Pathfinder Adventure Path #21: "The Jackal's Price" (Legacy of Fire 3 of 6) (OGL)

****( ) (based on 5 ratings)
Pathfinder Adventure Path #21:
Show Description For:
Non-Mint

Add Print Edition $19.99 $5.00

Add PDF $13.99

Non-Mint Unavailable

Facebook Twitter Email

Chapter 3: "The Jackal's Price"
by Darrin Drader

The savage Carrion King is dead, and in his treasure the heroes recover a mysterious magical map. Rumored to be a portal to several islands of paradise, the heroes must travel across the country to the distant city of Katapesh to seek aid in unraveling the map’s powerful magic and perhaps to find a buyer for the precious item. Unfortunately, the heroes aren’t the only ones with an interest in the map, and before long they’ll be thrown up against a mysterious group of violent genies and one of Katapesh’s most notorious crimelords—a shapeshifting cult leader known only as Father Jackal.

This volume of Pathfinder also includes an in-depth exploration of the world’s genies, reveals many secrets of the world’s second-largest city, and features a bonus adventure set at a remote desert oasis. Also included are several new monsters and the third part of New York Times best-selling author Elaine Cunningham’s Pathfinder Journal.

For characters of 7th to 9th level.

Pathfinder Adventure Path is Paizo Publishing's monthly 96-page, perfect-bound, full-color softcover book printed on high-quality paper. It contains an in-depth Adventure Path scenario, stats for about a half-dozen new monsters, and several support articles meant to give Game Masters additional material to expand their campaign. Because Pathfinder uses the Open Game License, it is 100% compatible with the 3.5 edition of the world's most popular fantasy roleplaying game.

ISBN–13: 978-1-60125-161-9

Note: This product is part of the Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscription.

Product Availability

Print Edition:

Available now

Ships from our warehouse in 1 to 5 business days.

PDF:

Fulfilled immediately.

Non-Mint:

Unavailable

This product is non-mint. Refunds are not available for non-mint products. The standard version of this product can be found here.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZO9021


See Also:

Average product rating:

****( ) (based on 5 ratings)

Sign in to create or edit a product review.

Review in portuguese(Br)

****( )

Apesar de ser uma aventura que supõe ações dos personagens jogadores para poder funcionar, e ser uma sequencia de eventos pouco relacionados a trama, ela ainda assim é uma aventura divertida e que pode funcionar bem em inúmeras situações. Os problemas da trama podem ser facilmente sanados com algumas modificações simples, e os artigos adicionais são muito bem escritos e uteis. É uma boa compra tanto isolada quanto dentro do conjunto.


Not for a Novice GM to run

*****

And that's a good thing. This AP, especially with its support article to flesh out the Katapesh markets, runs really fantastically. It does take a GM that knows what he/she is doing, though. A GM who isn't comfortable with urban adventures might make this AP a bit dry, but I felt it was a great opportunity to really develop some NPCs. The lack of shopping the PCs encounter during the first two issues really pays off as during their shopping a GM can insert the needed flavor and the NPC hooks that are the meat of this adventure at the same time.

Well done. But a GM really needs to know his NPCs in this chapter before running it.


Not quite what my players were expecting

***( )( )

Three stars, not perfect, but pretty good. It dropped a star on the player side because the party had been getting big "desert wastes" vibe from the campaign, and the switch to a city and diplomacy based scenario didn't fit with the playing style so far. I knocked off another star for the GM perspective, because if the players blow off the intrigue, and negotiations in Katapesh, there really isn't much substance here until the raid on the "one source".

I liked it however, worth playing, just not as good as the previous two, nor as good as the follow on (End of Eternity)


Review of primary adventure

***( )( )

Just read the main adventure and, while some of the ideas are very promising, the adventure itself is full of problems. It would have been a good idea for adventure editor to read it, ask several questions and force adventure's author to ponder them.

If your players tend to ask questions, GMs should be ready to provide their own explanations, since those found in the adventure are seriously lacking.

