Adventures Near And Far

Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Hello! If you’re reading this, then hopefully you’re excited to hear about the new Pathfinder Society adventures we’re getting ready to release, because that’s pretty much all I’m going to be talking about.

One thing I’ve seen a lot of conversation about on the forums is how long it might take for the organized play campaign to go back to adventuring in Tian Xia. The answer, as I’m sure you’ve just guessed, is about this long, plus one week! Veteran author Christopher Wasko takes us back in Pathfinder Society Scenario #1-06: Lost on the Spirit Road, a Tier 1-4 repeatable scenario. The Pathfinders head over the Crown of the World towards the nation of Goka, where Venture-Captain Amara Li needs some help tracking down a shipment that seems to have gone missing along the Spirit Road, a narrow trade route skirting the Forest of Spirits. I’d love to be able to tell you more, but as a 4-hour-long repeatable adventure, the numerous randomized elements mean even I can’t tell you exactly what your adventure might look like! Perhaps this enterprising kitsune can give you some advice, assuming he’s an ally this time around…

A fox-headed kitsune with a mischievous expression plays a long bamboo flute.

Illustration by Leonardo Santanna

Our next scenario is a bit closer to the Grand Lodge. In Pathfinder Society Scenario #1-07: Flooded King’s Court, author Brian Duckwitz takes us to the Puddles district of Absalom for a visit with royalty. Goblin King Zusgut claimed a ruined “castle” that sits atop even older ruins. Unfortunately, the things occupying those ruins seem less than thrilled to have a goblin “kingdom” growing over their heads, and now Zusgut is looking for some enterprising explorers to go search and clear the passages beneath his royal abode. Venture-Captain Drandle Dreng looks to get on Zusgut’s good side and calls upon his Pathfinder associates to assist. With a steady hand like Dreng’s guiding the mission and a heroic ally like Zusgut, what could possibly go wrong?

King Zusgut, a goblin wearing a crown fashioned from garbage and shards of metal, flashes a wide grin filled with needle-sharp teeth.

Illustration by Katerina Kirillova

Last but certainly not least, our new quest from Kate Baker takes the Pathfinders to the high seas! In days of yore, the mighty Ulfen warrior Grehunde the Sunchaser earned fame and glory in the Lands of the Linnorm Kings. The only goal she yearned for but never achieved was to end her days in the Ulfen holy land of Valenhall. Her descendant, Hlavard, sought to honor her wish by taking Grehunde’s famed magical gorget on his own journey to Valenhall, but his ship was lost somewhere in the waters between Avistan and Arcadia. Now, Hlavard’s surviving family has reached out to the Pathfinder Society for assistance in locating the shipwreck and retrieving the family heirloom.

A steel gorget, spotted with corrosion and streaked with seaweed, bears an imposing crest featuring two crossed axes and a snarling, bestial face.

Illustration by Leonardo Santanna

And that’s all I’ve got for you this time around! Take care, and until next time Explore, Report, and Cooperate!

Michael Sayre
Pathfinder Society Developer

More Paizo Blog.
Tags: Organized Play Pathfinder Society
5/5 Venture-Agent, California—San Francisco Bay Area North & East aka Pirate Rob

3 people marked this as a favorite.

Yarr.

Silver Crusade

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Kitsune!


3 people marked this as a favorite.

KITSUNEKITSUNEKITSUNEKITSUNEKITSUNEKITSUNEKITSUNEKITSUNEKITSUNE

Grand Lodge 4/5 Venture-Agent, Colorado—Denver aka roll4initiative

5 people marked this as a favorite.

I love the amount of replayable scenarios and quests being produced. I can't wait 'til those higher tier ones come out. I'm hoping there are plans in the future for some 9-12 tier ones.

1/5 RPG Superstar Season 9 Top 16

2 people marked this as a favorite.

An awesome repeatable adventure in Tian Xia with cool-looking kitsune samurai!

