Class Preview: The Solarian

Friday, July 14, 2017

Illustration by Mikael Leger

Of all the Starfinder classes, the solarian is the one hardest to explain in 10 words or less. It is a new class, and a new concept, unique to Starfinder though clearly inspired by various iconic science-fantasy tropes. It can be described as a kind of supernatural philosopher-warrior, with a focus on the stellar powers of light and gravity, but that doesn't give a very good idea of what the class can actually do. For starters, let's take a look at what the Starfinder Core Rulebook has to say about the solarian.

The stars guide the planets with gravity, create life with light and heat, and utterly consume worlds in supernovas and black holes. You understand that these acts of creation and destruction are not opposites, but rather two parts of a natural, dualistic cycle. You seek to be an agent of that cycle, an enlightened warrior with the ability to manipulate the forces of the stars themselves. Constantly accompanied by a mote of fundamental energy or entropy, you can shape this essence in combat to create weapons and armor of gleaming stellar light or pure, devouring darkness. Whether you apprenticed in a temple or came to your powers through personal revelation, you recognize yourself as part of an ancient tradition—a force of preservation and annihilation.

The cycle that empowers and guides solarians is a philosophy that came to the Pact Worlds on the Idari, along with the tradition of the solarians themselves. Even now, nearly a century after the kasatha worldship's arrival in system, solarians are more commonly kasatha than any other race (though certainly there are other solarian traditions, as they can even be found in systems with no contact with Kasath).

The solarian has a full base attack bonus, good Fortitude and Will saves bonuses, 4 skill points per level, and 10 fixed class skills. At 1st level, a solarian gains the skill adept ability, which represents training gained in the process that led to a character becoming a solarian and which grants two more class skills of the player's choice. A solarian has proficiency with light armor, and proficiency and eventually specialization with small arms and basic and advanced melee weapons.

Also at 1st level, a solarian gains a solar manifestation, and access to stellar modes. The solar manifestation is a physical representation of the solarian's stellar powers. When not in use, it is a mote of energy slightly smaller than a fist that glows with light (or is the black of perfect darkness) and hovers near the solarian's head. When activated, the mote becomes either a solar weapon (which is treated as an advanced melee weapon, deals damage that increases as the solarian gains levels, and can be further augmented through the addition of solarian weapon crystals), or solar armor (which enwraps and protects the solarian, augmenting the AC bonus of any light armor the solarian wears and at higher levels giving cold or fire resistance).

Stellar modes are forms of attunement the solarian can focus on in combat. Each round in a fight, the solarian can remain unattuned, or increase either photon attunement or graviton attunement, depending on whether the solarian wishes to draw on the stellar powers of light and heat and life-giving energy, or darkness and gravity and all things being bound together. Every solarian has access to both photon and graviton powers (and gains more via stellar revelations as he gains levels), and can use either even regardless of attunement—though many powers gain additional effects if the solarian is attuned to their power source. For example, a solarian with the 6th-level corona photon power gains cold resistance, and deals fire damage to any adjacent foe that strikes the solarian with a melee weapon. However, if the solarian is photon attuned, the corona also causes any creature that begins its turn adjacent to the solarian to automatically take some fire damage. While some stellar revelations can only target creatures once a day, or only under specific situations, in general there's no limit to how often a solarian can use the powers tied to their stellar modes.

After 3 rounds of attunement to exclusively photon or graviton powers, a solarian can reach full attunement, which grants access to zenith powers. Each solarian begins play with two zenith powers: black hole, which draws a foe closer to you, and supernova, which does fire damage to everyone within 10 feet of you. Using a zenith power causes you to be unattuned afterwards, so zenith powers can be used at most once every few rounds. However, in general there's no other limitation to how often a solarian can use these powers in combat—if a fight lasts long enough to keep cycling through zenith powers, the solarian is free to do so.

