Announcing Pathfinder Nexus - Unleash Your Hero Digitally!

Tuesday, October 26, 2021

We’re pleased to announce Paizo’s new partnership with Demiplane to create Pathfinder Nexus, an official digital toolset for Pathfinder Second Edition! Pathfinder Nexus aims to make every part of playing game sessions better, starting with sought-after tools like a game compendium, digital reader, character builder, and interactive digital character sheet, as well as a playspace with video chat that seamlessly integrates all the other tools. Demiplane has an extensive roadmap for Pathfinder Nexus, with new features to enhance play planned for years to come.


Pathfinder Nexus is set to release in early 2022. Visit www.PathfinderNexus.com to register an account, dive into the free Pathfinder Primer, or pre-order additional Pathfinder content for early access to the content in the digital reader and compendium, with more to come between now and the Pathfinder Nexus launch.

Join the discussion in the Demiplane Forums to share your feedback to help shape the future of Pathfinder Nexus. To stay informed on latest updates, follow Demiplane on Twitter (@DemiplaneRPG) or tune in to weekly Development Updates on Demiplane’s Twitch channel.

Adam Bradford
Chief Development Officer
Demiplane

More Paizo Blog.
Tags: Pathfinder Pathfinder Accessories Pathfinder Second Edition
151 to 178 of 178 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber
trevco613 wrote:
Mark or Aaron do you think Paizo will ever offer a subsrcibtion bundle that will include both the hardcover and Nexus availablity? I already have all of the books in hardcover and if I decided to give Nexus a try I don't want to have to cancel my subsribtions to Paizo just to maximize my savings.

All on board for that


7 people marked this as a favorite.

Just want to go against the grain here and say I don't need anything to be free just because I already bought the books. Make the product good and I'll buy it, simple as that.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
viemexis wrote:
Just want to go against the grain here and say I don't need anything to be free just because I already bought the books. Make the product good and I'll buy it, simple as that.

Good for you.

I've spend more than a thousand euro's already and I'm not persuaded by flashy lick of paint to spend hundreds more for stuff I ALREADY own. This is a sentiment I've seen shared on all spaces I've visited, so I'm not the only one feeling like this.

Demiplane needs to find a way to make this attractive to the existing current base or this site will be dead on arrival. Just look at HLO. that site has been available since the release of the system and barely has any users nor fame within the community. Nexus will suffer exactly the same fate as that site if they don't find a way to make it interesting for existing customers.

D&D Beyond worked because of the ecosystem created by WOTC, which is totally different from the PF2e ecosystem and the community surrounding it. A 1 to 1 copy will fail. Very few will recommend this to new players when AON and Pathbuilder/Wanderer's Guide are around and do the same thing for free, albeit less flashy.

This site will have the same popularity as HLO, minus those who already paid for HLO. Mind you, I don't think the site itself is bad or anything. But they need to find a way to convince the current players to use it if it wants to have longevity..

These issues are luckily not insurmountable. Most of us will be interested in this site for the character builder and manager. Either make that part of the app free or available for an interestingly priced subscription fee and many will flock to it.


Achantion wrote:
viemexis wrote:
Just want to go against the grain here and say I don't need anything to be free just because I already bought the books. Make the product good and I'll buy it, simple as that.

Good for you.

I've spend more than a thousand euro's already and I'm not persuaded by flashy lick of paint to spend hundreds more for stuff I ALREADY own. This is a sentiment I've seen shared on all spaces I've visited, so I'm not the only one feeling like this.

And viemexis is not the only one that not only appreciates the basic content that is delivered but also the form, ease of use and mobility of the service offered.

It is kind of the never ending battle between Linux and Windows and frankly I think both have their merits.


Starocotes wrote:
Achantion wrote:
viemexis wrote:
Just want to go against the grain here and say I don't need anything to be free just because I already bought the books. Make the product good and I'll buy it, simple as that.

