Pathfinder Adventure Path #1: Burnt Offerings (Rise of the Runelords 1 of 6) (OGL)

4.40/5 (based on 76 ratings)
Pathfinder Adventure Path #1: Burnt Offerings (Rise of the Runelords 1 of 6) (OGL)
Show Description For:
Non-Mint

Add PDF $13.99

Print Edition Out of print

Non-Mint Out of print

Facebook Twitter Email

We Be Goblins—You Be Food!

The Rise of the Runelords Adventure Path begins here, in the small coastal town of Sandpoint. Five years after a tragic fire and spate of brutal murders, the people of Sandpoint eagerly anticipate the Swallowtail Festival to commemorate the consecration of the town's new temple. At the height of the ceremony, disaster strikes!

In the days that follow, a sinister shadow settles over Sandpoint. Rumors of goblin armies and wrathful monsters in forgotten ruins have set the populace on edge. As Sandpoint's newest heroes, the PCs must deal with treachery, goblins, and the rising threat of a forgotten empire whose cruel and despotic rulers might not be as dead as history records.

This volume of Pathfinder Adventure Path launches the Rise of the Runelords Adventure Path and includes:

  • "Burnt Offerings," and adventure for 1st-level characters by James Jacobs.
  • An exploration of your PCs' new hometown of Sandpoint, by James Jacobs.
  • A history of the ancient empire of Thassilon, by Wolfgang Baur.
  • The first installment of the Pathfinder's Journal, by Erik Mona.
  • Six new monsters by James Jacobs, Richard Pett, and F. Wesley Schneider.

ISBN-13: 978-1-60125-035-3

Note: This product is part of the Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscription.

Product Availability

PDF:

Fulfilled immediately.

Print Edition:

Out of print

This product is out of print.

Non-Mint:

Out of print

This product is out of print. This product is non-mint. Refunds are not available for non-mint products.

Are there errors or omissions in this product information? Got corrections? Let us know at store@paizo.com.

PZO9001


See Also:

11 to 15 of 76 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Average product rating:

4.40/5 (based on 76 ratings)

Sign in to create or edit a product review.

A strong start to some fun times (albeit in need of fine tuning)

4/5

To date I've run 6 separate groups through Rise of the Runelords, the most recent starting this past June (having made it to the end of the second book after 8 sessions thus far), so I am very familiar with the adventure path. Rise of the Runelords is a very entertaining campaign, and Burnt Offerings starts it off strongly. Warning: here there be spoilers!

The PCs find themselves in Sandpoint, a sleepy coastal community in Varisia, at the start of Autumn where the Swallowtail Festival is in full swing. The book jumps right into the action by having a band of goblin raiders assault the town. Personally I wish more emphasis was put on the festival itself, giving players a chance to mingle with the townsfolk and enjoy games of skill and/or chance while listening to some speeches by noteworthy personalities. However, I understand that in published adventurers there is only so much space to work with, and it is easy for a GM to magic some fun up (or steal a few thing from a very entertaining thread on the message-boards). In Sandpoint the PCs will involve themselves in 3 battles against groups of goblins, while there silly antics set a chaotic scene. These battles felt a bit repetitive, so I made sure to add a unique element to each fight and changed the locations of each battle from what was written (saving th Rusty Dragon from being burnt down is an excellent way to introduce Ameiko Kaijitsu).

Once matters calm down and in the raid is under control the PCs learn of a disturbance at the cemetery, where some of the town's beloved deceased have been dug up, their remains missing. I recommend taking the opportunity here to introduce some red herrings. In the days following the festival, the PCs are regarded as local heroes, and the book gives a few good examples of side quests to take place, though I felt the need to add a little bit more to stretch the duration of levels, otherwise RotRL will have players zipping to the upper teens in no time.

It isn't long before something foul is again afoot in Sandpoint. Goblins, under the command of a disgruntled former citizen have kidnapped poor Ameiko and taken control of the local glass-works. Here we hit my first major problem with Burnt Offerings. The map of the glass-works dungeon is tilted diagonally, making it awkward to copy onto a battle-mat, even more awkward (to the point of needing to create a new map to suit your needs) if you are like me and prefer using hexes to squares whenever possible. The party should discover and old smuggler's tunnel in the basement of the factory which connects to some recently disturbed ancient ruins. This is an optional dungeon, the villain of which is incredibly annoying. She isn't particularly dangerous as written, but it'll take forever to defeat her unless you have the savyiest of players (most groups I've run through the adventure have spent hours of real time locked in battle with her in a most unsatisfying session).

