Pathfinder Module: Crypt of the Everflame (PFRPG)

4.30/5 (based on 43 ratings)
Pathfinder Module: Crypt of the Everflame (PFRPG)

Add PDF $9.99

Print Edition Out of print

Facebook Twitter Email

The young heroes of the town of Kassen are ready for their coming-of-age ceremony, an old tradition in which they retrieve a piece of the eternal flame burning in the tomb of the town's founder. Yet when they arrive there, they find only the corpses of their fellow townsfolk, dead bandits, and mysterious animated skeletons. The novice heroes must brave the traps and perils of the Crypt of the Everflame, discover the source of the corruption that has awakened an ancient evil, and defeat a menace that seeks vengeance against Kassen and its people.

Crypt of the Everflame is a dungeon adventure for 1st-level characters, written for the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game and compatible with the 3.5 edition of the world's oldest RPG. The adventure map uses the same layout as the 2009 edition of Paizo's Flip-Mat: Dungeon.

This adventure is set in the forested land of Nirmathas in the Pathfinder Chronicles campaign setting, but can easily be set in any game world. It can be used on its own or combined with its sequels, Masks of the Living God and City of Golden Death to create an even greater campaign arc.

ISBN 13: 978-1-60125-186-2

Crypt of the Everflame is sanctioned for use in Pathfinder Society Organized Play. Its Chronicle Sheet and additional rules for running this module are a free download (217 KB zip/PDF).

Note: This product is part of the Pathfinder Adventure Subscription.

Product Availability

PDF:

Fulfilled immediately.

Print Edition:

Out of print

This product is out of print.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZO9520


See Also:

6 to 10 of 43 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | next > last >>

Average product rating:

4.30/5 (based on 43 ratings)

Sign in to create or edit a product review.

Perfect Introductory Adventure for Golarion PCs and GMs alike!

5/5

I just finished running this module for a group of players new to the Golarion setting and they really enjoyed it. This module comes with a strong backstory linking it to some rather interesting Golarion lore and even ties in loosely to one of Golarion's cover stealing Big Bads!

The town of Kassen's Hold is richly developed with mentor NPCs for every player to interact with. If the PC's are willing to have their characters come from Kassen originally, this makes for a strong storytelling tie-in as the characters are participating in the yearly Everflame Ritual. It helps give depth and meaning to everything that is going to happen throughout the course of the adventure.

I found that even when I had PC's that wanted their characters to come from elsewhere, that it was relatively easy to find a reason to make them go to the Crypt of the Everflame. Mind you, they all got the standard, "there is such and such coming from the Crypt of the Everflame call-to-adventure", but it worked and managed to get them all there without any trouble.

I chose this as the starter module for my campaign based on the way it ties in to the other entries in the Price of Immortality series as well as its strong ties to Golarion lore. I've found great joy in tying the module in with other stand alone modules such as The Godsmouth Heresy, Fangwood Keep, Hungry Are the Dead and many more.

Pick up a copy of Crypt of the Everflame and get your players started with a rich campaign backstory that will help them build great adventures for many years to come.

Friendly for first time players and long time power gamers alike. If you get through this in one sitting without roleplaying, you need a new GM.


Great for new players

5/5

I'll keep this review short and simple. I loved this module. I ran it for a single player, making slight adjustments, but my player loved it. It introduced her to game mechanics that are beyond the beginner box, without giving the feel of this being a training adventure. It introduced combat maneuvers in an easy way, and allowed her to get a feel for the possibilities of Pathfinder. She had a great time and this is a great module to introduce new players to the game.


Great introduction to the mechanics of Pathfinder with a decent story to boot

4/5

So I just finished running this for a group of 3 total novices and one veteran player. Here's how I feel about it:

+ As a GM you have very little prep time. An experienced GM can pick it up and run it right then and there and it is a perfect introduction for fledgling GMs who might feel intimidated by more complex adventures.

+ This is a great introduction to the different mechanics of Pathfinder without feeling like a "training arena". It very organically introduces concepts like damage reduction, combat maneuvers, swarms, afflictions etc.