When we can't play kitsunes or any non-human samurai for likely at least a year-and-a-half!

Why must life be so good but so cruel?!

Paizo Employee Organized Play Developer

6 people marked this as a favorite.
Cyrad wrote:

An awesome repeatable adventure in Tian Xia with cool-looking kitsune samurai!

When we can't play kitsunes or any non-human samurai for likely at least a year-and-a-half!

Why must life be so good but so cruel?!

Never let anyone tell you that you can't play a samurai.

"Why is it so difficult to believe that I can be a samurai without having a class with the word "samurai" in the title?? Can there not be facets of life that are not defined solely by class?"

-Miko

1/5 RPG Superstar Season 9 Top 16

Michael Sayre wrote:
Cyrad wrote:

An awesome repeatable adventure in Tian Xia with cool-looking kitsune samurai!

When we can't play kitsunes or any non-human samurai for likely at least a year-and-a-half!

Why must life be so good but so cruel?!

Never let anyone tell you that you can't play a samurai.

"Why is it so difficult to believe that I can be a samurai without having a class with the word "samurai" in the title?? Can there not be facets of life that are not defined solely by class?"

-Miko

Totally agreed! My dragon instinct barbarian is flavored as a ninja.

However, I was referring to the issue that the Unconventional Weaponry human feat is currently the only way to gain access to katanas in PFS. Katanas and other Tian Xia weapons lack access conditions. So far, none of the Lost Omens books have labeled them as cultural weapons of Tian Xia. So if you want to play a Tien katana-wielding samurai, you have to be human and take that feat.

Grand Lodge 5/5 ⦵⦵⦵ Venture-Captain, Online—PbP aka Hmm

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Kitsune! And adventurers getting hired by a goblin to clear the ruins under his castle! And a pirate quest from Kate! Can life get any better?

Hmm

Scarab Sages 4/5

Cyrad wrote:
Michael Sayre wrote:
Cyrad wrote:

An awesome repeatable adventure in Tian Xia with cool-looking kitsune samurai!

When we can't play kitsunes or any non-human samurai for likely at least a year-and-a-half!

Why must life be so good but so cruel?!

Never let anyone tell you that you can't play a samurai.

"Why is it so difficult to believe that I can be a samurai without having a class with the word "samurai" in the title?? Can there not be facets of life that are not defined solely by class?"

-Miko

Totally agreed! My dragon instinct barbarian is flavored as a ninja.

However, I was referring to the issue that the Unconventional Weaponry human feat is currently the only way to gain access to katanas in PFS. Katanas and other Tian Xia weapons lack access conditions. So far, none of the Lost Omens books have labeled them as cultural weapons of Tian Xia. So if you want to play a Tien katana-wielding samurai, you have to be human and take that feat.

I think it's still unclear whether or not Unconventional Weaponry even works for it, since I don't think anything sets the katana as being Common in another culture, which is a requirement of the feat. I think people were hoping that the Lost Omens World Guide would do that, but I don't think it did. Unless I missed something.

Grand Lodge

Been waiting for 1-06, yay!!!

Scarab Sages 5/5 Venture-Captain, Netherlands aka Woran

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Goblin King Zusgut looks fantastic!

3/5 Contributor aka Alexander Augunas

8 people marked this as a favorite.

MY SON!

YOU LOOK SO WONDERFUL...

3/5 Contributor aka Alexander Augunas

6 people marked this as a favorite.

For clarity, I didn’t write anything this scenario. I may not be this kitsune’s creator, but that just makes him better. I foster the heck out of this fox boi.

3/5 ⦵⦵ Contributor

5 people marked this as a favorite.

This Quest was super fun to write, and I hope people enjoy it!

1/5

Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

At second glance, is that a katana or a nodachi? It looks like it'd fit in the 'greatsword' category?

It could also be the perspectives of the art?

Scarab Sages 4/5

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Kate Baker wrote:

This Quest was super fun to write, and I hope people enjoy it!

