Pathfinder Companion: Gnomes of Golarion (PFRPG)

4.70/5 (based on 7 ratings)
Pathfinder Companion: Gnomes of Golarion (PFRPG)
Show Description For:
Non-Mint

Print Edition Out of print

Add PDF $7.99

Non-Mint Unavailable

Facebook Twitter Email

Know Your Gnomes!

Exiled from the mysterious fey realm of the First World, gnomes are fundamentally alien to Golarion. Endlessly excitable, gnomes amuse and terrify other races with their strange obsessions and unconventional methods. Their childlike wonder—and sometimes innocent cruelty—are two sides of the same coin, and every coin the gnomes have is spent in pursuit of adventure, whether they like it or not. For the gnomes have a dark secret: should they ever stop seeking out new experiences, they fall prey to the Bleaching, a wasting disease that slowly sucks away their hold on the world, leaving them nothing but bones and dust.

    Inside this Pathfinder Companion, you’ll find the following:
  • Details on the gnomes of Golarion—how they live, who they worship, their relations with other races, their strange obsessions, and more.
  • History and folklore of the gnome race.
  • Map and descriptions of the major gnome settlements.
  • New traits designed exclusively for gnome characters.
  • Rules for the Wonderseekers, a new faction dedicated to fending off the Bleaching.
  • Statistics for the Bleaching, as well as for those strange creatures known as bleachlings.
  • Bizarre new gnome weapons, spells, and feats.

By Colin McComb, Steven Schend, Sean K Reynolds, Owen KC Stephens, Mark Moreland, Jeff Quick, and Hal Maclean

Each bimonthly 32-page Pathfinder Companion contains several player-focused articles exploring the volume’s theme as well as short articles with innovative new rules for social, magic, religious, and combat-focused characters, as well as a persona section detailing helpful NPCs and traits to better anchor the player to the campaign.

ISBN-13: 978-1-60125-223-4

Other Resources: This product is also available on the following platforms:

Hero Lab Online
Archives of Nethys

Note: This product is part of the Pathfinder Player Companion Subscription.

Product Availability

Print Edition:

Out of print

This product is out of print.

PDF:

Fulfilled immediately.

Non-Mint:

Unavailable

This product is non-mint. Refunds are not available for non-mint products.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZO9411


See Also:

6 to 7 of 7 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>

Average product rating:

4.70/5 (based on 7 ratings)

Sign in to create or edit a product review.

Annoying in a good way!

5/5

Even more than the halflings, the gnomes have struggled to find a place in fantasy gaming. Big noses, illusions, inventions that fail disastrously, and talking to moles might make for good cartoon gags, but they don't exactly make for great heroes. Gnomes have never done anything that halflings or dwarves don't do better – at least nothing useful.

Until Pathfinder, that is. Gnomes are no longer annoying because they are pointless. Gnomes are annoying because that is how they stay alive and vibrant. A gnome that does not seek out new, exciting adventures can fall pray to bleaching. The Bleaching literally strips their color away and, eventually, their life. Gnomes have to regularly overturn their lives, and the lives of everyone around them, or they will slowly fade away.

The gnomes come from the fey First World. Were they migrants to Golarion? Escapees? Deportees? They don't remember and the fey aren't talking. Whatever their reason for leaving, the trip was one way. The gnomes are not a natural part of Golarion, but they are now a permanent part of it. Their otherworldly origin is an important part of their character. Gnomes make every attempt to fit in on Golarion, but they don't quite understand how mortal life works or how the races think.

All of the non-human player character races are literary descendant of fairies, or closely equivalent beings, from various European mythologies. Golarion gnomes gain some individuality and differentiate themselves from halflings and dwarves by reinstating this fey connection. Gnomes have always been more magical than the other two short races. This book gives a good explanation for that magic and gives the gnomes verisimilitude they haven't had before.

With the fey connection and the threat of bleaching, gnomes actually make sense as magic using practical jokers. Their high charisma helps them avoid some of the backlash they might otherwise receive for their behavior. More importantly, gnomish practical jokes are explicitly non-malicious. A gnome might play a practical joke on a paladin to bring his ego back down to earth, but he wouldn't do it out of cruelty. Annoying in a fun way – that's what the Gnomes of Golarion offers, as opposed to the annoying in an annoying way gnomes I've run into before at the gaming table.

