Meet the Iconics: Iseph

Friday, May 12, 2017

The countdown to Starfinder is on! We're highlighting the iconic characters and core classes that appear throughout the pages and covers the Starfinder line. Today we meet Iseph, the iconic operative!

Illustration by Remko Troost

As biomechanical entities, androids can theoretically live forever with the proper repairs. While some embrace this form of immortality, most androids live what they feel is a full life—usually around a hundred years—and then voluntarily instigate a process called renewal, in which the android's soul leaves its body, allowing a fresh android soul to inhabit it. Most people consider this a joyous occasion, metaphorically equivalent to the old android giving birth to a child, and understand that a post-renewal android is an entirely new person who just happens to inhabit the same body. Yet not all people are willing to honor this change or forgive past debts and slights, and such is the case with Iseph.

Iseph awoke in an abandoned storage facility on the machine world of Aballon, standing upright in a black-market renewal crèche. Around them, the place was completely empty, save for a note and a pen left in the center of the concrete floor. Clearly hastily scrawled, the note read only: Run. Hide. Retaliate. Beware the mark. Next to the words was a drawing of a symbol—the same inexplicable design branded on Iseph's chest. Yet the biggest shock was when Iseph picked up the pen, as the note's writer had clearly intended—for the handwriting on the note matched Iseph's own.

Confused and disoriented, with only some basic downloaded knowledge of the world they'd just been born into, Iseph did as the note instructed, doing their best to disappear into Aballon's bustling android population. It was here that, among other things, they first met other androids and discovered that some identified with particular genders, though Iseph never felt any such personal connection. But the questions raised by the note continued to plague them. Who had worn their body before them? Who were they running from, and why? What was the mysterious symbol? Eventually, Iseph worked up the courage to begin making surreptitious inquiries into the planet's infosphere. All of these searches failed, yet in curious ways, as if the information was being actively scrubbed and redacted. Worse, Iseph began to get the sense of being watched, faces in the crowds that seemed strangely familiar. After a month of tentative forays into they city's silicon underworld, Iseph at last tracked down someone who claimed to recognize the mark, but who insisted on meeting in person at a nearby virus bar.

Iseph was almost to the tavern when it exploded in a massive fireball, the blast consuming an entire city block.

Thoroughly spooked, Iseph fled Aballon, taking passage on a ship to the Diaspora. Yet as they worked there, quickly finding themself a deft hand at piloting rock-hopper shuttles and mining tugs, Iseph's fear turned to anger. Wider Pact Worlds society proved far messier than Aballon's orderly machine culture, and Iseph was first confused and then disgusted by the prejudice and jealousy androids still encountered from some humans. They met android escapees from illegal colonies in the Vast, bearing blatant symbols of corporate ownership and scars from cruel disciplinary implants, and began to suspect what their own mark might say about their origins. Incensed, Iseph made contact with the Android Abolitionist Front, learning to fly more combat-oriented craft, to sneak through the shadows, and to put down the enemies of their people with ruthless efficiency. Under the AAF's guidance, Iseph became a black ops expert, until a disagreement with their handler over a messy job led them to go independent. Today, Iseph officially hires on with freelancer crews as an elite pilot specializing in dangerous transport or exploratory missions—and if those jobs sometimes require a little infiltration or a bullet from the shadows, well, that costs extra.

Though paranoia over being hunted by their mysterious enemy (as well as friends of former assassination targets) makes Iseph something of a loner, the android desperately craves companionship, and is fiercely loyal to those few who prove themselves trustworthy. As a result of their early days on Aballon and personal experience as an android in a largely biological society, Iseph questions or rejects many aspects of mainstream Pact Worlds culture, and enjoys exploring the countercultures on different worlds. Iseph believes the ends often justify the means, yet strives to only take on jobs that fit with their sense of morality. An initial focus on android rights has broadened into a tendency to identify with oppressed people and underdogs everywhere, no matter how alien, and to hate any form of slavery with a passion. While Iseph finds the most joy in flying any manner of ship or vehicle—usually too fast and recklessly for the comfort of their passengers—their infiltration abilities remain as sharp as they ever were, and the former assassin has no objections to pulling out their trusty sniper rifle again when the cause is just.

