Legendary Adventures Await!

Monday, August 5, 2019

Back in February, we announced the next set of Pathfinder Battles pre-painted plastic miniatures from our partners at WizKids—Legendary Adventures—and showed off a handful of the figures in the set, including the Huge dragon turtle and some of the pieces of the Goblin Village premium set releasing at the same time.

It’s been a while, but now that Pathfinder Second Edition is out and we’ve got a bit of time to catch our breath, it’s time to look at the rest of the set, which comes out in September.

Since we first announced that Legendary Adventures would include Huge miniatures, one of the figures we heard the most hope for was the aquatic alghollthu, whose meddling in the affairs of humans in ancient times had an incredibly devastating effect on the fate of Golarion. Well, I’m happy to report that the alghollthu is in fact in the set! With an uncommon rarity, this staple of tabletop fantasy is sure to make a splash in campaigns across the world.

3d sculpt of an algholithu miniature: a green fish-like creature with red fins and 4 tentacles sprouting near its front. It has three red eyes lined up vertically in the front of its face.

One of the challenges of assembling this set was that we knew it would be coming out after the release of Pathfinder Second Edition, but the production lead times meant that we had to have art references to WizKids long before the final art for the Core Rulebook and Bestiary were in from our many artists. Breaking from our normal operating procedures, we used concept art and character sketches—many of which came from none other than iconic Pathfinder artist Wayne Reynolds—to make many of the figures. Take, as an example, the kobold soldier, kobold scout, and kobold scalecaster figures below. While we showed off kobolds’ new look back in the spring with the formal announcement of the Pathfinder Bestiary, we worked with WizKids to sculpt and color these figures from black-and-white sketches from Wayne last summer. The trio of Small figures are common and uncommon in rarity and should combine to make a memorable warband of what are sure to be a new fan favorite ancestry.

3 kobold miniature figures. On the left, a red kobold holding a staff before him. The staff is pointed on both ends and looks deadly. In the center, a green kobold wields a large dagger in its left hand and a hand crossbow in its right.  On the right, a blue kobold appears to be a spellcaster, wielding a staff high in the air in his left hand while a blue 'glow' comes from his right.

Kobolds aren’t the only draconic creatures in Legendary Adventures, though. Check out the Huge blue dragon, a rare figure who really dominates the battlefield with its size and intimidating features.

Blue-scale dragon miniature, large wings unfurled.

Along with the announcement of Legendary Adventures, we also showed off all 8 figures in the Legendary Adventures Preview Pack, available this month. Each of these figures appears in the full set as a common figure with a new color scheme, giving collectors twice as many options when using them in play. Here are the final versions of the goblin dog-slicer, goblin guard, halfling slinger (all Small), orc charger, bugbear skulker, orc battler, hobgoblin soldier, and armored elf soldier (all Medium).

8 miniatures shown: a goblin dog-slicer with a lowered sword in hand, goblin guard with large bladed weapon - taller than the guard itself - resting on the ground in hand, halfling slinger, charging orc charger, bugbear skulker with diamond shield and mace, orc battler with sword in hand and additional arrows or spears strapped on the back, hobgoblin soldier with hexagon shield on arm, long spear and pointed sword in hand, and armored elf soldier holding a long sword aloft.

And since you’ve all been so patient, here are previews of two of the "weapon swap" versions of figures above, which both appear in the uncommon rarity: the goblin horse-chopper and orc rampager (Small and Medium, respectively).

2 miniatures shown: a goblin with a long axe in hand, and a charging orc rampager with daggers.

Just this weekend, Vice-President of Marketing & Licensing Jim Butler and Licensing Manager Glenn Elliott showed off some stunning pictures of the Goblin Camp premium set, which you should be able to find on Paizo’s official Twitch channel now, and on our YouTube channel soon. For those who don’t want to dig through all our Gen Com seminar coverage to find them, I’ll show off the premium set along with more character figures from Legendary Adventures next week.

Mark Moreland
Franchise Manager

More Paizo Blog.
Tags: Pathfinder Battles Pathfinder Roleplaying Game WizKids
Shadow Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

Yay, finally a huge Abol...Algothu. Although I’m not 100% sure on the size, could be on the small size maybe? Love the colour and pose.

Awesome goblins. New look is great. With the common and uncommon rarity I can probably replace my existing old school (ha, ha) kobolds after this set.

With the evolution sets we have red, white and now blue dragons at the huge scale. Hopefully we get black and green. I don’t think we need more than that at this time but given the nature of the first AP I suspect we will although I hope we get more unusual pathfinder huge minis instead.