Whether the group decides to delve into the Catacombs of Wrath (the optional dungeon above) or not, they should learn of a greater threat to the town; the goblins of normally feuding tribes are massing to mount an attack that dwarfs their last. They must then head to Thistletop and protect the village in the absence of the law. Thistletop is a rather large dungeon in multiple parts. First, you have the Nettlewood, the forest outside, with a mix of interesting and mundane encounters. Next you have the goblin fortress itself, which holds quite a few humorous asides for the GM, and finally you have the ruins below, which will eventually culminate in a crescendo battle against an aasimar warrior-priestess of Lamashtu, the Mother of Monsters.

Overall I was rather pleased with Burnt Offerings. Though it felt more a skeleton than an adventure. It needed more side quests and better pacing, though it provides many opportunities for the GM to flex his or her creativity and add their own material and spin. The motivations feel a bit forced and contrived, which is recurring throughout the path, but for kick in the door groups this poses hardly any trouble at all and it is easily altered for role-play heavy groups. The encounters run the spectrum from ridiculously easy to insanely frustratingly difficult with no rhyme or reason. Saving a town from a montrous horde is a bit cliche, but allows for major parts of the adventure path to be set up, and if it isn't broke...well, you get the picture. With the wealth of player and GM resources available to enhance RotRL on the Paizo message boards alone, you'd be doing yourself a disservice to not play or run this adventure path from start to finish (after some fine tuning, of course).


3 PC's Dead in the First Book... but WORTH IT!

5/5

This has to be my favorite adventure path so far, out of "curse of the crimson throne" "council of thieves" "Second Darkness" and "Serpents Skull" and this one.

The NPC's are flavorful without being in-your-face, the story is rich, and the murder mystery in the second book had everyone scared to their toes!

In the first book, we had three PC's killed. A fighter who missed his swim check at the canyon, a bard was killed by raging summons from the little flying cleric demon, and a paladin killed by a bound demon. It sagged on morale, but we got though it and the history is WORTH every hour of playing.


Save the village

2/5

I can't praise this as highly as other reviewers. This is a save-the-village adventure, fairly orthodox where goblins, their champions, and other influences are your enemies. The goblins are given character and do spice up the adventure, but goblins as early opponents is more than a tad formulaic. A corrupted tribe of Shoanti would have made for some more interesting opponents, although the scenes do use the goblins pretty well. For running it, I recommend adding in other low cr monsters. The goblin base is located and off the adventurers go.

Well there are a lot of goblins, and they have champions, not all of which are goblins so low level character can certainly get in over their heads (this path saw a tpk save 1, and then another tpk later). If the goblins coalesce it can signal real trouble, so stealth can really be advised for this one. Wizards, will run out of spells, and resting in a giant goblin warren is not the easiest thing to pull off. So its a dungeon hack and worth playing, but very hard unless a dm rolls back some encounters.

Now for some of the issues. The village is well fleshed-out as they say, but a dm should not forget to go through the various scenes that can draw the players in and make them feel like they are saving worthwhile people. The village is a little odd and cosmopolitan for a far northern village (a glass-works here?).

The sheriff probably should do more, perhaps team up with the pcs, and not necessarily leave them to do everything. This can cause resentment.

The idea of attacking the goblins is actually a bit ridiculous (yes smash yourself against their defences) and a strong defence from the town, using militas and quickly erected pallisade walls, would involve much less threat to the pcs. Spread around the damage, hurt the goblins coming in, and put less stress on the players. A railroad dm who ran this for me and others, refused to allow this option. Yet Sandpoint does have a militia, some good men and hardy women, whom one assumes would protect their homes and help cover the backs of the pcs if Sandpoint was under attack. If you leave the town and go in, you are alone. So an LOTR heroic defence makes a little more sense than what is suggested as the adventure course (if you face a numerically superior foe, shouldn't you defend not attack?).

Having voiced my criticisms, I do plan to run this soon, with some tailoring and more diverse monsters and more human adversaries as well. This adventure path has led to many memories and recounted stories in my gaming group. Most aren't good, but we laugh at them anyway. Play it with a good and relaxed dm, or it can lead to player slaughter.


Pathfinder Conversion

5/5

After playing through this with a pathfinder conversion of characters, creatures and a fast experience level advancement it was a great run introduction to pathfinder for my group.

I did manage to get one of the characters married off to a girl with a rat problem, though could have done more with that part.

They reached level 5 by the end of the story, but it was necessary due to the boss fights being modified to have all the goblin hero's arrive to stop the group trying to cross the bridge and escape the goblin army behind them.

Then the big bad guy was supported by an adventuring party set up in ambush.

These things can happen if players take their time :)

Anyway I thought it was a good storyline and we have now moved off into the next part of the rise of the runelords.


