Advanced Class Guide Preview: Bloodrager

Tuesday, June 24, 2014


Illustration by Géraud Soulié

Even during the brainstorming and initial design for the Pathfinder RPG Advanced Class Guide, the bloodrager was the "weird" class. The concept was strong—a mix of the barbarian and the sorcerer that used bloodlines to fuel its arcane rage—but the weirdness came from the lack of precedent for the class. Hunters, investigators, shaman, and swashbucklers were all over history, folklore, and were even mentioned in Golarion before they were added to this book, but the bloodrager was created out of whole cloth. We thought about toying with the name or forcing it into some kind of classical archetype, but when we tried either of those, something got lost along the way.

While we liked the initial proof of concept, marrying it with another story idea did not solve the problem. There was still something missing. Then it came like a thunderbolt—spells! The bloodrager needs spells!

Like the sorcerer, the bloodrager needed to be a spontaneous caster, but we wanted the progression to look something like the ranger or the paladin (the bloodrager was a full BAB class after all), both of which are prepared casters. The first order of business was to design a similar progression for spontaneous casters. Once that was done, we had to find the right spell list. Spell lists are tricky beasts, and we knew substantial shifts would occur with each design iteration, but we needed a starting point. To that end, we chose a modified version of the magus list. We knew it wasn't perfect—far from it—but it was the best place to start.

The overall design goal was to create a class that was both easy to build and fun to play. Even before we unleashed this most metal of classes to the general public, I had a good feeling we were on track. Ryan Macklin decided to give this bruiser a whirl during our internal playtests, and loved the feeling of playing a character that basically felt like a character off the cover of an old heavy metal album, without flipping though a number of sources to get him just right. In other words: mission accomplished.

When the bloodrager reached the public playtest, this sentiment was echoed by a great number of playtesters. Were there issues? Sure. As we figured, that spell list wasn't cutting the mustard, but it gave us handholds to make the climb toward the class's own spell list. There was some fiddling to be done with a number of class features, both those that were standard for the class, and those nestled in the bloodlines, but the excellent playtest data gave input on where to expand, where to pull back, and which ones just needed a little finesse to get right.

After some playtest chatter, we looked again at renaming the classes or to give it a focus that fit better with lore, but in the end the class is what it is called, and named what it does. So bloodrager stuck.

With the development of the bloodrager completed, the next step was the creation of archetypes. This is always difficult for classes that basically have archetypes in their design (bloodlines, I'm looking at you) but we came up with some exciting options. In Advanced Class Guide you'll find the bloodrider (a mounted bloodrager that transfers some of his power to his mount) the rageshaper (a rager that gains extra features when it changes shape) and the untouchable rager (which replaces spell progression with spell resistance). All together, mixing bloodlines with archetypes, you'll be able to play a variety of bloodragers!

Stephen Radney-MacFarland
Designer

More Paizo Blog.
Tags: Bloodrager Géraud Soulié Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
1 to 50 of 157 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>
Shadow Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Did I miss something? Where is our iconic and backstory, I feel lost. *Grandmother is that you?*

The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.
the Queen's Raven wrote:
Did I miss something? Where is our iconic and backstory, I feel lost. *Grandmother is that you?*

Class discussions on Tuesdays, iconics on Thursdays.


ninja'd by a taco.


15 people marked this as a favorite.

AM BODY AM READY.


There was supposed to be a Meet the iconics before this though.


Yes but the bloodrager iconic was supposed to be shown last Thursday but they skipped it.

Shadow Lodge

4 people marked this as a favorite.

I blame Cosmo.


Untouchable bloodrager does intrigue me, though i hope they get something besides just spell resistance and that it only applies during a bloodrage.


Ohh, i like the blurbs on archtypes... can we go back and get those for the other previews? Looking forward to this untouchable most, going to have to match that heavy meal cover image too so its big hair and tight leather for that one.


christos gurd wrote:
Untouchable bloodrager does intrigue me, though i hope they get something besides just spell resistance and that it only applies during a bloodrage.

Bloodrage makes the most sense but it could also go the monk route and be supressable.