Regards,
Ruemere


"Jackal's Price" Is Worth the Price

****( )

I like this entery in the LoF Adventure Path. The DM needs to be careful to foreshadow how some of the NPCs connect to the Big Bad Guy, and also drop hints about the captain who made a deal with BBG, or else I could see the capt. coming out of nowhere as a "deus ex machina." I especially liked reading Clinton Boomer's set piece; it had a cool, classical feel to it.


Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

"By James Jacobs?"

Paizo Employee Franchise Manager

Callous Jack wrote:
"By James Jacobs?"

What? Can't James write an adventure or two? or three? or by the time this is done, four?

Dark Archive

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Quoting Vic Wertz over in this thread

Vic Wertz wrote:
And in April, we've got "The Jackal's Price," which probably won't really be by James Jacobs, but we needed a name to put on the cover, and he was standing there.

Paizo Employee Franchise Manager

Kvantum wrote:

Quoting Vic Wertz over in this thread

Vic Wertz wrote:
And in April, we've got "The Jackal's Price," which probably won't really be by James Jacobs, but we needed a name to put on the cover, and he was standing there.

Ah. This actually sounds like the perfect adventure for Michael Kortes. HoA and J1 were both great, and this sounds like it's in a similar vein, with a journey and rival party (of genies no less!)

Liberty's Edge

I'm sad that the Carrion King is dead. He sounds cool.

Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Kvantum wrote:

Quoting Vic Wertz over in this thread

Vic Wertz wrote:
And in April, we've got "The Jackal's Price," which probably won't really be by James Jacobs, but we needed a name to put on the cover, and he was standing there.

Ah, I thought he'd gone mad for a moment.

Grand Lodge

Heathansson wrote:
I'm sad that the Carrion King is dead. He sounds cool.

Any relation to the Burger King?

Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Modules Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber
Heathansson wrote:
I'm sad that the Carrion King is dead. He sounds cool.

Okay, when you DM the Carrion King survives - but only when you DM, all other games must follow the AP to the letter!


Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Legends Subscriber; Pathfinder Tales Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Vattnisse wrote:
Heathansson wrote:
I'm sad that the Carrion King is dead. He sounds cool.
Any relation to the Burger King?

Yeah the Carrion King is what the Burger King turns into if you leave him lying out in the sun too long.

Scarab Sages RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

Heathansson wrote:
I'm sad that the Carrion King is dead. He sounds cool.

But with a name like "Carrion" King there's always the chance he'll be back as a Dread Wight... no wait that's been done already. ;)


Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Legends Subscriber; Pathfinder Tales Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Carry on, King!


Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion Subscriber
Heathansson wrote:
I'm sad that the Carrion King is dead. He sounds cool.

Bring him back as an undead critter. That's always fun.

The Exchange

I really can't understand this AP. It don't seem to have a single narrative, and I can't understand the PC's motivation to contoniue playing it. whey would they want to risk themselves to sell a map?


Lord Snow wrote:
I really can't understand this AP. It don't seem to have a single narrative, and I can't understand the PC's motivation to contoniue playing it. whey would they want to risk themselves to sell a map?

Um... Islands of paradise? Powerful magic? Lot's of gold pieces? Why wouldn't they? Maybe my players differ from yours a LOT...

Dark Archive

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Modules, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Society Roleplaying Guild Subscriber
Lord Snow wrote:
I really can't understand this AP. It don't seem to have a single narrative, and I can't understand the PC's motivation to contoniue playing it. whey would they want to risk themselves to sell a map?

You base your doubts on the small blurb they've posted on the product page? You do realize they're teasers, right? I'm sure Paizo will show the way in the final product. They haven't failed us so far.


Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Legends Subscriber; Pathfinder Tales Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Ravenmantle wrote:
Lord Snow wrote:
I really can't understand this AP. It don't seem to have a single narrative, and I can't understand the PC's motivation to contoniue playing it. whey would they want to risk themselves to sell a map?
You base your doubts on the small blurb they've posted on the product page? You do realize they're teasers, right? I'm sure Paizo will show the way in the final product. They haven't failed us so far.

You should also realize that these adventures have yet to be written...

