New Options

Monday, July 14, 2014

The Year of the Sky Key, Season 6 of the Pathfinder Society Organized Play campaign, is approaching, and that means the new Guide to Pathfinder Society Organized Play is on its way. It's still a few weeks before we preview the new guide, but we can share a few new options available at the start of Season 6. In fact, there's something for players and something for GMs and organizers.

I imagine you've already spotted the art and guessed that expanded race access is one announcement—spot on. Just as non-standard race access is a hot topic on the messageboards, it's a common talking point during our meetings. It's tough to balance the lure of race boons for conventions against letting as many people as possible play the types of characters they want. Add to that the heated discussions about whether or not some non-standard races are overpowered and the concerns about the so-called "cantina effect." That's a lot to juggle when making a decision, but we decided that introducing a few new options would be best for the campaign. Beginning August 14th 2014 at Gen Con, three new races will be available for play without requiring a special Chronicle sheet: kitsune, nagaji, and wayang. These races have been in circulation through extra Chronicle sheets for nearly three years now, and even though some players have had an opportunity to create these characters, we want newer players to have new options to enjoy. Like other race options, it is still necessary that a player have a book or watermarked pdf reference for the race, such as from Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Dragon Empires Gazetteer, Pathfinder Player Companion: Dragon Empires Primer, Pathfinder RPG: Advanced Race Guide, or Pathfinder RPG Bestiary: Bestiary 4.


Illustration by Eva Widermann

So let's see... seven core races plus three Bestiary races plus three Dragon Empires races. That equals 13, right? Well, there's one piece missing from that equation. We're also removing two races.

For several years, aasimar and tieflings have enjoyed a prominent role in the Pathfinder Society, but as the organization concludes its work in Mendev—where numerous pit-born fight for recognition and heaven-blooded warriors wage holy war—it's time for them to step back. Beginning on August 14th, creating an aasimar or tiefling character will require a special Chronicle sheet, as was the case years ago. The exception is any aasimar or tielfing character with at least 1 XP; these characters are grandfathered into the campaign.

Does this mean you can create several new characters, play a scenario with each, and have several native outsiders waiting for when you need them? Well, we debated long and hard whether to require 4 XP per character, as at that point one is past the free rebuilding stage. However, we also recognized this as unnecessarily punitive to casual players who may only be able to play once or twice in the next month. To answer your question, yes, you can make 10 aasimars and play The Confirmation an equal number of times, but we're trusting you'll exercise some good taste and respect a decision made with the larger community in mind.

Now that we've covered the more controversial news, let's wrap things up with something outright awesome.

We (both Mike and John) both have experience as venture-officers and event coordinators, and we understand that sometimes it's tough to convince a new player to commit to a full 4-5 hour experience. Some events just are not conducive to running a full game, whether that's because it's a weeknight with lots of folks who need to get to bed early or because the location is only open for a few hours. What do you do when a scenario just isn't short enough?

For years the answer has been quests, one-hour mini-adventures intended to last an hour or less. They're great little adventures, but they're a little difficult to schedule for a few reasons. First, there's no easy way to tell a bigger story by connecting a few quests together. Second, the quests—though replayable—offer no gold, XP, or Prestige Points, giving them a reputation of risk for little reward. The most difficult hurdle is that there are only two of them in print (not counting the Goblin Attack demos or Beginner's Box Bash demos).

This year at Gen Con, we're debuting six new 1st-level Pathfinder Quests that take place in and around the River Kingdoms. Each one is a standalone adventure, but they are all loosely tied into a common plot thread, allowing a GM to combine anywhere from two to all six to make a larger adventure as suits the needs of the group and event location. Play them in any order—one can even play the finale quest early—and earn a Chronicle sheet with rewards that scale based on the number of adventures you played.

John Compton and Mike Brock
Developer and Global Organized Play Coordinator

More Paizo Blog.
Tags: Eva Widermann Pathfinder Society
301 to 350 of 853 << first < prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | next > last >>

Fromper wrote:

I can agree with Lekku that any PbP that started in time should count as grandfathered in, not just by the finish date, though that's not the rule as it was announced.

  Also, I'd say anyone with 1 xp before August 14 would seem to be grandfathered in, even if you rebuild after that date. So someone who played their first PFS game as a human fighter back in 2011, and doesn't play their second PFS game until 2015, would be allowed to rebuild into an aasimar warpriest in 2015, assuming 1st level rebuild rules don't change by then. After all, they had 1 xp on August 13, 2014, so they're grandfathered in.