While the choice of solar armor or solar weapon and selection of different stellar revelations are the primary customization options for a solarian, they have a few other minor abilities at well. At 3rd level a solarian gains sidereal influence, which allows the solarian to meditate to gain bonuses to photon- and graviton-related skills. At 7th level, a solarian gains flashing strikes, which allows them to make a full attack entirely with melee weapons at a reduced attack penalty, and at 13th level a solarian's onslaught allows their full attack to be three attacks rather than the normal two (though all three attacks are at a slightly higher penalty). At 20th level, a solarian gains full attunement in a stellar mode more quickly, can switch from one full attunement to another, and even spend 1 Resolve to immediately become fully attuned.

Given the importance of stellar modes and stellar revelations, here are two sample revelations.

Blazing Orbit (Su) [6th level photon revelation] As a move action, you can move up to your speed, gaining concealment against any attack made against you during the move, and you can leave a trail of flames in every square you pass through. The flames last for 1 round and deal 2d6 fire damage to anyone who moves into them. You can't move through another creature's space during this movement. If you use blazing orbit again, any flames you previously created with it go out. The damage from the flames increases by 1d6 at 8th level and every 2 levels thereafter.

When you are attuned or fully attuned, any creature damaged by the flames also gains the burning condition (1d6 fire damage; see page 273).

Crush (Su) [6th level graviton revelation] As a standard action, you can increase the effects of gravity on the internal organs or workings of a target within 30 feet, causing it to have difficulty maintaining its normal functionality. The target must succeed at a Fortitude save or become staggered for 1 round. This revelation also affects constructs. You can maintain this effect as a move action each round, but the target can attempt a new saving throw each round to end the effect. Once a creature succeeds at this save or the effect ends, you can't target that creature with crush again for 24 hours.

When you are attuned or fully attuned, you can spend 1 Resolve Point to also stun the target for 1 round. Maintaining crush on subsequent rounds extends the staggered effect, but not the stunned effect.

Owen KC Stephens
Developer

More Paizo Blog.
Tags: Mikael Leger Solarians Starfinder
251 to 300 of 300 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Rysky wrote:
Well seeing as how I still intend to play Pathfinder as well I kinda can't :3

I still try to remember as much of their meanings for Pathfinder as I can, but I know that chalkboard is full of smudges from 3.5 and stuff covered in 5 layers of FAQS and erratas.

I just want to keep this new one clean until I get the Rulebook. Hopefully the book will stay cleaner than the mental chalkboard. :)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Master Pugwampi wrote:

Have you encountered secrets that man was not meant to know? Remember information that just knowing about it could get you killed? Need a quick memory wipe?

Then look no further than Master Pugwampi's Miracle Memory Mutilator! No longer will you be plagued by some extra-planar miscreant's need to have all those who have discovered her nefarious plots eliminated! Just place this comfortable and stylish electrically supercharged metal and wire headband on, flip the switch, and you will literally feel all those bothersome facts fly right out of your head!*

*Please note that all the other material flying out of your head alongside the aforementioned memories is a perfectly normal part of the procedure. Bring a mop.

But wait! There's more!

Act now and we'll send along the Thought Training Torc absolutely FREE!!! This stunning chromium steel necklace will apply a sharp electrical "reminder" straight into the brain stem each time a pre-programmed "negative" thought is detected!** Fun for the whole family! Order now!

**What constitutes a "negative" thought is entirely up to you. Master Pugwampi and all active members of the Pugwampi Union wash their hands of all consequences of actually using said device. You're on your own, chumps.

{sips jynnan tonyx} Wouldn't you accomplish the same thing with a Trenta®-sized Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster?


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Master Pugwampi wrote:

Have you encountered secrets that man was not meant to know? Remember information that just knowing about it could get you killed? Need a quick memory wipe?

Then look no further than Master Pugwampi's Miracle Memory Mutilator! No longer will you be plagued by some extra-planar miscreant's need to have all those who have discovered her nefarious plots eliminated! Just place this comfortable and stylish electrically supercharged metal and wire headband on, flip the switch, and you will literally feel all those bothersome facts fly right out of your head!*

*Please note that all the other material flying out of your head alongside the aforementioned memories is a perfectly normal part of the procedure. Bring a mop.

But wait! There's more!

Act now and we'll send along the Thought Training Torc absolutely FREE!!! This stunning chromium steel necklace will apply a sharp electrical "reminder" straight into the brain stem each time a pre-programmed "negative" thought is detected!** Fun for the whole family! Order now!