So PFB moves into the alternative minis. I like these as they increase table variety but is the only variation on the orc his colour? So three variations in colour - sample pack and two in this?

Paizo Employee Franchise Manager

1 person marked this as a favorite.

The orc has a different weapon in his hands. It's hard to tell from the angle of the photo.

Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Maps, Rulebook Subscriber

Are those computer models or the actual models themselves?


Adventure Path Charter Subscriber

THANKS Mark! Love that you are doing more of the female monsters! Not a lot of those out and hope to see more.

Paizo Employee Franchise Manager

2 people marked this as a favorite.

These are computer renders. We haven't received physical product yet to show off, but next week there are some "glamour shots" of the premium set that are final production quality.

Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Maps, Rulebook Subscriber

Awesome, I see. Great models nonetheless and will look out for the future previews.

Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Mark Moreland wrote:
The orc has a different weapon in his hands. It's hard to tell from the angle of the photo.

Is the first weapon a pair of Orc Knuckle Daggers and the second a pair Katars?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Great to see Wayne's renditions of draconic kobolds and the various goblinoid cousins in 3Digital.

Those kobolds look like they each share bloodlines with a different chromatic dragon. Love the green kob's horn array. What would metallic dragon derived kobolds think about this severe lack of representation...


Huzzah!

Silver Crusade

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Awww, I was hoping for plushies.

Dark Archive

These rendered images look great! Hopefully the final product looks that good as well. :)

Dark Archive

We now know 22 of 44 minis (50%):

Legendary Adventures set:

COMMON (#01-#13: 13 small & medium minis)
-Kobold Soldier (s)
-Kobold Scout (s)
-Goblin Dogslicer (s)
-Goblin Guard (s)
-Halfling Slinger (s)
-Hobgoblin Soldier (m)
-Orc Charger (m)
-Orc Battler (m)
-Bugbear Skulker (m)
-Armored Elf Soldier (m)

UNCOMMON (#14-#24: 11 small & medium minis)
-Kobold Scalecaster (s)
-Goblin Horsechopper (s)
-Orc Rampager (m)
-Shadow (m)

UNCOMMON (#25-#32: 4 large & 4 huge minis)
-Fire Giant (L)
-Chimera (L)
-Dragon Turtle (H)
-Allghollthu (H)

RARE (#33-40: 8 small & medium minis)
-Dwarf Wizard (m)
-Dwarf Rogue (m)

RARE (#41-#44: 2 large & 2 huge minis)
-Huge Blue Dragon (H)
-Boar Demon (H)

Dark Archive

The "Armored Elf Soldier" is the only mini which looks the exact same in both the preview pack and the picture above..


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Pathfinder Accessories, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Some of these will work quite nicely for Age of Ashes.

Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Pawns, Starfinder Accessories, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber
Marco Massoudi wrote:
The "Armored Elf Soldier" is the only mini which looks the exact same in both the preview pack and the picture above..

Interesting. Do we know if it's alternative paint jobs or if there was a change in the coloring/design from the original preview of the preview pack to the actual minis? I guess I'm asking if the actual minis will be different between the two sets. (I'd be fine with that; it would allow me to get a little variety.)


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook Subscriber

Good to know that the preview pack will already be included in the booster boxes... This may make me re up my sub again, thanks for getting some good Kobold models going!

Paizo Employee Franchise Manager

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Mosaic wrote:
Marco Massoudi wrote:
The "Armored Elf Soldier" is the only mini which looks the exact same in both the preview pack and the picture above..
Interesting. Do we know if it's alternative paint jobs or if there was a change in the coloring/design from the original preview of the preview pack to the actual minis? I guess I'm asking if the actual minis will be different between the two sets. (I'd be fine with that; it would allow me to get a little variety.)

They should be different. One should be more metallic than the other, which doesn't show up well in renders. When comparing the actual figures, you should be able to tell the difference (I hope!).


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

nice stuff, not so sure about the kobolds, but that might be due to scale of the picture.
If more of the preview pack also get a weapon swap, it would discourage me from the preview pack.
the „not aboleth“ looks a bit on the large side.


Some of this will be useful in my first edition campaigns, cool.

Dark Archive

Mark Moreland wrote:
Mosaic wrote:
Marco Massoudi wrote:
The "Armored Elf Soldier" is the only mini which looks the exact same in both the preview pack and the picture above..
Interesting. Do we know if it's alternative paint jobs or if there was a change in the coloring/design from the original preview of the preview pack to the actual minis? I guess I'm asking if the actual minis will be different between the two sets. (I'd be fine with that; it would allow me to get a little variety.)
They should be different. One should be more metallic than the other, which doesn't show up well in renders. When comparing the actual figures, you should be able to tell the difference (I hope!).

