Announcing Pathfinder Metal Dice!

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Are you ready to roll? Our latest collaboration with Q-workshop is a step beyond for Pathfinder and dice fans! Today, they've launched their first Kickstarter project to create a new 7-dice fully metal set of Pathfinder dice. This new set will push the boundaries of dice production, with each die featuring an intricate design, fine 3D detailing, and subtle finishing.


This image is a visualization and finished product may vary.

We know that fans of Pathfinder really love dice, and so do we! If you follow our Pathfinder Adventure Path line, you may recognize Q-workshop from their line of themed dice sets. Each of these sets has been designed to tie into the visual themes of the Pathfinder Adventure Path campaigns, complete with etched detailing and vibrant colors.

This Pathfinder Metal Dice Set project will be a truly awesome technical achievement in dice production. While Q-workshop has always been at the forefront of making the beautiful dice sets, and has produced in metal, no set has ever been created quite like this. The success of this Kickstarter will enable them to continue to do more unique and exciting projects in the future.

"We are really excited," says Agnieszka Przychodniak, Project Manager at Q-workshop, "both because this is our first Kickstarter project and also because of the technological side of this endeavour—it's quite a challenge! We are really looking forward to creating this dice set together with the Kickstarter community."

Help Paizo and Q-workshop get metal! Check out the Kickstarter, or subscribe to get a look at the designs and get all the updates!

Chris Lambertz
Community & Digital Content Director

More Paizo Blog.
Tags: Licensed Products Q-workshop

In for a set. These are sexy as heck!

Dark Archive

I too am in for a set. These were a must have for me.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path Subscriber

I think my favorite thing is that these are readable. So many of the QWS dice have too much intricacy to be legible from any meaningful distance. I'm looking to buy lots of these things.


granted, they look nice.

And the price for a set seems high, but okay too, given that they aren't simple dice but nicely crafted...

But, are you planning to use them? or just have them for the looks?

From the kickstarter, they are 7,5 times as heavy as normal dice, and from the comments, a bit bigger than normal ones.

I think I still might chip in, seeing as they would retail for above $100 later on, but I'm on the fence here...


Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path Subscriber
DM Sothal wrote:

granted, they look nice.

And the price for a set seems high, but okay too, given that they aren't simple dice but nicely crafted...

But, are you planning to use them? or just have them for the looks?

From the kickstarter, they are 7,5 times as heavy as normal dice, and from the comments, a bit bigger than normal ones.

I think I still might chip in, seeing as they would retail for above $100 later on, but I'm on the fence here...

Oh, absolutely I'd use them. I've already got some full-size metal dice and I actually like the heft. Yes, rolling 20d6 at once would be a good weight, but I'm not worried.

The thing to keep in mind for use is table surface. I've got a very old hand-made wooden drafting table that I use for gaming. The wood is soft enough that metal dice would probably leave minor scars from impact if dropped from a foot or higher up but I always have a vinyl battlemat on top of the wood. That's enough padding to mitigate any issues. I wouldn't use these on glass.

Shadow Lodge

Man, this filled up quick.

Scarab Sages

I'll use them as well. I have a fantastic wooden dice box that I roll into, so I don't need to worry about damaging the table. I'm hoping there will be an option to add individual dice as an add-on. I'd like to add a couple d6 without having to buy a full set.


Pathfinder Card Game Subscriber

Right now I'm in for a set of d4 to d20's. They look nice and I plan on rolling in dice tray.


The Dice look really great.
I am in already and i can not await to hold them in hand.

First stretch Goal is nearly reached and hopefully soon the copper dice were unlocked. They look much more awsome. I think i will order them too.

Sovereign Court RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32, 2010 Top 8

I just wish we could get 10 dice sets for these, and the regular dice *grumble*


Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path Subscriber
Matthew Morris wrote:
I just wish we could get 10 dice sets for these, and the regular dice *grumble*

They've been pressured. I suspect it'll happen. It's really about finding a solution that isn't "put exactly 13 of X and exactly 8 of Y and exactly 9 of Z into this bag".

Silver Crusade

I'm in! These will be my first metal set + they do look very nice. While I think the price is higher then I'd normally want to pay (I said $50 in the pre-survey).

