Mummy's Mask Player's Guide

Thursday, March 6, 2014

In short time, brave postal carriers and miles of copper wire will be bringing the first volume of the Mummy's Mask Adventure Path to subscribers (and later—the world!) While your GM waits for Pathfinder Adventure Path #79: The Half-Dead City the first volume and you wait to start your campaign, check out the Mummy's Mask Player's Guide and start getting some ideas about the characters you and your fellow players want to play. This guide talks about ways to get the party together, and provides players with some background on Osirion, especially the city of Wati where the adventure begins. The guide also gives some tips and advice on the best class and race options for your characters in this campaign. Of course, no Adventure Path Player's Guide would be complete without an array of exciting campaign traits. (For those that are devoted, make sure to tune in to this blog a week from today to get a sneak peek of the gods of Ancient Osirion.)

Download the free Mummy's Mask Player's Guide now! Those tombs aren't going to raid themselves, so suit up and head out to the desert.


Adam Daigle
Developer

More Paizo Blog.
Tags: Mummy's Mask Pathfinder Adventure Path
Contributor

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Called it! Thanks for this. :)

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Excitement! Player's Guide!

Disappointment! I wanted the gods info!

Impatience! Next week is, like, a whole week away!


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

just looked it over, very nice! like the layout!


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook Subscriber

I have a friend who SO will be wanting to be in this. ^^;;

Suppose I could always do a two-hour weekday game over Skype twice a month for him, his wife, and a friend...


YAY!

I won't have a chance to look at this for a little bit - how's the spoilers level in this one?

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2010 Top 4

Majuba wrote:

YAY!

I won't have a chance to look at this for a little bit - how's the spoilers level in this one?

There are none, of course my perspective is a little broader, but as the author of Chapter One there is nothing in it that I would not want the players to know.

As I said in the store thread, Chapter One begins a little differently than some of the other APs.. but I will let the Player's Guide speak for itself.

Silver Crusade

Thx! Looking forward to this AP.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

That is one useful guide. I like the extensive suggested archetype list - it brings to mind some things read but forgotten.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

This is an awesome players guide and has me super psyched. I can't wait to get my grubby mits on the adventure proper to find out how easily I can convert it to a pulp adventure in Egypt.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

The poor, forgotten gnomes.... Apparently, gnomes are the only core race not suited to this AP. ;P


5 people marked this as a favorite.

I appreciate the Player's Guide has some marketing value, but seriously, this is an insanely nice guide for free. I would add this to my downloads even if I wasn't going to run this campaign.

Silver Crusade

YEEEESSSSS

Quote:
(For those that are devoted, make sure to tune in to this blog a week from today to get a sneak peek of the gods of Ancient Osirion.)

YEEEEEEESSSSSS


Free is a wonderful thing. :)


Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Douena Trestleben wrote:
The poor, forgotten gnomes.... Apparently, gnomes are the only core race not suited to this AP. ;P

<shrug> Oh, they're suited to it as much as any core race. It's just that they don't have a significant community or history in Osirion.

To the South in Katapesh, however, is the gnome community of Finderplain. Also, almost half the campaign traits (Inquisitive Archaeologist, Mummy-Cursed, Sphinx Riddler, and Trap Finder) are readily applicable to gnome characters; two others (Foreign Opportunist and Resurrected) are pretty race agnostic and can be made to work with a gnome with minimal effort.


Dragonchess Player wrote:
Douena Trestleben wrote:
The poor, forgotten gnomes.... Apparently, gnomes are the only core race not suited to this AP. ;P
<shrug> Oh, they're suited to it as much as any core race. It's just that they don't have a significant community or history in Osirion.

Nor do elves, half-elves, or half-orcs, but at least they get mentioned.

Paizo Employee Developer

Yay! I'm glad folks are liking it.

Silver Crusade

Desert survival notes present. This just got real.


Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

I'll admit to being a little sloppy with my language in using "community" instead of "presence."

From Osirion, Legacy of Pharaohs:

Quote:

Eto

...
Population 9,500 (8,215 humans, 436 halflings, 255 dwarves, 187 elves, 96 half-elves, 311 others)
Quote:

An

...
Population 38,200 (30,638 humans, 3,413 half-elves, 1,545 elves, 1,294 halflings, 769 dwarves, 542 others)

From the Player's Guide:

Quote:
As a small city, Wati has a population just over 7 thousand, most of which are humans of Garundi and Keleshite ethnicities. The second highest racial demographic is halfling, followed by dwarves and half-elves.