+ The story is okay and has some opportunity for role-playing. Especially the fact that every PC can choose to have a mentor in the starting town will help with tying the characters to the locale.

- The entire module is very straight-forward with little crossroads for the players to choose a path from (which I would consider a plus for new GMs and players).

- There is little variety among the opponents and especially skeletons are used a lot. But this can also be seen as a good thing because players get to apply their newly learned knowledge about DR several times.

Summary:
This is a great introductory adventure and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to run their first module or who wants to get new players into the game. Veteran players might feel a little underwhelmed by the complexity of this module but as an entry-level adventure it serves its purpose exceptionally well.

A nice touch is that you can easily expand it to a mini-campaign by following up with Masks of the Living God and City of Golden Death, which my group intends to do.


Great if you're only looking to fight

3/5

Earlier today I went through this module in one setting with a party of 5 level 1 characters. Our glorious party of outcasts featured a medium, brawler, monk, witch and a rogue. Back to the module: I think it is safe to say this is one big dungeon crawl with encounters that can all be lethal, but we managed to survive every single room and rarely were knocked unconscious. Some fights were obviously harder than others due to us lacking some magic, but we had enough blunt damage to fight our way through.

Speaking about fights: every single encounter differs from the rest and no trap is the same either. This makes for a fair amount of diversity in that aspect. Actual role-playing potential with NPC's however is pretty much non-existent. Even though I'm a rogue who prefers to avoid talking to people, it is something that I as a player really missed. It now felt like we were stumbling from one room to another just fighting whoever was in our way. Story-wise it made sense, but it didn't make for the most enjoyable session for me.

If you're purely looking for a good fighting challenge, this module will serve you well. If you want more of a balance, I suggest looking for something else to play.


my review

3/5

This is a good ol" dungeon crawling, like back in my days. ;-)

The town of Kassen should be developped by the GM a little more (after all, it's supposed to be the hometown for some of the player's characters.)

As it's supposed to be a "coming of age" kind of test, I suggest to let the character start at minimal age, and not allowing the longest living races (elf, dwarf) who would start the adventure at 60+ years old.

The dungeon itself can get tough, especially for some level 1 characters. Maybe a side few easy encounters or adventures can give the players enough experience and level up before fighting the boss.


6 to 10 of 43 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | next > last >>
51 to 100 of 164 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>

GeraintElberion wrote:
Having read the playtest reports, both here and on SKR's blog, I am concerned that this introductory adventure will also be an introduction to TPK for a lot of novice players.

There are alot of rest areas. I think it'll be a tough little crawl, but I don't think anything equates to auto-TPK, most of the opponents are mindless or nearly so, so there is no organised defense, hence its perfectly viable to use the healing items provided and maybe rest once.

Sovereign Court

vagrant-poet wrote:
GeraintElberion wrote:
Having read the playtest reports, both here and on SKR's blog, I am concerned that this introductory adventure will also be an introduction to TPK for a lot of novice players.
There are alot of rest areas. I think it'll be a tough little crawl, but I don't think anything equates to auto-TPK, most of the opponents are mindless or nearly so, so there is no organised defense, hence its perfectly viable to use the healing items provided and maybe rest once.

[bitter sarcasm]So, an introduction to the 15 minute adventuring day instead?[/bitter sarcasm]

I have never yet played, or read, a bad Paizo module but I have experienced some which felt criminally over-powered (ie. CotKK) and seeing a party of five played by experienced players, many of whom are professional, need to make full use of rest opportunities and almost get creamed in the finale worries me (presumably the module will include a sample party of four, non-optimised iconics, implying the type of party required).

Spoiler:
How many novice players will remember, when the chips are down, to use spontaneous cures to damage undead?

I'm a huge fan of Paizo and I hope the launch of PFRPG will be a huge success (hence reading playtest reports on the internet) but I do think the experienced hands at Paizo occasionally need reminding that most of us are not as ace, experienced players as they are.


Sean K Reynolds wrote:
We usually pick different iconics for every module. Crypt's are Ezren, Kyra, Merisiel, and Valeros.

What about Amiri!

Lisa!!!

As for the difficulty, I think that was the point of the playtest, to moderate that.


