About Kakure On'nanoko
Critical Hit with a Light or One-Handed Piercing Melee Weapon: Each time the swashbuckler confirms a critical hit with a light or one-handed piercing melee weapon, she regains 1 panache point. Confirming a critical hit on a helpless or unaware creature or a creature that has fewer Hit Dice than half the swashbuckler's character level doesn't restore panache.
Killing Blow with a Light or One-Handed Piercing Melee Weapon: When the swashbuckler reduces a creature to 0 or fewer hit points with a light or one-handed piercing melee weapon attack while in combat, she regains 1 panache point. Destroying an unattended object, reducing a helpless or unaware creature to 0 or fewer hit points, or reducing a creature that has fewer Hit Dice than half the swashbuckler's character level to 0 or fewer hit points doesn't restore panache.
Grit and Panache: The gunslinger's grit and the swashbuckler's panache represent two paths to gain access to the same heroic pool. Characters with both grit and panache class features combine the two resources into a larger pool of both grit points and panache points.
For the purposes of feat prerequisites, a character with the panache class feature satisfies the prerequisites as if she were a grit user, and vice versa. Swashbuckler levels stack with gunslinger levels for the purpose of satisfying Signature Deed's level requirement. For feats, magic items, and other effects, a panache user can spend and gain panache points in place of grit points, and vice versa.
Deeds: Swashbucklers spend panache points to accomplish deeds. Most deeds grant the swashbuckler a momentary bonus or effect, but some provide longer-lasting effects. Some deeds remain in effect while the swashbuckler has at least 1 panache point, but do not require the expenditure of panache points to be maintained. A swashbuckler can perform deeds only of her level or lower. Unless otherwise noted, a deed can be performed multiple successive times, as long as the swashbuckler has or spends the required number of panache points to perform the deed.
Swashbuckler Finesse (Ex): At 1st level, a swashbuckler gains the benefit of the Weapon Finesse feat with light or one-handed piercing melee weapons, and she can use her Charisma score in place of her Intelligence score as a prerequisite for combat feats. This ability counts as having the Weapon Finesse feat for purpose of meeting feat prerequisites.
Low-Light Vision (Ex): Kitsune can see twice as far as humans in conditions of dim light.
Change Shape (Su): A kitsune can assume the appearance of a specific single human form of the same sex. The kitsune always takes this specific form when she uses this ability. A kitsune in human form cannot use her bite attack, but gains a +10 racial bonus on Disguise checks made to appear human. Changing shape is a standard action. This ability otherwise functions as alter self, except that the kitsune does not adjust her ability scores and can remain in this form indefinitely.
Agile (Ex): Kitsune receive a +2 racial bonus on Acrobatics checks.
Fast Shifter (Su): You were born with an innate talent for switching between your natural forms. Using your racial change shape ability is a move action instead of a standard action. This racial trait replaces kitsune magic.
Natural Weapons (Ex): In her natural form, a kitsune has a bite attack that deals 1d4 points of damage.
10 Minute Background:
5 key concept elements
- Knife-thrower extraordinaire: deadly with her daggers and star knives at range and up close, though she likes her personal space
- Hidden: hides most everything—knives in her sleeves, her true (Kitsune) form, her feelings
- Sister on a mission: desperate to find and rescue her sister, will take any opportunity to do so
- Charming, but dangerous: easily able to get others off their guard, sometimes to their demise
- Resourceful: able to improvise when in need of a hasty escape, a new identity, a winning strategy, etc.
- Wants, above all else, to find and rescue her sister from Chelaxian slavers
- Wants to join the Bellflower Network, both to further her personal goal and to take down slavers like those who abducted her sister
- (OOC) I would love to see Kakure actually gain some notoriety in Kintargo as a performer and for her to grow to accept the city as her and her sister’s new home.
- Kakure almost never reveals her true (Kitsune) form. She keeps her heritage close to her chest because she feels it could make her a target for slavers like those who abducted her sister. She both hates and fears such people.
- Kakure is unaware that she has actually been followed to Kintargo by agents of vengeful slavers she crossed in her efforts to track down her sister.
- She is also unaware of her sister’s current state (if she is alive, if she has adopted her Chelaxian masters’ Asmodean faith, etc…)
- You guessed it! Her sister, Gin’nome On’nanoko. Gin’nome was in the same traveling circus with Kakure back in Tian Xia. One night, however, a slaver was in the audience in the circus, and was entranced by Gin’nome’s silvery eyes. He sent his men to abduct her in the next town where the circus stopped. Kakure, who was sleeping in the same pavilion as her sister, woke at the noise of her sister resisting them, and made it in time to kill one of the abductors, which gave her the information she needed to start her search.
- Hakuro: The ringleader of the circus that Kakure, Gin’nome, and their parents were part of. He is also the brother of a performer in Kintargo by the name of Hakiro. Hakiro is also a member of the Bellflower Network and would serve as a connection for Kakure to the organization.
- The Noruba Syndicate: Shortly before beginning her journey to Cheliax to find her sister, Kakure abducted and questioned the head of a powerful slaver organization named Okiga Noruba. Under the influence of some “enhanced interrogation techniques,” Mr. Noruba gave up the information that Gin’nome had been sold to slavers in Cheliax, where she would fetch a higher price for her exotic qualities. After the questioning was over, Kakure left Mr. Noruba within an inch of his life, which turned out to be a mistake. Now, Noruba has dispatched some agents to find and eliminate Kakure.
- A major memory that has really shaped Kakure’s outlook on life is from an occasion a few months before her parents died. One evening, a freak storm swept through the seaside town where the circus had been set up for the week. The storm put the circus tents in disarray, resulting in the night’s performance being cancelled. After causing it’s damage, however, the storm quickly moved on, leading to a beautiful sunset while the storm clouds receded in the distance. The whole family took advantage of the cancelled performance and spent the evening playing in the sea foam and enjoying the views.