I appreciate the support, Fromper. On your second point: I don't think that's what they have in mind. "The exception is any aasimar or tielfing character with at least 1 XP" seems to indicate that you have to be one of those races, and have 1xp. At least that seems to be the intent, but since a lot of the discussion here seems to be praise or criticism of said intent, I think your point is valid - but I wouldn't 'bet the farm on it,' as they say.

DrakeRoberts wrote:
I'm not really sure how the PbP would work... but since characters in PbPs are locked while playing, it probably wouldn't be a stretch of the rules to date the chronicle sheet from the PbP with the start date as opposed to the end date. I'm not sure if there's a rule on that or not.

I'd be curious to see some official feedback on that, as well.

***** Venture-Captain, Nebraska—Omaha aka downerbeautiful

Kyle Baird wrote:
Rachel Hill wrote:
Are we really going with the honor system?
The first chronicle applied has to be before August 14th, 2014. Beyond that, it's the honor system.

Eh, good to know. I mean, I'd sooner go through Junior High again than build an aasimar, but I'm sure inquiring minds thought similar things.

Shadow Lodge ***** Venture-Lieutenant, North Carolina—Asheville aka mogmismo

I'm very excited about the short quests. When our local group is part of a larger convention (perhaps a few tables at a comic convention, for instance) we have a lot of interest from passerby's, but when I tell them that the next session starts in 2 hours and runs for 4-5 hours, they never come back to play.

Here's hoping we can schedule a whole block of the quests at a table, and be able to say to passerby's, "Hey, looks like they are just wrapping up on quest 2, why don' t you play this Pregen for quest 3, and see how you like it?"

I think it would really help us out at getting new players, at least in our area.

***** Venture-Lieutenant, Illinois—Chicago aka thunderspirit

Rachel Hill wrote:
Kyle Baird wrote:
Rachel Hill wrote:
Are we really going with the honor system?
The first chronicle applied has to be before August 14th, 2014. Beyond that, it's the honor system.
Eh, good to know. I mean, I'd sooner go through Junior High again than build an aasimar, but I'm sure inquiring minds thought similar things.

I'd probably build the aasimar instead myself. But your point is otherwise taken. ;-)

Liberty's Edge *****

I would go to Junior High as an aasimar.

****

rknop wrote:
I would go to Junior High as an aasimar.

Well in the PFS system this would be absolutely terrible, as you'd spend YEARS there, despite what Blood Of Angels has to say, the ARG says you stay forever as an adolescent.

***

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Fromper wrote:
Is anyone really upset about the removal of these races? I know I'm surprised Paizo did this, because I'd expect some players will be upset, but the response on this thread has been far more positive than negative.

Yes.

Just because someone is upset doesn't mean they want to violate Wheaton's Law on the Paizo forums, however. I can respect the folks who made the decision, without agreeing with it, even if it causes a chilling effect on my excitement for PFS. Personally, I feel part of that respect is trying to manage how I communicate that disagreement.

On a more positive note, I will say that I'm glad that folks who have been wanting to play the three unlocked races will have their chance and that I look forward to the the new Quests and their associated PFS mechanic.

-TimD

Grand Lodge ***** Venture-Captain, Arizona—Phoenix aka TriOmegaZero

Drogon wrote:
I think you know better, man.

No, apparently I don't. Because I still don't see people flinging their anger about around here.

Shadow Lodge **

They flung their keyboards into the monitor first.

***** ⦵⦵⦵

1 person marked this as a favorite.

people seem to be taking it rather well.

Probably haven't heard about it yet...

Sovereign Court ***

It's not that I'm upset that tiefling and aasimar are going away, it's more about the fact that I have zero desire to play any of the 3 new races.

It doesn't help that I started PFS a month ago. But I should at least get the opportunity to bank one or two of the little buggers.

***** ⦵⦵

I'm disappointed to be honest.

On a side note, I also find it a bit odd to say its about the Cantina effect when you take away two mostly human races and replace them with a talking fox, a snake man and a shadow puppet from asian mythology.

Two vaguely passable for three furries.

