Kingmaker 10th Anniversary Campaign Begins!

Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Nearly a decade ago, the Kingmaker Adventure Path helped lead the way with an open-ended "sandbox" style adventure that encouraged exploration and conquest in a rugged wilderness. Its open-world narrative and kingdom-building elements gave players and Game Masters unparalleled freedom to explore and shape the world with their heroic actions. It has become one of the best-selling and most beloved campaigns in Pathfinder's history.

Today, we are proud to announce the Kingmaker 10th Anniversary crowdfunding campaign has begun with our friends at Game On Tabletop! You can see all the details now at KingmakerCampaign.com. Explore the books, the Add-Ons, and the Level-Ups. Help us build a bigger, better, more immersive Kingmaker campaign.

Together, we'll take your new kingdom—and the Kingmaker campaign—to new heights of power!

Make your pledge on Game On Tabletop!

More Paizo Blog.
Tags: Kingmaker Pathfinder Adventure Path
51 to 100 of 324 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>

1 person marked this as a favorite.

So these will be retail after? Or... I only want the pawns, since I'm not interested in pf2e or 5e

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber
Jeff Alvarez on the comments section wrote:

Q: Will these books also be available from www.paizo.com or in FLG stores after the backers have received their copies?

A: Yes, *most* everything from the crowdfunding will be available at both.


Grumpus wrote:
Do we know how much the hardcover will cost for non-backers when this releases to the general public? I assume more than $80

Well, the $80 pledge also includes the cost of the PDF, so it's possible that it will work out cheaper than $80 when it reaches retail. Mind, it wouldn't be in Paizo's interest to state what that cost will be now since it might dissuade those interested to pledge now.

Dark Archive

And the Pawn Box is funded after 19.5 hours.
It is $40.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Pawns are unlocked!

I just noticed that the Forest Kingdom Compendium PDF from Legendary Games is only available for D&D, which is a bit strange, since the original Pathfinder First Edition version of this book exists, too. Too bad Legendary Games aren't creating a Pathfinder Second Edition version.

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 32

xris wrote:
Grumpus wrote:
Do we know how much the hardcover will cost for non-backers when this releases to the general public? I assume more than $80
Well, the $80 pledge also includes the cost of the PDF, so it's possible that it will work out cheaper than $80 when it reaches retail. Mind, it wouldn't be in Paizo's interest to state what that cost will be now since it might dissuade those interested to pledge now.

True, but if this crowdforging program is a big enough discount on the regular price, it will get me to buy it NOW without even seeing the 2E rules. As it stands now, I'll wait to see if I like 2E, and then decide in 18 months whether they get my money.


so what are the "Weight marker x50" supposed to be?

Added:
Ah, I see. they are placeholders for future goals. So the question is "will there be enough stretch goals to justify me jumping from the $80 pledge to the $150 pledge"? I have no interest in the companion volume, but I would like the 1e bestiary. So I have to add $35 regardless. So - am I spending $115 or $185 on this?

Right now, it's $115.

Dark Archive

Zi Mishkal wrote:
so what are the "Weight marker x50" supposed to be?

They are placeholders for future add-ons.

Dark Archive

From Gameontabletop:

"And just like that, the first add-on product of the Kingmaker 10th Anniversary crowdfunding campaign is unlocked! Thanks for helping us produce the Kingmaker Pawn Box. Make sure to add it to your cart on checkout to increase immersion in your Kingmaker campaign. That’s far from the last add-on product we have in store for you, though.

Next up is the first of several Kingmaker Flip-Mat Multi-Packs! This miniature-scale battle map measures 24” by 30” unfolded, and its coated surface can handle any dry erase, wet erase, or permanent marker notations you need to add during play. The Noble Manor Flip-Mat Multi-Pack contains a pair of double-sided maps—two sides of which combine to present a sprawling noble manor featured in the campaign’s prologue, while the other sides present alternate versions of the throne room your PCs are destined to rule a kingdom from! Spread the word about this crowdfunding campaign to help us unlock this and many more exciting expansions to the Kingmaker Adventure Path!

Pledge now"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path Subscriber

I said I'd be in if there was PF1 support. There's PF1 support. So I'm in.

Kudos to Paizo for properly leveraging this as a gateway drug to PF2. I'm only buying it because I know it has value to me and my PF1 groups, but who knows what edition I'll actually run whenever we get to it.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I wish I had a better idea of what kinds of unlocks for ruler level there might be, because I actually kinda don't like faux-leather covers.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Got the early bird ruler level. So happy with how fast the campaign is blazing through. Keep it up guys!