Good for you.

I've spend more than a thousand euro's already and I'm not persuaded by flashy lick of paint to spend hundreds more for stuff I ALREADY own. This is a sentiment I've seen shared on all spaces I've visited, so I'm not the only one feeling like this.

And viemexis is not the only one that not only appreciates the basic content that is delivered but also the form, ease of use and mobility of the service offered.

It is kind of the never ending battle between Linux and Windows and frankly I think both have their merits.

That's why I provided a possible idea on how to fix this. The essence of my post is to offer a solution that is agreeable for both camps.

Which is kind of needed, because we have an example of a service where it didn't happen. But if you focus on only the first sentence of my post and ignore everything else it's not weird that you missed this.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, LO Special Edition, Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, Pawns, PF Special Edition, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

If you develop content or a feature that involves work beyond what was already delivered, you deserve to charge for that content. Just make sure it's representative of the amount of work that has gone into it.

I would MUCH rather pay either a low subscription fee ($3.99/month) to unlock features or a one time payment of like $50 for a software that is regularly updated and simply have any content that I've unlocked through Paizo's site be unlocked automatically.

Purchasing content that is available in a PDF I've already purchased is not something that I'll ever do. It's why I completely opted out of Hero Lab Online.

So long as you develop features that are attractive to me though, I'd consider trying out your software. Just likely won't ever unlock anything else on it if I already own it.


Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

So, I'm one of the people who use Hero Lab. I've dropped quite a bit of money into it, and I don't really see any reason to switch. I'm also a subscriber. Here is what _would_ make me switch:

1. A one time fee to give me access to all the books I already own on Paizo. A possible loss for you? Yes. But you're trying to get me to come over as a long term customer, right? You're trying to lure me away from another supported service. You want me to get my players to use it, which might get them to sign up and use it in their games, right?

You have to sweeten the pot in order to get me to jump, and a discount (which lines up with HLO's costs pretty closely) won't do it.

2. Integration into Roll20. Being able to export a character sheet directly from Nexus would be pretty darn sweet, and save me a lot of time. However, if it messes with the existing compendiums I have on Roll20, the deal is off.

3. Some sort of deal with Paizo when it comes to being a sub, because it _kinda_ feels like being punished for doing the thing they really want people to do. A deeper discount, maybe? Maybe an enhanced subscription option?

I know there's other features in Nexus, but... they honestly don't appeal to me. I have Discord for video chat. The shared notes might be neat, but not enough for me to move over, since Google Docs can do that too. I have zero need for matchmaking services since I don't do random groups, and I super duper don't want to be rated (even if it's not public).


I am not seeing any reason to switch from my HLO account to this. Herolab has a character generator that I know works, the one here has not been shown. My information is safe with HLO, this platform has not commented on how safe our information will be.

I get HLO for a fraction of the cost of the supposed discount that is being offered here.

Sorry. This does not look like a prudent spending on my part, but it is pretty.

Demiplane

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Terevalis Unctio of House Mysti wrote:

I am not seeing any reason to switch from my HLO account to this. Herolab has a character generator that I know works, the one here has not been shown. My information is safe with HLO, this platform has not commented on how safe our information will be.

I get HLO for a fraction of the cost of the supposed discount that is being offered here.

Sorry. This does not look like a prudent spending on my part, but it is pretty.

I'm a bit confused by the take here, but I will comment on two parts:

- You're absolutely right, you can't see a reason to switch from anything at this stage because it hasn't been shown and doesn't yet exist. You will be able to make an informed decision once we release character management for Pathfinder Nexus. You'll also be able to make that decision based on the full suite of tools that will be available beyond character management.

- You mention "this platform has not comment on how safe our information will be," but that's not accurate. We have a Privacy Policy that covers that user information is secure on our platform. I went back and looked to see what I missed, and I did not understand that your doxxing comments were directed at Demiplane/me. If what you are looking for is a comment specifically in this forum thread, then, yes, I can confirm that user information is safe on our platform and for more information, you can check out our Privacy Policy.

