PaizoCon Online Will Be Scheduled For May 26-31

Monday, April 27, 2020

Get ready to stay safe at home as you play awesome Pathfinder and Starfinder games with friends around the world!

Paizo is excited to announce that PaizoCon 2020 will be online! The annual game convention of all-things-Paizo, originally scheduled for Memorial Day Weekend in Seattle, will fall-back, regroup, and expand to six days of gaming at a safe social distance online May 26-31.

The event will include seminars and live-plays on Twitch, games scheduled via Warhorn and run on a variety of VTT platforms such as Roll20, Fantasy Grounds, Astral, and D20Pro, an official PaizoCon Online Discord server as a general hangout for con-goers, plus blogs on paizo.com, and more!

A PaizoCon Online 2020 homepage with schedules, game registration, and more details is scheduled to go live on May 1. Players can create a paizo.com account and get an organized play number in preparation today. GMs can sign up at Warhorn. For more information, email paizocononline@paizo.com.

Adventures Ahead!

Aaron Shanks
Marketing and Media Manager

More Paizo Blog.
Tags: Online Play Organized Play PaizoCon Pathfinder Adventure Card Game Pathfinder Adventure Card Society Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Pathfinder Second Edition Pathfinder Society Starfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Starfinder Society
101 to 150 of 374 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>
Sczarni

4 people marked this as a favorite.

Thank you for putting this on. It means a lot to a lot of people.

Question. I assume that, just as with an in-person game, a GM may refuse "seating" a player who has demonstrated a history of unprovoked, foul-mouthed, angry tirades and insults?

Not suggesting any particular poster in this thread may fall under that category, of course. Just asking.

Horizon Hunters

TriOmegaZero wrote:
Looking at the discussion so far, that appears to be unproductive and a waste of time. I wish you luck in achieving your goals.

Ah, I see. So, you couldn't explain your commentary -- why you stated, "You are mistaken." and/or what you meant by it specifically. So, instead, you decided to proclaim that this whole conversation was supposedly where I was attempting to get something done? lol Someone needs to learn to read; I made it plain that I was merely announcing what was going on in public here that's all; whatever happens (or doesn't) is Paizo's decision and it will be Paizo's decision whether the Feds get involved in this; Paizo was sent an email BEFORE I put a post on this forum.

Grand Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Lost Omens, Pawns, Rulebook Subscriber
Laarafel wrote:
Ah, I see. So, you couldn't explain your commentary -- why you stated, "You are mistaken." and/or what you meant by it specifically.

You are once again mistaken. And you continue to show why doing so would be unproductive.

Liberty's Edge

9 people marked this as a favorite.
Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories, PF Special Edition Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Laarafel I understand your frustrated but PaizoCon online was something I am sure was made in a short time span which means they had to work with what is available on short notice and for Game sign ups that is Warhorn.

If they had time they would have developed there own sign up system for the convention like they have in the past, but they don't have that time with the resources they have which is limited because everyone is working from home.

These are extraordinary situations which means they had to build this on a very short time frame.

Tonya already told you to contact her to find out from you how she can help. I would suggest you use that opportunity to work with her so you both can come up with ideas that could be done with the limited systems available and once something was worked out she could pass that information along to the general public for those who are in the same situation you are in.

Silver Crusade

6 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Nefreet wrote:

Thank you for putting this on. It means a lot to a lot of people.

Question. I assume that, just as with an in-person game, a GM may refuse "seating" a player who has demonstrated a history of unprovoked, foul-mouthed, angry tirades and insults?

Not suggesting any particular poster in this thread may fall under that category, of course. Just asking.

Hey, I thought we're friends!

Sczarni

6 people marked this as a favorite.

I don't recall you biting the hand that tried to help y... Well I take that back, you *are* a bag with teeth.

Silver Crusade

5 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Nefreet wrote:
I don't recall you biting the hand that tried to help y... Well I take that back, you *are* a bag with teeth.

Biting people *is* a sign of affection. Sort of...

Grand Lodge Premier Event Coordinator

37 people marked this as a favorite.

I am not a Paizo employee so I will not speak for them. However, I do have experience with the ADA as an architectural draftsman, university facility planning, and commercial/industrial electrician. Granted that is not specifically digital access, but I have read the entire ADA documentation and revisions, numerous times and I sympathize with anyone who requires its protections to be treated fairly.