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

Heathansson wrote:
I'm sad that the Carrion King is dead. He sounds cool.

Remember, in a magic rich setting like Golarion, death need not be the end of him.


Odd question, but who the heck is that girl on the cover? She looks familiar from some Paizo product or other.

Contributor

Eric Hinkle wrote:
Odd question, but who the heck is that girl on the cover? She looks familiar from some Paizo product or other.

Spoiler:
The mockup cover girl is from Flight of the Red Raven.

Thanks for the info.

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Updated to reveal that this will be written by Darrin Drader.

Liberty's Edge

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber
Vic Wertz wrote:
Updated to reveal that this will be written by Darrin Drader.

I am looking forward to seeing Darrin's work. Any idea on when the cover will be updated?

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Mr Baron wrote:
Vic Wertz wrote:
Updated to reveal that this will be written by Darrin Drader.
I am looking forward to seeing Darrin's work. Any idea on when the cover will be updated?

Probably mid-February or so.

Liberty's Edge

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber

any update on the actual cover?


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Modules, Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Wow, is that lady going to fight that glabrezu using a board with nails in it? She must be pretty bad ass...

The Exchange

Jam412 wrote:
Wow, is that lady going to fight that glabrezu using a board with nails in it? She must be pretty bad ass...

that girl is not actually going to be in the AP- take a closer look at her. furry boots, heavy cloak, all covered in warm cloths... she belםngs to the icy prison in flight of the Red Raven, and certainly not in Katepash. it's still a mock up cover.

BTW, is there a more recent estimate about the actual time when the real cover will come up? February is long past...

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Lord Snow wrote:
Jam412 wrote:
Wow, is that lady going to fight that glabrezu using a board with nails in it? She must be pretty bad ass...

that girl is not actually going to be in the AP- take a closer look at her. furry boots, heavy cloak, all covered in warm cloths... she belםngs to the icy prison in flight of the Red Raven, and certainly not in Katepash. it's still a mock up cover.

BTW, is there a more recent estimate about the actual time when the real cover will come up? February is long past...

The real cover should be up sometime today.

Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Hey, it's up!

The Exchange

as always, it's a really cool cover. I really liked the camel appearing there. That nearly naked girl riding on it reminds me of a really funny joke from Terry Pritchett's' "moving picture".
BTW, the jinni looks weird- one of his arms is less muscular than the other.

The Exchange RPG Superstar 2009 Top 4

Great picture. I really like this artist's style on all her pictures. I can't wait to see the next three.

Scarab Sages RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

Lord Snow wrote:
I really liked the camel appearing there. That nearly naked girl riding on it reminds me of a really funny joke from Terry Pratchett's "moving picture".

That nearly naked girl is Seoni, the Iconic Sorcerer!

Lord Snow wrote:
BTW, the jinni looks weird- one of his arms is less muscular than the other.

If you are referring to the arm on our right holding the sword (his left arm) then it is in proportion, the bulk of his lower arm is hidden behind the sword. You can't see it in the thumbnail, but when you look more closely in the enlarged version you can tell.

Cheers

The Exchange

Lord Snow wrote:

as always, it's a really cool cover. I really liked the camel appearing there. That nearly naked girl riding on it reminds me of a really funny joke from Terry Pritchett's' "moving picture".

BTW, the jinni looks weird- one of his arms is less muscular than the other.

Don't you mean Terry Pratchett's Pyramids? Of course, there was a spoof of Rudolph Valentino as "The Shiek" in Moving Pictures, and I seem to remember a camel in that novel also...and Pratchett is known to recycle his jokes.

Also, that is one genie whose lamp I most definitely DO NOT want to rub!


Is this scheduled to ship next week or later in the month?

The addiction must be fed.

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Gray wrote:

Is this scheduled to ship next week or later in the month?

The addiction must be fed.

Next week.


Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Deluxe Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Legends Subscriber; Pathfinder Tales Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Already? Wow.

Liberty's Edge

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber
Vic Wertz wrote:
Gray wrote:

Is this scheduled to ship next week or later in the month?

The addiction must be fed.

