Demons Invade the Community!

Saturday, August 10, 2013

Paizo's Community Use Policy is a great tool for members of the community to use to share their passion for the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game and the Pathfinder campaign setting. Whether such projects take the form of fan fiction, a wiki cataloguing the continuity and canon of the setting, or a series of handouts or posters to advertise a local convention or game day, the CUP allows for non-commercial use of Paizo's intellectual property, including some pieces of art. Many of these art resources can be found in the Community Use Package here on paizo.com, but also on this very blog.

With the launch of the Wrath of the Righteous Adventure Path, we thought it would be helpful to the community to release some images of demons into the Community Use Package via the blog so that folks can use them legally to promote the adventure path and the Pathfinder Society's Year of the Demon metaplot. So take these images and use them in your Pathfinder community project. We can't wait to see what the creative minds who read this blog can come up with!

Click here For more information on the terms of the Community Use Policy and a registry of existing Community Use projects.



Illustrations by Eric Belisle, Eva Widermann, Andrew Hou, Tyler Walpole and Ben Wootten (Pathfinder Pawns: Bestiary Box, Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Inner Sea World Guide, Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Bestiary, and Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Lords of Chaos)

Mark Moreland
Developer

More Paizo Blog.
Tags: Andrew Hou Ben Wootten Community Use Policy Eric Belisle Eva Widermann Tyler Walpole

Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

Yoink!


Who's the artist of the succubus?

Dark Archive

4 people marked this as a favorite.

Pfft I claimed this forum a long time ago, this free loaders can just take a hike.


Awesome!

Silver Crusade

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

It appears Nocticula is the Demon Lord of Strippers and metal murals on the side of vans.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

8 people marked this as a favorite.
DM_aka_Dudemeister wrote:
It appears Nocticula is the Demon Lord of Strippers and metal murals on the side of vans.

One might think that, but that's actually the Hezrou's job. Demons aren't here to make you happy!

NOW WATCH THE POLLUTION-SOAKED TOAD DEMON STRIP!!!!!

MWA HA HA HAHAH !

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
DM_aka_Dudemeister wrote:
It appears Nocticula is the Demon Lord of Strippers and metal murals on the side of vans.

One might think that, but that's actually the Hezrou's job. Demons aren't here to make you happy!

NOW WATCH THE POLLUTION-SOAKED TOAD DEMON STRIP!!!!!

MWA HA HA HAHAH !

As The Todd would say, "Nothing wrong with that!"

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Reckless wrote:
As The Todd would say, "Nothing wrong with that!"

The hezrou's nausea ability would say otherwise, of course...

Dark Archive

Eh, most of the boy demons are wearing about as much as Nocticula (and less than the succubus) anyway.

Soul-searing horror all around.


James Jacobs wrote:
Reckless wrote:
As The Todd would say, "Nothing wrong with that!"
The hezrou's nausea ability would say otherwise, of course...

Slurp, sluuurrrppp sluurp! Nah!

(Vomit Guy says HI JAMES)

Silver Crusade

Whatevs, that Babau looks pretty slick.

(I still say that is the most metal looking marilith I've ever seen)

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Mikaze wrote:


(I still say that is the most metal looking marilith I've ever seen)

I know. Looks like she's going to a KIZKS Concert.

Spoiler:
Knights In Xon-Kuthon's Service, duh :P

Shadow Lodge

Very cool, thanks Mark!


Yes thanks for the beautiful picture of the Babau, didn't had that one yet, too bad the new Balor picture isn't among these artworks, the Balor from the Bestiary Box, can you put that one on too somewhere please? *puppy eyes*


Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber
AlgaeNymph wrote:
Who's the artist of the succubus?

Tyler Walpole.

Dark Archive

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber

how does the "clothing" in the Nocticula image actually stay on?

Liberty's Edge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Demon magic.... it's made of souls that are afraid to fall off.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
Reckless wrote:
Demon magic.... it's made of souls that are afraid to fall off.

Souls of Gawd-fearin' prudes from The Bible Belt, guvnor.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I like the babau and quasit the best. The babau might be the best one of that I've seen of babaus. I'm not feeling the succubus and marilith. The marilith has too much metal going on on her head, and I can't explain it but there is just something about the way the succubus was done that just doesn't seem quite right. (Or maybe it's just because out of all the demons in artwork out there the succubus probably has more good artwork to compete with and looks worse by comparison.)

It's not shown here, but I still say that Paizo should go back to the more classic balor look, especially considering it has been described as the quintessential picture people have in mind when the name demon comes up. I never did like Paizo's version of it.

Dark Archive

Drock11 wrote:
I like the babau and quasit the best.

Ditto. Both are pretty much the best pictures of those two critters, ever.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
chopswil wrote:
how does the "clothing" in the Nocticula image actually stay on?