Unlike the normal PaizoCon event which Paizo Publishing organizes, PaizoCon Online is largely being organized by a few, unpaid, volunteer organizers. The OPF does not employ anyone outside of the board of directors (not sure they technically count as employees) and our activities are not specifically covered under ADA law. However, we are an inclusive and welcoming organization and regularly encounter participants who ordinarily receive protections under the ADA. We are more than willing to work with and reasonably accommodate any challenges our participants might encounter. I myself have a disability and the OPF has been accommodating when I have encountered a challenge.

Our choice of Warhorn is based on it being (by far) the most commonly used online organizing tool by our community and we have numerous files and apps that integrate with it to provide a higher level of coordination efficiency. We are not a partner with them, we are merely a customer using their service so we cannot speak to their business practices or their compliance with any laws. Given the scope of their customers, I have to think that if they were intentionally discriminating or in violation of any federal statutes, they would already be shut down or in litigation, or both.

In any case, I will reiterate, we are more than happy to work with any member of the community facing any challenges trying to participate in PaizoCon or any other event organized by our community members. I am certain that we can work with anyone interested to find a reasonable accommodation so that they can enjoy organized play events along with the rest of the community. In addition to the email address provided in the blog, feel free to reach out to us at paizoconleads@gmail.com or eventteam@organizedplayfoundation.org or pfs.illinois@gmail.com (which is my former RVC email address) if there is anything that you require. Thank You.

Explore! Report! Cooperate!

Bob Jonquet
Premier Event Coordinator
Organized Play Foundation


4 people marked this as a favorite.

Thank you for the clarification Bob, and for all of your volunteer efforts. I too am certain that you can and are genuine in your desire to work with anyone interested to find a reasonable accommodation so that they can enjoy organized play events along with the rest of the community. All else would be folly.

I hope the event is able to bring all people together to cherish their shared love of gaming and the gaming community. To work against that would be folly.

A big thank you also to Tonya. Know that even though I am not affiliated with Paizo, PFS or SFS I read your posts and see the passion you have for bringing gamers together and enjoying that shared passion worldwide. To think otherwise of you Tonya would be, in my opinion, to be in error.


Will all the games be in English?

Grand Lodge Premier Event Coordinator

4 people marked this as a favorite.

That is entirely up to the GM. We are defaulting to English with our Warhorn listings for the sake convenience since our organizers are in the US. However, if a GM wants to run their game in an alternate language, it just needs to be added to the event description, just like which VTT they are using. Players can then chose their games based on relevant information.

Silver Crusade RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16

4 people marked this as a favorite.

In regards to games being run only in English, the online VO corps have a lot of experience with and volunteers for organizing games in other languages. If having a game run in your native language would make it easier for you, I'm sure they will attempt to accommodate as they can. You might consider emailing paizoconleads@gmail.com with your specific language requirements so that we can look into recruiting a GM in your region.
Thanks for being a part of the community!


3 people marked this as a favorite.

Agreed. If there is anything the online VOs can do to help facilitate getting more people online to join in, please don’t hesitate to let us know :) we are here to help! We also have have lots of games run daily, if you would like some games before the con to get to grips with any tech etc :)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Laarafel wrote:
Hell, that's why I was able to predict that this would happen months before it did happen and told people connected to Paizo to not use Warhorn in relationship to events like a Con or this would invariable occur.

Just out of interest, what is wrong with Warhorn?


Amazing! I will finally be able to attend Paizo Con. And it is even right in the timeframe UKGE would have been, so I already have leave time approved for that :)

I will be GMing and playing a lot then, I guess. In either english or, if people prefer that, german.


Pathfinder Adventure, Card Game Subscriber
GM GK wrote:
cartmanbeck wrote:
I'm so excited for this event. The Pathfinder Adventure Card Game is going to have a large showing at this event! More details to come soon, but we are planning to run several special ACG events during the convention!
Will there be a way to play if someone has never played the ACG before?

There are usually intro/demo sessions for exactly this purpose at conventions. I've personally run such sessions before and would be willing to do so again.

We're always looking for more folks to join the PACG community, and I love showing off my favorite game to new purple.

