DamionTurner's page

15 posts. No reviews. No lists. No wishlists.



1 person marked this as a favorite.

New ideas (compared to what Paizo has done) then if you wish to be pendantic.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Most of this thread pushback has been "why would Paizo buy a worthless franchise" yet as soon as I point out that it is making money the pushback has changed to "Why would Ubisoft sell the game"

You can be on the "Paizo won't doesn't want to change or buy a franchise" side but you can't argue the value of the franchise.

Paizo's Pathfinder game is just going to be a niche game, overshadowed by a worser game with a much better IP..

And that's fine if you think Paizo can be sustained as a smaller company surviving as a third party publisher to D&D 5e (as with abomination vaults)

But if you feel Paizo needs to think bigger.. and fight for a bigger slice of the pie.. then it needs fresh ideas and fresh blood.

And buying Might and Magic could give it the shot in arm.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
keftiu wrote:

You can love Pathfinder and Might and Magic. You can worry about Paizo being competitive (but they do pay people for that). Trying to spin all of that into armchair business advice… is a little silly.

Buying a defunct IP is not some corporate wunderwaffe. This acquisition will never happen. The last Might & Magic game was 8 years ago and earned a mediocre 71% review average on Metacritic; I’m not sure what kind of shot in the arm you think it would provide, nor do I think Paizo has a spare 1.3 million dollars (what Ubisoft paid for the rights, and almost certainly less than they would part with it for) just laying around.

EDIT: Did you make your forum account to post this?

I was just googling and Ubisoft has turned the franchise into a cheesy mobile game, but that game still generated over 130 million.

https://www.pocketgamer.biz/news/67542/ubisoft-financials-q3-fy18/

But if you look at Might and Magic 6 and 7 and compared how much they earned and the influence they had.. then that would turn this agreement on its head.. I wish to reliterate HEROS of Might and Magic is a totally different game to the original Might and Magic franchise.

Google "Might and Magic 6 Mandate of Heaven" for reference.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
nephandys wrote:
I think you're really overvaluing the brand of Might and Magic in the year 2022.

That's because of the company that owns Might and Magic franchises.

They have undervalued it.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Oh and my personal favourites.. buying glass bottles raw ingredients for potions and for potions to blow up (as bombs) if you fail to mix them properly...


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I'm not a third-party publisher (nor would I want to be) but I honestly feel that the franchise of Might and Magic has alot to offer Paizo. And even if Paizo doesn't want to rebrand Pathfinder (which I respect) then borrowing some of the mechanics from M&M would improve the game of Pathfinder)

Further adding on the nonmagical alchemy reagents system to cure status affects would be a good thing.

Adding permanent stat bonuses to rare coloured barrels (could do a fortitude check to see if you drink it all.. or make some poison or debuff barrels for risk/reward.

Adding weapon affects like sticky acid or elemental buffs to weapons ect.. could have a corrosive risk to weapons so there's a risk.

The iconic spells would be awesome.

Path 2e already has lich's in the game which is in M&M.

Adding an acromage type pubgame would be fun. (Or adding a card desk to do a society skill check) to win a pub game for boons

And this is just scratching their surface!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

In your humble opinion, which I respect your right to make it but your not thinking long term.

If Paizo ever want to compete with D&D and get a bigger market share then they can't be just better than D&D.. but iconic too..

I absolutely love Pathfinder Second Edition.. but it's small compared to the monstro that is D&D .. WOTC has a stronger IP and that's a fact.. WOTC could sell empty cereal boxes with Dungeons and Dragons on it .. and it would sell.

Pathfinder 2e is much,much MUCH better than D&D5e and it doesn't matter.. because the name is not rememberable.. but Might and Magic is rememberable.. it is iconic.

So if Paizo bought that .. a game that has been reduced to cheesy mobile games from its current owner.. it's not being used as a AAA game because the company that owns it is dirt, and is treating the game like dirt.

Also Paizo's price of the pie will be reduced even further when D&D releases its next movie in 2024.. already confirmed and merchandising made.

So "what can Paizo gain from buying Might and Magic" the name alone will be a massive boost to Paizo!

The answer is, there's enough value to be generated from purchasing the name "Might and Magic" for Paizo to make any money off it.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
DamionTurner wrote:
Claxon wrote:

I agree I doubt Paizo would be be releasing Might and Magic games, but I never said they would. But they also have no need to.

The name has no serious pull or draw for the masses. I get that you like it, but that doesn't mean it's worth it for Paizo to invest money into it. The fact that there's a lot of crossover is exactly why there's no value. What would Might and Magic bring to Paizo that they don't already have?

Specific names of places and people not covered by OGL. Everything else can be virtually stolen with little change as long as they don't use the same names.

I think the skill levels exist because it's a pretty normal human convention. If it was something "special" it would be intellectual property and Paizo would have had to pay someone to use it. I'm assuming they didn't or wouldn't, and would have come up with slightly different names if they needed to.

It fine to borrow things from other games. Paizo does it. Hasbro does. Everyone does it. No one creates these game is a complete vacuum on their own. The question is do you have to pay someone for it and is it worth paying for?

In your humble opinion, which I respect your right to make it but your not thinking long term.

If Paizo ever want to compete with D&D and get a bigger market share then they can't be just better than D&D.. but iconic too..

I absolutely love Pathfinder Second Edition.. but it's small compared to the monstro that is D&D .. WOTC has a stronger IP and that's a fact.. WOTC could sell empty cereal boxes with Dungeons and Dragons on it .. and it would sell.

