Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Misfit Monsters Redeemed (PFRPG)

4.80/5 (based on 8 ratings)
Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Misfit Monsters Redeemed (PFRPG)
Show Description For:
Non-Mint

Add Print Edition $19.99 $10.00

Add PDF $13.99 $10.49

Non-Mint Unavailable

Facebook Twitter Email

Everyone Deserves a Second Chance

Over the course of its decades-long history, fantasy gaming has produced countless monsters both terrifying and alien, some pulled from mythology and others sprung full-formed from the twisted imaginations of their creators. Yet as with any idea, not every monster can be a winner. Or can it?

With Misfit Monsters Redeemed, Paizo Publishing has taken 10 of the most notoriously bad monsters in RPG history—the lamest, most hated, and flat-out silliest creatures in the genre—and attempted to make them fun allies and adversaries for players and Game Masters alike. Each monster comes complete with updated statistics for the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, lengthy ecologies explaining how the monsters behave and why they are the way they are, tips on how Game Masters can use them in a campaign, notes on how to fit the monsters into the world of the Pathfinder campaign setting or your own home game, and more.

    Inside this 64-page book, you'll find monsters such as:
  • Flumphs, everyone's favorite flying jellyfish monster, come from the stars to warn innocent civilizations of the cosmic horrors lurking in the darkness.
  • Disenchanters, the blue-furred camels who live to prey on adventurers' magical gear.
  • Flail snails, the magic-warping gastropods who weave slowly through the subterranean Darklands, writing epic poetry with their slime trails.
  • Doom-screeching dire corbies, the bird-headed terrors of the darkest caverns.
  • Lurking rays, the stealthy ambush predators that are really three manta-like monsters in one: the executioner's hood, the trapper, and the lurker above.
  • Adherers, those sticky, mummy-like monstrosities whose wrappings of flayed skin are the scarred relics of a horrible experiment by phase spiders from the Ethereal Plane.
  • Other loveable losers like the delver, the lava child, the tojanida, and of course, the infamous wolf-in-sheep's-clothing!

Misfit Monsters Redeemed is intended for use with the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game and Pathfinder campaign setting, but can easily be used in any fantasy game setting.

ISBN-13: 978-1-60125-270-8

Note: This product is part of the Pathfinder Lost Omens Subscription.

Product Availability

Print Edition:

Available now

Ships from our warehouse in 11 to 20 business days.

PDF:

Fulfilled immediately.

Non-Mint:

Unavailable

This product is non-mint. Refunds are not available for non-mint products. The standard version of this product can be found here.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZO9227


See Also:

1 to 5 of 8 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>

Average product rating:

4.80/5 (based on 8 ratings)

Sign in to create or edit a product review.

Warning: Terrifying!

5/5

I bought this book because it featured an old relic: Wolfs in Sheep's clothing. While the original concept of them was just a living log with a bunny, Paizo has managed to give me NIGHT TERRORS about these things. They now insert their vines into corpses, and animate them like puppets. Sure, this sounds like something not TOO bad, but that's just the beginning. I flipped through the pages, and noticed an image of the Druid Iconic, 'Lini', sitting on the WOSC. This was slightly scary, but there was something different about her. I couldn't figure out what it was. So I kept looking through the book, until I came to the last chapter, talking about these monsters. But what was truly terrifying was the image of the beast, dragging the Druid towards it, preparing to kill her. I flipped back to the first picture, and figured out what is was. Her skin was cracked and decayed, and a root attached to her back...


5/5

I've reviewed this book over on RPGGeek.com.