Silver Crusade RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16

1 person marked this as a favorite.
eddiephlash wrote:
GM GK wrote:
cartmanbeck wrote:
I'm so excited for this event. The Pathfinder Adventure Card Game is going to have a large showing at this event! More details to come soon, but we are planning to run several special ACG events during the convention!
Will there be a way to play if someone has never played the ACG before?

There are usually intro/demo sessions for exactly this purpose at conventions. I've personally run such sessions before and would be willing to do so again.

We're always looking for more folks to join the PACG community, and I love showing off my favorite game to new purple.

Or green or blue, or any other monster skin tone. :-P

We will definitely be running sessions of A Night at Bloodthorne Manor as demos meant for people new to PACG, virtual tabletop environments, or both. Most of our other scheduled games will have an expectation of some previous experience with PACG, at least.

Grand Lodge

I'm looking so forward to this! Going to be a hoot!


Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber
cartmanbeck wrote:
eddiephlash wrote:
GM GK wrote:
cartmanbeck wrote:
I'm so excited for this event. The Pathfinder Adventure Card Game is going to have a large showing at this event! More details to come soon, but we are planning to run several special ACG events during the convention!
Will there be a way to play if someone has never played the ACG before?

There are usually intro/demo sessions for exactly this purpose at conventions. I've personally run such sessions before and would be willing to do so again.

We're always looking for more folks to join the PACG community, and I love showing off my favorite game to new purple.

Or green or blue, or any other monster skin tone. :-P

We will definitely be running sessions of A Night at Bloodthorne Manor as demos meant for people new to PACG, virtual tabletop environments, or both. Most of our other scheduled games will have an expectation of some previous experience with PACG, at least.

Definitely looking forward to some online card game action! I am curious to see what form it takes. I've done Play by Post. I've used Roll20 and Fantasy grounds for RPGs, but not the card game. I own TableTop sim, but have never actually used it.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens Subscriber
Shifty wrote:
Laarafel wrote:
Hell, that's why I was able to predict that this would happen months before it did happen and told people connected to Paizo to not use Warhorn in relationship to events like a Con or this would invariable occur.
Just out of interest, what is wrong with Warhorn?

It must be an issue with text-to-voice conversion for the blind. I'm guessing that VTTs also have this problem.

Horizon Hunters

Dragnmoon wrote:

Laarafel I understand your frustrated but PaizoCon online was something I am sure was made in a short time span which means they had to work with what is available on short notice and for Game sign ups that is Warhorn.

If they had time they would have developed there own sign up system for the convention like they have in the past, but they don't have that time with the resources they have which is limited because everyone is working from home.

These are extraordinary situations which means they had to build this on a very short time frame.

Tonya already told you to contact her to find out from you how she can help. I would suggest you use that opportunity to work with her so you both can come up with ideas that could be done with the limited systems available and once something was worked out she could pass that information along to the general public for those who are in the same situation you are in.

Actually, the past two online Cons (which Paizo has done) were dealt with via Google sheets not Warhorn; so, in short, you are mistaken. There is an alternative and it's an alternative that they've used and it's accessible. The reality is that Paizo could have done a variety of things: 1. postponed the event until such time as they were ready to put it on properly; 2. utilized the online formats that they already have used in the past; 3. began looking at alternative online vendors that were ADA compliant and gotten a contract for fulfillment of procurement between the time that this pandemic started AND now (its not like pandemics end overnight; this wasn't going away in a month or two and, while the President might have been touting that, no one in the medical and scientific fields was -- which means Paizo should have/could have been preparing from day one of lockdown which wasn't weeks ago).... And, since I have a background in putting together events -- yes, I've actually done event planning for large events before, I know how much time and effort is involved in the initial planning; however, we aren't talking about starting from scratch; we're talking about moving from one venue to another; it's a large task, to be sure, but not something that requires eons of time and prep if one has done one's homework and pre-planning for contingencies which, if you're doing an event like this... you should be thinking contingencies, have a "how to" list in place and know the when, where and how to get from point A to point B. If I'm getting "We don't know how" from Tonya about the ADA that means they had know plan because they didn't even know the law, pure and simple.... and we're talking about a law that's over 20 years old. Since they just put on 2 online events that used Google sheets, the line that they have to use Warhorn falls a little flat.

