Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Ultimate Magic (OGL)

3.10/5 (based on 48 ratings)
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Ultimate Magic (OGL)
Show Description For:
Non-Mint

Add Hardcover $44.99

Add PDF $9.99 $7.49

Add Non-Mint $39.99 $29.99

Facebook Twitter Email

Raise your character to the pinnacle of magical might with Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Ultimate Magic! Within this book, secrets arcane and divine lie ready to burst into life at the hands of all the spellcasting classes in the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game. In addition to the brand-new magus class—a master of both arcane magic and martial prowess—you'll also find a whole new system for spellcasting, rules for spell duels and other magical specialities, and pages upon pages of new spells, feats, and more. Because when it comes to magic, why settle for less than absolute power?

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Ultimate Magic is a must-have companion volume to the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook. This imaginitive tabletop game builds on more than 10 years of system development and an Open Playtest featuring more than 50,000 gamers to create a cutting-edge RPG experience that brings the all-time best-selling set of fantasy rules into the new millennium.

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Ultimate Magic includes:

  • The magus, a new base class combining deadly arcane magic with the skills and weapons of a trained warrior.
  • Words of power, an innovative and flexible new spellcasting system.
  • New options for dedicated casters, such as alchemist discoveries, alternative uses for channeled energy, druid companions, sorcerer bloodlines, eidolon abilities, witch hexes, and oracle mysteries.
  • Additional feats and magical abilities for martially oriented casters, including monk ki tricks, inquisitor archetypes, and ranger traps.
  • New magical conditions called spellblihgts, as well as systems for crafting constructs, binding outsiders, and spell-dueling.
  • More than 100 new spells, plus detailed guidelines for designing your own.
  • ... and much, much more!

ISBN-13: 978-1-60125-299-9

Downloads

Looking for more? Check out the Resources and Free Downloads available for the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game.

Errata
Last Updated - 03/30/2012

Note: This product is part of the Pathfinder Rulebook Subscription.

Product Availability

Hardcover:

Available now

Ships from our warehouse in 11 to 20 business days.

PDF:

Fulfilled immediately.

Non-Mint:

Available now

Ships from our warehouse in 11 to 20 business days.

This product is non-mint. Refunds are not available for non-mint products. The standard version of this product can be found here.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZO1117


See Also:

16 to 20 of 49 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Average product rating:

3.10/5 (based on 48 ratings)

Sign in to create or edit a product review.

If you like the magus, it's a no brainer

5/5

Archetypes and the new Magus class are worth the price of admission by themselves. The rest is just gravy, good kind of gravy.


This book is a disappointment

1/5

What I thought would have been an awesome addition to my RPG Library turns out to have fallen flat.

Some of the options here are just flat-out unbalanced in comparion to base classes.

The words of power was pretty much incomprehensable.

lots of editing issues.

Paizo your putting out too much, too fast without proper playtesting.

You're a great company lets not lose sight of that.


A solid book of options

4/5

Whilst it's true this book obviously had a difficult birth that led to some editorial mistakes, errors, and typos, it remains a good book of options that open up a lot of possibilities with more archetypes (which are numerous and flavorsome), feats, spells, etc. Obvious issues can easily be dealt with by the GM.


Ultimate Magic

4/5

While there still needs to be some updates regarding FAQs, there are issues, but I feel it's a better book than some obviously. I have written a full review on my blog.

Ultimate Magic Part 1


This is the only RPG book that I have ever returned

1/5

If I could give this book 0 stars, I would have. Other then the artwork, there was very little in this book that I would use without heavily homebrewing it first.


16 to 20 of 49 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
151 to 200 of 996 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Contributor

John Terra wrote:

Can't wait for this one!

Any chance that we'll see Pathfinder treatments for:

The Warlock
The Warmage
The Hexblade
The Duskblade??

I'm pretty sure those classes aren't Open content, and thus we can't touch them.


Drat! And naturally, most of them are precisely the classes that certain players in my campaign chose for their characters! Ah well. Thank God for 3.5 compatibility!

Nevertheless, I'm really psyched for this one!

