Community Use Policy Update

Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Paizo’s Community Use Policy is a living document, and we’ve taken the opportunity to update it to make it more clear in how you’re allowed to use Paizo content for all the amazing things you create. We’ll continue to update the CUP as new technologies and opportunities come along.

There isn’t much of a change between the new policy and the previous one, but we hope that the reorganization and callouts for Twitch and YouTube make the policy easier to understand and encourage you to share your excitement about our games in the communities most important to you.

Thanks again for your support of Paizo!

Jim Butler
VP of Marketing & Licensing

More Paizo Blog.
Tags: Community Use Policy Paizo

Huzzah!


Question.

I'm practicing drawing fantasy maps and have been doing some versions of Paizo maps: various parts of the inner sea region, Sandpoint, various encounter maps. I post them to my Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter accounts (@dastels on all 3). I tag it with #paizo and identify what the map is of (e.g. Varisia, Sandpoint, Catacombs of Wrath, etc.).

Is this cool?

Is there anything else I should do when posting this material (e.g. a more complete "Copyright Paizo, etc etc" notice)?


So what, exactly, has changed? For those of us who rely on the terms of this agreement to operate legally, every word matters.


Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Lost Omens Subscriber
dastels wrote:

have been doing some versions of Paizo maps: various parts of the inner sea region, Sandpoint, various encounter maps

<snip>

Is there anything else I should do when posting this material (e.g. a more complete "Copyright Paizo, etc etc" notice)?

If you are using Paizo's intellectual property, then you have to follow ALL the rules on that page, including all the notices that they require, and what changes you can make to their IP.

It's a bit more complicated than "Copyright Paizo", but the page is pretty readable and easy to follow.


CrystalSeas wrote:
dastels wrote:

have been doing some versions of Paizo maps: various parts of the inner sea region, Sandpoint, various encounter maps

<snip>

Is there anything else I should do when posting this material (e.g. a more complete "Copyright Paizo, etc etc" notice)?

If you are using Paizo's intellectual property, then you have to follow ALL the rules on that page, including all the notices that they require, and what changes you can make to their IP.

It's a bit more complicated than "Copyright Paizo", but the page is pretty readable and easy to follow.

That's doable.


I think I'm covered by

"you may create your own interpretations of material presented in our artwork and maps, provided that your interpretations don't look substantially similar to our materials."

Paizo Employee VP of Marketing & Licensing

Shrink Laureate wrote:
So what, exactly, has changed? For those of us who rely on the terms of this agreement to operate legally, every word matters.

You should review the agreement with the legal professional you first consulted when you started under the old agreement. There are certainly changes here (making clear the permission granted for Twitch and YouTube, clarifying advertising revenues, restricting pay walls, and so on).

We've also made other changes that might impact how you split your business interests between Community Use (where you descriptively reference our IP) and the Compatibility License (where you can't reference our IP), and what can happen if you cross those streams.

Other changes could be present that impact your creative efforts, so please review it carefully.

Good Gaming!

-Jim

Silver Crusade

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

You know what would be great?

A CUP gallery of art that has appeared in the blogs which are available to use as part of the CUP. Perhaps with tags. Bonus, it would probably be invaluable for GMs who want to use the art to make tokens, or us as NPC art, or custom campaign player's guides.

Developer

8 people marked this as a favorite.
DM_aka_Dudemeister wrote:

You know what would be great?

A CUP gallery of art that has appeared in the blogs which are available to use as part of the CUP. Perhaps with tags. Bonus, it would probably be invaluable for GMs who want to use the art to make tokens, or us as NPC art, or custom campaign player's guides.

For my own CUP use, I usually go here.

It's where I found the images for the things I put up at WelbyBumpus.com, my free CUP product site.

Grand Archive

Pathfinder Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Ron Lundeen wrote:
DM_aka_Dudemeister wrote:

You know what would be great?