Great choices

5/5

This book re-presents some of the weirdest monsters to come out of dnd over the years. I eagerly read this book and wanted to use everything inside. In the Sargava game I’ve been running prior to all the new material to aid games set there, I wanted to populate the southern continent with new and unusual monsters. I trawled through manuals grabbing monsters from other systems, other d20 products and fringe material. I actually added in a region well-populated by the flail snails, which the party travelled to, so it is amusing to see them added to golarion. What made me chuckle was the point that they can be found on all levels of the darklands (more encounters ahead delvers) and that they are actually intelligent and Zen Buddhist like in their philosophy. When the party of my game ran into them, spells re-bounded, hit allies, someone got set on fire, causing quite the fuss. It was really very funny. They are a counter to warlocks or invokers. Note: do not use the base reflection rules, use the d100 table provided, it adds a lot more possibilities. Moar flail snails!

The other monsters can be quite the added treat. I’ll throw in the adherer although I already did something similar by taking your average Osirion mummy, give him some fighter levels and the weapon locking feat. The various lurking rays are perfect to turn a bit of spelunking into a horror game, cornbys could be added as fringe tribes in unexplored regions, disenchanters could follow wizards around who have all their body slots filled (although I prefer nishruus), and the wolf-in-sheep’s clothing could get quite a chuckle, but a savvy adventurer will know to stay back from what is cute and fuzzy in nature.

Enjoyed it too much not to give it five stars.


Misfits no more

5/5

Okay heres the deal I've played this game for more years than i care to think about and yeah there are some real stinkers out there. I was initially unsure about this title until I read that the wolf in sheeps clothing was getting reworked. A fan of the old expedition to the barrier peaks I had to see if the rework would make an old favorite of mine usable again. Much to my surprise it is as are most of the others in this book. There are a couple that although strictly speaking more playable than they used to be are still just a bit too odd to see much long term use. Everything in misfits could be used once or twice with ease and some of the creatures many times. Kudos to Paizo for bringing out the weird and making if fun. I personally would like to see a book 2 of fan voted stinkers reworked. How about it Paizo 10 more ?


Gives you ideas you never thought you wanted....

5/5

Because of this book, flumphs have just become a critical part of one of my campaigns. That's how seriously it turns the critters around, people.

It takes some of the most loathed monsters in the history of the game, and it makes them into creatures that are awesome, if not necessarily 100% serious (flail snails remain a little on the silly side - that said, they're intelligently on the silly side.) And Dire Corbies have become downright scary, in a Descent kinda way.


1 to 5 of 8 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
401 to 422 of 422 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | next > last >>
Paizo Employee Managing Developer

Mairkurion {tm} wrote:
If he can raise flumphs above my ridicule, his Contributor tag should have Optimus Maximus added to it.

So...what's the verdict, King Leafy? ;)

Some Background Refresher:
Mairkurion wrote:
Can I order mine but hold the Flumph?
"Adam Daigle" wrote:

You are only building yourself up for defeat. You cannot resist the power of the flumph.

You've sat there with a leafy head being all clever and everything, but one of my main goals in writing this piece was to make you ashamed you've ever bad-mouthed flumphs. Sure, I know that's a high bar to set, but I set it. I'm also confident that I'll at least partially win you over.

Dark Archive

Adam Daigle wrote:
Mairkurion {tm} wrote:
If he can raise flumphs above my ridicule, his Contributor tag should have Optimus Maximus added to it.

So...what's the verdict, King Leafy? ;)

** spoiler omitted **

Don't even bother, Adam -- that ancient fool of a treant has already forgetten all about this! ;P

Dark Archive

David Fryer wrote:
Asgetrion wrote:


What about Dire Corby? Is it well-designed? What sort of abilities does it have? Any links to Pazuzu?
Yep, it is very well designed. As far as abilities go, it is pretty much a straight forward melee fighter with an ability to "Leap" into combat. Basically that lets them make a charge and an Athletics check. If they make the check they get to make a full attack and use rend. And yes, they are rumored to be the cursed spawn of Pazuzu who turned their back on him and were cursed for it.

You know, I took a quick glance at this at my FLGS, but I was in a hurry and did not have time to read the monster entries properly. I was impressed by the art, but thought I'd probably skip it; the only ones I've been really interested in are the Lurker Above and Dire Corby (and even then I was not sure about DC). But your post makes Dire Corby seem like a really cool monster -- even though you should be ashamed, David, because there're no Athletics checks in PF -- and I think they'll be a perfect fit for my Pazuzu-themed adventure! I guess I'll have to buy it after all... :)

Shadow Lodge

Where the Duckbunny is??

