Under the Mountain Dark and Tall

Game Master MelvinVorthos


151 to 200 of 1,488 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Male Multiclass Arcane Trickster Ratfolk | HP: 53/53 (Temp 13) | AC: 21, T: 16, FF: 17 | Fort: +9, Ref: +10, Will: +7 (+1 vs illusions & continuous effects) | CMD: 13 | Init: +7, Perception: +14 | Spells: 3rd (4/4), 2nd (4/6), 1st (4/6) | Extracts: 1st (3/3) | Subtle Misdirection (9/9) | Cognotagen (1/1) | Message (1/1) | Impromptu Sneak Attack (1/1)

"Onwards." Atash says after melting the last of the undead. "I can only...give us such a...strong advantage...a few times a day...we should avoid fights...if possible."


Male CG Dwarf Ranger 2 | Investigator 5 | HP: 64/64 | AC: 20 (13 Tch, 18 Fl) | CMB: +7, CMD: 19 | F: +9, R: +10, W: +8 | Init: +7 | Perc: +12, SM: +6 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration: 4/4 | Spells: 1st 5/5 | 2nd 3/3 Active conditions: nones

Karti gives Torvi a sly grin. "My loving wife would not appreciate me outshining her, so perhaps we can reserve them as a gift. Rubies and gold make for a convincing argument, after all, when asking for help or assistance."


Immediate Map - Small Regional Map Day 6 Morning: 30 F, Thinning Clouds

The group continued on towards the Skirling Pass and the source of the Ormonas river. You returned to the ruined gatehouse you had stopped at before, following the pathway that had been cleared through the rubble. The tower you had seen earlier still stood, its interior open to the elements. You passed by what might once have been a small room inside the gatehouse, which still stood in good repair. A more narrow pathway through the rubble had been cleared so that you could walk up to it. It had no door, but three walls and a roof made for decent shelter. If there was anyone waiting to ambush you in this rubble, they would probably do so here. The fact that this room was empty gave you comfort.

On the far side of the gatehouse, you entered a wide open courtyard. Because you could only see as far as your darkvision, you couldn't see the far side of the courtyard. You could see walls on either side of the gatehouse that extended out of the range of your vision. They had battlements on both sides. There was a small tower set on the South side of the ruined gatehouse you had just passed through, connected to the wall. There were no obvious entrances to it from where you were.

Three cobblestone paths, overgrown with grass and small bushes that had sprung up over the years, led away from the gatehouse South, West, and North. The sound of the river had been to the North as you climbed the road, and you could still hear it faintly now.

Knowledge Engineering DC 15:

You could make an educated guess that you were currently inside a ward, an open space designed to trap attackers. This would explain why there was no entrance into the small tower beside the gatehouse, and why there were battlements that loomed down from above. You would also expect there to be walls on the far side of the courtyard, currently out of your vision, and perhaps other gatehouses or towers. Only once an attacking host had defeated those walls and gained access to them could they then come back along the walls to the gatehouse and towers you had just passed.


Female Dwarf Paladin 7 (AC:24[T:12 FF:23] | HP: 66/71 (0NL) | F+10*, R+5*, W+10* | Init: +1 |Perc: +10*)

"Atash, can you check the path to the North please?"


Male Multiclass Arcane Trickster Ratfolk | HP: 53/53 (Temp 13) | AC: 21, T: 16, FF: 17 | Fort: +9, Ref: +10, Will: +7 (+1 vs illusions & continuous effects) | CMD: 13 | Init: +7, Perception: +14 | Spells: 3rd (4/4), 2nd (4/6), 1st (4/6) | Extracts: 1st (3/3) | Subtle Misdirection (9/9) | Cognotagen (1/1) | Message (1/1) | Impromptu Sneak Attack (1/1)

Knowledge (engineering): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (15) + 10 = 25

"This is...a ward...designed to lure and trap would-be attackers...we would be fools...to just walk in...yes, I shall scout the north." Atash scurries off into the darkness to scout ahead.