I think it’s fantastic that more quests are being written/released. It’s something I’ve been hoping for for a long time.

Is this quest repeatable? I had fun playing the second quest, but didn’t realize it wasn’t repeatable for 1st level characters. Right now I’m wary about playing anything that isn’t repeatable until I know what character I enjoy playing, and more content is built up so I don’t run out.

1/5

Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

It would be horrible if they released no repeatable content except Absalom Initiation.

It would also be pretty bad if they only released three repeatable scenarios/quest packs that became a de facto 'curriculum' for folks worried about burning through play opportunity.

However, I don't see many options beyond that atm?

3/5 ⦵⦵ Contributor

2 people marked this as a favorite.

My Quest is not repeatable. However, Chris’s scenario, 1-06, is repeatable!

5/5 Venture-Agent, California—San Francisco Bay Area North & East aka Pirate Rob

I think Quest 4 and 1-10 will also be repeatable.

Paizo Employee Organized Play Developer

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pirate Rob wrote:
I think Quest 4 and 1-10 will also be repeatable.

This is correct. After 1-06, our next two repeatables will be Q4 in November and 1-10 in December.

Sovereign Court 3/5 Venture-Lieutenant, Georgia—Savannah aka KitsuneWarlock

4 people marked this as a favorite.

Fluffy tails! Woo!

I'm so glad the (bard?) kitsune uses a flute and doesn't sing. I'm so sick of a certain meme.

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 4, RPG Superstar 2013 Top 32

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Lots of cool people! Lots of cool content!

Grand Lodge 5/5 ⦵⦵⦵ Venture-Captain, Online—PbP aka Hmm

3 people marked this as a favorite.

There's a singing kitsune meme? Man, I'm always behind the times!

Grand Lodge 4/5 ⦵⦵⦵⦵

2 people marked this as a favorite.

"What do fox play?"

Grand Lodge 5/5 ⦵⦵⦵ Venture-Captain, Online—PbP aka Hmm

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Oh! That's the singing kitsune meme? I always thought that was the cute Norwegian cosplay meme! Silly me.

(I have done entire preschool storytimes centered around that Ylvis song. It was a delightful bit of nonsense.)

Lantern Lodge 5/5 Venture-Captain, Illinois—Chicago (Suburbs) aka michaelane

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Michael Sayre wrote:
Pirate Rob wrote:
I think Quest 4 and 1-10 will also be repeatable.
This is correct. After 1-06, our next two repeatables will be Q4 in November and 1-10 in December.

And Q1 is also repeatable in addition to 1-01. Yay for repeatable content!

4/5 Venture-Agent, Maryland—Hagerstown aka Z...D...

I am liking all the repeatable scenarios.

Dark Archive 4/5 Venture-Lieutenant, Online—VTT

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Michael Sayre wrote:


Never let anyone tell you that you can't play a samurai.

"Why is it so difficult to believe that I can be a samurai without having a class with the word "samurai" in the title?? Can there not be facets of life that are not defined solely by class?"

-Miko

Exactly! I have a 'samurai' in PF1 who is mechanically a Medium, the spirits of his ancestors guide him in continuing the honorable legacy of their family... as a samurai :)

Paizo Employee Organized Play Developer

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Cyrad wrote:

Totally agreed! My dragon instinct barbarian is flavored as a ninja.

However, I was referring to the issue that the Unconventional Weaponry human feat is currently the only way to gain access to katanas in PFS. Katanas and other Tian Xia weapons lack access conditions. So far, none of the Lost Omens books have labeled them as cultural weapons of Tian Xia. So if you want to play a Tien katana-wielding samurai, you have to be human and take that feat.

There is now at least one more way for characters to get access to katanas without being human.

Spoilery Hint:

It involves a repeatable scenario set in Tian Xia.

Sovereign Court 4/5 ⦵⦵⦵⦵ Venture-Agent, Georgia—Atlanta aka The Masked Ferret

Michael Sayre wrote:
Cyrad wrote:

Totally agreed! My dragon instinct barbarian is flavored as a ninja.

