Meet the Iconics: Shardra Geltl

Thursday, July 31, 2014

Today we introduce the next of the new iconic characters from the Advanced Class Guide: Shardra the shaman. Shardra will also be a playable character in the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Wrath of the Righteous set due for release in February 2015.


Illustration by Wayne Reynolds

It's a sorry lot for a proud dwarven daughter to be raised a miserable dwarven son, but everyone receives one lot in life, and Shardra Geltl never knew to expect better. Childhood was kind, her sisters loved her, her brother protected her, and always she had the whispers of tools and books to keep her company. Adolescence, though, came bearing heavy burdens. Her siblings moved on with their own lives, replaced by harsh teachers and taskmasters. She weathered a staggeringly awkward first kiss as her childhood best friend grew into a handsome lad, followed by a painful arranged engagement to a lovely girl from the neighboring Dechl clan. But the mines and refinery of Xolgrit fed the war machine of Rolgrimmdur far above, and militant efficiency demanded all citizen-soldiers accept and excel in their roles, no matter how miserable.

But Shardra still had the whispers to keep her company on lonely nights.

Books quipped bits and pieces of their tales, bowls jabbered gossip shared over breakfast, and picks stammered the poems of the rocks they clove. And while the odds and ends of Xolgrit kept her company, the stones of the Old Road, carved long ago by dwarves still hunting for the sky, sang legends. More and more often, the shy dwarf slipped away to wander the crumbling paths, learning the deeds of her ancestors away from the clamor of duty and expectation. She assumed the whispers were her friends, there to keep her safe and offer respite from the dull ache of life. Then one "trustworthy" stone crumbled beneath her feet, dropping her into darkness.

The fall was short. Her arm met stone with a wet crunch, but the ache from the shattered bone faded away as the whispers rose in deafening song. All around stretched an ancient cavern. Hot springs bubbled across its floor, while mosaics and beaten gold masks decorated the walls. Mundane beasts and fantastic creatures wandered past, unperturbed by her presence.

A single tuatara waddled forward as she cradled her limb. It borrowed a tongue from the whispers and spoke. "What are you?"

"I—" She opened her mouth to speak, borrowing too from those old, quiet chants. And although the whispers had a word for all things in creation, they had no words for the expectations of others. "I don't know."

From that day on, the whispers poured themselves through Shardra's reptilian friend, speaking louder and more clearly with a mouth to form the words. She soon named the creature Kolo—an old dwarven word for the beauty in everyday things—and told Kolo of Xolgrit and Rolgrimmdur, and of the beauty of the stars in the night sky, and how to tell past and present and future apart. And Kolo taught her how to speak to spirits and borrow their favor to mend her broken bones, and of dwarven faith from long before they mingled their worship with the deities of the surface world. It taught her how to glean deeper secrets from the artifacts of the dead, and how to greet the Ladies of Crag and Ember—powerful elementals who laid claim to the hot springs and the surrounding tunnels. Most precious of all, Kolo taught her of the rivethun—dwarves who drew great power by embracing the disjunction between their bodies and souls—and she learned to brew the alchemical tinctures her past sisters used to quiet the rages of adolescence and bring their minds and bodies into harmony.

As Shardra's mystical skills and budding femininity began to show, her parents lamented their loss of a son and the addition of yet another dowry. Their irritation changed to joy as their daughter's dealings with the spirit world guided Xolgrit's miners to rich new veins of ore and long-lost treasure troves. The Geltl clan's fortunes reversed as Shardra's confidence, skills, and womanhood blossomed, and eventually clans from Xolgrit and beyond offered handsome brideprices.

Shardra's gifts attracted more than suitors, however. Lonely spirits and treasure hunters alike came to Xolgrit hoping to profit by the young shaman's insight. Neither settled peacefully into the community's rigid order. The string of lootings, possessions, drunken brawls, hauntings, and soured beer drew the attention of Rolgrimmdur, and the city-state dispatched a squad of soldiers—under the command of Captain Itcel Dechl—to put down the ragtag mercenary gangs squatting in town. Shardra herself turned her magic on its source, driving the spirit invaders back to the hot spring and demanding the Ladies of Crag and Ember keep their subjects under control.