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Card Game, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Warmage could be done using sorcerer relatively easy, duskblade can effectively be covered by the new magus, hexblade by a fighter/witch/eldritch knight combo. It's only warlock that is very difficult to do.


I hope they make Swift Channeling an OFFICIAL feat in this book.


I'm sure it's too much to hope for, but I really hope this book has all the Core rulebook and APG spells in it.

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Propane wrote:
I'm sure it's too much to hope for, but I really hope this book has all the Core rulebook and APG spells in it.

This book is largely new content, not a compendium.

Dark Archive

I'm really stoked about this book, additions for all classes 100+ spells, sold!!!
I have to ask if there will be a new character sheet in the back to help spell casting players organize prepared spells


Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Cross posting this from Ultimate Magic playtest so it might be seen.
In Races of Destiny there is a bard/sorc/wiz spell called I think Tranverse City which uses a stone from the city as a focus and teleports you to a random street location in the city. This is a great bard spell just from the flavor and GM possitbilites. I can see the bard and party appearing between two rival gangs just before they fight for dominance. Poping in and disrupting a noble progression and getting arrested. Lots of good gaming situations could present themselves.
What I would like is a similar bard spell in Ultimate Magic.

Doug


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I noticed some posters don't want anymore sorcerer bloodlines. My two cents...

If Paizo released 100 official sorcerer bloodlines in this book, I'd still want more! While the 20 bloodlines in the CR and APG (plus pestilence and orc from other products) are certainly a great start, the potential for yet more bloodlines is pretty much unlimited. Potentials off the top of my head:

Inevitable, daemon, rakshasa, Lovecraftian horror, shaman/spirit talker, qlippoth, genie, azata, racial (dwarf, elf, etc.), Thassilonian sin, aeon, lycanthrope, ooze, and oni.

And while I could also see the viability of "sub-bloodlines" that functioned as cleric sub-domains ("vampire" instead of just "undead"), brand new bloodlines will continue to have their place.

Dark Archive

Vic Wertz wrote:
Propane wrote:
I'm sure it's too much to hope for, but I really hope this book has all the Core rulebook and APG spells in it.
This book is largely new content, not a compendium.

How about updated spell lists for each class, and references to which book the spells are from? That would be ultra-cool! :)

Contributor

Asgetrion wrote:
How about updated spell lists for each class, and references to which book the spells are from? That would be ultra-cool! :)

Personally, I'd rather put that online, and not waste 20+ pages reprinting all that text....

Dark Archive

Sean K Reynolds wrote:
Asgetrion wrote:
How about updated spell lists for each class, and references to which book the spells are from? That would be ultra-cool! :)
Personally, I'd rather put that online, and not waste 20+ pages reprinting all that text....

SOLD!

Just remember you offered, so get to work. *cracks the whip*

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Screenshotted and stashed on my hard drive so I'll know who to assign this project to when it inevitably needs to be done over the course of a weekend or holiday break...

Contributor

James Jacobs wrote:
Screenshotted and stashed on my hard drive so I'll know who to assign this project to when it inevitably needs to be done over the course of a weekend or holiday break...

Feh, Photoshop will save me. :)

Liberty's Edge

Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories, PF Special Edition Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Sean K Reynolds wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Screenshotted and stashed on my hard drive so I'll know who to assign this project to when it inevitably needs to be done over the course of a weekend or holiday break...
Feh, Photoshop will save me. :)

This sounds like a Job for an Intern!!!..Or Mark..;)

Dark Archive

Sean K Reynolds wrote:
Asgetrion wrote:
How about updated spell lists for each class, and references to which book the spells are from? That would be ultra-cool! :)
Personally, I'd rather put that online, and not waste 20+ pages reprinting all that text....

That would be great, too! :)

Dark Archive

Dragnmoon wrote:
Sean K Reynolds wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Screenshotted and stashed on my hard drive so I'll know who to assign this project to when it inevitably needs to be done over the course of a weekend or holiday break...
Feh, Photoshop will save me. :)
This sounds like a Job for an Intern!!!..Or Mark..;)

Yeah, Mark should learn some humility... ;P


Love the cover.