The Golux wrote:
I wish I had a better idea of what kinds of unlocks for ruler level there might be, because I actually kinda don't like faux-leather covers.

I'm with you! I would be way more likely to buy the higher level if I actually knew what the later inclusions might be.


Paizo Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Superscriber
Warped Savant wrote:
The Golux wrote:
I wish I had a better idea of what kinds of unlocks for ruler level there might be, because I actually kinda don't like faux-leather covers.
I'm with you! I would be way more likely to buy the higher level if I actually knew what the later inclusions might be.

Yeah they need to show more of the stretch goals... The first two (pawns and maps) are unlocking additional purchase add-ons. The next one adds content to the companion book. (which should affect everyone getting the companion book, its not tied to a Ruler pledge), so none of the listed level-ups apply to Ruler/Spymaster. People can't make a decision as to what type of extra value it will have.

It seems like there's a plan for a number of additional flip mats(paid add-on), and there's a plan to go from 32 to 160 pages in the companion... at like ~12? per related level up(freebie if book purchased). That seems like a lot of content already spoken for that isn't Ruler based.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I agree that Paizo should add a lot of new add-ons today, as the $130K one will be reached in the next few hours.

-We already know that the Flip-mat multipack will only be the first one of many planned ones.
-We also know that there will be a map-pack.
-We know that the Companion Guide which only includes two companions so far, will add Amiri as third character (16 pages) at $150K. There are still:
Jaethal, Half-Elf Inquisitor,
Tristian, Human Cleric,
Ekundayo, Human Ranger,
Regongar, Half-Orc Magus,
Octavia, Half-Elf Arcane Trickster
Valerie, Human Fighter
Harrim, Dwarf Cleric
and that it could grow to 160 pages.
-We also know that the 576-page Kingmaker Adventure Path hardcover could grow to 720 pages.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Is the only difference between the General and the Spymaster the faux-leather cover on the book?


Bluescale wrote:
Is the only difference between the General and the Spymaster the faux-leather cover on the book?

Supposedly there will be later things added to spymaster/ruler if they are unlocked but we really don't know what any of them are yet.


Paizo Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Superscriber

The only difference at present is that both the AP book and the companion book get the faux-leather cover. The mention Ruler only unlocks, but we've seen no examples of one yet to know.

They've said both the AP book and the companion book have more content to add to them, but I'd doubt that new content is Ruler only -- it should end up in the non-special edition versions too.

Liberty's Edge

Grumpus wrote:
Do we know how much the hardcover will cost for non-backers when this releases to the general public? I assume more than $80

Curse of the Crimson Throne was $100 for the combo of book + PDF. So that's a half-price PDF.

Assuming shipping is the same or cheaper...


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
The Golux wrote:
Bluescale wrote:
Is the only difference between the General and the Spymaster the faux-leather cover on the book?
Supposedly there will be later things added to spymaster/ruler if they are unlocked but we really don't know what any of them are yet.

If Spymaster/Ruler gets unlocks but General doesn't, I wonder if there will be a way to get Ruler but ask for the normal cover (I really don't like faux-leather covers).


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Expanded content for the AP + PF1 bestiary + pawn set?

...I guess I'm buying Kingmaker twice. =P And in the same month as PaizoCon, too. My budget is now making angry faces at me.

Paizo Employee PR Manager

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Papa-DRB wrote:
Zaister wrote:
Papa-DRB wrote:

Is it really $999.00 shipping for the $100.00 print/pdf/slipcase ?

-- david

That seems excessive. :) Check out the FAQ list on the crowdfunding page, there was a mention of this issue.
Thanks Zaister, I sent them an email -- david

Sorry about the confusion. Here is our statement from the FAQs:

"My shipping rates are 999.9$, is that a mistake ?

This means that the address you provided is not in our shipping table. Please contact us by clicking the "envelope" button on the right side of the page."

Dark Archive

We have reached $110K.
Less than $20K to unlock the second of so far three shown add-ons.

I hope we´ll be shown new unlocks after 24 hours have passed at 21:30.

The Exchange

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Backed at the $80 level I can eat $10 if they have really good ruler rewards.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Marc Waschle wrote:
Backed at the $80 level I can eat $10 if they have really good ruler rewards.