Unsatisfied by her easy victory over a band of drunken thugs and grave robbers, Captain Dechl and her soldiers traced Shardra's path through the Old Roads, and eventually claimed the sacred shrine (and the wealth covering its walls) as a cultural treasure for Rolgrimmdur. The elemental Ladies raged at the presumption, swearing in turn to reduce Xolgrit to rubble. Both sides declared the dwarf maiden a traitor and cast her aside as they charged into battle. Shardra lashed out, seizing control of an earth elemental and using its might to collapse the ancient shrine.

With nothing left to fight over, the opposing armies fled.

Lacking any evidence of Shardra's actions but burning with frustration, Dechl used what remained of her authority to accuse the spirit-talker of heresy. Although friends and family staunchly defended her innocence, Shardra took the allegations as a chance to act on plans that had grown increasingly tempting. She left Xolgrit and her tutors, childhood friends, and family by paths only the stones remembered. Shardra reached the surface a guarded but curious woman, more interested in stories of the long dead than the bickering of the living. With Kolo the crag tuatara at her shoulder, Shardra now wanders the world, uncovering lost treasure and listening to the tales it has to tell. Permanent ties still chafe, even ones as shallow as a favor owed or an unpaid tavern bill, but her heart softens toward any who wander. Despite her love of the world's vast mysteries, a small part of the shaman yearns for the joy and companionship she once felt with her sisters, and Shardra corresponds with her family often, ever watchful for any discovery that might provide an excuse to write or visit her distant, glittering home.

Crystal Frasier
Contributor

More Paizo Blog.
Tags: Iconics Meet the Iconics Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Shaman Wayne Reynolds
351 to 400 of 802 << first < prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | next > last >>
Silver Crusade RPG Superstar Season 9 Top 32

And just because there are suddenly predatory housecats on the loose, that doesn't mean the kakapo won't try to mate with them.

Am I allowed to re-flavor the dodo familiar as a kakapo?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
mechaPoet wrote:
TanithT wrote:
Tuatara stuff

Dear New Zealand,

Look, I realize you were super isolated for, what, millions of years? But did you just not have predators? It just seems like you have produced a lot of animals that are, to be frank, not very smart. I mean, I guess it works when there's no reason to be smart, but still.

Love, mechaPoet.

P.S. I am very much looking forward to the kakapo familiar option. Don't fail me on this, Paizo. It will break my heart if you do.

And that would be why they are currently endangered. In a word, commensals. Specifically, rats that came ashore with sailors. If it were not for captive propagation and active protection by conservationists, they would be extinct through most of their range. As it is, they're just seriously endangered.

By some biological measures this species basically is extinct in the wild, eg, it's surviving right now primarily through captive propagation and re-introduction. Fortunately zoos have figured out how to reproduce them pretty handily, which definitely wasn't the case earlier on.

One of my very first zoo intern assignments involved a small group of them, back when they were still experimenting with temperature fluctuations and light cycle shifting to get them breeding in captivity and not having terribly good luck. They really are ridiculously cute, with stubby little faces and mildly grumpy fixed expressions.

RPG Superstar 2008 Top 32

5 people marked this as a favorite.

Kakapo are awesome. They totally walk like tiny little dinosaurs. "Imma T-Rex! Rawr!"

And then there's the Kea, which is what happens when evolution decides to make a scary parrot. (It's still not that scary.)

Liberty's Edge Contributor

2 people marked this as a favorite.
mechaPoet wrote:
TanithT wrote:
Tuatara stuff

Dear New Zealand,

Look, I realize you were super isolated for, what, millions of years? But did you just not have predators? It just seems like you have produced a lot of animals that are, to be frank, not very smart. I mean, I guess it works when there's no reason to be smart, but still.

Love, mechaPoet.

P.S. I am very much looking forward to the kakapo familiar option. Don't fail me on this, Paizo. It will break my heart if you do.

New Zealand did in fact have an apex predator. It was a freaking dinosaur.

Contributor

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Reckless wrote:
Tangentially: Does this mean that the reincarnation spell should get the [evil] descriptor, or at least the [curse] descriptor?

It's karma. Reincarnation doesn't give you the body you want, it gives you the body you deserve.

