Pathfinder of the Month: Thursty

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Hello Pathfinders!

The Pathfinder community is rapidly growing, reaching numbers in the hundreds of thousands, spread all over this great wide world. Each month, we ask a member of our community to tell us a little bit about themselves. We'll feature players, hobby shops, and anyone else helping to make Team Pathfinder awesome!

This month, Thurston Hillman basks in the warm glow of Paizo's adulation, as our way of saying thanks for all his hard work writing scenarios and generally being awesome!

To preface; it was a cold Canadian Monday when my local venture-officers told me to stop by the local game shop for their weekly game of Pathfinder Society. I showed up, only to find that it was 'Thursty Night' and they were running tables using only my Society scenarios—what an awesome feeling! Of course, when Jenny Bendel messaged me about 30 minutes after I left about being 'Pathfinder of the Month', I figured I was in some crazy gamer dream world. As it turns out, I wasn't in some weird delusion, and now, here I am standing beside giants (well John Halpin at least, I can't comment on Steve's height).

Living in the cold northern lands of Winnipeg, I can't say when I got into roleplaying games. I started with a copy of AD&D Second Edition, which I ran throughout high school. The roughest looking of my 'old gaming collection' would be my stack of Ravenloft books, which I've kept to this day.

Later, while living in a bachelor pad of gamers, I was running about eight games, all of which were Pathfinder. During this time, I GM'd my first adventure path; successfully running a group of players through the Second Darkness where they managed to avert the end of the world with only a single surviving character... who may, or may not have been facing down the BBEG and about 30 of their minions before a well-timed fade to black.

As you may have gathered from my little introduction, I also freelance for Paizo. I started in 2010 when I tossed in a Pathfinder Society open call submission. A browbeating set of feedback later and I was writing for Paizo! Since that first project, I've been involved in writing two convention specials and three more scenarios for the Society. Somehow I tricked the Paizo staff into letting me do more work for them, and you can see some of my handiwork from monsters in the upcoming Mummy's Mask adventure path.

In 2011 I snuck out to my first GenCon, where I volunteered at the Pathfinder Society room. It was there I started making my first real connections in the community; sharing drinks and conversations with people like Liz Courts, Jason Bulmahn, Tim Hitchcock, Mark Moreland, and many more. Following GenCon, I was able to visit Seattle and the Paizo home office during the weekend of PAX Prime 2011. During this visit, I managed to meet Erik Mona, after forcing him into the gaming room when I had all the tables chanting 'Squealy Nord'. I also had the privilege of sleeping on Kyle Elliot's couch.

Bah, there are too many people and too many stories to tell. That's the great thing about being part of this community, I've made friends from across the world, and I like to consider this community more than just a game. It's a group of great people, and it's my pleasure to interact with them.

Except that Jim Groves guy, he's still my archenemy.

If you'd like to nominate a Pathfinder of the Month, or would like to be featured yourself, send a blog of 500 words or less, along with a photo, to press@paizo.com.

Jenny Bendel
Marketing Director

More Paizo Blog.
Tags: Community Pathfinder of the Month
Paizo Employee Developer

4 people marked this as a favorite.

Thursty! The world's a better place with you in it. Thanks for being part of our community!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I can vouch for Thursty's awesomeness, as he's sitting next to me, about to start book four of Shattered Star!

And, no, he didn't make me say that. :)

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

11 people marked this as a favorite.
Hillman the Maniacal wrote:
Except that Jim Groves guy, he's still my archenemy.

o_0

Dear Kyle Baird,

I regret to inform you that I must cease being your archenemy. A pressing (albeit minor) matter has come to my attention. I have enjoyed our rivalry and if circumstances permit, I would not be adverse to continuing it a future date.

In the interim, there is a matter of pest control which demands my attention. If I might make a recommendation? Larry Wilhelm is lacking an archenemy. Don't let Larry's easygoing demeanor deceive you. I've been told he's good in a knife fight.

Best always,

Jim Groves


Right on Thursty!