Unrelated Starfinder Note: We've been doing a lot of previews recently, both here on the Paizo blog and on other websites. There's more than we can contain on the blog, so if you want to see more of the neat stuff that's been revealed (including new art for planets, races, ships, and more—and that's just in the last week!), be sure to bookmark the new Starfinder News Hub thread!

James L. Sutter
Creative Director

More Paizo Blog.
Tags: Iconics Iseph Meet the Iconics Operatives Remko Troost Starfinder
101 to 150 of 171 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>

Torbyne wrote:
QuidEst wrote:
Torbyne wrote:
Owen K. C. Stephens wrote:

In Starfinder, androids have souls. We ever reference that fact in this story. It's not symbolic of some programming glitch -- an android has a soul, can be raised from the dead through the same magic that raises people from the dead, you an go to the outer planes and visit the souls of dead androids waiting in line to be judged. You can be reincarnated as an android.

They are people, not just programs or machines. A human's body is created by a complex chemical process. An android's body is created by a complex technological process.
But they are both people, because they both have souls.
Of course there are people with biases against androids due to the manufactured nature of their physical form, and people who are bigoted for whatever hateful reasons people end up being bigots.
But there's no need for a Turing test in Starfinder.
If you cast raise dead on a typical computer that got broken, even one with an artificial personality, nothing happens. It has no soul.
Cast it on an android, and the android is restored to life.
Androids are people.
Where does that place things like an AI? Since we have an AI based god i assume that at some point what was a machine and some coding attracted a soul?
Androids seem like something of a programmatic shortcut- instead of developing an AI, you use a soul. That doesn't mean that you can't program an AI- an intelligence independent of a soul. The AI deity may not have a soul. (Certainly, Trinity is beyond Starfinder's resurrection tests.)
Right, i think that even Starfinder Androids will be derivative of the work of the Androffans who didnt even seem to know that souls exist, they were just making synthetic humans and apparently that was enough to create a shell that would draw in a soul but it was never intended and both the Androffans and now the Pact Worlds have tons of complex computers without souls. But there is apparently a line somewhere on that spectrum at...

Outsider's can attain divinity. I don't believe outsiders have souls, or at least normal mortal souls. Souls seem like they aren't even necessary for consciousness, they're just the thing that seems to allow for free will without preprogramed intent (a human can become the most virtuous person or the vilest one, but a devil will always be a devil). So an AI without a soul will do just as it's programming desires, but one that has a soul may break from it's original programmed parameters, or possibly even inexplicably rewrite said parameters.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Torbyne wrote:
QuidEst wrote:
Torbyne wrote:
Where does that place things like an AI? Since we have an AI based god i assume that at some point what was a machine and some coding attracted a soul?
Androids seem like something of a programmatic shortcut- instead of developing an AI, you use a soul. That doesn't mean that you can't program an AI- an intelligence independent of a soul. The AI deity may not have a soul. (Certainly, Trinity is beyond Starfinder's resurrection tests.)
Right, i think that even Starfinder Androids will be derivative of the work of the Androffans who didnt even seem to know that souls exist, they were just making synthetic humans and apparently that was enough to create a shell that would draw in a soul but it was never intended and both the Androffans and now the Pact Worlds have tons of complex computers without souls. But there is apparently a line somewhere on that spectrum at which point the code gains a soul. Unless something without a soul can somehow attain godhood... which is a weird thought.

If you haven't seen it yet, when you have the time, watch Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd Gig, and pay attention to...

Spoiler:

...the Tachikoma plotline in both seasons.

(And have tissues ready.)