Stealth: 1d20 + 22 ⇒ (4) + 22 = 26


Male CG Dwarf Ranger 2 | Investigator 5 | HP: 64/64 | AC: 20 (13 Tch, 18 Fl) | CMB: +7, CMD: 19 | F: +9, R: +10, W: +8 | Init: +7 | Perc: +12, SM: +6 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration: 4/4 | Spells: 1st 5/5 | 2nd 3/3 Active conditions: nones

Karti munches on his lower lip as Atash darts away and into the darkness. They had already met undead resistance well outside Pyrsa, and that knowledge has put Karti on edge. It's clear their foe could be everywhere, especially in dedicated defensive positions. "If the undead dwell here as well, I fear for the level of intelligence of the undead we will encounter within Pyrsa. This is very untypical of most undead I have encountered."

He can't wait for the group to make camp at a safe spot so he can pen down his thoughts in his diary. Doing so helps Karti to order his thoughts, and perhaps there are valuable insights to be gotten from analyzing their (admittedly so, limited) experience with the undead in and around Pyrsa.


Immediate Map - Small Regional Map Day 6 Morning: 30 F, Thinning Clouds

Atash walked ahead of the group, quickly vanishing into the dark.

Atash:

The ward was long, the North end not appearing until you were perhaps a hundred feet from where the others waited. Thankfully, there was plentiful cover, many bushes and scrubs growing here. As you crept along, you noted a spot on the wall you followed where the battlements ended. There had clearly been crenelations at one point, but someone with a chisel had come along the wall and chipped them away long ago. Perhaps the invaders had wanted to make it easier to recapture this position, if they ever lost control of it in the future.

At the Northern end of the ward, another wall connected perpendicular to the one you had been following, the same wall which had connected to the rubble of the gatehouse where the others waited. It blocked your path. Where the two walls met, there was a small round tower. Just next to the tower, and connected to it, was a small gatehouse set into this new wall. It looked to be in good repair.

See sketch.

Karti's words steamed in the night air.


Female Dwarf Paladin 7 (AC:24[T:12 FF:23] | HP: 66/71 (0NL) | F+10*, R+5*, W+10* | Init: +1 |Perc: +10*)

Torvi prays that Atash is ok.


Male Multiclass Arcane Trickster Ratfolk | HP: 53/53 (Temp 13) | AC: 21, T: 16, FF: 17 | Fort: +9, Ref: +10, Will: +7 (+1 vs illusions & continuous effects) | CMD: 13 | Init: +7, Perception: +14 | Spells: 3rd (4/4), 2nd (4/6), 1st (4/6) | Extracts: 1st (3/3) | Subtle Misdirection (9/9) | Cognotagen (1/1) | Message (1/1) | Impromptu Sneak Attack (1/1)

GM:
Atash snoops around for any signs of life (or unlife). Movement, sounds, anything that suggests the place is anything but abandoned as it appears. He also looks at the gatehouse for any easy ingress.

Perception: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (10) + 13 = 23
Stealth: 1d20 + 22 ⇒ (13) + 22 = 35


Immediate Map - Small Regional Map Day 6 Morning: 30 F, Thinning Clouds

Atash:

You were able to approach relatively close to the gatehouse, confident in your stealth. There was a large gate with heavy doors of oak and steel. Shielded from the weather, the doors appeared to be in good shape. Without approaching to try them, you couldn't tell if they were locked or barred from the inside. You noted a keyhole. There was an iron portcullis, which was raised. Aside from the gate, there were a few arrowslits about ten feet in the air set into both the gatehouse and the nearby tower. Even you couldn't fit through them.

Looking closely at the ground, you noted clear signs of recent passage. There were footprints near the door. As you were not an expert tracker, you could gather little information about who made them, or when.


Male Multiclass Arcane Trickster Ratfolk | HP: 53/53 (Temp 13) | AC: 21, T: 16, FF: 17 | Fort: +9, Ref: +10, Will: +7 (+1 vs illusions & continuous effects) | CMD: 13 | Init: +7, Perception: +14 | Spells: 3rd (4/4), 2nd (4/6), 1st (4/6) | Extracts: 1st (3/3) | Subtle Misdirection (9/9) | Cognotagen (1/1) | Message (1/1) | Impromptu Sneak Attack (1/1)

GM:
Atash waits about thirty seconds, then from behind cover speaks as softly as he can to utter a spell. From a safe distance he magically tries the locking mechanism of the door to see if it is locked.

