The Giants Are Coming!

Thursday, January 22, 2015

It's nearly February, which means it's almost time for the next Pathfinder Adventure Path, Giantslayer! And it all kicks off with Pathfinder Adventure Path #91: Battle of Bloodmarch Hill. Fans of the orc hold of Belkzen should get kick out of this first installment, which starts in the human town of Trunau in Belkzen, and while you'll see plenty of orcs at the beginning of this Adventure Path, we move into giantslaying territory pretty quickly. In fact, the PCs will have to face their first giant before the Battle of Bloodmarch Hill is finished!

The Giantslayer Adventure Path features an almost bewildering variety of Brobdingnagian foes for your PCs to battle and slay, from old favorites like hill giants, stone giants, frost giants, fire giants, cloud giants, and storm giants, to less common colossi like cave giants, marsh giants, slag giants, and ash giants, not to mention cyclopes, ettins, ogres, trolls, and more. We've even got a couple of all new giants—the mongrel giant and the tomb giant—making appearances in Giantslayer, so be sure to take a look at the bestiaries for this AP.


Illustration by Ekaterina Burmak

Illustrations by Dmitry Burmak, Miguel Regodon Harkness, Maichol Quinto

So get ready! In just a few short weeks, the Giantslayer Adventure Path arrives! And keep an eye on this blog for the Giantslayer Player's Guide, which will be here soon, featuring a gazetteer of the town of Trunau (previously featured in Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Towns of the Inner Sea) and all sorts of tips and tricks to make the best giantslaying character out there! Until then, check out some of the art that will appear in the Giantslayer Adventure Path.

Rob McCreary
Senior Developer

More Paizo Blog.
Tags: Dmitry Burmak Ekaterina Burmak Giantslayer Maichol Quinto Miguel Regodon Harkness Pathfinder Adventure Path
1 to 50 of 73 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook Subscriber

Exciting!!! I really like the Rune Giant sending the Hill giant mooks to do her dirty work!
The singles are clearly a marsh giant and a stone giant, but I can't figure out what the middle one is.

Grand Lodge

I think it's a taiga giant... perhaps.

Excited to see how this path turns out. :)


Sounds like a great campaign to be an enchanter in! Come to me, giants, bring me your low will saves! Mwahahaha.


Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Hmm, a rune giant...
wonder if this will work as a sequel for the kids of my current runelord campaign's heros.


I really hope you create a feat in the upcoming AP to fix a giants horrible aim with rocks. I really miss Brutal Throw. I use it in my home games, but I'd love the Pathfinder treatment to it.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Card Game, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

If ever there was a call for an all-small AP cabal, this would surpass them all.

Too bad it's not released in the fall.

-Dink (Poet Laureate of Whistledown)


A Rune Giant plus a ton of Hill Giants? Welp, those fort defenders are pretty much SCREWED! Hope they had life insurance policies.


Quote:
the mongrel giant and the tomb giant

There goes my hope for more mythological based giants...

These sound like environment giants to me, hopefully i'm wrong though.

Grand Lodge

Devils, golems and giants are my top three monsters to throw at players. This will be a must have AP for me.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

If we get more Orc and Giant minis out of this then I am one happy DM (GM whatever we have to call ourselves anymore). I'm very curious to see how the series builds up a character to be a Giantslayer!


This looks wonderful!

Dark Archive

We already earned the Giantslayer achievement in RotR4. So much loot, none of it useful to the players.
I really don't see the fun in this AP.

Grand Lodge Contributor

Assuming that's a pic of giants attacking Trunau, the town looks a bit different/smaller than the pic in Towns of the Inner Sea.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

Does anyone else have the Attack on Titan theme playing in their head each time they read anything about this AP?

Dark Archive

Gentleman Alligator wrote:
Does anyone else have the Attack on Titan theme playing in their head each time they read anything about this AP?

It works with everything. Be sure to watch out for NPCs with huge noses. They might be traitors.


I wonder of the tomb giant will be related to the raam that appeared in the Age of Worms adventure path?


Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook Subscriber
increddibelly wrote:

We already earned the Giantslayer achievement in RotR4. So much loot, none of it useful to the players.

I really don't see the fun in this AP.

I do believe JJ mentioned on his thread that there will be a mechanism for resizing large items for Medium/small creatures. There was a similar issue in WotR (crusaders can't use all the unholy weapons they loot) and the work around is fairly elegant.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I just want to applaud the adjectivized Gulliver's Travels reference. :)

Dark Archive

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber
Valantrix1 wrote:
I really hope you create a feat in the upcoming AP to fix a giants horrible aim with rocks. I really miss Brutal Throw. I use it in my home games, but I'd love the Pathfinder treatment to it.

