The Wrath of CONNNNNNNNNN!

Friday, July 29, 2016

It's that magical time of year again when I break my time into 30 minute chunks as I leap from state to state and country to country for the annual ritual of level-draining known as "Con Season." I only just returned to the States from (the absolutely wonderful, it must be said) PaizoCon UK, and here I sit in my office with only a few more working hours before it's time to head out to the big one—GEN CON!

This year marks my 22nd consecutive year at the convention, and I'm still just as excited about going as I was that very first year. Since I haven't gotten a chance to actually play a game at Gen Con since the 1990s*, these days the aspect of the convention that most gets my blood pumping is the chance to see old friends from all over the world in the evenings. Also, for about an hour on Sunday, after all the business meetings and seminars and media interviews are over, I like to speed-walk the trade hall on the hunt for new miniatures!

All of the best minis manufacturers are present at the show, displaying their latest and greatest offerings. Because of strange timing this year, WE don't have any brand new WizKids Pathfinder Battles sets to show off, though we will have a few cases of The Rusty Dragon Inn that we managed to find recently. So if you missed that much-in-demand set the first time, you'll have a chance to check it out in the Paizo booth (#103).

We'll also have a few new metal miniatures from our friends at Reaper Miniatures making their debut in the Paizo store, including iconic characters from Occult Adventures and a few other exciting surprises.

As in past years, we've set up a special promotional repaint miniature FREE with purchases of $50 or more at the Paizo booth. This year's promo mini is the Blue Guard, a repaint of the Guard from The Rusty Dragon Inn that we've produced in extremely limited quantities. We should have a FEW of this guy left over for sale here on paizo.com after we get back from the show, but I wouldn't expect him to last long. He's really cool, and guards are the type of figures most GMs want by the small handful.

We'll also be giving away top-secret promo repaints to all ticketed players of the Friday and Saturday night Pathfinder Society Specials in the massive Sagamore Ballroom. If you're there on Friday night especially, there's a good chance that I or a member of the Paizo editorial staff will hand-deliver your limited-edition figure, just by way of saying "thanks" for playing Pathfinder and enjoying what we do. We couldn't do it without you, and a free miniature every once in a while is but a token of our appreciation for your continued gaming loyalty and support.

But most of you won't be at Gen Con, and you're probably eager to see more previews of figures from the upcoming Deadly Foes set. I've been on the road at conventions the last two Fridays, so it's understandable if everyone is a little bit starved of previews.

So let's get on with it!

It's unbelievably hot in Seattle right now, so today's previews both involve FIRE! Up first we have the Peri, from Bestiary 3. Peris are a race of celestials native to the good-aligned Outer Planes, but they are often found in the company of mortals on the Material Plane. Sworn enemies of divs, Peris are drawn from Persian mythology, and their fiery wings certainly give them a nifty appearance. At CR 14, you're gonna want a pretty titanic battle to make up for these guys being in the Common rarity slot, but hey, at least they look really sweet with clear wings and a great sculpt. The Peri is a Medium figure.

As I sit here writing this, the sun is beating into my office, which has surely grown as hot as the flaming bow of this incredible Erinyes devil. It's difficult to believe it's taken us this long to create one of the most iconic and beloved devils, but some of our early sets were so filled with winged female fiends that I wanted to wait for the right time for this specific creature to strike. WizKids has done a phenomenal job with the sculpt—don't let the relatively simple paint job fool you. This one is a winner. The Erinyes is a Medium, uncommon figure.

And that's it! I'm off to Gen Con. If you can catch me between meetings in the Paizo booth, I'd love to chat with you about Pathfinder Battles, miniatures in general, or pretty much whatever! It's great to get to see our customers face-to-face at the show, and more than a few of those conversations have resulted in figures added to the line, so you never know! I'm always open to suggestions.

See you at the show, or see you back here in a couple weeks!

Until then, I remain...

Erik Mona
Publisher

* Ok, that's a bit of an exaggeration! I'm actually playing in a LIVE Pathfinder game this year with Jason Bulmahn, F. Wesley Schneider, and Crystal Frasier! It's the Live RPG Plus "celebrity" gaming event on Saturday night at 7:00 in the Westin Capitol III room. I understand tickets are still available. You can find more information HERE!