And, as I stated already to Zero, I've already contacted Paizo -- BEFORE posting here on this forum. This was a public information post. So, let me be plain (since people seem to not understand what public information post means), I posted here to let people know that, if the plug gets pulled on this event suddenly or things get suddenly rearranged or postponed, you'll know why because I didn't feel it would be fair to pull the rug out on the general public and leave them going, "What the hell?" all because Paizo was acting inappropriately.

Or, are all of you saying you would prefer to have been left in the dark and, suddenly, Tonya got on here and said, "Sorry guys, the Cons been cancelled until further notice." No explanation because DOJ will tie their hands about saying anything (because any payback against me comes back to bite them).... Is that what I'm hearing is preferred? Because I can file the paperwork right now if that is the general consensus of the consumers of the product.

Liberty's Edge

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Starfinder Superscriber

I strongly suspect that if there are people who need individual help in registering for events, there are folks in the venture-officer corps who would be happy to help them register. Lots of people sometimes need at the very least some coaching on Warhorn, and I know that my local VO has sometimes signed people up for games who were having trouble using Warhorn themselves.

Perhaps this would be a better solution than threatening (or even following up on) shutting down the entire convention because the infrastructure isn't perfect?

A solution exists, even with the current infrastructure. Just use that! Doesn't that make a lot more sense than trying to make sure that nobody gets an online con at all?

Horizon Hunters

TwilightKnight wrote:

Our choice of Warhorn is based on it being (by far) the most commonly used online organizing tool by our community and we have numerous files and apps that integrate with it to provide a higher level of coordination efficiency. We are not a partner with them, we are merely a customer using their service so we cannot speak to their business practices or their compliance with any laws. Given the scope of their customers, I have to think that if they were intentionally discriminating or in violation of any federal statutes, they would already be shut down or in litigation, or both.

In any case, I will reiterate, we are more than happy to work with any member of the community facing any challenges trying to participate in PaizoCon or any other event organized by our community members. I am certain that we can work with anyone interested to find a reasonable accommodation so that they can enjoy organized play events along with the rest of the...

If you are what you claim to be and have actually read the law then you know this is not necessarily the case, there are loopholes, small businesses are exempt. Warhorn falls under the auspices of a small business because it, purportedly, has less than the requisite number of employees required under the ADA. However, a Con under Paizo's banner -- a company affiliated, corporate Con (i.e. it is their flagship event) falls under the auspices of the corporation for which it is housed even though those organizing it are volunteers, just as volunteers at a hospital are considered as working for the hospital while "working" for that hospital while in the process of volunteering their time. If during that time, they violate the law, they are doing so as representatives of the company for which they are volunteering (yes, I've dealt with this kind of thing before). While Warhorn may not fall under the purview of the law due to the lack of employees, this does not make Paizo any less responsible for upholding ADA and CVAA on their end... and I know this because I've also taken hospitals, public transportation and other companies to task for this before.... I really do know what I'm talking about.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Starfinder Superscriber

Also, I'm not sure how Google Sheets can substitute for Warhorn. It may be that there are ways to lock the columns that I don't know about.

The core operation for Warhorn is that people can sign up for games, and Warhorn remembers the order in which they signed up. You can't remove other people's signups.

With Google Sheets, if you want the public to be able to edit the sheet, you have to open up the sheet to the public. Or, at the very least, you have to approve people to edit the public parts. But, I believe that if one person signs up, another person could then remove that first person's signup, UNLESS you use the labor-intensive process of locking the rows of the signed-up people to only those people. As I understand Google Sheets, it's not really a practical solution for massive amounts of signups on a convention of this size.

(It works well for single games, and I've used it that way, where you have a handful of people registering for it. But when it comes to managing massive numbers of signups for massive numbers of games, and making sure that people can't just remove other people's signups, I don't believe that Google Sheets is practical. I'd have to see a demonstration or an explanation before I believed that.)


23 people marked this as a favorite.

No one is going to pull the plug on a Free, primarily fan-organized event. You have been offered patience and respect. You have been offered accommodation. You have been offered explanation for why you are incorrect in your assumptions.

This thread is the joyful planning of a convention we thought had been completely cancelled. A convention that means a great deal to a great many of us. I got engaged at PaizoCon. If you want to discuss it's shortcomings, make a new thread. If you want to make threats, get lost.


5 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I am (at least as of this time) blessed and lucky to not have to worry overmuch about ADA compliance personally.