GeraintElberion wrote:
I'm a huge fan of Paizo and I hope the launch of PFRPG will be a huge success (hence reading playtest reports on the internet) but I do think the experienced hands at Paizo occasionally need reminding that most of us are not as ace, experienced players as they are.

What? They played quite erratically and non-optimally, they actaully say so in the thread. They were just having fun, the last battle was hard true, but it sounds like James frequently had the drop fall on him, which is a bad place for a rogue to be.

So without seeing the adventure its entirely bizarre to assume that it somehow definately requires 'ace, experienced players'. Do you not want your game designers to be familiar with the rules?

I reccomend you go read Jason Bulmahn's blog on LiveJournal, iuztheevil. It has some reports from his other playtest group. All totally new or almost new players, and they did WAY better than the staffers, who were just having fun.

Paizo Employee CEO

vagrant-poet wrote:
GeraintElberion wrote:
I'm a huge fan of Paizo and I hope the launch of PFRPG will be a huge success (hence reading playtest reports on the internet) but I do think the experienced hands at Paizo occasionally need reminding that most of us are not as ace, experienced players as they are.
What? They played quite erratically and non-optimally, they actaully say so in the thread.

Absolutely. This module should be a challenge for 1st level characters but nowhere near as tough as some of the early adventures in our Adventure Paths. Our playtest group here at work didn't really care if we died, so we many times did things that weren't optimal, like charging across an almost assuredly trapped area, charging ahead of the group and getting cut off, etc. And we all survived. The final encounter was nip and tuck, but I have seen much harder fights in my own games. A large percentage of games should be able to handle the adventure without having a TPK.

-Lisa

Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories, Pawns, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber

What is the game without a sincere fear of death?

Oh, can you please go ahead and send my copy now? :)

Sovereign Court

Lisa Stevens wrote:
vagrant-poet wrote:
GeraintElberion wrote:
I'm a huge fan of Paizo and I hope the launch of PFRPG will be a huge success (hence reading playtest reports on the internet) but I do think the experienced hands at Paizo occasionally need reminding that most of us are not as ace, experienced players as they are.
What? They played quite erratically and non-optimally, they actaully say so in the thread.

Absolutely. This module should be a challenge for 1st level characters but nowhere near as tough as some of the early adventures in our Adventure Paths. Our playtest group here at work didn't really care if we died, so we many times did things that weren't optimal, like charging across an almost assuredly trapped area, charging ahead of the group and getting cut off, etc. And we all survived. The final encounter was nip and tuck, but I have seen much harder fights in my own games. A large percentage of games should be able to handle the adventure without having a TPK.

-Lisa

I stand corrected, and relieved.

Contributor

GeraintElberion wrote:
Having read the playtest reports, both here and on SKR's blog, I am concerned that this introductory adventure will also be an introduction to TPK for a lot of novice players.

I don't recall talking about Crypt on my blog. Are you maybe thinking of Bastards of Erebus, which is an adventure I wrote, ran, and playtested, and had at least one session where the PCs had a hard time rolling above a 7?

Paizo Employee Franchise Manager

Sean K Reynolds wrote:
GeraintElberion wrote:
Having read the playtest reports, both here and on SKR's blog, I am concerned that this introductory adventure will also be an introduction to TPK for a lot of novice players.
I don't recall talking about Crypt on my blog. Are you maybe thinking of Bastards of Erebus, which is an adventure I wrote, ran, and playtested, and had at least one session where the PCs had a hard time rolling above a 7?

I know Jason made a few posts on his playtest for this on his livejournal that included more design analysis than the in-character journals did here on the boards.

That said, will we be seeing any blog previews of this in the next few weeks before it comes out? It's been a while since a product other then the core PRPG rulebooks was previewed in the blog and I'd love to get a sneak peak at what's in store with this adventure.


vagrant-poet wrote:
GeraintElberion wrote:
I'm a huge fan of Paizo and I hope the launch of PFRPG will be a huge success (hence reading playtest reports on the internet) but I do think the experienced hands at Paizo occasionally need reminding that most of us are not as ace, experienced players as they are.

