PaizoCon 2018 Events Schedule is Live!

Tuesday, May 1, 2018

The events schedule for PaizoCon 2018 is now live and the process for event registration has begun.

Signing up for events at PaizoCon begins with an event lottery. The lottery allows hundreds of fans to get an equal chance at claiming a coveted spot at small events run by Paizo Staff like Crystal Fraiser running a special author edition preview of our Free RPG Day adventure We Be 5uper Goblins, gaming industry veterans like Jessica Redekop running Celestial Intrigue and RPG publishers like Legendary Games running their multi-table Legendary Planet Special: Hope and Salvation, and many, many more.

The first step in the lottery process is to head to our events page and set your event preferences. Games that are part of the lottery will allow you to rank from 0 (don't want at all) to 4 (really want). Our lottery code is designed so that the more events you rank honestly the more likely you are to get an event that you want. Ranking preferences goes until on Tuesday, May 8th at 2:00 PM Pacific time so don't delay.

After the preferences sign up closes, we will run our lottery process. For each day, people with PaizoCon badges on their accounts who have set preferences are randomly ordered and attendees are assigned an event based on their preferences. If all of your #4 events are full, it moves onto events you ranked as 3's, then 2's and so on until either you are placed in an event for that day or there is nothing left that you have a ranked preference for. If the lottery goes through all accounts and there are still games left, it repeats the process until all lottery events for that day are full or everyone who made a preference selections have been assigned events. The lottery runs through each day separately. After the lottery runs, we do a quick internal check of the results to make sure the code behaved as it should and then on Wednesday, May 9th at 10:00 AM Pacific time we should be uploading the results to your online schedule.

For attendees that must game with another attendee, we do have a buddy system. We recommend that only attendees that cannot game alone use this system. If users are marked as buddies during the preferences ranking period, the lottery will pair them together in events that one of the attendees is placed in. If there is only one space left in an event, neither buddy will get that event. Once the lottery has been run, buddies no longer affect event placement and during open registration, and accounts must register for any additional events separately.

When the lottery results are live, you'll be able to trade and sign up for open events. These are most of the organized play games, seminars, workshops and any games that were part of the lottery that did not fill up. We're leaving open event registration open as long as possible, however we will need to close it on Monday May 21st so that we can print off event tickets and prepare attendees registration packets.

Let us know if you have any questions about how the event lottery and registration work. We look forward to seeing you in just a few weeks!

Sara Marie
Customer Service Manager

More Paizo Blog.
Tags: Community Conventions PaizoCon PaizoCon 2018
1 to 50 of 90 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

Huzzah!

Contributor

3 people marked this as a favorite.

Thanks for all the hard work, Sara Marie!


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Card Game, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Thanks for all the organization and hard work.

Is there going to be a Starfinder Special or just the Pathfinder one?


Starfinder Superscriber

The Starfinder special (SFS #1-99) won't launch until Origins three weeks after PaizoCon, unfortunately.

We haven't heard any news of it running anywhere on the west coast, either. I hope we can pull together a game day to run it in August in Portland but that's pending a lot of work and Paizo's approval.

Scarab Sages

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Maps, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

Are there no lottery games on Monday? I'm not seeing anything there in the lottery category.

Paizo Employee Customer Service & Community Manager

5 people marked this as a favorite.

Monday has always been a hard day to schedule. I've toyed around with a lot of different ideas since we expanded to 4 days (3.5) and I'm finally doing a bit of an experiment for 2018.

We'll have Organized Play Games in the Grand Ballroom, 2 tables of Playtest Delves with the design team running them in the morning followed by a Playtest Feedback seminar, Starfinder Delve, and (the experimental part) the Evergreen rooms will have a host of Paizo employees with boardgames, card games or other shorter, casual games, I believe we even have a employee or two that are planning on hooking up video games on the projector in one of the Olympic seminar rooms. Reaction from staff so far has been quite positive as it provides a relaxed structure for getting to play games and hang out with the community. My goal is to help facilitate staff and fans getting some interaction without the intense prep or skillset required to run an RPG adventure.It also allows fans to play with staff without a 4-5 hour game commitment, folks can drop in to play for an hour or two and then head out if they need to catch their flight or head out.
All of the Cascade rooms will also be open for anyone who wants to run games in those.

Since this is a change from past years I am curious to hear from attendees, both fans and staff, after the show for how they feel that it went.


Do we have to buy a pass for the entire event (the 4 day pass) in order to participate in the lottery system?

Paizo Employee Customer Service & Community Manager

kpulv wrote:
Do we have to buy a pass for the entire event (the 4 day pass) in order to participate in the lottery system?

Yes.


Thanks. Will there opportunities to play the Second Edition Playtest beyond the lottery system?

Grand Lodge

Thanks, Sara Marie - I know this is a huge task, but I'm so excited by all the amazing events! Now, if you can just arrange a way for me to be in several places at once, I'd appreciate it. :)

Paizo Employee Customer Service & Community Manager

kpulv wrote:
Thanks. Will there opportunities to play the Second Edition Playtest beyond the lottery system?