However, in the past I *have* had concerns with signing up for events via Warhorn.

Those were *always resolved* by the event organizer in a way that was amicable to all parties.

It is not shameful to ask for help on a thing.

It is also not shameful to want to be able to *not* ask for help on a thing.

We are a community, and our strength is in *unity*.

Side comment:
As one of those 'old fashioned folks' who prefer physical copy and have a *very* hard time reading .pdf, I find the move to .pdf as a whole very painful. That being said, I can also understand why such a move was made, and I've allowed it to influence my purchasing choices. In addition, on a 'pay as you go' sort of phone, things like the Internet at the fingertips, and constant texting via phone are *luxuries* at best. Despite this, there's always been a reasonable effort to accomodate my needs, and for that I am very grateful.

I am very thankful for this announcement. It means that my vacation request was *not* wasted.

Liberty's Edge

5 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Laarafel wrote:
Actually, the past two online Cons (which Paizo has done)

One possible point of correction. You didn't state which conventions you were referring to, but it is very likely that those conventions were play-by-post conventions entirely planned and executed by the Organized Play Foundation which is a separate non-profit entity. The OPF is not Paizo. The OPF is licensed by Paizo Inc to run their organized play campaign but they are not the same entity.

The play-by-post conventions do tend to use spreadsheets because scheduling of events into time slots is not needed. Thus, Warhorn doesn't really meet our needs.

Our virtual table top conventions do use Warhorn on the other hand.

Grand Lodge

5 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Laarafel wrote:
Google Sheets vs Warhorn

Hey Gnome --

I think you're confusing different groups of volunteers. PaizoCon is an official Paizo-run convention that normally is in person. It's run by Paizo and volunteers from the OPF. The other online conventions have been run entirely by volunteers from the Online Venture Officer Team. It's not Paizo-run, but 'local' to our PBP region. The OPF is kind enough to provide convention support and boons, but the PBP region has full say in how they organize it.

In the PBP region, we totally use google sheets for signups because it gave us more control over our convention's signups, and because we use google for everything else organizational that we do. I say, 'we' because I'm a former VC from that region, and was responsible for much of the early organizing of our PBP conventions. Setting up and maintaining those sheets is a lot of work from multiple volunteers and it takes time.

PaizoCon is being set up, FAST, with the tool that is quickest and probably the least amount of work volunteer-wise, Warhorn. Warhorn is the default signup sheet in most areas, and so its natural that a convention with a tight time limit would default there.

They're not doing this in an attempt to exclude you. Please, work with us. We all just want to play, not fight!

Hmm

EDIT: Aaaaaand Michael Hallet ninja'd me with a more concise explanation!

Horizon Hunters

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Shifty wrote:
Laarafel wrote:
Hell, that's why I was able to predict that this would happen months before it did happen and told people connected to Paizo to not use Warhorn in relationship to events like a Con or this would invariable occur.
Just out of interest, what is wrong with Warhorn?

Specifically, it isn't screen reader friendly. Well, to be clear, it is screen reader friendly until you try to join a game or become a GM and then it isn't screen reader friendly because the developer created a pop-up (or what I believe is a pop-up) that will not allow one to interact with it utilizing keystrokes; you have to use a mouse. According to the creator of Warhorn, it works with Voice Over (which is Apple's screen reader); however, like a lot of Blind people, I use a PC and have JAWS (the screen reader for people using PCs) and, while it registers that there is a pop-up window of some kind, it won't read it... which means he didn't code it properly (this means he didn't follow basic ADA protocols set up by federal guidelines that are generic so that all screen readers will work regardless of which one you're using). This is the link to the video I finally ended up making for the guy from Warhorn to show him the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmOJJKMYWVg

Silver Crusade

5 people marked this as a favorite.

Thank you for finally pointing out the issue you are having.

Horizon Hunters

Rysky wrote:
Thank you for finally pointing out the issue you are having.

Rysky, I didn't come here for help. I came here to inform you what is going to happen to Paizo and, potentially, this Con. That's all. You can't help.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Laarafel wrote:
You can't help.

I'm sorry to hear that, Gnome. I'm leaving the thread and returning back to our PBP game. Wanna come with? I really just want for both of us to play.