What? They played quite erratically and non-optimally, they actaully say so in the thread. They were just having fun, the last battle was hard true, but it sounds like James frequently had the drop fall on him, which is a bad place for a rogue to be.

So without seeing the adventure its entirely bizarre to assume that it somehow definately requires 'ace, experienced players'. Do you not want your game designers to be familiar with the rules?

I reccomend you go read Jason Bulmahn's blog on LiveJournal, iuztheevil. It has some reports from his other playtest group. All totally new or almost new players, and they did WAY better than the staffers, who were just having fun.

Eh, I remember when 4E started up and my group tried it out by playing through the first 3 modules and part of the 4th. I would read about all these TPK's and near TPK's on the internet and my group only came close to one player dying, once.

We did plenty of stupid newbie stuff, like not fighting together, or not using our Healing Surges as soon as we should have, sometimes 2 rounds or more later, forgetting magic item abilities, potions we had, etc..

Plus we roll dice. A lot of people never take into account the effects of their dice rolls. If you miss 6 times in a row your going to have a bad day. Simple as that.

Sovereign Court

Understanding my errors is one of Yoda8myhead's many skills...

Contributor

yoda8myhead wrote:
That said, will we be seeing any blog previews of this in the next few weeks before it comes out? It's been a while since a product other then the core PRPG rulebooks was previewed in the blog and I'd love to get a sneak peak at what's in store with this adventure.

Yes, that is my agenda for the next two weeks, for I feel the same way you do.


So out of curiosity did they have starting characters in this who are actually those described in the adventure's beginning?

Starting heroes of said settlement undergoing a trial and discover matters have gotten out of hand!


Are the new Pathfinder RPG modules doing away with module-type labeling? I don't see any indication on the cover image that this is module B1 anymore.

Sovereign Court

Wolf Munroe wrote:
Are the new Pathfinder RPG modules doing away with module-type labeling? I don't see any indication on the cover image that this is module B1 anymore.

I remember Vic stating somewhere that they were dropping the labels.


GeraintElberion wrote:
Wolf Munroe wrote:
Are the new Pathfinder RPG modules doing away with module-type labeling? I don't see any indication on the cover image that this is module B1 anymore.
I remember Vic stating somewhere that they were dropping the labels.

I saw it after I posted. It's on the Carrion Hill thread.


Pathfinder Card Game, Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber

Just starting looking at the module and it is looking great!

Side note: There needs to be more bookmarks, organized around the chapters, etc. Without them it makes PDFs much more cumbersome. Maybe this was just an oversight.

Best.

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Elorebaen wrote:

Just starting looking at the module and it is looking great!

Side note: There needs to be more bookmarks, organized around the chapters, etc. Without them it makes PDFs much more cumbersome. Maybe this was just an oversight.

Best.

It was. We'll work on it and post a revision with more bookmarks soon.


Pathfinder Card Game, Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber
Vic Wertz wrote:
Elorebaen wrote:

Just starting looking at the module and it is looking great!

Side note: There needs to be more bookmarks, organized around the chapters, etc. Without them it makes PDFs much more cumbersome. Maybe this was just an oversight.

Best.

It was. We'll work on it and post a revision with more bookmarks soon.

Thanks! I figured as much.

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Elorebaen wrote:
Vic Wertz wrote:
Elorebaen wrote:

Just starting looking at the module and it is looking great!

Side note: There needs to be more bookmarks, organized around the chapters, etc. Without them it makes PDFs much more cumbersome. Maybe this was just an oversight.

Best.

It was. We'll work on it and post a revision with more bookmarks soon.
Thanks! I figured as much.

We have updated the PDF of Pathfinder Module: Crypt of the Everflame, adding more useful bookmarks. The editorial content has not changed.

Those of you who have access to it may download the updated version for free at http://paizo.com/paizo/account/assets. (If the file shows that it has already been personalized, you'll need to repersonalize it before you can download the new version.)


Hello all,

Just downloaded my copy of Everflame and looking forward to reading it.
I have way too many modules than my PCs will ever adventure in a life time,
including the full set from Paizo, but I just enjoy reading them.

Was wondering if any of you could recommend a great dungeon out of the
set to use for the 1st time as training fodder with the new Core Rulebook ???

