Pathfinder Tales: Prince of Wolves

4.40/5 (based on 75 ratings)
Pathfinder Tales: Prince of Wolves
Show Description For:
Non-Mint

Add Print Edition $9.99 $5.00

Add PDF/ePub $6.99

Non-Mint Unavailable

Facebook Twitter Email

Howls in the Dark

For half-elven Pathfinder Varian Jeggare and his devil-blooded bodyguard Radovan, things are rarely as they seem. Yet not even the notorious crime-solving duo is prepared for what they find when a search for a missing Pathfinder takes them into the gothic and mist-shrouded mountains of Ustalav. Beset on all sides by noble intrigue, mysterious locals, and the deadly creatures of the night, Varian and Radovan must use both sword and spell to track the strange rumors to their source and uncover a secret of unimaginable proportions, aided in their quest by a pack of sinister werewolves and a mysterious mute priestess. But it'll take more than merely solving the mystery to finish this job. For shadowy figures have taken note of the pair's investigations, and the forces of darkness are set on making sure neither man gets out of Ustalav alive...

From fan-favorite author Dave Gross comes a new fantastical mystery set in the award-winning world of the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game.

300-page mass market paperback
ISBN–13: 978-1-60125-287-6
ePub ISBN-13: 978-1-60125-331-6

Prince of Wolves is also available as a digital edition on the following sites:

Prince of Wolves is sanctioned for use in Pathfinder Society Organized Play. Its Chronicle sheet and additional rules are a free download (225 KB zip/PDF).

Product Availability

Print Edition:

Available now

Ships from our warehouse in 1 to 5 business days.

PDF/ePub:

Fulfilled immediately.

Non-Mint:

Unavailable

This product is non-mint. Refunds are not available for non-mint products. The standard version of this product can be found here.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZO8502


See Also:

6 to 10 of 76 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Average product rating:

4.40/5 (based on 75 ratings)

Sign in to create or edit a product review.

THE BEST OF THE BEST OF THE BEST!!!

5/5

THE GOOD:
The first of 4 (so far in december 2014) novels staring
Count Varian Jeggare and Radovan Virholt.

I have read this book 5 times so far and every time i notice new details about the pathfinder world.

The story is very interesting because it changes perspective every chapter and seeds are planted for later stories.

THE BAD:
A bit confusing at the beginning for people who don´t know the pathfinder setting, especially all the different NPC characters mentioned in the Varian chapters.

THE UGLY:
No book 5 anouncement yet! ;-)
Nothing ugly about this book.


4/5


A Great Read

5/5

Prince of Wolves tells the story of Count Jeggare and his body-guard Randovan as they travel through Ustalav.

The story is told from a first-person perspective and each chapter is from the point of view of one of the two protagonist.

This style of narrative gives the reader a refreshing change from the usual third-person perspective and is a great way to provide insight to the character's thoughts in a way that feels natural.

Count Jeggare is a noble-blooded and educated man from birth, so he can seem arrogant and pretentious at times, but he is ultimately a man with a good heart who can actually see the humor in the situation at times, and as the story moves on, he learns to better recognize the value of those of not so noble birth.

Randovan is all that Count Jeggare is not. Low-born, brass, uneducated... A man raised on the streets but no less noble of heart. He can be brass and rude sometimes, but he genuinely cares about his friends and allies. It's easier to sympathize with him due to his simple beginnings and easy-going nature (although he does know the time to get serious!).

The contrast between the protagonists is only equaled by their loyalty to one another and mutual respect.

They're both likable protagonists in their own ways, but far from perfect. And the people they meet are just as colorful, although not as well-developed due to the simple fact that they obviously don't have as much spotlight as the protagonists.

I really enjoyed the action and the character development in this book. The mystery and suspense are pretty good too, although not spectacular. I'll gladly add another 5-stars review to its collection.


Excellent

5/5

Thoroughly enjoyed the book. The Radovan and Jeggare stories are easily the best of the Pathfinder Tales.


Mystery, Monsters, and an Evil Eating Chicken.

5/5

I'm coming to love how Mr. Gross writes these novels. The adventuring trek that follows Radovan and the mystery that Varian attempts to unravel while in one of my favorite countries in all of Golarion is a great horror read, that actually does feel what horror in the pathfinder setting might feel like. Readers who are interested in horror, mystery, and/or adventure or all three will greatly enjoy this book.

Spoiler:

Though it makes my blood boil that the only 1/2 of the Antagonists got what they had coming, friggin Norgober cultists grrrrr...

Highly recommended.


6 to 10 of 76 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
51 to 100 of 206 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Companion, Pawns, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber
Vic Wertz wrote:
We've also posted the first installment of our weekly serialized Pathfinder Tales Web Fiction, beginning with the first chapter of Dave Gross's four-part story, "The Lost Pathfinder." Look for new Pathfinder Tales each Wednesday!