From People of the Sands:

Quote:

Half-Orcs

Half-orcs are common in Katapesh, both as pit fighters and as caravan guards warding off roving gnoll warbands.

In addition, the worship of Rovagug in certain parts of Osirion may attract/recruit half-orcs.

It's a bit unexplained why half-orcs are mentioned, but gnomes aren't. It may be that the "common in Katapesh," "caravan guards," and the Rovagug tie-in was enough for their mention, while gnomes lacked those hooks.


This is exactly what a "Players Guide" should be! The Pathfinder Library has grown so large that we need this type of summary to draw attention to the possibilities (archetypes, equipment, etc) which might be worth a new look before starting the campaign. BRILLIANT. Thanks also (in advance) for the details on the ancient Gods of Osirion next week - that will allow us to play clerics, paladins and inquisitors of these Gods and makes the "devotee of the old gods" character trait a real option. I am so looking forward to running this!


Agreed - the players guide is awesome, drawing attention to the key rules that will be used without overstating their importance. It also gives people a general idea in which to go so their character doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.

Very much looking forward to this one becoming an addition to my shelf, and hopefully getting an opportunity to run it one day!


Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, Pawns Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Gnomes may not be mentioned, but one of the iconics for this AP is one (Balazar).


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Jim Groves wrote:
Majuba wrote:
I won't have a chance to look at this for a little bit - how's the spoilers level in this one?
There are none, of course my perspective is a little broader, but as the author of Chapter One there is nothing in it that I would not want the players to know.

I have to agree after having read it (and thanks for the inside perspective as well Jim!)

This is PHENOMENAL. This may be the best Player's Guide since Legacy of Fire or Carrion Crown, despite being perhaps the shortest. My top thank you's for this:

  • Thank you for no spoilers!
  • Thank you for fantastic Campaign Traits, in both power and fantastic flavor. Just shy of the "Finding Haleen" shark-jumping and every one is useful and chock-full of character ideas.
  • Thank you for illustrating the thematically appropriate options, not the mechanically appropriate ones. I'm sure there's a good overlap between the two, but skipping the 'strong but no flavor match' items was great.
  • Thank you for not shoe-horning in every class and race imaginable. Even gnomes, who I love.
  • Thank you for the light tease of elements to come (desert travel, hexploration, etc.)
  • Thank you for the great visitor's view of Wati, and a player's link to a native point of view. Not to mention the trait tie-in.
Exactly what I was hoping for - thank you!

Edit: There was one slight semi-issue. Under Ranger Favored Enemy 'strong options' is listed "Outsider (Elemental)". That's not strictly wrong, but it is confusing since that's not an actual option - you have to pick Outsider (Earth), Outsider (Fire), etc. You can't pick Outsider with the Elemental subtype.


Mummy's Mask Player's Guide at page 9 wrote:
To give the players a look at some of the NPCs they’ll face during the Adventure Path without having to cover up part of the book, GMs can use Pathfinder Cards: Mummy’s Mask Face Cards.

Where can I find a pre-order for these cards?

I can't wait to run this AP for my friends!

Great Player's Guide - already inspiring discussion about character backstory amongst my players.

Silver Crusade RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16

I agree with others, this guide will be extremely useful for players of the AP!

The only thing I was hoping to see and didn't was some type of new rule for desert treks or desert combat or something. I guess I was spoiled by the Skull & Shackles player's guide, which has tons of rules for pirating and ship combat, etc.


Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Maps, Rulebook Subscriber
FabioMatt wrote:
Mummy's Mask Player's Guide at page 9 wrote:
To give the players a look at some of the NPCs they’ll face during the Adventure Path without having to cover up part of the book, GMs can use Pathfinder Cards: Mummy’s Mask Face Cards.

Card subscription items are announced through July, so it looks like the earliest the face cards could be available would be August. WotR Face Cards are out in April, or 3 months after the final AP volume was originally scheduled, so October might be a more realistic estimate. They have to have the art for all 6 volumes in hand before making the Face Cards, so they're never available until after the AP is complete.


Good guide. The only quibble I could level at it is the absence of a mention of the Dungeon Rover archetype. Particularly since two other archetypes from the same book are mentioned. It makes me wonder if it is truly not suitable or just a "ran out of space" type of thing.