****

TriOmegaZero wrote:
Drogon wrote:
I think you know better, man.
No, apparently I don't. Because I still don't see people flinging their anger about around here.
Conman the Bardbarian wrote:
They flung their keyboards into the monitor first.

Heh heh, possibly.

Here's my take on why I'm disappointed about having tiefling and aasimar go from a thematic perspective. From Japan, we have oni (demons) and kami (gods). China has their own words for such things, emo (demons) and shen (gods). If Tian Xia is a loose approximation of Asian history and culture as a whole, doesn't it take away from that authenticity by not having the possibility that such beings interacted with mortals?

Both Chinese and Japanese cultures have plethora of references, stories, and literature of such events occurring even throughout modern times. While I enjoy the inclusion of the new races, which fit thematically, it just doesn't present the whole picture for me.

Nonetheless I shall enjoy trying to make an Ahri clone as best as I can. I also need to scramble to remake an old character of mine from 3.0 while I still have the chance.

Scarab Sages *****

I am not disappointed at all. I like the variety that pathfinder offers and this change shows that those who are in charge recognize that we get tired of the four aasimar and a tie fling walk into a bar scenario. Maybe we will see a little more race variety at the table.

*

I don't play pfs anymore so I don't really know if it matters, but I'm curious why they chose wayang kitsune and nagaji. I would have thought they would go with something people would eat up like goblin or kobold (although kobolds would need a change to their godawful stat array and light sensitivity). Those would be super popular.

Or orcs. Orcs and hobgoblins are cool but never get any love.

Grand Lodge ***** Venture-Captain, Arizona—Phoenix aka TriOmegaZero

FanaticRat wrote:
I don't play pfs anymore so I don't really know if it matters, but I'm curious why they chose wayang kitsune and nagaji.

Mostly because those have been allowed and are considered to be Society acceptable in character.

Kobolds, orcs, and hobgoblins are not what they consider 'in theme' for the campaign.

***** ⦵⦵⦵

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Talon Stormwarden wrote:

It's not that I'm upset that tiefling and aasimar are going away, it's more about the fact that I have zero desire to play any of the 3 new races.

It doesn't help that I started PFS a month ago. But I should at least get the opportunity to bank one or two of the little buggers.

You've got a month, and the Pathfinder society online collective ought to have a "Tiefling Aasimar confirmation crazy congo line" set up soon if it doesn't already.

Shadow Lodge *****

1 person marked this as a favorite.
BigNorseWolf wrote:
You've got a month, and the Pathfinder society online collective ought to have a "Tiefling Aasimar confirmation crazy congo line" set up soon if it doesn't already.

Oh, it already does.

*

TriOmegaZero wrote:
FanaticRat wrote:
I don't play pfs anymore so I don't really know if it matters, but I'm curious why they chose wayang kitsune and nagaji.

Mostly because those have been allowed and are considered to be Society acceptable in character.

Kobolds, orcs, and hobgoblins are not what they consider 'in theme' for the campaign.

What exactly is the theme, though? Is it because they're usually evil? 'Cause they gave out goblin boons, and those guys are super miscreants.

Grand Lodge ***** Venture-Captain, Arizona—Phoenix aka TriOmegaZero

FanaticRat wrote:
What exactly is the theme, though? Is it because they're usually evil? 'Cause they gave out goblin boons, and those guys are super miscreants.

37 goblin boons, to be precise.

***** ⦵⦵⦵

there were ~ 46? goblin boons given out to the winners of a tournament at paizocon?,so they're VERY, very limited in number and in the hands of the most experienced players and organizers in PFS (and kyle baird) They weren't given out en masse like the other races.

***** Regional Venture-Coordinator, Northeast aka Shivok

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I think there are less fetchlings than goblins in PFS.

Sovereign Court ***** Owner - Enchanted Grounds, President/Owner - Enchanted Grounds

TriOmegaZero wrote:
Drogon wrote:
I think you know better, man.
No, apparently I don't. Because I still don't see people flinging their anger about around here.

You must have edited your post, as what I replied to was quite different than how it reads now. [Edit] You added the last line to your post. I saw the focus as completely different when it was first up.

But if you're not seeing people being irritated and asking for things to not change, then you have a pretty different "internet" filter than I.

Again, I'm sorry we disagree. I hope to not see it happen again.

Shadow Lodge *****

1 person marked this as a favorite.

You kind of have to have a different filter for the sites I frequent.