Of course, introductory modules are great for new players,
but my guys are well versed in 3.5 rules already and I just
want them to playtest the new rules with throw away characters.

Any suggestions for a mid-level one shot dungeon that isn't
used in a series ?

Thanks much and keep up the great work Paizo !!!

Bollo the DM

Scarab Sages

Paizo Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Earlier in this thread, there was talk about this being Module B1 and we would find out later what the B stood for. When I looked at the PDF, there is no B1 on it and inside it say it is a Dungeon Adventure but there is no designation. So, what happened, and what is this?

PS. I liked dividing the modules into dungeon, journey, wilderness, etc.

Dark Archive

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber
Charles Scholz wrote:

Earlier in this thread, there was talk about this being Module B1 and we would find out later what the B stood for. When I looked at the PDF, there is no B1 on it and inside it say it is a Dungeon Adventure but there is no designation. So, what happened, and what is this?

PS. I liked dividing the modules into dungeon, journey, wilderness, etc.

People unfamiliar with the concept and tradition of the letter/number codes from the days of 1e and 2e got really turned off by them and worried about "Oh, this is J5 but I don't have J1-4, I shouldn't buy this 'cause I'll get lost."

I suppose the least awful option would be for the Paizonians to unofficially keep the codes in mind as an informal thing for the boards and those of us who care, but not on the modules themselves.


Pathfinder Card Game, Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber
Vic Wertz wrote:
Elorebaen wrote:
Vic Wertz wrote:
Elorebaen wrote:

Just starting looking at the module and it is looking great!

Side note: There needs to be more bookmarks, organized around the chapters, etc. Without them it makes PDFs much more cumbersome. Maybe this was just an oversight.

Best.

It was. We'll work on it and post a revision with more bookmarks soon.
Thanks! I figured as much.

We have updated the PDF of Pathfinder Module: Crypt of the Everflame, adding more useful bookmarks. The editorial content has not changed.

Those of you who have access to it may download the updated version for free at http://paizo.com/paizo/account/assets. (If the file shows that it has already been personalized, you'll need to repersonalize it before you can download the new version.)

Thank you Vic!!

Paizo Employee Chief Creative Officer, Publisher

Pretty sure the B was going to stand for Bulmahn.

But his ego can only take so much stroking these days, so we decided to ditch the confusing alpha-numeric codes.


Erik Mona wrote:

Pretty sure the B was going to stand for Bulmahn.

But his ego can only take so much stroking these days, so we decided to ditch the confusing alpha-numeric codes.

Once I figured out what they meant, I liked them.

Maybe just put them on the title page instead of the cover? Then you don't have to worry about them being confusing from a marketing standpoint because people don't see them unless they actually read the title page? It could just say something like "Module Identification: B1" (for example).

Just a thought.

Contributor

Because the codes really don't mean anything. If this adventure is a sequel to that adventure, the sequel should say "this is a sequel to that." If it's not a sequel, there's really no reason to tie this to that with a common letter code. And if the letter code actually refers to Jason's name, I think his actual name on the cover is clear enough... we don't need a B# up near the title to reinforce that the book is by Jason Bulmahn. ;)

Sovereign Court RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32, 2010 Top 8

I for one am going to miss the lables.

Dark Archive

Sean K Reynolds wrote:
Because the codes really don't mean anything. If this adventure is a sequel to that adventure, the sequel should say "this is a sequel to that." If it's not a sequel, there's really no reason to tie this to that with a common letter code. And if the letter code actually refers to Jason's name, I think his actual name on the cover is clear enough... we don't need a B# up near the title to reinforce that the book is by Jason Bulmahn. ;)

I don't know... SKR1 would kind of cool title, wouldn't it? ;)

Sovereign Court

I ABSOLUTELY CANNOT WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WAHOOOOOOO!


Wait a minute, wasn't there a code, Dungeon, Wilderness, Urban, etc? I can see the numbers being confusing, but the setting being signaled seemed helpful to me, rather than meaningless. Not that I'm trying to undo what has been done.