Thanks for the info, Mark - much appreciated.:-)

I really like all of the shown renders, even though i think that the "Allghollthu" will be too small, judging from the render size it will be a large size mini on a huge base and end up being smaller than the large "Veiled Master" from Dungeons Deep. I hole i am wrong and that it only looks like it, because it is long instead of high.

The Kobolds look great, even if totally different from both the Bestiary cover and "red Kobold" art.

I don't know about the cat-like pose of the dragon set, but it's good to see the their huge dragon in the PFB line (after the white & red ones from the Evolution packs).
I imagine we are going to get more creatures of the dragon category in this set (maybe the "jungle drake"), as "Age of Ashes" is probably going to feature some more.

I really like the "alternative weapon" Variante, that is a welcome Chance to the dressing pieces (which i also like).

Questions:
1.) Are the two shown the only ones in this set or how many are there?

2.) How many large & huge minis are in the set?
Is it an even 50/50 split?

3.) When will it be possible to start the Pathfinder Battles subscription with this set?
The option is not yet available.

Creatures i think that may be in the set:
-Fire Mephit
-Grauladon
-Charau-Ka
-Boggard
-Door Warden
-Skeletal Hellknight
-Jungle Drake

Dark Archive

Huh, concept art kobolds resemble the second kobold picture in bestiary


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook Subscriber
Marco Massoudi wrote:
Mark Moreland wrote:
Mosaic wrote:
Marco Massoudi wrote:
The "Armored Elf Soldier" is the only mini which looks the exact same in both the preview pack and the picture above..
Interesting. Do we know if it's alternative paint jobs or if there was a change in the coloring/design from the original preview of the preview pack to the actual minis? I guess I'm asking if the actual minis will be different between the two sets. (I'd be fine with that; it would allow me to get a little variety.)
They should be different. One should be more metallic than the other, which doesn't show up well in renders. When comparing the actual figures, you should be able to tell the difference (I hope!).

.....

Creatures i think that may be in the set:
-Fire Mephit
-Grauladon
-Charau-Ka
-Boggard
-Door Warden
-Skeletal Hellknight
-Jungle Drake

Those would all be nice, what I am really hoping for is forward thinking and filling out the Age of Ashes Adventure Path so we have them on hand before the Adventures arrive. Man that would be nice.

Seriously, as they announce more of the models coming in this set the more tempted I am to start up a subscription. Great work Paizo!


I really like this set. Although I paint my own minis, and proudly so, I might buy some of this.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

Love the new kobold color schemes.

Dark Archive

4 people marked this as a favorite.

Official Legendary Adventures Gallery with pictures of the actual preview pack & goblin village minis

The goblin village looks really nice and could also be used for a generic walled village.

Dark Archive

We know another mini in the set:
The "Halfling Wizard", it's on the Booster box.

It will probably be another rare.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

I guess we also get the goblin chief with a base, as in the crimison throne set with the queen and emperor.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook Subscriber
Marco Massoudi wrote:

Official Legendary Adventures Gallery with pictures of the actual preview pack & goblin village minis

The goblin village looks really nice and could also be used for a generic walled village.

Yup, that did it, pretty sure that right there just got me to start subscribing to the mini's line....

Scarab Sages

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

Definitely finding the number of redraws (goblins, orcs, kobolds, etc) of previously released miniatures concerning. Hoping this is just happening for the first PF2 Battles release and not a harbinger of things to come. There will be a deluge of 3PP releasing "new" PF2 modules which are just updated versions of a PF1 module, so I likewise don't want to see this become a thing for miniatures where the sets have figures that have been in other sets but look different due to new art.

Liberty's Edge

davrion wrote:
Definitely finding the number of redraws (goblins, orcs, kobolds, etc) of previously released miniatures concerning. Hoping this is just happening for the first PF2 Battles release and not a harbinger of things to come. There will be a deluge of 3PP releasing "new" PF2 modules which are just updated versions of a PF1 module, so I likewise don't want to see this become a thing for miniatures where the sets have figures that have been in other sets but look different due to new art.

Wanna second this. If you really like being mini accurate and bought and painted older PF minis I don’t wanna be updating/repainting minis that clash with art drastically every new edition.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder Second Edition / Third-Party Pathfinder RPG Products / Product Discussion / Paizo Blog: Legendary Adventures Await! All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.