Paizo Employee Developer

4 people marked this as a favorite.
jimibones83 wrote:
I find it strange to focus so much on sexuality in this kind of roleplaying game. It seems to happen a lot with paizo though lol. Captain K's list was quite entertaining at least:)

In general, we only focus on sexuality when it matters to the stories we're telling. There's no section of a statblock where such has to be defined, so if it doesn't matter to the story that the shopkeeper is a cis-woman married to a trans-man or bisexual, or asexual, we don't mention it.

I can see how efforts to provide in-world representations of people of all sorts (real-world people who we want to feel have a place within our setting and our game) could be seen as a focus on sexuality, but not addressing the presence of non-heterosexual inhabitants of Golarion simply reinforces the cultural assumption that people are straight unless otherwise noted.

We've established in enough cases that there are lots of people who aren't straight that when we don't mention it at all (like when it's completely irrelevant to the character's role in the story being told), it's really up to the reader or GM which way they swing should such a question even come up, (which, as you note, isn't likely in an adventure-heavy game like Pathfinder, though every group is different).

Captain K's list is the perfect example of a fan taking what we've given them about characters and extrapolating histories and personalities for them that fit a particular vision. Leaving such creative additions to the game (and to the characters within it) up to the players is our job; it wouldn't be much fun to play the game if we spelled every single detail out for everyone and didn't leave any room to tell one's own story.


Crystal Frasier wrote:


And unlike Annevia from WotR, Shardra's tinctures aren't a magical cure that immediately fix everything. They simply set her body on the right track to grow and develop like most other women.

Without more specific information, I'm forced to make some assumptions here, but please bear with me.

What I'm getting from your words is that Shardra's tinctures make her body woman-like, but not actually female. In other words, she has male genitalia and would be unable to bear children, etc.

I guess I'm wondering why she wouldn't just invest in or create a "cursed" item like the old girdle of masculinity/femininity (which she wouldn't consider to be cursed at all, of course)?

This is the world of Pathfinder, and if a human is born in a goblin body there are magical means he can use to become human.

I guess it works so long as Shardra is low enough level that she wouldn't be able to afford such magic, but at high levels, assuming the resources available to a high level character... Her being stuck in a body with male genitalia requires a certain suspension of disbelief.


4 people marked this as a favorite.

YAY FOR PROGRESS!!!!
Just as soon as Iomedae gets this whole World Wound Situation sorted out, i think i know another world that could use some Human rights Justice, as long as she leaves the loud as S!+* Angelic Choirs at home, they have enough noise there!

Great Job Crystal!


Crystal Frasier wrote:
mechaPoet wrote:
TanithT wrote:
Tuatara stuff

Dear New Zealand,

Look, I realize you were super isolated for, what, millions of years? But did you just not have predators? It just seems like you have produced a lot of animals that are, to be frank, not very smart. I mean, I guess it works when there's no reason to be smart, but still.

Love, mechaPoet.

P.S. I am very much looking forward to the kakapo familiar option. Don't fail me on this, Paizo. It will break my heart if you do.

New Zealand did in fact have an apex predator. It was a freaking dinosaur.

I could probably just use an Axebeak for it but... can we have one of those as an Animal Companion? Please? I promise to teach it about time and cause and effect and eating people.


David Schwartz wrote:
Reckless wrote:
Tangentially: Does this mean that the reincarnation spell should get the [evil] descriptor, or at least the [curse] descriptor?
It's karma. Reincarnation doesn't give you the body you want, it gives you the body you deserve.

Actually, it's a random roll, not based on any sort of merit. So no, you're wrong, and Reckless has an excellent point.

Likewise, Baleful Polymorph (furries or whatever the PC term for them is aside) -- permanently locking someone into a body of the wrong species (let alone gender) would seem to be pretty evil.

RPG Superstar 2008 Top 32

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Crystal Frasier wrote:
mechaPoet wrote:
TanithT wrote:
Tuatara stuff

Dear New Zealand,

Look, I realize you were super isolated for, what, millions of years? But did you just not have predators? It just seems like you have produced a lot of animals that are, to be frank, not very smart. I mean, I guess it works when there's no reason to be smart, but still.