If the book has any weakness, it's the sample characters. Upon reflection, I can see how they are whimsical and perfectly gnomish. The written descriptions, however, leave them seeming mostly... odd. One character gives away a magical copper coin away and then tracks it down and retrieves it by any means necessary. The other is Don Quixote-style knight who wears a tea kettle as a helmet and runs a constant monologue as he battles. They should seem a lot more silly and non-human than they do. They come off more as bad play actors than actual fey-touched gnomes.

But the sample characters are a small quibble. If you play gnomes, or wonder why anyone would play one, this is the book for you. No matter your game world, it will be a lot more colorful and interesting with these gnomes in it.


Buy it. Now!

5/5

I was NOT excited for this book.... well, I was wrong and I'm proud to slap a 5 star rating in it. This is by and large my favorite of the Companion line to date. Interesting and useful new traits, spells, and equipment (you will enjoy gnome weaponry, I promise). There's something in here for everyone, even an ability that allows Gnome Barbarians to feint while raging (I.E. they look so ridiculous they catch the enemy off gaurd). Flavorful, witty, and most importantly fun.


6 to 7 of 7 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
101 to 131 of 131 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
The Exchange

Just dropping into the thread to say, I just rolled up a Gnome Sorcerer this weekend to play in a Kingmaker game PLAY! Not GM! A rare thing indeed for me, which should bold and underline how infrequently I get to play as a PC.

This book, which I picked up on a whim the day before character creation, made my mind up for me. I was on the fence between Gnome, Human, and Half-Elf, but after this there was no turning back. Not only is this my favorite Companion product, it's also hands down my favorite racially themed supplement, period.

The Exchange

cappadocius wrote:
DM Wellard wrote:
Nor is there a description of the flickmace.
ALREADY ANSWERED IN THIS THREAD.

Well, vaguely commented by Sean on rather than answered.

Sean K Reynolds wrote:
IIRC it was a mace with a built-in spring, allowing you to use an action to change it from a normal mace to a reach weapon.

Since these (flickmace and switchscythe) are honest editing mistakes for which the original text should still be available, could one of the Paizo worthies please dump it into this thread? My gnomish bard could make good use of a flickmace, if I knew the details.


May I safely assume that this book does indeed rescue Gnomes from the "PC Scrappy heap"? I would like to see how Golarion's Gnomes differ the all-too-often "punier and friendlier dwarves" niche they seem to have filled before.


Eric Hinkle wrote:
May I safely assume that this book does indeed rescue Gnomes from the "PC Scrappy heap"? I would like to see how Golarion's Gnomes differ the all-too-often "punier and friendlier dwarves" niche they seem to have filled before.

Yep! Gnomes in Golarion have been unique and non-sucky since day one, but this provides the most in-depth look at their history, physiology, culture, weapons, settlements, etc. than any previous source.

Dark Archive

Yeah paizo has for the first time ever IMHO made gnomes interesting and gave them their own niche. This product just takes what they already started and makes it better.


brock wrote:
Sean K Reynolds wrote:
IIRC it was a mace with a built-in spring, allowing you to use an action to change it from a normal mace to a reach weapon.
Since these (flickmace and switchscythe) are honest editing mistakes for which the original text should still be available, could one of the Paizo worthies please dump it into this thread? My gnomish bard could make good use of a flickmace, if I knew the details.

Here's my take on it, based on the fact that it's a reach and trip weapon. Basically, think of it like acting like an umbrella:

This mace has a spring-loaded haft which can be used to suddenly extend the mace into a reach weapon. Triggering the spring is a swift action which does not provoke attacks of opportunity. When triggered, the wielder may aim the mace at an adjacent foe by making a melee touch attack. If this hits, the wielder can then make a trip attack against that target. They may be tripped during this trip attempt, but it does not otherwise provoke. Whoever is tripped ends up prone 5' further away from their opponent. Resetting the mace to a non-reach weapon is a standard action which does provoke. While in reach mode, all attacks take a -2 penalty due to unbalanced weight.

Thoughts?

Sovereign Court

Would still love some answers to these questions:

Flickmace - how far of a reach does it have? What actions are required to extend it and then retract it (move, standard, free, etc.)?
Switchscythe - what is the cost for it? Are the rest of the stats the same as a regular scythe?
Gnome weapons - which ones, if any, of them are considered a Gnome weapons and are therefore Martial instead of Exotic for Gnomes?