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I love the setup for this one. It's classic and fresh at the same time. Now to just find the time and a GM...


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion, Maps Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

I am worried about the effect that this adventure path could have on American weather. This time last year, Paizo published "Reign of Winter" -- and we are just now getting out of our most brutal winter in several years. What is an adventure path set in a hot desert likely to do?


5 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook Subscriber

More importantly, does this mean Disney is going to release a desert-themed animated movie (that isn't Aladdin) in the next year or two? I mean, we had Frozen follow RoW...

Grand Lodge

Tangent101 wrote:
More importantly, does this mean Disney is going to release a desert-themed animated movie (that isn't Aladdin) in the next year or two? I mean, we had Frozen follow RoW...

Or maybe Ubisoft will release a game about exploring tombs in egypt.


Ask a Shoanti wrote:
I appreciate the Player's Guide has some marketing value, but seriously, this is an insanely nice guide for free. I would add this to my downloads even if I wasn't going to run this campaign.

Here, here! I've always been impressed by the quality of the Player's Guides. Back when they cost money I was impressed, and once they became free I was even more impressed when the quality didn't diminish.

Now, count the most impressed I've been yet - I agree with those above who've said this is the best Player's Guide to date. Whatever magic formula you guys stumbled upon with this iteration, don't lose it. This is everything a Player's Guide should be: spoiler free but with an excellent amount of references to help players ground their characters in the AP and enough flavour to convey a good grasp for the setting's atmosphere.

Well done Daigle and McCreary!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
David knott 242 wrote:

I am worried about the effect that this adventure path could have on American weather. This time last year, Paizo published "Reign of Winter" -- and we are just now getting out of our most brutal winter in several years. What is an adventure path set in a hot desert likely to do?

On a more selfish note, I'll keep my fingers crossed that the pattern continues. Not only was it a brutal winter for America, but it was for Canada as well since bad weather (of the cold variety) tends to be magnified from what the US gets. So if you guys get an insanely hot summer thanks to Mummy's Mask, us Canucks might get an extra-long summer for once, as compared to the usual 2 months out of 12 that we get where I'm from.

Though I'm not a sociopath, so if that nice Canadian summer comes at the expense of a deadly heatwave down south, I'll withdraw my cross-fingered wishing.


Hey cool! Thanks!


The Block Knight wrote:
David knott 242 wrote:

I am worried about the effect that this adventure path could have on American weather. This time last year, Paizo published "Reign of Winter" -- and we are just now getting out of our most brutal winter in several years. What is an adventure path set in a hot desert likely to do?

On a more selfish note, I'll keep my fingers crossed that the pattern continues. Not only was it a brutal winter for America, but it was for Canada as well since bad weather (of the cold variety) tends to be magnified from what the US gets. So if you guys get an insanely hot summer thanks to Mummy's Mask, us Canucks might get an extra-long summer for once, as compared to the usual 2 months out of 12 that we get where I'm from.

Though I'm not a sociopath, so if that nice Canadian summer comes at the expense of a deadly heatwave down south, I'll withdraw my cross-fingered wishing.

Can't they make an Eternal Autumn/Spring one?

Silver Crusade

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Belle Mythix wrote:
The Block Knight wrote:
David knott 242 wrote:

I am worried about the effect that this adventure path could have on American weather. This time last year, Paizo published "Reign of Winter" -- and we are just now getting out of our most brutal winter in several years. What is an adventure path set in a hot desert likely to do?

On a more selfish note, I'll keep my fingers crossed that the pattern continues. Not only was it a brutal winter for America, but it was for Canada as well since bad weather (of the cold variety) tends to be magnified from what the US gets. So if you guys get an insanely hot summer thanks to Mummy's Mask, us Canucks might get an extra-long summer for once, as compared to the usual 2 months out of 12 that we get where I'm from.

Though I'm not a sociopath, so if that nice Canadian summer comes at the expense of a deadly heatwave down south, I'll withdraw my cross-fingered wishing.

Can't they make an Eternal Autumn/Spring one?

I smell a fey-centric AP!


I'd go for that. I'm leaning more toward Eternal-Autumn. The temperature is the same as Spring but the air just feels crisper. I also prefer the Autumn colour palette and I love Halloween. I also think it would be a more likely theme for a fey-centric AP since Autumn fey tend to be more villainous than Spring fey. Also, Halloween.

