PACG at Origins and Free RPG Day!

Friday, June 14, 2019

Greetings from Columbus, Ohio! This is a brief blog to let you know what the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game doings are at Origins Game Fair (in Columbus) and on Free RPG Day (at participating retailers worldwide) this weekend.

At Origins, there's PACG play in the Franklin Rooms pretty much all the time. If you're here and you haven't seen the new Pathfinder Adventure Card Game Core Set and Curse of the Crimson Throne Adventure Path, now's your chance to dive in. Plus, you'll be able to play all 4 scenarios of The Fangwood Thieves, the new Season of the Kobolds adventure for Pathfinder Adventure Card Society. (If you've never played PACS before, this is a great place to start!) It's a rollicking good time.

I'll be here throughout the weekend, mostly doing my annual nightly broadcast from the Big Bar on 2 with my co-hosts Paul Peterson and Gaby Weidling (remember them?). If you like lots of guests and assorted silliness, tune into the Lone Shark Games Twitch channel each night. Last night's broadcast should already be up!

And then on Saturday, it's Free RPG Day! As I mentioned in a previous blog, we took this opportunity to write a whole new goblin adventure using the Core Set! We Be Heroes? is a weird, wild adventure of good-guy gobbos dealing with paladins, undead, and strange chickens. It includes 4 new goblin characters, though you can play it with any of the 159 (!) other PACG characters we've released over the years. You'll like it. Pick it up at any participating store or try it at Origins. If you can't get to one of those locations, though, don't worry—starting July 1, you'll be able to download the FREE PDF or buy a print copy from paizo.com.

We're also pleased to announce that We Be Heroes? is officially sanctioned for Pathfinder Adventure Card Society play. Just download this sanctioning document (218 KB zip/PDF), which describes the adjustments you need to make the adventure PACS-legal. (We will soon be issuing similar sanctioning documents for The Dragon's Demand and Curse of the Crimson Throne.)

Since We Be Heroes? is for starting characters, it didn't make sense to include roles for our new goblin heroes in that adventure. But we will be releasing them online so you can take them all the way through any Adventure Path—if you can keep them alive, that is. We're doing something very new for these: One of the two roles you can choose for each goblin uses a concept called goblin markers. Here's how they work: Each goblin picks a pattern of marker that's theirs. When various circumstances occur (such as Crimsi examining a barrier or Siathorn stealing an Animal ally from another character), they get to mark their character with one of their goblin markers. Feats allow them to count and spend the markers for all manner of craziness, such as the Kitbasher Crimsi letting a friend examine the top card of a few location decks then move to one of them. (Crimsi's friend will probably take only a small amount of damage in the process; I wouldn't worry about it too much if I were Crimsi.) There are only 7 of each marker in the box, so no goblin can have more than 7—unless you're playing Pizazz, who has a feat that lets him swipe a marker from another goblin to heal himself.

It's going to be a fun weekend! Hope to see you at Origins and Free RPG Day!

Mike Selinker
Adventure Card Game Lead Designer

More Paizo Blog.
Tags: Conventions Free RPG Day Goblins Pathfinder Adventure Card Game
Silver Crusade

Thank you very much, we were starting to think you'd forgotten about the PACS enthusiasts

Lone Shark Games

5 people marked this as a favorite.

Are you kidding? We have SO MUCH STUFF planned for PACS, you have no idea. But you will soon!


Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber

Wow. Season of the Kobolds? That's the first I'm hearing about this, can we learn a bit more? Is this a regular-sized season, or more like the mini-Season of the Goblins AP?


Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber

Season of the Bunyips!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber

Very exciting developments!

Can't wait to play that fourth character because I'll take the lack of mention to mean that they're the real hero!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Images of the goblin characters can be found here.

Lone Shark Games

Longshot11 wrote:
Wow. Season of the Kobolds? That's the first I'm hearing about this, can we learn a bit more? Is this a regular-sized season, or more like the mini-Season of the Goblins AP?

Definitely. We're road-testing it here at Origins and then it will be in wide release very soon!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Some folks are using the new Goblin characters in the upcoming Cards Against Gnomanity II. In case they couldn't grab the Free RPG Day booklet, here's the relevant info for those characters:

Starting decks:

Grenek: W:4: Ar:2; I:3; Al:3; B:3 (Favored: Melee Weapon)

Crimsi: W:3: Ar:1; I:5; Al:3; B:3 (Favored: Bow Weapon)

Siathorn w/ Mitzi cohort: W:1: Sp:5; Ar:1; I:1; Al:5; B:2 (Favored: Spell or Animal Ally)

Pizazz: W:1: Sp:4; I:3; Al:4; B:3 (Favored: Spell or Instrument Item)

The booklet itself contains two scenarios. The second scenario is split, with an Act I and Act II.


Season of the Golems!


Thanks for the Free RPG Day fun! My daughter and I went to our local gaming store in our Pathfinder shirts to run this fun adventure.

Any chance those characters will become Guild legal, maybe using either the Goblins Fight deck or the Goblins Burn deck?