Dark Archive

Asgetrion wrote:
...even though you should be ashamed, David, because there're no Athletics checks in PF...

Sorry, I meant Acrobatics. The only game I can find right now is a 4ed game, but I am hoping to start a Pathfinder game after the first of the year.

Dark Archive

David Fryer wrote:
Asgetrion wrote:
...even though you should be ashamed, David, because there're no Athletics checks in PF...
Sorry, I meant Acrobatics. The only game I can find right now is a 4ed game, but I am hoping to start a Pathfinder game after the first of the year.

Well, that is not an excuse for a Chelaxian -- as superior beings, everybody expects better of us! ;)

ATM I'm playing in one PF game and running another; pretty soon I'll start running PF for newbies at my library (one long adventure and then they have to form a group). I wish I could find a 4E game around here, because I'd like to try it as a player. :)

Dark Archive

Asgetrion wrote:
David Fryer wrote:
Asgetrion wrote:
...even though you should be ashamed, David, because there're no Athletics checks in PF...
Sorry, I meant Acrobatics. The only game I can find right now is a 4ed game, but I am hoping to start a Pathfinder game after the first of the year.

Well, that is not an excuse for a Chelaxian -- as superior beings, everybody expects better of us! ;)

ATM I'm playing in one PF game and running another; pretty soon I'll start running PF for newbies at my library (one long adventure and then they have to form a group). I wish I could find a 4E game around here, because I'd like to try it as a player. :)

[threadjack]Does your FLGS run D&D Encounters? That is what I am playing in.[/threadjack]

Dark Archive

David Fryer wrote:
Asgetrion wrote:
David Fryer wrote:
Asgetrion wrote:
...even though you should be ashamed, David, because there're no Athletics checks in PF...
Sorry, I meant Acrobatics. The only game I can find right now is a 4ed game, but I am hoping to start a Pathfinder game after the first of the year.

Well, that is not an excuse for a Chelaxian -- as superior beings, everybody expects better of us! ;)

ATM I'm playing in one PF game and running another; pretty soon I'll start running PF for newbies at my library (one long adventure and then they have to form a group). I wish I could find a 4E game around here, because I'd like to try it as a player. :)

[threadjack]Does your FLGS run D&D Encounters? That is what I am playing in.[/threadjack]

No, they don't; they used to have a gaming room, but not anymore (and even back then it was reserved for Magic and Warhammer players, I think). And the shop is absolutely crammed with shelves, so they couldn't fit a table even if they wanted to. In fact, they asked the city library to help with organizing D&D events, because we have plenty of space. However, if the rumours about the "mandatory" purchases of fortune decks turns out to be true, we have to decline. And none of the staffers have run 4E (to my knowledge), so any gaming activity we're going to organize solely on our own won't involve D&D (PF is another story; and I'm not the only potential GM).


Adam Daigle wrote:
Mairkurion {tm} wrote:
If he can raise flumphs above my ridicule, his Contributor tag should have Optimus Maximus added to it.

So...what's the verdict, King Leafy? ;)

** spoiler omitted **

Actually, no, I haven't forgotten! (Pitiful dwarf.) I haven't had the extra cabbage for it, but I finally saw it at the game store! I checked how the tojanaida (WOW) and was going to check out the flumph, but the manager kept wanting to talk to me and then I ran out of time and had to bolt. Next time I can make it over there, even if I don't have the clams, I'll check the flumph for sure. (BTW, did you ever consider giving it a cooler spelling? Like pflumgh?)


Adam Daigle wrote:
Werd!

I just placed it on my shelf. I think this will get as much use for reference purposes as the PCCS book, according to what I've done so far.