We'll be running two delve tables of Playtest each day. Saturday and Monday morning all 4 designers will be at the delve table. I believe the playtest delve is expected to be 40minutes to an hour.

Contributor

Arc Riley wrote:

The Starfinder special (SFS #1-99) won't launch until Origins three weeks after PaizoCon, unfortunately.

We haven't heard any news of it running anywhere on the west coast, either. I hope we can pull together a game day to run it in August in Portland but that's pending a lot of work and Paizo's approval.

If you’re willing to travel to the SF Bay Area, I’m sure that it will run at a con here.


Starfinder Superscriber

SF is no problem, but is there a specific convention where running this is being planned?

Remember if its not part of Paizo's calendar, we may only have a month after Gencon to run it before the outcome takes effect.

Contributor

We do have a con within a month of GenCon (PacifiCon, Labor Day weekend), though I don’t do scheduling for cons and can’t confirm if it will be there. I can ask some of the folks who work on that, though!

Grand Lodge

For lottery events, if there are more than 4 that I am interested in, is it OK to double-up on rankings? For example, for Saturday if I have one 4, two 3s, two 2s, and a 1, is that OK? Or will that just confuse the system?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Grim Ranger, yes, that's more than okay to do. The system works best when you do!

You have a chance of being placed into any game you mark off with anything other than a 0. If you can be placed into more than one event, your rankings determine which one you will be placed into.

Anything you are equally excited for should be ranked the same, anything that is a higher or lower preference should be likewise ranked as such. The system will take care of you to the best of its ability if you let it :)

Grand Lodge

Jessica Redekop wrote:

Grim Ranger, yes, that's more than okay to do. The system works best when you do!

You have a chance of being placed into any game you mark off with anything other than a 0. If you can be placed into more than one event, your rankings determine which one you will be placed into.

Anything you are equally excited for should be ranked the same, anything that is a higher or lower preference should be likewise ranked as such. The system will take care of you to the best of its ability if you let it :)

Fantastic, thanks! There's so much good stuff this year, we had trouble narrowing it down.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

Are you thinking of SFS #1-00?

Dark Archive

I just copied another guys post.. I'm looking that the special seems to be the Solstice Scar.

Dark Archive

Version C.. I wonder if that counts as a different module?

Contributor

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Grim Ranger wrote:
Jessica Redekop wrote:

Grim Ranger, yes, that's more than okay to do. The system works best when you do!

You have a chance of being placed into any game you mark off with anything other than a 0. If you can be placed into more than one event, your rankings determine which one you will be placed into.

Anything you are equally excited for should be ranked the same, anything that is a higher or lower preference should be likewise ranked as such. The system will take care of you to the best of its ability if you let it :)

Fantastic, thanks! There's so much good stuff this year, we had trouble narrowing it down.

And if you don’t mind a little unsolicited advice, don’t even narrow it down. Rank every event that you’re at all interested in! It’s important to use the rankings thoughtfully so you get your first choices first, but ranking a lot of events, even at a 1, increases your odds of getting a game at all.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Kate Baker wrote:
Grim Ranger wrote:
Jessica Redekop wrote:

Grim Ranger, yes, that's more than okay to do. The system works best when you do!

You have a chance of being placed into any game you mark off with anything other than a 0. If you can be placed into more than one event, your rankings determine which one you will be placed into.

Anything you are equally excited for should be ranked the same, anything that is a higher or lower preference should be likewise ranked as such. The system will take care of you to the best of its ability if you let it :)

Fantastic, thanks! There's so much good stuff this year, we had trouble narrowing it down.
And if you don’t mind a little unsolicited advice, don’t even narrow it down. Rank every event that you’re at all interested in! It’s important to use the rankings thoughtfully so you get your first choices first, but ranking a lot of events, even at a 1, increases your odds of getting a game at all.

Thank you. My son and I sat down with it last night and ranked everything that sounded good to us. There are also a lot of sessions not in the lottery that look fantastic, so even if we end up not getting anything in the lottery, we'll still be happy. But I'm hoping we at least get one! :-)


Mr.Nightray wrote:

Version C.. I wonder if that counts as a different module?

Each version of Solstice Scar is a unique scenario with its own Chronicle. If you’ve played Versions A and/or B, you can still play Version C.

Paizo Employee Organized Play Manager

The only special at PaizoCon is the debut of PFS #8-99C: The Solstice Scar, Version C.

I believe Midsummer Conquest in CA is running 1-99.

Dark Archive

Tonya Woldridge wrote:

The only special at PaizoCon is the debut of PFS #8-99C: The Solstice Scar, Version C.

I believe Midsummer Conquest in CA is running 1-99.

You mam are my hero.. Thank you for the clarification...