Scarab Sages *****

Dan Houser wrote:


As a GM, it's a bit aggravating to see leagues of players -- especially on these forums suggesting throwing away a stat to negative levels, and since there is no realistic penalty for it, you can guarantee a character will have at least one 19+ stat with NO actual loss in a place that matters.

Anyway, it's my one gripe. There is no solution that I can think of that would be feasible and fair across the board. Other than changing the rule that sets base stats...or have actual in-game effects for this kind of rules abuse.

Horrible charisma does not mean horrible interaction skills - when I have an 8 strength character I often put a point in climb to have a 10 on take 10, so i do so on low charisma characters (it depends on if it is a class skill or how many skill points I have). It sounds like you think that at low charisma character with ranks in social skills is somehow worse than a higher charisma untrained - and a low charisma doesn't have to be ugly characters, it can be ones without any presence - after all the truly hideous probably have a higher charisma because they can invoke fear better :)

I have a 5 charisma character with +19 diplomacy (thank you conversion inquisition) so that character is one of your dump characters you hate.

I am sad that aasimars and tieflings are going - honestly I think it is their non-humanoid natures that is getting them gone. To many GMs and authors are tired that their monster with Hold Person, or Dominate Person at will can often only affect one or two pathfinders because the others are not humanoids.

I am happy that there is a new small race (one without -2 strength as well), and that kitsune are open- I've wanted a many-tailed for a while.

*** Venture-Lieutenant, Louisiana—New Orleans aka Duncan7291

Its simple. Aasimar and Tieflings are overpowered compared to other races . That is the reason they are being booted. Why not just say, we made a mistake and shouldn't had released them for general play.

*

Pathfinder Card Game, Maps, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

I have mixed feelings about these changes, but believe they are the right changes for the campaign. Aasimar and Tieflings at the most basic level are strong races, but not excessively so. However, the cherry picking of stat bumps by using the "Blood of" line variants combined with early entry into PrCs by the recent FAQ rulings makes them a no-brainer for too many builds. I've got two Aasimar PCs at the moment, and while they could have reasonably been a human or a half-elf and a dwarf respectively, being Aasimar was just mechanically better.

I've got 3 characters currently at 3 or less XP. I will probably save my GM module credit from Crypt of the Everflame for an Aasimar using some Advanced Class Guide classes. (My first thought is a Swashbuckler/Warpriest of Desna; Starknives are *so* flavorful but I never see anyone use them; i'm hoping I can do something with those classes to make them work). A dwarf with 2 XP to his name will likely become a tiefling; my story vision with him was serving Cheliax as a loyal Isgari citizen, but with the faction realignment it doesn't really make sense and I'd like a Dark Archive PC. Finally, my gnome shaman... will stay a gnome shaman, for the glory of his (adopted) Kellid following.

Finally, I was lucky enough to earn a Nagaji boon and a Wayang boon at a convention almost exactly a year ago, so those two opening up was a bit of a bummer. Hopefully another boon that eats race boons will be written, though no idea what it would be. Those races seem a bit obscure for Favored Enemy, though. In any case, my plan for the Nagaji boon was a Dragon Disciple with my Dragon's Demand GM credit, and I expect my party to finish the module (in campaign mode) come the end of the month. Waiting another couple of weeks to not require the boon is not going to be a problem. :)

Grand Lodge ****

Duncan7291 wrote:
Its simple. Aasimar and Tieflings are overpowered compared to other races . That is the reason they are being booted. Why not just say, we made a mistake and shouldn't had released them for general play.

Generally I'd say that a mistake doesn't take 3 years to fix. But then I remember how long it took for Ultimate Combat to get errata...

***

Duncan7291 wrote:
Its simple. Aasimar and Tieflings are overpowered compared to other races . That is the reason they are being booted. Why not just say, we made a mistake and shouldn't had released them for general play.

I do not see it as a mistake, but more of a mix of letting things in.

I prefer the variety for the year of the demon it was a great theme allowing these things in.

Sovereign Court

Round where I am there are not too many Aasimar/TIeflings so their proliferation must be regional. However now I have a Tiefling and an Aasimar that should get 1XP before Aug 14th, I am ok with them going away. I like to have different races for my characters.

Now to look at interesting concepts for the new races.