Love, mechaPoet.

P.S. I am very much looking forward to the kakapo familiar option. Don't fail me on this, Paizo. It will break my heart if you do.

New Zealand did in fact have an apex predator. It was a freaking dinosaur.

A freaking dinosaur that was hunted into extinction for tasting good (by Maori, not Europeans.) Apparently the only thing more dangerous than being a foe of humanity is being the dinner of humanity.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Crystal Frasier wrote:


New Zealand did in fact have an apex predator. It was a freaking dinosaur.

Now consider that New Zealand also had a giant eagle (the Haast's Eagle) that used to HUNT those things! Yikes!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Ross Byers wrote:
Crystal Frasier wrote:
mechaPoet wrote:
TanithT wrote:
Tuatara stuff

Dear New Zealand,

Look, I realize you were super isolated for, what, millions of years? But did you just not have predators? It just seems like you have produced a lot of animals that are, to be frank, not very smart. I mean, I guess it works when there's no reason to be smart, but still.

Love, mechaPoet.

P.S. I am very much looking forward to the kakapo familiar option. Don't fail me on this, Paizo. It will break my heart if you do.

New Zealand did in fact have an apex predator. It was a freaking dinosaur.
A freaking dinosaur that was hunted into extinction for tasting good (by Maori, not Europeans.) Apparently the only thing more dangerous than being a foe of humanity is being the dinner of humanity.

great now i'm hungry for Lizard! and we Just replaced the last Iguana:)

RPG Superstar 2008 Top 32

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Werebat wrote:
In other words, she has male genitalia and would be unable to bear children, etc.

Maybe she does, maybe she doesn't. That's between her and the spirits.

And maybe you're right that at higher level, she'd invest in an elixer like Anevia did, or track down a girdle of opposite gender. Or just cast alter self a lot. But maybe, since her power as shaman is related to being rivethun, using such magic would strip her of her magical power.

I'm reminded of a line in The Magic Goes Away about a magician named Clubfoot who, as you might guess, had a clubfoot. He had powerful enough magic to fix it. But doing so would have cost him a large fraction of his power.


Just realized the giant bird was a Moa, the same is used as an acronym for firearm accuracy. Thinking of your shots being within 3-4 Moa of what you meant to shoot is funny stuff, thats what you get for dual wielding one handed weapons and firing both barrels :P


Ross Byers wrote:

But maybe, since her power as shaman is related to being rivethun, using such magic would strip her of her magical power.

Soooo, having magical powers would be more important to her than being in a body of the right gender?

Even if this were true, surely she could fashion something that could be taken on and off (for when she needed magic or just wanted to feel more comfortable)?

The Exchange

Werebat wrote:
Ross Byers wrote:

But maybe, since her power as shaman is related to being rivethun, using such magic would strip her of her magical power.

Soooo, having magical powers would be more important to her than being in a body of the right gender?

Even if this were true, surely she could fashion something that could be taken on and off (for when she needed magic or just wanted to feel more comfortable)?

Think of it more as a connection to the spirits than "just" power. losing that connection even a bit might hurt as much or more than the gender thing

Silver Crusade RPG Superstar Season 9 Top 32

5 people marked this as a favorite.
Werebat wrote:
Ross Byers wrote:

But maybe, since her power as shaman is related to being rivethun, using such magic would strip her of her magical power.

Soooo, having magical powers would be more important to her than being in a body of the right gender?

Even if this were true, surely she could fashion something that could be taken on and off (for when she needed magic or just wanted to feel more comfortable)?

It sounds like she's in a pretty good place right now, as far as feeling like she's in the right body.

She's a rivethun and a woman. Her ability to reproduce or not doesn't really have anything to do with that. It's not like someone stops being whatever gender they are just because they're infertile.

RPG Superstar 2008 Top 32

15 people marked this as a favorite.

She doesn't grow a beard. She has breasts and hips. Her family recognizes her as female. If she's reached a point where she is comfortable in her own skin, why exactly do genitals matter? That's only relevant to her and whoever she is considering taking to bed.

It's her body.


Cool RP wise but that has consequences, if all someone has to do is get that darned girdle on a shaman and they lose all their power or any gender twisting polymorph effect... could it not be she is just comfortable with who she is at this time and may adjust things if she wishes when she is ready and the means are available?


