Golarion Day: Prepare to Get Harrowed!

Thursday, April 28, 2011

So, we just shipped The Harrowing off to the printer. An adventure where you get sucked into a magical deck of harrow cards and end up interacting with some of the strangest characters we've published yet! Check 'em out! (Those of you who are familiar with the Harrow Deck will probably recognize these three folks...)

Illustrations by Dmitry Burmak

Also, you can tell when I forget to write a blog post until we get to a point where I have only 20 minutes to do a blog before heading into a supersized meeting that'll take up the rest of the day, can't you? Cause there's not many words? Guess I should put up a third picture from The Harrowing to further distract you from the lack of words... hope it works!

Illustrations by Dmitry Burmak

James Jacobs
Creative Director

More Paizo Blog.
Tags: Animals Dmitry Burmak Elves Golarion Thursdays Harrow Pathfinder Modules Rakshasas
Sovereign Court RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32, 2010 Top 8

Wow, it's like Dungeonland in a deck!

(speaking of which, any chance we can get a new Harrowing deck built more like the old Ravenloft Tarroka cards?)


Rabbit Prince FTW!

Paizo Employee Franchise Manager

Matthew Morris wrote:
any chance we can get a new Harrowing deck built more like the old Ravenloft Tarroka cards?

If this adventure is as popular as I think it will be, and we sell out of our existing stock of the Harrow Deck, anything's possible. But we're unlikely to put in the time and money to completely redo a product that we've got lots of sitting in the warehouse.

Dark Archive

Through the Looking Glass in a Deck...

WIN ! Also reminds me of an old Dungeon mod.

Lack of words but more art: GOOD!

And oh so Pretty !

Dark Archive

Mark Moreland wrote:
.....But we're unlikely to put in the time and money to completely redo a product that we've got lots of sitting in the warehouse.

In that case Paizo should make a special officer to get discounted or even free deck with the purchase of this adventure.

The Exchange

Souphin wrote:
Mark Moreland wrote:
.....But we're unlikely to put in the time and money to completely redo a product that we've got lots of sitting in the warehouse.
In that case Paizo should make a special officer to get discounted or even free deck with the purchase of this adventure.

You wait around for that to happen. I'm getting mine before they're all gone in July.


Pathfinder Maps, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
baron arem heshvaun wrote:

Through the Looking Glass in a Deck...

WIN ! Also reminds me of an old Dungeon mod.

Lack of words but more art: GOOD!

And oh so Pretty !

What's the old Dungeon mod Baron?


Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

Oh so purdy pictures. Did the text say anything interesting?

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Souphin wrote:
Mark Moreland wrote:
.....But we're unlikely to put in the time and money to completely redo a product that we've got lots of sitting in the warehouse.
In that case Paizo should make a special officer to get discounted or even free deck with the purchase of this adventure.

We don't have *that* many!

Doug Miles wrote:
You wait around for that to happen. I'm getting mine before they're all gone in July.

We don't have *that* few!

Dark Archive

Is it just me, or are the Croc-Dude's hands backwards?

left hand on right arm, Etc

Dark Archive

Solarious wrote:

Is it just me, or are the Croc-Dude's hands backwards?

left hand on right arm, Etc

Rakshasa

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Matthew Morris wrote:

Wow, it's like Dungeonland in a deck!

(speaking of which, any chance we can get a new Harrowing deck built more like the old Ravenloft Tarroka cards?)

What do you mean? Smaller cards in black and white and red on flimsier paper? :P

If so, no.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Solarious wrote:

Is it just me, or are the Croc-Dude's hands backwards?

left hand on right arm, Etc

yup; good eye!

As said above, he's a rakshasa.

Sovereign Court RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32, 2010 Top 8

James Jacobs wrote:
Matthew Morris wrote:

Wow, it's like Dungeonland in a deck!

(speaking of which, any chance we can get a new Harrowing deck built more like the old Ravenloft Tarroka cards?)

What do you mean? Smaller cards in black and white and red on flimsier paper? :P

If so, no.