Yeah, this is my plan too. I backed the PFO blindly at higher levels, but then I was single without any large purchases coming up. Now I have a family and a house to buy. Priorities.

I haven't backed yet because I want to see what' the other stretch goals will be, and so far there isn't incentive to back early. The one reason to back early has no details on it other than the promise of wonderful things if a lot of other people back it. And while I'm likely (and hope to be wrong) I don't see this going much higher than $200K, if that.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

I was going to hold off on backing this until I saw the "Spymaster" reward level. So I decided to go in for a bit more than I originally wanted since I wouldn't be able to go back to it later.

Silver Crusade

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Pathfinder Accessories, Pawns, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Another level up has been revealed: at $200k the main book expands to 592 pages with the addition of "The Cursed King" epilogue taking the adventure path to level 20

Dark Archive

We are $15K away from the flip-mat double pack that depicts the noble manor from the new adventure path prologue & the throne room of the pcs kingdom.
That add-on is going a lot slower than the pawns box.

What i don't get is the additional $20K after that for a measly 16 pages of Amiri added to the already under-developed 32 pages companion book (which has Linzi, the halfling bard & Jubilost, the gnome alchemist).
That is a big sum for a very underwhelming freebee.

I think it is important to add new stretch goals after the $150K one that people really want - like the hexploration poster map folio or an addition to the actual campaign book.


Paizo Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Superscriber

hmm new stretch goals posted out through 200k (only one new one, large jump) and still nothing that seems Ruler unlock relevant.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Okay, the new add-on at $200K is another freebie.
It increases the pagecount of the hardcover from 576 to 592 - only 16 pages more for $50K?!
And these 16 pages are supposed to bring the campaign from level 18 to level 20???

I'm sorry, but you should alternate between freebies and add-ons and put in a $175K or $180K add-on.

Paizo Employee Chief Operations Officer

2 people marked this as a favorite.
NielsenE wrote:

hmm new stretch goals posted out through 200k (only one new one, large jump) and still nothing that seems Ruler unlock relevant.

Loads of stretch goals will add value to the Ruler level. Some in the form of 16pg additions to both the AP book and the Companion book and some are free Add-On products that apply only to the Ruler level (and not General).

Paizo Employee Franchise Manager

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Marco Massoudi wrote:

Okay, the new add-on at $200K is another freebie.

It increases the pagecount of the hardcover from 576 to 592 - only 16 pages more for $50K?!
And these 16 pages are supposed to bring the campaign from level 18 to level 20???

Just because the book increases by 16 pages and also promises to contain additional content doesn't mean that the new content will take up exactly 16 pages. Some content will take up more and some will take up fewer. But in the end, the book gets bigger and it will contain more content.

Similarly, adding 16 pages and Amiri to the Companion Guide doesn't mean she'll have as much content about her as Linzi and Jubilost share. It just means that we'll include three companions' worth of side-quests and such and that the book will be 48 pages instead of 32.

Once we know exactly what content has been unlocked and what our final page counts are, we'll block out sections for the design and development team to fill. Until the campaign's over on May 21, however, we can't really even begin to start building the books.


Paizo Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Superscriber

Yes, I understand that. But we haven't seen an example yet of an Add-on that apply to Ruler only yet. And given the spacing of the unlocks, it seems to be a while until we see one. So its hard to understand what type of bonus things will be added to Ruler that aren't also added to General (all content inclusions to both books)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Hm, so if I'd want the ruler level unlocks I'm stuck with the faux leather covers? I'd really prefer the normal editions over that.

Paizo Employee Franchise Manager

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Zaister wrote:
Hm, so if I'd want the ruler level unlocks I'm stuck with the faux leather covers? I'd really prefer the normal editions over that.

All the Ruler level unlocks are also available as individual add-ons if you don't want to back at the Ruler level for whatever reason. They're just added to the Ruler rewards without extra charge.


Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Thanks, I'll wait and see what comes up then. I just like covers with artwork better than the relatively boring design of the faux leather books.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Huzzah!
Thank you, Paizo, for listening to your customers and including the 1e book!
If I weren't a poor, broke college student, I would absolutely be backing the project, but since I am, all I can do is voice my vocal approval for both the compilation and the 1e support.


Jeff Alvarez wrote:
NielsenE wrote:

hmm new stretch goals posted out through 200k (only one new one, large jump) and still nothing that seems Ruler unlock relevant.