However, I was referring to the issue that the Unconventional Weaponry human feat is currently the only way to gain access to katanas in PFS. Katanas and other Tian Xia weapons lack access conditions. So far, none of the Lost Omens books have labeled them as cultural weapons of Tian Xia. So if you want to play a Tien katana-wielding samurai, you have to be human and take that feat.

There is now at least one more way for characters to get access to katanas without being human.

** spoiler omitted **

Is that true? I don't believe that katanas have any regional access language on them, and are not listed anywhere as "being common in another culture", so I don't think Unconventional Weaponry will technically work on them. Unless it does, please let us know.

Paizo Employee Organized Play Developer

6 people marked this as a favorite.
Glen Parnell wrote:
Michael Sayre wrote:
Cyrad wrote:

Totally agreed! My dragon instinct barbarian is flavored as a ninja.

However, I was referring to the issue that the Unconventional Weaponry human feat is currently the only way to gain access to katanas in PFS. Katanas and other Tian Xia weapons lack access conditions. So far, none of the Lost Omens books have labeled them as cultural weapons of Tian Xia. So if you want to play a Tien katana-wielding samurai, you have to be human and take that feat.

There is now at least one more way for characters to get access to katanas without being human.

** spoiler omitted **

Is that true? I don't believe that katanas have any regional access language on them, and are not listed anywhere as "being common in another culture", so I don't think Unconventional Weaponry will technically work on them. Unless it does, please let us know.

Unconventional Weaponry can be used to access the katana, as it is a weapon common to a culture in our setting. I realize the rules on this are still a little sparse, so we'll look at seeing if we can put up a list of PFS-specific access entries for the appropriate uncommon weapons, which should clarify Unconventional Weaponry's applicability.

Scarab Sages 4/5

Thank you, Michael! That would eliminate a lot of confusion over the issue.

Also, good news in the errata for dwarves and clan daggers. Does that apply in PFS as well(that all dwarves start with a clan dagger)? Since it’s a wealth thing, best to be sure.

And per errata gnomes have access to kukris and gnome weapons now. So better weapon access in general, it seems!

Paizo Employee Organized Play Developer

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Ferious Thune wrote:

Thank you, Michael! That would eliminate a lot of confusion over the issue.

Also, good news in the errata for dwarves and clan daggers. Does that apply in PFS as well(that all dwarves start with a clan dagger)? Since it’s a wealth thing, best to be sure.
And per errata gnomes have access to kukris and gnome weapons now. So better weapon access in general, it seems!

Yes, PFS dwarves all immediately benefit from that errata and gain a clan dagger, and new PFS dwarves have a clan dagger as part of their starting load-out.

Liberty's Edge 5/5 Venture-Lieutenant, Alaska—Anchorage aka Dragnmoon

Michael Sayre wrote:
and new PFS dwarves have a clan dagger as part of their starting load-out.

Lol, sounds like we are playing a video game.

Grand Lodge 5/5 Venture-Agent, Florida—Melbourne aka trollbill

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Steven Lau wrote:
Michael Sayre wrote:
and new PFS dwarves have a clan dagger as part of their starting load-out.
Lol, sounds like we are playing a video game.

Step 1: Form an entire party of Dwarves.

Step 2: Refer to all adventures as "Raids" and all monsters as "Mobs."

Dataphiles 4/5 ⦵⦵⦵⦵

Bill Baldwin wrote:


Step 1: Form an entire party of Dwarves.
Step 2: Refer to all adventures as "Raids" and all monsters as "Mobs."

Step 3: Shout "For The Alliance!"

1/5

Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

That works for a portion of the player base. Another portion is waiting for Additional Resources to include orcs, minotaur, dhampir and trolls...

Paizo Employee Organized Play Developer

9 people marked this as a favorite.
Steven Lau wrote:
Michael Sayre wrote:
and new PFS dwarves have a clan dagger as part of their starting load-out.
Lol, sounds like we are playing a video game.