5/5

Disclaimers: Review may contain spoilers
My Experience with it: DM for one 3.5 Group and one PFRPG Group (as is, no conversion)
Overview (no spoilers)
This was the first Paizo Product I owned (my 3.5 group gave it to me as birthday gift) and marked the transition of that group after almost 20 years of Forgotten Realms to Golarion (and we stayed there, that is saying something about the quality of BO, I guess)
Changes I made (spoilers):
I played the Adventure pretty much as written, just fleshed out the Cathedral a bit
Details (with spoilers):
The town became pretty much alive. Titus Scarnettis became a much hated NPC and ..... (whom they rescued from Goblins) provided gossip and cookies whenever they came back and they even trusted the Sheriff, Father... and some others - trusting NPC's is almost unheard of in my 3.5 group.
The Adventure is excellent, both groups had great fun, high points where the Goblin Attack, Chief.... and the fight with ....) The setting came to live in this volume and Lamasthu (with the info from latter parts of ROTRL) was the perfect poster-girl to really make Golarion unique and different from the Realms.
Overall: Very good adventure, gave us Sandpoint and Golarion Goblins


11 to 15 of 76 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
101 to 150 of 220 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Liberty's Edge

Well the more people who ask the more likely things will change ;)


Lisa Stevens wrote:
On top of it, reprinting sold out volumes of Pathfinder causes competition for current APs, which we DO have stock of.

I entirely understand that if something doesn't make financial sense, you just don't do it, but not reprinting in order to reduce competition for your current products I find annoying and a littel wrong-minded. Thematically, each of your AP's have been very different. What attracts me to RotRL has not quite been reproduced in any of the other APs. There may well be some people who will choose between RotRL and your current AP... but there are going to be more people who are choosing between Pathfinder and other RPG material.

And I'm one of them. I went into a game shop yesterday resolved to only get one book. Though I found large amounts of Pathfinder material, and felt very tempted to get it, I ended up getting Universalis instead. If I'd seen any of RotRL I likely would have gotten that instead (or as well).

Though it is likely I will get Pathfinder products again in the future (the River Kingdoms AP intrigues me), most of your product doesn't compete well for my limited budget when compared to the vast quantities of other RPG material out there that I want (though Paizo does have the best publishing standards, hands down - even Nobilis doesn't come close).


KalevTait wrote:
Lisa Stevens wrote:
On top of it, reprinting sold out volumes of Pathfinder causes competition for current APs, which we DO have stock of.

I entirely understand that if something doesn't make financial sense, you just don't do it, but not reprinting in order to reduce competition for your current products I find annoying and a littel wrong-minded. Thematically, each of your AP's have been very different. What attracts me to RotRL has not quite been reproduced in any of the other APs. There may well be some people who will choose between RotRL and your current AP... but there are going to be more people who are choosing between Pathfinder and other RPG material.

I agree with you on the reprint issue.

As a sort of aside, I was interested in getting the AP Subscription last month, because I wanted both Printed and PDF. After inquiring if I could get past issues of the current AP with PDF with the same deal as receiving the current one, I was told I couldn't do that. As much as I love the APs, I am not paying $35 each for both AP and PDF (After Shipping costs)

So basically I will skip Legacy of Fire and wait for the new AP coming in Aug. It just doesn't make sense to me why they wouldn't want my money.

The Exchange

Hello! I am a latecomer into the Pathfinder series (much to my chagrin) but I have decided to run Rise of the RuneLords for my group. I have had some luck finding print editions of PF 2,4-6, but went ahead and bought 1 and 3 in PDF format since they are impossible to find at a reasonable price anywhere. I'm not complaining about having to do that, as these products are over 2 years old and I understand completely about keeping new product out and in the limelight.

I have only one complaint. The dpi quality of PF1 is quite poor, looking like simply a medium reolution jpeg scan as opposed to the crisp clean lines of PF 3. It really makes the maps difficult to read, and that honks me off since they are a central part of running the game.

Is there any reason that the resolution is so poor in comparison to PF 3? Are the original files that your printing company used for the initial print run gone? It's just frustrating that I spent the same amount for a mediocre quality scan of a fine fine adventure as I spent for the clean and high res file of PF3.

Scarab Sages

Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

I recommend checking *Here* for higher res maps, battlemaps, drawings, and a ton of other excellent community created content. I too am running the RotRL AP a couple years late, which means the dead tree versions are harder to find, but it also means that the user community has been working on supplemental material for 2 years.

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Omas Abid wrote:
I have only one complaint. The dpi quality of PF1 is quite poor, looking like simply a medium reolution jpeg scan as opposed to the crisp clean lines of PF 3. It really makes the maps difficult to read, and that honks me off since they are a central part of running the game.

Are you talking specifically about *just* the map tags? For the first two volumes, our cartographer provided us with flattened maps—that is, images and text labels were already combined into a single object that was placed into the layout; effectively, that means the map tags are locked to the same resolution as the maps. We soon began requiring our cartographers to instead send us layered maps, which allows us to leave the tags as separate scalable text, meaning that as you zoom in, the text will scale effectively infinitely—or at least well beyond the point where the images they're placed on no longer look good.

