New Battlezoo Kickstarter Campaign

Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Paizo has many partners who produce content under a variety of licenses, including media partners like Roll for Combat, who—in addition to streaming high quality Pathfinder and Starfinder actual-play podcasts and running the RPG Superstar design talent competition—publish their own line of Pathfinder Second Edition rulebooks and adventures under the Battlezoo brand. Check out this overview of their newest Kickstarter crowdfunding campaign from Roll for Combat’s Director of Game Design, Mark Seifter!

An eldamon trainer shopping with her eldamon friends: an air bat, fire squirrel, and death dog.

An eldamon trainer shopping with her eldamon friends: an air bat, fire squirrel, and death dog.
Illustration by Hazem Ameen © Roll for Combat

Befriend, Train, Battle, and Evolve!

Hi everyone, Mark Seifter here. I’m excited to announce a new Kickstarter from Roll for Combat, which went live today at http://kickstarter.rollforcombat.com! The Kickstarter features three exciting sourcebooks described below!

Battlezoo Eldamon lets you befriend, train, battle, and evolve ancient and playful monsters based on 10–20 elemental types, such as fire, ice, death, and possibly even music and time! Eldamon are slightly out of phase with reality and like to meld into items, creatures, and locations. You can add them seamlessly into any setting, allowing characters to interact with and collect them without disrupting the established adventure or requiring the GM to rebuild or change encounters. Anyone can befriend eldamon and have them fight playful mock duels with each other, but only the eldamon trainer class can phase them into our world to use them in combat against deadly threats. Meanwhile, as an elemental avatar, you have a powerful but quiescent eldamon melded into you, allowing you to harness the power of their strange abilities! Battlezoo Eldamon is perfect for monster-training lovers of all ages. The rules are simple enough to offer a great way to introduce children to the game but deep enough to provide a variety of combinations for strategic players. In addition to the rulebook for Pathfinder, you can also get your hands on a card game called Eldamon Battles (offering players the chance to experience duels between eldamon quickly and strategically), plushies of six of the most common eldamon, battle minis, dice sets, leather notebooks, and more!

An eldamon trainer and elemental avatar enjoy a campfire with several eldamon friends.

An eldamon trainer and elemental avatar enjoy a campfire with several eldamon friends.
Illustration by Miguel Regodon Harkness. © Roll for Combat

Battlezoo Ancestries: Year of Monsters sends a monstrous new ancestry to your inbox every month, plus a final compilation book at the end that collects all the ancestries and offers more additional content! Such ancestries include demons, gremlins, intelligent weapons, dungeons expanded (you can get the original dungeon ancestry for free, despite the stated price of 1 cent, at http://battlezoo.com), oni, nymphs, doppelgangers, minotaurs, slimes, sthenos, mimics, and sidhe. Each ancestry will receive roughly twice as much content as a standard size ancestry, such as those presented in the Core Rulebook or Lost Omens Ancestry Guide. Thanks to stretch goals, some of the ancestry options might expand even more!

Lastly, Battlezoo Bestiary Strange & Unusual is the result of the 2021 RPG Superstar contest, licensed from Paizo. It features 150 award-winning monsters, an expansion of the monster parts system from Battlezoo Bestiary, the aberrant soul archetype (an option for characters who are slowly transforming into aberrations), and more.

I’m very excited about these new projects, and I hope you’ll check out the Kickstarter at http://kickstarter.rollforcombat.com. Let me know which of these interests you in the comments below, and feel free to ask me any questions there as well!

Mark Seifter
Director of Game Design, Roll for Combat

Author Bio:
Mark Seifter is the director of game design at Roll for Combat and Paizo’s former design manager. He is also one of the four lead designers responsible for Pathfinder Second Edition. You can find him @markseifter on Twitter. Check out his Twitch stream with Linda Zayas-Palmer, Arcane Mark, Tuesdays at 7 p.m. Pacific and Saturdays at 10 a.m. Pacific at https://www.twitch.tv/arcanemark. Mark also appears regularly on the Roll for Combat Live Youtube stream with Stephen Glicker at https://www.youtube.com/c/RollForCombat/. Both shows cover a variety of RPG and Pathfinder topics! You can also join his discord at https://tiny.cc.arcanemark!

Back the Roll for Combat Kickstarter

More Paizo Blog.
Tags: Pathfinder Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

12 people marked this as a favorite.

Woo! So happy that this is live. I have an AMA active on the PF2 subreddit today too!

Paizo Employee Contributor-Subscriber-Venture Lieutenant

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I'm so excited about this! The Potfox looks adorable!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

All the plushies!


Eldamon made me groan and squee simultaneously and I choked. That's how you know they're good!

I'm also super hyped for getting to play a magical weapon. That's something I've always wanted to do.

RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I'm amused because I've had the idea floating around my head for years of having a magic item develop sapience and hijack the spare clone of a character. Hopefully the intelligent magic item will work for the idea!

I'll admit that I'm stoked for about half of the ancestries... the only one I really want that's missing is the ability to play an angel.


Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber

Was really mostly looking forward to the 12 Ancestries. Though I wasn't expecting them to be so expensive. Ended up pledging for PDFs for all 3 since it wasn't much more than just the 12 Ancestries.

No idea how to get the free dice case mentioned, hopefully didn't have to select one as an add on.

I am curious about how viable the Eldamon will be, or how much a character may change by being an Avatar for an Eldamon.

Now if only I could get into a game to play these options, or the Dragon.

Or possibly any game at all that doesn't die within the first few weeks.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Ryuujin-sama wrote:

Was really mostly looking forward to the 12 Ancestries. Though I wasn't expecting them to be so expensive. Ended up pledging for PDFs for all 3 since it wasn't much more than just the 12 Ancestries.

No idea how to get the free dice case mentioned, hopefully didn't have to select one as an add on.

I am curious about how viable the Eldamon will be, or how much a character may change by being an Avatar for an Eldamon.

Now if only I could get into a game to play these options, or the Dragon.

Or possibly any game at all that doesn't die within the first few weeks.

We're trying something very experimental with the 12 ancestries where they are part of a deluxe experience that includes the premium foundry module, the pdf, a monthly chat with the designers where you help to make design decisions and decide how to spend the extra pages in the compilation book, and a compilation book at the end. We were interested to see what people thought about that compared to the normal way of interacting with material. If it's popular, we might consider adding premium foundry modules automatically with future content as well (the other books don't have it automatically, you have to add it as an add-on).


5 people marked this as a favorite.
Cydeth wrote:

I'm amused because I've had the idea floating around my head for years of having a magic item develop sapience and hijack the spare clone of a character. Hopefully the intelligent magic item will work for the idea!

I'll admit that I'm stoked for about half of the ancestries... the only one I really want that's missing is the ability to play an angel.

Using someone's spare clone is pretty much square on for one of the heritages (where you found a body missing its mind for some reason, a clone is perfect for that). Angel was very close to making it in too! It would have been very needy on the stretch goals, though, I wanted to not have too many of them that I felt really needed to beat a stretch goal to breathe. I'm still interested in doing angels some day somehow!


Will the Eldamon/Bestiary books have Foundry support at any point? I'll probably buy the whole set of PDFs either way, but if they don't then things other than the ancestries will likely see significantly less play in my group.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Salamileg wrote:
Will the Eldamon/Bestiary books have Foundry support at any point? I'll probably buy the whole set of PDFs either way, but if they don't then things other than the ancestries will likely see significantly less play in my group.

Absolutely! All three have premium modules, but only the Year of Monsters has the premium foundry module already included (and factored into the price at a big discount since it's mandatory in the tier and tiers are all heavily discounted). You can get the premium foundry modules for both of the other two, from top PF2 foundry volunteer dev Ians (Spartan and tikael) as add-ons.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

Take all of my money!! D:<

Congrats on the launch. I hope we meet every goal!!


Really don't want a screw up, so can you provide me with instructions to get:
- Battlezoo Eldamon PDF
- Battlezoo Ancestries: Year of Monsters PDF
- Battlezoo Bestiary Strange & Unusual PDF
- All the FoundryVTT packs for all 3 PDFs

That is, the full digital solution PF2.

Like some of the physical items, yet they never arrive by me. We don't have postal service (stopped like 15 years ago).

Sczarni

Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber
Mark Seifter wrote:
Cydeth wrote:

I'm amused because I've had the idea floating around my head for years of having a magic item develop sapience and hijack the spare clone of a character. Hopefully the intelligent magic item will work for the idea!

I'll admit that I'm stoked for about half of the ancestries... the only one I really want that's missing is the ability to play an angel.

Using someone's spare clone is pretty much square on for one of the heritages (where you found a body missing its mind for some reason, a clone is perfect for that). Angel was very close to making it in too! It would have been very needy on the stretch goals, though, I wanted to not have too many of them that I felt really needed to beat a stretch goal to breathe. I'm still interested in doing angels some day somehow!

Can you have one where I can take over dead bodies/corpses? For the more macabre inclined..


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path Subscriber
DarkOne the Drow wrote:

Really don't want a screw up, so can you provide me with instructions to get:

- Battlezoo Eldamon PDF
- Battlezoo Ancestries: Year of Monsters PDF
- Battlezoo Bestiary Strange & Unusual PDF
- All the FoundryVTT packs for all 3 PDFs

That is, the full digital solution PF2.

Like some of the physical items, yet they never arrive by me. We don't have postal service (stopped like 15 years ago).

Looks like best option would be PDF everything tier, with the Bestiary and Eldamon Vtt add-on ($50).