Wolf-in-Sheep's-Clothing is perfect for a random encounter in the Kingmaker Adventure Path, btw.

Dark Archive

Beercifer wrote:

Wolf-in-Sheep's-Clothing is perfect for a random encounter in the Kingmaker Adventure Path, btw.

Odd, I was thinking the same thing.


Kajehase wrote:
Tojanida pictures.

I'm looking through the gallery. The Great Old One did something that is rare from just looking at pictures: I shudder from how creepy this thing is. I'm a Lovecraft fan and that was spooky even by my jaded standards.

Dark Archive

Hoh, so, at David's suggestion I went and bought this today at my FLGS! And even though I've only skimmed it, the entries look pretty good to me -- I love the Dire Corby, Adherer and Lurking Ray! :)

Dark Archive

Wow, I *LOVE* the adherer's background story... amazing, creepy and deranged stuff! It's tough to make a devil-worshipping Chelaxian dwarf feel uneasy about something, but even I felt a (tiny) shudder as I was reading it. Now I'm dying to use a phase Spider + some adherer minions. Great work, Jason! :)

@Colin: Is there any particular reason why lurking rays don't get to Envelope their targets? I mean, the bigger ones are *huge*, and they can only grab a *single* target if they hit with their bite? And it's not even a touch attack, like I had assumed. Back in AD&D these lurkers were horrifying, because they could wrap around a whole party of adventurers. And why is the target not blinded -- or why can its allies hit the lurker without the usual 50/50 damage between the enveloping creature and its victim? I mean, the cloaker has it, in this very book the adherer shroud variant does, too (Binding Shround).

Contributor

Asgetrion wrote:

Wow, I *LOVE* the adherer's background story... amazing, creepy and deranged stuff! It's tough to make a devil-worshipping Chelaxian dwarf feel uneasy about something, but even I felt a (tiny) shudder as I was reading it. Now I'm dying to use a phase Spider + some adherer minions. Great work, Jason! :)

@Colin: Is there any particular reason why lurking rays don't get to Envelope their targets? I mean, the bigger ones are *huge*, and they can only grab a *single* target if they hit with their bite? And it's not even a touch attack, like I had assumed. Back in AD&D these lurkers were horrifying, because they could wrap around a whole party of adventurers. And why is the target not blinded -- or why can its allies hit the lurker without the usual 50/50 damage between the enveloping creature and its victim? I mean, the cloaker has it, in this very book the adherer shroud variant does, too (Binding Shround).

That's because of... of... I... would a ninja smoke bomb be appropriate here? I can only say it was an oversight.

The lurker above gets one target because it's a predator, focusing on an individual, but should definitely get the 50/50 damage.

For the trapper, you should definitely include Envelope as an attack that can take 1 character for a M size, 1d2 for an L-sized ray, 1d4 for Huge, and 1d6 for anything larger.

Many apologies.

Dark Archive

Colin McComb wrote:
Asgetrion wrote:

Wow, I *LOVE* the adherer's background story... amazing, creepy and deranged stuff! It's tough to make a devil-worshipping Chelaxian dwarf feel uneasy about something, but even I felt a (tiny) shudder as I was reading it. Now I'm dying to use a phase Spider + some adherer minions. Great work, Jason! :)

@Colin: Is there any particular reason why lurking rays don't get to Envelope their targets? I mean, the bigger ones are *huge*, and they can only grab a *single* target if they hit with their bite? And it's not even a touch attack, like I had assumed. Back in AD&D these lurkers were horrifying, because they could wrap around a whole party of adventurers. And why is the target not blinded -- or why can its allies hit the lurker without the usual 50/50 damage between the enveloping creature and its victim? I mean, the cloaker has it, in this very book the adherer shroud variant does, too (Binding Shround).

That's because of... of... I... would a ninja smoke bomb be appropriate here? I can only say it was an oversight.

The lurker above gets one target because it's a predator, focusing on an individual, but should definitely get the 50/50 damage.