Paizo Employee Developer

4 people marked this as a favorite.

My wife still blames you when I get sucked into a Skyrim binge. I will never be able to repay you, however, so it sort of evens out. Thanks for all the great work you've done for me in the past (and in the future... right?)

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Jim Groves wrote:
Hillman the Maniacal wrote:
Except that Jim Groves guy, he's still my archenemy.

o_0

Dear Kyle Baird,

I regret to inform you that I must cease being your archenemy. A pressing (albeit minor) matter has come to my attention. I have enjoyed our rivalry and if circumstances permit, I would not be adverse to continuing it a future date.

In the interim, there is a matter of pest control which demands my attention. If I might make a recommendation? Larry Wilhelm is lacking an archenemy. Don't let Larry's easygoing demeanor deceive you. I've been told he's good in a knife fight.

Best always,

Jim Groves

I lolled.

Project Manager

3 people marked this as a favorite.

Thank heaven you're around, Thursty.

Webstore Gninja Minion

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Hm. I don't remember Thursty at GenCon PFS 2011...it was kind of a blur...

Maybe it was the beer.

Maybe it was Maybelline.

Paizo Employee Starfinder Society Developer

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Liz Courts wrote:

Hm. I don't remember Thursty at GenCon PFS 2011...it was kind of a blur...

Maybe it was the beer.

Maybe it was Maybelline.

I was that annoying punk who showed up and randomly ran games for you, while you madly ran the PFS room with Mark! :D

Oh, how our friendship has grown.

Paizo Employee Starfinder Society Developer

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Jim Groves wrote:
Thursty is awesome. A good friend and a great person to have to bounce ideas around.

I choose to acknowledge this message instead of the previous missive.

Of course, I also view it as an admission of defeat. Twas a good rivalry while it lasted. ;)

Paizo Employee Starfinder Society Developer

Mark Moreland wrote:
My wife still blames you when I get sucked into a Skyrim binge. I will never be able to repay you, however, so it sort of evens out. Thanks for all the great work you've done for me in the past (and in the future... right?)

I'm surprised she hasn't punched me at a PaizoCon... yet.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Adventure Path Charter Subscriber

Ah Thursty! Within 5 mins of meeting the chap, he had me up in his hotel room. I remember fondly looking at pictures with Myron about terrain for some hacks PFS scenario! Awesome guy and well deserved! Even though he has tried to stab me on several occasions.....
Larry

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Thurston Hillman wrote:
Jim Groves wrote:
Thursty is awesome. A good friend and a great person to have to bounce ideas around.

I choose to acknowledge this message instead of the previous missive.

Of course, I also view it as an admission of defeat. Twas a good rivalry while it lasted. ;)

I deleted it while searching for a candlestick...

Paizo Employee Publisher, Chief Creative Officer

4 people marked this as a favorite.

Congrats, Thursty! You are truly a giant among men (even when most of them seem much taller than you…)

Editor-in-Chief

10 people marked this as a favorite.

Name and description sound made-up. If we're going to invent people for these blogs they should come off as more believable.


F. Wesley Schneider wrote:
Name and description sound made-up. If we're going to invent people for these blogs they should come off as more believable.

NPC Design Fail? :)

Paizo Employee Starfinder Society Developer

2 people marked this as a favorite.
F. Wesley Schneider wrote:
Name and description sound made-up. If we're going to invent people for these blogs they should come off as more believable.

And the Thursty comes in the NIIIIIIIIIIGHT!


Who is this guy, does he even have a PFS number? And come on, anyone who claims to be Jim Groves' nemesis has to be imaginary - no one doesn't like Jim. ;)

Seriously, 'gratz Thursty!


He's been a good proselyte for Pathfinder, too. The company I work with got him to do the PF conversions of our 4e adventures, and got us a lot more sales.

Plus he plays a great orphan-killing hero of the people.

Liberty's Edge

'Orphan- Killing? Explain!