**What constitutes a "negative" thought is entirely up to you. Master Pugwampi and all active members of the Pugwampi Union wash their hands of all consequences of actually using said device. You're on your own, chumps.

Hmmm. The GAP was everyone losing their memory...


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Gilfalas wrote:
Master Pugwampi wrote:

Have you encountered secrets that man was not meant to know? Remember information that just knowing about it could get you killed? Need a quick memory wipe?

Then look no further than Master Pugwampi's Miracle Memory Mutilator!...

Hmmm. The GAP was everyone losing their memory...

>_>

<_<

When you think of The GAP, remember the pugwampi are the "P".

Silver Crusade

If weapon damage scales with character level then perhaps bane weapons could treat your level as twice as high (or some other pseudo level modification). That would preserve the damage portion in some form.

It could also treat the eac / kac as x less than what it is. Which would preserve the hit bonus in some form.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

"Of all the Starfinder classes, the solarian is the one hardest to explain in 10 words or less."

It's the Starfinder version of Pathfinder's Kineticist.

What do I win :P ?


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Sir RicHunt Attenwampi wrote:


When you think of The GAP, remember the pugwampi are the "P".

Gap:

Goblins
And
Pugwampi.


Pathfinder Companion, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
JiCi wrote:

"Of all the Starfinder classes, the solarian is the one hardest to explain in 10 words or less."

It's the Starfinder version of Pathfinder's Kineticist.

What do I win :P ?

I feel like, thematically, it's more of a space druid-monk, really.


JiCi wrote:

"Of all the Starfinder classes, the solarian is the one hardest to explain in 10 words or less."

It's the Starfinder version of Pathfinder's Kineticist.

What do I win :P ?

Well, Kineticists, Monks, Soulknives, etc, all with some fluff of their very own.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Ten words or less they say.

What happens when Natalie Portman and Darth Vader have babies.

I'll take my winnings in Paizobucks, thank you.


Cosmic warrior granted powers from understanding balances of the universe. 10. Not too shabby, though could use more elaboration.

Scarab Sages Developer, Starfinder Team

3 people marked this as a favorite.
JiCi wrote:

"Of all the Starfinder classes, the solarian is the one hardest to explain in 10 words or less."

It's the Starfinder version of Pathfinder's Kineticist.

What do I win :P ?

Except it really isn't.


Owen K. C. Stephens wrote:
JiCi wrote:

"Of all the Starfinder classes, the solarian is the one hardest to explain in 10 words or less."

It's the Starfinder version of Pathfinder's Kineticist.

What do I win :P ?

Except it really isn't.

Well, they seem really really similar. It's like a kineticist without burn and with 2 elements. And a focus mechanic that would be right at home in an archetype. In fact, I'll probably backport the Solarian as a Kineticist archetype in my home games.


Their like Ying and yang if it was in space.

That's 10 ^


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Hmm... Maybe Solarions are like Newtypes.

Not that anybody, not even those in Gundam know what a Newtype is, and nobody knows what a Solarion really is. But they know their abilities and philosophies.

... And both have some connection to the expanse of space, and often there's a lot of talk in Gundam about how people's souls are pulled by gravity, while others are compelled to live beyond it, and their consciousness expands into the vastness of space.

The abilities are the odd fit, it doesn't work as well.

So yeah... I'm gonna go with "Solarions are Newtypes with Jedi powers".

6 words, close enough.


7 people marked this as a favorite.

"Jedi and Soulknife had a baby with aesthetics of Destiny".

There ya go :3


Binary Ms.Marvel,Psylock and a Jedi fused.

Six words.
The only trait that the Solarians are lacking is a good and evil aspect to the two sides of their powers.


They've stated they aren't giving Good/Evil assignments to the Supernova/Black Hole suite of powers I believe, and to most if not all class mechanics.

But watch Owen come in and say something different.

Edited to be a little less caustic.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Card Game, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Okay. Here's my take on the 10 word challenge. I made it a poem.