I actually learned how to play D&D during my time in the Army, so I have a tendency to use military terms when talking about characters and tactics :)

One of the first things I ever had published was a 3pp class called the battle lord that had a bunch of military themes and inspirations in it.

Silver Crusade 5/5 ⦵⦵ Venture-Captain, Germany—Bavaria

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Always lovely to learn new things about our org play team ^^
Thank you for the clarification Michael ^^

Grand Lodge 5/5 Regional Venture-Coordinator, Eastern Eurasia-Africa

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Michael Sayre wrote:
Steven Lau wrote:
Michael Sayre wrote:
and new PFS dwarves have a clan dagger as part of their starting load-out.
Lol, sounds like we are playing a video game.

I actually learned how to play D&D during my time in the Army, so I have a tendency to use military terms when talking about characters and tactics :)

One of the first things I ever had published was a 3pp class called the battle lord that had a bunch of military themes and inspirations in it.

This is funny as Steven is actually still military (If I'm not mistaken). I guess airforce uses different terminology and/or that they play more video games! :-D

Grand Lodge 5/5 Venture-Agent, Florida—Melbourne aka trollbill

7 people marked this as a favorite.
Auke Teeninga wrote:
Michael Sayre wrote:
Steven Lau wrote:
Michael Sayre wrote:
and new PFS dwarves have a clan dagger as part of their starting load-out.
Lol, sounds like we are playing a video game.

I actually learned how to play D&D during my time in the Army, so I have a tendency to use military terms when talking about characters and tactics :)

One of the first things I ever had published was a 3pp class called the battle lord that had a bunch of military themes and inspirations in it.

This is funny as Steven is actually still military (If I'm not mistaken). I guess airforce uses different terminology and/or that they play more video games! :-D

I had a Gnome Bombardier Alchemist with the Wings discovery. When asked what my party job was (tank, artillery, medic, etc.), my response was Combat Air Support. Encounters sometimes began with me saying, "Alchemist 1 to Party Leader. Alchemist 1 to Party Leader. I have a full load-out of Snake & Nape. Where do you want it? Over." Followed by me playing "Flight of the Valkyries" from my iPhone.

"I love the smell of Alchemist's Fire in the morning."

Liberty's Edge 5/5 Venture-Lieutenant, Alaska—Anchorage aka Dragnmoon

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Auke Teeninga wrote:
This is funny as Steven is actually still military (If I'm not mistaken). I guess airforce uses different terminology and/or that they play more video games! :-D

Instead of Load Out, Think of Payload for the Air Force... I think... I have no idea I work with computers... ;)

Paizo Employee Organized Play Developer

Steven Lau wrote:
Auke Teeninga wrote:
This is funny as Steven is actually still military (If I'm not mistaken). I guess airforce uses different terminology and/or that they play more video games! :-D
Instead of Load Out, Think of Payload for the Air Force... I think... I have no idea I work with computers... ;)

Feel free to PM me the answer if you don't want to respond publicly, but speaking of Adventures Near and Far, were you stationed up at Elmendorf? Anchorage is my old stomping ground!

Liberty's Edge 5/5 Venture-Lieutenant, Alaska—Anchorage aka Dragnmoon

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Michael Sayre wrote:
Steven Lau wrote:
Auke Teeninga wrote:
This is funny as Steven is actually still military (If I'm not mistaken). I guess airforce uses different terminology and/or that they play more video games! :-D
Instead of Load Out, Think of Payload for the Air Force... I think... I have no idea I work with computers... ;)
Feel free to PM me the answer if you don't want to respond publicly, but speaking of Adventures Near and Far, were you stationed up at Elmendorf? Anchorage is my old stomping ground!

I was for 3 years, now back in San Antonio.

Community / Forums / Organized Play / Pathfinder Society / Paizo Blog: Adventures Near And Far All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.