Grand Lodge ****

Ellias Aubec wrote:

Round where I am there are not too many Aasimar/TIeflings so their proliferation must be regional. However now I have a Tiefling and an Aasimar that should get 1XP before Aug 14th, I am ok with them going away. I like to have different races for my characters.

Now to look at interesting concepts for the new races.

It's definitely regional. While there are quite a few Tieflings where I am, there are very few Aasimar. I think maybe four of them across our currently active playerbase.

*****

I play at a weekly table with only two characters (of six) that aren't tiefling or aasimar. It's actually a running joke that the outsiders mock the "mortals." I see this as a good change.

*** Venture-Lieutenant, Louisiana—New Orleans aka Duncan7291

I'm set, probably for the life of my PFS career in terms of aasimar/tieflings. I have 3 of each race under level 3 and have 1 of each race that are being held in reserve with GM credit. So that's a total of 8 tieflings and aasimars that I can play. I will admit that the min/maxing aspects of the race are nice. However, I really do like the fluff. My tiefling Cheliaxan raging barbarian alchemist who worships Lamashtu fits very well into my background and I will miss that aspect.

For the record, my level 2 drunken barbarian/5 alchemist is one ugly bugger (CHA 8). She was always shunned from Cheliaxan society as being a monster. She decided that if everyone thought of her as a monster then she might as well become one. She started by worshiping Lamashtu and dabbling in the alchemical arts to transform her body. Initially, she was unsuccessful and then she raged at society and fell deep in a bottle of alcohol. After sometime as a raging drunk (two levels to be exact), she refocused her energies on becoming the embodiment of the monstrosity Cheliaxan society has pegged her to be.

Now she is a beast in not only reputation but in form. She rages out against society but yet still cant escape the grasp of Cheliaxan society and serves the needs of that community. Always hopeful that she yet one day be worthy in this twisted empire's eyes.

*****

Duncan7291 wrote:

I'm set, probably for the life of my PFS career in terms of aasimar/tieflings. I have 3 of each race under level 3 and have 1 of each race that are being held in reserve with GM credit. So that's a total of 8 tieflings and aasimars that I can play. I will admit that the min/maxing aspects of the race are nice. However, I really do like the fluff. My tiefling Cheliaxan raging barbarian alchemist who worships Lamashtu fits very well into my background and I will miss that aspect.

For the record, my level 2 drunken barbarian/5 alchemist is one ugly bugger (CHA 8). She was always shunned from Cheliaxan society as being a monster. She decided that if everyone thought of her as a monster then she might as well become one. She started by worshiping Lamashtu and dabbling in the alchemical arts to transform her body. Initially, she was unsuccessful and then she raged at society and fell deep in a bottle of alcohol. After sometime as a raging drunk (two levels to be exact), she refocused her energies on becoming the embodiment of the monstrosity Cheliaxan society has pegged her to be.

Now she is a beast in not only reputation but in form. She rages out against society but yet still cant escape the grasp of Cheliaxan society and serves the needs of that community. Always hopeful that she yet one day be worthy in this twisted empire's eyes.

interesting. so, how did this character come to petition the Pathfinder Society for three years of training and a chance at becoming an agent? not baiting, btw, actually interested, as it doesn't seem that the tenets of "explore, report, cooperate" would appeal too terribly much to the character.

***

My barbarian rage chemist pesh addict. He went through PFS training as a brilliant alchemist student and was told to try new things. Ten years later he comes back from out of nowhere. the most he is now a slobish pesh addict with no self control.

*****

Jeff Merola wrote:
Duncan7291 wrote:
Its simple. Aasimar and Tieflings are overpowered compared to other races . That is the reason they are being booted. Why not just say, we made a mistake and shouldn't had released them for general play.
Generally I'd say that a mistake doesn't take 3 years to fix. But then I remember how long it took for Ultimate Combat to get errata...

Two years of them being allowed openly. And, yes, it can take that long to really see how they affect the campaign, especially with the additional rules elements that have been added since they were allowed into the campaign openly. All in all, it's a very timely solution given that the many of the issues that have really made them more and more unbalanced have occurred in the last year or so.

*** Venture-Lieutenant, Louisiana—New Orleans aka Duncan7291

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Pathfinder Society for this character is simply a means to prove herself. Cheliaxan society has little regard for tieflings while the Pathfinders were accepting of her. Not given the opportunity to prove her worth in her homeland, she has reached out to the only means of advancement for her, Pathfinders. She still views herself as a monster.