Mage hand with ranged legerdemain

Stealth: 1d20 + 22 ⇒ (3) + 22 = 25
Disable Device: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (11) + 15 = 26


Female Dwarf Paladin 7 (AC:24[T:12 FF:23] | HP: 66/71 (0NL) | F+10*, R+5*, W+10* | Init: +1 |Perc: +10*)

Torvi begins to worry about Atash.


Immediate Map - Small Regional Map Day 6 Morning: 30 F, Thinning Clouds

Atash:

The doors were indeed locked.

But not for long.

Inside, you saw a narrow stone hallway perhaps ten feet wide. There were murder holes and arrow slits on the walls and roof inside the hallway. Perhaps twenty feet from the doorway you had just opened rested another portcullis of iron, this one was down. Just behind that was another oak and iron door set into the wall on the left side.

You recognized this as a fairly typical design. In times of war, overeager attackers could easily be lured into the hallway, where the defenders would drop the front portcullis, the one currently raised, and trap any attackers. The second oak and iron door probably led up into the gatehouse. You could only assume that there was yet another door at the back of the hallway, just out of range of your vision, which might lead out of the fortification.


Half-orc brawler 1/warpriest 5 (AC:29 [T:23 FF:17] | HP: 31/52 (0NL) | F+10*, R+11*, W+8* | Init: +6 |Perc: +11*)

"Should we go after him?" - Razaniel commented to the others.


Male Multiclass Arcane Trickster Ratfolk | HP: 53/53 (Temp 13) | AC: 21, T: 16, FF: 17 | Fort: +9, Ref: +10, Will: +7 (+1 vs illusions & continuous effects) | CMD: 13 | Init: +7, Perception: +14 | Spells: 3rd (4/4), 2nd (4/6), 1st (4/6) | Extracts: 1st (3/3) | Subtle Misdirection (9/9) | Cognotagen (1/1) | Message (1/1) | Impromptu Sneak Attack (1/1)

GM:
Atash continues sneaking forward. Every time he sees an opportunity for ambush, he worries the only reason the traps were not set off was because he was simply not being noticed. He wanted to either find defenders or find the end of this gauntlet of defenses. As he moves he mixed a concoction and downed it, his eyes sharpening.

Perception: 1d20 + 13 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 13 + 2 = 27
Stealth: 1d20 + 22 ⇒ (16) + 22 = 38

Drinking an extract of [url=https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/h/heightened-awareness/]Heightened Awareness. My alchemist level is 1 so it will last 10 minutes.[/ooc]


Female Dwarf Paladin 7 (AC:24[T:12 FF:23] | HP: 66/71 (0NL) | F+10*, R+5*, W+10* | Init: +1 |Perc: +10*)

"It has been only a few minutes. We need to trust in him, and his skills"


Immediate Map - Small Regional Map Day 6 Morning: 30 F, Thinning Clouds

Atash:

You had to follow some low bushes to a wall, then sneak around the base of the wall to get close to the gatehouse. There wasn't any cover inside it, so to actually enter the hallway you would have to leave stealth. From the outer doorway, you were able to see all the way to the back of the hallway. There were two more doors of oak and iron at the back of the hallway that presumably led on. Aside from that, you could see nothing more from your position.


Female Dwarf Paladin 7 (AC:24[T:12 FF:23] | HP: 66/71 (0NL) | F+10*, R+5*, W+10* | Init: +1 |Perc: +10*)

"Nothing good ever comes from failing to trust a team member," Torvi explains. "Each of us has our own unique knowledge, skills, and abilities. When used to compliment one another, the whole can be greater than the sum of its parts. This is no different than how a craftsdwarf can take many disparate components and create wonders."


Half-orc brawler 1/warpriest 5 (AC:29 [T:23 FF:17] | HP: 31/52 (0NL) | F+10*, R+11*, W+8* | Init: +6 |Perc: +11*)

"I trust him - however none of us is above and beyond failure, or danger"


Female Dwarf Paladin 7 (AC:24[T:12 FF:23] | HP: 66/71 (0NL) | F+10*, R+5*, W+10* | Init: +1 |Perc: +10*)

"Perhaps in the future, we should set time limits for his snooping escapades? Or maybe someone has one of those 'talk in your ear' spells?"