Space Magical Monk,
Powers: Light and Gravity,
Outlook: The Cycle

Scarab Sages

The seem more like spell-less oracles than kineticists to me, but they get two mysteries that they can switch between from round to round.


The stars have judged you, and found you wanting.

Never thought I would find use for a WoW boss quote in a sci-fantasy game, but there you go.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
First World Bard wrote:

Okay. Here's my take on the 10 word challenge. I made it a poem.

Space Magical Monk,
Powers: Light and Gravity,
Outlook: The Cycle

Bike or trike? Or unicycle? Or just straight up hamster wheel?

Anyway, they seem pretty straightforward: Cosmo-knight Jedi.


First World Bard wrote:

Okay. Here's my take on the 10 word challenge. I made it a poem.

Space Magical Monk,
Powers: Light and Gravity,
Outlook: The Cycle

I think it is a haiku

5 7 5 right?

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Vidmaster7 wrote:
First World Bard wrote:

Okay. Here's my take on the 10 word challenge. I made it a poem.

Space Magical Monk,
Powers: Light and Gravity,
Outlook: The Cycle

I think it is a haiku

5 7 5 right?

Yep.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Mawgrim wrote:

The stars have judged you, and found you wanting.

Never thought I would find use for a WoW boss quote in a sci-fantasy game, but there you go.

Well, now that we're quoting bosses,

"I am the shadow, the keeper of the light. If you want more power, show me that which you already posses."

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Creation
Destruction
Pick your poison

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Darkness and Light are deep forces
Two unalterable symbols of the Cycle
Permanence at rest
And permanence in motion
Participants in the power of the stars

With all due respect to Stephen R. Donaldson :-)


The Raven Black wrote:

Creation

Destruction
Pick your poison

But which is which? It seems an awful lot like Light is focused on Destruction, where-as in physics Gravity (The aspect of Darkness) is a major part of Creation. A nice counter to the usual tropes.


Shinigami02 wrote:
The Raven Black wrote:

Creation

Destruction
Pick your poison
But which is which? It seems an awful lot like Light is focused on Destruction, where-as in physics Gravity (The aspect of Darkness) is a major part of Creation. A nice counter to the usual tropes.

Well that's up to you, isn't it?


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Card Game, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Apologies for bringing a week old discussion back to the forefront of this thread, but I just realized that the Paizo blog told us exactly what Holy does, and I guess many of us just missed it.

Bringing Out the Big Guns in Starfinder wrote:
while the holy fusion allows a weapon to bypass DR/good and ignore all energy resistance of evil dragons, evil outsiders, and evil undead.

So there you have it, I guess.


First World Bard wrote:

Apologies for bringing a week old discussion back to the forefront of this thread, but I just realized that the Paizo blog told us exactly what Holy does, and I guess many of us just missed it.

Bringing Out the Big Guns in Starfinder wrote:
while the holy fusion allows a weapon to bypass DR/good and ignore all energy resistance of evil dragons, evil outsiders, and evil undead.
So there you have it, I guess.

Hmm, so you are just collecting power coins for your weapons that let you bypass their resistances? i wonder what kind of action it is to attache a fusion. It could end up being a movement action tax to just slot in the fusion for type X and then moving on with it.

Scarab Sages

Do creatures still have immunity to energy types? It sucks playing a fire kineticist fighting devils for example. The holy fusion on a laser cannon isn't going to help at all when fighting devils if they still have immunity.


Imbicatus wrote:
Do creatures still have immunity to energy types? It sucks playing a fire kineticist fighting devils for example. The holy fusion on a laser cannon isn't going to help at all when fighting devils if they still have immunity.

They've mentioned that the Holy fusion is nothing like the Pathfinder enchantment, so it's entirely possible that it turns off their immunity and/or DR, this time around.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Card Game, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Remy P Gilbeau wrote:
They've mentioned that the Holy fusion is nothing like the Pathfinder enchantment, so it's entirely possible that it turns off their immunity and/or DR, this time around.

I posted the text of the Holy fusion four posts up (it was in the blog). Imbicatus's point is the text mentions resistances, not immunities. Since this would be a pretty glaring oversight, my guess is that immunities got bundled into resistances, much like tremorsense got bundled as blindsense(vibrations), as described in the First Contact supplement.