Aside from the map tags, you shouldn't see any other differences between volumes 1 and 3. Both PDFs were made from the original electronic files, and to largely the same spec as all of our PDFs. (I'm looking at pages at 200% and higher, and not seeing anything unusual.)

The Exchange

@redcelt: Thank you for the link! Those are some nice suppliments for the game.

@Vic: Yes, I am specifically talking about the maps. The text for the pdf is fine and I have no trouble reading it, but the maps are difficult primarily because of the size, serifs and pixilation. If you print or zoom to 200% on the map of Sandpoint in the PF1 for example, you see a fair amount of pixilation on the numbers of the identified buildings. In comparison, the same map from the Rise of Runelords Player's Guide is much crisper and the numbers are easier to read.

Since the Player's Guide has a better version of the Sandpoint map, I simply am using that map instead. The Sandpoint Glassworks and the map of the Hinterlands from PF1 are just difficult to read, in my opinion. The others I am muddling through, if I squint enough. If there are higher rez versions available for download anywhere, I'd be happy to dl and reprint them.

I understand that it is simply the fact of PF1 maps are flattened images as opposed to having the text/numbers on a seperate layer. I know I am being kind of picky, but as I stated before, the price is the same, but the print-ready quality between the two is not.


How long does it take to play through each chapter in an Adventure path? Does each chapter only take a single session (meaning the entire adventure path can be played out in 6 sessions) or does each chapter take 2-3 sessions to play through?

Grand Lodge

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Shad0wdrag0n wrote:
How long does it take to play through each chapter in an Adventure path? Does each chapter only take a single session (meaning the entire adventure path can be played out in 6 sessions) or does each chapter take 2-3 sessions to play through?

It's completely a function of, a) what pace your group plays at, and b) how long your sessions are.

If your group is slow-paced (maybe lots of RP or side-tracks), it'll take alot longer than if they are encounter machines (jumping from one combat/encounter to the next with minimum downtime).

That answer probably isn't as helpful as you'd like, but it really does vary from group to group.

-Skeld

EDIT: For example, my group played Savage Tide AP (12 chapters, levels 1-20) in about 16 months. Since RotRL goes to level 15-ish across 6 chapters, I estimate it would take my group abut a year to play the AP and about 2 months to play a chapter, which makes it about 4 or 5 6-8 hour sessions. Granted low-level play goes faster than higher-level play, so I can skew the results to slightly shorter early chapters and slightly longer later chapters.


Shad0wdrag0n wrote:
How long does it take to play through each chapter in an Adventure path? Does each chapter only take a single session (meaning the entire adventure path can be played out in 6 sessions) or does each chapter take 2-3 sessions to play through?

It varies by AP, and play style of the group to be sure.

I've been running RotRL since March '09 and we're about halfway through the 4th installment. Our play has been somewhat sporadic though, and probably only breaks down to about 18~24 play sessions during that time (usually for 5-6 hours). Burnt Offerings actually had a lot of meat to it, and IIRC it took us a little over 4 full sessions to make it completely through it.

BTW, so far this one is my favorite out of all of the AP issues in terms of story and background.


I am a latecomer to Pathfinder, and would like to run Rise of the Runelords. I have noticed that Burnt Offerings is only available in pdf. Is there any chance of it being reprinted so those of us who are new could get hard copies?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

AnarionZelle wrote:
I am a latecomer to Pathfinder, and would like to run Rise of the Runelords. I have noticed that Burnt Offerings is only available in pdf. Is there any chance of it being reprinted so those of us who are new could get hard copies?

We have no plans at this point of reprinting Burnt Offerings or the other installments in Rise of the Runelords that are out of print or getting very close to being out of print. I wouldn't be surprised to see us eventually do some sort of reprint or repackaging of Rise of the Runelords, but that's not something we'll be doing soon. The best bet would probably be to check used bookstores (perhaps Amazon.com's used book section?) or eBay or to scour FLGSs in the area.


James Jacobs wrote:
AnarionZelle wrote:
I am a latecomer to Pathfinder, and would like to run Rise of the Runelords. I have noticed that Burnt Offerings is only available in pdf. Is there any chance of it being reprinted so those of us who are new could get hard copies?
We have no plans at this point of reprinting Burnt Offerings or the other installments in Rise of the Runelords that are out of print or getting very close to being out of print. I wouldn't be surprised to see us eventually do some sort of reprint or repackaging of Rise of the Runelords, but that's not something we'll be doing soon. The best bet would probably be to check used bookstores (perhaps Amazon.com's used book section?) or eBay or to scour FLGSs in the area.