I think the setting could be better expressed by subtitles, for example "A Dungeon Crawl for Level 1" or "An Urban Adventure for Level 1". I agree that for a company that publishes adventure paths, sequential module codes for non-sequential adventures is pretty confusing. When I want to talk about an AD&D module, I usually remember the name and have trouble remembering the code, which becomes an annoyance looking it up if I want to mention it on the message boards. I'm not sure how often it helps recognition anyway.

EDIT: Ditching the codes also seems like a nice way to break conceptually from 3.5 to PF. Although I suppose if you have a stack of modules, an identifier on the corner might help you scan the edges looking for one without messing up your stack. Maybe a color-coded tag on the corner would still be helpful, with labels rather than codes: "Dungeon", "Urban", etc.


Mairkurion {tm} wrote:
Wait a minute, wasn't there a code, Dungeon, Wilderness, Urban, etc? I can see the numbers being confusing, but the setting being signaled seemed helpful to me, rather than meaningless. Not that I'm trying to undo what has been done.

There was..

I don't have an opinion myself on this, but in their defense, I do recall an awful lot of staff replies to questions "What does 'J' mean?" and so forth.

I can see it from both perspectives.

Plus I wonder if if the labels ever impacted sales or buying habits?


Yeah, my way of thinking is definitely in Minkscooter/Watcher territory. Numbers were just confusing, but some sort of setting indicator would be for quick reference would be great.

Liberty's Edge

This cover is flippin sweet too.


Sounds tempting.

Contributor

minkscooter wrote:
I think the setting could be better expressed by subtitles, for example "A Dungeon Crawl for Level 1" or "An Urban Adventure for Level 1".

Which is what we have been doing. :)

minkscooter wrote:
EDIT: Ditching the codes also seems like a nice way to break conceptually from 3.5 to PF.

Very observant. :)

Dark Archive

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber
Sean K Reynolds wrote:
minkscooter wrote:
EDIT: Ditching the codes also seems like a nice way to break conceptually from 3.5 to PF.
Very observant. :)

Yeah, but you're also breaking away from D&D's long, long heritage. A1-4, T1-4, GDQ1-7, these things mean something to a lot of old school gamers. Yes, it can confuse newbies, and so I can accept that they had to be done away with, but still. There was a purpose to them.

Contributor

Kvantum wrote:
Yeah, but you're also breaking away from D&D's long, long heritage. A1-4, T1-4, GDQ1-7, these things mean something to a lot of old school gamers. Yes, it can confuse newbies, and so I can accept that they had to be done away with, but still. There was a purpose to them.

And there were at least 4 people in the room (I'm one of them) who've been playing D&D since 1st edition or even earlier, and we felt that the letter codes on contemporary didn't mean much. If anything, calling a contemporary product D-something made me think of the old Drow series from TSR (which have nothing to do with contemporary D adventures), and the B series made me think of B1 In Search of the Unknown and B2 The Keep on the Borderlands (which have nothing to do with contemporary B adventures).

I understand nostalgia (again, I've been gaming since 1978 or so) but when the benefit of something is outweighed by its drawbacks....

Silver Crusade

Going to pick this up! Looks cool! My group is starting a new adventure and all low level characters. I'd like to try out modules. We mostly play homebrew campaigns, but I'd love to go this route and see how it turns out.

Sovereign Court

In one word:
FANTASTIC.

Highlights include:
>Quick, fast, easy to read, master, and run this module from minute one.

>Layout deserves a trophy! Open it up and it falls immediately open to the stapled middle, revealing the dungeon map and great artwork. Functionally, this module layed-out with the user in mind, for example: bold stat block headings, concise Pathfinder RPG defense, offense, statistics sections and clear treasure/development/hazzard/XP/CR ratings/creature #s in bold, making this product very easy on the eyes of young and old gamers alike. The inside covers along with all art throughout is simply the very best and delivers the emotional feel of the world's oldest roleplaying game.

>This is the first Pathfinder RPG adventure compatible with v.3.5 and it absolutely thrives at this. My entire collection is instantly compatible.