Next week.

most excellent!

RPG Superstar 2011 Top 32

Gleee! PDF is downloaded and much goodness is found therein. Now to just wait (very impatiently) for the hard copy to arrive in my mailbox, and get to it before the husband tries to hold it for ransom (again!) ;)


Gamer Girrl wrote:
Gleee! PDF is downloaded and much goodness is found therein. Now to just wait (very impatiently) for the hard copy to arrive in my mailbox, and get to it before the husband tries to hold it for ransom (again!) ;)

Aw, I'm still waiting. Now that I know the PDFs are coming out, I'll be pulling my hair until mine's ready to go; hopefully I won't need a hairpiece before I get to download the thing.

Silver Crusade

Got my Pdf very happy.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

Any word on what happened to two of our templars that seemed like they were going to be in this one? I think it was Davashuum and Pazhvann, I was looking forward to seeing more of these templars. Oh well hopefully we'll see these guys later on!


Just had time to look this over (arrived earlier today). Way to go Darrin, great work.

Spoiler:
Love the old school Caravan escort gigs, the desert backdrop is a plus. The second part of the adventure in Katapesh with all the RP opportunities before the One Source rounds out a well balanced adventure. Heavy on RP as well as the hack and slash elements

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Robert Jordan wrote:
Any word on what happened to two of our templars that seemed like they were going to be in this one? I think it was Davashuum and Pazhvann, I was looking forward to seeing more of these templars. Oh well hopefully we'll see these guys later on!

Their story continues in Pathfinder 24, in the last adventure in Legacy of Fire. Originally, their story was going to sort of climax in this adventure, but there really wasn't room to do it justice in "The Jackal's Price."

For a quick preview for the fates of these last two Templars...

Spoiler:
Davashuum turns traitor, murders Pazhvann, and goes to work for Jhavhul, forcing their one-time leader Nefeshti to turn to the PCs for aid. Expect a LOT of wishes to fly around in this last Legacy of Fire adventure!!


... <tapping foot nervously, as my copy has not arrived yet>


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Companion, Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

Thanks James Jacobs! That gives me a lot to look forward to since I'm starting this adventure path for my group this week, at least I know they'll get to see what happens with all of the Templars.


Sigh...it's been over two weeks since it shipped and I still have not received it. Sure I have the PDF, but nothing beats the smell of a new book.


how much of the katapesh article is in the Chronicles book on Katapesh?

The Exchange

MerrikCale wrote:
how much of the katapesh article is in the Chronicles book on Katapesh?

I have both "The Jackal's Price" and "Dark Markets," and I can say with certainty that there is no reproduced content from the AP in the Chronicle book. This is good in that there is new and more content to use from each product, but...This actually makes it a bit more difficult to fit the article from the AP onto the Chronicle map of Kataphesh without a bit of guesswork. Where is the "Great Plaza"? Who knows! On the plus side, it does capture the chaos of the place, and makes it easier if you want to tailor locations. :)


Zeugma wrote:
MerrikCale wrote:
how much of the katapesh article is in the Chronicles book on Katapesh?
I have both "The Jackal's Price" and "Dark Markets," and I can say with certainty that there is no reproduced content from the AP in the Chronicle book. This is good in that there is new and more content to use from each product, but...This actually makes it a bit more difficult to fit the article from the AP onto the Chronicle map of Kataphesh without a bit of guesswork. Where is the "Great Plaza"? Who knows! On the plus side, it does capture the chaos of the place, and makes it easier if you want to tailor locations. :)

OK.

Thanks for the help


hi, i got a problem with : "Pactmaster's favor" own by garavel(in his equipement), it's said in Pathfinder - legacy of fire III - "The jackal's price" that i've to see in Pathfinder Chronicle : "Dark market to Katapesh", but i didn't where it is, so if someone could give me the page or what is it, it will good, in fact i just need to know what it do exactly, i don't know if it's useful or not. So thanks a lot for your answer.

Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / Pathfinder Adventure Path #21: "The Jackal's Price" (Legacy of Fire 3 of 6) (OGL) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.