Pathfinder Adventure Path #1: Burnt Offerings (Rise of the Runelords 1 of 6) (OGL)

4.40/5 (based on 76 ratings)
Pathfinder Adventure Path #1: Burnt Offerings (Rise of the Runelords 1 of 6) (OGL)
Show Description For:
Non-Mint

Add PDF $13.99

Print Edition Out of print

Non-Mint Out of print

Facebook Twitter Email

We Be Goblins—You Be Food!

The Rise of the Runelords Adventure Path begins here, in the small coastal town of Sandpoint. Five years after a tragic fire and spate of brutal murders, the people of Sandpoint eagerly anticipate the Swallowtail Festival to commemorate the consecration of the town's new temple. At the height of the ceremony, disaster strikes!

In the days that follow, a sinister shadow settles over Sandpoint. Rumors of goblin armies and wrathful monsters in forgotten ruins have set the populace on edge. As Sandpoint's newest heroes, the PCs must deal with treachery, goblins, and the rising threat of a forgotten empire whose cruel and despotic rulers might not be as dead as history records.

This volume of Pathfinder Adventure Path launches the Rise of the Runelords Adventure Path and includes:

  • "Burnt Offerings," and adventure for 1st-level characters by James Jacobs.
  • An exploration of your PCs' new hometown of Sandpoint, by James Jacobs.
  • A history of the ancient empire of Thassilon, by Wolfgang Baur.
  • The first installment of the Pathfinder's Journal, by Erik Mona.
  • Six new monsters by James Jacobs, Richard Pett, and F. Wesley Schneider.

ISBN-13: 978-1-60125-035-3

Note: This product is part of the Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscription.

Product Availability

PDF:

Fulfilled immediately.

Print Edition:

Out of print

This product is out of print.

Non-Mint:

Out of print

This product is out of print. This product is non-mint. Refunds are not available for non-mint products.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZO9001


See Also:

41 to 45 of 76 << first < prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | next > last >>

Average product rating:

4.40/5 (based on 76 ratings)

Sign in to create or edit a product review.

Great Start

4/5

Production: 4/5 - physical product is awesome with heavy weight and glossy pages giving excellent durability. Maps are excellent, however art is <b>very</b> hit or miss though, which the publisher acknowledges and will be working to correct over the next several issues. The font size is also slightly small, which allows for the quantity of content in the 96-page format, but makes reading the journal a more focused activity than I'm normally used to with adventure products. PDF is very usable and allows for copy/paste for DM to create handouts/displays.

Mechanics: 4/5 - minor stat-block bugs are discussed in Paizo forums. Some encounters likely too tough for traditional 4-person group, especially with novice players. Pregenerated PCs seem to lack sufficient skills to approach the adventure in straight-forward fashion (e.g. lacking many knowledge skills that would help novice players). Overall though, the mechanics seem balanced and there are few mechanical errors in stat-blocks that will impact game flow.

Content: 5/5 - Adventure is wonderfully grim and tough, while still being approachable to a novice group of players. Adventure flows fairly easily from scene to scene. Sandpoint backdrop is excellent, providing excellent resource for long-term utility, and the adventure supports getting players involved in the community. OGL monsters are outstanding, even if some are not used in this adventures (Bone Whisperer is my favorite). Notes on the fallen Thassilon Empire and Pathfinder Journal are both great flavor. One issue is a suggestion to DM to splice this adventure with the next (PF #2) to handle a potential "too much experience"; the specific mechanism would seem to be difficult to implement in play.

Value: 4/5 - Total value is excellent with free PDF via subscription. Overall this is in upper 30% of gaming products I own.


good

4/5

hello nice job from the guys

you create good adventure

one negative point not enought photo of npc and only 6 design of deities symbol

and where we can ask question for you

thanks and regard


Reviewed after running it to completion

4/5

The short answer- I loved this adventure. I got my money's worth. I recommend it to others.

A little more detail? An excellent start to a beginning campaign with an engaging new setting, the world of Golarion.. revealed a little at a time. For new and experienced GMs, this is a great starting point.

Comments: Many have complained about the font size, I disagree. The art is a little rough at times, but I don't mark it down for that. With the transition from a more active partnership with WOTC, and the fact I've seen the next five chapters- the art improves.

Here's the one thing I would see done differently.

Spoiler:
In the end, the PC's never come into direct contact with the main villain's interesting and tragic background. They get the "big picture" after defeating her and reading her diary. That was a little bit of an anticlimax in actual play. Background written just for the GM to have a personal insight or rationale is nice, but it doesn't help the players. Ultimately their needs to be met as much as the GMs.

Don't let that one niggle convince you not to buy this though. Otherwise this is a great adventure with an engaging story. I heartily recommend this adventure. It's a winner.


Well done Paizo!

5/5

I finally played this first offering if Rise of the Runelords, and it's great. Paizo has made a product that really works well at the table. This is the best interpretation of goblins that I've seen as well.


Great start for a new group...