I meant White Wolf's heavy duty tarot deck sized cards.

One of my prized possessions :-)


I am a proud owner of a Harrow Deck and I break it out whenever I can and I am really looking forward to this.

I also at one point had the idea of having a randomly generated dungeon using a harrow deck. Each card would represent a room and the players would draw another card when they opened a door to a new room. The idea had been that they were sucked into a harrow deck.

I am kind of curious if this is going to end up at all similar to that idea... either way this is definitely going to be a purchase for me.

RPG Superstar 2008 Top 32

Matthew Morris wrote:


I meant White Wolf's heavy duty tarot deck sized cards.

One of my prized possessions :-)

With amazing art by Talon Dunning!

Paizo definitely needs to hire Dunning to do some art for Pathfinder.


This looks really really awesome.

Silver Crusade

Having gotten real familiar with the deck over the course of one of the APs, this is going to be a real treat. The "real life" versions of the cards are awesome and jarring. :)

Here's hoping The Keep makes it in. I'm going to try and steer clear of The Beating though.


Mikaze wrote:

Having gotten real familiar with the deck over the course of one of the APs, this is going to be a real treat. The "real life" versions of the cards are awesome and jarring. :)

Here's hoping The Keep makes it in. I'm going to try and steer clear of The Beating though.

personally I am going to be trying to stay damn clear from The Fiend and The Lost as well

Paizo Employee Franchise Manager

All 54 cards in the deck appear. And if you want to beat the adventure, you're going to have to encounter almost all of them...even The Fiend and The Lost.

Contributor

Matthew Morris wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Matthew Morris wrote:

Wow, it's like Dungeonland in a deck!

(speaking of which, any chance we can get a new Harrowing deck built more like the old Ravenloft Tarroka cards?)

What do you mean? Smaller cards in black and white and red on flimsier paper? :P

If so, no.

I meant White Wolf's heavy duty tarot deck sized cards.

One of my prized possessions :-)

Mine as well, as I wrote for MAGE and also collect tarot cards.

But looking at the two decks side by side (since I have them both here), while the card size is larger with the MAGE tarot, and the booklet is spiffier, and the box is a bit nicer (but still not as nice as some of my other tarots), the price difference is $25 for the MAGE Tarot at least ten years ago, and $15.99 for the Harrow deck currently.

Which is not to say that I wouldn't like to see a large format Harrow deck at some time in the future, but I think the price point is about right for the current format of the deck.

Sovereign Court

This art is ace, thumbs up for Dmitry Burmak.

Dark Archive

Jam412 wrote:


What's the old Dungeon mod Baron?

It was an adventure in Dungeon Magazine 19.

It's cover had the Skull Card on the ground with a 'Minor Death' rising from it; inside the magazine was card stock with images you could cut out to make your own Deck of Many Things.

Here's a link to images for the Dungeon magazine covers.


Adventure Path Charter Subscriber

I think this is a tremendous idea for an adventure! Kudos.

Sovereign Court RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32, 2010 Top 8

Kevin Andrew Murphy wrote:

Mine as well, as I wrote for MAGE and also collect tarot cards.

But looking at the two decks side by side (since I have them both here), while the card size is larger with the MAGE tarot, and the booklet is spiffier, and the box is a bit nicer (but still not as nice as some of my other tarots), the price difference is $25 for the MAGE Tarot at least ten years ago, and $15.99 for the Harrow deck currently.

Which is not to say that I wouldn't like to see a large format Harrow deck at some time in the future, but I think the price point is about right for the current format of the deck.

I don't collect tarot cards on average (and definately don't touch other peoples' cards) But I do regret not getting the Mage Tarot for my collection.

Dark Archive

James Jacobs wrote:
Solarious wrote:

Is it just me, or are the Croc-Dude's hands backwards?

left hand on right arm, Etc

yup; good eye!

As said above, he's a rakshasa.

I've never actually fought/ ran an encounter with a Rakashasa. I've only glanced at their stat block. Very intresting.