6 people marked this as a favorite.
AnimatedPaper wrote:
DarkOne the Drow wrote:

Really don't want a screw up, so can you provide me with instructions to get:

- Battlezoo Eldamon PDF
- Battlezoo Ancestries: Year of Monsters PDF
- Battlezoo Bestiary Strange & Unusual PDF
- All the FoundryVTT packs for all 3 PDFs

That is, the full digital solution PF2.

Like some of the physical items, yet they never arrive by me. We don't have postal service (stopped like 15 years ago).

Looks like best option would be PDF everything tier, with the Bestiary and Eldamon Vtt add-on ($50).

I agree, that's the way to go. If you want hardcover version of that, the new $249 tier + VTT add-on will do it too.

Also... we funded in only just a bit over 24 hours. Huzzah!


Thanx for the info.

What are the differences between the digital assets and the VTT packages? Cause I see each book also comes with digital assets.

I am really just chasing after the tokens.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber
DarkOne the Drow wrote:

Thanx for the info.

What are the differences between the digital assets and the VTT packages? Cause I see each book also comes with digital assets.

I am really just chasing after the tokens.

Digital assets are the tokens and art pieces for you to do with what you wish, to import them yourself into whatever VTT or other program you got going on. The VTTs are already-packaged in modules on Foundry you can plug-and-play very easily, and already comes with the art included without any needed set-up.

So it's up to your preference. If you just want the token art, digital assets are the way to go. But if you wanna save time and play a lot on Foundry VTT, then try and pick up the VTT packs too!

Sczarni

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

I'm still curious what happens if a PC wields me as an intelligent weapon.

This should be addressed.. and hopefully not in a way that says, "a PC can't wield you."


Verzen wrote:

I'm still curious what happens if a PC wields me as an intelligent weapon.

This should be addressed.. and hopefully not in a way that says, "a PC can't wield you."

...or an existing friendly NPC who's not just some random schmuck.

...or an existing enemy who is just some random schmuck.

I suppose we have mount rules for starters....


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber
Verzen wrote:

I'm still curious what happens if a PC wields me as an intelligent weapon.

This should be addressed.. and hopefully not in a way that says, "a PC can't wield you."

Last I heard from Mark (either on a stream or in a Discord server, idk), I believe it was said it'd be akin to PCs riding other PCs. Don't quote me on that, though.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

That's exactly what he said. He intends to maybe try and make it a variant rule. The issue is that, as a PC, you are assumed to have agency over your own actions, and many abilities, especially martial ones, work off that assumption.

The basic rules and storyline for the Intelligent Weapon assumes that you are controlling the body of your NPC Wielder. When another PC gets involved, you now have to figure out which of you are in control. Whose abilities and stats take precedence? Allowing everything to work fully for both PC's creates the potential for becoming grossly overpowered.

I think a good way to handle it could be that a Weapon losses all Class abilities and statistics, but it's Ancestry Feats either still function or can be used by the PC wielding it (should it use actions).

I would also personally really enjoy having Ancestry Feats for them that specifically are made to function for a PC+PC build. Or even, if every Feat had a special clause or effect that comes online, instead of the base benefits, when another PC is wielding you.

I'm sure Mark will figure something out that is satisfying but balanced. Because, at the end of the day, he is going to ensure that it is balanced based on Pathfinder's standard.


Ly'ualdre wrote:

That's exactly what he said. He intends to maybe try and make it a variant rule. The issue is that, as a PC, you are assumed to have agency over your own actions, and many abilities, especially martial ones, work off that assumption.

The basic rules and storyline for the Intelligent Weapon assumes that you are controlling the body of your NPC Wielder. When another PC gets involved, you now have to figure out which of you are in control. Whose abilities and stats take precedence? Allowing everything to work fully for both PC's creates the potential for becoming grossly overpowered.

I think a good way to handle it could be that a Weapon losses all Class abilities and statistics, but it's Ancestry Feats either still function or can be used by the PC wielding it (should it use actions).

I would also personally really enjoy having Ancestry Feats for them that specifically are made to function for a PC+PC build. Or even, if every Feat had a special clause or effect that comes online, instead of the base benefits, when another PC is wielding you.

I'm sure Mark will figure something out that is satisfying but balanced. Because, at the end of the day, he is going to ensure that it is balanced based on Pathfinder's standard.

Yeah seems like an immobile, untargetable, buff bit, I could maybe see a focus caster type. It's focus spells grant buffs to the wielder's abilities during combat. Maybe some spells that give a reaction on your wielder's turn?


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

I might be wrong, but I don't believe you can get Focus Spells from Ancestries, which is what the Intelligent Weapon is going to be. That said, perhaps the idea of using reactions is a good step. After all, you always have a reaction, even when it isn't your turn. So perhaps Intelligent Weapons can have a Feat or several Feats that allow you to use your reaction if one another PC is wielding you, granting them some kind of buff or ability during their turn while utilizing you as a weapon. That seems like an interesting mechanic.