For the trapper, you should definitely include Envelope as an attack that can take 1 character for a M size, 1d2 for an L-sized ray, 1d4 for Huge, and 1d6 for anything larger.

Many apologies.

Many thanks, Colin! No need to apologise -- that is exactly what I wanted to know! I was asking this because I love what you did with the lurking rays, and I'm going to include a couple of lurkers above and a trapper in my next adventure. And, your point about LA being a predator didn't even occur to me, but it makes perfect sense. :)

(By the way, you would have used a ninja bomb against a Favored Disciple of Asmodeus?!? Good grief, man -- I breathe hellfire, and 'Smoke' is my middle name! You cannot escape me with such parlor tricks! ;))

Contributor

Asgetrion wrote:


Many thanks, Colin! No need to apologise -- that is exactly what I wanted to know! I was asking this because I love what you did with the lurking rays, and I'm going to include a couple of lurkers above and a trapper in my next adventure. And, your point about LA being a predator didn't even occur to me, but it makes perfect sense. :)

(By the way, you would have used a ninja bomb against a Favored Disciple of Asmodeus?!? Good grief, man -- I breathe hellfire, and 'Smoke' is my middle name! You cannot escape me with such parlor tricks! ;))

Any time I make an obvious mistake, I need to apologize so I can point back from posterity and say, "See? I own up to my mistakes!" and this distracts people from noticing that I still make them. Couple this with the ninja smoke bombs (when fighting hellspawn, I include sulfur and the aroma of unbaptized baby tears in the ingredients - it's like putting in a cloud of peppermint, tantalizing and distracting in its deliciousness), and I'm nigh uncatchable.

I'd like to see a trapper that could take on a whole squad - a Great Mother that devours 20 at a time - but I'm thinking, "How would she get that much food, and what would it do to the underground ecology?" On the other hand, I think about the Armillaria ostoyae, and I realize that the rays don't necessarily need humanoids to sustain a viable ecosystem.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/oregons-monster-mushroom-is-world s-biggest-living-thing-710278.html

Scarab Sages Contributor, RPG Superstar 2008 Top 4, Legendary Games

Asgetrion wrote:

Wow, I *LOVE* the adherer's background story... amazing, creepy and deranged stuff! It's tough to make a devil-worshipping Chelaxian dwarf feel uneasy about something, but even I felt a (tiny) shudder as I was reading it. Now I'm dying to use a phase Spider + some adherer minions. Great work, Jason! :)

@Colin: Is there any particular reason why lurking rays don't get to Envelope their targets? I mean, the bigger ones are *huge*, and they can only grab a *single* target if they hit with their bite? And it's not even a touch attack, like I had assumed. Back in AD&D these lurkers were horrifying, because they could wrap around a whole party of adventurers. And why is the target not blinded -- or why can its allies hit the lurker without the usual 50/50 damage between the enveloping creature and its victim? I mean, the cloaker has it, in this very book the adherer shroud variant does, too (Binding Shround).

Glad you enjoyed it. I have a terrible tendency to over-write when I'm making monster abilities, but one that I thought was fun I had developed for adherers was the ability to tear away part of themselves whenever they were grappled, basically leaving the person they were grappling holding a sticky mass (more or less like a tanglefoot bag). I was also toying with the idea of what it would mean for them to be made with ether-stuff and having force effects help protect against their stickiness.

All in all, though, it came out very nicely... and by nice I mean NASTY! :)

Dark Archive

Jason Nelson wrote:
Asgetrion wrote:

Wow, I *LOVE* the adherer's background story... amazing, creepy and deranged stuff! It's tough to make a devil-worshipping Chelaxian dwarf feel uneasy about something, but even I felt a (tiny) shudder as I was reading it. Now I'm dying to use a phase Spider + some adherer minions. Great work, Jason! :)

@Colin: Is there any particular reason why lurking rays don't get to Envelope their targets? I mean, the bigger ones are *huge*, and they can only grab a *single* target if they hit with their bite? And it's not even a touch attack, like I had assumed. Back in AD&D these lurkers were horrifying, because they could wrap around a whole party of adventurers. And why is the target not blinded -- or why can its allies hit the lurker without the usual 50/50 damage between the enveloping creature and its victim? I mean, the cloaker has it, in this very book the adherer shroud variant does, too (Binding Shround).

