Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Advanced Player's Guide (OGL)

4.80/5 (based on 48 ratings)
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Advanced Player's Guide (OGL)
Show Description For:
Non-Mint

Add Hardcover $44.99

Add PDF $9.99

Non-Mint Unavailable

Facebook Twitter Email

Take your Game to the Next Level!

Explore new and uncharted depths of roleplaying with the Pathfinder RPG Advanced Player's Guide! Empower your existing characters with expanded rules for all 11 Pathfinder Roleplaying Game core classes and seven core races, or build a new one from the ground up with one of six brand-new, 20-level base classes. Whether you're designing your own monstrous helpers as an enigmatic summoner, brewing up trouble with a grimy urban alchemist, or simply teaching an old rogue a new trick, this book has everything you need to make your heroes more heroic.

The Pathfinder RPG Advanced Player's Guide is a must-have companion volume to the Pathfinder RPG Core Rulebook. This imaginative tabletop game builds upon more than 10 years of system development and an Open Playtest featuring more than 50,000 gamers to create a cutting-edge RPG experience that brings the all-time best-selling set of fantasy rules into the new millennium.

The 336-page Pathfinder RPG Advanced Player's Guide includes:

  • Six new base classes: the monster-hunting inquisitor, the explosive alchemist, the noble cavalier, the prophecy-haunted oracle, the monster-crafting summoner, and the hex-weaving witch
  • More than a hundred innovative new feats and combat abilities for characters of all classes, including Steal, Point-Blank Master, and Bouncing Spell
  • Variant class abilities, rules subsystems, and thematic archetypes for all 11 core classes, such as the antipaladin, the hungry ghost monk, and the urban ranger
  • Hundreds of new spells and magic items, from phantasmal revenge to the Storm King's Cloud Castle
  • A wealth of fantastic equipment, such as fireblast rods and fortune-tellers' cards
  • New prestige classes like the Master Chymist and the Battle Herald
  • ... and much, much more!

ISBN-13: 978-1-60125-246-3

Resources

Looking for more? Check out the Resources and Free Downloads available for the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game.

Errata
Last Updated - 12/01/2010

Other Resources: This product is also available on the following platforms:

Hero Lab Online
Fantasy Grounds Virtual Tabletop
Archives of Nethys

Note: This product is part of the Pathfinder Rulebook Subscription.

Product Availability

Hardcover:

Available now

Ships from our warehouse in 11 to 20 business days.

PDF:

Fulfilled immediately.

Non-Mint:

Unavailable

This product is non-mint. Refunds are not available for non-mint products. The standard version of this product can be found here.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZO1115


See Also:

1 to 5 of 48 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Average product rating:

4.80/5 (based on 48 ratings)

Sign in to create or edit a product review.

good

5/5

good addition to the collection offers good spells and feats, came in on time and I bought the non-mint and I haven't noticed any damage to it.


Players: Buy this after the Core Rulebook

5/5

If you own a Core Rulebook and a Bestiary, what Pathfinder book should you buy next? A campaign setting book or an adventure module would be good answers, but if you're looking for more character options, the best answer would be the Advanced Player's Guide. This was Paizo's first big player-oriented hardcover to be released after the Core Rulebook, and it's safe to say they knocked it out of the park. This book has stood the test of time and still contains fantastic options for the game even though it was released several years ago. If you're playing PFS on a budget, for example, and you have to be choosy with what books or PDFs you buy, start with the Advanced Player's Guide. You'll find enough options in there to keep you busy for years.

What follows is a chapter-by-chapter review. Do keep in mind that this book pre-dates the publication of classes like the magus, vigilante, kineticist, etc., so you won't find options directly designed for them. In addition, because it's part of the RPG line, it does not contain Golarion-specific flavour (though everything in here is compatible with the setting). As a whole, I would classify the art as in the lower-middle spectrum of what Paizo can do, with a lot of reused mediocre stuff from earlier books. The layout as a whole, however, is quite nice.