Pick up Legendary Games' Mythic Monsters - Giants. It's got a great little section on variant rules to beef up PfRPG giants so they aren't quite what your players might be expecting, including a rule for hurling boulders into a given square as attacks vs. AC 5, rather than as regular ranged attacks,which most giants suck at.

Seriously, for a (sub)type of monsters that every player has seen or fought against time and again like good old giants, a bit of Mythic can be the thing that makes you think twice about them just being old and boring. You never have to deal with Mythic PCs unless you want to, but you can always use Mythic rules against your players...

Paizo Employee Developer

Callum wrote:
I wonder of the tomb giant will be related to the raam that appeared in the Age of Worms adventure path?

They are not related, but there are a few shared themes. I had completely forgotten about that Greg Vaughan creation, and had to go pull that issue to refresh my memory.

Grand Lodge RPG Superstar 2014 Top 4, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32

I've got a few monsters coming up in volumes 2, 4, and 6. Needless to say, I'm very excited that very soon I'll get to see them in print. :)


Kvantum wrote:
Valantrix1 wrote:
I really hope you create a feat in the upcoming AP to fix a giants horrible aim with rocks. I really miss Brutal Throw. I use it in my home games, but I'd love the Pathfinder treatment to it.

Pick up Legendary Games' Mythic Monsters - Giants. It's got a great little section on variant rules to beef up PfRPG giants so they aren't quite what your players might be expecting, including a rule for hurling boulders into a given square as attacks vs. AC 5, rather than as regular ranged attacks,which most giants suck at.

Seriously, for a (sub)type of monsters that every player has seen or fought against time and again like good old giants, a bit of Mythic can be the thing that makes you think twice about them just being old and boring. You never have to deal with Mythic PCs unless you want to, but you can always use Mythic rules against your players...

Hmm... I have everything that LG has ever produced, but I completely forgot about those little gems. Thanks for the reminder though! *insert evil chuckle here*

Grand Lodge

j b 200 wrote:
increddibelly wrote:

We already earned the Giantslayer achievement in RotR4. So much loot, none of it useful to the players.

I really don't see the fun in this AP.
I do believe JJ mentioned on his thread that there will be a mechanism for resizing large items for Medium/small creatures. There was a similar issue in WotR (crusaders can't use all the unholy weapons they loot) and the work around is fairly elegant.

This trait:

Quote:

Giant-Blooded:

Your family has always been dogged by rumors that a bit of giant blood got into the family's veins at some point. Whether this was through alchemical or magical experimentation, or because your great-great-grandfather married a giant, it has made you big for your race, and may have given you other minor cosmetic features of giants, such as flaming red hair, a bluish tinge to your skin, or oversized hands. When you wield a weapon that is larger than your size, the penalty on attack rolls for using inappropriately sized weapons is reduced by half. In addition, you gain a +2 trait bonus to your CMD against awesome blow combat maneuvers. If you're a dwarf, your stability racial trait applies to awesome blow combat maneuvers as well.

Or the Massive Weapon feature of the Titan Mauler Barbarian Archetype or the Giant Weapon Wielder of the Titan Fight Archetype

Should also help make the loot less marginalized.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I can't wait to see the stats for the Mongrel and Tomb giants. I am also happy that we will finally get a new Gigas.

Liberty's Edge

So many cool APs; so little time.


I am so getting this. Really looking forward to seeing what minis they base of this too.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Any idea when the player's guide will be released?

Dark Archive

I'm hoping with this AP that we see the return of the monkey grip feat or something better or at least a magic pair of gauntlets that resizes weapons when you grip them. But at keast there's he Gorum's magic powder from Inner Sea Gods to help with shrinking items.

Paizo Employee Developer

Elrawien Lantherion wrote:
Any idea when the player's guide will be released?

SOON!

The Exchange

The art is fantastic, it really gives the giants a monstrous look. I think I'm about as excited about the concept of "big humanoids" as I can be for this AP - though, admittedly, that's not *very* excited. I never quite understood what people find awesome about giants. However, this art really helps me to at least get some grasp on the idea, I think.


Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Adam Daigle wrote:
Elrawien Lantherion wrote:
Any idea when the player's guide will be released?
SOON!

like this week soon?

Paizo Employee Developer

2 people marked this as a favorite.

That's what I'm aiming for.


I hope this will be a bit like the old giant series, back in the day. Looking foreward to it.


Lord Snow wrote:
The art is fantastic, it really gives the giants a monstrous look. I think I'm about as excited about the concept of "big humanoids" as I can be for this AP - though, admittedly, that's not *very* excited. I never quite understood what people find awesome about giants. However, this art really helps me to at least get some grasp on the idea, I think.