Scarab Sages

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Maps, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber
Grim Ranger wrote:
For lottery events, if there are more than 4 that I am interested in, is it OK to double-up on rankings? For example, for Saturday if I have one 4, two 3s, two 2s, and a 1, is that OK? Or will that just confuse the system?

Your rankings simply tell Paizo what you'd like to play. Choose as many as you like, but what has worked for me is to have a single 4, one 3, one to three 2s, and 1s for the remaining games that I'd be willing to play.

Just remember that any time you have a rank with more than one thing, if multiple slots are available Paizo will have to assign one at random. I recommend using the higher ranks judiciously. It doesn't hurt your chances of getting a game (they'll just move on to your 3s if your 4 isn't available) and it more clearly communicates your preferences.

Grand Lodge

Am I the only one who finds it humorous that the only event rated for ages 18+ is one about the Muppets?

Dark Archive

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber
Grim Ranger wrote:
Am I the only one who finds it humorous that the only event rated for ages 18+ is one about the Muppets?

There is a reason for that. Trust me.

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Silbeg wrote:
Grim Ranger wrote:
Am I the only one who finds it humorous that the only event rated for ages 18+ is one about the Muppets?
There is a reason for that. Trust me.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber
Leg o' Lamb wrote:
Silbeg wrote:
Grim Ranger wrote:
Am I the only one who finds it humorous that the only event rated for ages 18+ is one about the Muppets?
There is a reason for that. Trust me.
I have no idea what you are talking about.

Of course you don’t.


When will Volunteer schedules be live? Or should they be already?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Ooo... It would be fantastic to have a filter for things Ranked or Not ranked in the lottery (lottery only of course).

Grand Lodge

If I don't see anything in my schedule at this point, does that mean I didn't get into any lottery events? Or will this not show up until open event signup opens? I can't remember how it worked last year.

Contributor

1 person marked this as a favorite.

You’ll find out what lottery events you got when registration opens.

Grand Lodge

Kate Baker wrote:
You’ll find out what lottery events you got when registration opens.

Thanks!


Majuba wrote:
When will Volunteer schedules be live? Or should they be already?

Still have this question, but I suppose I'll find out in 15 minutes.


Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I'm not seeing a listing for my GM slot of Solstice Scar C, but I did get an email confirmation of it.

That aside, I did see the two Quest-scenarios on Monday and Friday.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Wei Ji the Learner wrote:


I'm not seeing a listing for my GM slot of Solstice Scar C, but I did get an email confirmation of it.

That aside, I did see the two Quest-scenarios on Monday and Friday.

None of my GM slots are showing. If I affirmed too late, it would have been nice to know. Also my 3rd party slot isn't showing. (Fri Afternoon Prison Break!)

Edit: *HUGE* Kudos to the website Team for no delays, no lag, no crashing. I think that's the first time since 2009.
{hopefully not jinxing anything}

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

I got Cosmo. TWICE! (Will be trading the Friday session due to conflicts.)

Grand Lodge

Yes... no hiccups in the system! Great work tech team!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Starfinder Society Subscriber

Is it usual to only get 1 of the events from the lotto? This is my first year and wondering if I did something wrong or missed an instruction.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

None of my volunteer slots are listed. Any idea when those will get added to the online schedule?

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber
Theonious wrote:
Is it usual to only get 1 of the events from the lotto? This is my first year and wondering if I did something wrong or missed an instruction.

No, it is not uncommon. Totally depends on what you were going for, and your luck.

Previous years, I've only ever gotten one thing. I got really lucky this year (probably because so many people were going for playtest)


1 Lottery event is pretty typical. 1 of your top choices would be a particularly good year. I got one myself, excluding a larger event that still has spaces open.

It is of course random, so some people will have three+ prime events.

Maximize your events by ranking at least "1" on anything you would enjoy attending.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Silbeg wrote:
Theonious wrote:
Is it usual to only get 1 of the events from the lotto? This is my first year and wondering if I did something wrong or missed an instruction.

No, it is not uncommon. Totally depends on what you were going for, and your luck.

Previous years, I've only ever gotten one thing. I got really lucky this year (probably because so many people were going for playtest)

I've signed up for lottery events for the past several years and this years my first one.

Paizo Employee Customer Service & Community Manager

I had thought the schedules for Org Play was sent out via email to those who had been scheduled, though now I am unsure. Hoping to confirm with Tonya today. We did add a bunch of people to there games, but the process still automatically sends an email that contains confusing language & instruction so we had to stop.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

Hopefully the 10000 Lakes GM slot will not bump me out of my lottery event before I can trade it.

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Theonious wrote:
Is it usual to only get 1 of the events from the lotto? This is my first year and wondering if I did something wrong or missed an instruction.

Unusual? I have "won" exactly one lotto event in six years.


This is my first PaizoCon and I'm really excited. I have a question, though: For Solstice Scar, how do you sign up for specific sub-tiers?

1 to 50 of 90 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / PaizoCon / General Discussion / Paizo Blog: PaizoCon 2018 Events Schedule is Live! All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.