Loads of stretch goals will add value to the Ruler level. Some in the form of 16pg additions to both the AP book and the Companion book and some are free Add-On products that apply only to the Ruler level (and not General).

The 16 page additions aren't somehow exclusive to the Ruler level, are they? Anyone who backs at General (or even less as long as it includes both PDFs) should still get those, right?

Paizo Employee Chief Operations Officer

1 person marked this as a favorite.
The Golux wrote:
Jeff Alvarez wrote:
NielsenE wrote:

hmm new stretch goals posted out through 200k (only one new one, large jump) and still nothing that seems Ruler unlock relevant.

Loads of stretch goals will add value to the Ruler level. Some in the form of 16pg additions to both the AP book and the Companion book and some are free Add-On products that apply only to the Ruler level (and not General).
The 16 page additions aren't somehow exclusive to the Ruler level, are they? Anyone who backs at General (or even less as long as it includes both PDFs) should still get those, right?

Hey Golux, all of the page increase stretch goals apply to all versions of the books at all the pledge levels so if we unlock a stretch goal that adds 16-pgs to the Companion book, every companion book gets the increase (no matter what). The main difference between the Ruler and General tiers are the exclusive leatherette cover treatment and some Add-On products are free to the Ruler tier and not the General tier.

Scarab Sages Contributor, RPG Superstar 2008 Top 4, Legendary Games

2 people marked this as a favorite.
PFRPGrognard wrote:

Thanks for including some options for classic Pathfinder.

Nice add-ons! The Forest Campaign Compendium is a brilliant addition to anyone's Kingmaker game.

Thanks for saying so. We really enjoyed creating it and expanding an AP that we loved writing back in the day!

Scarab Sages Contributor, RPG Superstar 2008 Top 4, Legendary Games

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Feros wrote:
I love how Paizo is partnering with Legendary Games for this. Bravo all around! :D

Thanks, we're excited to make it happen!

Scarab Sages Contributor, RPG Superstar 2008 Top 4, Legendary Games

8 people marked this as a favorite.
Zaister wrote:

Pawns are unlocked!

I just noticed that the Forest Kingdom Compendium PDF from Legendary Games is only available for D&D, which is a bit strange, since the original Pathfinder First Edition version of this book exists, too. Too bad Legendary Games aren't creating a Pathfinder Second Edition version.

We will be creating a PF2 version eventually, but it's not something we're offering up right now. Since we are a separate company from Paizo and this project is primarily focused on their Kingmaker project, they can't really offer something from us that doesn't exist yet. The 5E and PF1 versions of the Forest Kingdom Campaign Compendium are available right now, so that's easy to include.

When the crowdfunding campaign ends, people who pledged for the 5E and PF1 PDFs of the Forest Kingdom Campaign Compendium can get them right away, and Paizo will be sending out an email to all backers letting them know that they can then order the hardcover directly from us at half price (since they've already paid for the PDF at $25, another $25 plus shipping gets them the hardcover).

Us offering to make a PF2 version of the book a year and a half from now, though? That would require them to offer something from another company over which they don't have full control, which could lead to unfortunate PR if for some reason we didn't come through. Witness the blowback over the Ninja Division thing.

Even though we're operating in full trust as partners on this project, and as people who regularly work with Paizo on other projects too, I think its entirely reasonable for Paizo to play it close to the vest.

So what *is* our plan for PF2 Kingmake… I mean "Forest Kingdom" plug-ins? :)

1. We'll release individual components of the book as their own standalone PDFs, just as we have for 5E and PF1, like Cold Mountain, Conquering Heroes, Faerie Bargains, Coldwood Codex, and so on. We are hoping to have the first of these available at or shortly after GenCon this year. The whole point of "AP Plug-Ins" was that they were perfectly designed to fit within published APs, but also to function beautifully in any kind of campaign that focuses on similar themes - in this case wilderness exploration, the fey, and establishing a dominion of your own.

2. We'll likely be aiming to release a full PF2 compilation of the Forest Kingdom Campaign Compendium around the same time that Paizo releases their Kingmaker PF2 stuff in late 2020. That gives us plenty of ramp and runway to get the book up and running and ready.

3. We might create a Patreon page for people to follow the creation of the project and to be able to purchase the products along the way. I'm just speaking this into existence, but we might even do it in such a way that Patrons who support all through the project would get the hardback book (and listing as a Patron in the credits) for free, since they've already been paying along the way.

