Pathfinder Society Scenario #2-EX: The Midnight Mauler (PFRPG) PDF

4.30/5 (based on 12 ratings)

Our Price: $3.99

Unavailable

Facebook Twitter Email

A Pathfinder Society Scenario designed for 1st to 7th level characters (Tiers: 1–2, 3–4, and 6–7).

The Decemvirate sends members of the Pathfinder Society to the former crown jewel of Ustalav's royal courts, the decaying city of Ardis. Tasked by the Society to look into the fate of Absalom's former Master of Blades, Vonran Vilk, what they find will lead to exploration, diplomacy, murder, haunted pasts, and tragic love. Can the PCs stop the rampage of the Midnight Mauler before he kills again?

The Midnight Mauler is an exclusive adventure to be run only by 4-star GMs and Venture-Captains for its first year.

Written by Crystal Frasier

This scenario is designed for play in Pathfinder Society Organized Play, but can easily be adapted for use with any world. This scenario is compliant with the Open Game License (OGL) and is suitable for use with the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game.

Note: This scenario has been updated from its exclusive version for public release. Purchasers have access to both the exclusive version released as Pathfinder Society Scenario #2–EX and Pathfinder Society Scenario #3–16, but as of February 29, 2012, only the latter is legal for Pathfinder Society organized play. Except for minor changes involving faction missions and general copyediting, both versions of the scenario are the same; only the legal version of the scenario contains a Chronicle sheet.

Product Availability

Unavailable

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZOPSS02EXE


See Also:

6 to 10 of 12 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>

Average product rating:

4.30/5 (based on 12 ratings)

Sign in to create or edit a product review.

Needs a lot of tweaking

2/5

This mod is not your typical four-encounters-with-some-RP-in-the-middle PFS scenario, and it has an intriguing storyline that is atypical of most PFS mods.

That being said, Midnight Mauler might try a little too hard to buck PFS trends, in turn, making for a rather unsatisfying scenario. Scenarios need to have a little something for every character, but this one leaves many characters helpless with an endless barrage of social and/or physical skill checks. While skill-based scenes within a mod can certainly be enjoyable (see We Be Goblins!), Midnight Mauler can leave an entire party feeling unsatisfied. If checks are not done within a specific timeframe, the entire party fails and takes a permanent negative to their character. The DCs are static across the tiers, leaving players in the 1-2 tier at a horrible disadvantage. I personally do not see how the average tier 1-2 party could successfully make it through this module. These skill checks do not encourage players to act as a party, and they almost seem to punish lower level parties and parties with average to low charisma. One or two low rolls at the end of the game, and you've lost.

The faction missions also contain high DCs and no time within the story to actually complete them. In fact, you are dissuaded from doing them, which makes you wonder what the point of factions and faction missions are in the first place. PCs must make a choice between faction missions and the main storyline. And even when they choose to forgo PA, there's a very good possibility that they will still fail the entire mission.

There is a space between challenging and impossible; unfortunately, this mod leans towards the latter.


A Howling Good Time

5/5

I've now had the pleasure of running this 8 times in addition to playing it.

The Midnight Mauler has the following qualities:

  • Extremely well written and designed.
  • Forces players to use skills often overlooked and come up with creative solutions.
  • Includes several iconic foes.
  • Set in one of the most richly flavored lands in all of Golarion.
  • One of the easiest and most enjoyable scenarios to prepare.
  • Fast paced, action packed.
  • Underwhelming encounters if the players are just looking to kill stuff and take their loot.

This scenario should definitely be on your "can't miss" list for low level scenarios. I recommend playing it at subtier 3-4 if at all possible. Second choice should be 1-2.


Crystal FTW!

4/5

I've run this scenario 18 times now and I am still not tired of it. It has a simple plot and moves very fast without seeming like a railroad. The combat elements are a let-down but the strength of the scenario's role-play elements make up for the short fights. I enjoy running this scenario because the objectives allow for the players to be creative with their problem-solving. The scenario allows the GM a lot of flexibility to improvise and have a lot of fun. The faction missions are good for the most part, a step up from what has become the status quo. The campaign setting flavor takes some work on the GM's part in order to bring to the surface. Overall it's a very entertaining scenario and worth the effort to prep and run as much as possible.


excellent cinematic movie style scenario

5/5

A who done it style adventure geared towards using the Who's information to locate the one that done it. The NPCs are some of the most creative fleshed out ones I come across. The combats had a thematic location that avoided the 'run straight smash approach', a more thought out maneuver and attack was necessary. Then there is the whole clock ticking aspect, can you solve the mystery before another murder takes place and capture the BBEG in time.


Very solid scenario with many new options!

4/5

I've got a large write up I did about some adjustments and roleplaying flavor one can add to give this scenario a bit more pizazz. Email me at mbrock@georgiapfs.org if you want a copy.


6 to 10 of 12 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
Paizo Employee Franchise Manager

Now available (to 4-star GMs and Venture-Captains)! Will go on sale for anyone to purchase and/or run next February. Until then, if you want to play this, find a 4-star GM or Venture-Captain and ask them to run you through it.

Grand Lodge

Mark Moreland wrote:
Until then, if you want to play this, find a 4-star GM or Venture-Captain and ask them to run you through it.

I'm very excited to start running this in the Grand Lodge of Indianapolis! Thank you Paizo for this awesome exclusive!