More Paizo Blog.
Tags: Deadly Foes Gen Con Gen Con 2016 Miniatures Pathfinder Battles
Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

Very strange hobgoblins these.

The Erinyes is excellent and the rarity means easy to get. Great choice, never mind the simple paint scheme it matches the artwork perfectly. I truly hope this one translates well from digital to plastic.

The peri is common so I shouldn't expect to much but it's the first in the set that gas me going "hmm", not love not hate just neutral. I imagine the transparent wings will make it better in hand though.

Still looking to be an awesome set. Will we be seeing production minis at some point? It's always nice to see the actual thing rather than just the digitals

Dark Archive

Now you have shown us all 13 commons.

The Blue Guard is solid.

The Peri is the first common mini in this set, that i don't like very much.
It is less detailed than the picture in Bestiary 3.
Normally i would say that it is to obscure to be a common and should probably be switched with the Bearded Devil (uncommon) at CR5, rarity-wise.
But i guess it's cool they got switched, so we can get a more detailed Bearded Devil mini.

The Erinyes is perfect!
Also at uncommon, we should get 3 in a case, which is the maximum number encountered at once.

Thanks for the Con stories and great previews, Erik!

4 medium uncommon creatures,
3 large uncommon creatures,
4 rare medium creatures (Aasimar Paladin included) and 1 rare large creature (Planetar) to show!

And 5 dressings. ;-)

Have fun at GenCon, Erik!

Shadow Lodge

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

1 large rare? We've seen pit fiend and gynosphinx, what was the other one? Typically 4 large rares in a set.


Thank you so much, Erik, for not putting a clear peg up the Erinyes' bottom! I love it.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Cat-thulhu wrote:
1 large rare? We've seen pit fiend and gynosphinx, what was the other one? Typically 4 large rares in a set.

Keketar Protean, yeah sorry - we havn't seen the 3D render yet, only the picture from the Bestiary 2, my bad.

But i know it's gonna be good.

13 weeks till release & 18 renders yet to show.

I think it would be ok to switch to pictures of production minis (if available).

I think Wizkids will show lots of actual minis next week at GenCon - they have too, because they haven't shown any actual production minis from the D&D set and only 10 renders - and the set releases on september 1st.
They will also have some PFB minis, i'm sure.

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion Subscriber

Another promo repaint to be endlessly worried about. -_-

Really glad to see the Erinyes, though.


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, Starfinder Accessories, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Kalindlara wrote:
Another promo repaint to be endlessly worried about. -_-

Heh. Glad it's not just me. :)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber
Steve Geddes wrote:
Kalindlara wrote:
Another promo repaint to be endlessly worried about. -_-
Heh. Glad it's not just me. :)

It's me too, completionist. O.o


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, Pawns, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Lorian wrote:
Steve Geddes wrote:
Kalindlara wrote:
Another promo repaint to be endlessly worried about. -_-
Heh. Glad it's not just me. :)
It's me too, completionist. O.o

I feel that OCD need to complete, but I have learned to take a Zen approach. You must learn to let go....

;)

Sovereign Court RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32, 2010 Top 8

Peri, Peri spread your wings
Show us all your pretty things.

Dark Archive

And it at least Two reprints ;)

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I've wanted a good Erinyes mini for almost as long as I've been playing Pathfinder - I am SO happy to see one in this set!!!


2 people marked this as a favorite.

"It's unbelievably hot in Seattle right now"

*looks up Seattle forecast for the week*

*sees not a single day with a high above 80F*

*looks up Seattle record high temp for August 1*

*it's 86F*

*weeps internally*


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

liking the sculpts, not so keen on a CR14 as a common.
Is it a good stand in for a lower CR creature?

Sovereign Court

Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Companion, Maps Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber
Marco Massoudi wrote:


I think Wizkids will show lots of actual minis next week at GenCon - they have too, because they haven't shown any actual production minis from the D&D set and only 10 renders - and the set releases on september 1st.
They will also have some PFB minis, i'm sure.