Thanks!

Paizo Employee VP of Marketing & Licensing

pennywit wrote:
Does this mean Paizo will discontinue its practice of providing content, etc. for Roll20 users?

The relationship with other Paizo licensees does not change. Roll20 continues to produce materials for Pathfinder Second Edition and Starfinder.

-Jim

Paizo Employee Director of Community

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Removed an off-topic post, as there are other avenues of communication for the information, and this thread is focused on Pathfinder Nexus. Thanks!


I’m in. I’ve signed up for early access. I’ll wait to really jump in till 2022 but I will be there when it launches.

I want a VTT.

I want Starfinder, too!

Now my question: How is it possible that any game company can not have an electronic character builder released at the same moment that a new rule set is released? Manpower should not be an excuse. At this point in our world this should be a part of initial game design.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Because book and adventure design and making a character building app and repository are two completely different things.

The App isn’t made by Paizo.


Rysky wrote:

Because book and adventure design and making a character building app and repository are two completely different things.

The App isn’t made by Paizo.

But from an "ecosystem" point of view, they shouldn't be. I agree with comments earlier that said this should have been part of the rollout of 2e two years ago. WOTC has had a similar problem. I want it all at launch! I'm just saying that at this point in the evolution of TTRPG's, we should be getting this from companies, especially larger ones...My players all want the game, VTT, and character builder at the same time.

Silver Crusade

3 people marked this as a favorite.

There’s not really any company that rolls out everything at launch, let alone companies in markets with slim margins like TTRPG, wanting all that stuff at launch would be too much for them to put out financially among other things.


8 people marked this as a favorite.

It's a like a repeat of all discussions before D&D Beyond - there's a lot of "I don't need it, got my books and pencil // too expensive // won't buy the same things twice // got HeroLab already" people and in the end D&D Beyond was a massive hit for WotC, so I guess Paizo can expect the same if they play their cards well.

However, I think HeroLab won't survive this, and I'm fine with that. Pathbuilder is safe - free, bare-bones but super easy to use, it's a different story from what Nexus is shaping up to be.

Scarab Sages

If I purchase resources on Nexus, will they be valid resources for Organized Play games?

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Pathfinder Accessories, Pawns, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

If you purchase it on Nexus, you get a PDF from Paizo as well, so yes.

Grand Lodge

Kurt Wasiluk wrote:
It all looks cool, but I need to understand better what this is giving me that I don't already get through Nethys and HeroLab Online. I've invested a lot in HeroLab already so it would be hard to rebuy a bunch of books.

This. Nexus is 2 years too late. Asking me to rebuy content that I've already bought on Paizo and Herolab Online is kind of a non-starter for me. I understand that Nexus is run by a separate company, they have a licensing agreement with Paizo and need to be paid. If this was around in Fall 2019 and was positioned as an alternative to HeroLab then, I would have given it a serious look. Even then, every product on Nexus is $5 more than the same product on HeroLab Online (both with the Paizo discount for already owning it).

If Paizo wants this to be a success, I would suggest some type of model for deeper subsidies for content purchased on Paizo.com prior to Nexus' release date, then the standard Paizo discount for content purchase on Paizo after this.

Horizon Hunters

Paizo Superscriber; Pathfinder Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Superscriber
Aaron Shanks wrote:
Indeed, our internal VTT initiatives continue separately from our partnership with Demiplane.

Thanks for this info. The whole argument to move to a non-Paizo solution is now moot.

Even if it is years before Paizo makes its move, there is no point to waste financial resources on yet another solution beyond our currently established methodology for gaming.

Clearly this is aimed at new players and GMs.

