Ancestries Abound

Monday, August 19, 2019

Over the last few weeks, we’ve looked at a number of monsters featured in the upcoming Pathfinder Battles: Legendary Adventures set of pre-painted plastic miniatures from our partners at WizKids, but we haven’t yet jumped into the many player-character options the set supports. Luckily, when we were gearing up for the launch of Pathfinder Second Edition, we asked iconic Pathfinder artist Wayne Reynolds to produce some concept art of what the various ancestries of the game would look like if designed from the ground up. This resulted in some slight changes in proportions among halflings and dwarves, for example, that we wanted to make sure were reflected in the earliest set released after Second Edition’s launch.

First, let’s look at dwarves! The set features three dwarves to cover a variety of character rolls: the uncommon Dwarf Champion and Dwarf Rogue and the rare Dwarf Sorcerer. These figures can, respectively, easily double for a Toragdan cleric or fighter, a knife-wielding monk or spellcaster, and a bard, cleric, or wizard.

A heavily armored Dwarf Champion wields an axe in his right hand. A Dwarf Rogue brandishes a fist dagger in her right hand. A white-haired Dwarf Sorcerer confidently wields a staff on her right hand, purple magic swirling around her.

Next alphabetically we have elves, whose first figure in the set appeared in the Legendary Adventures Preview Pack earlier this month. A variant version of the same sculpt is included in the full set as a common figure we showed off two weeks ago. The second elf in the series is actually two different figures based on the same mold, one wielding two swords and the other drawing a bow. Elf Ranger is a Medium uncommon figure with an a/b designation to its collector’s number.

A sword-wielding Elven Ranger stalks his prey. A bow-wielding Elven Ranger stalks his prey.

Gnext come the gnomes! Legendary Adventures features two gnomes, both Small: the common Gnome Rogue and rare Gnome Fighter. The rogue can double as just about any lightly-armored gnome character, though her brightly colored hair and outfit might make her stand out a bit. The polearm-wielding fighter can likewise serve as a champion or barbarian, so long as you’re fine with his colorful and mismatched armor.

A dagger-wielding Gnome Rogue in a colorful traveling outfit with a number of staves crossed on her back. A heavily armored Gnome Soldier with a green beard and eyebrows stands at attention, halberd at the ready.

Ever in the shadow of their taller kin, halflings round out the PC options in today’s preview. The Preview Pack included the Halfling Slinger, whose alternative paint scheme we showed off previously, but we’ve also got two rare halflings in the set that I believe are the coolest halfling minis ever produced. The Halfling Druid exhibits the multifunctional nature of many halfling items with her staff holding a teapot that also probably has magic spell components or healing herbs in it. Meanwhile, the aged Halfling Wizard makes up for his diminutive size with a stern look and a fiery spell effect.

A Halfling Druid wields a staff in her left hand and a translucent blue shield in her right. A bald-headed Halfling Wizard with bushy sideburns scowls over his eyeglasses as he raises a glowing yellow gem in his right hand.

Not all roughly human-shaped figures in the set are appropriate for PCs, or even restricted to Medium or Small sizes. The Ashen Man, for example, who first appeared in the Pathfinder Playtest adventure Doomsday Dawn, has the potential to be a recurring villain in the Age of Lost Omens, and his plans and influence extend far beyond the constraints of that module. A Large rare figure, the mysterious foe can stand in for any enlarged spellcaster or mist-shrouded undead.

A faceless, robed humanoid figure, gray ash pouring from his sleeves and cowl, wields a staff covered with spidery red veins and capped with what appears to be a human heart.

But why stop at Large figures when the Legendary Adventures set allows the chance to do some of the Huge giants we’ve been unable to produce in plastic form thus far? Check out the Storm Giant and both versions of the Cloud Giant (all Huge uncommon figures) to complete your core Bestiary giant collection!

A gray-bearded, purple-skinned Storm Giant raises his left hand while gesturing with the sword in his right. A white-haired, blue-skinned Cloud Giant stands at attention, a long spear in her right hand. A white-haired, blue-skinned Cloud Giant stands at attention, a greatsword in her right hand.