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Mark Moreland wrote:
Now available (to 4-star GMs and Venture-Captains)! Will go on sale for anyone to purchase and/or run next February. Until then, if you want to play this, find a 4-star GM or Venture-Captain and ask them to run you through it.

You do know that holding off a scenario written by The Goddess Herself away from general public is a crime, right? That you will BURNINATE in HELL while DEVILS will pour HIGH OCTANE NIGHTMARE FUEL into your SKULL?

Just so you know, Mr. Moreland. You're a bad, bad man.


The Evil Midnight Mauler what mauls at midnight!

Liberty's Edge Contributor

Gorbacz wrote:

You do know that holding off a scenario written by The Goddess Herself away from general public is a crime, right? That you will BURNINATE in HELL while DEVILS will pour HIGH OCTANE NIGHTMARE FUEL into your SKULL?

Just so you know, Mr. Moreland. You're a bad, bad man.

Peace, my son. This is but a small part of my Plan for you all. 4-star GM status is the first step to entitlement.

Also, the scenario will be available to everyone in one year's time.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

WE'RE NOT WORTHY! WE'RE NOT WORTHY!

*scuttles off and gets back to his plan of converting entire Polish D&D fanbase to Pathfinder and kicking off PFS at Polish cons*

Grand Lodge

Tangible Delusions wrote:
The Evil Midnight Mauler what mauls at midnight!

"Keep playing with fire super pants, you don't know how much fire you're playing with!"

Shadow Lodge

Played it today. Enjoyed greatly.

Shadow Lodge

This is one of the BEST MODS EVER!


Is there a place that lists contact information for the Venture-Captains and/or 4-5 Star Judges?


FrozenTundra wrote:
Is there a place that lists contact information for the Venture-Captains and/or 4-5 Star Judges?

A list of venture captains can be found here.

TwilightKnight is the only 4 or 5 star judge that's not a Venture Captain (yet?). He's out of NW Indiana.

Jason Roeder is a 4-star GM and VC, Doug Miles is a 5-star GM and VC.

Sometime around the end of this month, early next month, I'll have my 4th star as well. (Detroit) There are a few other individuals who are also close to their 4th star as well.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Is it February yet?

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

I think Crystal Frasier is becoming my favorite PFS scenario writer.

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Superscriber

To add to the kudos, Venture-Captain Dave Woodfin ran the Midnight Mauler for some of us Austin folk this past weekend, and a good time was had by all. Thanks for running, Dave, and thanks for the fun module, Crystal. ^_^ Playing as a new character at Tier 3-4 made for some interesting and exciting times. ^^;

Sovereign Court

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure, Companion, Lost Omens, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Paizo Store wrote:


Product Availability
Will be available for purchase approximately Wed, Feb 1, 2012.

This is a mistake, isn't it?

Cheers,
G.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Guennarr wrote:
Paizo Store wrote:


Product Availability
Will be available for purchase approximately Wed, Feb 1, 2012.

This is a mistake, isn't it?

Cheers,
G.

Paizo Store wrote:


The Midnight Mauler is an exclusive adventure to be run only by 4-star GMs and Venture-Captains for its first year.

Dark Archive

Wow! Can't wait to order this, so it can be ran May 5th or 6th at Demicon 23. So fits the theme of the convention 'Full Moon Fantasy' and is 1st level to boot; perfect. Woot!

Liberty's Edge

Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
thrikreed wrote:
Wow! Can't wait to order this, so it can be ran May 5th or 6th at Demicon 23. So fits the theme of the convention 'Full Moon Fantasy' and is 1st level to boot; perfect. Woot!

Sorry to disappoint you but this is a relic and won't be released in this form.

It has been updated for PFS Season 3 here and is going to be level 3-7 not level 1.

Dark Archive

Dragnmoon wrote:
thrikreed wrote:
Wow! Can't wait to order this, so it can be ran May 5th or 6th at Demicon 23. So fits the theme of the convention 'Full Moon Fantasy' and is 1st level to boot; perfect. Woot!

Sorry to disappoint you but this is a relic and won't be released in this form.

It has been updated for PFS Season 3 here and is going to be level 3-7 not level 1.

Yeah, I'm a bit disappointed at this news. I'm still probably going to run it because it fits the convention's theme... However, since my goal is to introduce new players to the game; I guess I'll just have to print off a bunch of the 4th level pre-generated characters.


This version does not appear to have a Chronicle sheet? Are we supposed to be buying the other version for official play?


DMFTodd wrote:
This version does not appear to have a Chronicle sheet? Are we supposed to be buying the other version for official play?

Yes. This version is no longer legal for play.

'Product description' wrote:
Note: This scenario has been updated from its exclusive version for public release. Purchasers have access to both the exclusive version released as Pathfinder Society Scenario #2–EX and Pathfinder Society Scenario #3–16, but as of February 29, 2012, only the latter is legal for Pathfinder Society organized play. Except for minor changes involving faction missions and general copyediting, both versions of the scenario are the same; only the legal version of the scenario contains a Chronicle sheet.


Ah, reading fail on my part. Thanks.

And for anyone as dumb as me: The download has both versions in it. Inside the zip is the extended version and a folder. Inside that folder is the #3-16 version with the chronicle sheet.

Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / Pathfinder Society Scenario #2-EX: The Midnight Mauler (PFRPG) PDF All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.