First World Bard wrote:
Remy P Gilbeau wrote:
They've mentioned that the Holy fusion is nothing like the Pathfinder enchantment, so it's entirely possible that it turns off their immunity and/or DR, this time around.

I posted the text of the Holy fusion four posts up (it was in the blog). Imbicatus's point is the text mentions resistances, not immunities. Since this would be a pretty glaring oversight, my guess is that immunities got bundled into resistances, much like tremorsense got bundled as blindsense(vibrations), as described in the First Contact supplement.

So instead of immunity it might just be Fire Res 20 or 30? Considering the size of single source damage a high level laser should be putting out, even 30 points of resistance might not be enough to ignore a laser.

Silver Crusade

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

They might just have increasing levels of resistance, seeing as how high the damage gets with some guns. A Devil might have, say, FR 100.

Show of hands, who wants a laser hot enough to burn Hell?

Scarab Sages

However, elementals thematically should be immune.


Rysky wrote:

They might just have increasing levels of resistance, seeing as how high the damage gets with some guns. A Devil might have, say, FR 100.

Show of hands, who wants a laser hot enough to burn Hell?

I can remember at least one anime where that happened. The MC cast a fire spell hot enough to burn out an iffrit i think it was. Honestly, i have never felt quite right with lasers being fire damage anyways, i get where it comes from but it just doesn't feel right... sort of fire damage comes from a classical elemental view of the universe where its this special fundamental force called Fire as opposed to just another kind of chemical reaction. Trying to fit these high tech concepts into a classical Greek world view is wonky.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Card Game, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Torbyne wrote:
So instead of immunity it might just be Fire Res 20 or 30? Considering the size of single source damage a high level laser should be putting out, even 30 points of resistance might not be enough to ignore a laser.

No, what I mean is: Instead of "Resistances and Immunities", that section of the statblock is probably just called "Resistances". It'll say something like Fire:Immune, but that's a resistance that a Holy plasma cannon can bypass.

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
First World Bard wrote:
Torbyne wrote:
So instead of immunity it might just be Fire Res 20 or 30? Considering the size of single source damage a high level laser should be putting out, even 30 points of resistance might not be enough to ignore a laser.
No, what I mean is: Instead of "Resistances and Immunities", that section of the statblock is probably just called "Resistances". It'll say something like Fire:Immune, but that's a resistance that a Holy plasma cannon can bypass.

I think you're right on the money. The overriding theme of Starfinder's development has been simplify, simplify, simplify. I think this is a great thing.

So far I really like how vision and the various "X"senses have been simplified.

I really wish they'd pointed the saves in the right direction and made them like they were in Star Wars SAGA edition but I can fix that myself.

SM

EDIT: extra word


Torbyne wrote:
Rysky wrote:

They might just have increasing levels of resistance, seeing as how high the damage gets with some guns. A Devil might have, say, FR 100.

Show of hands, who wants a laser hot enough to burn Hell?

I can remember at least one anime where that happened. The MC cast a fire spell hot enough to burn out an iffrit i think it was. Honestly, i have never felt quite right with lasers being fire damage anyways, i get where it comes from but it just doesn't feel right... sort of fire damage comes from a classical elemental view of the universe where its this special fundamental force called Fire as opposed to just another kind of chemical reaction. Trying to fit these high tech concepts into a classical Greek world view is wonky.

Fire damage also includes having napalm thrown at you or actually being on fire. It's pretty clearly any damage dealt by ignition or extreme heat, and has nothing to do with classical elements. I mean, it's paired up with Cold damage, not Water damage.

If the terminology makes you uneasy, you could think of it as Heat damage. It's the same thing.


Aratrok wrote:
Torbyne wrote:
Rysky wrote:

They might just have increasing levels of resistance, seeing as how high the damage gets with some guns. A Devil might have, say, FR 100.

Show of hands, who wants a laser hot enough to burn Hell?