A CUP gallery of art that has appeared in the blogs which are available to use as part of the CUP. Perhaps with tags. Bonus, it would probably be invaluable for GMs who want to use the art to make tokens, or us as NPC art, or custom campaign player's guides.

For my own CUP use, I usually go here.

It's where I found the images for the things I put up at WelbyBumpus.com, my free CUP product site.

Oh nice! That’s an awesome find!

Sovereign Court

Ron Lundeen wrote:
DM_aka_Dudemeister wrote:


It's where I found the images for the things I put up at WelbyBumpus.com, my free CUP product site.

Awesome stuff any chance of any 1st edition stuff showing up here?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Ron Lundeen wrote:
DM_aka_Dudemeister wrote:

You know what would be great?

A CUP gallery of art that has appeared in the blogs which are available to use as part of the CUP. Perhaps with tags. Bonus, it would probably be invaluable for GMs who want to use the art to make tokens, or us as NPC art, or custom campaign player's guides.

For my own CUP use, I usually go here.

It's where I found the images for the things I put up at WelbyBumpus.com, my free CUP product site.

You're a legend, I did not know this existed, and I'm definitely gonna add these to the ol' bookmarks.


The indemnification clause is new.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Nice to make advertising and donations explicit - good inclusion.

There’s a bit of a trap as it calls out that Patreon is an acceptable platform, but that doesn’t mean the “free for everyone” clause doesn’t apply. So any “patron only” content can’t use Paizo IP.

Paizo Employee Marketing & Media Manager

Steve Geddes wrote:

Nice to make advertising and donations explicit - good inclusion.

There’s a bit of a trap as it calls out that Patreon is an acceptable platform, but that doesn’t mean the “free for everyone” clause doesn’t apply. So any “patron only” content can’t use Paizo IP.

If it’s a trap it’s not intentional. Paizo IP content must be free. Patreon can be used to collect funds from fans, but Paizo IP can’t be a part of reward tiers. You can’t put it behind a paywall.


Oh of course!

I didn’t mean a deliberate trap, just something you could screw up if you don’t read carefully (or I could see someone get into the habit of using Patreon properly then accidentally include a Paizo module as an exclusive one off for patrons or something).

Paizo Employee Marketing & Media Manager

Actually, I’m glad you brought it up because it is a frequently asked question.

Paizo Employee VP of Marketing & Licensing

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Thanks again for all of your feedback. We've made a few more clarifications:

1.) Further detailed the annoyance restrictions, especially as they relate to product downloads.

"a. Free doesn’t just mean free from payment, it also means free from hassle. You can’t require survey completions, gate access behind downloads of unrelated products, require opting in to email lists (unless the entirety of your project is only available in email form), or other unnecessary annoyances as a requirement to access your project. You can’t lock your content behind a paywall of any sort."

2.) A slight rewording around crediting authors and artists.

"If the Paizo Material you're using clearly credits its authors or artists, you must reproduce that credit."

3.) A more explicit callout granting permission to use Paizo products in your livestreams and performances.

"● You may use artwork and maps from Paizo products listed in Section 1 of our Community Use Approved Product List on Twitch, YouTube, and similar platforms during performances and live streams of adventures, scenarios, and Adventure Paths."

Thanks again for your feedback, everyone!

Good Gaming!

Jim


Is it my imagination or didn't the PF Chronicles and Campaign Settings line of books appear in Section 1 of the CUP up to recently?


What about mentioning things from adventures, scenarios, and Adventure Paths?


Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Lost Omens Subscriber
Laclale♪ wrote:
What about mentioning things from adventures, scenarios, and Adventure Paths?

If the publication is not on the approved list, you cannot use that material.


CrystalSeas wrote:
Laclale♪ wrote:
What about mentioning things from adventures, scenarios, and Adventure Paths?
If the publication is not on the approved list, you cannot use that material.

Just say included or not in here.

Community / Forums / Paizo / Community Use / Paizo Blog: Community Use Policy Update All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Community Use