I'm not excited too much about the stretch goals so far. I like the coppers thou & hope there is option to get those vs the regular ones.

I need to find something to put them thou as I really don't want to use the dice bag. A "dice box" would be a nice option :)


Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path Subscriber
Haldir wrote:
While I think the price is higher then I'd normally want to pay (I said $50 in the pre-survey).

Remember it's shipping included, world-wide. That's unusual for a Kickstarter. Typically I see anywhere from $10 to $50 for shipping of small items up to heavy books.

Quote:
I'm not excited too much about the stretch goals so far. I like the coppers thou & hope there is option to get those vs the regular ones.

Stretch goals are purely cheap give-aways to encourage word-of-mouth advertisement. As for the copper, two things to note if you (evidently) haven't been reading the comments. One, they're copper-plated, so expected to wear over time. Thus, more display/hero dice than daily production dice. Two, yes, there will be an option to get copper instead of plain metal. They will be more expensive than the plain metal because - again - there's an extra step, plating.

Silver Crusade

Oh I know about shipping costs, I've done Kickstarters before., I'm just a regular Chessex dice thrower :)

I knew going into this the initial price would be higher then I'd want to pay for a dice set. I'll be getting these sets cause I like the design of the dice + help people that I want em as well. Nice to hear about the shipping thou, I didn't see that.

As far as the coppers, it appears that once they get unlocked (pretty sure they will) you'll have the option to switch to those. Pretty sure it'll be a extra bump in pledge dollars of course. Thou the regular set is growing on me. I'd like it if the #s could be made in red thou. :D

As far as dice throwing, I play 1 weekend a year (ReaperCon) these days so mine will stay in pristine condition for quite awhile. I am looking for a special case for em thou as I'd like em to not roll around in the regular dice bag. Kinda like to see something pop up as a add-on or goal but I may have a local solution.


Update!

They already hit the first stretch goal (a dice pouch), and have added a goblin themed d20 as the 125k stretch goal. You can vote for the color scheme on their site (I like the green-black myself). Rumor has it that they will add more of the goblin dice as other stretch goals.

This too is my first set of metal dice, so I'm excited for them. It's been quiet the last day or so, sitting just under 100k. Let's keep it moving!

Lantern Lodge

Paizo Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Just read Paizo's new e-mail update on the KS and that they are now adding copper sets - and they limited them to only 200 backers for the full RPG set unless you do an add-on to the regular 'tin' set pledge. Well, that helped me easily decide if I was going to back the project -- a resounding NO!!!!

Sorry, I'm not going to be forced to spend even more to get a set I don't want in order to get the set I do want. Good thing they obviously aren't actually interested in selling dice but instead come up w/ a SCAM to sucker more money out of you.


Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path Subscriber
Abierzen wrote:

Just read Paizo's new e-mail update on the KS and that they are now adding copper sets - and they limited them to only 200 backers for the full RPG set unless you do an add-on to the regular 'tin' set pledge. Well, that helped me easily decide if I was going to back the project -- a resounding NO!!!!

Sorry, I'm not going to be forced to spend even more to get a set I don't want in order to get the set I do want. Good thing they obviously aren't actually interested in selling dice but instead come up w/ a SCAM to sucker more money out of you.

Um. <deep breath> It's clear you're upset. You're using a lot of fighting words. My urge is to react in kind, but I'll do my best to keep calm.

Friend, you've got the wrong of the situation. From Day #1, QWS has been 100% clear that this Kickstarter is for a set of "silvery" dice. That's the product and that's always been the product. Always.

Now, what's also been advertised since the inception of this is that a set of copper dice would be come available as an add-on, should the stretch-goal be met.

Add-on. Not alternate-pledge. Add-on.

There's never been an implication that anyone could just order a set of copper dice. They've always been explained as a reward should the overall project fund very well, as something those who funded the project could purchase as a Kickstarter exclusive.

I'm sorry you've misunderstood what this was always about.

