Paizo Subscriptions Update

Friday, July 8th, 2022

It’s time to announce some changes to the Paizo Advantage program, add a few new subscriptions, and say goodbye to a few others.

Paizo Advantage Changes

We’re simplifying the way that you obtain your Paizo Advantage discount. Any four of these qualifying subscriptions will now get you the Paizo Advantage! The qualifying subscriptions include:

  • Pathfinder Rulebook (formerly Roleplaying Game)
  • Pathfinder Rulebook Special Edition
  • Pathfinder Lost Omens
  • Pathfinder Lost Omens Special Edition
  • Pathfinder Adventure Path
  • Pathfinder Adventure (formerly Modules)
  • Pathfinder Maps
  • Pathfinder Accessories
  • Starfinder Roleplaying Game
  • Starfinder Adventure Path
  • Stafinder Adventures
  • Starfinder Maps
  • Starfinder Accessories

*We previously posted in error that the Pathfinder Society and Starfinder Society PDF line will now count as a subscription for purposes of qualifying for the Paizo Advantage.

Once you’ve been charged for your fourth subscription line, you’ll save 15% on all Paizo products purchased on paizo.com. For more details and the fine print, check out the Paizo Subscriptions page and the FAQ.

Starfinder Adventure: Redshift Rally - by Jessica Catalan

New Subscription - Starfinder Adventure

If you're looking for galactic adventure, the Starfinder Adventure line has you covered! Each 64-page Starfinder Adventure presents a short but challenging adventure designed for 2-4 session games within the world of the Starfinder campaign setting. A Starfinder Adventure can be run as a one-shot adventure or woven into any ongoing Starfinder campaign.

The first product in this subscription line releases on July 27, 2022. Redshift Rally is a complete Starfinder adventure for 7th-level characters written by Jessica Catalan. Inside, you’ll find details on the history of the Absalom Run and its current competitors, a pair of weird alien creatures, new spells and vehicle upgrades, and a new archetype perfect for players with a need for speed!

You can expect to see 2-3 Starfinder adventures released for this product line each year.


Subscribe to the Starfinder Adventure Subscription Now


Pathfinder Special Edition: Lost Omens World Guide

New Subscription - Lost Omens Special Edition

With the Pathfinder Lost Omens Special Edition subscription, we'll ship you a deluxe edition of each new volume of the product line. Each special edition is bound in faux leather with metallic deboss cover elements and a bound-in ribbon bookmark.

Paizo releases Pathfinder Lost Omens Special Edition volumes quarterly, though you’ll see several monthly releases in 2022 and 2023 as we catch up with previous Lost Omens releases in the Special Edition format. The first Special Edition release this year will be Lost Omens World Guide on August 4th.


Subscribe to the Lost Omens Special Edition Subscription Now


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

While the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game remains in print, we don’t have any additional products planned for the line so we’re removing that subscription option. You can still get both the Pathfinder Adventure Game Core Set and Curse of the Crimson Throne Adventure Path expansion through paizo.com and your favorite local game store.

Pawns

We’re announcing the sunset of the pawn line for both Starfinder and Pathfinder. Paizo will keep the core pawns (Bestiaries for Pathfinder and Alien Archives for Starfinder) and the bases (Pathfinder Pawns: Base Assortment and Starfinder Pawns: Base Assortment) in stock for as long there’s enough demand, but they will no longer be part of a subscription. The Starfinder Accessories subscription continues as normal.

As always, thank you for supporting Paizo, and we look forward to gaming with you in 2022.

Good Gaming!

Jim Butler
President

More Paizo Blog.
Tags: Pathfinder Accessories Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Pathfinder Second Edition Starfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game
251 to 292 of 292 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>

1 person marked this as a favorite.
The Raven Black wrote:
TriOmegaZero wrote:

But we weren’t talking about VTTs or even just the TTRPG market. We were talking about the European Paizo customer market.

I’d love for them to grow it to the point they can afford a Europe-based warehouse. I don’t think they are there yet.

If they keep on thinking of the US as their true market and anything else to be coincidental benefits, they will never get there.

Word of mouth is the best form of advertising


2 people marked this as a favorite.
The Raven Black wrote:
TriOmegaZero wrote:

But we weren’t talking about VTTs or even just the TTRPG market. We were talking about the European Paizo customer market.

I’d love for them to grow it to the point they can afford a Europe-based warehouse. I don’t think they are there yet.

If they keep on thinking of the US as their true market and anything else to be coincidental benefits, they will never get there.