Chapter 1 (Races): After an Introduction that's really just an expanded table of contents, Chapter 1 expands the options available for Core races (those found in the Core Rulebook). For each race, a sentence or two describes how each of the Core classes and the so-called Base classes (those found later in this book) are represented within the culture. I found this section was fairly generic and tried too hard to make it sound like each class was common in each race, so there wasn't anything that seemed special. Next up are alternative racial traits for the Core races. These are important in that they allow a player to swap out one of the special features of a race (like an elf's automatic familiarity with elven weapons, or a gnome's resistance to illusion) for a different special feature. In other words, it's a good way to customize your PC just a little more and ensure that not all dwarfs are skilled at stonework, for example. Last, this chapter presents new favoured class options for each of the Core races: instead of the normal rule that a new level in a favoured class provides 1 hit point or 1 skill point, these new options allow a particular race to get something different. For example, a gnome with the favoured class of bard could get an extra round of bardic performance each day, or a half-orc with the favoured class of fighter could get an additional +2 to stabilization rolls when dying. Note that each race only has new favoured class options for handful of classes (not all of them). Unlike the alternate racial traits, I wasn't particularly impressed with the flavour or thought given to the new favoured class options: many of them didn't seem to have any particular tie to the race. Half-orcs, for example, can increase their bomb damage if their favoured class is alchemist, while human paladins can start to get energy resistance--there's nothing in the write-up of these races that make these bonuses seem natural or logical. From an optimization perspective, these new favoured class options are quite useful--I just wish they were better from a storytelling perspective.

Chapter 2 (Classes): One of the most important things that the Advanced Player's Guide brings to Pathfinder is the introduction of six new "Base" classes: the Alchemist, Cavalier, Inquisitor, Oracle, Summoner, and Witch. I don't have a lot of space to review each one, so I'll try to be concise.

The Alchemist fills a real niche in the game, is quite versatile, and would be really fun to play. They get special abilities to rapidly make alchemical items (of course), but also can manufacture bombs, cast magic spells (in the form of drinkable "elixirs"), and temporarily "hulk out" by drinking a "mutagen." As a GM, my only concern is the fact that the bombs resolve against Touch AC, so in games I've run the alchemist PC hardly ever misses and does substantial amounts of damage as an area effect. I also think that perhaps the mutagen feature should have been reserved for a specific "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" archetype, as I don't thik it fits well as part of the basic assumption of alchemists.

The Cavalier could probably have been better represented as a Fighter archetype. Cavaliers are mounted knights who swear an oath to follow the precepts of a particular order. Different orders provide different bonuses, Cavalier's mounts are hardier than normal, and the class provides PCs and their allies with some limited use of teamwork feats (discussed below). As written, the class is fairly bland, and I don't think it fills a hole in what could be covered well by other classes. You also see Cavaliers relatively rarely in gameplay because, frankly, they're just inferior to other builds (and I should know, because I've played one for a couple of years now!).

The Inquisitor is one of those classes I'm a bit torn about. The idea is that they're specialists in rooting out corruption and heresy within their faith, which is thematically really cool: but I don't see how that fits naturally with the activities of the vast majority of adventuring parties in the game. The class is conceptually unique and has a lot of cool and useful abilities, some of which seem to fit from a flavour perspective (like Bane) but others that just seem kind of random (like Monster Lore and Cunning Initiative).

The Oracle is another interesting class that I'm unsure about conceptually. Mechanically, they're spontaneous divine spellcasters who don't worship deities per se but instead strive to unravel a particular "mystery." As they advance in level, they get "revelations" which are special powers. Some of the revelations are really cool, and the mysteries are very flavourful. I like the class better after reading it carefully, though I'm still not sure about the name of the class (since divination isn't the focus) nor about the vague relationship they have to deities. They are a divine spellcasting class that is much simpler to play than clerics (though less effective), and thus potentially a good choice for new players.

The Summoner as presented in this book is infamous as the most overpowered class in all of Pathfinder, to the point where most GMs and PFS disallow it. "Unchained" Summoners (as they're usually called in contradistinction to a different type from another book) are, of course, really good at summoning lots of monsters, which is annoying for everyone at the table because it dramatically slows down gameplay. But more problematically, each Summoner gets an "eidolon" which is a bit like a completely customizable and incredibly powerful monstrous animal companion. If you have an Unchained Summoner, you may as well be playing a solo campaign because you probably don't need anyone else in the party to win most encounters. I'm not sure how the Unchained Summoner ever made it through playtesting, but it stands as an example that even great companies like Paizo can make major mistakes.

The Witch is a full (up to 9th level spells) spellcasting class that receives special powers called hexes. Some of the hexes are really flavourful and cool, and the concept of the class as a whole is one I really like. There are two things about the class I'm not a fan of: first, familiars are a major part of the class and as both a player and a GM I find familiars really annoying to deal with (because they rarely contribute positively to a play experience); second, each witch receives bonus spells depending on what "patron" they choose, but the patrons are just abstract concepts (like "Agility" or "Water") and have no substance or flavour to them, and no real potential for story development. I think it was a bland and almost forgettable way of implementing a really cool idea (mysterious forces granting a character power in exchange for . . .?). I should also note that one of the witch's hexes, Slumber, has proven overpowered and problematic at a lot of tables.