Ambrosia Slaad wrote:
Torbyne wrote:
QuidEst wrote:
Torbyne wrote:
Where does that place things like an AI? Since we have an AI based god i assume that at some point what was a machine and some coding attracted a soul?
Androids seem like something of a programmatic shortcut- instead of developing an AI, you use a soul. That doesn't mean that you can't program an AI- an intelligence independent of a soul. The AI deity may not have a soul. (Certainly, Trinity is beyond Starfinder's resurrection tests.)
Right, i think that even Starfinder Androids will be derivative of the work of the Androffans who didnt even seem to know that souls exist, they were just making synthetic humans and apparently that was enough to create a shell that would draw in a soul but it was never intended and both the Androffans and now the Pact Worlds have tons of complex computers without souls. But there is apparently a line somewhere on that spectrum at which point the code gains a soul. Unless something without a soul can somehow attain godhood... which is a weird thought.
If you haven't seen it yet, when you have the time, watch Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd Gig, and pay attention to... ** spoiler omitted **

Is it any good? I'm a big anime fan.


this whole soul debeta gives me minecraft mod vibe and its called intangable were you get diffrent souls( passive, agresive, wise, doomed and divine) so if we put this on starfinder / path finder we have humanoid, outsider, elemental and deity souls and the only current thing we inract is humanoid souls which funnly gives huge plot for at least one season man me and my loco mind paizo feel free to stole the idea but please pm me a small response


khadgar567 wrote:
this whole soul debeta gives me minecraft mod vibe and its called intangable were you get diffrent souls( passive, agresive, wise, doomed and divine) so if we put this on starfinder / path finder we have humanoid, outsider, elemental and deity souls and the only current thing we inract is humanoid souls which funnly gives huge plot for at least one season man me and my loco mind paizo feel free to stole the idea but please pm me a small response

I don't think elementals ever have souls, outsiders have a mortals soul combined with "quintessence", and I'm pretty sure most gods existed before the creation of souls at all so I don't think the first gods can even have souls.

Dark Archive

I have a question.
Say Iseph dies for whatever reason, thier soul moves on and gets judged. I got that. Now the new soul enters and it appears from Iseph backstory that personality has some basic skills and presumably a name they choose to identify themselves by. So am i correct in assuming that they are not like children as in blank slate? And it appears that scraps of former memories are sometimes left behind. So where do these new souls come from and how do they have memories? Are they stored somewhere or assembled? I know they arent programs but are they just divinely "aged" to a point where the android is self sufficient?


for some reason i thought that all outsiders had souls but their souls and their physical bodies were basically the same thing. In Forgotten realms i think that meant that killing an outsider on the Prime Material would banish it but killing it on its native plane would outright destroy it. In Pathfinder i have just been assuming it is a similar deal, killing an outsider destroys its soul.

I would have to really dig through the books for the settings details but arent most outsiders made up from mortal souls anyways? The very good ones going on to become good aligned outsiders and the very bad ones to demons/devils? i dont know how elementals would factor into that but they could easily be new souls drawn to the powers of the elemental planes..

Dark Archive

The phrase renwal creche kind of gives an upload download kind of feel to it. So is it possible that old souls retire and at some later point recycle. Or more accuaretly the memories of old souls recycle


Mine all mine...don't touch wrote:

I have a question.

Say Iseph dies for whatever reason, thier soul moves on and gets judged. I got that. Now the new soul enters and it appears from Iseph backstory that personality has some basic skills and presumably a name they choose to identify themselves by. So am i correct in assuming that they are not like children as in blank slate? And it appears that scraps of former memories are sometimes left behind. So where do these new souls come from and how do they have memories? Are they stored somewhere or assembled? I know they arent programs but are they just divinely "aged" to a point where the android is self sufficient?