5/5

I have long purchased a wide range of 3.0/3.5 products from a number of 3rd party publishers and I must say that this is by far the best module I have read. I am currently running a small 4-man group through this module and they are loving every minute of it. With 2 of the members being brand new to role playing games this AP is going to serve as a great way to introduce them to the hobby.

Paizo, you guys have made me a believer.


41 to 45 of 76 << first < prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | next > last >>
201 to 220 of 220 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
brock wrote:
The price jumps steeply if the copies of Burn Offerings are described as 'new' or 'mint, includes pull-out map'.

I understand people willing to pay more for a "new" copy, but what's "mint, includes pull-out map"? There was no pull-out map in Burnt Offerings.

brock wrote:
I'm looking at about £200 to get #1,3,5 second-hand in good condition and shipped to the UK. I think I'm just going to print from my PDF copies and buy a thermal binding machine.

Which is sad and makes me wonder how hard people are really looking for copies of Burnt Offerings. I had a new ("new" being really absolutely perfect) copy on sale two weeks ago on eBay France for 29 euros (+ 6-8 euros for worldwide shipping), and I got exactly zero bids, and zero people following the sale.

It was just a matter of checking the "Worldwide" checkbox on eBay UK or eBay US to see it appear there.

I'm wondering now if it's worth the hassle of listing it directly on eBay UK (which would allow me to cross list it on eBay US) or if people in truth are not interested enough.

The Exchange

Fayries wrote:
brock wrote:
The price jumps steeply if the copies of Burn Offerings are described as 'new' or 'mint, includes pull-out map'.

I understand people willing to pay more for a "new" copy, but what's "mint, includes pull-out map"? There was no pull-out map in Burnt Offerings.

Thanks for that - then there is a listing on abebooks.co.uk where someone is trying to inflate the price by claiming that there is.


Bookseller: Sci Fi, etc.
(Knoxville, TN, U.S.A.)
Book Description: Paizo Publishing, 2007. Trade Paperback. Book Condition: Near Fine. No Stated Edition. Used. Cover shows light shelf and edge wear. Pullout map is included. No highlighting, underlining or any other marks. Bookseller Inventory # 43995

Fayries wrote:


brock wrote:
I'm looking at about £200 to get #1,3,5 second-hand in good condition and shipped to the UK. I think I'm just going to print from my PDF copies and buy a thermal binding machine.

Which is sad and makes me wonder how hard people are really looking for copies of Burnt Offerings. I had a new ("new" being really absolutely perfect) copy on sale two weeks ago on eBay France for 29 euros (+ 6-8 euros for worldwide shipping), and I got exactly zero bids, and zero people following the sale.

It was just a matter of checking the "Worldwide" checkbox on eBay UK or eBay US to see it appear there.

Mail me, if you still want to sell that. Address is on profile. I've had a saved search on Ebay for a while which occasionally lists auctions in the USA but didn't notify me of yours. I'll investigate.


Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

What pull-out map?


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
brock wrote:
Fayries wrote:
There was no pull-out map in Burnt Offerings.

Thanks for that - then there is a listing on abebooks.co.uk where someone is trying to inflate the price by claiming that there is.

The only thing that could qualify as "pull-out maps" would be the Pathfinder Chronicles: Rise of the Runelords Map Folio, but that's a separate product.

brock wrote:
Mail me, if you still want to sell that. Address is on profile. I've had a saved search on Ebay for a while which occasionally lists auctions in the USA but didn't notify me of yours. I'll investigate.

Mail has been sent.

Edit: Or not… Since I got an "Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender" notice, I guess that your "My email comes from google dot com." really means I should send it to gmail.com and not google.com?

The Exchange

Fayries wrote:


brock wrote:
Mail me, if you still want to sell that. Address is on profile. I've had a saved search on Ebay for a while which occasionally lists auctions in the USA but didn't notify me of yours. I'll investigate.
Mail has been sent.

... checks ... checks profile

*facepalm* - yeah, that will bounce. gmail, not google, sigh, sorry.

Received, thanks.

Liberty's Edge

Add my vote to someone who came late and would by a compilation of RotRL. I would really love it if it was updated with the new rules. I think it would look amazing in a sexy hardcover too.

Dark Archive

Mike Silva wrote:
Add my vote to someone who came late and would by a compilation of RotRL. I would really love it if it was updated with the new rules. I think it would look amazing in a sexy hardcover too.

Just to point out. You can still find them in stores. Rare but they are around. I know the local game store chain still has one of each of the RotRL except I think number 2. In some cases like 4 on up they have 2 or 3 copies still left. Granted they are mostly spread out over there 4 stores.

Liberty's Edge

Dark_Mistress wrote:
Mike Silva wrote:
Add my vote to someone who came late and would by a compilation of RotRL. I would really love it if it was updated with the new rules. I think it would look amazing in a sexy hardcover too.
Just to point out. You can still find them in stores. Rare but they are around. I know the local game store chain still has one of each of the RotRL except I think number 2. In some cases like 4 on up they have 2 or 3 copies still left. Granted they are mostly spread out over there 4 stores.

At this point I've been one over with the PDFs. I would still love to have them in print form but that's just the compulsive collector in me.