So as a whole, I think the Alchemist is a real success, while Witches, Oracles, and Inquisitors are solid additions to the game. The Cavalier is mostly forgotten, while the Summoner is a good example of what not to do in terms of game design.

The Classes chapter then continues by offering each of the Core classes something special, often in the form of "archetypes." If you don't already know, archetypes are packages of abilities that swap out some of the features of a class in exchange for other features, and they've become an important part of most builds for experienced players. Here's a summary of what each Core class gets.

1) Barbarians receive a lot of cool new options for rage powers (though, oddly, a lot of them relate to consuming alcohol) and several archetypes that don't change a lot of class features but that are quite good;

2) Bards get some fantastic and (sometimes quite dramatic) archetypes, at least as written--but admittedly, I don't hear about them being played very often;

3) Clerics receive the introduction of "subdomains", which are, as the name indicates, "branch" domains. A cleric with the Sun domain, for example, could now choose the replacement special power and domain spells of the Light subdomain. It's a way to allow the further customization of clerics since they don't have a lot of class features to trade out for archetypes;

4) Druids get archetypes that are all terrain-based and quite formulaic, along with a handful of "animal shaman" archetypes that have the same essential ability to gain an aspect of a particular animal's powers.

5) Fighters get a lot of archetypes, most of which are poor in terms of flavour ("Archer" or "Two-Handed Fighter") but some that are quite nutritious, as it were, to aiding particular combat styles;

6) Monks get a lot of archetypes, most of which are pretty bland but some, like the Zen Archer, the Monk of the Four Winds' Slow Time ability, and the Monk of the Healing Hand's capstone power are pretty cool;

7) Paladins get archetypes that are okay, but there's some clunky features for the Divine Defender and Sacred Servant. There's also the introduction of the Antipaladin (formally an "Alternate" Class) which I know a lot of people demanded but I'm just not a fan of the concept because I think it devalues the essential goodness of the Paladin idea;

8) Rangers get new archetypes and some new combat styles. I really like the Guide archetype, as the Terrain Bond feature seems much truer to the niche that rangers should fill as wilderness experts. The Infiltrator and Skirmisher archetypes also get some cool stuff;

9) Rogues receive 30 new rogue talents and 12 new advanced rogue talents to choose from, though most are of the "1/day, roll two d20s and take the better" on a specific skill check type. I like the Fast Getaway talent (allowing a rogue to sneak attack and then withdraw), and imagine it would keep a lot of rogues alive. The class also receives several archetypes, but most are pretty thin and forgettable (though the Cutpurse could be used to devastating effect depending on GM discretion);

10) Sorcerers receive 10 new bloodlines, and although I'm not an expert on the class, they look useful and meaningful;

11) Wizards get new elemental schools to specialize in, and some of the special powers look like a lot of fun (like the Air school's Cyclone power or the Water school's Wave power). There's also the introduction of "Focused Arcane Schools" which you can think of as "super specialization" in a particular aspect of a School in order to gain replacement powers.

Whew! A lot of stuff in that chapter. Moving on.

Chapter 3 (Feats) contains a *lot* of new feats. The summary table which gives a one-line description of each one fills four pages. Many of the new feats are standalone things, but others can be grouped by type: several give an additional use of class features ("Extra Rage Power", "Extra Rogue Talent", etc.), make it easier to use the new combat maneuvers introduced at the end of the book, create new metamagic options for spellcasting (with "Dazing Spell" responsible for a lot frustration to GMs), etc. A new type of feat, Teamwork Feats, are introduced for the first time in this chapter. The idea with Teamwork Feats is that if two PCs (or allied NPCs) have the same feat, they both get bonuses in particular situations: for example, if two PCs have the "Allied Spellcaster" teamwork feat, they each get a +2 bonus on caster level checks to overcome spell resistance. I do like the concept, but the proven problem is that it's often hard to get other players at the table to have their PCs take the same one that you're taking, and the bonuses provided by the feats aren't so amazing that groups are inclined to carefully coordinate.