If they're like pathfinder's androids. If iseph dies for any reason except renewal, the body dies and there is no renewal that occurs (no new soul). The new souls would probably come from either a reincarnated soul, a soul from one of the outer planes that decides it wants to be reincarnated, or it would be a fresh soul created in the positive energy plane. The "brain" may still retain some of the memories of the previous soul, and because the mind is the physical (not metaphysical as in a soul) part of the android in question, renewal may not completely reset the android to a default state. I think it seems from the description of Iseph that androids are born to basically be the stereotypical rpg trope "you wake up with no memories of your previous life but still know how to properly dress yourself and eat." This allows for some memories to bleed through or remain to a degree, because those distant and mostly forgotten memories may be the only frame of reference for how to properly survive as an adult within starfinder.

I feel like I should post a like to this, because it seems kind of relevant when talking about pathfinder/starfinder souls.

Dark Archive

That makes sense to me. So the memories would be fragmentary at best and not like " hey i know how to play the banjo"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Mine all mine...don't touch wrote:

I have a question.

Say Iseph dies for whatever reason, thier soul moves on and gets judged. I got that. Now the new soul enters and it appears from Iseph backstory that personality has some basic skills and presumably a name they choose to identify themselves by. So am i correct in assuming that they are not like children as in blank slate? And it appears that scraps of former memories are sometimes left behind. So where do these new souls come from and how do they have memories? Are they stored somewhere or assembled? I know they arent programs but are they just divinely "aged" to a point where the android is self sufficient?

As far as I can tell, the "memories" are part of the android body. Instead of getting stuck in a tiny meat body that still has to finish growing a brain, the soul gets a nice pre-fab mind that includes an operating manual with an appendix of useful information for life in general. (It's a factory default thing, not memories leftover from last time. If somebody sells you their iPhone, they're going to wipe their personal information, but you'll still have all the default programs.) No need to "age" the soul, you're just starting it with better tools.

Dark Archive

So there is "programming" so to speak but it works hand in hand with a soul? I like that idea. Seems to explain everything. Thank you guys.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Mine all mine...don't touch wrote:
So there is "programming" so to speak but it works hand in hand with a soul?

Sure, in the same way that a brain has programming that works hand in hand with a soul.

Dark Archive

Well yes but the androids is far more advanced.


QuidEst wrote:
Mine all mine...don't touch wrote:
So there is "programming" so to speak but it works hand in hand with a soul?
Sure, in the same way that a brain has programming that works hand in hand with a soul.

That's assuming we have souls. I for one am soulless. BWAHAHAHAHA!!!


it seems they have i think the previous personality's procedural memories - ones that means you remember how to do some things but not the memories specific as to how the memories where gained - so they'd remember how to find a virus bar and that virus bars exist but not remember being in one before


Archmage Variel wrote:
khadgar567 wrote:
this whole soul debeta gives me minecraft mod vibe and its called intangable were you get diffrent souls( passive, agresive, wise, doomed and divine) so if we put this on starfinder / path finder we have humanoid, outsider, elemental and deity souls and the only current thing we inract is humanoid souls which funnly gives huge plot for at least one season man me and my loco mind paizo feel free to stole the idea but please pm me a small response
I don't think elementals ever have souls, outsiders have a mortals soul combined with "quintessence", and I'm pretty sure most gods existed before the creation of souls at all so I don't think the first gods can even have souls.

fluff for soul magic can be addressed by saying until <inseart class> has found current arcane world lacks proper theories which thanks to newly introduced class and its mechanics new knowledge can be gained to further analyze the brand new magic theories by the way if you have time check direwolf20's spotlight of it all info you need is there then its kinda theory crafting to fit the new mold


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Mine all mine...don't touch wrote:
That makes sense to me. So the memories would be fragmentary at best and not like " hey i know how to play the banjo"

that would be interesting.

An android bard (or envoy) with no memory, other than how to play the banjo/lute/guitar. Strangers come up to them and speak as if thry were old friends, but they know nothing of them and is irritated by their banter and endless questions.

He loves the instrument, however. It is the only thing they truly know in this world.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.

