Fuzzy Feet and Voles to Meet

Friday, April 13, 2018

Overlooked and disrespected, halflings and gnomes get by in their own way. Human society's misguided expectations don't mean much when you know who you are and what you're about. Let's take a look at the ancestry entries for these folks!

You might also want to take a gander at the Big Beards and Pointy Ears blog to see how dwarves and elves work if you're a fan of ancestries that are entirely too tall and entirely too stuffy.

Illustration by Wayne Reynolds

Halflings

Living among taller folk gives halflings a good bit of perspective and plenty of opportunities to make new friends—plenty of opportunities of all kinds, really. Keep your eyes open and your heart brave, and you can accomplish anything!

Both halflings and gnomes get 8 Hit Points from their respective ancestries, are Small, and have a speed of 20 feet. A halfling speaks Common and Halfling. Halflings have nimble fingers, giving them an ability boost to Dexterity, and are jovial, getting another ability boost in Charisma. They also get one free ability boost to put in any score. Now, there's nothing wrong with how you're made, but halflings do get an ability flaw to Strength. Seems like a better deal, though. Goblins are a bit stronger, but they're not so wise, and good sense is a good trade. (You can read more about goblins here!)

We've mentioned ability boosts and flaws a few times now, so let's go into more detail about how those work! At 1st level, your ability scores all start at 10. Your ancestry then gives you ability boosts, each of which increases the score by 2. Most ancestries get three ability boosts, two of which have to go into specific scores. The remaining free ability boost can go into any score except the two set ones. Most ancestries also get a flaw, which decreases a designated score by 2. You can put your free ability boost in the same score as your flaw if you want to get back to 10. In later parts of character creation, you'll get more ability boosts, which we'll cover in later blogs! (And if you want to roll your ability scores randomly, we have an option for that in the playtest so you can see how that might work, though we prefer for characters used in the playtest to be generated in the standard way.)

Now, where was I? Halflings, right!

At 1st level and as they level up, halflings can pick up halfling ancestry feats that take advantage of their size, their gumption, and their fabled luck. Distracting Shadows lets them sneak around by using larger creatures as cover. They might also pick up Plucky to overcome fear and other detriments to their emotions. They can take Titan Slinger to get a bonus to damage when using their slings against Large or larger creatures. This bonus increases on critical hits, even before being doubled! Additionally, the sling is now a more formidable weapon than in Pathfinder First Edition—we've both increased its damage and done away with the difference in damage die size between Small and Medium creatures. A halfling with a sling can be pretty dangerous!

One feat we know will be popular is Lucky Halfling, which lets you reroll one skill check or saving throw you fail or critically fail once each day. Rules in the Pathfinder Playtest Rulebook list traits that apply to feats, often indicating special rules. This one has the fortune trait, which appears on all sorts of things that involve rerolls and manipulating dice in your favor. You can benefit from fortune only once on a given roll, and misfortune can cancel it out.

As mentioned in the blog post about dwarves and elves, ancestry entries suggest some backgrounds you might choose that are common for those of your ancestry. Halflings are often entertainers, acrobats, or street urchins. Many come from hard lives as criminals or laborers.

Illustration by Wayne Reynolds

Gnomes

What's THAT?!

A gnome's life is a constant barrage of the curious, the compelling, the cacophonous, the colorful, and the chaotic. There's always something new to discover. There... kind of has to be. See, gnomes who don't take in enough novel experiences are stricken by the Bleaching—their colorful hair turns white as their minds fall into despair. So let's not do that. Let's explore!

Now, when you're exploring, it's good to be durable because who knows what you might encounter. It helps that gnomes are tough and charming, with ability boosts to Constitution and Charisma, plus their one free ability boost to any other score. Gnomes have a flaw in Strength. Who needs it? Magic's better. And alchemical bombs. Those look fun. Gnomes can speak Common, Gnome, and Sylvan, but might want to study up on some other languages too. They can also see in low light—all the better for exploring into the dusk.