Or maybe she has? Or will at some point during her career. It's not spelled out. In large part, it doesn't matter.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

Indeed. Each individual player gets to decide if that is part of her story or not.

Liberty's Edge Contributor

9 people marked this as a favorite.

Shardra's magic has nothing to do with chemistry or genitalia. Being a rivethun is a matter of life experience and learning to trust the self. No one particular aspect of transitioning gave her her spellcasting abilities and no specific bodily changes will suddenly revoke them, any more than it would stop her from being a dwarf.

For all practical purposes, Sharda deals with the physical world and the spiritual world as a woman. Whether or not she's found a magic belt or brewed a WotR-style elixir, it's probably pretty safe to describe her female.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, Pawns, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber
Torbyne wrote:


I could probably just use an Axebeak for it but... can we have one of those as an Animal Companion? Please? I promise to teach it about time and cause and effect and eating people.

Stats for Haast's Eagle and the Moa as Animal Companions—as well as the Weta as a familiar—can be found in Appendix 1 of Razor Coast: Freebooter's Guide.

My half-Kiwi blood approves these ideas. ;)

Now let's get the Kea as a familiar...


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Lem the Halfling wrote:
Also, welcome to the gang Shardra. Want to go rescue some slaves from the claws of the Thrunies?

Thank you, Lem. It is a pleasure to be held among such peers.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Does anyone know where i can get her number....
Never mind, we'll meet eventually.


9 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, Pawns, Rulebook Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

With all the compliments, I felt any comments from me were unnecessary. But upon thinking about the entry again, I have to say how impressed I was with how Crystal managed to convey what was happening from a trans perspective.

As a cis-gendered male I was very confused until about half-way through. When it finally dawned on me what was being described I found myself looking at a life from a trans-gendered person's perspective. That is a level of exceptional skill that any of us who write even casually would dearly love to be able to reach.

Absolutely fantastic work, Crystal! You should be very proud! :D

Silver Crusade Assistant Software Developer

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Feros wrote:
Now let's get the Kea as a familiar...

Bonus to disable device?

Liberty's Edge Contributor

5 people marked this as a favorite.
Feros wrote:

With all the compliments, I felt any comments from me were unnecessary. But upon thinking about the entry again, I have to say how impressed I was with how Crystal managed to convey what was happening from a trans perspective.

As a cis-gendered male I was very confused until about half-way through. When it finally dawned on me what was being described I found myself looking at a life from a trans-gendered person's perspective. That is a level of exceptional skill that any of us who write even casually would dearly love to be able to reach.

Absolutely fantastic work, Crystal! You should be very proud! :D

Thank you, Feros. That's deeply touching and hugely flattering. I know communicating outsider perspectives in a way that reads well is challenging; I've certainly struggled to explain the experience before in the past. I'm glad I could write it in a way that's furthering mutual understanding.

RPG Superstar 2008 Top 32

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Attack bonus vs. sheep


Charm Person 1/Day?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Ross Byers wrote:
Attack bonus vs. sheep

Or vs. vehicles.

Edit: I guess Lissa's idea would work for that photo as well.

Silver Crusade Assistant Software Developer

4 people marked this as a favorite.

I think disable device covers vehicles. It was meant to anyway. ^_^


Ross Byers wrote:

She doesn't grow a beard. She has breasts and hips. Her family recognizes her as female. If she's reached a point where she is comfortable in her own skin, why exactly do genitals matter? That's only relevant to her and whoever she is considering taking to bed.

It's her body.

What you're saying only makes sense if she doesn't want "the whole package", as it were.

Which could be the case, but I wonder (I really have no idea) how many TG (women in the bodies of men) would be happy without "the whole package" if they knew it were a viable option that was within their reach. Maybe some?

Shadow Lodge

Werebat wrote:
What you're saying only makes sense if she doesn't want "the whole package", as it were.

Maybe she doesn't. Maybe she hasn't taken that step yet. Maybe she hasn't researched it properly yet. Maybe the stars aren't right.


10 people marked this as a favorite.

Maybe she likes her body the way it is, and no body else needs to worry about it?