The old friends thing must be wierd. People would recognize the androids frame/body but they would have a different personality and or memories. Boy tons of potential there....i need to jot that down in my notes....


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Mine all mine...don't touch wrote:
The old friends thing must be weird. People would recognize the androids frame/body but they would have a different personality and or memories. Boy tons of potential there....i need to jot that down in my notes....

When I think of renewal I get a sort of doctor who vibe. Sure he knows a lot of his previous skills and such, but he's always a different person with a completely different personality and it hurts when the first people he comes to know when he wakes up almost look past him as if he isn't all there or he's missing something. They're not quite the same thing but I think I may try to take some inspiration from it.

Dark Archive

I can even see a cleric trying to "cure" them or attempting to restore memories.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

That's called true resurrection.

Dark Archive

But it wouldnt work if they had renewed would it?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Pretty sure each one has a different soul.


Pathfinder Companion, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
CKent83 wrote:

Are androids genderless (or sexless I guess) though? Since they are created, who's to say they aren't anatomically correct (like Wendy from Dark Matter)? Otherwise, why would some have the appearance of human males, while some have the appearance of human females? What I mean is, the android art from Bestiary 5 has a clearly female form android. Why? Are we back to the Clooney batsuit?

Iseph appears to have the physical body of a human male, but because of various reasons they, like many other androids, prefer a gender-neutral pronoun.

Being anatomically 'correct' doesn't actually necessarily make you have a biological sex unless you can actually reproduce sexually. Though, obviously, it's more likely to make you be treated as though you were a member of said sex, which might contribute to developing a gender identity despite being technically 'sexless', but it's entirely possible to realize that you don't actually have a sex, even if your anatomy is very similar to some creatures who do, and that buying into the associated gender is not necessary...whether that results in choosing to be agendered, genderfluid, or choosing another gender not usually associated with your physical appearance.


Usually a resurrection spell can't resurrect someone who does not want to be brought back to life. An android that goes through renewal has chosen to pass on, and so doubtfully wants to be brought back from the dead. Since it "functions like raise dead" the subject will not return if they aren't willing to do so.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Yes, just went and reread and it EXPLICITLY states that in in the opening sentences.

Blog post wrote:
and then voluntarily instigate a process called renewal, in which the android's soul leaves its body, allowing a fresh android soul to inhabit it.


Will they have a little robot buddy, or are they one of the other kind of mechanic. :-)


It'd be pretty messed up for an android to allow another soul to begin it's life, only for the first soul to change their mind (although that's a great player-specific plot line).

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Archmage Variel wrote:
Usually a resurrection spell can't resurrect someone who does not want to be brought back to life. An android that goes through renewal has chosen to pass on, and so doubtfully wants to be brought back from the dead. Since it "functions like raise dead" the subject will not return if they aren't willing to do so.

*nods*

I can see most not wanting to but depending on whose resurrecting them they might allow themselves to be brought back.


Rysky wrote:
Archmage Variel wrote:
Usually a resurrection spell can't resurrect someone who does not want to be brought back to life. An android that goes through renewal has chosen to pass on, and so doubtfully wants to be brought back from the dead. Since it "functions like raise dead" the subject will not return if they aren't willing to do so.

*nods*

I can see most not wanting to but depending on whose resurrecting them they might allow themselves to be bright back.

Ya but what kind of person tried to steal the body of what basically amounts to their child? Starfinder therapists must have their work cut out for them.

Silver Crusade

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Archmage Variel wrote:
It'd be pretty messed up for an android to allow another soul to begin it's life, only for the first soul to change their mind (although that's a great player-specific plot line).

Planescape Torment says HI!


7 people marked this as a favorite.
Archmage Variel wrote:
It'd be pretty messed up for an android to allow another soul to begin it's life, only for the first soul to change their mind (although that's a great player-specific plot line).

