The Genius Guide to Loot 4 Less: Volume 1—Armor and Weapons (PFRPG) PDF

3.70/5 (based on 3 ratings)

Our Price: $3.99

Add to Cart
Facebook Twitter Email

Welcome to the first book in the Loot 4 Less line, where we deal exclusively in items with a cost-to-consumer of 2,500 gp or less. That's right: no epic artifacts, rods of eleventy parts or even typical moderate magic items here. This is a forum for the cheapest of the cheap, and that's it. And just to up the level of difficulty, we also don't deal in one-shot (or even two- or three-shot) magic items. No scrolls, potions, talismans or fire-and-forget tattoo magics here. Everything in these pages is a legitimate permanent magic item, free of charges and able to be used in adventure after adventure.

Volume 1 introduces low cost magic armor and weapons, priced so any cost conscience adventurer can afford one. Get your Tombkeeper Greatsword or Boltcatcher Shield today!

Product Availability

Fulfilled immediately.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZOPDFRGGOWC5006E


See Also:

Average product rating:

3.70/5 (based on 3 ratings)

Sign in to create or edit a product review.

Great Resource for Low-Magic Games!

5/5

I was surprised by this product. I didn't expect much for $3, but this system of fractional bonuses lays the groundwork for a bunch of cool things. I would like to see this expanded upon. Abilities such as "Leavened" or "Willing" are great (and no doubt will see use in my future campaigns), but it feels like there was some holding back in other areas like "Faux-flaming," which is great for flavoring a weapon, but nothing I would charge a player 500 gold for.

Overall, I'd give it a 4.5 out of 5, but I'm rounding up because of the awesomeness of the frame on which the properties are built. I would like to see more properties (like adding 1 fire/cold/etc damage to a weapon, or minor skill bonuses). Hopefully Super Genius Games can deliver a future product in this vein. :)


Not what I was expecting

2/5

This product is 8 pages long.

I want to be fair to this product. So I am just going to lay out my feelings and why. Since this was not what i was really expecting I felt disappointed with it. It is a list of magic abilities that are weaker than normal and adds in fraction powers(since magic items are built on +1 typically)

The product is well written and if that type of thing appeals to you then you might like the product. I just found I doubt I would ever use this product personally and knowing what I know now I wouldn't have bought it. In fact it has keep me from buying the rest of the line. I know they are popular so it is possible i am just not the target audience for this product.


Cheap PDF for Low Level Magic

4/5

The Genius Guide to Loot 4 Less : Armor and Weapons

Production: 8/10
I loaded up the PDF and was thrilled to see it fit the format of my widescreen laptop. I see too many 8.5” x 11” formatted PDFs that I’m never going to print out. With that said the internal layout was simple and very readable. For some reason the layout seems cleaner than on the companion book in the series.

Art: 7/10
I’ll be honest, at this price point I all I expect out of the art is that it not be distracting. The art isn’t quite as good as it is on the Rings book but still pleasant.

Text: 7/10
The writing of this book was a tad ambitious but over all I think the writer was up to the challenge though I disagree with some of the conclusions. For example, I don’t like Spellforged being a fractional bonus rather than a simple cost based enhancement or effect on an item. The argument for the fractional bonuses and other underlying logic takes a bit and may beyond the ability of some attention challenged readers. I can definitely seem some qualities such as Leavened, Restful and Sharp making their ways into my games. The balance elements seems fine as well.

Overall: Pass
I judge products on a pass fail basis of would I allow their content into my games. This passes. Additionally, I think it was a good value for low level games.


Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Sounds interesting, I may give it a try.


I loved teh Loot 4 Less for 3.5. For a buck and a half I'll probably have to buy this too!


This was pretty good; preferred the ring book, though.

I DID like the picture of the kwan do, however!!

Scarab Sages

Denim N Leather wrote:

This was pretty good; preferred the ring book, though.

I DID like the picture of the kwan do, however!!

Thanks for the feedback!

Since we plan to do more of these on different subjects, I do want to ask: Was there something specific you prefered about the Rings book, or was it just the various powers or design choices made?

In any case, glad you still likied this one!


Owen K. C. Stephens wrote:
Denim N Leather wrote:

This was pretty good; preferred the ring book, though.

