Pathfinder Second Edition Demo Adventure Available for Download Today!

Wednesday, September 11, 2019

It has been just over a month since we welcomed you to Pathfinder Second Edition and the positive response has been amazing! We’ve heard from many of you that you’d like to see a short adventure as well, so today we present to you Torment and Legacy: A Pathfinder Second Edition Demo Adventure to make it even easier to experience the evolution of Pathfinder!

A grinning ogre in furs and leather armor wields a massive hooked implement in one hand.

Here is some of the introduction from the adventure’s designer, Stephen Radney-MacFarland:

“This short adventure is designed to allow you, the Game Master, to present the game to newcomers, showcasing the new rules in a quick and fun manner. This adventure can be run for four players within an hour, which gives you enough time to explain the basic rules of the game to your players before throwing them into the jaws of grand adventure. You can also run this adventure with up to six players, though the game might take a little longer to complete.”

The free PDF download includes:

  • Torment and Legacy: A Pathfinder Second Edition Demo Adventure by Stephen Radney-MacFarland.
  • Six pregenerated first level iconic characters with a full-page Rules Reference for each.
  • Pathfinder Second Edition Quick Reference Sheet

WHAT YOU’LL NEED

While the document presents a complete adventure, you’ll need a few supplies to run it.

  • The Pathfinder Core Rulebook (Second Edition).
  • At least one of each of the following dice: 4-sided, 6-sided, 8-sided, 10-sided, 12-sided, and 20-sided.
  • Pathfinder Flip-Mat Classics: Hill Country, or some way to replicate the features of the back side of that Flip-Mat.
  • A group of pawns or miniatures to represent the characters and the monsters.
  • A Pathfinder Combat Pad along with wet or dry erase markers, or a piece of blank paper and a pen or pencil to track initiative.
  • A number of Pathfinder Hero Point Tokens equal to the number of players in the game. You could also use some other object to represent Hero Points, like chips, coins, or beads.

Also, for online rules, Archives of Nethys has the official Pathfinder Second Edition SRD available at PFRD.Info.

We think this adventure will be a good first step for new and veteran players, favorite local game stores, podcasters, and streamers into unleashing their heroes with Pathfinder Second Edition. We invite you to give it a try and tell us about your experiences!

More Paizo Blog.
Tags: Pathfinder Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Pathfinder Second Edition

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I'm looking forward to reading through this to educate myself about the new edition and then run it for our local group. Will it be Pathfinder Society supported?


Pathfinder Card Game, Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber

Awesome! Thank you for sharing.

Side note, the tags are referring to Starfinder ;)


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Just finished reading it. This is a good introduction, and should be a great help. Thanks for putting it together.

Sovereign Court

Why does Fumbus's Bulk say 4,5? Is that is supposed to be 4 Bulk 5 L? The other characters have an "L" after the light weight amounts. Or does it mean 4 bulk with the errata for Alchemist tool's weight, and 5 by the core rules?

Grand Lodge

Sweet thanks. Can't wait to read this.

Liberty's Edge

Is this PFS legal? I could run it ar a few stores.

Paizo Employee PR Manager

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Elorebaen wrote:

Awesome! Thank you for sharing.

Side note, the tags are referring to Starfinder ;)

Fixed. Thanks.

Paizo Employee PR Manager

I know the demo is not sanctioned for PFS at this time. Pathfinder Society Scenario #1-00: Origin of the Open Road is designed for level 5 pregenerated characters and available as a free download. Three more entry level PFS Scenarios and one Quest have been released. There are two more Scenarios and a Quest coming at the end of the month. You should be able to find all of those here. All these should be useful at stores.

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Aaron Shanks wrote:
I know the demo is not sanctioned for PFS at this time. Pathfinder Society Scenario #1-00: Origin of the Open Road is designed for level 5 pregenerated characters and available as a free download. Three more entry level PFS Scenarios and one Quest have been released. There are two more Scenarios and a Quest coming at the end of the month. You should be able to find all of those here. All these should be useful at stores.

I just clicked on the link you provided and it says $4.99, not free.


Samurai wrote:
I just clicked on the link you provided and it says $4.99, not free.

If you want something currently PFS-sanctioned, Quest #1: The Sandstone Secret is priced lower at $1.99, and repeatable, containing three different possible encounters as well a batch of clues for the GM to pull from to keep the scenario fresh on multiple playthroughs.

Paizo Employee PR Manager

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Samurai wrote:
Aaron Shanks wrote:
I know the demo is not sanctioned for PFS at this time. Pathfinder Society Scenario #1-00: Origin of the Open Road is designed for level 5 pregenerated characters and available as a free download. Three more entry level PFS Scenarios and one Quest have been released. There are two more Scenarios and a Quest coming at the end of the month. You should be able to find all of those here. All these should be useful at stores.
I just clicked on the link you provided and it says $4.99, not free.

Sorry, I should have said the pregenerated characters are free.


I might've missed something but why does the Rogue get a +1 to Attack Actions on his Acrobatics and Athletics checks?

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Fumbus lacks a Formula Book, and his Bulk is pretty deeply wrong (I come to 5.8 rather than 4.5)...assuming there aren't some bulk errors in the corebook. I sure hope there are such errors since if there aren't and you give him his mandatory book he goes to 6.8 Bulk and is encumbered.

Shahnaz wrote:
I might've missed something but why does the Rogue get a +1 to Attack Actions on his Acrobatics and Athletics checks?