As for QWS' desire to sell dice, they've been very flexible. The addition of the 3-pack add-ons was in reaction to backer-demand, for instance. Also, they've been very clear in the comments area that while they intended to make 200 sets of copper dice, they also expected the demand to be roughly that, and since a number of people have been unable to get in on the 200 sets, QWS has told those people not to worry, and that they'll make sure they get a set. As in, QWS is going to make more than the 200 sets expected. It's not too late.

I'd like to point out that if you really want a copper set, you've got a few options. One: you could buy the base set plus copper, and re-sell the base set later. QWS has said they'll be selling the base set after the KS is over, but they'll be (much) more expensive, in excess of $100 a set. So you may have an opportunity to make some money if you sit on the base set a while. Maybe. Two: you may be able to partner up with someone via the comments area. If you can find someone who is buying only the base set, you could perhaps find a method to get them to purchase the coppers and sell to you once they've got them.

One last thing, make sure you're aware, the copper set is plated, not solid. Also, while QWS does say they're usable, they note that extra care should be taken with the set since the plating can be damaged and/or wear. The copper set IMHO is a show-set, not a play-set.

Sovereign Court RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32, 2010 Top 8

I'm happy to see the three dice add on. *sigh* Just don't have the money for it.

(psst, Paizo, how about 10 dice AP dice sets? My Rise, Second Darkness, and Shattered Star sets want friends)


Anguish wrote:
Sensible stuff

I have to say though, that copper set looks amazing and I'd be keen on just those. Sadly they all went.

Tin < Copper, but sadly it appears you need to have both.

I feel a bit Sad Panda that the Coppers aren't a standalone, even if there were some left :)

That said it LOOKED like a straight $89 pledge, not an add-on.


I am part of this kickstarter, i invested for a base set as well as the set of d6's.

I think they look cool, they have done a great job. Unfortunately there is a lot of complaints on the kickstarter website as well as one here where people havn't read anything about the kickstarter being for a set of silvery dice. Actually they found tin to be the metal of choice. The add on's are just that, an add on.

Now what i would like to see from Paizo, since we are all fans of Paizo and pathfinder, i would like to see a benefit from them for those of us supporting this kickstarter. After all we will be using these awesome metal dice and having people ask what the P stands for. Maybe something to the effect of a free reroll on a saving through, or one free reroll per scenario. That would be awesome.

I know at some conventions you can buy a shirt or a folio which will give you a free re-roll on something.

Just wishful thinking. Hope you all enjoy the dice as much as i will.

Doug


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Shifty wrote:
Anguish wrote:
Sensible stuff

I have to say though, that copper set looks amazing and I'd be keen on just those. Sadly they all went.

Tin < Copper, but sadly it appears you need to have both.

I feel a bit Sad Panda that the Coppers aren't a standalone, even if there were some left :)

That said it LOOKED like a straight $89 pledge, not an add-on.

Just an FYI, you can still get the copper dice, i know it says they only make 200 sets available, if you look at the q&a on the kickstarter page, if you add the amount of copper dice set to your order you will still get them, they just cant guarantee you will get them on time, will be a slight delay on copper dice, but they will make as many as have been requested on the kickstarter page, regardless of the 200 limit.

The Exchange

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber

So GenCon attendees get their dice before a backer does? All because the (well established, I might add) companies involved couldn't be bothered to ship copper dice and other assorted trinkets separately? As a frequent backer I'm used to some BS excuses on KS, but established companies failing this hard, with a moving goal post of expectations makes me wonder whom the project manager was and if they've been sacked yet.
Why not tell us that due to GenCon it'll be mid October before US backers can expect to see their rewards?
next update - "GenCon come see us! Sorry no more shipments until after con"
following update - "We got sick at GenCon no/slow dice shipping for next couple weeks"
following update (mid October) - "Good news! We are shipping your dice look for your shipping notice!"
Now wait 4-6 weeks for shipping...

Prove me wrong, I bet you won't!