Torbyne wrote:
christos gurd wrote:
Untouchable bloodrager does intrigue me, though i hope they get something besides just spell resistance and that it only applies during a bloodrage.
Bloodrage makes the most sense but it could also go the monk route and be supressable.

most spell resistance is suppressable unless otherwise noted, the problem is burning a standard action to do it. Of course maybe this will have a swift action to drop it or something.


19 people marked this as a favorite.

Yeah, there is pretty much only one character from myth and legend that I can compare to the Bloodrager. Cu Chulainn and his warp spasm. I'm so down for this class.

Shadow Lodge

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Albatoonoe wrote:
Yeah, there is pretty much only one character from myth and legend that I can compare to the Bloodrager. Cu Chulainn and his warp spasm. I'm so down for this class.

+1 to that on both counts


There was no Spellstorm (caption for the image) on the archetype list, so I'm guessing that is a new spell in this book, or perhaps a new class/archetype feature?


So fired up for this. I like Magus, but I prefer spontaneous casting... and I wanted a two handed weapon.

Win!

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2013 Top 16

By any chance is there a Dex-based archetype or bloodline a la the Urban Barbarian?

Grand Lodge

Cthulhudrew wrote:
There was no Spellstorm (caption for the image) on the archetype list, so I'm guessing that is a new spell in this book, or perhaps a new class/archetype feature?

Ummm no. It's chakram hula hoops, DUUUUUUHHH!


RainyDayNinja wrote:
By any chance is there a Dex-based archetype or bloodline a la the Urban Barbarian?

There was mention in the test thread for Swashbuckler that there would be a dex to damage feat, so there might be something workable there even without an archetype.


Pathfinder Card Game, Pawns, Rulebook Subscriber

i can think of one source with a hero that could be discribed as a Bloodrager. (not at the start through) a manga called Negima, exept the "rage" is fueled by fusing/eating an offensive spell rather than unleashing it at the end of the casting/incantation.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Being possessed by spirits for battle also seems pretty Bloodrager-y, and that's a staple of a few mythos (the Loa leap immediately to mind, but they're hardly the only ones).

Editor

17 people marked this as a favorite.

BLOODRAGE

*smashes a bunch of pottery*

BLOOOOOOODRAAAGE

*bites a bat just to hear it scream*

BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODRAAAAAAAAAAAAGE

*takes puffs from inhaler*

Seriously, it's the fantasy archetype I never knew that I wanted, and now it's my favorite.

- Ryan


13 people marked this as a favorite.

BOOOODRAAAGE! {politely sips tea and knits doily}

...

Hmmm, I have a sneaking suspicion I might be doing it wrong.

SCONES AND EARL GREY FOR THE MACKLIN GOD!


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Ryan Macklin wrote:

BLOODRAGE

*smashes a bunch of pottery*

BLOOOOOOODRAAAGE

*bites a bat just to hear it scream*

BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODRAAAAAAAAAAAAGE

*takes puffs from inhaler*

Seriously, it's the fantasy archetype I never knew that I wanted, and now it's my favorite.

- Ryan

Does this mean Link from Legend of Zelda is part of the inspiration? ...Is there going to be one with a Fairy Familiar?

When I saw the Destined Bloodline... totally thought of Richard from Sword of Truth. I really like how versitile Destined makes the class though, lets you have all the features without any heavy flavoring.


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Kairos Dawnfury wrote:
Does this mean Link from Legend of Zelda is part of the inspiration? ...Is there going to be one with a Fairy Familiar?

{eye begins twitching again} NO! Oh no, please, no.


Pillbug Toenibbler wrote:
Kairos Dawnfury wrote:
Does this mean Link from Legend of Zelda is part of the inspiration? ...Is there going to be one with a Fairy Familiar?
NO! Oh no, please, no.

Where do I market my new mini with a small squeaky speaker and an aux cable!?

Editor

12 people marked this as a favorite.
Pecan Sandie Duncan wrote:

BOOOODRAAAGE! {politely sips tea and knits doily}

...

Hmmm, I have a sneaking suspicion I might be doing it wrong.

DOILYS AND EARL GREY FOR THE MACKLIN GOD!