Next week we’ll wrap up our previews of Legendary Adventures with a look at the remaining beasties lurking in the shadows, sure to challenge player characters everywhere!

Mark Moreland
Franchise Manager

More Paizo Blog.
Tags: Miniatures Pathfinder Battles
Paizo Employee Franchise Manager

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Since the question came up on another thread, as of this blog, all Huge figures in the set have been previewed.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Ooooh Maaan! I don’t know how ... but I have got to get this set. Even if I don’t continue with the subscription, I really really want this set.

Lol. My roommate suggested I take out an “unsecured” loan. :P

I’d rather not go that route. Hoping I can afford this, somehow.

RPG Superstar Season 9 Top 16

Pretty cool stuff.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Maps Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Really curious to see these in person.. So far I prefer the older halfling miniature size a lot better compared to the preview pack.. but I think it's a really good size for a gnome, as I usually prefer when they're depicted as tiny creatures in fantasy..


nice, those Storm Giants might just arrive in time for the Rise of the Runelords campaign I‘m currently in.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Hundun!!!

Dark Archive

These are the 38 revealed minis:

COMMON (#01-#13) 
-Kobold Soldier (s) 
-Kobold Scout (s) 
-Goblin Dogslicer (s) 
-Goblin Guard (s) 
-Halfling Slinger (s) 
-Gnome Rogue (s)
-Hobgoblin Soldier (m) 
-Orc Charger (m) 
-Orc Battler (m) 
-Bugbear Skulker (m) 
-Armored Elf Soldier (m) 
-Bugbear Mauler (m) 
-Hobgoblin Sharpshooter (m)

UNCOMMON (#14-#24: 11 minis) 
-Kobold Scalecaster (s) 
-Goblin Horsechopper (s) 
-Orc Rampager (m) 
-Shadow (m) 
-Goblin Ankle-Slasher (s)
-Dwarf Champion (m)
-Dwarf Rogue (m)
-Elf Ranger A/B (m)

UNCOMMON (#25-#32: 4 large & 4 huge minis) 
-Fire Giant (L) 
-Chimera (L) 
-Dragon Turtle (H) 
-Allghollthu (H) 
-Pteranodon (L)
-Storm Giant (H)
-Cloud Giant A/B (H)

RARE (#33-40: 8 minis) 
-Dwarf Wizard (m) 
-Halfling Druid (s)
-Halfling Wizard (s) 
-Goblin Chieftain (s) 
-Gnome Fighter (s)
-Hobgoblin Commander (m) 
-Bugbear Butcher (m)

RARE (#41-#44: 2 large & 2 huge minis) 
-Huge Blue Dragon (H) 
-Boar Demon (H)
-Ashen Man(L)

ALTERNATE WEAPONS (UNCOMMON):
-Goblin Horsechopper (s)
-Orc Rampager (m)
-Elf Ranger
-Cloud Giant

-3 uncommon s or m minis are unrevealed. 
-1 uncommon Large mini is unrevealed. 
-1 rare s or m mini is unrevealed. 
-1 rare Large mini is unrevealed.

-2? alternate weapon Version minis are unrevealed.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.

What is noteworthy imo, is that almost all "distinct looking Charakter minis" are of the "rare" rarity, which is much welcome change for me.
More monsters, less pc/npc types is good.

I also noticed that NOT A SINGLE HUMAN mini has been revealed - which is a definitive plus for me!

These will be found in September's "Iconic Heroes Evolved" pack already, so no need for human minis in the set. :-)


Marco Massoudi wrote:

What is noteworthy imo, is that almost all "distinct looking Charakter minis" are of the "rare" rarity, which is much welcome change for me.

More monsters, less pc/npc types is good.

I also noticed that NOT A SINGLE HUMAN mini has been revealed - which is a definitive plus for me!

These will be found in September's "Iconic Heroes Evolved" pack already, so no need for human minis in the set. :-)

I second this,

plenty of humans still around from past sets.

on a side note: what is the artwork for the 2e catfolk like?