It's not about what they think, it's about reality. The reality is that Pathfinder is a D&D offshoot, and D&D has never been as popular in Europe as in the US. In each European country, D&D is a second or third fiddle to other fantasy RPGs - in Germany, DSA, in Poland, Warhammer Fantasy RPG, etc. I could write a small book on how that came to be, but a large factor here is that European RPG fans are statistically younger and less entrenched in nostalgia after 1970s and D&D sessions in Will's basement.

This is now slowly changing, thanks to ... the 5e, so reviled by many xcore Paizo fans :D A rising tide lifts all boats, and as 5e got D&D into places it wasn't before, so comes Pathfinder, riding on the new wave of popularity brought about by Critical Role, streamers and cosplayers. You know D&D is back when your local cosplay competition has people cosplaying as Critical Role characters winning one of top 3.

To make matters worse for European Paizo customers who sub from Paizo, the biggest markets in Europe - Germany, France, Italy, Spain - all have their localised editions of PF/SF, meaning that most of the people in those markets are served by those versions. Yes, some people swear by English original instead of translation or live in Netherlands or Poland, but that is a niche of a niche.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Just found out Games Workshop in UK is now selling D&D merch, presumably to draw in those filthy casuals and then try to flog them some tiny plastic elves, or whatever. Guess what they are not selling? I'll give you a clue, it rhymes with math binder.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
mikeawmids wrote:
Just found out Games Workshop in UK is now selling D&D merch, presumably to draw in those filthy casuals and then try to flog them some tiny plastic elves, or whatever. Guess what they are not selling? I'll give you a clue, it rhymes with math binder.

Pathfinder is a tiny speck compared to 5e or any Games Workshop product line, what else is new?

Also, I really hope that "filthy casuals" was an ironic display of the British sense of humour and not your actual assessment of what people play other games.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Totally Not Gorbacz wrote:
The Raven Black wrote:
TriOmegaZero wrote:

But we weren’t talking about VTTs or even just the TTRPG market. We were talking about the European Paizo customer market.

I’d love for them to grow it to the point they can afford a Europe-based warehouse. I don’t think they are there yet.

If they keep on thinking of the US as their true market and anything else to be coincidental benefits, they will never get there.

It's not about what they think, it's about reality. The reality is that Pathfinder is a D&D offshoot, and D&D has never been as popular in Europe as in the US. In each European country, D&D is a second or third fiddle to other fantasy RPGs - in Germany, DSA, in Poland, Warhammer Fantasy RPG, etc. I could write a small book on how that came to be, but a large factor here is that European RPG fans are statistically younger and less entrenched in nostalgia after 1970s and D&D sessions in Will's basement.

This is now slowly changing, thanks to ... the 5e, so reviled by many xcore Paizo fans :D A rising tide lifts all boats, and as 5e got D&D into places it wasn't before, so comes Pathfinder, riding on the new wave of popularity brought about by Critical Role, streamers and cosplayers. You know D&D is back when your local cosplay competition has people cosplaying as Critical Role characters winning one of top 3.

To make matters worse for European Paizo customers who sub from Paizo, the biggest markets in Europe - Germany, France, Italy, Spain - all have their localised editions of PF/SF, meaning that most of the people in those markets are served by those versions. Yes, some people swear by English original instead of translation or live in Netherlands or Poland, but that is a niche of a niche.

Actually, I agree with many of your statements here. Note though that I believe D&D has always been n°1 in UK and France.


The Raven Black wrote:
Totally Not Gorbacz wrote:
The Raven Black wrote:
TriOmegaZero wrote:

But we weren’t talking about VTTs or even just the TTRPG market. We were talking about the European Paizo customer market.

I’d love for them to grow it to the point they can afford a Europe-based warehouse. I don’t think they are there yet.

If they keep on thinking of the US as their true market and anything else to be coincidental benefits, they will never get there.

It's not about what they think, it's about reality. The reality is that Pathfinder is a D&D offshoot, and D&D has never been as popular in Europe as in the US. In each European country, D&D is a second or third fiddle to other fantasy RPGs - in Germany, DSA, in Poland, Warhammer Fantasy RPG, etc. I could write a small book on how that came to be, but a large factor here is that European RPG fans are statistically younger and less entrenched in nostalgia after 1970s and D&D sessions in Will's basement.

This is now slowly changing, thanks to ... the 5e, so reviled by many xcore Paizo fans :D A rising tide lifts all boats, and as 5e got D&D into places it wasn't before, so comes Pathfinder, riding on the new wave of popularity brought about by Critical Role, streamers and cosplayers. You know D&D is back when your local cosplay competition has people cosplaying as Critical Role characters winning one of top 3.