Web fiction!?! OH MY!


Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Mikaze wrote:
MerrikCale wrote:
like the cover, kind of old school Forgotten Realms to me
It does have that kind of feel, like a TSR-era novel from the late 80's/early 90's.

To me, that's not a good thing at all. Those novels were ... not good.

Liberty's Edge

Any word on a street date?

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

CapeCodRPGer wrote:
Any word on a street date?

We hope to begin shipping to subscribers in the very last days of July, with a retail release coinciding with the start of Gen Con. (Chain bookstores always seem to take a bit longer.)

Dark Archive

Nice new cover.

Silver Crusade

I can't wait to read these! One thing that I recall back in my heydays of rpg gaming was reading the Dragonlance & FR novels. Now granted they weren't the most imaginative books nor the greatest examples of writing but what they did was open up & make the worlds of the games I loved to play seem more real, which in turn allowed me to focus more on the settings.

Thank you Paizo for going with a novel line.

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

One of the folks who got a preview copy at Book Expo America has posted a review—check it out!


Sweet.
Great for whipping up excitement.


Just finished reading my advance reader's copy today (thanks Dave! *offers oatmeal cookie*). If this is a sampling of what we will get with Pathfinder Tales, then I am well pleased.

Deliciously fabulous story - made me want to run a game in the region the book is set it. :D


Vic Wertz wrote:
One of the folks who got a preview copy at Book Expo America has posted a review—check it out!

& I stand by it! It was a heck of a read & I'm still recommending it to anyone who might be interested-- & some who might not realize they are.


Subscribed


I feel like the first subscriber should get the first copy.

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Too bad I can't have this in time for my over night shift coming up in mid-July. Basically, I've got to baby sit the store while it's getting the floor's wax stripped and redone (ten hours of nothing to do), so I'll need reading material. Maybe the first July shipment will keep me busy there. I'm sure this book will be great.


Cover art is decent, but not great.

The Exchange

I WANT HARD COVER!!!!!


Ison wrote:
I WANT HARD COVER!!!!!

me too!

Sovereign Court

Great opening page, consider this the most ill-informed review possible.

Dark Archive Contributor

GeraintElberion wrote:
Great opening page, consider this the most ill-informed review possible.

Thanks, Geraint. Are you going to post 349 more updates? Because that would be awesome. :)


I have a tradition to never buy a novel I haven't read before- due to the review and general hype, also due to the awesome free fiction previously on the site, that tradition is now being broken.

Sovereign Court

Mikaze wrote:
MerrikCale wrote:
like the cover, kind of old school Forgotten Realms to me

It does have that kind of feel, like a TSR-era novel from the late 80's/early 90's.

Mine's turning up today. I hope that the cover feel is the only thing similar to TSR's fiction offerings. I liked his fiction in Council of Thieves.

Plan to start reading with all available spare time...

Sovereign Court

Dave Gross wrote:
GeraintElberion wrote:
Great opening page, consider this the most ill-informed review possible.
Thanks, Geraint. Are you going to post 349 more updates? Because that would be awesome. :)

I actually gave up after one page because I can't read a novel on my laptop. It's okay for news articles and adventures but I'm waiting for the dead-tree version to arrive.

I will review the novel, but probably just one more after I've finished it.

Dark Archive Contributor

GeraintElberion wrote:

I actually gave up after one page because I can't read a novel on my laptop. It's okay for news articles and adventures but I'm waiting for the dead-tree version to arrive.

I will review the novel, but probably just one more after I've finished it.

Understandable. I still haven't read an entire novel on a handheld, and I've never tried it on the notebook. Most of my "reading" these days listening to audio books while walking the dog.


Has anyone tried the pdf on an iphone/handheld yet? I'd like to get the pdf but I'm affraid it won't resize on my iphone and I'd have to read with my magnifying glass.

Liberty's Edge

Dolf Carg wrote:
Has anyone tried the pdf on an iphone/handheld yet? I'd like to get the pdf but I'm affraid it won't resize on my iphone and I'd have to read with my magnifying glass.

I have the file on my Iphone, old 3Gs model, and it is readable on it, but it is a bit small. But much easier to read than the normal Paizo books as the format on the pages is single column. For your information I have been reading it using GoodReader...

Dark Archive Contributor

My heartfelt thanks go out to those who posted these early reviews. More than anyone except myself, you are the folks for whom I wrote this story.

You might have heard the news that Radovan and the Count are returning next year in a Tian Xia novel, so if you'd like to spread the word, please paste those reviews all over Amazon and other sites where you can reach more readers who haven't already discovered Golarion. Let's make this club even bigger.