Chapter 4 (Equipment) contains about 25 new weapons (including some of those fun, weird polearms D&D veterans will recognize), a handful of new types of armor, a lot of new pieces of adventuring gear, and several new alchemical items. There's not a lot here that's earth-shattering, though some items, such as Weapon Blanch, have become de rigeur for every smart adventurer. It would have been nice if more of the equipment was illustrated, and that better choices were made on what was essential to illustrate: I know what an hourglass looks like, for example, and don't need a picture, but seeing what a "light detector" looks like would have been interesting.

Chapter 5 (Spells) has 57 pages of options for spellcasters of every stripe. Reading through, I noticed a surprising number of cool Paladin spells, a lot of Bard "finale" spells (that are cast and instantly end bardic performance), and a lot of ninth level spells. Some of the spells I really liked include Blaze of Glory, Fire Snake, and Hero's Defiance, and the picture of Cacophonous Call on p. 209 is hilarious. Every spellcaster is bound to find something useful, but there are some problematic ones introduced in this chapter, like the Create Pit line, that GMs need to be aware of.

Chapter 6 (Prestige Classes) introduces eight new options that PCs could, but probably won't, strive for. Pathfinder long had a reputation for not making much of the prestige class concept, and that's only recently begun to change. Really fast verdicts: 1) Battle Herald: Love the concept, but everything is tied off an "Inspiring Command" bonus which just progresses too slowly, making the entire prestige class weak; 2) Holy Vindicator: no design room for the concept, and the abilities don't help; 3) Horizon Walker: the bonuses in some terrains are fantastic and in others completely "meh"; 4) Master Chymist: Classic Jekyll & Hyde alchemist; 5) Master Spy: I liked this more than I thought I would, and could see it used for a lot of NPCs or maybe a PC (in just the right campaign). Gets clever and useful foils to most means of detection, but abilities come on line much later than they should for most adventures; 6) Rage prophet: Not impressive. 7) Stalwart Defender: Good, cool abilities that fit the theme, and a good capstone power.

Chapter 7 (Magic Items) has something of everything: magic weapons, armor, wondrous items, minor and major artifacts, etc. The new metamagic rods are really powerful considering the price, the new staves are pretty boring, and there's a lot of stuff geared specifically for the new classes, which makes sense. If you've dumped Strength and are relying on Muleback Cords, you've got this book to thank. My only regret is that the chapter introduces so many fun cursed magic items, and I hardly ever get an opportunity to use any in a game.

Chapter 8 (New Rules) is an important chapter containing three new concepts: additional combat maneuvers, hero points, and traits. [I'm almost done, but have run out of space here. The end of the review can be found at: http://jhaeman.blogspot.com.au/2017/07/advanced-players-guide-rpg.html]


A very awesome book

5/5

this expands almost perfectly on what the core is.

They add some very solid and original class ideas.

This a must buy for some that like pathfinder


5/5


The Shinning Example of What Pathfinder Books Should Be

5/5

The Advanced Player's Guide (APG) is to this day one the best books for Pathfinder. It introduces a number of (now iconic) classes unique to the system.

The overall balance of the book is amazing. Alchemist and Inquisitor are probably the two most well-balanced classes in the game, and the latter is what I consider to be the best designed one in all of Pathfinder.

We get a few alternate rules that are pretty cool, such as word casting and character traits. We even get new combat maneuvers added to the fold!

The possibilities of character creation allowed by this book greatly increases the variety and fun of Pathfinder. If you can only buy a single expansion book, buy this one.

The book is not perfect, of course. The Summoner class (and even more so, its archetypes) would really benefit from clearer wording. It's sad to see cool ideas such as word casting being completely abandoned after this...

Still, those are minor problems in comparison to all the good stuff that is included in the APG, and the book still deserves its 5-star rating.


1 to 5 of 48 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
351 to 400 of 1,085 << first < prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | next > last >>
Shadow Lodge

Alizor wrote:
Subscribers always get the PDF when the item is mailed out, generally 1-2 weeks before the "street date." PDFs for non-subscribers can only be bought on the "street date" which for Gencon is August 5th. This means that subscribers will get the PDF early at the beginning of August/end of July.

For certain values of 'always'. Keep in mind last gencon subscribers didn't get the PDF until the first day of Gencon but many received the Core Book sooner.

Dark Archive

Shem wrote:
But you never tell them that until after they sign. Then you they can read the contract. If they do not read it they never know until collection time....