I don't think WizKids will be at GenCon. If we see minis they might have to be from other sources.


armac wrote:
Marco Massoudi wrote:


I think Wizkids will show lots of actual minis next week at GenCon - they have too, because they haven't shown any actual production minis from the D&D set and only 10 renders - and the set releases on september 1st.
They will also have some PFB minis, i'm sure.
I don't think WizKids will be at GenCon. If we see minis they might have to be from other sources.

I just looked at the exhibition hall map and noted that WizKids does not have a booth there. This means that neither Wizards or WizKids will be displaying the D&D minis at the convention.

As this is "the big convention" to be at, I can't believe either will not have a presence in the exhibition hall. Its such a great opportunity to promote the product lines, and attach real faces to the people making the games. Oh well... I guess that just means more room for the Paizo booth!

Dark Archive

Kor - Orc Scrollkeeper wrote:
armac wrote:
Marco Massoudi wrote:


I think Wizkids will show lots of actual minis next week at GenCon - they have too, because they haven't shown any actual production minis from the D&D set and only 10 renders - and the set releases on september 1st.
They will also have some PFB minis, i'm sure.
I don't think WizKids will be at GenCon. If we see minis they might have to be from other sources.

I just looked at the exhibition hall map and noted that WizKids does not have a booth there. This means that neither Wizards or WizKids will be displaying the D&D minis at the convention.

As this is "the big convention" to be at, I can't believe either will not have a presence in the exhibition hall. Its such a great opportunity to promote the product lines, and attach real faces to the people making the games. Oh well... I guess that just means more room for the Paizo booth!

I know why they are not there - Storm King's Thunder has been pushed back to september 30th.

That means NO MINIATURE NEWS AT GEN CON! :-(

Dark Archive

Wow, this was a really short minis blog post-wise.

It doesn't look like we will get one tonight, as Erik is busy on Gen Con and there are no news from D&D either.
:-(

Dark Archive

Wizkids just told me that their next D&D set will be out on september 21st in the USA.

That means PFB: DF should be out 8-9 weeks later (16th or 23rd of november).

14 or 15 weeks to go!


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

Getting real tired of the delays -.-


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Lorian wrote:
Getting real tired of the delays -.-

It is unfortunate that we have these pauses, however given how many other things Erik is involved with, to some degree they are inevitable. Add into that mix convention season, and the pressures on his time are even greater. Erik is also the point person on the miniatures line, so it may not be a task he could really delegate.

Given that Paizo's competitor has no set schedule for reveals, and appears to give little value in building interest and excitement around the release of a new set, I'd say we are still getting a decent amount of reveals from Paizo.

Dark Archive

I fear we won't get another preview so fast.
Lisa Stevens wrote that Erik changed the schedule of the rpg line a few weeks before gen con and he understandably will have less time now.
Notice how he wrote "see you back here in a couple weeks" in this blog?
:-(

(it's all for better quality, so it is cool.)

Dark Archive

I just noticed that wizkids have listed a price of $16.99 for it´s upcoming D&D boosters.
That´s $1 more per booster (Huge minis confirmed?).

Pathfinder Battles: DF are still listed as $15.99.


I have now added new pictures of the GenCon 2016 promo minis to my gallery:
http://www.pathfinderminis.com/gallery0.htm

I'm also doing a soft launch of my Facebook site for letting people know when new minis have been added to the galleries. Feel free to keep an eye on:
https://www.facebook.com/minisgallery/


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber
Kor - Orc Scrollkeeper wrote:

I have now added new pictures of the GenCon 2016 promo minis to my gallery:

http://www.pathfinderminis.com/gallery0.htm

you've been a bit too generous with the "r" in King Irovettis name there.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber
Kor - Orc Scrollkeeper wrote:
Lorian wrote:
Getting real tired of the delays -.-

It is unfortunate that we have these pauses, however given how many other things Erik is involved with, to some degree they are inevitable. Add into that mix convention season, and the pressures on his time are even greater. Erik is also the point person on the miniatures line, so it may not be a task he could really delegate.

Given that Paizo's competitor has no set schedule for reveals, and appears to give little value in building interest and excitement around the release of a new set, I'd say we are still getting a decent amount of reveals from Paizo.