Hmm

PS I am glad that the PBP google spreadsheet signups are accessible. I'm sorry that Warhorn is not. Perhaps what we really should be doing is communicating these problems to Warhorn so that they hear from multiple people that it is a problem.

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

Going to be awesome! Was going to be my first Paizocon, so was very bummed when it got canceled, but this is great news!

Grand Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.

I never thought I would take part in PaizoCon as it is a pain to travel from Europe. So while this isn"t the same - it is at least as good as it gets.
Just registered to GM.


I am very excited about this, and hoping I can get into a few games.

In these uncertain times, this is one of the bright spots. Thanks to the volunteers making this happen.

Grand Lodge

10 people marked this as a favorite.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict that PaizonCon 2020 Online occurs as scheduled.

Horizon Hunters

Hmm wrote:
Laarafel wrote:
Google Sheets vs Warhorn

They're not doing this in an attempt to exclude you. Please, work with us. We all just want to play, not fight!

Hmm

EDIT: Aaaaaand Michael Hallet ninja'd me with a more concise explanation!

While different groups/entities may be putting on separate events, both are entities which, in the end and to a degree, an extension of Paizo. And, yes, putting on a different event with a shorter schedule would be more problematic; however and at the same time, had Paizo been thinking this through, this would have been organized further out, contingencies put in place, etc. The reality is that going through Warhorn provides for no allowance for reasonable accommodations and no ADA compliance because it is first come first seated (based on the stated rules here on this forum -- which by default leaves any and all PwDs on the sidelines that need reasonable accommodations to play the game and either can't sign up until they get an accommodation to sign up (like me) OR need to get an accommodation approved in order to insure that they can play the game they sign up for (ex. someone who is deaf who needs to use chat instead of voice). These types of accommodations take time to arrange and Paizo (and those involved in arranging this Con left no room to create space/time to arrange for accommodations) AND because sign up for both GM positions and players is through Warhorn, if one cannot sign up via this device some subsets can't utilize this venue and thereby are automatically excluded from this Con. Paizo didn't need to hang a "No Disabled People allowed" sign outside; it's implied and inferred.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

I’m also super excited for the move to an online convention this year to at least have some sort of PaizoCon and would like to thank Tonya and all of the volunteers for their hard work.

My excitement is a bit tempered because it’s a week later so unfortunately that means my vacation is wasted as I head back to work right after the usual con and work the following weekend.... which is sad. However, I will definitely try to take advantage of as many slots as I can on my day or two off, family permitting at least.

It will be great to play and maybe GM for even more Pathfinder and a Starfinder fans!

Silver Crusade

16 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

My friend is excited because she never attends cons due to physical barriers and well, the United States isn't exactly close, doubly so for a wheelchair-bound people. So now she'll get to participate in PaizoCon, which was arguably doubly impossible before. There's some silver lining to the apocalypse!


Xathos of Varisia wrote:
I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict that PaizonCon 2020 Online occurs as scheduled.

Something Xathos and I agree on, that doesnt happen too often.

:)

I am looking forward to my first chance to run and play stuff at Paizocon. I had been looking at doing the actual event but Brexit and the tumbling pound has made it an increasingly expensive option.

There are lots of us who have a lot of experience of running and playing games in the online community. If anyone wants any help in setting up a table then come and join us at the Organised Play discrd.

I and others have roll20 tables built for pretty much every 2e game released to date and you can probably find someone who has an every 1e and Starfinder game if you want tips, hints or tables to practice on.

Discord link

If you want some practice playing online I am running several different 2e games this weekend.

The Island

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

While it's probably too late for PaizoCon 2020 — as just getting the word out and getting everyone signed-up in a month will be hard — I wonder if in the future Paizo could look beyond Warhorn to another scheduling platform, albeit one not dedicated to gaming.

I know there are many webinar scheduling programs and applications out there, which can handle the automated functional Google Sheets cannot (i.e. non-manual approval, limited participants, waiting lists).

Services like:
appointmentquest.com
simplybook.me

The big difference is other alternatives would all cost money while I believe Warhorn is free (and possibly operating at a loss).
As PaizoCon is already becoming a free convention rather than a paid ticketed event, I imagine it's already a giant financial black hole, and paying a steep fee for a scheduling platform would make the loss worse.

Thankfully, as a big name international convention, this will likely attract lots of gamers stuck at home and curious about PF2 interested in giving that game a whirl. So hopefully it becomes a great advertisement for the game and Paizo.