Immediate Map - Small Regional Map Day 6 Morning: 30 F, Thinning Clouds

Atash:

From discord messages

Atash backed up slightly, found a quiet spot, and cast vanish. He returned and walked into the hallway.

Murder holes above your head and arrow slits on either wall stared down at you unblinking. There was no spot in the hall where one would be safe from attack. At the far end of the hall, you were unchecked by the lowered iron portcullis. It was designed to stop people, dwarves, even halflings. But not you. You were able to squeeze through an opening in the rusty bars of steel. On the far side, both the doors leading up into the gatehouse and the double doors at the back of the hallway were locked.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Multiclass Arcane Trickster Ratfolk | HP: 53/53 (Temp 13) | AC: 21, T: 16, FF: 17 | Fort: +9, Ref: +10, Will: +7 (+1 vs illusions & continuous effects) | CMD: 13 | Init: +7, Perception: +14 | Spells: 3rd (4/4), 2nd (4/6), 1st (4/6) | Extracts: 1st (3/3) | Subtle Misdirection (9/9) | Cognotagen (1/1) | Message (1/1) | Impromptu Sneak Attack (1/1)

"I have that spell..." Comes a small voice, alarmingly close. Atash is standing in the circle of brawny companions, casually as if he had never left. "And I will use it if needed...if I'm not already dead that is...and at that point I suppose you're no help anyways..." Atash fusses with his whiskers for a moment, then lets out an adorably high pitched sneeze. "It's a gauntlet...an absolute nightmare to make an attack on...it's not abandoned...but I didn't see anybody...guarding it actively...we can all proceed...but with caution...lots of kill zones."


Female Dwarf Paladin 7 (AC:24[T:12 FF:23] | HP: 66/71 (0NL) | F+10*, R+5*, W+10* | Init: +1 |Perc: +10*)

Torvi nods and takes a breath, "we are pleased that you are unharmed. So, there are many kill zones, but no one to kill? And no one to kill us then? Is that the summary? If so, then let's go."


Male Multiclass Arcane Trickster Ratfolk | HP: 53/53 (Temp 13) | AC: 21, T: 16, FF: 17 | Fort: +9, Ref: +10, Will: +7 (+1 vs illusions & continuous effects) | CMD: 13 | Init: +7, Perception: +14 | Spells: 3rd (4/4), 2nd (4/6), 1st (4/6) | Extracts: 1st (3/3) | Subtle Misdirection (9/9) | Cognotagen (1/1) | Message (1/1) | Impromptu Sneak Attack (1/1)

Atash nods at Torvi's assessment. "Come...I found footsteps at...the front door...if one of you can track...you may learn more than I."


Female Dwarf Paladin 7 (AC:24[T:12 FF:23] | HP: 66/71 (0NL) | F+10*, R+5*, W+10* | Init: +1 |Perc: +10*)

Torvi gives it a try to track...

Survival: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4

"I'm not sure what has been going on here."


Immediate Map - Small Regional Map Day 6 Morning: 30 F, Thinning Clouds

The group followed Atash towards the sounds of the river for about a hundred feet. You were following the wall that extended from the ruined gatehouse, which you saw had battlements on both sides. In the distant past, someone with a chisel had come and removed all the merlons up to a certain point from the interior side of the wall, probably to make it harder to defend. After about a hundred feet, another wall joined the first at a perpendicular angle. There was a small tower with a gatehouse just next to it where the walls joined together.

See quick sketch

Atash pointed out the footprints he had seen.

Survival DC 23:

There were about fifteen people moving through the entrance to this gatehouse. You guessed that the tracks were a few days old. They were going both directions in the immediate vicinity of the gatehouse, indicating that there had been some movement in and out, probably in preparation for marching. This didn't seem characteristic of the undead you had observed, who obviously didn't need to make any preparations before traveling.

-----

The gatehouse looked to be in good repair. There were numerous arrow slits on its walls and on the adjacent tower. There was only one entrance, a strong door of oak and iron which Atash had unlocked. There was an iron portcullis in front of this door which was currently raised.

Behind this door was a narrow hallway, perhaps ten feet wide and thirty feet long, with a second iron portcullis lowered near the back. Murder holes were set into the walls and ceiling of the hallway. There was another door of oak and iron in the wall just behind this portcullis, and two more oak and iron doors at the back of the hallway leading out into the Skirling pass.