I can remember at least one anime where that happened. The MC cast a fire spell hot enough to burn out an iffrit i think it was. Honestly, i have never felt quite right with lasers being fire damage anyways, i get where it comes from but it just doesn't feel right... sort of fire damage comes from a classical elemental view of the universe where its this special fundamental force called Fire as opposed to just another kind of chemical reaction. Trying to fit these high tech concepts into a classical Greek world view is wonky.

Fire damage also includes having napalm thrown at you or actually being on fire. It's pretty clearly any damage dealt by ignition or extreme heat, and has nothing to do with classical elements. I mean, it's paired up with Cold damage, not Water damage.

If the terminology makes you uneasy, you could think of it as Heat damage. It's the same thing.

Its more of just energetic damage though, isnt it? The way a fire burns a thing is different from the way a laser can bore away at something. and Pathfinder at least handles Plasma as a solid, electricity and fire in different combinations depending on its source which again feels like bending what it really is to fit a non scientific categorization.

Scarab Sages Developer, Starfinder Team

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Torbyne wrote:
Honestly, i have never felt quite right with lasers being fire damage anyways, i get where it comes from but it just doesn't feel right... sort of fire damage comes from a classical elemental view of the universe where its this special fundamental force called Fire as opposed to just another kind of chemical reaction. Trying to fit these high tech concepts into a classical Greek world view is wonky.

Heck, steam is fire damage in Pathfinder. The 5 energy types are very, very broad categories to keep the game simpler than if strong acids, weak acids, bases, caustic chemicals, and ion stripping dissolution rays were all treated as different kinds of attack.


Owen K. C. Stephens wrote:
Torbyne wrote:
Honestly, i have never felt quite right with lasers being fire damage anyways, i get where it comes from but it just doesn't feel right... sort of fire damage comes from a classical elemental view of the universe where its this special fundamental force called Fire as opposed to just another kind of chemical reaction. Trying to fit these high tech concepts into a classical Greek world view is wonky.
Heck, steam is fire damage in Pathfinder. The 5 energy types are very, very broad categories to keep the game simpler than if strong acids, weak acids, bases, caustic chemicals, and ion stripping dissolution rays were all treated as different kinds of attack.

All very true, but (as far as the internet knows) i am old and fuddy and draw my lines where i want them and fire lasers irk me. Ion dissolution rays being acid make perfect sense. go figure.


Torbyne wrote:
Owen K. C. Stephens wrote:
Torbyne wrote:
Honestly, i have never felt quite right with lasers being fire damage anyways, i get where it comes from but it just doesn't feel right... sort of fire damage comes from a classical elemental view of the universe where its this special fundamental force called Fire as opposed to just another kind of chemical reaction. Trying to fit these high tech concepts into a classical Greek world view is wonky.
Heck, steam is fire damage in Pathfinder. The 5 energy types are very, very broad categories to keep the game simpler than if strong acids, weak acids, bases, caustic chemicals, and ion stripping dissolution rays were all treated as different kinds of attack.
All very true, but (as far as the internet knows) i am old and fuddy and draw my lines where i want them and fire lasers irk me. Ion dissolution rays being acid make perfect sense. go figure.

Speaking of, I'm pretty sure basically every line attack breath weapon of dragons also resemble lasers beams. Seems more appropriate then assuming that the black dragon's acid line is somehow just spraying globs of liquid everywhere (which would be more cone like anyways, but that's besides the point).

Actually, taking it further, why would the form these energies take really matter all that much? A cone shaped acid breath could very well still appear in the same form as traditional fire breath, only difference being that it's probably green breath and it corrodes things it touches rather than combusts them.

Well, its certainly one way to make battling a Black dragon or Green dragon look like a fight with Maleficent from sleeping beauty.


What annoyed me about damage in pathfinder was that Plasma dealt half fire/half electricity. How in the nine hells does plasma electrocute you?


IonutRO wrote:
What annoyed me about damage in pathfinder was that Plasma dealt half fire/half electricity. How in the nine hells does plasma electrocute you?

Ball lightning maybe?

After all, I think the go to explanation for ball lightning is that its basically when the plasma released by lightning sort of condenses into a larger mass, and retains the lightning's electric charge.