- Another memory that serves as a driving force in Kakure’s life is the memory of her sister’s face as she was being abducted. Kakure caught a fleeting glimpse of the fear in her sister’s eyes as she was carried away. That memory drives her to never lose those who are close to her, though she has a difficult time allowing others to get that close to her.
- Because of her training as a juggler, Kakure can be very fidgety at times, especially in times of stress. When she is uncomfortable or under strain, she will begin clenching and unclenching her hands of become unable to keep her arms and hands still.
Where are you from?
Kakure is from Tian Xia. She does not have a particular city that she calls home because she grew up as part of a traveling circus.
How and why did you become your classes?
Kakure and her sister grew up as performers. Their parents were part of a traveling circus in Tian Xia, so they quickly learned to harness their natural dexterity. Kakure found a talent for juggling and knife throwing, while her sister, Gin'nome, had a knack for acrobatics. Over the years, Kakure developed her skills to such a degree that she could actually turn her talents to more dangerous uses.
Why do they wield the weapons that they do? What lead them to that particular weapon?
Kakure favors daggers and star knives. The reasoning is pretty clear, given her upbringing, but she favors the star knife in particular due to its beautiful design and greater accuracy at range.
Is your character Religious?
No. In the circus, there was little room for piety.
Do they worship a particular god? Why?
What does your alignment mean to your character?
Just as the circus left little room for piety, it similarly didn't afford Kakure or her sister the opportunity to be particularly righteous. They had to do anything necessary to ensure that they survived and prospered.
Do you have a code?
Kakure's personal code consists of three principles: 1) Right and wrong are determined by those with power; 2) Before you can think of peace and prosperity, you must first ensure survival; and 3) Family is above all else.
Does your character retain these beliefs when they're alone?
What does your character look like?
In Kitsune form, she has classic red/orange fox fur with white on her abdomen and neck from the collarbone up to her chin. In human form, she has lightly tanned skin, light brown hair streaked with red, and the same amber eyes that she has in fox form. She typically wears a tunic and loose fitting pants of a bright red silk, with the shirt's sleeves cut off at the shoulders, though she wears long, trailing half-sleeves strapped at her elbows and covering her forearms.
What do they look like when alone?
Same as above, although she does take off the sleeves from time to time--they tend to get in the way sometimes. It is significant, however, that it is only when she is alone or with those she deems close to her that she takes on her true (Kitsune) form. She feels that this form is her true self, and prefers to hide it from those she has not yet come to trust.
As the blade struck the wall right next to his head, the old man wakes up screaming. His eyes fly open and flick around the room, looking for a way to escape. He spots a door and tries to run towards it, but he finds himself tied to a chair, his back against a large crate in the middle of a dark warehouse. "What the hell is going on here," he screams.
A soft voice answers from the shadows, "Only what you have earned, Mr. Noruba." A slender girl, no more than 17 years old, steps into the light of the lantern beside the chair. Her short brown hair is streaked with red, and her eyes are a bright amber color. Her tunic and loose fitting pants are of a bright red silk, with the shirt's sleeves cut off at the shoulders, though she wears long, trailing half-sleeves strapped at her elbows and covering her forearms.
Though he is terrified by the knife still sitting inches from his face, Mr. Noruba cannot help but to appreciate the girl's beauty. The girl notices the lecherous glint in his eyes and steps closer. With a sudden flick of her sleeve, a knife appears in the girl's hand, and she is pressing it against his throat. "Now now, Mr. Noruba," she says, "It's those kinds of looks that brought you here."
Now sweating profusely, Noruba replies, "I don't know what you mean! Who are you? Why are you doing this?"
"I'm looking for someone, and you know where I can find her," she says as she lowers her hand and steps away, the blade disappearing in the folds of her sleeve.
The motion sparks a memory, and a look of recognition and anger comes over Noruba's face as he says, "Wait a minute, I know you! You're that girl from the circus: the juggler! You know, I can have your ringleader whip you until your back is as bloody red as that pretty little shirt of yours."
The knife hums softly as it strikes the wood of the wall next to Noruba's right ear, and he suddenly feels a warm trickle of blood from the small cut the knife has made in the edge of the ear. The vicious snarl on the girl's face relaxes into a light smirk as she says, "Mokko has no reason to punish me. I'm not really part of his troupe, and he was too drunk to notice an extra juggler in the show tonight. I'm glad you noticed my act, though. It should remind you of how accurate I can be with my knives. Now ell me, where is Gin'nome?"
"Gin'nome? Who is that? I don't know anyone by that name."
"NO," the girl yells as she rips both knives out of the wood and delivers two, shallow cuts to the man's face. "Haru Tokunaga abducted her and sold her to you a month ago, then you shipped her off somewhere else! Where did you send her?"
He cries out with pain from the cuts, "How should I know? I ship a hundred slaves a month. You can't expect me to remember them all! Look, let me live and I'll show you my records. Maybe you kind find your friend that way!"
"I think not, Mr. Noruba. You'd have your men kill me the instant I enter your compound. Now tell me!" She slams a knife into the board next to his throat.
"I don't remember," he screams, tears starting to well up in his eyes. "How could I remember one slave girl?"
A sad look crosses her face, "Come now, certainly you wouldn't forget this face." As she speaks, a shimmer passes over her features, showing minute changes to her nose, her mouth, her cheeks. She opens her eyes, and he instantly remembers. He could never forget those brilliant, silvery eyes.
Kakure On'nanoko sees the look of recognition and fear of Noruba's face and smiles, "Yes, Mr. Noruba, you remember." Her face changes once again, revealing the fox-like face of a young Kitsune woman. "Now let me ask you again. Where is my sister?"