I think for a few people, the excitement of giants comes from associating them with the amazing feats of mythological beings. The idea that the sky is held aloft by one massive creature, a mighty exhalation of breath being a hurricane wind, drinking an entire ocean, stomping the earth to create an earthquake. Admittedly these are not aspects that always feel represented by giants in Pathfinder and similar systems, but nevertheless that mental association brings excitement to battling and defeating such opponents with regular sized characters. My two cents.


Rune giant! I am officially pumped for this AP. Now, the big question is how many rune giants will be involved overall. A handful, a small family, a clan? Will these be the grand overlords or ate they themselves serving a higher power?


How soon is soon?


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

this week, thats Adam's plan at least:-)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Major_Blackhart wrote:
Rune giant! I am officially pumped for this AP. Now, the big question is how many rune giants will be involved overall. A handful, a small family, a clan? Will these be the grand overlords or ate they themselves serving a higher power?

From the DoEM (Department of Expectation Management)...

I'm pretty sure there are no rune giants in this AP. They're pretty deeply tied into Varisia and Thassilon, and Giantslayer is not set in Varisia and doesn't really have any Thassilon ties whatsoever. We WILL be illustrating at least one rune giant in the AP (as evidenced) but not as an illustration for one of the adventures.

Giantslayer is about something else other than rune giants and Thassilon, and that's on purpose, because we want to tell a different story than what we told in "Rise of the Runelords."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Elrawien Lantherion wrote:
How soon is soon?

When will then be now?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Evil Midnight Lurker wrote:
When will then be now?

This is now, now.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Cthulhudrew wrote:
Evil Midnight Lurker wrote:
When will then be now?
This is now, now.

*Bzzzt!* Incorrect! The proper response is "SOON." :D


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

How soon is now?


Tom Rex wrote:
Major_Blackhart wrote:
Rune giant! I am officially pumped for this AP. Now, the big question is how many rune giants will be involved overall. A handful, a small family, a clan? Will these be the grand overlords or ate they themselves serving a higher power?

From the DoEM (Department of Expectation Management)...

I'm pretty sure there are no rune giants in this AP. They're pretty deeply tied into Varisia and Thassilon, and Giantslayer is not set in Varisia and doesn't really have any Thassilon ties whatsoever. We WILL be illustrating at least one rune giant in the AP (as evidenced) but not as an illustration for one of the adventures.

Giantslayer is about something else other than rune giants and Thassilon, and that's on purpose, because we want to tell a different story than what we told in "Rise of the Runelords."

So what's the scoop on Giantslayer, then?


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Its about Giants, and those that slay them:-)


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Kajehase wrote:
Tom Rex wrote:
Major_Blackhart wrote:
Rune giant! I am officially pumped for this AP. Now, the big question is how many rune giants will be involved overall. A handful, a small family, a clan? Will these be the grand overlords or ate they themselves serving a higher power?

From the DoEM (Department of Expectation Management)...

I'm pretty sure there are no rune giants in this AP. They're pretty deeply tied into Varisia and Thassilon, and Giantslayer is not set in Varisia and doesn't really have any Thassilon ties whatsoever. We WILL be illustrating at least one rune giant in the AP (as evidenced) but not as an illustration for one of the adventures.

Giantslayer is about something else other than rune giants and Thassilon, and that's on purpose, because we want to tell a different story than what we told in "Rise of the Runelords."

So what's the scoop on Giantslayer, then?

The scoop is YOU ARE GOING TO LOVE IT!!!

Buy five copies!


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Starfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

It's Tuesday! I'm getting antsy in my pantsy for that Player's Guide. LOL


Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

There's going to be a Know Direction Podcast tonight 8:30 EST about Giantslayer, and I would be ecstatic to have the Players Guide on me to look over while Watching it!

Paizo Employee Developer

I hate to disappoint any eager folks, but the Player's Guide isn't going to be released today.

Soon, however. SOON!

(Also, thanks for mentioning the podcast!)


Two days left in the week. ;)

Silver Crusade

Adam, why do many of the giants pictured in the released art work look like big fat slobs. It seems to me that no art work for giants has an average body style? Not that I am against fat giants the Hill giant mini in the last set is one of my favorites. He looks like an over grown hill billy, like what I have always pictured hill giants looking. The only improvement that I could have though of for that mini would be a large straw hat.

Do Fire giants use giant sized bows and crossbows?

Why are disparate groups of giants working together? Normally the are competitors with one another aren’t they?

1 to 50 of 73 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder Adventure Path / Giantslayer / Paizo Blog: The Giants Are Coming! All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.