Fear not - we've got plenty of plans to do some amazing stuff in and around this project, including something VERY big we're going to be announcing soon!

Dark Archive

Mark Moreland wrote:
Marco Massoudi wrote:

Okay, the new add-on at $200K is another freebie.

It increases the pagecount of the hardcover from 576 to 592 - only 16 pages more for $50K?!
And these 16 pages are supposed to bring the campaign from level 18 to level 20???

Just because the book increases by 16 pages and also promises to contain additional content doesn't mean that the new content will take up exactly 16 pages. Some content will take up more and some will take up fewer. But in the end, the book gets bigger and it will contain more content.

Similarly, adding 16 pages and Amiri to the Companion Guide doesn't mean she'll have as much content about her as Linzi and Jubilost share. It just means that we'll include three companions' worth of side-quests and such and that the book will be 48 pages instead of 32.

Once we know exactly what content has been unlocked and what our final page counts are, we'll block out sections for the design and development team to fill. Until the campaign's over on May 21, however, we can't really even begin to start building the books.

Thanks for the explaination, Mark.

That makes much more sense to me now. :-)

Liberty's Edge

I backed it even though I am not 100% on 2E. Looks pretty.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

New Stretch goals announced!
230k$ Poster Map Folio - included for free for Rulers level
250k$ Companion Guide: Tristian + 16p
300k$ AP expansion "Barony": new kingdom events & new customization options + 16p


Marco Massoudi wrote:

Okay, the new add-on at $200K is another freebie.

It increases the pagecount of the hardcover from 576 to 592 - only 16 pages more for $50K?!
And these 16 pages are supposed to bring the campaign from level 18 to level 20???

I'm sorry, but you should alternate between freebies and add-ons and put in a $175K or $180K add-on.

Getting the events of "The Cursed King" from the CRPG to the table? *-* We are fighting one of the greatest forces of the First World! That's an amazing addition...

But now, what could make the main hardcover reach 720 pages? Setting articles and additional side quests? More kingdom building rules? I'm really hoping to see additional products, but I can't deny I'm more anxious to see the book reaching 720 pages.


Pathfinder Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
The Gold Sovereign wrote:
Marco Massoudi wrote:

Okay, the new add-on at $200K is another freebie.

It increases the pagecount of the hardcover from 576 to 592 - only 16 pages more for $50K?!
And these 16 pages are supposed to bring the campaign from level 18 to level 20???

I'm sorry, but you should alternate between freebies and add-ons and put in a $175K or $180K add-on.

Getting the events of "The Cursed King" from the CRPG to the table? *-* We are fighting one of the greatest forces of the First World! That's an amazing addition...

But now, what could make the main hardcover reach 720 pages? Setting articles and additional side quests? More kingdom building rules? I'm really hoping to see additional products, but I can't deny I'm more anxious to see the book reaching 720 pages.

If it get there, it will be very close to two times the size of the Rise of the Runelords book, that was at 428p. (ok ok, it's still ~120 pages short, but still... that will be a MASSIVE book.)


Paizo Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Superscriber

Thank you for posting the stretch goals out a little further -- it helps to see the folio, etc to understand what types of things are considered for adding to the Ruler pledge.

Now just got to hope that momentum stays good and we get there (and further)

Paizo Employee CEO

7 people marked this as a favorite.
Grumpus wrote:
xris wrote:
Grumpus wrote:
Do we know how much the hardcover will cost for non-backers when this releases to the general public? I assume more than $80
Well, the $80 pledge also includes the cost of the PDF, so it's possible that it will work out cheaper than $80 when it reaches retail. Mind, it wouldn't be in Paizo's interest to state what that cost will be now since it might dissuade those interested to pledge now.
True, but if this crowdforging program is a big enough discount on the regular price, it will get me to buy it NOW without even seeing the 2E rules. As it stands now, I'll wait to see if I like 2E, and then decide in 18 months whether they get my money.

I did most of the pricing for the add-on and I tried to give a nice discount to the backers on GameOn Tabletop. So if a product is normally $25, I listed it at $20. So buying it now will definitely save you a few dollars on each product that we are later selling into retail stores later in 2020.

-Lisa


That is awesome to get confirmation on, Lisa; thank you!

51 to 100 of 324 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / General Discussion / Paizo Blog: Kingmaker 10th Anniversary Campaign Begins! All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.