Dungeon Crawl Classics #51: Castle Whiterock (OGL) PDF

5.00/5 (based on 1 rating)

Our Price: $59.99

Add to Cart
Facebook Twitter Email

An adventure that takes characters from level 1 to 15!

As the flame of my second life sputters and dims, I find myself thinking more and more on those heroes who, though we first met as enemies, granted me another opportunity to sip from life's cup. Great were their deeds and deep their wisdom, yet the tale of their adventures in Castle Whiterock has not been told: the helpless lives they saved and the wicked lives they ended, the diabolic ingenuity of their adversaries, the desperate moments when hope was faint, and their final victory over the terrible dragon Benthosruthsa.
If I am granted sufficient time, I will see this amended. The world will know of the champions of Castle Whiterock.

    —Koborth the Risen, General (retired)

Castle Whiterock is a complete campaign. This box holds more than 700 pages of material, enough to take new characters to 15th level and fuel a campaign for years. It contains:

  • Four books detailing the dungeon's 15 levels and 14 sub-levels, grouped according to level. Every map location is fully described with stats included.
  • A 56-page gazetteer of the Kingdom of Morrain, including the town of Cillamar.
  • A 48-page book of maps.
  • A 32-page book of player handouts.
  • A poster map showing Cillamar on one side and the final two levels of the dungeon on the reverse.
  • Six loose-leaf character sheets of the pregenerated heroes, ready to play out of the box, plus one blank character sheet to copy for later use.
  • A 16-page index and glossary.

Writers: Chris Doyle and Adrian Pommier
Additional Writing: Harley Stroh and Jeff LaSala
Editors: Ken Hart, Aeryn Rudel
Developer: Harley Stroh
Cartographer: Jeremy Simmons
Cover Artist: William McAusland
761-page boxed set

Product Availability

Fulfilled immediately.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

GMG5050E


See Also:

Average product rating:

5.00/5 (based on 1 rating)

Sign in to create or edit a product review.



Castle Whiterock: Grade A

5/5

I've purchased two other Dungeon Crawl Classics and each time was happy with the products, but not overly impressed. Castle Whiterock impressed me.

The first thing I noticed about Castle Whiterock is the box is heavy! Once I opened the box and looked through the material I was pleasantly surprised at the historical detail and ties to so many possible adventure hooks and story lines - both involved in the main dungeon adventure and outside of it. This isn't just a big adventure, it's a complete campaign just as described in the product write up. Even the gazetteer is amazing with some great write ups of the major NPCs of the small Kingdom of Morrain.

The dungeon itself is a good solid crawl, but the best part of this product is the support material which allows you to take your characters off the dungeon path for city or wilderness adventure side treks to give them a change of pace once in awhile.


51 to 82 of 82 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Liberty's Edge

Slatz Grubnik wrote:
Being a DCC newbie, what can i expect from this line of products?

To be frank: old school brutality.

As a rule, these modules are fairly difficult compared to stuff put out by WotC (as a rule). For example, in one of the modules the first hostile encounter (this is a 1st level module) is with an ogre.

Also, unlike most modules out now there is very little in the way of NPC interaction (though I suspect that this module will be different). They're mainly hack and slash modules, but if you don't mind putting a bit of work forward they can easily have plenty of RP material added. As a rule the modules are only about 30 pages long (this one is an obvious exception, of course) and typically detail all the information that you'll need to run the module all the way through (I recommend a read-through before hand, of course).

Still, I really enjoy them and my players seem to as well. I recommend them heartily (especially with how cheap they're going).


Gene wrote:
Slatz Grubnik wrote:
Being a DCC newbie, what can i expect from this line of products?

To be frank: old school brutality.

As a rule, these modules are fairly difficult compared to stuff put out by WotC (as a rule). For example, in one of the modules the first hostile encounter (this is a 1st level module) is with an ogre.

Also, unlike most modules out now there is very little in the way of NPC interaction (though I suspect that this module will be different). They're mainly hack and slash modules, but if you don't mind putting a bit of work forward they can easily have plenty of RP material added. As a rule the modules are only about 30 pages long (this one is an obvious exception, of course) and typically detail all the information that you'll need to run the module all the way through (I recommend a read-through before hand, of course).

Still, I really enjoy them and my players seem to as well. I recommend them heartily (especially with how cheap they're going).

~puts your gag back on~ NO TALKING!!! ~shakes my head sadly~


~sighs~ Well, I was thinking of running Castle Whiterock as a PBP. Anyone interested?

The Exchange RPG Superstar 2010 Top 16

Sure. I own the big thing, but I haven't read through it yet.

What system?


Chris Mortika wrote:

Sure. I own the big thing, but I haven't read through it yet.

What system?