It'd be a pretty good hook for an occult-classed android PC who is haunted/channels previous souls incarnated in the same body.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Archmage Variel wrote:
Rysky wrote:
Archmage Variel wrote:
Usually a resurrection spell can't resurrect someone who does not want to be brought back to life. An android that goes through renewal has chosen to pass on, and so doubtfully wants to be brought back from the dead. Since it "functions like raise dead" the subject will not return if they aren't willing to do so.

*nods*

I can see most not wanting to but depending on whose resurrecting them they might allow themselves to be bright back.

Ya but what kind of person tried to steal the body of what basically amounts to their child? Starfinder therapists must have their work cut out for them.

???

True Resurrection gives you a whole new body.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I had originally kind of written androids off as just being a different flavor of human and was much more interested in some of the more alien races. After this discussion i see a whole lot more interest in the android.


Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber
Archmage Variel wrote:
Rysky wrote:
Archmage Variel wrote:
Usually a resurrection spell can't resurrect someone who does not want to be brought back to life. An android that goes through renewal has chosen to pass on, and so doubtfully wants to be brought back from the dead. Since it "functions like raise dead" the subject will not return if they aren't willing to do so.

*nods*

I can see most not wanting to but depending on whose resurrecting them they might allow themselves to be bright back.

Ya but what kind of person tried to steal the body of what basically amounts to their child? Starfinder therapists must have their work cut out for them.

This makes me wonder how long it takes for a new soul to inhabit an androids body and is it any different when it is due to renewal, homicide, or an accident? And for that matter, do androids commit suicide as a separate concept from renewal?


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Rysky wrote:
Archmage Variel wrote:
Rysky wrote:
Archmage Variel wrote:
Usually a resurrection spell can't resurrect someone who does not want to be brought back to life. An android that goes through renewal has chosen to pass on, and so doubtfully wants to be brought back from the dead. Since it "functions like raise dead" the subject will not return if they aren't willing to do so.

*nods*

I can see most not wanting to but depending on whose resurrecting them they might allow themselves to be bright back.

Ya but what kind of person tried to steal the body of what basically amounts to their child? Starfinder therapists must have their work cut out for them.

???

True Resurrection gives you a whole new body.

Oh good point. Wouldn't "Even true resurrection can’t restore to life a creature who has died of old age." provent true resurrection from functioning? It's basically the android equivalent of passing from old age. The soul no longer has an urge to hold onto its mortal shell and passes on.

Silver Crusade

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Ambrosia Slaad wrote:
Archmage Variel wrote:
It'd be pretty messed up for an android to allow another soul to begin it's life, only for the first soul to change their mind (although that's a great player-specific plot line).
It'd be a pretty good hook for an occult-classed android PC who is haunted/channels previous souls incarnated in the same body.

*nods*

There's also the Shattered Psyche Oracle Curse from Iron Gods as well.

Sovereign Court

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber
Archmage Variel wrote:
Ya but what kind of person tried to steal the body of what basically amounts to their child?

Ephraim Waite?

Dark Archive

I think pathfinder androids take a week. But that doesnt mean much here and that may explain the renewal creche. If its voluentary it may be much quicker

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Archmage Variel wrote:
Rysky wrote:
Archmage Variel wrote:
Rysky wrote:
Archmage Variel wrote:
Usually a resurrection spell can't resurrect someone who does not want to be brought back to life. An android that goes through renewal has chosen to pass on, and so doubtfully wants to be brought back from the dead. Since it "functions like raise dead" the subject will not return if they aren't willing to do so.

*nods*

I can see most not wanting to but depending on whose resurrecting them they might allow themselves to be bright back.

Ya but what kind of person tried to steal the body of what basically amounts to their child? Starfinder therapists must have their work cut out for them.

???

True Resurrection gives you a whole new body.

Oh good point. Wouldn't "Even true resurrection can’t restore to life a creature who has died of old age." provent true resurrection from functioning? It's basically the android equivalent of passing from old age. The soul no longer has an urge to hold onto its mortal shell and passes on.