Grand Lodge

Adam Bradford wrote:

I'm a bit confused by the take here, but I will comment on two parts:

- You're absolutely right, you can't see a reason to switch from anything at this stage because it hasn't been shown and doesn't yet exist. You will be able to make an informed decision once we release character management for Pathfinder Nexus. You'll also be able to make that decision based on the full suite of tools that will be available beyond character management.

- You mention "this platform has not comment on how safe our information will be," but that's not accurate. We have a Privacy Policy that covers that user information is secure on our platform. I went back and looked to see what I missed, and I did not understand that your doxxing comments were directed at Demiplane/me. If what you are looking for is a comment specifically in this forum thread, then, yes, I can confirm that user information is safe on our platform and for more information, you can check out our Privacy Policy.

Thanks!

Adam, I want to thank you for taking part in the discussion here and engaging directly with your customer base.

Since PF2e rolled out, my gaming group and I have used HeroLab Online and Warhorn to manage characters and find/sign up for games, respectively. Since the pandemic, we've also used Discord and VTTs (first r20 but for over a year Foundry VTT) to play remotely.

I have to admit, I don't 100% understand what Demiplane is trying to be - it seems like a potential replacement for HeroLab (for source and character management), Discord (for video/audio communication during games), Warhorn (for matchmaking), but not a full VTT. Having all those in one place is appealing, though as I and others have stated separately it may be a hard sell for people like my group who have invested heavily in HeroLab.

A relatively new site we've been using is RPGchronicles.net. It helps manage sign ups for games and also features automated generation of chronicle sheets and organized play reporting on Paizo.com. I haven't heard anything about Demiplane offering this type of ability (I know the service was just announced) but it has been a huge time saver for those of us who GM. If Demiplane had something similar, it would make it an easier sell for my gaming group.

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

Pathfinder Nexus is going to be much more value then Herolab however. It will also be a Reader (Be able to read the books word for word) a searchable compendium (Like AoN) and Character Builder / Manger / Character Sheet (Like Herolab).

The other stuff(video chat and match making) is what demiplane has been doing for a while, and yeah its kinda like a social network / gaming communication network, from I understand.

Grand Archive

Pathfinder Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

It will also be available for multiple systems. They recently announced the same "Nexus" treatment for World of Darkness. (TBH, that recent announcement feels much more needed, because WoD doesn't have an SRD.)
But at the same time, I'm a old PF2 player/GM, and I have not invested in HeroLab, but I'll probably do it for this because it looks much cleaner and useful for me.

Paizo Employee Marketing & Media Manager

Pathfinder Nexus Early Access Phase 2 Begins!

Introducing the Game Compendium, starting with Listings for Spells, Items, Creatures, Feats, and Backgrounds!

Register now to access these game mechanics for FREE, and keep an eye out for more soon!

http://pathfindernexus.com

Paizo Employee Marketing & Media Manager

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Pathfinder Nexus from Demiplane continues its Early Access development phase—now with standalone Adventures! Try LITTLE TROUBLE IN BIG ABSALOM for free!


Yep, I'm in early access but until the character sheet is up and running just a lurker for now, but looking pretty good so far!!

Just hope they down fall into the weeds as they pop up a lot of new systems they are/will be doing as of late until PF II (and Starfinder as they got full approval from Paizo for that to tackle as well at some point)

Tom


Mark Moreland wrote:
Yoshua wrote:
But it looks like to dive into this I will likely have to re buy a lot of content I already have across multiple platforms?

If you've already got the PDF for a book that you want the Nexus version of, through Paizo Connect, you can get the price of the PDF taken off the Nexus price, so you're just paying for the Nexus upgrade.

Conversely, if you but something on Nexus that you don't already own on PDF and your accounts are linked via Paizo Connect, you'll get the PDF added to your paizo.com downloads.

....but if you buy a physical book you get no discounts at all? :(

151 to 178 of 178 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / Licensed Products / General Discussion / Paizo Blog: Announcing Pathfinder Nexus - Unleash Your Hero Digitally! All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.