Would love to see a tie in with the goblins and Kagmar from loot 4 less the goblin trader if they revamped this..I loved using the compatible stuff at times with the core stuff..and had this character start out in the original goblin raid and then shoiw up latter in adventures..the lumber mill making carts for less and magic shop later..in Magnimar..then the seedy..unground blackmarket..other this series is incredibly written thanks to you guys at paizo..great stuff. I agree with the earlier posting i also like pdf's but nothing like a good book in hand.


I'd like to include myself in the hordes of people wishing for this to be reprinted. Especially since I don't have cheap access to a printer :/

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Card Game, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Charles Poltenson wrote:
I'd like to include myself in the hordes of people wishing for this to be reprinted. Especially since I don't have cheap access to a printer :/

I'd keep checking the Website tomorrow or possibly Saturday if I were you. The stars look to be almost right to my eyes...


Pathfinder Companion, Maps Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Enlight_Bystand wrote:
Charles Poltenson wrote:
I'd like to include myself in the hordes of people wishing for this to be reprinted. Especially since I don't have cheap access to a printer :/
I'd keep checking the Website tomorrow or possibly Saturday if I were you. The stars look to be almost right to my eyes...

Does anyone know when the Future of Paizo seminar, or the AP and Module seminar is?

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Card Game, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Justin Franklin wrote:
Enlight_Bystand wrote:
Charles Poltenson wrote:
I'd like to include myself in the hordes of people wishing for this to be reprinted. Especially since I don't have cheap access to a printer :/
I'd keep checking the Website tomorrow or possibly Saturday if I were you. The stars look to be almost right to my eyes...
Does anyone know when the Future of Paizo seminar, or the AP and Module seminar is?

AP one is 4pm Indy time tomorrow, the Future of Paizo is 10am Saturday I think, but that one I'm uncertain on.


Pathfinder Companion, Maps Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Enlight_Bystand wrote:
Justin Franklin wrote:
Enlight_Bystand wrote:
Charles Poltenson wrote:
I'd like to include myself in the hordes of people wishing for this to be reprinted. Especially since I don't have cheap access to a printer :/
I'd keep checking the Website tomorrow or possibly Saturday if I were you. The stars look to be almost right to my eyes...
Does anyone know when the Future of Paizo seminar, or the AP and Module seminar is?
AP one is 4pm Indy time tomorrow, the Future of Paizo is 10am Saturday I think, but that one I'm uncertain on.

Excellent so we will know the next AP by tomorrow night and lots of new books by Saturday afternoon.


Anyone know if there is a conversion PDF for the Rise of the Runelords to the PFRPG system?

Liberty's Edge

Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
imjeffwilson wrote:
Anyone know if there is a conversion PDF for the Rise of the Runelords to the PFRPG system?

Won't be an Official one until June, they are converting it the Full AP to Pathfinder

Pathfinder Adventure Path: Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Dragnmoon wrote:
imjeffwilson wrote:
Anyone know if there is a conversion PDF for the Rise of the Runelords to the PFRPG system?

Won't be an Official one until June, they are converting it the Full AP to Pathfinder

Pathfinder Adventure Path: Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition

In the meantime, you can check out the Rise of the Runelords forum, where there are plenty of community-generated conversions and lots of other useful stuff.


Is the Sandpoint material in this book identical to the Anniversary edition, or is one more complete?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Devastation Bob wrote:
Is the Sandpoint material in this book identical to the Anniversary edition, or is one more complete?

The information is a little more complete in the Anniversary Edition, yes. If only because there are a few additional encounters in Sandpoint in the adventures itself, but also because there's more illustrations of Sandpoint locals. And the words themselves are slightly increased in total count.


Second time running Burnt Offerings.

Spoiler:

Feel Tsuto Kaijitsu tends to be a walk in the park for most parties. I also felt that his being a monk was a strange choice, since the player guide says there are no monastic colleges anywhere nearby. I guess he could have been sent away to one because he was a half elf and this greatly embarrassed his father.
I felt it might be more logical or at least offer more of a challenge if he was a rogue/alchemist. Anyhow, here is Tsuto as a rogue alchemist if this interests you.

Tsuto Kaijitsu
male Neutral Evil Alchemist/Rogue, Level 2/1, Init 5, HP 20/20, Speed 30
AC 22, Touch 15, Flat-footed 17, CMD 17, Fort 4, Ref 10, Will -2, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus +2
Dagger/Dagger +5/+5 (1d4/1d4, 19-20)
Entangles dc 14. Bomb (Tanglefoot bomb) (6) +7 (touch) (1d6+4, 5pts splash, 20)
Alchemist's fire (6) +7 (1d6, 20)
Mstr Studded Leather, Shield spell (+3 Armor, +4 Shield, +5 Dex)
Abilities Str 10, Dex 20, Con 12, Int 18, Wis 6, Cha 10
Condition None

201 to 220 of 220 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / Pathfinder Adventure Path #1: Burnt Offerings (Rise of the Runelords 1 of 6) (OGL) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.