Yeah, tongue firmly in cheek - Thursty gave me my first writing job for Pathfinder, when we did the Grand Convocation 4711 for PaizoCon and I got to do one of the quests. Also introduced me to the Kraken. He's a good guy.

Paizo Employee Starfinder Society Developer

Matthew Pittard wrote:
'Orphan- Killing? Explain!

Propaganda, I assure you!


Pathfinder Companion Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Now lets make a Thursty Thursday at the Chatroom :)

Congratz Thursty, well deserved!

Sovereign Court

Three cheers for Thursty! Hip-hip hooray! Hip-hip hooray! Hip-hip hooray!

Liberty's Edge

Is the Minister for Propaganda likely to be at Paizocon this year?


Awesome 3rd Month choice! Congratulations Sir!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Thursty, I say this with all honesty: You've beyond a doubt made my Paizo experience a lot better.

Paizo Employee Starfinder Society Developer

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Cheapy wrote:
Thursty, I say this with all honesty: You've beyond a doubt made my Paizo experience a lot better.

Now drink the damn bourbon, Cheapy!

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

Thurston Hillman wrote:
Cheapy wrote:
Thursty, I say this with all honesty: You've beyond a doubt made my Paizo experience a lot better.
Now drink the damn bourbon, Cheapy!

No William, he slipped a mickey in it!

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

On second thought, drink your bourbon Will.. it's.. it's getting cold.


Jim Groves wrote:
Thurston Hillman wrote:
Cheapy wrote:
Thursty, I say this with all honesty: You've beyond a doubt made my Paizo experience a lot better.
Now drink the damn bourbon, Cheapy!
No William, he slipped a mickey in it!

Oh, I've already promised to do that to Thursty at PaizoCon!

Grand Lodge

*blink-blink*


Pathfinder Card Game, Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber

Kudos!

Grand Lodge

Congrats, Thursty. A much deserved spotlighting indeed.

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Companion, Maps Subscriber; Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber

I've spent a GenCon rooming with an awesome PFS writer...and I've also spent a GenCon rooming with Thursty! Now on to what he wrote above:

Thursty wrote:
...it was a cold Canadian Monday when my local venture-officers told me to stop by the local game shop...

So that could have been any Monday of the year in Winterpeg. So, did you get to soak in any tears that night?

Quote:
...sharing drinks and conversations with people like Liz Courts, Jason Bulmahn, Tim Hitchcock, Mark Moreland, and many more.

All good people, but us Canadians really have to work and get Jason to put out those Canadian pdf versions of all the books with the proper spelling of armour, colour, etc. And hey, you named the other PFS writer that I've roomed with: Hi Tim!

Quote:
...I've made friends from across the world, and I like to consider this community more than just a game. It's a group of great people, and it's my pleasure to interact with them.

Agreed, and I'm glad that I've had the chance to meet and have a drink with you, even though you are from Winnipeg.

Congratulations on your spotlight this month, keep up the good writing, and look forward to seeing you again at GenCon!

Angus

Paizo Employee Starfinder Society Developer

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Angus, you are a sage and a scholar :)

Dark Archive

GM Lamplighter wrote:
Yeah, tongue firmly in cheek - Thursty gave me my first writing job for Pathfinder, when we did the Grand Convocation 4711 for PaizoCon and I got to do one of the quests. Also introduced me to the Kraken. He's a good guy.

Ah Thursty and his Kraken, I still have fond (but blurred) memories from Paizocon 2013 of meeting Thursty and his Kraken and passing out on his shoulder after gaming all day and trying to keep up with him on the Kraken.

Kudos Thursty!!!

Grand Lodge

Congratulations, Thursty!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Matthew Pittard wrote:
Is the Minister for Propaganda likely to be at Paizocon this year?

This is long overdue, but in 2012 I ran a one shot at GenCon, and Thursty captained a ship into a hostile nation's harbor and, to cover his escape, fired cannons at an orphanage to distract his enemies.

Community / Forums / Paizo / General Discussion / Paizo Blog: Pathfinder of the Month: Thursty All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in General Discussion