If there was an errata somewhere about this, I have failed to find it.


Markusdark wrote:

Would still love some answers to these questions:

Flickmace - how far of a reach does it have? What actions are required to extend it and then retract it (move, standard, free, etc.)?
Switchscythe - what is the cost for it? Are the rest of the stats the same as a regular scythe?
Gnome weapons - which ones, if any, of them are considered a Gnome weapons and are therefore Martial instead of Exotic for Gnomes?

If there was an errata somewhere about this, I have failed to find it.

There hasn't been yet. I'd hope that Paizo will errata it in a second printing, if they get that far.


Ashram wrote:
Markusdark wrote:

Would still love some answers to these questions:

Flickmace - how far of a reach does it have? What actions are required to extend it and then retract it (move, standard, free, etc.)?
Switchscythe - what is the cost for it? Are the rest of the stats the same as a regular scythe?
Gnome weapons - which ones, if any, of them are considered a Gnome weapons and are therefore Martial instead of Exotic for Gnomes?

If there was an errata somewhere about this, I have failed to find it.

There hasn't been yet. I'd hope that Paizo will errata it in a second printing, if they get that far.

Wow that seems very 1950's. Its a simple request that remedies their publishing mistake. I don't mean to sound critical but this should happen here, yesterday.

Of course they are busy etc.... but really are they watching customer reactions?

Liberty's Edge

Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Sigurd wrote:


Wow that seems very 1950's. Its a simple request that remedies their publishing mistake. I don't mean to sound critical but this should happen here, yesterday.

Of course they are busy etc.... but really are they watching customer reactions?

This is one of my Biggest complaints with Paizo, Unless they do a second printing you will never see an errata, except for random posts spread throughout the forums.

And we are too busy is not cutting it for me anymore after 2+ years.

Don't expect an reprint of this, so don't expect an errata.

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

We launched a system to help us compile errata in August, but to start with, it's only available for the core RPG products. Once we get it ironed out, we'll start applying it to other products.

Dragnmoon wrote:
And we are too busy is not cutting it for me anymore after 2+ years.

I'd expect that *most* people looking in would guess that, given the success of the Pathfinder RPG, we're probably busier than ever, and they'd be right. But our priority is, and always will be, making sure new material is as close to on schedule as we can get.

Liberty's Edge

Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Vic Wertz wrote:

We launched a system to help us compile errata in August, but to start with, it's only available for the core RPG products. Once we get it ironed out, we'll start applying it to other products.

Dragnmoon wrote:
And we are too busy is not cutting it for me anymore after 2+ years.
I'd expect that *most* people looking in would guess that, given the success of the Pathfinder RPG, we're probably busier than ever, and they'd be right. But our priority is, and always will be, making sure new material is as close to on schedule as we can get.

Like I said... Not cutting it anymore...I know your busy... don't care anymore after hearing the same thing since you stopped doing Dragon/Dungeon.

To me it is important enough for you to find the time...

Though I except others will disagree. And I now realize you will never do Erratas for books that don't go into second printing, you will always be "Too Busy".

Edit: Edited for errors ;)

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Dragnmoon wrote:
And I now realize you will never do Erratas for books that don't go into second printing...

I just told you that we'll be applying the new FAQ/errata compilation system to other products in the future...

Liberty's Edge

Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Vic Wertz wrote:
Dragnmoon wrote:
And I now realize you will never do Erratas for books that don't go into second printing...

I just told you that we'll be applying the new FAQ/errata compilation system to other products in the future...

Vic...are you confusing me with someone else? when did you tell me that? And I was not aware that the FAQ was an Errata to.

Edit: NM... Missed the statement above what you quoted from me.

That said... I still was not aware that the FAQ system was going to be an Errata to.. Does that mean it will be used to fix Stat block mistakes to or just to clear up mistakes in the text that where not clear enough.. I am looking for both.

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Dragnmoon wrote:
That said... I still was not aware that the FAQ system was going to be an Errata to.. Does that mean it will be used to fix Stat block mistakes to or just to clear up mistakes in the text that where not clear enough.. I am looking for both.

One thing we've learned over the last year is that different people have different definitions of and expectations for FAQs and errata, so I'm hesitant to use those terms a lot. But to give you examples, you can use the system to report everything from rules questions to typos.