Glad you enjoyed it. I have a terrible tendency to over-write when I'm making monster abilities, but one that I thought was fun I had developed for adherers was the ability to tear away part of themselves whenever they were grappled, basically leaving the person they were grappling holding a sticky mass (more or less like a tanglefoot bag). I was also toying with the idea of what it would mean for them to be made with ether-stuff and having force effects help protect against their stickiness.

All in all, though, it came out very nicely... and by nice I mean NASTY! :)

Hoh, that sounds *really* nasty... hmmm... maybe I'll include a couple of "artillery" adherers who tear away parts of themselves and throw them at the PCs?

My basic idea was to include an area controlled by a phase spider and its adherer minions in a dungeon complex ('Haunted Halls of Eveningstar', although I've redrawn the maps and rewritten most room descriptions and encounters to match the characters' level). The first encounter will probably involve three adherer shrouds; I've even thought of including a room with a few burned giant spider corpses to throw them off a bit (and they'll likely go: "Ah, those cobwebs probably indicate that this must the room where those dead spiders came from!" ;)).

Dark Archive

Colin McComb wrote:
Asgetrion wrote:


Many thanks, Colin! No need to apologise -- that is exactly what I wanted to know! I was asking this because I love what you did with the lurking rays, and I'm going to include a couple of lurkers above and a trapper in my next adventure. And, your point about LA being a predator didn't even occur to me, but it makes perfect sense. :)

(By the way, you would have used a ninja bomb against a Favored Disciple of Asmodeus?!? Good grief, man -- I breathe hellfire, and 'Smoke' is my middle name! You cannot escape me with such parlor tricks! ;))

Any time I make an obvious mistake, I need to apologize so I can point back from posterity and say, "See? I own up to my mistakes!" and this distracts people from noticing that I still make them. Couple this with the ninja smoke bombs (when fighting hellspawn, I include sulfur and the aroma of unbaptized baby tears in the ingredients - it's like putting in a cloud of peppermint, tantalizing and distracting in its deliciousness), and I'm nigh uncatchable.

I'd like to see a trapper that could take on a whole squad - a Great Mother that devours 20 at a time - but I'm thinking, "How would she get that much food, and what would it do to the underground ecology?" On the other hand, I think about the Armillaria ostoyae, and I realize that the rays don't necessarily need humanoids to sustain a viable ecosystem.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/oregons-monster-mushroom-is-world s-biggest-living-thing-710278.html

Har har! You *cannot* believe that an Infernal Librarian -- who has several monk levels, to boot -- would not be able to dodge your paltry bombs, or resist the sweet, sweet smell of suphur and baby tears! Er... no need to waste them on bombs, just send them to me here at the Infernal Library of Westcrown! Please?

I'm definitely going to use a trapper + couple of lurkers above in the very dungeon complex I mention in my reply to Jason; they're even likely "allies" with the phase spider's crowd (or at least neighbors who tolerate, and occasionally even help, each other). Anyway, a room that "explodes" into tentacles and wraps itself around the PCs... that's classic! :)


From experience watching my players react to flail snails, it's all very funny and easy to mock them, until the gung-ho warlock blows a hole in the party monk via re-bound and then sets himself on fire.

WHY DOESN'T MY BLAST WORK!


Adam Daigle wrote:

Sutter developed an interpretive dance to fill in some of the blanks in the flumph life cycle and was kind enough to perform it for me at PaizoCon.

That's love.

Does the flumph still fart oxygen? It was always helpful to have them around on deep mining operations and onboard spelljammers for that trait.

401 to 422 of 422 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Misfit Monsters Redeemed (PFRPG) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.