Crystal Frasier wrote:

Shardra's magic has nothing to do with chemistry or genitalia. Being a rivethun is a matter of life experience and learning to trust the self. No one particular aspect of transitioning gave her her spellcasting abilities and no specific bodily changes will suddenly revoke them, any more than it would stop her from being a dwarf.

For all practical purposes, Sharda deals with the physical world and the spiritual world as a woman. Whether or not she's found a magic belt or brewed a WotR-style elixir, it's probably pretty safe to describe her female.

I guess what I'm trying to wrap my mind around, Crystal, is why Shardra would NOT devote the resources required to get her hands on a belt, elixir, etc. that would make her body completely female.

I'm not TG, and I only (barely) know ONE TG person that I am aware of. I understand that some FtM TG people (like the one I know) hesitate on bottom surgery for a variety of reasons, but from what I have learned they don't hesitate because they wouldn't like to go "all the way" so much as because the current level of medicine can't offer what they really want, and/or is too risky.

My understanding is that MtF TG people have less issues with the surgery, for reasons that I probably don't have to explain.

Anyway -- is it true that some TG people would genuinely WANT to retain their birth genitalia, if a reliable and attainable option existed that would give them a fully functioning swap?

I honestly don't know. Do you?


Also -- completely unrelated, sorry, but I figure someone here must know -- what does "cis-male" mean?

I had thought it meant a person who self-identified as male and had a male body, but my friend (who happens to be gay) told me that it means a MtF TG person who hasn't undergone surgery yet.

Which of us is right? Or are neither of us right? I've never heard the term before reading it here.

RPG Superstar 2008 Top 32

1 person marked this as a favorite.

To quote Office Space, "Why should I change? He's the one who sucks."

Liberty's Edge

Werebat wrote:

Also -- completely unrelated, sorry, but I figure someone here must know -- what does "cis-male" mean?

I had thought it meant a person who self-identified as male and had a male body, but my friend (who happens to be gay) told me that it means a MtF TG person who hasn't undergone surgery yet.

Which of us is right? Or are neither of us right? I've never heard the term before reading it here.

You are correct, your friend is wrong.

Webstore Gninja Minion

13 people marked this as a favorite.
Werebat wrote:

I guess what I'm trying to wrap my mind around, Crystal, is why Shardra would NOT devote the resources required to get her hands on a belt, elixir, etc. that would make her body completely female.

I'm not TG, and I only (barely) know ONE TG person that I am aware of. I understand that some FtM TG people (like the one I know) hesitate on bottom surgery for a variety of reasons, but from what I have learned they don't hesitate because they wouldn't like to go "all the way" so much as because the current level of medicine can't offer what they really want, and/or is too risky.

My understanding is that MtF TG people have less issues with the surgery, for reasons that I probably don't have to explain.

Anyway -- is it true that some TG people would genuinely WANT to retain their birth genitalia, if a reliable and attainable option existed that would give them a fully functioning swap?

I honestly don't know. Do you?

I am not Crystal, but...maybe because no matter what sex you are, we all have features about ourselves that we would like to change, and some that we would like to keep. Maybe Shardra is perfectly happy with herself as she is. Maybe she's not. Maybe she doesn't want a cursed item. There isn't a blanket situation or statement to cover all possible variations of transfolk and how they feel about their bodies—it's a very individual journey, and I have yet to meet two that have the exact same mindset.

Gender is not a black and white, 0 to 100, either/or situation. But the closer we can get to our idealized self, the better off we are—and I think Shardra has found it. (May we all be so lucky.)

Silver Crusade Assistant Software Developer

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Liz Courts wrote:


I am not Crystal, but...maybe because no matter what sex you are, we all have features about ourselves that we would like to change, and some that we would like to keep. Maybe Shardra is perfectly happy with herself as she is. Maybe she's not. Maybe she doesn't want a cursed item. There isn't a blanket situation or statement to cover all possible variations of transfolk and how they feel about their bodies—it's a very individual journey, and I have yet to meet two that have the exact same mindset.

Gender is not a black and white, 0 to 100, either/or situation. But the closer we can get to our idealized self, the better off we are—and I think Shardra has found it. (May we all be so lucky.)