Shame on Paizo for allowing Q Workshop to fail this hard and keeping your customers in the dark and misinformed for over 6 months of late delivery. You should never have allowed them to keep moving the goal post on us, they should've just been honest after the timeframe wasn't going to work and set a reasonable goal rather than the dewy-eyed string along of excuses. If they were honest about their failure many of your customers wouldn't be as mad as they are and I put a lot of this on you guys as the liscence holder, you should never have allowed them to fail and deceive your customers for the last 6 months! Enjoy your con where your customers can roll these dice that will likely be on sale there, while the backers and loyal customers that made this project happen don't have the product that was promised to them over 6 months ago!


While I can understand the indignation, I don't think they left you uninformed with their updates in the last couple months.
In particular, they already met their goals for all the backers of non-copper dice outside of the US, so it's not like they are shying away from work.

That delays happen in kickstarter campaigns are nothing new and are totally to be expected, and you also had the option to pay extra for delivery by christmas as I recall.

You also have to see that q-workshop is a polish company and thus situated in europe. If they want to sell the dice at a discount for the backers, they have to save in shipping cost and so on, so it made sense to ship the many packages to the US together. Would you have payed extra to receive two separate shippings?

Just to give you some perspective:
That happens almost always with kickstarters situated in the US when you are a european backer - the US backers get their stuff immediately and you can wait another 1-2 months in europe in the meantime. That sucks as well, but it seems to be accepted as the way things are being handled, so I guess that just means it's the other way around once in a while as well.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

Weaponbreaker : they proved you wrong :)

they confirm the US shipments is ongoing and Gencon will not have kickstarter items, as they keep priority for backer (Q-workshop : 1 point)

also I received mine last week (I'm European) and they're really good quality.

so "shame on Paizo for..."
I'd rather say : nice job Paizo for associating with established companies that provides quality items (also books, ...) labelled Pathfinder !

man, if you can't live with a few month delay , don't back anymore on kickstarter ...


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Weaponbreaker wrote:

So GenCon attendees get their dice before a backer does? All because the (well established, I might add) companies involved couldn't be bothered to ship copper dice and other assorted trinkets separately? As a frequent backer I'm used to some BS excuses on KS, but established companies failing this hard, with a moving goal post of expectations makes me wonder whom the project manager was and if they've been sacked yet.

Why not tell us that due to GenCon it'll be mid October before US backers can expect to see their rewards?
next update - "GenCon come see us! Sorry no more shipments until after con"
following update - "We got sick at GenCon no/slow dice shipping for next couple weeks"
following update (mid October) - "Good news! We are shipping your dice look for your shipping notice!"
Now wait 4-6 weeks for shipping...

Prove me wrong, I bet you won't!

Shame on Paizo for allowing Q Workshop to fail this hard and keeping your customers in the dark and misinformed for over 6 months of late delivery. You should never have allowed them to keep moving the goal post on us, they should've just been honest after the timeframe wasn't going to work and set a reasonable goal rather than the dewy-eyed string along of excuses. If they were honest about their failure many of your customers wouldn't be as mad as they are and I put a lot of this on you guys as the liscence holder, you should never have allowed them to fail and deceive your customers for the last 6 months! Enjoy your con where your customers can roll these dice that will likely be on sale there, while the backers and loyal customers that made this project happen don't have the product that was promised to them over 6 months ago!

Have you talked to Throne of Night backers, for perspective on when a project truly is late, with an actual lack of communication. :-)

Liberty's Edge

I really like the look of these dice, but I'm not into metal dice. Has there been any talk of offering these same dice (same cool shape, look, etc.) but made from more standard 'plastic' material?


Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path Subscriber
Marc Radle wrote:
I really like the look of these dice, but I'm not into metal dice. Has there been any talk of offering these same dice (same cool shape, look, etc.) but made from more standard 'plastic' material?

Zero. The entire point of the project was to push the state-of-the-art with metal dice.

I wouldn't be surprised if QWS continues to push the boundaries over time, but I'm sure there's no intent to back-port the design to different material.

Also - for the record - these are deeply awesome.


Why is their kickstarter page down?


Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path Subscriber
Bianchi wrote:
Why is their kickstarter page down?

Looks like they dropped DNS resolution for that hostname. The actual page on kickstarter.com is still present.

Community / Forums / Paizo / Licensed Products / General Discussion / Paizo Blog: Announcing Pathfinder Metal Dice! All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in General Discussion