To be truthful, my bloodrager in the playtest was all about tea, peace, harmony, all that... except while bloodraging. He was totally ashamed to be abyssally tainted. In our first major encounter, he even tried to talk down the monsters while everyone else was fighting. That, of course, served as a platform for the tilt: when the monster rejected his offer, the bloograge happened; I removed my lithe half-elf mini from the table and put the barghest in its place.

The players flipped. It was awesome. It highlights one of the little touches I love about the class: there's no alignment restriction from your bloodline (or at all in the class), so you can get your emo while clawing a foe's face. (Folks who know me well know that's my jam.)


4 people marked this as a favorite.

Navi would be an awesome familiar, every time it talks you would have to save or immediately go into Rage.

Grand Lodge RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Kairos Dawnfury wrote:
Ryan Macklin wrote:

BLOODRAGE

*smashes a bunch of pottery*

BLOOOOOOODRAAAGE

*bites a bat just to hear it scream*

BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODRAAAAAAAAAAAAGE

*takes puffs from inhaler*

Seriously, it's the fantasy archetype I never knew that I wanted, and now it's my favorite.

- Ryan

Does this mean Link from Legend of Zelda is part of the inspiration? ...Is there going to be one with a Fairy Familiar?

That archetype comes with the drawback that you automatically enter bloodrage as soon as someone says "Hey, listen!"


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Now that I think of it, this would be a much better archetype for the Skald.

Liberty's Edge

Even with no Archetype...Eldritch Heritage (Arcane)nets you a Familiar, and Fairy type critters are only an Improved Familiar Feat away. And works as well for the Skald as the Bloodrager.

I'm tempted to do this now, and I don't even play the Legend of Zelda games.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Jiggy wrote:
Kairos Dawnfury wrote:
Ryan Macklin wrote:

BLOODRAGE

*smashes a bunch of pottery*

BLOOOOOOODRAAAGE

*bites a bat just to hear it scream*

BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODRAAAAAAAAAAAAGE

*takes puffs from inhaler*

Seriously, it's the fantasy archetype I never knew that I wanted, and now it's my favorite.

- Ryan

Does this mean Link from Legend of Zelda is part of the inspiration? ...Is there going to be one with a Fairy Familiar?
That archetype comes with the drawback that you automatically enter bloodrage as soon as someone says "Hey, listen!"

... Who are you who thinks so brialliantly and why are you not at my table? ;)


Ryan Macklin wrote:
Pecan Sandie Duncan wrote:

BOOOODRAAAGE! {politely sips tea and knits doily}

...

Hmmm, I have a sneaking suspicion I might be doing it wrong.

DOILYS AND EARL GREY FOR THE MACKLIN GOD!

To be truthful, my bloodrager in the playtest was all about tea, peace, harmony, all that... except while bloodraging. He was totally ashamed to be abyssally tainted. In our first major encounter, he even tried to talk down the monsters while everyone else was fighting. That, of course, served as a platform for the tilt: when the monster rejected his offer, the bloograge happened; I removed my lithe half-elf mini from the table and put the barghest in its place.

The players flipped. It was awesome. It highlights one of the little touches I love about the class: there's no alignment restriction from your bloodline (or at all in the class), so you can get your emo while clawing a foe's face. (Folks who know me well know that's my jam.)

Mr. Macklin, I like the Cut of your Gib.


Interesting, like the sound of the bloodrider.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

I still can't get over the fact that every time I look at 'bloodrager' my mind separates the syllables between the 'o' and 'd', instead of the 'd' and 'r'. And then my mind fills in the blank and I read 'blue ranger' every single time.

And I think, 'Oh, no, not the 90's! Not again!'


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Dragon78 wrote:
Interesting, like the sound of the bloodrider.

Blue Drider!


Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber
Dustin Ashe wrote:

I still can't get over the fact that every time I look at 'bloodrager' my mind separates the syllables between the 'o' and 'd', instead of the 'd' and 'r'. And then my mind fills in the blank and I read 'blue ranger' every single time.

And I think, 'Oh, no, not the 90's! Not again!'

I keep parsing "warpriest" as "warpiest" or "warpist".

I am just going to keep calling it "war priest".