Of course we don't! What would be the point of letting your hapless vic... er, new friends, read the fine print? ;)


Paizo Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Asgetrion wrote:
What would be the point of letting your hapless vic... er, new friends, read the fine print? ;)

You would only ruin their eyes, and that wouldn't be very nice.

The Exchange

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Card Game, Lost Omens, Maps, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
0gre wrote:
Alizor wrote:
Subscribers always get the PDF when the item is mailed out, generally 1-2 weeks before the "street date." PDFs for non-subscribers can only be bought on the "street date" which for Gencon is August 5th. This means that subscribers will get the PDF early at the beginning of August/end of July.
For certain values of 'always'. Keep in mind last gencon subscribers didn't get the PDF until the first day of Gencon but many received the Core Book sooner.

Yeah, but Vic earlier in this thread mentioned that they're pretty certain the APG isn't going to work that way.

Dark Archive

Lanx wrote:
Asgetrion wrote:
What would be the point of letting your hapless vic... er, new friends, read the fine print? ;)
You would only ruin their eyes, and that wouldn't be very nice.

Very true, and should I want to, I can always ruin their eyes with my infamous Naked Dwarven Beard Dance! :P


What are the odds my subscription will reach my in the UK by Aug 3rd? I'll be going away again on the 4th, so it'll be great to have this (& AP 36-37) too before then!


Well if it comes the first week of August is after my birthday which is disappointing but I will still have it to use to design a game for Fur Fright.

Liberty's Edge

Has there any talk of additional ranger combat styles? If so, were any details given? I've done some forum searches but nothing came up ...

Thanks!


Marc Radle wrote:


Has there any talk of additional ranger combat styles? If so, were any details given? I've done some forum searches but nothing came up ...

Thanks!

I 'think' some were mentioned, but I don't believe any details were given.


Marc Radle wrote:


Has there any talk of additional ranger combat styles? If so, were any details given? I've done some forum searches but nothing came up ...

Thanks!

Erik Mona mentioned a shapeshifting ranger in another thread.


Oh, yeah, give the ranger the same ability to break the game as the Druid, what a fantastic idea and ignore what some of us have been doing for unarmed styles, two-handed weapon styles...

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Except that the Druid gamebreakness was taken away in PFRPG, since Wildshape just makes you look like bear in the woods, as opposed to switching you into a full spellcasting living bulldozer like it used to in 3.5

Shapeshifting ranger sounds fun.


Pathfinder Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
FenrysStar wrote:
Oh, yeah, give the ranger the same ability to break the game as the Druid, what a fantastic idea and ignore what some of us have been doing for unarmed styles, two-handed weapon styles...

I figured you of all people would be excited about more opportunities to change into animal form. ;-)

Liberty's Edge

hogarth wrote:
Marc Radle wrote:


Has there any talk of additional ranger combat styles? If so, were any details given? I've done some forum searches but nothing came up ...

Thanks!

Erik Mona mentioned a shapeshifting ranger in another thread.

Hmmmmm ... interesting ....

Do you happen to have a link to this thread?

Thanks!


FenrysStar wrote:
Oh, yeah, give the ranger the same ability to break the game as the Druid, what a fantastic idea and ignore what some of us have been doing for unarmed styles, two-handed weapon styles...

Oh, yeah, assume this one comment reveals all that Rangers have coming in the entire book.

Seriously, deep breath. Patience, at least wait til the book is out to start foaming at the mouth.

Scarab Sages

Gorbacz wrote:
Except that the Druid gamebreakness was taken away in PFRPG, since Wildshape just makes you look like bear in the woods, as opposed to switching you into a full spellcasting living bulldozer like it used to in 3.5.

Do druids in bear form still s~~# in the woods?

Scarab Sages

Marc Radle wrote:


Has there any talk of additional ranger combat styles? If so, were any details given? I've done some forum searches but nothing came up ...

Thanks!

As GM for a player running a D&D3.5 Scout/Ranger, I know he would be very interested in a single-weapon, mobile combat style.

Mobility, Spring Attack, and maybe trade a class ability (animal companion, since his shadow-heritage already freaks animals) for bonus Skirmish damage.

Add that, and he could probably convert his PC to single-class PF Ranger without a regret.


Marc Radle wrote:
hogarth wrote:
Marc Radle wrote:


Has there any talk of additional ranger combat styles? If so, were any details given? I've done some forum searches but nothing came up ...

Thanks!

Erik Mona mentioned a shapeshifting ranger in another thread.

Hmmmmm ... interesting ....

Do you happen to have a link to this thread?