Either 3.5 core or the PF Beta. I will think on it tonight. And order the PDF so I can start to look through it.


Go here for more info.


Arr! I missed it. Is it returning, or gone gone gone?


Kevin Reynolds wrote:
Arr! I missed it. Is it returning, or gone gone gone?

I don't know. The PDF is well worth getting, btw! I have enjoyed the read.

P.S. - All of the Goodman Games DCCs will be removed come January 1st, so get them while you can.

Paizo Employee CEO

Joseph Goodman told me that he sent a shipment of Castle Whiterock to Paizo about two weeks ago, but since I haven't been able to leave my house because of the snow for almost 10 days now, I haven't the foggiest clue whether they have arrived or not. They are probably just sitting there waiting for me to deal with them. But the short answer is, yes, we should be getting more copies in soon.

-Lisa

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Sharoth wrote:
P.S. - All of the Goodman Games DCCs will be removed come January 1st, so get them while you can.

To be clear, only the PDFs are going away January 1. The print editions will continue to be available for sale here as long as either we our our distributor have copies left to sell.

Paizo Employee CEO

Just to let everyone know that we got in some more copies of Castle Whiterock. It is now available for sale again!

-Lisa


And as far as I can tell, it is worth the money spent. But my opinion is that if you can, also pick up the PDF as well.


This thing is awesome and well worth the money. :)

Scarab Sages

I am cleaning up on DCC items and have to say that this item and the Gazzette are awesome. I was lucky (or not) to get a hardcopy of both.

The Exchange

What the heck is a stenchpot?

The Exchange RPG Superstar 2010 Top 16

A stenchpot is a grenade-like object. Why do you ask?

Grand Lodge

Is the current price for this item really $59.99 for a PDF? I wouldn't mind paying that much for the box set.


AlanRex wrote:
Is the current price for this item really $59.99 for a PDF? I wouldn't mind paying that much for the box set.

I agree that it's overpriced, but note that on a cents-per-page basis, that's cheaper than one of Paizo's adventure path PDFs.

EDIT: About half the price, if I'm calculating correctly.


As I recall, the original retail for the box was around $150 so a $60 pdf sounds about right. There are many mistakes in the module though. Mainly in that many of the room descriptions don't jive up with the actual map; at least that's how the boxed set that I have is.

SJ


It still is one of the best boxed sets ever made. I was lucky to snag a hardcopy by chance a few years back from Joe Goodman himself. I emailed him and asked if he should ever find a copy lying around the warehouse to please contact me. It just so happened that he had one that they recently found in the warehouse. One of my prized RPG possessions.

My only gripe is that I never had the chance to play or GM it.

Grand Lodge

yea that stinks that you never got to play it.

Shadow Lodge

Nice thread necromancy, Alan. Might wanna check the date of the last post before you reply to it. If it's 18 months old, generally not a great idea to reply.

Grand Lodge

Has anyone played this using Pathfinder? I'd have more chance of persuading my group to do it if they could stay with PF.

The Exchange

I started in a Play-by-Post of Castle Whiterock here on Paizo.com and it was early-days Pathfinder rules, but that game petered out quickly and we barely got into the castle, so I don't know how much fun it would have been.


Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Rapscallion58 wrote:
Has anyone played this using Pathfinder? I'd have more chance of persuading my group to do it if they could stay with PF.

I did a bunch of stuff with Castle Whiterock for 3.5, and like anything 3.5 product, there's no reason it couldn't be run with Pathfinder (just the usual fixes to CMB/CMD, etc.).


I played in a group working through this. We were using Pathfinder characters (Core only - this was years ago when Pf was relatively new) and the GM was not scaling anything in the dungeon up to account for the Pf characters being more powerful than same-level 3.5 characters. And there were six of us, sometimes seven. And we barely survived most of the time.

So will it work with Pathfinder? Yes. Will it be easy? No.


I'm assuming this is a 3.5 module and not for the DCC RPG, correct?

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure, Lost Omens, Pawns, Rulebook Subscriber

That's correct.


Thanks TOZ.

Kind of a shame actually, I've really gotten into the DCC RPG lately, we had a blast with the character funnel especially, I would definitely have picked this up had it been for their system (plus I am a sucker for box sets, as my 2E AD&D collection attests). Perhaps they will do a Kickstarter to update this at some point.


Zeugma wrote:
I started in a Play-by-Post of Castle Whiterock here on Paizo.com and it was early-days Pathfinder rules, but that game petered out quickly and we barely got into the castle, so I don't know how much fun it would have been.

You got farther than I did, sister!

The Exchange

Now now Gregor, that joke doesn't work. You know you're not in that story.


[sulks in his room]

51 to 82 of 82 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / Dungeon Crawl Classics #51: Castle Whiterock (OGL) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.