Ah! Very good point.

Dark Archive

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Ambrosia Slaad wrote:
Archmage Variel wrote:
It'd be pretty messed up for an android to allow another soul to begin it's life, only for the first soul to change their mind (although that's a great player-specific plot line).
It'd be a pretty good hook for an occult-classed android PC who is haunted/channels previous souls incarnated in the same body.

Yeah, I've already heard tell of someone wanting to make a Samsaran Spiritualist who summons up a phantom of one of their previous life-incarnations, but an Android Spiritualist whose phantom is a previous occupant of his body, or an Android Medium who channels spirits of her body's previous tenants, could be funky!

"Three renewals ago, this body was that of a powerful wizard. Give me a minute to use this body we share as a touchstone/focus/fetter to see if I can channel some of her arcane power..."

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Huh, all this discussion makes me wonder what happens to an android who becomes the target of a witch's Forced Reincarnation (and fails the willsave).

What kind of table should be created for androids or will they change type and turn humanoid?

Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber
Damanta wrote:

Huh, all this discussion makes me wonder what happens to an android who becomes the target of a witch's Forced Reincarnation (and fails the willsave).

What kind of table should be created for androids or will they change type and turn humanoid?

In Pathfinder, reincarnating androids works the same way as for any other humanoid. (See Inner Sea Races, page 193.) They don't appear on the expanded table, though, so while you can reincarnate an android, reincarnate can't result in an android.

Dark Archive

8 people marked this as a favorite.

Wicked Witch "If I keep forced reincarnating that android, eventually a *useful* soul might move in..."

<Meanwhile, in the surrounding forest, a half-dozen newly awakened gnomes, elves, etc. are vaguely remembering having been an android working for a particularly short-tempered witch, for a brief period of time...>


Set wrote:

Wicked Witch "If I keep forced reincarnating that android, eventually a *useful* soul might move in..."

<Meanwhile, in the surrounding forest, a half-dozen newly awakened gnomes, elves, etc. are vaguely remembering having been an android working for a particularly short-tempered witch, for a brief period of time...>

I suppose it depends if renewal counts as death by old age.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Set wrote:

Wicked Witch "If I keep forced reincarnating that android, eventually a *useful* soul might move in..."

<Meanwhile, in the surrounding forest, a half-dozen newly awakened gnomes, elves, etc. are vaguely remembering having been an android working for a particularly short-tempered witch, for a brief period of time...>

I somehow feel that if metempsychosis where a thing and if I were to remember my past lives, this would pretty much be the story for most of them.

"Wait a minute. I meditated under this tree for years just to find out I'm the Bodhisattva of Temporary Occupancy? My soul just hangs out until someone better and wiser comes along--like a seat holder at the Oscars for when famous people have to go to the restroom? THAT'S my grand cosmic function?! Dammit..."

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Kalindlara wrote:
In Pathfinder, reincarnating androids works the same way as for any other humanoid. (See Inner Sea Races, page 193.) They don't appear on the expanded table, though, so while you can reincarnate an android, reincarnate can't result in an android.

Ah, that's useful to know, as I don't have Inner Sea Races (yet).


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Rysky wrote:
Archmage Variel wrote:
Rysky wrote:
Archmage Variel wrote:
Usually a resurrection spell can't resurrect someone who does not want to be brought back to life. An android that goes through renewal has chosen to pass on, and so doubtfully wants to be brought back from the dead. Since it "functions like raise dead" the subject will not return if they aren't willing to do so.

*nods*

I can see most not wanting to but depending on whose resurrecting them they might allow themselves to be bright back.

Ya but what kind of person tried to steal the body of what basically amounts to their child? Starfinder therapists must have their work cut out for them.

???

True Resurrection gives you a whole new body.

I don't recall unicron using a diamond...

101 to 150 of 171 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Starfinder / Starfinder General Discussion / Paizo Blog: Meet the Iconics: Iseph All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.