Thanks!

Here's Erik's hint.


Snorter wrote:
convert

Snorter -- sorry for the threadstalk, but please see here:

Spoiler:

http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/community/gamerLife/talk/canAnyoneSend AnyOfMyAdventureConversionsBackToMe

Can you help me out?

Shadow Lodge

I was thinking of trying an alchemist as a shifter but the ranger shape shifter sounds cool. If they got something like the druidic shifting instead of the animal companion and combat styles it would be pretty sweet.


I know this is a bit late (should have said it during the playtest), but here goes:

I really hope the book will include a feat like "Brutal Throw" from 'Complete Adventurer' (page 106): "Use your Strength modifier instead of your Dexterity modifier as a bonus to attack rolls with thrown
weapons."

I really look forward to playing a strength/intelligence based Alchemist and such a feat would allow him to also use the bombs.


Wow, oh Wow !!!

I think I just had a nerdgasm!!!

-- david
Papa.DRB

hogarth wrote:
Erik Mona mentioned a shapeshifting ranger in another thread.


Snorter wrote:
Marc Radle wrote:


Has there any talk of additional ranger combat styles? If so, were any details given? I've done some forum searches but nothing came up ...

Thanks!

As GM for a player running a D&D3.5 Scout/Ranger, I know he would be very interested in a single-weapon, mobile combat style.

Mobility, Spring Attack, and maybe trade a class ability (animal companion, since his shadow-heritage already freaks animals) for bonus Skirmish damage.

Add that, and he could probably convert his PC to single-class PF Ranger without a regret.

Definitely. But there is nothing stopping you from home-brewing such a thing yourself Snorts... or allowing me to do it instead.

If you go right back to my choice of class, it was based on the high number of undead rumoured in the latter stages of the AP plus the problems with 3.5 sneak attack for undead that made me go scout/ranger. In PF a rogue would be fairly close, plus some single weapon/fast movement goodness and you're there, or a ranger plus some fast movement/sneak attack stuff.

Sorry, going a bit OT there. APG could be sooo cool, but I'll wait til I see it - ideally, it would have some mix-and-match class ability swaps in there, but I know how hard that is to include...


i have a different kind of question. should i just cancel my "preorder?" since the "preorder" books arrive weeks after the books hit stores. because i would like my book in a timely manner. when i think "preorder" you are secured a copy and normally get it the same time as everyone else. i just ask because, the gamemastery guide still hasn't arrived and its been out for a while. seems like "preordering" is more of a penalty then a bonus. i would love to support the company directly, but i do get pissed seeing the books in stores and the "preoders" are still not in.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Frigatii wrote:
i have a different kind of question. should i just cancel my "preorder?" since the "preorder" books arrive weeks after the books hit stores. because i would like my book in a timely manner. when i think "preorder" you are secured a copy and normally get it the same time as everyone else. i just ask because, the gamemastery guide still hasn't arrived and its been out for a while. seems like "preordering" is more of a penalty then a bonus. i would love to support the company directly, but i do get pissed seeing the books in stores and the "preoders" are still not in.

If you preordered a book from us and it still hasn't shown up... you should contact Customer Service. Because it sounds like something weird happened if you still don't have a GameMastery Guide.

Verdant Wheel

I live in South America and my Gamemastery Guide arrived yesterday.


The advantage of being a suscriber is the early and cost free PDF. ^^ As for the real book, it depends on how intently the costums guys want to fondle the package. My first suscription issue of Kingmaker arrived after less than a week, the last one after 3 1/2.

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Alizor wrote:
Subscribers always get the PDF when the item is mailed out, generally 1-2 weeks before the "street date." PDFs for non-subscribers can only be bought on the "street date" which for Gencon is August 5th. This means that subscribers will get the PDF early at the beginning of August/end of July.

Just confirming that that's the plan here... we hope to ship subscriber copies around the last week of July, with subscribers getting PDFs at that time. The street date will be August 5, the first day of Gen Con, which is also when the PDF will be available for purchase by nonsubscribers.


Alch wrote:

I know this is a bit late (should have said it during the playtest), but here goes:

I really hope the book will include a feat like "Brutal Throw" from 'Complete Adventurer' (page 106): "Use your Strength modifier instead of your Dexterity modifier as a bonus to attack rolls with thrown
weapons."

I remember that feat fondly... in fact, in my PFRPG campaign, I've house-ruled that all Giants get Brutal Throw as a bonus feat. Worked wonders in Chapter 4 of my Rise of the Runelords campaign, hehe!

Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Card Game, Maps, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

So, when are we going to see the PFS guide updated with what is legal from the APG?

Dark Archive

Tim Statler wrote:
So, when are we going to see the PFS guide updated with what is legal from the APG?

That question has been asked in the PFS section a couple of times and will be the best place to find that answer.

Dark Archive

I'm SO looking forward to getting this book now...


Pathfinder Companion Subscriber
Maveric28 wrote:
Alch wrote:

I know this is a bit late (should have said it during the playtest), but here goes:

I really hope the book will include a feat like "Brutal Throw" from 'Complete Adventurer' (page 106): "Use your Strength modifier instead of your Dexterity modifier as a bonus to attack rolls with thrown
weapons."

I remember that feat fondly... in fact, in my PFRPG campaign, I've house-ruled that all Giants get Brutal Throw as a bonus feat. Worked wonders in Chapter 4 of my Rise of the Runelords campaign, hehe!

That's just mean! So I'll use it!

Thanks!


Since roughly a third of the witch's familiar options aren't going to be available to us for several months yet, will there be another "Bestiary II" preview at GenCon to allow us to make witches with goat or octopus familiars?


If this has been answered elsewhere I apologize for not finding it. But will there be any feats for the Alchemist class to get more discoveries? I am looking at this for something I plan on running at Fur Fright on Halloween weekend. One of the the pre-gen characters I want to offer will be a skunk-folk alchemist. For balance purposes, skunk folk cannot throw musk. So I want to offer them a way to fast track them getting the Stink Bomb Discovery. I am either hoping there is something like an Extra Discovery feat available. Either that or I may just house rule that when a Puzzola Alchemist chooses the discovery smoke bomb he has the option of getting stink bomb as a bonus discovery.


Again, if this has been answered elsewhere, I apologize for repeating the question. I've preordered the book, and am not a subscriber. Any hints as to when I can expect it to ship? Many thanks in advance for any info.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I'm not sure if this was asked, but is there any info on if there will be any feats or 'abilities" or classes, for that matter, that pertain to an archer build? I know ranger is typically the archer, but I went fighter archer, which is amazing btw, but I was looking for some class abilities maybe from either fighter or a new feat? I know there was the prestige class "order of the bow initiate" in 3.5, anything like that coming out in PFRPG?

Scarab Sages Contributor, RPG Superstar 2008 Top 4, Legendary Games

Grizzly420 wrote:
I'm not sure if this was asked, but is there any info on if there will be any feats or 'abilities" or classes, for that matter, that pertain to an archer build? I know ranger is typically the archer, but I went fighter archer, which is amazing btw, but I was looking for some class abilities maybe from either fighter or a new feat? I know there was the prestige class "order of the bow initiate" in 3.5, anything like that coming out in PFRPG?

There are 'specialty kits' for most of the classes, covering most of the classic archetypes. At the preview Banquet, Jason B mentioned fighters who specialized in using a single weapon with one hand free and described a few of the special abilities associated with going that route, and mentioned that over a dozen other combat archetypes got the same treatment. Chances are pretty good that an archer type, being a pretty iconic type of warrior, should be on that list. Only a few more weeks til you can find out for sure!


Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Jason Nelson wrote:
Grizzly420 wrote:
I'm not sure if this was asked, but is there any info on if there will be any feats or 'abilities" or classes, for that matter, that pertain to an archer build? I know ranger is typically the archer, but I went fighter archer, which is amazing btw, but I was looking for some class abilities maybe from either fighter or a new feat? I know there was the prestige class "order of the bow initiate" in 3.5, anything like that coming out in PFRPG?
There are 'specialty kits' for most of the classes, covering most of the classic archetypes. At the preview Banquet, Jason B mentioned fighters who specialized in using a single weapon with one hand free and described a few of the special abilities associated with going that route, and mentioned that over a dozen other combat archetypes got the same treatment. Chances are pretty good that an archer type, being a pretty iconic type of warrior, should be on that list. Only a few more weeks til you can find out for sure!

Thanks Sally, I can't wait to see this book.