(I plan on slowly changing her attitude over the course of her PFS career and solely begin to accept herself and no longer view herself as a monster.)

EDIT: I also think the new direction of the Cheliax faction will work well with her storyline as both the faction and her grow and change into something more.

Grand Lodge ****

Matthew Starch wrote:
Jeff Merola wrote:
Duncan7291 wrote:
Its simple. Aasimar and Tieflings are overpowered compared to other races . That is the reason they are being booted. Why not just say, we made a mistake and shouldn't had released them for general play.
Generally I'd say that a mistake doesn't take 3 years to fix. But then I remember how long it took for Ultimate Combat to get errata...
Two years of them being allowed openly. And, yes, it can take that long to really see how they affect the campaign, especially with the additional rules elements that have been added since they were allowed into the campaign openly. All in all, it's a very timely solution given that the many of the issues that have really made them more and more unbalanced have occurred in the last year or so.

What was there other than the FAQ about early entry? Because the Blood of Angels and Blood of Fiends books were released at and before GenCon 2012, respectively.

*****

Jeff Merola wrote:
Matthew Starch wrote:
Jeff Merola wrote:
Duncan7291 wrote:
Its simple. Aasimar and Tieflings are overpowered compared to other races . That is the reason they are being booted. Why not just say, we made a mistake and shouldn't had released them for general play.
Generally I'd say that a mistake doesn't take 3 years to fix. But then I remember how long it took for Ultimate Combat to get errata...
Two years of them being allowed openly. And, yes, it can take that long to really see how they affect the campaign, especially with the additional rules elements that have been added since they were allowed into the campaign openly. All in all, it's a very timely solution given that the many of the issues that have really made them more and more unbalanced have occurred in the last year or so.
What was there other than the FAQ about early entry? Because the Blood of Angels and Blood of Fiends books were released at and before GenCon 2012, respectively.

the FAQ ruling was a big part that added even more imbalance. also options from Advanced Race Guide that took some time to show up as unbalancing.

regardless, two seasons is certainly a reasonable amount of time to realize the problems created by adding access to a rules element in a campaign of this time. [edit] and act on it.

Grand Lodge ****

Matthew Starch wrote:


the FAQ ruling was a big part that added even more imbalance. also options from Advanced Race Guide that took some time to show up as unbalancing.

regardless, two seasons is certainly a reasonable amount of time to realize the problems created by adding access to a rules element in a campaign of this time.

Right, right, the ARG was the thing I was forgetting. Thanks.

That said, I personally don't feel that the options were so unbalancing as to be called a mistake letting them in. And Early Entry generally took those PrCs from "poor choices" to "decently good choices." Except for Bloatmage. That didn't really need early entry at all.

But then again I'm not in one of the apparently many areas that was flooded with the things, and only one of my two tieflings was chosen for any mechanical reasons at all.

Liberty's Edge ***** Venture-Lieutenant, Alaska—Anchorage aka Dragnmoon

Here is my reaction to the news...

New Races: Never had any interest in them.

Tiefling and Aasimar being removed: Though I have more interest in those 2 races then the 3 being added the lose of them is no big deal to me since I mostly make Human PCs anyway.

On new "Quests": I am going to withhold judgement until I see the chronicle sheets. I always have problems running anything locally that does not give at least 2 PP and 1 exp, so if playing multiple of them does not do that then it will have very little play locally. They will however may be very useful at a future Convention I am going to Organize if they can be run in 1 hour slots since the Con only has 1 hour slots.

What I would love to hear though and would make me jump for joy is the same a Drogon, Paizo moving to 3 scenarios a month sooner or later needs to happen. The sooner the better.

Grand Lodge ***

I am personally excited to see all the new changes for the upcoming season! I am a GM (and store coordinator) and haven't had much of a chance to play any of my characters but I am quite happy to see these changes come down the pipeline. One of the resounding complaints that I have heard from new players is that PFS is too restrictive and confining. I think these new changes will make our MMO centric new players more excited to play (and possibly appeal to the "fairer" gender. The Kitsunes are adorable!)

I do have a question however, will we see new Pre-Gens come out that mixes in the new races and the new advanced classes come out any time in the near future?

Silver Crusade ****

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Dragnmoon wrote:
What I would love to hear though and would make me jump for joy is the same a Drogon, Paizo moving to 3 scenarios a month sooner or later needs to happen. The sooner the better.