To make matters worse for European Paizo customers who sub from Paizo, the biggest markets in Europe - Germany, France, Italy, Spain - all have their localised editions of PF/SF, meaning that most of the people in those markets are served by those versions. Yes, some people swear by English original instead of translation or live in Netherlands or Poland, but that is a niche of a niche.

Actually, I agree with many of your statements here. Note though that I believe D&D has always been n°1 in UK and France.

I think it had some very stiff competition in UK, not the least from Warhammer and Runequest.

France, I have no idea, it's a mystery land for me as far as RPGs are concerned :)


3 people marked this as a favorite.

I can confirm that people from France are familiar with D&D, or at least the french exchange students that lived with us every summer played it or knew people that did.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path Subscriber
Steve Geddes wrote:


For sure. Me too. Ironically, those people whose purchasing patterns won’t change much aren’t relevant to the decision though. Even though that cohort is likely to be most satisfied with the change.

Some pdf-only customers will buy more and that increase in sales is what matters. Some print sales will drop - that’s the two groups that are relevant.

Another point to bring up: while having a pdf option would be pure convenience for me, from Paizo’s perspective, having that additional verifiable subscription number rather than sakes number estimate makes them look better as a company and makes budgeting and capitalization easier.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
AnimatedPaper wrote:
Steve Geddes wrote:


For sure. Me too. Ironically, those people whose purchasing patterns won’t change much aren’t relevant to the decision though. Even though that cohort is likely to be most satisfied with the change.

Some pdf-only customers will buy more and that increase in sales is what matters. Some print sales will drop - that’s the two groups that are relevant.

Another point to bring up: while having a pdf option would be pure convenience for me, from Paizo’s perspective, having that additional verifiable subscription number rather than sakes number estimate makes them look better as a company and makes budgeting and capitalization easier.

Would that be the same if they had a pdf only subscription?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

The reason they do not have PDF subscriptions....

No PDF subscription


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Papa-DRB wrote:

The reason they do not have PDF subscriptions....

No PDF subscription

I wonder if they would revisit, that post is over a decade old.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber; Starfinder Superscriber

What has changed since then?


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Papa-DRB wrote:

The reason they do not have PDF subscriptions....

No PDF subscription

That post is about why they don't sell PDFs through retailers and why they don't do subscriptions through retailers. None of it is about why they don't do PDF-only subscriptions.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Maps, Starfinder Maps Subscriber

Vic Wertz has commented on this topic lots over the years (though not for a while). His posts are a useful place to look.

It’s not the best I remember, but this post gives a quick-and-dirty overview of the main issue.

If you’ve got the energy to go searching through his post history he was really generous with his time over the years explaining what the issues are in depth.

Paizo Employee Marketing & Media Manager

8 people marked this as a favorite.

Thanks for all your feedback. Demand for a PDF subscription is loud and clear. New leadership opens up new possibilities, but Paizo has nothing to announce regarding it at this time. Please table the topic of conversation.

Liberty's Edge

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Leon Aquilla wrote:

What has changed since then?

Life, the Universe and Everything.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Pathfinder Accessories, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Ten years ago does feel like a very different world.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Paizo radically changes their game and alienates half of their core fan base. Those die-hards who are left already have 10+ years worth of accessories, so we don’t all feel like we need more pawns of kobolds, even if they do look different now. So Paizo kills product lines we love but that don’t generate profit anymore and add new lines that generate revenue but that only the die-hardest of die-hards (the only people left) will buy — things like special edition versions of all of their hard cover lines. Again, this is a result of choosing to hard reboot the game, and turn over the bulk of their creative staff.

Silver Crusade

17 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Pathfinder Accessories, Pawns, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

That's very much not the case buddy.

Silver Crusade

3 people marked this as a favorite.

Also, "how dare you not continue to lose money" is not the gotcha you think it is.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path Subscriber
Terevalis Unctio of House Mysti wrote:
AnimatedPaper wrote:
Steve Geddes wrote:


For sure. Me too. Ironically, those people whose purchasing patterns won’t change much aren’t relevant to the decision though. Even though that cohort is likely to be most satisfied with the change.

Some pdf-only customers will buy more and that increase in sales is what matters. Some print sales will drop - that’s the two groups that are relevant.