In any case, Plasma in itself is technically electrically charged in a sense; given that its so super heated that it begins to be stripped of its electromagnetic cohesion, and begins to ionize.

I'm not a science major though, so if anyone could correct me, that would be great.


Luna Protege wrote:
Torbyne wrote:
Owen K. C. Stephens wrote:
Torbyne wrote:
Honestly, i have never felt quite right with lasers being fire damage anyways, i get where it comes from but it just doesn't feel right... sort of fire damage comes from a classical elemental view of the universe where its this special fundamental force called Fire as opposed to just another kind of chemical reaction. Trying to fit these high tech concepts into a classical Greek world view is wonky.
Heck, steam is fire damage in Pathfinder. The 5 energy types are very, very broad categories to keep the game simpler than if strong acids, weak acids, bases, caustic chemicals, and ion stripping dissolution rays were all treated as different kinds of attack.
All very true, but (as far as the internet knows) i am old and fuddy and draw my lines where i want them and fire lasers irk me. Ion dissolution rays being acid make perfect sense. go figure.

Speaking of, I'm pretty sure basically every line attack breath weapon of dragons also resemble lasers beams. Seems more appropriate then assuming that the black dragon's acid line is somehow just spraying globs of liquid everywhere (which would be more cone like anyways, but that's besides the point).

Actually, taking it further, why would the form these energies take really matter all that much? A cone shaped acid breath could very well still appear in the same form as traditional fire breath, only difference being that it's probably green breath and it corrodes things it touches rather than combusts them.

Well, its certainly one way to make battling a Black dragon or Green dragon look like a fight with Maleficent from sleeping beauty.

You don't see the acid-line dragons as being like spitting cobras, but with acid instead of venom?


Ouachitonian wrote:
Luna Protege wrote:
Torbyne wrote:
Owen K. C. Stephens wrote:
Torbyne wrote:
Honestly, i have never felt quite right with lasers being fire damage anyways, i get where it comes from but it just doesn't feel right... sort of fire damage comes from a classical elemental view of the universe where its this special fundamental force called Fire as opposed to just another kind of chemical reaction. Trying to fit these high tech concepts into a classical Greek world view is wonky.
Heck, steam is fire damage in Pathfinder. The 5 energy types are very, very broad categories to keep the game simpler than if strong acids, weak acids, bases, caustic chemicals, and ion stripping dissolution rays were all treated as different kinds of attack.
All very true, but (as far as the internet knows) i am old and fuddy and draw my lines where i want them and fire lasers irk me. Ion dissolution rays being acid make perfect sense. go figure.

Speaking of, I'm pretty sure basically every line attack breath weapon of dragons also resemble lasers beams. Seems more appropriate then assuming that the black dragon's acid line is somehow just spraying globs of liquid everywhere (which would be more cone like anyways, but that's besides the point).

Actually, taking it further, why would the form these energies take really matter all that much? A cone shaped acid breath could very well still appear in the same form as traditional fire breath, only difference being that it's probably green breath and it corrodes things it touches rather than combusts them.

Well, its certainly one way to make battling a Black dragon or Green dragon look like a fight with Maleficent from sleeping beauty.

You don't see the acid-line dragons as being like spitting cobras, but with acid instead of venom?

Spitting cobra stuff seems a bit odd if it came from a dragon. Dragons are supposed to be effectively terrifying engines of destruction, and an awesome sight to behold. If a dragon was in a colosseum battle for people's amusement, and saw it spit, rather than shoot nuclear lasers at people... The Audience's opionion would be more "eww" than "HOLY S***!".

Really, every dragon Breath weapon, regardless of type, should look like its energy rather than matter. Or more visually speaking... Like Shingodzilla's breath.


proper plasma is when the electrons, protons and neutrons have enough energy to overcome the attractions between them, requires very high energy - generally only happens at high temps, but not solely (I think cold plasma is a thing) - makes sense that it'd to elec dmg as elec is charged particles flowing, and fire dmg as all the particles have that much energy that they'd give a lot to anything it touched

251 to 300 of 300 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Starfinder / Starfinder General Discussion / Paizo Blog: Class Preview: The Solarian All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.