Scarab Sages Contributor, RPG Superstar 2008 Top 4, Legendary Games

Justin Franklin wrote:
Jason Nelson wrote:
Grizzly420 wrote:
I'm not sure if this was asked, but is there any info on if there will be any feats or 'abilities" or classes, for that matter, that pertain to an archer build? I know ranger is typically the archer, but I went fighter archer, which is amazing btw, but I was looking for some class abilities maybe from either fighter or a new feat? I know there was the prestige class "order of the bow initiate" in 3.5, anything like that coming out in PFRPG?
There are 'specialty kits' for most of the classes, covering most of the classic archetypes. At the preview Banquet, Jason B mentioned fighters who specialized in using a single weapon with one hand free and described a few of the special abilities associated with going that route, and mentioned that over a dozen other combat archetypes got the same treatment. Chances are pretty good that an archer type, being a pretty iconic type of warrior, should be on that list. Only a few more weeks til you can find out for sure!
Thanks Sally, I can't wait to see this book.

Nice. ;)

Spoiler:
... but you forgot to dress me up first. It's a necessary precondition.


Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

***FIFA Joke***

Is there a Divination Mystery that could be applied to an awakened octopus Oracle?

I think some German or Spanish paizo-folk would like to have a Paul around ;)

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Autarch wrote:
Again, if this has been answered elsewhere, I apologize for repeating the question. I've preordered the book, and am not a subscriber. Any hints as to when I can expect it to ship? Many thanks in advance for any info.

Preorders ship around the same time as subscriber copies... so the end of this month.


Vic Wertz wrote:
Autarch wrote:
Again, if this has been answered elsewhere, I apologize for repeating the question. I've preordered the book, and am not a subscriber. Any hints as to when I can expect it to ship? Many thanks in advance for any info.
Preorders ship around the same time as subscriber copies... so the end of this month.

Good ti know, I look forward to it and the my adventure path subscription. The orc book is not really on my list of thing I "must" have especially another Golarion book. I'm beginning to think subscribing to the Companion was a mistake.


I don't suppose there's any Alkenstar love in the APG in terms of kits?

...

...

...

Well I didn't suppose there was, but a BOY CAN DREAM!

Dark Archive

Not Alkenstar itself (as a region in Golarion) as this is a setting-netural product.


Ravenmantle wrote:
Not Alkenstar itself (as a region in Golarion) as this is a setting-netural product.

LOL I know that, I was at the banquet....*sniff* by Alkenstar I really meant guns.

Girdle of Gender bending comes back, though?!?!?!?

As an aside though, I hope some of those combat kits are not weapon specific so if I want to make a ranged character utilizing the kits to enhanc gunplay its an option.


Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Jason Nelson wrote:
Justin Franklin wrote:


Thanks Sally, I can't wait to see this book.

Nice. ;)

** spoiler omitted **

I was waiting for just the right post for that. :)

Scarab Sages

I adore the cover & it's great the Witch features on it. We have two female icons with white hair though (Seoni & now the Witch)?? The Oracle icon is so unique, perhaps the Witch icon will have red hair by the time the book comes out? Or is Seoni changing to blonde? haha

I cannot wait for this book to come out!!
Is anyone aware if the Witch's casting-tied ability score has been changed to Wisdom from Intelligence? That would be so great if it were.
I'll deal if it's not. I was just hoping for the change since reading the play-test guide. For many reasons it would seem to make sense to design it around Wisdom, rather than Intelligence. The most basic of these is that it differentiates the class.
Rather than seeming like a specialized wizard with hexes, the Witch becomes a Wise Woman (as Witches have generally been thought of in folklore); an arcane caster with Wisdom as her casting score.

Anyway I won't run on. If anyone knows the answer to this, can you fill me in? Thanks!

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
zabei wrote:

I adore the cover & it's great the Witch features on it. We have two female icons with white hair though (Seoni & now the Witch)?? The Oracle icon is so unique, perhaps the Witch icon will have red hair by the time the book comes out? Or is Seoni changing to blonde? haha

I cannot wait for this book to come out!!
Is anyone aware if the Witch's casting-tied ability score has been changed to Wisdom from Intelligence? That would be so great if it were.
I'll deal if it's not. I was just hoping for the change since reading the play-test guide. For many reasons it would seem to make sense to design it around Wisdom, rather than Intelligence. The most basic of these is that it differentiates the class.
Rather than seeming like a specialized wizard with hexes, the Witch becomes a Wise Woman (as Witches have generally been thought of in folklore); an arcane caster with Wisdom as her casting score.

Anyway I won't run on. If anyone knows the answer to this, can you fill me in? Thanks!

Your'e two flamewars and one book development cycle too late with that suggestion :)

351 to 400 of 1,085 << first < prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Advanced Player's Guide (OGL) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.