Another point to bring up: while having a pdf option would be pure convenience for me, from Paizo’s perspective, having that additional verifiable subscription number rather than sakes number estimate makes them look better as a company and makes budgeting and capitalization easier.
Would that be the same if they had a pdf only subscription?

Yes. That's exactly the point I was making in the post. Having a verifiable subscription number, as in an amount they can count on making each month on these products, makes them look better from a financial standpoint. Even if they sell the same number of PDFs to the same people each month (which wouldn't be the case), being able to point to a subscription number instead of a projection based on past sales makes them look stronger financially.

Paizo Employee Marketing & Media Manager

6 people marked this as a favorite.

Re: a PDF-only subscription

We hear you and thank you for your input. While we have nothing to announce at this time we do have a new leadership who might explore new ideas and opportunities. It’s an exciting time for innovation and the challenges of change at Paizo.

Adventures Ahead


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

I recognize i'm a while late to the party, i just stumbled on this blog when i went looking for pawn sets for an upcoming campaign.

I'm not sure where else to say how extremely disappointed I am that paizo is discontinuing their Pawns line. These products are one of the primary tools that make running pathfinder 2e as a gm easier. The companion pawn set is one of the key aspects for me for running a Paizo adventure path, having pawns of unique creatures and villains found in the AP. Without the pawns the pair with bestiary, i'm honestly not sure buying the bestiary is worth the investment, without a pawn available i'm very unlikely to include monsters from a new bestiary in anything to plan myself.

Is there any more information on what is driving this decision? Are there any plans to adjust AP PDFs or sell art assets in a format conducive to printing my own pawns?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber; Starfinder Superscriber
Quote:
Is there any more information on what is driving this decision?

Price of paper and printing is going up, not enough people are purchasing pawnsets.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Or in other words, to have the expected ROI on pawns, Paizo would have to rise prices to the point where the customers would balk.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Leon Aquilla wrote:
Quote:
Is there any more information on what is driving this decision?
Price of paper and printing is going up, not enough people are purchasing pawnsets.

Yea that seems to be the case, after having gone back and read the thread. It's a shame, pawn availability is something that sold me other products, and I guess being someone who has bought a pawn set for every AP and book available makes me a pretty serious outlier.

I also totally understand the business decision to delay announcing the cancelation of the line until the likely front end sales of the last few APS were already done. Had I known at the time there wouldn't be pawns, I know I personally would have cancelled my AP subscription ahead of Strength of Thousands. Having a pawn set available made those products "I'll get this and maybe sell some players on running it" instead of "i'll buy these hard copy or PDF individually when and if I have players that really want to play it." It's hard not to feel tricked at having bought those products on the expectation, and having that rug pulled after the fact.

I'm sorry if i sound harsh compared to where the thread is. I'm still processing this news that has been hashed in this thread for a month, but it's a painful change to how I run my bi weekly pathfinder game that i'm still grappling with.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber; Starfinder Superscriber

Having subbed to pawnsets since as far back as Dawn of Flame I share your vexxation and definitely feel this is a blow to those of us who don't do VTT. I've purchased all the prior pawnsets off Amazon in order to fill those I didn't sub to because hey, never know when I might need some generic sci-fi character in some future game in another system.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure, Lost Omens, Pawns, Rulebook Subscriber

It looks like the Starfinder pawns sold even worse than the Pathfinder ones, as every set is still in stock. I never needed them given my lack of Starfinder play after launch, but maybe I should pick them up just in case.


Pathfinder Maps, Starfinder Maps Subscriber
TriOmegaZero wrote:
It looks like the Starfinder pawns sold even worse than the Pathfinder ones, as every set is still in stock. I never needed them given my lack of Starfinder play after launch, but maybe I should pick them up just in case.

I always found that odd since fantasy minis are so readily available but science-fantasy figures are much rarer (at the correct scale, anyhow).

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure, Lost Omens, Pawns, Rulebook Subscriber

I've always seen a sharp difference in interest for sci-fi games versus fantasy games. I'm guilty of it myself, but hopefully Starfinder has helped change that a little. Thinking about it, I should get on running more SFS.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber; Starfinder Superscriber
Steve Geddes wrote:


I always found that odd since fantasy minis are so readily available but science-fantasy figures are much rarer (at the correct scale, anyhow).

Most people lack that kind of vision to say "Oh hey, this flipmat/pawn isn't just useful in (game system), but could be applied to all sorts of things!"


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path Subscriber
Aaron Shanks wrote:

Re: a PDF-only subscription

We hear you and thank you for your input. While we have nothing to announce at this time we do have a new leadership who might explore new ideas and opportunities. It’s an exciting time for innovation and the challenges of change at Paizo.