Thank you for your prompt reply to my inquiry. Normally your advice would be good, but in the past few years (at least to my knowledge), certain unscrupulous speculators have jumped on the opportunity that certain out of print gaming books/materials provide by offering them for outragous prices. Only one copy of Burnt Offerings is offered on Amazon right now for $999.00. Of course, no one will buy at that price, but it has the effect of encouraging others to either hoard unused copies or to jack up their prices as well. Normal supply and demand, it seems, and I can't really say that there is anything wrong with that. However, it does discourage those of us who would like to participate in the Pathfinder Adventure Path from the beginning, and will affect your sales of these adventures to people who are completest. Why purchase this adventure path when there is little hope of ever obtaining all of them?. To some, it might even disuade them from trying Pathfinder altogether. I realize that there is probably little that you can do to alleviate this situation, and I certainly mean no disrespect to you or Paizo, but am offering this response in the slight hope that Paizo may consider a reprint.


Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories, Pawns, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber
AnarionZelle wrote:
... Only one copy of Burnt Offerings is offered on Amazon right now for $999.00.

Was surprised to see this! Finally a retirement plan I can get behind :)

Took a quick look on ebay and found someone selling* the complete AP plus a few Chronicles books for about 30$.... but no individual listings of Burnt Offerings!

Impressive work for Paizo indeed.

* Edit: 30 for shipping too, but still 60 bucks ain't bad.


Nyarlathotep wrote:
AnarionZelle wrote:
... Only one copy of Burnt Offerings is offered on Amazon right now for $999.00.

Was surprised to see this! Finally a retirement plan I can get behind :)

Took a quick look on ebay and found someone selling* the complete AP plus a few Chronicles books for about 30$.... but no individual listings of Burnt Offerings!

Impressive work for Paizo indeed.

* Edit: 30 for shipping too, but still 60 bucks ain't bad.

Well, the bidding is up to $60.00 now, not including shipping, and there are still almost 5 days to go. I am betting that the ending bid for these will be nowhere near $60.00 when the dust settles.

:(

Sovereign Court

A compiled RotRL would be awesome, particularly if it were updated for PFRPG. It'd also be cool if the adventures were split into one volume and the flavour and rules and monsters ended up in other compilations. It wouldn't stop me buying the AP sub, either, so long as there was a lag between the AP release and the eventual compilation.

I also particularly think that rules stuff, like traits from various supplements, need periodic compilation. Hopefully the wikis will do it, but a volume would also be cool. Mind you, it doesn't have to be a volume produced by Paizo, I guess, as that stuff is OGL.


AnarionZelle wrote:
Only one copy of Burnt Offerings is offered on Amazon right now for $999.00.

Funny, I'm seeing it offered through amazon for $68.42. See? I wouldn't pay THAT much for it either... or even a third of that. But I could conceive of some fanatic trying to complete a collection, maybe...

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

AnarionZelle wrote:
...but am offering this response in the slight hope that Paizo may consider a reprint.

We actually gave reprints a try once, with the first AP volume that sold out (#2). The economics of printing are based heavily on volume, so in order to have a similar cover price, you need to print a similar quantity, and the demand for the reprinted volume wasn't as big as we'd hoped, so straight reprints are off the table for now.

Have you considered having the PDF printed and bound locally?

Grand Lodge

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
AnarionZelle wrote:
...

My [unsolicited] advice: Buy the PDF, print out the relevant pages in black & white, clamp it together with a bullbog clip. I do this for pretty much every thing I run (Pathfinder, Star Wars, and others) and it works great. This nice thing is you can go through it with a highliter (yellow for skills, green for rewards, red for enemies/threats, and blue for information) and make notes on it without fear. Then... chuck it in the shredder when you're done!

Alternatively, you might try starting a thread asking fellow Paizoans if they have seen a copy at their local book/game stores. People here are generally pretty helpful when it comes to spreading the Paizo-love. (I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone was willing to buy it and send it to you at cost; just because we're friendly folk.)

-Skeld


Vic Wertz wrote:
AnarionZelle wrote:
...but am offering this response in the slight hope that Paizo may consider a reprint.

We actually gave reprints a try once, with the first AP volume that sold out (#2). The economics of printing are based heavily on volume, so in order to have a similar cover price, you need to print a similar quantity, and the demand for the reprinted volume wasn't as big as we'd hoped, so straight reprints are off the table for now.

Have you considered having the PDF printed and bound locally?

Wow, I am super impressed at the level of customer support that I am experiencing here. Thanks for taking the time to respond, Vic. It would seem that there would be some risk in reprinting the AP, then. I accept your reasoning, but would posit that reprinting the first AP would be a little different from reprinting subsequent APs. Most people trying out Pathfinder for the first time will likely want to start at the beginning. By keeping a stock of at least the first and possibly the second AP, you would allow those coming into the Pathfinder fold to experience it as others have. Some might change their mind after trying the first path and move on, while others will keep going, but everyone would have the opportunity to start from the beginning. It would seem that Paizo is poised to really take off with Pathfinder, and keeping the door open for those who were not in from the beginning doesn't seem like that large of a risk. But then I have never ran a company, nor had a book published, printed, or distributed, so my reasoning may be woefully off the mark.