I think Liz really has the right of it here.


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Liz Courts wrote:
F. Wesley Schneider wrote:
Necromancer wrote:
Well, Hakon's still an option... Hakon alongside a tsundere Harsk would be fifteen types of amazing.

I'm glad I checked in on the slash-fiction* part of the discussion before bed. Glad to see everything's in order here.

** spoiler omitted **

DAMN IT PEOPLE, I HAVE TO WORK TODAY. Stop giving me fan service art ideas!

** spoiler omitted **

In fairness, I'm the one who coined the term. I bear some of the responsibility.

So where and when can we see some of this artwork?


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Werebat wrote:

Also -- completely unrelated, sorry, but I figure someone here must know -- what does "cis-male" mean?

I had thought it meant a person who self-identified as male and had a male body, but my friend (who happens to be gay) told me that it means a MtF TG person who hasn't undergone surgery yet.

Which of us is right? Or are neither of us right? I've never heard the term before reading it here.

If it helps make sense of things, keep in mind that "cis" is a Latin prefix that means the opposite of the Latin prefix "trans." So, a trans man, a cis man, a trans woman, a cis woman, transgender. cisgender.

Make sense?

Webstore Gninja Minion

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Evan Tarlton wrote:

In fairness, I'm the one who coined the term. I bear some of the responsibility.

So where and when can we see some of this artwork?

My old stuff is here (NSFW). Newer stuff is still in my sketchbooks... >.>


1 person marked this as a favorite.
KSF wrote:


If it helps make sense of things, keep in mind that "cis" is a Latin prefix that means the opposite of the Latin prefix "trans." So, a trans man, a cis man, a trans woman, a cis woman, transgender. cisgender.

Make sense?

That does help -- thanks.


Liz Courts wrote:
Evan Tarlton wrote:

In fairness, I'm the one who coined the term. I bear some of the responsibility.

So where and when can we see some of this artwork?

My old stuff is here (NSFW). Newer stuff is still in my sketchbooks... >.>

Does Reiko ever take that mask off?

It probably needs to be laundered.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Dark Psion wrote:

Does Reiko ever take that mask off?

It probably needs to be laundered.

Ugh. I am not an uncultured swine (like some iconics I could name). I have spares.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Werebat wrote:

I guess what I'm trying to wrap my mind around, Crystal, is why Shardra would NOT devote the resources required to get her hands on a belt, elixir, etc. that would make her body completely female.

I'm not TG, and I only (barely) know ONE TG person that I am aware of. I understand that some FtM TG people (like the one I know) hesitate on bottom surgery for a variety of reasons, but from what I have learned they don't hesitate because they wouldn't like to go "all the way" so much as because the current level of medicine can't offer what they really want, and/or is too risky.

My understanding is that MtF TG people have less issues with the surgery, for reasons that I probably don't have to explain.

Anyway -- is it true that some TG people would genuinely WANT to retain their birth genitalia, if a reliable and attainable option existed that would give them a fully functioning swap?

I honestly don't know. Do you?

Some trans people get surgery, some don't. Of those that don't, it may be because of the financial cost (which is steep). It may be because of dissatisfaction with the current state of the surgical procedure. It may be because they choose not to. It may be because they haven't gotten to it yet. It may be for other reasons. There are any number of reasons and any number of choices made by any number of trans people.

As Crystal said earlier in the thread:

Crystal Frasier wrote:
Shardra's appearance and figure are 100% home-grown, with no magic required. Any more specific information about her body is reserved for her, Kolo, and whoever she may spend a night with

As Kryzbyn says above, no one else need worry about it.

And +1 to what Liz said on the subject.

And I'll add to all of that, as a trans person who read Shardra's story, I never worried about what you're asking about, because that's ultimately not the point of her story, and more than it's the point of any trans person's story.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Robert Jordan wrote:
Yeah I think Discworld influenced why I read it the way I did and why I didn't get it.

Same here, but this is similar in a way (With Pratchett's openly female dwarves being a metaphor for the LGBT community)

351 to 400 of 802 << first < prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Paizo Products / Product Discussion / Paizo Blog: Meet the Iconics: Shardra Geltl All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.