Adventures Ahead

Two final comments I'd like to make on this topic.

Ideally, these PDFs lines would not only encompass the current subscription lines, but also have separate subscriptions to Bounties and One Shots. I'm not sure how feasible a One-shot sub would be, but the bounties certainly now seem regular and reliable enough to justify a new subscription.

I would also not be upset if the pdf subs did not qualify one for the free society adventures, though of course I would dearly love if they did. Moreover, I would view positively if my legacy advantage carried over if I switch my AP sub to a PDF AP sub, but again I would understand if that was not the case.

Either way, for me, the positives of gaining a PDF sub would far outweigh the negatives of losing various incentives you offer, but if they DID count, I would be incentivized to buy more, possibly including lines I've *never* subscribed to.

I won't claim to know (or even have a good guess) how true that would be for most people, but I thought I'd offer my thoughts as a data point.

Acquisitives

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Wzrd wrote:
Due to the cost of international shipping, I would had of loved to see the ability to subscribe to just the PDFs.

me too. As an Australian, I feel I'm making the Shipping Company rich instead of Paizo.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Society Subscriber

I would certainly buy pdf versions (and have) of the Pawns as a great accessory to the AP's. The cost of shipping to Australia makes me balk at the physical product, but I would buy the pdf in a heartbeat.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

Just got caught up on the news and found the correct thread.

Really disappointed at the end of Paizo's pawn collections. I'm sure you guys ran the numbers and all but they were a large incentive for running APs for me and passing around the pawns whenever I introduced a new enemy or NPC was a lot of fun.

Grand Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Maps, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Superscriber

Sad to see the end of the pawn collections. They are so convenient when doing the whole 'travelling GM' thing. I take it there's probably no way to justify continuing to put together the .pdf of the pawns so we can DIY them, is there? I mean, most of the art is there, but especially for NPCs it's nice to have full body shots.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I just got in the expected shipping costs for the next quater, and, well, they're still climbing.

So after various work re-arrangements, I've also sadly sent an email off to Paizo CS today to end my subs.

The squeeze is real.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Personally as a new GM to 2E but long-time player the discontinuation of the pawns line has seriously impacted my confidence in Paizo as a brand and my willingness to put money into the game in general. I have a full bookshelf of Pathfinder books already, but knowing not to expect supporting materials on top of Paizo's continued unwillingness to partner with FLGS or regional suppliers in any way to mitigate the ridiculous international shipping costs of subscriptions is really disheartening. Yes, the primary audience of the game is in the US, but Paizo is also actively making the choice to keep it that way.

Silver Crusade

2 people marked this as a favorite.

And your solution would be?


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Rysky wrote:
And your solution would be?

For the pawns? If it's truly an issue with the cost of the physical media, offer a digital alternative, whether that be new pawn pdfs, tokens, or simply committing to including art of all new creatures in the APs that feature them so we can make our own.

For shipping? This I will admit is hearsay, but according to those retailers I have spoken to, Paizo have been approached with on multiple occasions by stores and distributors outside the US and the reply has remained the same: that alternative options like bundling orders and subscriptions, con pick-ups and such are something they are only willing to do in the contiguous US.

That said, these things are obviously more complex than any of us in the hobby but outside the industry can possibly know (the art itself isn't free, etc), but also it's not our job as consumers to brainstorm these things. I'm not really interested in having that discussion, only in adding to the chorus of voices expressing discontent and explaining the reason for my own on the off chance someone with more control over these things sees people buying less of something and stops to ask why.

The long and short of it for me is that not having to make everything from scratch is the point of buying an AP; I'm perfectly capable of making my own tokens or miniatures and sourcing art but if I'm doing so anyway I'm more inclined to also write my own adventure.

Silver Crusade

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Just for openness, I'd think making them PDF only would be a way to go, but like you said neither of us have the logistics on whether that would help them still.

For the shipping, I'd chalk it up to complexity, taxes, and just cost in general, the pawns weren't very profitable to begin with after all, they were more advertising if I recall the conversation correctly.

Paizo Employee Marketing & Media Manager

6 people marked this as a favorite.

Thanks for your feedback. Paizo has an 80% new leadership team. The winds of change are blowing. We are reinventing ourselves and examining the old ways of doing things. Of course this takes time. Thanks for your passion and support.

251 to 292 of 292 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / Announcements / Paizo Blog: Paizo Subscriptions Update All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Announcements