Skeld wrote:
AnarionZelle wrote:
...

My [unsolicited] advice: Buy the PDF, print out the relevant pages in black & white, clamp it together with a bullbog clip. I do this for pretty much every thing I run (Pathfinder, Star Wars, and others) and it works great. This nice thing is you can go through it with a highliter (yellow for skills, green for rewards, red for enemies/threats, and blue for information) and make notes on it without fear. Then... chuck it in the shredder when you're done!

Alternatively, you might try starting a thread asking fellow Paizoans if they have seen a copy at their local book/game stores. People here are generally pretty helpful when it comes to spreading the Paizo-love. (I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone was willing to buy it and send it to you at cost; just because we're friendly folk.)

-Skeld

Thanks for the tips, Skeld. From what I have seen so far, I don't doubt that the Paizo folks are a friendly lot. I have tried printing a couple of pdfs out before, but for me they are not the same as an original copy. I think that I will take you up on your suggestion to ask if anyone has access to a copy of Burnt Offerings and Hook Mountain for a reasonable price. I have experienced the generosity of the gaming community in the past and have shared myself on a few occasions. Maybe I will come across someone here who can help me out.

:)

Paizo Employee Managing Developer

I'll check my local game store this weekend, and let you know if they have it.

Liberty's Edge

Adam Daigle wrote:
I'll check my local game store this weekend, and let you know if they have it.

I'll check my local game store as well. I know they have like three or four that are on sale from the first AP but not sure if #1 is one of them.

Sean

Paizo Employee Franchise Manager

I think my FLGS has Hook Mountain Massacre though I am positive they don't have Burnt Offerings. That one is particularly rare because it is not only the first one (and thus might have had a smaller print run), and because new converts to Pathfinder have had longer to buy it than any other edition.


Thanks, guys! I'll keep my fingers crossed!

:)


Shad0wdrag0n wrote:
How long does it take to play through each chapter in an Adventure path? Does each chapter only take a single session (meaning the entire adventure path can be played out in 6 sessions) or does each chapter take 2-3 sessions to play through?

I think 2-3 sessions would be rushing it.

I haven't done the full series yet (will be finishing the second tonight) but I would say 4 sessions per "chapter" would be fairly quick. There is quite a lot to do in each.

Burnt Offerings
1) Introduce characters, festival, goblin attack, role play around Sandpoint
2) Glassworks and catacombs
3&4) Thistletop

Skinsaw
1) Start investigations, sanitorium. farm
2) Foxglove manor
3) Magnimar, townhouse, sawmill
4) Xanesha


AnarionZelle wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:
AnarionZelle wrote:
... Only one copy of Burnt Offerings is offered on Amazon right now for $999.00.

Was surprised to see this! Finally a retirement plan I can get behind :)

Took a quick look on ebay and found someone selling* the complete AP plus a few Chronicles books for about 30$.... but no individual listings of Burnt Offerings!

Impressive work for Paizo indeed.

* Edit: 30 for shipping too, but still 60 bucks ain't bad.

Well, the bidding is up to $60.00 now, not including shipping, and there are still almost 5 days to go. I am betting that the ending bid for these will be nowhere near $60.00 when the dust settles.

:(

Well, the bidding ended up at $130.85 (shipping included), which is not a bad price for everything included (worked out to about $14.00 per book). However, it is rather a steep price to plunk down on a game system/setting that I have never played. I am guessing at this point that I will have little luck in finding the beginning of this adventure path and should just let it go. Maybe it just wasn't meant to be :( Thanks for everyone's help and responses, though. Happy gaming!

Scarab Sages

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps Subscriber

I have looked around here is Australia and found an internet store which still has the following, one copy of both 1 and 2 and two copies of 3, 4, 5, & 6. They are AUD25 (about USD23) each for a brand new copy, but postage could possibly be expensive, you can but try.

They are Defiant Gaming


AnarionZelle wrote:
Well, the bidding ended up at $130.85 (shipping included), which is not a bad price for everything included (worked out to about $14.00 per book). However, it is rather a steep price to plunk down on a game system/setting that I have never played.

You know, Rise of the Runelords is written for 3.5e, not the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game. While Pathfinder RPG is generally "compatible" and "easy conversion" with 3.5e, the first Pathfinder Adventure Path that uses Pathfinder RPG rules is Council of Thieves.

Also worth mentioning with all the talk about "getting in at the beginning," each adventure path starts at level 1 so the main advantage of "getting in at the beginning" of the line is the back-up materials in the back of the book.