Nefreet wrote:
Question. I assume that, just as with an in-person game, a GM may refuse "seating" a player who has demonstrated a history of unprovoked, foul-mouthed, angry tirades and insults?

On a slightly more serious note, I dont believe that as an individual GM at a convention that you can do so. You could raise with the organisoer your concerns about an individual player but that would be their decision.

Of course, ultimately you have the right to say you ant run at all if the issue were pushed but in general GMs dont get to veto players at cons. If the person was disruptive at the table then again you shoould raise it with the organiser to deal with if you cannot resolve the issue with the player.

If it is someone you have a history of conflict with who you cannot bear have sat at your table then flag it up in advance.

Liberty's Edge

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Starfinder Superscriber

It sounds like Laarafel is not interesting in finding a way to make it work, but is interested in getting the Con shut down for whatever motivation.

*Anybody else* who has issues signing up with Warhorn because of being vision impaired or for any other reason, the VOs have indicated a willingness to help. I know that there is a vision impaired person who's played in a couple of VTT games here (that were mustered via Warhorn). Please reach out to the VOs and find a way to make it work. They really do want to help make it work for you. There's no exclusionary sign hung out anywhere; it just may require a little manual intervention to get things working for you.

(And, heck, that kind of thing happens all the time. I know that a few times I've had to ask for manual intervention to get my subscriptions to ship right, for example.)

Scarab Sages

8 people marked this as a favorite.

If what you say about warhorn is true, it is surprising that there are almost no results on Google for "warhorn" and "ada complianace" or "ada compliant." Or anything relevant about warhorn and screen readers or incompatible devices.

Has anyone but you made this complaint about/ or to Warhorn?

It sounds like a technical bug not a callous or ignorant oversight. You are not the only gamer that uses screen reader technology. It seems to be that if screen reader tech didn't work on the site for everyone, there would be more of an outcry. If I am wrong, please provide sources that other people have had this problem.

And, if nothing else, organizers can sign people up on Warhorn.

Paizo as a company is very respectful and accommodating to people with disabilities, and would make sure that people who need accommodations aren't "sidelined." Especially if a person were to actually contact them and ask for it.

Coming onto an online forum about the convention being announced, making bold claims, and threatening lawsuits is not an appropriate way to handle this.

- an annual PaizoCon attendee since 2010, and a person with a disability.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Pathfinder Accessories, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

I'm curious about the change in dates. I had PaizoCon time taken off from work basically as soon as they mentioned the dates. I can't take that whole week off, especially considering the backlog I'll have after the epidemic.

My kids may be able to do that time and they're certainly tired of being at home, so maybe it will work better for them.

Once again, curious not complaining.

And, if you wanted to speak to times for gaming I would love to hear it.

Take care!
Chris

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Gorbacz wrote:
rknop wrote:

It sounds like Laarafel is not interesting in finding a way to make it work, but is interested in getting the Con shut down for whatever motivation.

Revenge on the abes.

That seems harsh. Seems to me to be far more justified anger at Warhorn (I'm going to take her at her word that Warhorn doesn't work for her) that is being misdirected in this case.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Laarafel wrote:
While different groups/entities may be putting on separate events, both are entities which, in the end and to a degree, an extension of Paizo.

That right there is why PaizoCon 2020 Online will proceed and happen as planned. Org Play is not an extension of Paizo. You may argue otherwise, but you will need to do so in a courtroom. You may not have noticed a certain pandemic taking place shutting a lot of things down. To shut down PaizoCon 2020 Online, you need a ruling that establishes Org Play as an extension of Paizo and you will not get that in time.

On top of that, when things finally settle down and the new normal takes place, Warhorn may very well have fixed the issues and have their site fully ADA compliant or more accurately, working more efficiently for disabled individuals. That right there would invalidate whatever standing your grievance had.

YMMV but have a nice day.

Horizon Hunters

11 people marked this as a favorite.

For those of you who are having issues with pop-ups on Warhorn, tab 6 times, hit enter, and you're signed up.

I don't think anyone would mind if you leave the drop downs blank as long as your character is in level.

101 to 150 of 374 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / PaizoCon / General Discussion / Paizo Blog: PaizoCon Online Will Be Scheduled For May 26-31 All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.