Maybe she got some advice from Merisiel or Seoni. I often wonder how Merisiel gets her head jewels to stay on her head or Seoni gets her dress to stay, umm, anywhere. I wonder if double sided tape is readily available in Golarion.

I guess with Nocticula at least the rational could exist that since she's basically a succubus lord and can probably change her form at will it might not be clothing she's wearing at all, but a technical part of the form she choose that day. It probably could explain the hair as well, unless she has a really good hair person on retainer.

Now that I think about it that would be a cool ability to have. It would make getting dressed in the morning so much easier.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
chopswil wrote:
how does the "clothing" in the Nocticula image actually stay on?

She gets to do lots of things mortals can't.

That said, I'm not so sure she necessarily WANTS it to stay on.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens Subscriber
Drock11 wrote:

Unless she has a really good hair person on retainer.

There's probably a demon-lord of hair in the Abyss, but he/she is busy around the salon for most of eternity. What with all these succubi needing their hair done and mariliths getting their mohawks waxed. And don't even get started on Deskari's attempt at a toupee. But the gossip he/she could share is priceless.

Paizo Employee Developer

Gancanagh wrote:
Yes thanks for the beautiful picture of the Babau, didn't had that one yet, too bad the new Balor picture isn't among these artworks, the Balor from the Bestiary Box, can you put that one on too somewhere please? *puppy eyes*

An image of the balor is already in the Community Use Package, as it was released on the blog as a preview to the Pathfinder Bestiary way back in 2009. Since the goal of this post was to get as many different images of demons out into the wild for the community to use them, I ddn't want to double dip. Check out the original post here.

Contributor

The babau and quasit are amazing. :)

And yes, Nocticula is the demon-lord of double-sided tape.

Webstore Gninja Minion

Todd Stewart wrote:

The babau and quasit are amazing. :)

And yes, Nocticula is the demon-lord of double-sided tape.

I thought she was the demon lord of wardrobe "malfunctions?"

Silver Crusade

Liz Courts wrote:
Todd Stewart wrote:

The babau and quasit are amazing. :)

And yes, Nocticula is the demon-lord of double-sided tape.

I thought she was the demon lord of wardrobe "malfunctions?"

Isn't that Socothbenoth? The way he's described he always seems to be the most likely non-kyton to have a horrifying piercing-related accident.

implying it would be accidental in Socothbenoth's case

(oh God we're getting art for him too aren't we :O )

Edit-I support the four-eyed balor look!

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
James Jacobs wrote:
chopswil wrote:
how does the "clothing" in the Nocticula image actually stay on?

She gets to do lots of things mortals can't.

That said, I'm not so sure she necessarily WANTS it to stay on.

You mean they're parasites of some sort?

Oh ew! Abyssal fashion lampreys! D:

Paizo Employee Creative Director

2 people marked this as a favorite.

It's hardly a "malfunction" when it happens to a succubus.


Drock11 wrote:
I can't explain it but there is just something about the way the succubus was done that just doesn't seem quite right.

Two things that stand out to me about Tyler Walpole's succubus, which I personally find appealing, are the androgynous face and the detail put into the feet. Perhaps that's what seems uncanny to you?


Mark Moreland wrote:
Gancanagh wrote:
Yes thanks for the beautiful picture of the Babau, didn't had that one yet, too bad the new Balor picture isn't among these artworks, the Balor from the Bestiary Box, can you put that one on too somewhere please? *puppy eyes*
An image of the balor is already in the Community Use Package, as it was released on the blog as a preview to the Pathfinder Bestiary way back in 2009. Since the goal of this post was to get as many different images of demons out into the wild for the community to use them, I ddn't want to double dip. Check out the original post here.

That's not the Balor picture I meant, its about the picture of the Balor from the Bestiary Box Pawn Set, that balor picture is better in my opinion, never liked the Balor from the bestiary 1 much so I was happy to see a new Balor picture, but I can't find a version of it on internet only the one from Bestiary box 1 but its in bad quality.

The Exchange

So the bug thing that isn't a demon from the bestiary is Deskari himself, right? What size is he?

Paizo Employee Developer

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Lord Snow wrote:
So the bug thing that isn't a demon from the bestiary is Deskari himself, right? What size is he?

Fine.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Mark Moreland wrote:
Lord Snow wrote:
So the bug thing that isn't a demon from the bestiary is Deskari himself, right? What size is he?
Fine.

LIES

Dark Archive

Mikaze wrote:
Edit-I support the four-eyed balor look!

Trigon's a Balor?

Grand Lodge

James Jacobs wrote:
It's hardly a "malfunction" when it happens to a succubus.

Or at a Super Bowl.

Hardly a malfunction

Community / Forums / Paizo / General Discussion / Paizo Blog: Demons Invade the Community! All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.