Lone Shark Games

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Whipstitch wrote:

Thanks for the Free RPG Day fun! My daughter and I went to our local gaming store in our Pathfinder shirts to run this fun adventure.

Any chance those characters will become Guild legal, maybe using either the Goblins Fight deck or the Goblins Burn deck?

100% chance.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Whipstitch wrote:
Any chance those characters will become Guild legal, maybe using either the Goblins Fight deck or the Goblins Burn deck?

Due to the forward-thinkingness of Paizo, the decks associated with the new goblins are already in the organized play Guide (p. 8).

You can use either the goblin fight/burn decks (as listed in Guide) for the goblins, or you can use the appropriate class decks. E.g., Grenek can use either the Barbarian Class Deck or Goblins Fight!.


Thank you for the clarification! Thus far, I've been concentrating far more on the new rules than the new Guild guide.


Sigh...great...another Goblin adventure module for Free RPG Day. Nutbunnies. :(


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Wooohooo!

Another Goblin adventure for free,
this time for the ACG!
Lots of fun for all to see,
now hurry up please and release it to me!

:)


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Card Game Subscriber

Is there any chance these lovely new Goblins will get roles at some future date? Or real character cards?

Lone Shark Games

Roles real soon.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Just wanted to say I had a blast with We Be Heroes? on Sat for Free RPG day. Nothing says goblins like getting chased by a chicken lol.


Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber

Yay, the Goblin adventure will be sanctioned! And, Season of Kobolds? Sign me up! (I uh, well, I'll just say it: Kobolds > Goblins!) Any chance of a real kobold character deck release? Either way, glad to see a Season coming for the New Card Game! My local PFS lodge will be very happy about these two things!


Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber
Kamicosmos wrote:
Yay, the Goblin adventure will be sanctioned! And, Season of Kobolds? Sign me up! (I uh, well, I'll just say it: Kobolds > Goblins!) Any chance of a real kobold character deck release? Either way, glad to see a Season coming for the New Card Game! My local PFS lodge will be very happy about these two things!

I believe this is the start of Season of the Kobolds?

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

It's actually the ENTIRE Season of the Kobolds. A short season for short monsters, I guess.


Vic Wertz wrote:
It's actually the ENTIRE Season of the Kobolds. A short season for short monsters, I guess.

We need a Season of Sea Dragons (or possibly Oriental Dragons) then :)

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens Subscriber

Skitter Crash cannot be reported yet... :-(

Paizo Employee Webstore Coordinator

I believe this should be all fixed now! Go ahead and give it a try, and let me know if you're still having troubles with it. Thanks!


Katina Davis wrote:
I believe this should be all fixed now! Go ahead and give it a try, and let me know if you're still having troubles with it. Thanks!

Unless I'm just skipping over it somehow, I don't see the option for reporting We Be Heroes.

And just for clarity: Is the adventure path reward a permanent thing?
After finishing both scenarios of We Be Heroes, is a player allowed to always add either or both promos to as many class decks as they want even if they only finished the AP once?

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Katina is looking into the reporting; I'm checking the designer's intent on the reward.

Paizo Employee Webstore Coordinator

1 person marked this as a favorite.
YinYang1st wrote:
Katina Davis wrote:
I believe this should be all fixed now! Go ahead and give it a try, and let me know if you're still having troubles with it. Thanks!

Unless I'm just skipping over it somehow, I don't see the option for reporting We Be Heroes.

And just for clarity: Is the adventure path reward a permanent thing?
After finishing both scenarios of We Be Heroes, is a player allowed to always add either or both promos to as many class decks as they want even if they only finished the AP once?

Sorry about that, I think I got my wires crossed and just did the section for Skitter Crash. You should now see reporting options for both the RPG and ACG versions of We Be Heroes. Just let me know if it's still not showing.


Katina Davis wrote:
YinYang1st wrote:
Katina Davis wrote:
I believe this should be all fixed now! Go ahead and give it a try, and let me know if you're still having troubles with it. Thanks!

Unless I'm just skipping over it somehow, I don't see the option for reporting We Be Heroes.

And just for clarity: Is the adventure path reward a permanent thing?
After finishing both scenarios of We Be Heroes, is a player allowed to always add either or both promos to as many class decks as they want even if they only finished the AP once?
Sorry about that, I think I got my wires crossed and just did the section for Skitter Crash. You should now see reporting options for both the RPG and ACG versions of We Be Heroes. Just let me know if it's still not showing.

Didn't check for the RPG version, but ACG is showing up as a single listing. Should the two scenarios be reported as one?

Paizo Employee Webstore Coordinator

Nope, there should be separate entries for the RPG and the ACG version.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Katina Davis wrote:
Nope, there should be separate entries for the RPG and the ACG version.

I believe Yinyang1st meant that in the ACG We Be Heroes? product, there are two scenarios but there is only one scenario available on the website for reporting it.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber

There should be be two reportable items in the list for We Be Heroes (ACG):
WBH 1A: Dead Meat
WBH 1B: Chicken Run

There are a number of other scenarios missing from the list as well.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder Adventure Card Game / General Discussion / Paizo Blog: PACG at Origins and Free RPG Day! All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.