The folks behind the scenes will note the typos in case that book gets reprinted or that material gets reused somewhere, but they probably won't bother putting stuff that doesn't affect gameplay anywhere visible to you, unless it gets incorporated into a formal errata PDF (which I'll define here as a document that describes changes between printings) if we reprint.

The more important an issue is to gameplay, though, the more likely it will be added to the publicly viewable FAQ. (There's no reason a FAQ can't include a question like "The guy on page 56 has a CMB of 15. Is that right?")

Liberty's Edge

Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Thanks for the Answer Vic. I have a few more questions, but moving the to the Appropriate forum thread.


By all means make it easy for you to not duplicate your efforts.

I realize you guys have a lot of products but a window to respond to each product's shortfalls seems a reasonable thing especially if you have subscribers who trust you guys for a high quality product. "Product Discussion" would be a very logical place for the consumer.

It's not really a centralization issue because you're going to want the responder to be familiar with that product anyway.

In your shoes, I might even remove the product discussion thread if its not possible to answer questions etc... They'll just turn into a gripe session if people feel ignored.

btw.

I wanted to send you this as a private message but I couldn't see how to do that either.

Liberty's Edge

Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Sigurd wrote:


I wanted to send you this as a private message but I couldn't see how to do that either.

There is no way...


Dragnmoon wrote:
Sigurd wrote:


I wanted to send you this as a private message but I couldn't see how to do that either.
There is no way...

There is e-mail.


Yup, everything comes together for probably the least appreciated race in fantasy gaming. Now I see no reason to play any other race than a Gnome.

This book is light-hearted, relevant and changes Gnomes enough to make them interesting and fun and more Fey than Elves. Finally!

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I think the things I like best about Golarion are the things that have changed most. Goblins and gnomes are at the top of that list.

Liberty's Edge

Dragnmoon wrote:
And 'we are too busy' is not cutting it for me anymore after 2+ years.

Bingo; and make it 3+ years now, since I'm necro'ing this thread (whose most recent post before mine was over a year earlier).

It'd take like two minutes for somebody to swing in with "These are the stats of a Flickmace" or "Flickmace does not exist; ignore the entry". Yet, no errata tag for this product.

Contributor

Mike Schneider wrote:
Dragnmoon wrote:
And 'we are too busy' is not cutting it for me anymore after 2+ years.
Bingo; and make it 3+ years now, since I'm necro'ing this thread (whose most recent post before mine was over a year earlier).

May 2010 --> Dec 2011 = 3 years? Gotcha.

Liberty's Edge

Ah! A developer with time on his hands!

<gleeful feeling>

How does a Gnome Flickmace work?

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Mike Schneider wrote:

Ah! A developer with time on his hands!

<gleeful feeling>

How does a Gnome Flickmace work?

All we've said about it is here.

Liberty's Edge

Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Can you use the Adopted Trait (Social) to Take one of the Gnome Social Traits in this book?

Liberty's Edge

Dragnmoon wrote:
Can you use the Adopted Trait (Social) to Take one of the Gnome Social Traits in this book?

This question appears to remain unanswered and has popped up in a new thread.

Grand Lodge

Hi Folks!

I've got a quick question that I'm hoping can garner an answer . . .

Gnomes of Golarion, page 14 of the Gnome Traits chapter, includes a statement that all the included traits are considered gnome racial traits and continues to state that only gnomes can take them.

It then makes the following statement: (Of course, a character of a different race could still select a gnome racial trait if she has the Adopted trait presented in the Pathfinder RPG Character Traits Web Enhancement.)

Now, the Adopted trait clearly states that Race traits can be taken and we have seen in numerous threads here on this messageboard that there is a difference between Race traits and Racial traits.

So was it the intention of the authors to allow all of the traits in Gnomes of Golarion to be taken as part of the adopted trait? Or did the authors make a mistake in the book?

Thanks for any help here.

P.S. I'm working on this book for PCGen and it makes a big difference which is the case.


Was there ever a price established for the switch scythe?


Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Ha! People have been waiting almost seven years for the full stats on the flickmace and clarification on the switchscythe. Do not hold your breath . . .


Jhaeman wrote:
Ha! People have been waiting almost seven years for the full stats on the flickmace and clarification on the switchscythe. Do not hold your breath . . .

You can find the flickmace in the Weapon Master's Handbook as one of the example weapons for the new construction system.

101 to 131 of 131 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / Pathfinder Companion: Gnomes of Golarion (PFRPG) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.