Liberty's Edge

The_Minstrel_Wyrm wrote:
Paladinosaur wrote:
I know Paizo is very careful about introducing new prestige classes, but wont this book have any?

+1

I posted this elsewhere (another Ultimate Magic thread I think) but I'd like to see an "Eidolon Adept" PrC... basically a prestige class that does for Summoner what Master Chymist does for the Alchemist.

And, given the lack of arcane caster type PrC's in the APG... if I had to guess, I'd say that we're gonna see some here... in Ultimate Magic.

But, that's just a guess. :)

Dean (TMW)

Did we ever get confirmation that there will be PrC's?


I know this is a long ways off, but is there any chance the book might include undead familiars?


Is it too late to request a Pathfinder version of something akin to the Practiced Spellcaster +4 caster level feat in this book. I understand there is the Magical Knack trait that gives a +2 available, but not all GM's allow traits and also if someone were to play something such as a Mystic Theurge they would not be adequately covered on both sides.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Well, I hope for a Cloistered Cleric archetype for the Cleric class and not again only new sub-domains. :)


I shall sacrifice TWO of thine goats tonight in honor of this bound and printed text! Riddled with excitement and anticipation am I, the ever Paizo-fearing man I am.


GIVE ME NOW!!! also the cloistered cleric variant is still valid imho does not really need any changes, i'm actually playing one atm in one of my groups


Can't wait for this awesome tome of mystical might.


any new cleric arch types would be pretty good...


Yeah some arch types for clerics would be better than those sub domains but some new "real" domains would be awesome.


I did NOT like the Sub Domains for the clerics OR the sub schools for the wizards.

I'm still looking for a Frostmage style prc for PAthfinder's wizard, sorcerer and the Witch........


I am very late to this discussion.

With some info on Ninja's, samurai, etc., will there by any suggestions / archetypes for the casters from Oriental Adventures. i.e. an Archetype for Wujen (based off wizard), Shaman (based off of Oracle or Cleric?) or would something of this nature be in the Tian Xia book?

Or perhaps nothing at all?

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Companion, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Steelfiredragon wrote:
I'm still looking for a Frostmage style prc for PAthfinder's wizard, sorcerer and the Witch........

Did you check out the boreal sorcerer bloodline in the APG?

Contributor

We'll be releasing more information about the contents of the book as we approach it's release date.


Shisumo wrote:
Steelfiredragon wrote:
I'm still looking for a Frostmage style prc for PAthfinder's wizard, sorcerer and the Witch........
Did you check out the boreal sorcerer bloodline in the APG?

which would only work for a sorcerer and not a witch or a wizard...


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Kerobelis wrote:

I am very late to this discussion.

With some info on Ninja's, samurai, etc., will there by any suggestions / archetypes for the casters from Oriental Adventures. i.e. an Archetype for Wujen (based off wizard), Shaman (based off of Oracle or Cleric?) or would something of this nature be in the Tian Xia book?

Or perhaps nothing at all?

The Inner Sea World Guide will have archetypes pretaining to the Inner Sea region. It stands to reason that the Tian Xia World Guide will have Tian-Xia-ian archetypes. Whether one of these archetypes will be a wu jen? Who knows. As far as I can tell, the wu jen was created wholesale for Dungeons and Dragons. It has an "Asian" feel, but I don't think it's based off any particular sect/religion/practice.

Wu shamanism, on the other hand, is an ancient religion that is still practiced today. Paizo tends to be leery about transforming living religions into RPG fodder - though they did a good job with Juju, Golarion's Voodoo/Vodun.

Dark Archive

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber
Steelfiredragon wrote:
Shisumo wrote:
Steelfiredragon wrote:
I'm still looking for a Frostmage style prc for PAthfinder's wizard, sorcerer and the Witch........
Did you check out the boreal sorcerer bloodline in the APG?

which would only work for a sorcerer and not a witch or a wizard...

There is a School of Ice in Genius Guide: Ice Magic. Available here.


Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Generic Villain wrote:

The Inner Sea World Guide will have archetypes pretaining to the Inner Sea region. It stands to reason that the Tian Xia World Guide will have Tian-Xia-ian archetypes.

Actually, just to keep expectations managed, the Inner Sea World Guide will NOT contain any archetypes. This is according to the product description and Paizo employees...


Pathfinder Companion Subscriber
Kerobelis wrote:
(...) i.e. an Archetype for Wujen (based off wizard) (...)

To me, the APG Elemental School Specialisations reminded me of the AD&D version of the Wu-Jen but Metal and Wood Schools could be cool with Tian Xia.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Joseph Wilson wrote:


Actually, just to keep expectations managed, the Inner Sea World Guide will NOT contain any archetypes. This is according to the product description and Paizo employees...

For real? Well paint me stupid, I could've sworn...


I was on the fence with Ultimate Magic due to the Words of Power system seeming unrefined in the last playtest phase. Then I read three little words that sold this book to me, all other content aside.

VERMIN ANIMAL COMPANIONS.

So long as that is PFS legal, you have sold one additional $40 book!

And it otta be out just in time for my birthday! Paizo, you really do love me!


Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path Subscriber

What's this I keep reading around the boards about this book having "Oriental content"?? People are saying we don't need a crunch book for Tien-Xia because all the crunch will be in Ultimate Combat (with the ninja and samurai) and Ultimate Magic, but it doesn't say in the product description what "oriental" content will be in the book!


DougErvin wrote:

Cross posting this from Ultimate Magic playtest so it might be seen.

In Races of Destiny there is a bard/sorc/wiz spell called I think Tranverse City which uses a stone from the city as a focus and teleports you to a random street location in the city. This is a great bard spell just from the flavor and GM possitbilites. I can see the bard and party appearing between two rival gangs just before they fight for dominance. Poping in and disrupting a noble progression and getting arrested. Lots of good gaming situations could present themselves.
What I would like is a similar bard spell in Ultimate Magic.

Doug

What's wrong with using the spell from Cityscape? PF is backwards compatible, after all. (Personally, I don't want repeats from WotC material)


Does the book have any magic items in it?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Razz wrote:
DougErvin wrote:

Cross posting this from Ultimate Magic playtest so it might be seen.

In Races of Destiny there is a bard/sorc/wiz spell called I think Tranverse City which uses a stone from the city as a focus and teleports you to a random street location in the city. This is a great bard spell just from the flavor and GM possitbilites. I can see the bard and party appearing between two rival gangs just before they fight for dominance. Poping in and disrupting a noble progression and getting arrested. Lots of good gaming situations could present themselves.
What I would like is a similar bard spell in Ultimate Magic.

Doug

What's wrong with using the spell from Cityscape? PF is backwards compatible, after all. (Personally, I don't want repeats from WotC material)

Cityscape sucks. Also, I somewhat doubt that the "yeah, let's not release a book on this and just point customers to our competition" argument crosses Paizo's minds a lot ;)

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Rulebook Subscriber
Sean K Reynolds wrote:
We'll be releasing more information about the contents of the book as we approach it's release date.

Do we have a more concrete release day then mid-april? Is it off to the printers, in cargo containers on the ocean, held within Treebole by the vile Treerazor until suitable sacrifice of elves is performed?

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Rulebook Subscriber
Gorbacz wrote:
Razz wrote:
DougErvin wrote:

Cross posting this from Ultimate Magic playtest so it might be seen.

In Races of Destiny there is a bard/sorc/wiz spell called I think Tranverse City which uses a stone from the city as a focus and teleports you to a random street location in the city. This is a great bard spell just from the flavor and GM possitbilites. I can see the bard and party appearing between two rival gangs just before they fight for dominance. Poping in and disrupting a noble progression and getting arrested. Lots of good gaming situations could present themselves.
What I would like is a similar bard spell in Ultimate Magic.