Great idea, Belle and Mikaze, and an excellent example of project-building via community. Group brainstorming for a better world - Terraforming North America one Adventure Path at a time!


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook Subscriber

True. Because it's a period of eternal dying and decay, rather than the birth and renewal of life.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Tangent101 wrote:
True. Because it's a period of eternal dying and decay, rather than the birth and renewal of life.

I dunno....Autumn fey seem like they would play less havoc on my sinuses.

(also fond of autumn leaves, but then the same goes for spring leaves as well. Gah, every season has its beauty. :) )

edit-but srsly, pollen gremlins would be almost as bad as pugwampis.

Almost


Roll to avoid steering the topic farther afield (DC20):

Will: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21

[EDIT: Keeping it brief then.]
Ooooh, we should have pollen gremlins, or hay fever fey of some kind. That would be neat.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Tangent101 wrote:
More importantly, does this mean Disney is going to release a desert-themed animated movie (that isn't Aladdin) in the next year or two? I mean, we had Frozen follow RoW...

I think this post deserves more credit ^_^


I'm going to be running this adventure for my group, and I must say, I'm really looking forward to it. Also, due to an awesome idea from another thread on the forums here, I'm going to be adding in a kitsune npc (fennec-folk FTW)!

Seriously though, this is a great Player's Guide. I can't wait to run this AP!

Paizo Employee Developer

4 people marked this as a favorite.

For ease of use, here's the gods of Ancient Osirion blog that I mention in this blog.


That's a wonderful resource Adam, and it's great to see it posted so we don't have to wait until the second book.


Tangent101 wrote:

I have a friend who SO will be wanting to be in this. ^^;;

Suppose I could always do a two-hour weekday game over Skype twice a month for him, his wife, and a friend...

I run a two hour game on Sundays from 3pm to 5pm for my lone player who just can't get the rest to play Classic Traveller, Shadowrun, or whatever version of Aftermath we're into at the time...

It's fun, and gives me a break from fantasy to recharge my creative juices.


ZanThrax wrote:
That's a wonderful resource Adam, and it's great to see it posted so we don't have to wait until the second book.

Oh! Thank you for that!

Though you'd think they'd have included that information elsewhere rather than in the second book of this campaign if we could still use it for character creation...

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber
Adam Daigle wrote:
For ease of use, here's the gods of Ancient Osirion blog that I mention in this blog.

This already came of use to me. Thank you so much.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Kuzunoha Kaijitsu wrote:
ZanThrax wrote:
That's a wonderful resource Adam, and it's great to see it posted so we don't have to wait until the second book.

Oh! Thank you for that!

Though you'd think they'd have included that information elsewhere rather than in the second book of this campaign if we could still use it for character creation...

Several factors (time, resources, space) prevented us from doing that.

Paizo Employee Developer

1 person marked this as a favorite.

More to the point, I think that including a gazetteer of the city the first two adventures take place in is far more valuable than an article about old deities. The worship of the old gods isn't a super strong focus in this Adventure Path, but knowing what's up in Wati certainly is (at least in the first two adventures).

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

Plus can't people just Wikipedia the old deities? With Egyptian deities, we have all our real world knowledge to draw from, as opposed to stuff that is Golarion-only, that we have no other source to draw from.

Of course, there can always be some changes between the real...uhm, "real" Isis and the Golarion version, but I think you can get fairly well in the ballpark if you just use the RL versions.


James Jacobs wrote:
Kuzunoha Kaijitsu wrote:
ZanThrax wrote:
That's a wonderful resource Adam, and it's great to see it posted so we don't have to wait until the second book.

Oh! Thank you for that!

Though you'd think they'd have included that information elsewhere rather than in the second book of this campaign if we could still use it for character creation...

Several factors (time, resources, space) prevented us from doing that.

I only meant as a character creation tool, its a bit late in book two. Though I agree, getting the gazetteer of Wati will be very useful as well and (for at least one of my players) more important than the ancient deities.

I'm just overly fond of the deific information provided in my roleplaying games. The deities books are always the ones I look forward to the most. Speaking of which,I believe Inner Sea Gods is coming out this month. I will be disappointed to not get more on Inari and her Tian counterparts, but this will be one of the books I'll be adding to my shelf immediately!

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder Adventure Path / Mummy's Mask / Paizo Blog: Mummy's Mask Player's Guide All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Mummy's Mask