Gnomes came from the First World, the realm of the fey, long ago. Their ancestry feats can reflect this, like Fey Fellowship, which makes a gnome more charismatic when dealing with fey, or First World Magic, which gives the gnome a cantrip spell chosen from a wide number of options (including dancing lights, prestidigitation, and tanglefoot, to name a few).

Discerning Smell lets a gnome truly appreciate peculiar food and drink, or sniff out that invisible orc who's caked in the clay from a particular mountain pass, hasn't bathed in roughly 8 years, and recently ate a live bird. (A swallow, fittingly.) And, of course, you can choose Animal Speaker so you can talk to all your favorite burrowing animals!

A gnome's younger years will no doubt be weird, so they could have any kind of background—even a path they abandoned early on. A gnome might be an entertainer, a merchant, a nomad, an animal whisperer, a barkeep, or a farmhand.

How do these two ancestries stack up? (About 6 feet high, I'd say.) What sort of halfling or gnome characters do you look forward to playing?

Logan Bonner
Designer

More Paizo Blog.
Tags: Pathfinder Playtest Wayne Reynolds
601 to 616 of 616 << first < prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | next > last >>

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Comics Subscriber; Pathfinder Legends Subscriber; Pathfinder Tales Subscriber

600 posts...

Blog wrote:
ancestry entries suggest some backgrounds you might choose that are common for those of your ancestry. Halflings are often entertainers, acrobats, or street urchins. Many come from hard lives as criminals or laborers.

...

Entertain me or you're a poor criminal?

Just a bit surprising, since most of the famous halflings are aristocrats, or farmers.

Liberty's Edge

Majuba wrote:
Blog wrote:
ancestry entries suggest some backgrounds you might choose that are common for those of your ancestry. Halflings are often entertainers, acrobats, or street urchins. Many come from hard lives as criminals or laborers.

...

Entertain me or you're a poor criminal?

Just a bit surprising, since most of the famous halflings are aristocrats, or farmers.

Not in Golarion. Halflings are very much an underprivileged minority in much of the Inner Sea region, most notably Cheliax where they are universally slaves and there's an underground railroad to get them away from there in the Bellflower Network.


Do more Halflings on Golarion work as entertainers or like, farmers and kitchen staff?

If it's the latter I would think Wisdom would be more appropriate (since "Profession" has been a wis-based skill).

Liberty's Edge

PossibleCabbage wrote:

Do more Halflings on Golarion work as entertainers or like, farmers and kitchen staff?

If it's the latter I would think Wisdom would be more appropriate (since "Profession" has been a wis-based skill).

From what we've seen it's something of a mix, but yeah I'd say more are farmers and kitchen staff, just playing a numbers game.


Pathfinder Companion, Modules, Roleplaying Game Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
UnArcaneElection wrote:
Just one Ancestry feat at 1st level (or two if you can take one with a regular feat) seems awfully skimpy, and four levels is an awfully long time to wait for the next one.

Something I am wondering about is the relationship between Ancestry feats and Heritage feats. From the original description of them, I got the impression that Heritage feats were a subcategory of Ancestry feats. But what if that is wrong? If characters got even one Ancestry feat and one Heritage feat at 1st level, there is a lot less that they would be missing out on at that level.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Put me as +1 that having three small races with a plus in Charisma is silly. Voting for wisdom for halflings, the other two can stay (while I have the gnomes with Int bonus, Cha is a better fit for Golarion ones).


2 people marked this as a favorite.
necromental wrote:
Put me as +1 that having three small races with a plus in Charisma is silly. Voting for wisdom for halflings, the other two can stay (while I have the gnomes with Int bonus, Cha is a better fit for Golarion ones).

Essentially exactly how I feel. I really hope the devs consider giving halflings a Wisdom bonus for the playtest. It seems like the perfect opportunity to try it out, to see how well it goes over.

Paizo Employee Customer Service Representative

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Removed some Posts and Replies to those posts.