Sorry, I should clarify. I understand the preview delays. What I do appreciate is the huge gap between sets. Honestly, forcing a 10 month gap between sets because another company has a mini set coming out is stupid. They've had a release more recently, if anything whiskidz should have pushed back THEIR set. Rusty Dragon came out in JANUARY. this big a gap is absurd.

Dark Archive

Lorian wrote:
Kor - Orc Scrollkeeper wrote:
Lorian wrote:
Getting real tired of the delays -.-

It is unfortunate that we have these pauses, however given how many other things Erik is involved with, to some degree they are inevitable. Add into that mix convention season, and the pressures on his time are even greater. Erik is also the point person on the miniatures line, so it may not be a task he could really delegate.

Given that Paizo's competitor has no set schedule for reveals, and appears to give little value in building interest and excitement around the release of a new set, I'd say we are still getting a decent amount of reveals from Paizo.

Sorry, I should clarify. I understand the preview delays. What I do appreciate is the huge gap between sets. Honestly, forcing a 10 month gap between sets because another company has a mini set coming out is stupid. They've had a release more recently, if anything whiskidz should have pushed back THEIR set. Rusty Dragon came out in JANUARY. this big a gap is absurd.

I absolutely agree with you.

But there is nothing Paizo or Erik can do about it.

Wizkids decides when to publish which minis.
And i guess Wizards of the Coast and D&D are able to influence these decisions a little more than Paizo, because frankly they are much bigger as company and as a brand.

That said, it was the first time that there has been a gap longer than 7 month between 2 sets and i have heard that the nexz set is planned for a summer release.

We had times when there was just 2 months between sets, which was very short, but 10 months is too long.

Here's hopin' that the future is better. :-)


Lorian wrote:
Sorry, I should clarify. I understand the preview delays. What I do appreciate is the huge gap between sets. Honestly, forcing a 10 month gap between sets because another company has a mini set coming out is stupid. They've had a release more recently, if anything whiskidz should have pushed back THEIR set. Rusty Dragon came out in JANUARY. this big a gap is absurd.

Definitely with you there! Sadly, WizKids calls the shots, and Paizo really has no control over the release schedule -- and I'm fairly certain that they are just as frustrated about it as we are.

While I do also enjoy collecting the D&D miniatures, historically WotC only produces the minis when they are supported by other lines (i.e. the same minis are used in D&D Attack Wing and D&D boardgames). Should support for these other product lines drop, the D&D Icons line could be cancelled -- this would allow for more Pathfinder Battles releases then :)


DropBearHunter wrote:
Kor - Orc Scrollkeeper wrote:

I have now added new pictures of the GenCon 2016 promo minis to my gallery:

http://www.pathfinderminis.com/gallery0.htm
you've been a bit too generous with the "r" in King Irovettis name there.

But it rolls off the tongue better that way :)

Thanks for noticing it -- all fixed now.

The Exchange

2 people marked this as a favorite.

I have to confess, my wallet is secretly glad of this gap between sets.

Dark Archive

The Peri killed my Strix prediction.
But i guess i can use the Erinyes in it's place.

Erik, could you please show us the missing hobgoblin (samurai) for Tian Xia fans? ;-)

13 weeks till release and 17 minis to show.

Dark Archive

Damn, i'm hungry for some miniature news.
D&D hasn't been able to show anything new for months and their set is supposed to come out on sept 21st.
I didn't order it, because i don't know what to expect.
Instead i'm going to put my money into a case and incentive of Deadly Foes and hope Erik has the time between writing the "Pathfinder: Worldscape" comics, putting together the "2016 Product Catalog" and managing the RPG line, to post a miniature-sized miniature blog. ;-)

Paizo Employee Publisher, Chief Creative Officer

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Glad to have lived up to your hopes, Marco! :)

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Erik Mona wrote:

Glad to have lived up to your hopes, Marco! :)

You exceeded them by far, Erik - i would have been happy with just one mini render and what did i get?

3 and a lot of very exciting vague hints at the next TWO sets!

Is it true that you are the creator of GALT?

If so, great job!
I would love to see a few (2 male, 2 female?) Grey Gardeners and a Final Blade guillotine as a large dressing piece!
:-)

Community / Forums / Paizo / Licensed Products / Miniatures / Paizo Blog: The Wrath of CONNNNNNNNNN! All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Miniatures