Like, on your allies turn, they spend an action to make a Strike, which triggers you Flametounge Feat, allowing you to used your reaction to ignite yourself and deal extra fire damage.


Pathfinder Pathfinder Accessories, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

I would back this for the Year of Monsters compilation and PDF, but it is not available separately. I very much do not want twelve books (pamphlets?) of 12-16 pages each just to get the compilation, especially not at the given price point of $99. Hopefully it will be available at some point.


6 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

You are purchasing the compilation, which will consist of 12 fully fleshed out monsters as playable Ancestries, with 2x to 3x the amount of rules content for each than was presented for even the Core Rulebook Ancestries at launch.

And that is just base content. Should they manage to meet all of their goals, they add not only an additional 13th Ancestry in the form of Centaurs, but they will be doubling (if not tripling) the amount of rules for each Ancestry, on top of what they are already presenting.

The acquisition of monthly files for each Ancestry is, frankly, a bonus. They by no means have to do that, and could make everyone wait an entire year (or longer) to get anything out of the whole thing. Additionally, the Foundry modules is automatically included as well.

I for one believe that is in-fact worth a $100 price point. Anything less would be undervaluing the hard work of the people behind this.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

I was discussing the intelligent weapon thing a bit with Mark on his reddit AMA, but the whole reddit format is a bit difficult for me to get my thoughts across. He made clear your party member would likely benefit from wielding you over their own weapon in certain situations, but you yourself would almost always prefer to be autonomous for the improved freedom and flexibility. He also said there's going to be a "you move yourself with magic rather than by the help of a 'host'" option.

What I hope for with the intelligent weapon ancestry is:

1. You are an item, and can be used as such, even if that means you don't get your full suite of abilities and actions while being wielded by someone else.

2. When used by another player as an item, you are better than a typical item available at your level.

3. There is a reasonable likelihood of choosing to be wielded by another player, either by ancestry feats that encourage it on occasion or because being wielded yields a combined combat effectiveness that isn't *so much* worse than being separate that it's too burdensome on the group to let happen.

I fear that building an intelligent weapon ancestry with self-sufficiency built in, especially by having a 'host' carry you around, will rapidly feel like just playing a dude with a sword once people are in the thick of play. I think it's important to tap into the item part of Pathfinder to keep it ever-noticeable that you're playing a weapon, and part of that is other players equipment loadout. I would like other players to be tantalized by the thought of being able to use a more-powerful-than-normal magic item if they needed to.

There are quite a few ways to implement "wielded mode", like making enemies flat footed to mimic flanking, allowing assists, and giving higher than normal runes all at the expense of possibly reducing your own actions. The space is wide open, I think.

I think it'd also be cool to be able to play a magic ring, staff, or wand, but that's a different matter.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

Technically, you can play a staff. But I know it isn't what you mean. Lol.

I think Mark will figure something out. Like you said, it is about making a viable option, but not making it better or worse than one or the other. As well as not making it cumbersome to function for either PC. I definitely feel like something needs to be lost while doing it, or that is functions in an other variant manner.

I would love an option that allows you to switch between weapon form and an alternate form; a la Soul Eater or similar media. Could have an ability or Feat that allows them to change parts of their body to wield themselves sorta deal.

Liberty's Edge

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Weapon Summoner wielded by their eidolon.


Does anyone know if it's possible to pledge for only the PDFs and none of the attendant addons? While I think it's awesome that there are tokens and modules for VTTs, I use a screen reader and can't see any of the art or tokens, and can't interact meaningfully with a VTT aside from using it as a fancy dice rolling app.


You could do it via add-ons, but the tiers are so discounted that you still save on them. For instance Eldamon + Bestiary pdf tier is $49 with some extras, while the individual pdfs would a few dollars cost more.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Mechanics aside, just having a free-floating weapon as a character is just hilarious. My group is playing Blood Lords next and I'll be the face. I'm split between psychic and gunslinger, but either way, just imagining some self-important dude being forced to talk to an animated object... let me paint you some scenes.

"Top Gun" is a 5kg 1.3m long unit of an arquebus. When talking to you, his barrel is pointed straight at your face, that should help things staying calm and collected. Intimidation checks are just him reloading while talking - the lock opens by itself, the powder floats up and so on - basically "reloads with malicious intent" XD.

Alternatively, the living weapon is a gunner's bandolier that's connected to 4 dueling pistols, which he uses to gesticulate. They are, of course, all loaded.

The psychic - probably a staff or something - is really tame compared to that XD

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder Second Edition / General Discussion / Paizo Blog: New Battlezoo Kickstarter Campaign All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.