Council of Thieves is the first Pathfinder Adventure Path to use Pathfinder RPG rules.

Rise of the Runelords, Curse of the Crimson Throne, Second Darkness, and Legacy of fire are all for D&D 3.5e rules.

All of the adventure paths are in the Pathfinder Chronicles Campaign Setting regardless of whether they're 3.5e rules or Pathfinder RPG rules, but since the players always start at level 1 for each set, having all the sets isn't strictly necessary except for the supplemental content at the back of the books.

This just seemed like it needed clarified.

Paizo Employee Franchise Manager

Wolf Munroe wrote:
This just seemed like it needed clarified.

I think it's the completionist, "there are numbers on the spines and I don't have them all!" impulse at play more than one relating to a rules set or specific individual AP. And I can completely relate to that ;-)


yoda8myhead wrote:
Wolf Munroe wrote:
This just seemed like it needed clarified.
I think it's the completionist, "there are numbers on the spines and I don't have them all!" impulse at play more than one relating to a rules set or specific individual AP. And I can completely relate to that ;-)

Well, I started my subscription at Second Darkness (#13) and went back and bought all of Rise of the Runelords and Curse of the Crimson Throne, but that's because I was buying up 3.5e material left and right like it was going out of style. (We all know it wasn't really going out of style.) Even a year ago, I had trouble getting some of Rise of the Runelords. Actually, I got book 1 & 3 from Amazon but after a month they still hadn't shipped book 2 so I got it from Paizo.

I still wanted to clarify though for people who don't make the distinction between Pathfinder the roleplaying game and Pathfinder the adventure path line and Pathfinder the campaign setting. It -CAN- be confusing, not just because there are three product lines named Pathfinder (or, well, more than three, but those are the big ones), but also because some of Pathfinder is for the Pathfinder game system and some of it isn't.


yoda8myhead wrote:
I think it's the completionist, "there are numbers on the spines and I don't have them all!" impulse at play more than one relating to a rules set or specific individual AP. And I can completely relate to that ;-)

I think there's a little more to it than that. Sometimes, a passage in a book / module / supplement might make a vague reference because the author might assume, without even thinking of it, that the reader is familiar with it because the author is. A module might refer to some Deity, kingdom, or historical event without explaining some detail about that Deity, kingdom, or historical event that's crucial to the current module. Sure, the reader could look it up in the Gazetteer, the Campaign Setting book, or the wiki. But an encyclopedia-like entry might not bring that detail to LIFE the way a story can. (And a module is very much like a story.)

And even if that detail isn't explained in older sources, the reader will never know that for sure unless (s)he has read those older sources.

That's why I dislike reading a sequel before its preceding volumes, and why I plan to get a bunch of old Golarion books - at least, some of them, which cover topics that intrigue me - before moving on to the newer ones. It's not feasible for me to read ALL the past Golarion books, but I feel that getting SOME of them will give me a better feel for the setting.


I'm going to be starting this adventure path soon, but my group consists of 7 players, not 4. What should I do to increase the difficulty of the adventure path to suit such a large group? Should I just double the number of monsters and throw in a bunch of minions into each boss fight? Or should I just max out everything's HP? Or should work out just fine as they are? My main worry is that the characters aren't going to be earning enough xp to keep their level equal to the level of the campaign, but with nearly twice the normal number of players, is that really going to be a problem?

Paizo Employee Franchise Manager

Not only will your players be short on XP as written, but economy of actions is going to skew heavily in the party's favor. And that's something that even max villain HP can't account for. You'll need to increase number of monsters and difficulty, I suspect, but the CR mechanic is built around the assumption that a party consists of around 4 players. Balancing for 3 or 5 is one thing, but balancing for 7 is something else entirely. That said, there are threads on this topic in the Rise of the Runelords forum below, and they may provide workable advice.

Liberty's Edge

Shad0wdrag0n wrote:
I'm going to be starting this adventure path soon, but my group consists of 7 players, not 4. What should I do to increase the difficulty of the adventure path to suit such a large group? Should I just double the number of monsters and throw in a bunch of minions into each boss fight? Or should I just max out everything's HP? Or should work out just fine as they are? My main worry is that the characters aren't going to be earning enough xp to keep their level equal to the level of the campaign, but with nearly twice the normal number of players, is that really going to be a problem?

this thread looks right up your alley.

I've been running my own pbp game for 6-8 players for a while; though it isn't ROTRL, this thread nonetheless gave me some help.


Ungoded wrote:
Peter Robinson wrote:
Any chance we will see # 1-6 compiled in one volume for all us late-comers?

They have said before that they do not plan doing a compilation like that.