While I appreciate the well executed discussion happening here, please remember that as these threads get quite long to keep them on topic. Tangents into entirely different topics surrounding the Playtest, other races, and classes are detrimental to the discussion of the content in the blog post. Threads are a tool to have focused discussion relating to a particular topic, so please make use of the option to create a new thread when you stumble upon a topic that is unrelated to the original purpose of the thread, but deserves conversation. This limits clutter within the thread, and allows for elaboration on other topics in the correct spaces.

Finally, it is not acceptable to make your points using aggressive, insulting, or baiting language. In relation, you can and should always choose not to respond to aggressive, insulting, or baiting posts. It is a loss to have to remove well constructed points because they are combined or associated with argumentative language.


PossibleCabbage wrote:

Do more Halflings on Golarion work as entertainers or like, farmers and kitchen staff?

If it's the latter I would think Wisdom would be more appropriate (since "Profession" has been a wis-based skill).

Do you mean NPC halflings, or PC halfings?

Most Halflings in Golarion probably are farmers, or kitchen staff, or slaves. Most PCs probably will not.

Liberty's Edge

gustavo iglesias wrote:

Do you mean NPC halflings, or PC halfings?

Most Halflings in Golarion probably are farmers, or kitchen staff, or slaves. Most PCs probably will not.

Most PCs aren't primarily entertainers either. The question was about which role is more common among NPC Halflings as a barometer for what stats it would make sense for them to get.


My point was more about dissociating Hero Halflings (or any other race, for that matter) from the standard example of their race. Just like Hero Goblins do not eat babies, and probably can learn to read, Hero Halflings might be more charismatic (or less) than the average halfling.

Liberty's Edge

gustavo iglesias wrote:
My point was more about dissociating Hero Halflings (or any other race, for that matter) from the standard example of their race. Just like Hero Goblins do not eat babies, and probably can learn to read, Hero Halflings might be more charismatic (or less) than the average halfling.

That's actually quite inconsistent with all other Ancestry/Race portrayals. NPC Elves are absolutely portrayed with Dex and Int bonuses, Dwarves with Con and Wis and so on. PCs may differ culturally or in temperament, but their capabilities are mostly pretty consistent with how NPCs of the same sort are portrayed.

Halflings should thus get stat mods consistent with how NPC Halflings are portrayed.


Deadmanwalking wrote:
gustavo iglesias wrote:
My point was more about dissociating Hero Halflings (or any other race, for that matter) from the standard example of their race. Just like Hero Goblins do not eat babies, and probably can learn to read, Hero Halflings might be more charismatic (or less) than the average halfling.

That's actually quite inconsistent with all other Ancestry/Race portrayals. NPC Elves are absolutely portrayed with Dex and Int bonuses, Dwarves with Con and Wis and so on. PCs may differ culturally or in temperament, but their capabilities are mostly pretty consistent with how NPCs of the same sort are portrayed.

Halflings should thus get stat mods consistent with how NPC Halflings are portrayed.

I'm not sure that's true anymore in PF2. In PF1 yes, PC dwarves had stonecunning because average dwarves had stonecunning. In PF2, those abilities are ancestry feats, so some PC might pick them, and some other might pick something different.

Maybe it's the same for the starting bonuses to abilities. For example, I might see how "Halfling luck" is something that work for heroic halflings, and not every single halfing in the world goes around winning lottery every other day. Specially in a world filled with halfing slaves, maybe the average halfling isn't as lucky as the average halfling adventurer.


3 people marked this as a favorite.

For what it's worth, I would prefer the ability scores to be indicative of the ancestry as a whole, and not just "hero" PCs.

Paizo Employee Customer Service & Community Manager

Thanks for all the lively discussion so far in this thread. At this time we've decided to close up the blog discussion thread. If you have comments, questions or other things you want to post that do not fit into any currently open threads, you are welcome to start a new thread. Thanks!

601 to 616 of 616 << first < prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Paizo / Archive / Pathfinder / Playtests & Prerelease Discussions / Pathfinder Playtest / Paizo Blog: Fuzzy Feet and Voles to Meet All Messageboards