I DID like the picture of the kwan do, however!!

Thanks for the feedback!

Since we plan to do more of these on different subjects, I do want to ask: Was there something specific you prefered about the Rings book, or was it just the various powers or design choices made?

In any case, glad you still liked this one!

Sorry for the delay in my reply. I wanted to re-read the supplement again before typing.

While I definitely appreciate the obvious thought and considerabe effort that went into the concept, it just seems like an entire new subset of rules to keep in mind. I can barely grasp the process of creating a "normal" magic item, let alone half bonuses!! =P


If I may ask a question, do these books have the same items as the original Loot 4 Less line published by Interactive Design Adventures? Just wondering if I buy these if I am missing anything from the original books?

Thanks

Scarab Sages

Douglas Mawhinney wrote:

If I may ask a question, do these books have the same items as the original Loot 4 Less line published by Interactive Design Adventures? Just wondering if I buy these if I am missing anything from the original books?

Thanks

These are indeed based on the IDA Loot 4 Less books, which is one reason we kept the name (so those few of you who bought the IDA versions would know it was based on the same stuff). While we will be getting to new categories of items eventually in the SGG line, so far what we have done is clean up errors, make minor tweaks, do new art (sometimes custom art, as in Hot Rods), and update everything to Pathfinder. We -may- have added or removed one or two items per set, but for the most part if a SGG Loot 4 Less covers a category of magic items that one of the 3 IDA L4L covered, it's the same items.

Scarab Sages

Many thanks to Foghammer for the 4.5/5 review!


Owen K. C. Stephens wrote:
Many thanks to Foghammer for the 4.5/5 review!

It was my pleasure! Now make some more! :D

Scarab Sages

Foghammer wrote:
Owen K. C. Stephens wrote:
Many thanks to Foghammer for the 4.5/5 review!
It was my pleasure! Now make some more! :D

Yes sir!

(No, seriously, I'll make more +1/2 bonuses the next Loot 4 Less book.)

Silver Crusade

How balanced are these items when compared to say...Paizo's AP line?


I would say to look at the average wealth by level chart in the CRB and figure the prices against that, but I hear that Paizo APs skew the wealth by level fairly often, sometimes over, sometimes below average. It may depend on the AP you want to run.

But average wealth per level suggests that a PC could afford +1 armor by 3rd level, or a +1 weapon by 4th level. With these items, you could have special abilities on gear much sooner, though they're not going to be game breakers. At the levels that these things will matter most, 500g is a lot; by the time the party can afford normal enhancements, these will be mostly obsolete. Except maybe Spellforged. That one may see use from time to time.

For instance, one ability makes armor easier to put on or take off, or can make a weapon easier to draw. There are some weapon abilities that change the damage type of a weapon (from slashing to bludgeoning, or from bludgeoning to piercing).

These things are great for slower exp track games that start at level 1. If you try to speed through the early levels, you probably won't feel like there's any benefit to these.


Just got this, and I quite like the ideas, especially the weapons. Are there plans for a sequel?

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Cheapy wrote:
Just got this, and I quite like the ideas, especially the weapons. Are there plans for a sequel?

Yes.


I love most of the items in this book. I have a question though. Can you get some of these +1/2 bonuses more than once, say like hurtful?

Scarab Sages Contributor; Developer, Super Genius Games

Thanks, I'm glad you like them!

RAW no, you can't stack hurtful, for the same reasons you can't stack flaming or disrupting.

That said if a GM wanted to allow it, I can't imagine it would unbalance antyhing.


Are there any other released products from SGG that have more of these +1/2 bonuses?

Scarab Sages Contributor; Developer, Super Genius Games

Not yet, although I keep thinking about doing A follow-up Loot for Less with more +1/2 bonuses.


Please do. I really like the concept and definitely want to see more of them.

I am quickly becoming a Super fan.


powerdemon wrote:
I am quickly becoming a Super fan.

In case it's not clear, nearly everything originally released by Super Genius for Pathfinder is now available from Rogue Genius Games, and we have a lot of new material as well!

Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / The Genius Guide to Loot 4 Less: Volume 1—Armor and Weapons (PFRPG) PDF All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.