>Story selection including the adventure summary and introduction are written concisely and effectively for both novice GMs and expert GMs to grab and use, yet it possesses all the quality of depth we've come to expect from PAIZO over the years. As the first ever Pathfinder RPG module, Bulmahn delivers, and even more powerfully (if you can imagine) than he did with Hollow's Last Hope.

In sum, this review is one of the best rpg modules ever designed--an immediate classic belonging with the hallowed ones we revere and respect. Yet, everything I see is fresh, new, exciting, and immediately satisfying.

Crypt of the Everflame, right down to the font and color selection of its title, is everything you would want from the world's oldest roleplaying game, and delivers a completely new, incredibly smart, sophisticated, and lavishly produced rpg module experience.

WOW! 5-STARS! WAY TO GO, PAIZO!

Sovereign Court RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32, 2010 Top 8

I've just started looking at this but let me add to Pax's comments.

"rite of passage" module that really allows characters to mesh, "Make whatever you want, just remember you're all coming from city x."

The map I saw looks like it could be easily recreated with WotC's dungeon tiles (the only product I buy from them anymore) I assume it lends itself to some of the game mastery products as well.


Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Matthew Morris wrote:
The map I saw looks like it could be easily recreated with WotC's dungeon tiles (the only product I buy from them anymore) I assume it lends itself to some of the game mastery products as well.

Actually it lends itself very well to the new Flip-Mat "Dungeon" :)

Liberty's Edge

Excellent beginner module. Good story, crafty old-school dungeon, etc. The layout is indeed something to behold, very easy on the eyes. Minor improvements in the stat blocks are all for the better. Love the tie-in with the flip mat. And yes, anyone doubting full compatibility with 3.5 need look no further than this module as proof that Pathfinder delivers.


Is that a Castlevania reference on p16? Or a reference to source material that Caslevania ripped off prior to the 80s?

In any case, I very much approve :).

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Kvantum wrote:
Yeah, but you're also breaking away from D&D's long, long heritage. A1-4, T1-4, GDQ1-7, these things mean something to a lot of old school gamers. Yes, it can confuse newbies, and so I can accept that they had to be done away with, but still. There was a purpose to them.

It wasn't the newbies that were confused—it was the old-school gamers, and for good reason.

As you point out, those codes already had a meaning to part of audience—but not the same meaning that we were trying to communicate. To old-school gamers, the codes suggested that D2 would be a sequel to D1, and that wasn't the case—they were just both mostly set in dungeons. Meanwhile, a sequel to D1 could be found in the "E" line, and the old-school folks weren't expecting that.

Dark Archive

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber
Vic Wertz wrote:
Kvantum wrote:
Yeah, but you're also breaking away from D&D's long, long heritage. A1-4, T1-4, GDQ1-7, these things mean something to a lot of old school gamers. Yes, it can confuse newbies, and so I can accept that they had to be done away with, but still. There was a purpose to them.

It wasn't the newbies that were confused—it was the old-school gamers, and for good reason.

As you point out, those codes already had a meaning to part of audience—but not the same meaning that we were trying to communicate. To old-school gamers, the codes suggested that D2 would be a sequel to D1, and that wasn't the case—they were just both mostly set in dungeons. Meanwhile, a sequel to D1 could be found in the "E" line, and the old-school folks weren't expecting that.

Well, I stand corrected, then. Thanks for the info.

Liberty's Edge

I want the codes back :(

I think 20-30 years from now they'll mean something heartwarming to all of us playing them now, even if they do seem silly to put on in this 'contemporary' age.

Just put a little chart on the credits page (where it says the levels and stuff for the adventure) or even better set up a little chart with the module type, level range, and maybe even content warnings on the back cover!


Coridan wrote:
Just put a little chart on the credits page (where it says the levels and stuff for the adventure) or even better set up a little chart with the module type, level range, and maybe even content warnings on the back cover!

Is one of the content warnings "may contain content from Nicolas Logue" or is that too vague?

Dark Archive

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber
Wolf Munroe wrote:
Is one of the content warnings "may contain content from Nicolas Logue" or is that too vague?

Who actually needs a warning label for that? The evil radiating from the book is warning enough to most people.

51 to 100 of 164 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / Pathfinder Module: Crypt of the Everflame (PFRPG) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.