Dark Archive Contributor

PRIMUS of Pathfinder Fiction wrote:
Also, will Dave be signing the copy of the first subscriber? ;)

If I can manage to be at Paizo when the books arrive, I'd be more than happy to do this, but I think the logistics might be challenging. That said, at Gen Con I signed 96 books for Jeff for the web store, so I'm thinking those will be available soonish.

Dark Archive Contributor

Navarion wrote:
I probably would've bought it if it was about Radovan and Pavanna instead of Radovan and Jeggare....-_-

While a Radovan & Pavanna book would be problematic, there are several strong and more mysterious women in Prince of Wolves, at least in my biased opinion.

* Apologies for the flurry of posts, but I've only just noticed I missed a few months worth of updates to this thread.

Dark Archive Contributor

Doug OBrien wrote:
Hmmm, It's got Ustalav, but someone had to go use the 'crime-solving duo' descriptor. I find myself at an impasse.

"Crime-solving duo" isn't the phrase I'd use to describe them, but it's certainly something they've been in past. It's only marginally apropos for the events of Prince of Wolves. There is a mystery element, but it's much more complicated than that.


Another avatar change, and this one quite apropos. Now if I can just find you to ask you some spoilerific questions, I'll be all set.

Dark Archive

Meh wish I would have known much of this was written in first person.


Received my book, looks great...just need to finish an older trilogy (FR Kings & Counselors) off first. Looking forward to a new setting of books.

Sovereign Court

I reviewed it, gave it four stars; didn't give five because I hope the whole line has high standards and we'd want to leave some room up top.

By the standards of WotC/TSR rpg fiction, out of five stars it'd get ten.

EDIT: I would also add that Dave Gross would now be a name likely to encourage me to purchase a book with him as author. In case publishers are listening!

EDIT2: Well, publishers other than Paizo, who are always listening.

Dark Archive Contributor

Bagpuss wrote:

I reviewed it, gave it four stars; didn't give five because I hope the whole line has high standards and we'd want to leave some room up top.

EDIT: I would also add that Dave Gross would now be a name likely to encourage me to purchase a book with him as author. In case publishers are listening!

Thanks for the kind review. It's a delight to come back from Gen Con to see such positive responses, and it gives me that much more energy to recover from this con crud and keep expanding the outline for the next one.

Dark Archive Contributor

Mairkurion {tm} wrote:
Another avatar change, and this one quite apropos. Now if I can just find you to ask you some spoilerific questions, I'll be all set.

For the next two days, at least, I'll be popping into the chat room often as I expand the outline for the next novel and convalesce from this con crud. Chances are good you can catch me there sometime.

Sovereign Court

Dark_Mistress wrote:
Meh wish I would have known much of this was written in first person.

Um, it's all in first person - just like loads of great novels. Or did you dislike the two-handed approach, or was it the epistolary bits that were meh?

Dark Archive

GeraintElberion wrote:
Dark_Mistress wrote:
Meh wish I would have known much of this was written in first person.
Um, it's all in first person - just like loads of great novels. Or did you dislike the two-handed approach, or was it the epistolary bits that were meh?

Actually the beginning part with whats his name in ... that wooden thing(trying not to spoil) was in 3rd person.

But no i just don't like any novel in 1st person. Never have. I find them jarring to read I did this or I did that. Since I would never do the vast majority of that stuff.

Nothing wrong with it, i know it is popular and a lot of people like 1st person view of novels. I just happen not to, I find it distracting and makes it impossible for me to get into the novel.*shrug*

Contributor

Dark_Mistress wrote:

But no i just don't like any novel in 1st person. Never have. I find them jarring to read I did this or I did that. Since I would never do the vast majority of that stuff.

Nothing wrong with it, i know it is popular and a lot of people like 1st person view of novels. I just happen not to, I find it distracting and makes it impossible for me to get into the novel.*shrug*

What about stuff written as diary entries or as letters, like much of Lovecraft's work?

Dark Archive

Dark_Mistress wrote:
GeraintElberion wrote:
Dark_Mistress wrote:
Meh wish I would have known much of this was written in first person.
Um, it's all in first person - just like loads of great novels. Or did you dislike the two-handed approach, or was it the epistolary bits that were meh?

Actually the beginning part with whats his name in ... that wooden thing(trying not to spoil) was in 3rd person.

But no i just don't like any novel in 1st person. Never have. I find them jarring to read I did this or I did that. Since I would never do the vast majority of that stuff.

Nothing wrong with it, i know it is popular and a lot of people like 1st person view of novels. I just happen not to, I find it distracting and makes it impossible for me to get into the novel.*shrug*

I wasn't used to the first person when I started reading this book because it seems like most authors don't use it but I really liked it a lot. It kept the mystery of everything more intense for me.