Mark Moreland wrote:
All 54 cards in the deck appear. And if you want to beat the adventure, you're going to have to encounter almost all of them...even The Fiend and The Lost.

*shiver*


Solarious wrote:
I've never actually fought/ ran an encounter with a Rakashasa. I've only glanced at their stat block. Very intresting.

Want to encounter one? Live within driving distance of Columbus, Ohio? If so, you should come to Origins with your PFS character.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

baron arem heshvaun wrote:
Jam412 wrote:


What's the old Dungeon mod Baron?

It was an adventure in Dungeon Magazine 19.

It's cover had the Skull Card on the ground with a 'Minor Death' rising from it; inside the magazine was card stock with images you could cut out to make your own Deck of Many Things.

Here's a link to images for the Dungeon magazine covers.

That adventure, "House of Cards," is one of my favorite adventures. It was also one of the primary points of inspiration to me for the initial outline and storyline for "The Harrowing."


Marcus Ewert wrote:
Rabbit Prince FTW!

I beg to differ.


Kyle Baird wrote:
Mark Moreland wrote:
All 54 cards in the deck appear. And if you want to beat the adventure, you're going to have to encounter almost all of them...even The Fiend and The Lost.
*shiver*

The Tyrant looks dangerous too ...

Liberty's Edge Contributor

I feel it's also important to point out that "The Harrowing" marks Paizo's first time employing a goblin writer, a notable minority in the RPG industry.

Addendum: BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Contributor

The AWESOME insanity Crystal brought to this adventure CANNOT be understated.

As Crystal's first full-fledged module, she has a lot to be proud of.

Dark Archive

Sláinte Crystal !

Will the be paper minis ?

: )

Silver Crusade

Mark Moreland wrote:
All 54 cards in the deck appear. And if you want to beat the adventure, you're going to have to encounter almost all of them...even The Fiend and The Lost.

That's...a lot of encounters! Combat, roleplaying, or other....wow.

Sounds like this thing's going to be packed!

Crystal Frasier wrote:

I feel it's also important to point out that "The Harrowing" marks Paizo's first time employing a goblin writer, a notable minority in the RPG industry.

Addendum: BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Hey...wait a second....

Liberty's Edge Contributor

Mikaze wrote:

That's...a lot of encounters! Combat, roleplaying, or other....wow.

Sounds like this thing's going to be packed!

Oh my, yes! This thing is filled to bursting with awesome encounters both violent and dramatic, and some that are just bizarre. My word of advice: Watch out for owls!

Mikaze wrote:
Crystal Frasier wrote:
I feel it's also important to point out that "The Harrowing" marks Paizo's first time employing a goblin writer, a notable minority in the RPG industry.
Hey...wait a second....

As I said: a notable minority.

Contributor

Crystal Frasier wrote:
Mikaze wrote:

That's...a lot of encounters! Combat, roleplaying, or other....wow.

Sounds like this thing's going to be packed!

Oh my, yes! This thing is filled to bursting with awesome encounters both violent and dramatic, and some that are just bizarre. My word of advice: Watch out for owls!

The owls are not what they seem?

Contributor

Kevin Andrew Murphy wrote:
The owls are not what they seem?

Nothing is as it seems in the Harrowed Realm. :)

Silver Crusade

And now I'm going to be paranoid during every single encounter expecting

Spoiler:
them to turn out to be The Betrayal. ;)


I love the way the rakshasa's hands are drawn in that artwork. I've never seen another rakshasa illustration where I was quite pleased with the way the hands were done. I especially dislike the ones where the palms are on the outside yet the fingers still curl in. (Against the backs of the hands? That seems poor.)

In this one the fingers curl outward to the palms, like the right and left hand were completely swapped. I like that best.

Can you imagine how much trouble a rakshasa would have using the computer keyboard? When they put their hands on the keys palm-down, their thumbs are on the outsides. (Of course I guess they can remedy that problem by changing shape.)

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder Adventures / Paizo Blog: Golarion Day: Prepare to Get Harrowed! All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Pathfinder Adventures