I'm more than a little put off by the Bloodrager getting his own spell list. I have a lot of third party material that has spells for existing spell lists making applying them to Bloodrager trickier. My only hope is that it has all the magus spells with additions so that I easily house rule that all 1-4 level third party magus spells are also Bloodrager spells.

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

The thing that had me scratching my head was 'blood sanctuary': so I have a little insurance if the party wizard is chucking fireballs wantonly?

I'd think getting a +2 bonus on saves against spells the bloodrager knew would be more useful, methinks.

Looking forward to seeing the new bloodrager!

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

I kind of want to know more about the rageshaper. I've got a dragon blooded bloodrager in my home group trying to become a dragon warrior and I'm wondering if it will allow him to become more dragony and what the trades are for it?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Rageshaper sounds cool.


Hmm...I have mix feeling about Bloodragers. The bloodlines give them a pretty broad toolbox to use while building the character which is nice. I did enjoy playing a Oracle/Barb Rage Prophet. Just not a class that instantly appeals to me I suppose.


Cthulhudrew wrote:
There was no Spellstorm (caption for the image) on the archetype list, so I'm guessing that is a new spell in this book, or perhaps a new class/archetype feature?

I too am interested in this! (although probably for different reasons)


While I found the playtest version of the class really interesting mechanically (especially when using a pitborn tiefling with the abyssal bloodline), that name still gets me. The continual references to metal music within the blog fits since everything I look at the name, I think its a cheesy metal band from the late 80's. I really wish they could have found a less cheesy name, but I understand why they decided to keep it.


Pathfinder Adventure, Rulebook Subscriber

I am super excited for this class. I have been trying to multiclass into a bloodrager since back in the 3.0 days. Can't wait to take it for a spin.


Sounds awesome. But I am still worried by the WAS "the bloodrager WAS a full BAB class after all."

Did they remove the full bab? Other questions still linger as well.

Will certain spells be added or removed from their list (looking at bladed dash to be added)?

Was an alignment restriction added to match the barbarian?

Was the Arcane bloodline changed?

Seems I will have to wait until the book in August.


It shall be interesting to see how this turned out.

Grand Lodge RPG Superstar 2012 Top 32

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Malwing wrote:
I'm more than a little put off by the Bloodrager getting his own spell list. I have a lot of third party material that has spells for existing spell lists making applying them to Bloodrager trickier. My only hope is that it has all the magus spells with additions so that I easily house rule that all 1-4 level third party magus spells are also Bloodrager spells.

Wait. You're put off (and not just a little) because Paizo didn't design their product around other companies' products?


Jiggy wrote:
Malwing wrote:
I'm more than a little put off by the Bloodrager getting his own spell list. I have a lot of third party material that has spells for existing spell lists making applying them to Bloodrager trickier. My only hope is that it has all the magus spells with additions so that I easily house rule that all 1-4 level third party magus spells are also Bloodrager spells.
Wait. You're put off (and not just a little) because Paizo didn't design their product around other companies' products?

Yes and no.

No because keep in mind that this includes Paizo's non-core products like Player Companions and Campaign settings. I also hold the unpopular opinion that Magus should have just had the 1-6 Sor/Wiz list for the above reasons and that there's so many Sor/Wiz spells that I really want to use as a Magus. I just think that when a new class gets it's own list it closes up more things than it opens including spells from Player Companions, Campaign Settings and third party.

Yes because I think keeping design space open for third party publishers is all around good for Pathfinder as a whole.

It doesn't make me want to dismiss the whole product or the class but it makes applying new material a lot easier to me.


I really like the idea of the bloodrager class and I am looking forward to playing one. I just hope that the Dragon bloodline bloodragers are getting a bite attack so I don't have to do some sort of nonsense with traits to get a full set of natural attacks ;)


legolizard wrote:

Sounds awesome. But I am still worried by the WAS "the bloodrager WAS a full BAB class after all."

Did they remove the full bab? Other questions still linger as well.

It is the proper tense for to use in the context displayed. They are talking about the playtest, which was in the past. As such, when the bloodrager appeared there, it was a full BAB class.

Had they been discussing it in the present tense, then the use of "was" would be something to be worried about.

1 to 50 of 157 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Paizo Products / Product Discussion / Paizo Blog: Advanced Class Guide Preview: Bloodrager All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.