Silver Crusade

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
DropBearHunter wrote:
on a side note: what is the artwork for the 2e catfolk like?

Yo.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I hope to see some Catfolk and Lizardfolk represented with class levels in future sets. Like a Lion Catfolk barbarian or a panther catfolk monk or a Lizardfolk fighter or Sorceress!


Rysky wrote:
DropBearHunter wrote:
on a side note: what is the artwork for the 2e catfolk like?
Yo.

thanks!

Is that Bestiary 2 art?
wondering what a sculpt would look like if it eventuslly came out, or if I shoeld just order at Hero Forge.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
DropBearHunter wrote:
Rysky wrote:
DropBearHunter wrote:
on a side note: what is the artwork for the 2e catfolk like?
Yo.

thanks!

Is that Bestiary 2 art?
wondering what a sculpt would look like if it eventuslly came out, or if I shoeld just order at Hero Forge.

It’s the art for their entry in Bestiary 1 for Second Edition.


Rysky wrote:
DropBearHunter wrote:
Rysky wrote:
DropBearHunter wrote:
on a side note: what is the artwork for the 2e catfolk like?
Yo.

thanks!

Is that Bestiary 2 art?
wondering what a sculpt would look like if it eventuslly came out, or if I shoeld just order at Hero Forge.
It’s the art for their entry in Bestiary 1 for Second Edition.

ah, Hero Forge it is then.

while I like the „more Cat than folk“ look in general it doesn’t fit my character for weapon and pose if a sculpt gets based on than.

Dark Archive

I just finished my Excel sheet for the
"Bestiary Second Edition".

There have been:
4/13 tiny
27/45 small
84/144 medium
90/129 Large
16/48 HUGE
4/31 GARGANTUAN

225/410 minis produced as Pathfinder Battles miniatures.

That's almost 55%.

If i include D&D and Icons of the Realms there are minis for 307/410 creatures, roughly 75%.

I think we will eventually see all tiny, small, medium, large and huge minis as part of the Pathfinder Battles line.

Out of the 27 missing GARGANTUAN creatures, in my opinion only 3 have the potential to sell reasonably well as a miniature:

-Baomal
-Tarn Linnorm
-Sea Serpent

There are however toys in the exact right size (4 x 4 inches or larger) for:

-Megaprimatus
-Brontosaurus
-Tyrannosaurus
-Kraken
-Phoenix
-Sea Serpent
-Megalodon
-Goliath Spider

There is also a gargantuan Silver Dragon in the Icons of the Realms line.

Still, i guess some gargantuan creatures will never get made or being presented by a close enough proxy if you don't custom-build them.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber
Marco Massoudi wrote:

I just finished my Excel sheet for the

"Bestiary Second Edition".

There have been:
4/13 tiny
27/45 small
84/144 medium
90/129 Large
16/48 HUGE
4/31 GARGANTUAN

225/410 minis produced as Pathfinder Battles miniatures.

That's almost 55%.

If i include D&D and Icons of the Realms there are minis for 307/410 creatures, roughly 75%.

I think we will eventually see all tiny, small, medium, large and huge minis as part of the Pathfinder Battles line.

Out of the 27 missing GARGANTUAN creatures, in my opinion only 3 have the potential to sell reasonably well as a miniature:

-Baomal
-Tarn Linnorm
-Sea Serpent

There are however toys in the exact right size (4 x 4 inches or larger) for:

-Megaprimatus
-Brontosaurus
-Tyrannosaurus
-Kraken
-Phoenix
-Sea Serpent
-Megalodon
-Goliath Spider

There is also a gargantuan Silver Dragon in the Icons of the Realms line.

Still, i guess some gargantuan creatures will never get made or being presented by a close enough proxy if you don't custom-build them.

Would love to see that list, been working on something similar but I don't think I've found as many matches as you have :P I am floating right around 200 matches, but still working on it.

Community / Forums / Paizo / Licensed Products / Miniatures / Paizo Blog: Ancestries Abound All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Miniatures