Doug

What's wrong with using the spell from Cityscape? PF is backwards compatible, after all. (Personally, I don't want repeats from WotC material)
Cityscape sucks. Also, I somewhat doubt that the "yeah, let's not release a book on this and just point customers to our competition" argument crosses Paizo's minds a lot ;)

I was under the impression that Paizo was embracing the old OGL model, in that when the Pathfinder ecology thrives with third party material, then that mean the core is thriving as well.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Galnörag wrote:
Gorbacz wrote:
Razz wrote:
DougErvin wrote:

Cross posting this from Ultimate Magic playtest so it might be seen.

In Races of Destiny there is a bard/sorc/wiz spell called I think Tranverse City which uses a stone from the city as a focus and teleports you to a random street location in the city. This is a great bard spell just from the flavor and GM possitbilites. I can see the bard and party appearing between two rival gangs just before they fight for dominance. Poping in and disrupting a noble progression and getting arrested. Lots of good gaming situations could present themselves.
What I would like is a similar bard spell in Ultimate Magic.

Doug

What's wrong with using the spell from Cityscape? PF is backwards compatible, after all. (Personally, I don't want repeats from WotC material)
Cityscape sucks. Also, I somewhat doubt that the "yeah, let's not release a book on this and just point customers to our competition" argument crosses Paizo's minds a lot ;)

I was under the impression that Paizo was embracing the old OGL model, in that when the Pathfinder ecology thrives with third party material, then that mean the core is thriving as well.

Of course. But it's not like they won't release something because WotC did something on that subject (also, note: WotC stuff was closed content).


Galnörag wrote:
Do we have a more concrete release day then mid-april? Is it off to the printers, in cargo containers on the ocean, held within Treebole by the vile Treerazor until suitable sacrifice of elves is performed?

Until the book reaches Paizo's warehouse, we're not going to get a more specific date than mid-April, since a lot of factors can delay the arrival of the book.

I do believe it's been sent off to the printer, though.


The Painted Oryx wrote:
What's this I keep reading around the boards about this book having "Oriental content"?? People are saying we don't need a crunch book for Tien-Xia because all the crunch will be in Ultimate Combat (with the ninja and samurai) and Ultimate Magic, but it doesn't say in the product description what "oriental" content will be in the book!

I'd imagine an archetype or two would be added to Ultimate Magic just the same as there are a couple archetypes being added to Ultimate Combat. However, the spellcaster archetypes are probably not as involved (for lack of a better word) than the ninja and samurai archetypes (as well as not having the same number of fans who demand to see them) so they didn't get an advance preview.

I'd bet that there might be a page or two in any Tien-Xia book listing archetypes that fit the oriental theme, as well as some crunch that is specific to that setting. "Generic" crunch (even themed crunch) most likely belongs in the non-Golarion rulebooks.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I really hope this one doesn't get pushed back and is released in April... I'm waiting for those new sorcerer bloodlines with baited breath.

*Crosses fingers*


Gorbacz wrote:


Cityscape sucks. Also, I somewhat doubt that the "yeah, let's not release a book on this and just point customers to our competition" argument crosses Paizo's minds a lot ;)

It was a horrible book, I admit. It was so underwhelming. Half the material being repeat of the DMG Web Enhancement was annoying, too.

Dungeonscape was much better, but still lacking. When WotC started penny-pinching and dropping their book page numbers down, I knew the inevitable was coming. The environmental books were 224+ pages, yet Dungeonscape and Cityscape, two environments that needed at least 224+ pages considering how common those areas are explored, got the shaft!

ON TOPIC: So, when're we getting a "Final Draft" for the Magus and some other tidbits from UM? It's only a little over a month away now!

Dark Archive

Razz wrote:

The environmental books were 224+ pages, yet Dungeonscape and Cityscape, two environments that needed at least 224+ pages considering how common those areas are explored, got the shaft!

[tangent] Frostburn and Sandstorm were so darn good, too. Just dripping with useful stuff. Stormwrack was, IMO, still great, but not quite as amazing, and then Cityscape and Dungeonscape just fell flat, for me. They spoiled us with the early stuff. Indeed, that happened quite a bit. Draconomicon and Libris Mortis felt much more densely packed with good stuff, compared to Lords of Madness and Drow of the Underdark. [/tangent]

151 to 200 of 996 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Ultimate Magic (OGL) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.