Pathfinder 2e is much,much MUCH better than D&D5e and it doesn't matter.. because the name is not rememberable.. but Might and Magic is rememberable.. it is iconic.

So if Paizo bought that .. a game that has been reduced to cheesy mobile games from its current owner.. it's not being used as a AAA game because the company that owns it is dirt, and is treating the game like dirt.

Also Paizo's price of the pie will be

...

By reverse.. I ment Ubisoft buying Paizo (which I don't want)


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Claxon wrote:

I agree I doubt Paizo would be be releasing Might and Magic games, but I never said they would. But they also have no need to.

The name has no serious pull or draw for the masses. I get that you like it, but that doesn't mean it's worth it for Paizo to invest money into it. The fact that there's a lot of crossover is exactly why there's no value. What would Might and Magic bring to Paizo that they don't already have?

Specific names of places and people not covered by OGL. Everything else can be virtually stolen with little change as long as they don't use the same names.

I think the skill levels exist because it's a pretty normal human convention. If it was something "special" it would be intellectual property and Paizo would have had to pay someone to use it. I'm assuming they didn't or wouldn't, and would have come up with slightly different names if they needed to.

It fine to borrow things from other games. Paizo does it. Hasbro does. Everyone does it. No one creates these game is a complete vacuum on their own. The question is do you have to pay someone for it and is it worth paying for?

In your humble opinion, which I respect your right to make it but your not thinking long term.

If Paizo ever want to compete with D&D and get a bigger market share then they can't be just better than D&D.. but iconic too..

I absolutely love Pathfinder Second Edition.. but it's small compared to the monstro that is D&D .. WOTC has a stronger IP and that's a fact.. WOTC could sell empty cereal boxes with Dungeons and Dragons on it .. and it would sell.

Pathfinder 2e is much,much MUCH better than D&D5e and it doesn't matter.. because the name is not rememberable.. but Might and Magic is rememberable.. it is iconic.

So if Paizo bought that .. a game that has been reduced to cheesy mobile games from its current owner.. it's not being used as a AAA game because the company that owns it is dirt, and is treating the game like dirt.

Also Paizo's price of the pie will be reduced even further when D&D releases its next movie in 2024.. already confirmed and merchandising made.

So "what can Paizo gain from buying Might and Magic" the name alone will be a massive boost to Paizo!

The answer is, there's not enough value to be generated from purchasing the name Might and Magic for Paizo to make any money off it.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
NielsenE wrote:
I loved Might and Magic, and HoMM, back in the day; however I never felt they had impressive lore, or storytelling. Very little of their IP felt new/innovative for the genre. Most people's nostalgia for the game had nothing to do with the world//lore/etc, so its not like an IP that would be useful for a cross-over to an established RPG.

I never mentioned Hasbro buying Pathfinder.. I suggested Paizo buying Might and Magic to compete with Hasbro. (As Hasbro is merging D&D and Magic the Gathering)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Claxon wrote:

Paizo is interested in creating and selling their own lore.

I doubt as a company they have interest in picking up someone else's. It's not a benefit to them.

Maybe if there were a huge demand in the market for Might and Magic to make a comeback it could be profitable, but to my knowledge there's not.

And game mechanics also aren't really a thing they need either.

It's not like they could directly apply them to PF2. And if they could, they probably wouldn't actually need to purchase anything.

General game mechanics are actually really hard to use as intellectual property, it's generally specific names that are protected.

I'm sorry, but there is seriously no benefit to Paizo for PF2. Not in lore. Not in mechanics.

I disagree.. for one Pathfinder wasn't created in a vacuum.. it's based on the OGL from WOTC. It's adapted rules from that game.. and all games borrow from each other.. but obviously intellectual property rights exist so I doubt Paizo will be releasing "Might and Magic" games unless they bought the IP.. but like I've already said.. there is a alot of crossover between the two.. do you honestly think skill levels like untrained,trained,expert, legendary.. appeared out of nowhere?

When Might and Magic has Untrained, trained, expert,master,grand master in skills..

Also Paizo's world lore is not iconic enough (imho) and having enroth continents and zones would be awesome.

Thirdly.. like I've mentioned.. the spells are very iconic and rememberable and could easily be added to Pathfinder.

Not to mention afew additional monsters that exist in M&M.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I think some people confuse HEROES of Might and Magic with Might and Magic.. two totally different game styles..


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Hasbro doesn't own Might and Magic.. I think Ubisoft does.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

The benefits are far more then a "card game" the lore and game mechanics alone will be a boon to Pathfinder Second Edition

If I was able to share a pdf of the Might and Magic 7 For Blood and Honour (MM6 is technically a better game but MM7 has better mechanics)


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I'm an old geek that loves both Pathfinder and Might and Magic franchises.

And since Hasbro owns Magic the Gathering and D&D.. I feel Paizo should buy Might & Magic(TM) or the reverse being bought buy the company that owns Might and Magic.

The laws and game styles are very similar (current skill systems using untrained,trained,Expert)

Imagine Grand Master skills in Pathfinder!

Secondly potions.. alchemy is a big thing in both Pathfinder and Might and Magic.. imagine curing blindness or scared ect with potions... And imagine black potions adding permanent stat bonuses in pathfinder.. or coloured barrels in pathfinder.

Not to mention the extra monsters and spells like "hour of power" and "devine intervention" "scrapmetal" "Armageddon" "soulsteal".. if Paizo bought the rights to Might and Magic franchises then Paizo could be number one not second in TTRPG's

What do you think?