Scarab Sages

Dolf Carg wrote:
Has anyone tried the pdf on an iphone/handheld yet? I'd like to get the pdf but I'm affraid it won't resize on my iphone and I'd have to read with my magnifying glass.

I read the entire novel on my iPod Touch. I used iBooks and held it "landscape" (and zoomed in so the text filled the entire width) to make sure the text was large enough to be comfortable. Other than that caveat, it worked quite well for me.

Dark Archive

Sean K Reynolds wrote:
Dark_Mistress wrote:

But no i just don't like any novel in 1st person. Never have. I find them jarring to read I did this or I did that. Since I would never do the vast majority of that stuff.

Nothing wrong with it, i know it is popular and a lot of people like 1st person view of novels. I just happen not to, I find it distracting and makes it impossible for me to get into the novel.*shrug*
What about stuff written as diary entries or as letters, like much of Lovecraft's work?

If it is 1st person I don't care for it. Now if say someone in the novel you are reading in 3rd person finds something written like that in 1st person and reads it. Aka you are reading it like they would. Then I don't find it as jarring. It is just when i am reading a story about character X and I keep saying, I said to her... etc. I just find that jarring cause I think of myself then and I wouldn't do that. Which forces my mind out of the immersion of the story, which is jarring for me. If that makes sense.

Never said my view made sense only that it exists. :)

Dark Archive

Jodi Lane wrote:
I wasn't used to the first person when I started reading this book because it seems like most authors don't use it but I really liked it a lot. It kept the mystery of everything more intense for me.

Yeah I have tried forcing myself to read them. There was a book I really really wanted to read many years ago. I forget the book now. Anyways I made it about half way threw and then just put aside, reading it felt like a chore after awhile. Despite the fact I wanted to finish it. I was just never able to immerse myself in they story. Eventually I gave it to one of those book drives.

Contributor

Dark_Mistress wrote:
If it is 1st person I don't care for it.

What about movies where the narrator is the main character, and he's telling you what he's thinking? Fight Club, Blade Runner, etc.?

Shadow Lodge

Okay, major kudos to Dave for this amazing novel. And I gotta say it...Azra is totally my new favorite character.

Azra fans demand more Azra! *goes off to start the first Azra fan club*

Dark Archive

Sean K Reynolds wrote:
Dark_Mistress wrote:
If it is 1st person I don't care for it.
What about movies where the narrator is the main character, and he's telling you what he's thinking? Fight Club, Blade Runner, etc.?

That doesn't bother me, because someone else is talking. *shrug* I never claimed it made sense, only that for what ever reason 1st person novels break my immersion. I have no idea why. I wish they didn't but they do.


Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Although, your aversion to first-person narrative is weird, I can somehow relate, as there is something that I really can't stand to read, and that is a novel written in the present tense. There are a few books that I'd really like to read but just can't as they are written like that. One that I can remember off the top of my head, as an example would be Polar City Blues by Katherine Kerr.

Dark Archive

Dark_Mistress wrote:
Sean K Reynolds wrote:
Dark_Mistress wrote:
If it is 1st person I don't care for it.
What about movies where the narrator is the main character, and he's telling you what he's thinking? Fight Club, Blade Runner, etc.?
That doesn't bother me, because someone else is talking. *shrug* I never claimed it made sense, only that for what ever reason 1st person novels break my immersion. I have no idea why. I wish they didn't but they do.

I guess if it were a book on tape, you'd like it? ;o)

Contributor

My copy just arrived! I am so excited. SO EXCITED. Can't wait to start reading it later tonight.


I really enjoyed the book but I have a question for Dave Gross...

spoiler:
Going back to read again the harrowing part at the beginning is quite easy to notice how Malena’s reading almost foreseen all the history... the fiend, the tyrant, the wanderer, the idiot, the betrayal, the mute hag, the dance but then the twin and the empty throne... Are these last two cards referring to a possible sequel story? Because, especially for the twin, I'm not able to explain it very well...

Dark Archive

Jodi Lane wrote:
Dark_Mistress wrote:
Sean K Reynolds wrote:
Dark_Mistress wrote:
If it is 1st person I don't care for it.
What about movies where the narrator is the main character, and he's telling you what he's thinking? Fight Club, Blade Runner, etc.?
That doesn't bother me, because someone else is talking. *shrug* I never claimed it made sense, only that for what ever reason 1st person novels break my immersion. I have no idea why. I wish they didn't but they do.
I guess if it were a book on tape, you'd like it? ;o)

Maybe I have never listened to a audio book before so i have no idea if i would like them or not.

51 to 100 of 206 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / Pathfinder Tales: Prince of Wolves All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.