She's suffering an Armor Check penalty, which do not apply on such actions.

Also, it's kinda silly that she's suffering such a penalty since her Studded Leather is worse for her in leather in pretty much every way.

Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Pathfinder Accessories, Pawns, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Deadmanwalking wrote:
Fumbus lacks a Formula Book, and his Bulk is pretty deeply wrong (I come to 5.8 rather than 4.5)...assuming there aren't some bulk errors in the corebook. I sure hope there are such errors since if there aren't and you give him his mandatory book he goes to 6.8 Bulk and is encumbered.

It is almost impossible to make an unencumbered alchemist right now even with minimal equipment. I think a review of their class features (particularly mutagenicist, whose research field doesn't actually grant unique abilities) and alchemist bulk is one of the most urgent things an errata document needs to hit on (since it's a core class).

Nice to see a demo adventure. I will download it right now!

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Ageron wrote:
It is almost impossible to make an unencumbered alchemist right now even with minimal equipment. I think a review of their class features (particularly mutagenicist, whose research field doesn't actually grant unique abilities) and alchemist bulk is one of the most urgent things an errata document needs to hit on (since it's a core class).

Agreed entirely. I strive to bring it up in every thread it's remotely on topic for precisely that reason.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

The pregens as a group are all over the place in terms of bulk and equipment without any real rhyme or reason. I don't think it makes much sense to put any stock into the numbers or the actual equipment the characters are carrying, as clearly someone drew the art, and then someone tried to stat the equipment.

The wizard is carrying a crossbow and a staff, but has 1, 8 bulk?

Seelah is not carrying a bedroll?

None of them are apparently carrying a full adventurer's kit even if the kit's bulk was dropped to 1.

I think these characters were mostly stated up pre-2e, maybe ever early playtest, and whoever updated them didn't look too closely at the equipment.

Liberty's Edge

That's fair, but it does still seem a useful place to note the Alchemist Bulk issue.

Sovereign Court

Deadmanwalking wrote:
Fumbus lacks a Formula Book, and his Bulk is pretty deeply wrong (I come to 5.8 rather than 4.5)...assuming there aren't some bulk errors in the corebook. I sure hope there are such errors since if there aren't and you give him his mandatory book he goes to 6.8 Bulk and is encumbered.

For my house rules, I said that every Alchemist's Tool kit includes a Formula book for free, no additional weight or bulk. So the tool kit still weighs 2 Bulk all together, but there is no need to buy a separate Formula book, which saves them 1 bulk and 1 sp.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

So I noticed that there is a male changeling, does this mean if changelings becomes an ancestry that we will see changelings of any gender?

Liberty's Edge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
tet325 wrote:
So I noticed that there is a male changeling, does this mean if changelings becomes an ancestry that we will see changelings of any gender?

They've already stated that in the Bestiary (noting that they exist, but usually only female Changelings get the Call, making many people not realize that male Changelings are anything unusual), so the answer is almost assuredly yes.


Deadmanwalking wrote:
Also, it's kinda silly that she's suffering such a penalty since her Studded Leather is worse for her in leather in pretty much every way.

Some things never change :)


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Deadmanwalking wrote:
tet325 wrote:
So I noticed that there is a male changeling, does this mean if changelings becomes an ancestry that we will see changelings of any gender?
They've already stated that in the Bestiary (noting that they exist, but usually only female Changelings get the Call, making many people not realize that male Changelings are anything unusual), so the answer is almost assuredly yes.

Cool! I actually didn't know that since I am more up to date with the PF 1e bestiaries than the 2e bestiary.


Oh cool! A demo adventure sure is useful! :)


Hope this is available for Fantasy Grounds!

Shadow Lodge

Ooh, it's like Fallen Fortress for 2E? I mean, that it's a free intro adventure wherein everyone will have something to do?


Hello, new GM here trying to get ready to present this demo adventure to a group of new players aged 11-12. I read through the demo but am confused on one thing. Under the ogre warrior's weapons, there is a + 12 after the ogre hook and a +6 after the javelin. Are these modifiers that are added to the roll against the characters AC like the Strength modifier? Sorry if this is a newb question. I looked through the core rulebook, but did not see any other weapons having this. The only thing I saw was information on the damage die to use. Thanks for your help.


shadowswalker23 wrote:
Hello, new GM here trying to get ready to present this demo adventure to a group of new players aged 11-12. I read through the demo but am confused on one thing. Under the ogre warrior's weapons, there is a + 12 after the ogre hook and a +6 after the javelin. Are these modifiers that are added to the roll against the characters AC like the Strength modifier? Sorry if this is a newb question. I looked through the core rulebook, but did not see any other weapons having this. The only thing I saw was information on the damage die to use. Thanks for your help.

That is the monster's attack bonus, yes - it is the complete bonus for the attack, you don't also add the strength modifier or anything.

The Reading Creature Statistics section from the bestiary gives some additional detail on what each part of a creature's entry means.


That is the monster's attack bonus, yes - it is the complete bonus for the attack, you don't also add the strength modifier or anything.

The Reading Creature Statistics section from the bestiary gives some additional detail on what each part of a creature's entry means.

Thank you for the quick response and the additional information. I have not dug into the Bestiary yet as I am still making my way through the core rulebook. I am trying to get through everything quickly as I have a very excited son and daughter that are ready to play!

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder Second Edition / Paizo Products / Paizo Blog: Pathfinder Second Edition Demo Adventure Available for Download Today! All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.