Agreed.

Liberty's Edge ****

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Norowareta Nagagorjo wrote:
Lamontius wrote:
Norowareta Nagagorjo wrote:
Rasmarr wrote:
"Rasmarr is excited about fellow Nagaji joining Pathfinders. It might mean his people are finally throwing off bonds of slavery. They should join Rasmarr in Liberty's Edge to show other Nagaji that one who serves a master, even one as great as the Naga, is still a slave."

"I agree that liberty and freedom are noble causssesss, worthy of my sssword. Though I've jussst returned to Absssalom after my firssst visssit to Andoran sssincsse pledging my sssword to their caussse, and I wasss quite disssappointed to find corruption in their democratic government.

But to be able to return home to Nagajor, to live a sssimple life ssserving the Naga, will alwaysss be my greatessst wish."

If you play your character with that voice at the table, eventually the other players are going to toss you out for the 4,923,845,853 times you unintentionally spit on them during the session

"Thisss hasss never been a problem for me. My tongue may be forked, but I don't ssspit."

Sadly, Rasmarr cannot spit. I was captured for a second time by the Dark Naga, and in their cruelty, they removed my venom sac. But Rasmarr survived and Rasmarr is stronger because of it. I have spent many hours meditating on it. (retrained Spit Venom into Toughness)

***** ⦵⦵⦵

TOZ wrote:
You kind of have to have a different filter for the sites I frequent.

and a good antivirus program.

***** ⦵⦵⦵

Matthew Starch wrote:

interesting. so, how did this character come to petition the Pathfinder Society for three years of training and a chance at becoming an agent? not baiting, btw, actually interested, as it doesn't seem that the tenets of "explore, report, cooperate" would appeal too terribly much to the character.

Definitely sounds like a field commission....

Sovereign Court

Any chance for Gillmen being a playable race as long as they take the "Riverfolk" or "Throwback" alt racial trait? Would really like to play one of these guys just for the flavor.

Silver Crusade **

I think the problem I have is that I enjoyed the the fact that they were limited to a few lucky people who won them at Cons or those would spent their time Gming at cons.

I don't feel that everyone should get them, now I know that is not fair thought process but it's not meant to be fair it is meant to be a reward for spending your time at a convention running games and not playing in them. And for a few lucky players to have earned through sheer luck.


I currently have a Nagaji Naga Aspirant that is only level 3 since it pretty much only sees the slow advancement rate of PbP. So if I start playing him in FtF games I will be a bit ahead of the potential crowd of Aspirant influx.

I already have a level 1 Tiefling that I am unsure if I like the build or not. But it at least already has the race reserved.

I have an unspecified GM credit character number that I suppose I will make into some sort of Aasimar PC to have that reserved.

I have no desire for a Kitsune, though I know they will be immensely popular. Just too cartoonish for me personally.
I may be making some sort of shadow casting Wayang.

I'm actually not sorry to see the Aasimar and Tiefling go. Primarily due to their proliferation. At my local, it is not all that uncommon to have an entire table of Chelaxian Tieflings.

I really like the idea of the short quests. I would think it will be especially helpful in introducing new people to this wonderful hobby. Several times I've had some people (even small groups) stop to ask about our PFS events. They seemed interested, but didn't have time in their schedule to sit through 4 hours. I think I might have got a few of them hooked with a 1-2 hour quick run if it is done well.


Shifty wrote:

I'm disappointed to be honest.

On a side note, I also find it a bit odd to say its about the Cantina effect when you take away two mostly human races and replace them with a talking fox, a snake man and a shadow puppet from asian mythology.

Two vaguely passable for three furries.

They never said it was about the cantina effect, what they said was that when weighing whether to introduce new races they had to worry about the balance of many things, one of which was the cantina effect.

Blog Post wrote:
It's tough to balance the lure of race boons for conventions against letting as many people as possible play the types of characters they want. Add to that the heated discussions about whether or not some non-standard races are overpowered and the concerns about the so-called "cantina effect." That's a lot to juggle when making a decision, but we decided that introducing a few new options would be best for the campaign.

I personally think its a nice balance to cycle in some new and out some old.

301 to 350 of 853 << first < prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Organized Play / Pathfinder Society / Paizo Blog: New Options All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.