It encourages people to wait for the compilation instead of subscribing.

but it would be nice years later for those who didn't jump on board for this particular path

Paizo Employee Franchise Manager

MerrikCale wrote:
but it would be nice years later for those who didn't jump on board for this particular path

You snooze, you lose. The early bird gets the worm. To the winner go the spoils. What goes up must come down.


yoda8myhead wrote:
MerrikCale wrote:
but it would be nice years later for those who didn't jump on board for this particular path
You snooze, you lose. The early bird gets the worm. To the winner go the spoils. What goes up must come down.

I'm kind of glad yoda ate your head

jk

Paizo Employee Franchise Manager

MerrikCale wrote:
I'm kind of glad yoda ate your head

You get what you pay for.

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Companion, Pawns, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber
MerrikCale wrote:
Ungoded wrote:
Peter Robinson wrote:
Any chance we will see # 1-6 compiled in one volume for all us late-comers?

They have said before that they do not plan doing a compilation like that.

It encourages people to wait for the compilation instead of subscribing.

but it would be nice years later for those who didn't jump on board for this particular path

At this point, I think they'd sooner release an anniversary edition Rise of the Rune Lords compilation with updated Pathfinder RPG rules then they'd ever be to do a reprint and/or a compilation book (without updates) just to keep it in print.

And even an anniversary edition compilation would likely be limited quantity.

Scarab Sages

Put me down for it. :)

Liberty's Edge

Rather than start a new thread Let me know the good and the bad elements about the adventure path overall. Please keep it civil. As I might be starting running a Pathfinder game soon.


Curious, has anyone encountered any trouble with this one? Outside of the fact that the designer seemed to hate square rooms, just ran into some weird wrinkles playing this out.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Enragedhedgehog wrote:
Curious, has anyone encountered any trouble with this one? Outside of the fact that the designer seemed to hate square rooms, just ran into some weird wrinkles playing this out.

The designer hates square rooms because he (me) finds them to be boring to look at, and a little bit unrealistic when it comes to fitting a dungeon into an unusually shaped building or location. Plus: Non-square rooms give more opportunities for tactics and cover and all that.


memorax wrote:
Rather than start a new thread Let me know the good and the bad elements about the adventure path overall. Please keep it civil. As I might be starting running a Pathfinder game soon.

So far I have run almost the first half of the AP and it has been great and the player's have loved it. Pathfinder #1 is by far the best with #2 coming in a very close second. Sandpoint is a great starting locale with tons to do for the players.

I think some work is required in some areas the AP to either make it make sense or flow better, but the Runelords section on this messageboard has so many good ideas on things to add, you can really flesh out your game without as much work put into it.

I think you can't go wrong if you decide to run this for a group.

Enragedhedgehog wrote:
Curious, has anyone encountered any trouble with this one? Outside of the fact that the designer seemed to hate square rooms, just ran into some weird wrinkles playing this out.

I didn't have any problems with this and other than making it a little harder to draw out, it is refreshing to see "non perfect" rooms.


Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens Subscriber
yoda8myhead wrote:
MerrikCale wrote:
I'm kind of glad yoda ate your head
You get what you pay for.

I do not want to know even the least bit of detail about that transaction.

Silver Crusade

Not sure where to ask this, so I figured here was as good as anywhere.

I was going through the players guide and noticed some feats, the one dealing with stabilize checks comes to mind. Is there an updated version of feats that no longer apply with PFRPG I can use, since at least with that feat, stabilize doesn't deal in % anymore?


ThornDJL7 wrote:

Not sure where to ask this, so I figured here was as good as anywhere.

I was going through the players guide and noticed some feats, the one dealing with stabilize checks comes to mind. Is there an updated version of feats that no longer apply with PFRPG I can use, since at least with that feat, stabilize doesn't deal in % anymore?

I doubt that there's any official answer, but I can tell you this much: When I joined a Rise of the Runelords PBP on these forums, I wanted the Lone Wolf feat. And right here, the GM told me this:

Varisian Chronicler wrote:
Here's how I'm modifying the Lone Wolf feat: Once a day, the first time your condition is 'dying', you automatically stabilize. After this on the same day, if your condition is 'dying', you must make a DC 6 check to stabilize. You also get a +1 bonus on Fortitude saves.

This strikes me as an artistic decision, not a scientific process. And that's one example of why I feel...

Dons flame-retardant suit.

...that the "backwards compatibility" claim is bull.

Runs for cover.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Cough, cough, just saw this one on Ebay for 380 USD. Madness ? :)


Gorbacz wrote:
Cough, cough, just saw this one on Ebay for 380 USD. Madness ? :)

Utter Madness!

Seem to range from $72 upwards to that $380... if I'd had Oracle like powers back then I'd have bought two :(

101 to 150 of 220 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / Product Discussion / Pathfinder Adventure Path #1: Burnt Offerings (Rise of the Runelords 1 of 6) (OGL) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.