Half-orc brawler 1/warpriest 5 (AC:29 [T:23 FF:17] | HP: 31/52 (0NL) | F+10*, R+11*, W+8* | Init: +6 |Perc: +11*)

Survival: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (20) + 9 = 29

Razaniel took a moment to observe the footprints, then relayed the findings to his companions.


Female Dwarf Paladin 7 (AC:24[T:12 FF:23] | HP: 66/71 (0NL) | F+10*, R+5*, W+10* | Init: +1 |Perc: +10*)

"As interesting as it may be, we did not come here to solve the riddle of a dozen living creatures secreting their way around."


Half-orc brawler 1/warpriest 5 (AC:29 [T:23 FF:17] | HP: 31/52 (0NL) | F+10*, R+11*, W+8* | Init: +6 |Perc: +11*)

"I would rather not go through this closed area - it is perfect for a trap" - Razaniel whispered to the others - "What if we double back, find a way up the battlements, and just go over this northern gatehouse?"


Female Dwarf Paladin 7 (AC:24[T:12 FF:23] | HP: 66/71 (0NL) | F+10*, R+5*, W+10* | Init: +1 |Perc: +10*)

Torvi nods. "I agree with you Razaniel, back we go."


Immediate Map - Small Regional Map Day 6 Morning: 30 F, Thinning Clouds

Doubling back, you return to the razed gatehouse you already passed through. The rubble was high in places, and it looked like you might be able to climb it. The half ruined tower you had seen had a pile of rubble just next to it that led into the second floor. You couldn't see inside, but there would surely be a door somewhere that led onto the wall you had followed to the North.

You can also explore other areas, I just figured this path made the most sense.


Half-orc brawler 1/warpriest 5 (AC:29 [T:23 FF:17] | HP: 31/52 (0NL) | F+10*, R+11*, W+8* | Init: +6 |Perc: +11*)

"Did you check this tower before Atash?" - Razaniel whispered to his companion.


Male CG Dwarf Ranger 2 | Investigator 5 | HP: 64/64 | AC: 20 (13 Tch, 18 Fl) | CMB: +7, CMD: 19 | F: +9, R: +10, W: +8 | Init: +7 | Perc: +12, SM: +6 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration: 4/4 | Spells: 1st 5/5 | 2nd 3/3 Active conditions: nones

Karti can't help but wonder about the proximity of these individuals to the nearby undead scourge. Are they somehow not attacked by them? Or are there ways to avoid notice? "Perhaps it isn't worth the trouble, but these people live in close proximity to the undead ... which in and by itself raises plenty of questions. Anyway," he says as he sucks on his lower lip and takes in the sight of the half-ruined tower. "Once we're up there, we're all in. There's no easy fast escape route, and if they detect us, we'll still be running the gauntlet. So eh, let's try not to stir the rubble on our way up?"


Male Multiclass Arcane Trickster Ratfolk | HP: 53/53 (Temp 13) | AC: 21, T: 16, FF: 17 | Fort: +9, Ref: +10, Will: +7 (+1 vs illusions & continuous effects) | CMD: 13 | Init: +7, Perception: +14 | Spells: 3rd (4/4), 2nd (4/6), 1st (4/6) | Extracts: 1st (3/3) | Subtle Misdirection (9/9) | Cognotagen (1/1) | Message (1/1) | Impromptu Sneak Attack (1/1)

Atash shakes his head to Razaniel's question. He prepared himself to scurry to the top of the tower and drop a rope for his companions.

Stealth: 1d20 + 22 ⇒ (12) + 22 = 34
Stealth: 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (5) + 20 = 25

Perception: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (17) + 13 = 30


Immediate Map - Small Regional Map Day 6 Morning: 30 F, Thinning Clouds

Atash silently climbed the pile of rubble, choosing stones carefully to avoid disturbing any. The tower he was aiming for had been half pulled down, so that only a semicircle of its main walls still stood. It was easy for the tiny ratfolk to climb into. From atop the second story, he tossed down a rope. There was a solid enough wooden beam to anchor it to. With the rope in place, it wasn't difficult for the others to follow after.

The second story was perhaps twelve feet off the ground. Once, there had been a shrine to Torag here, and a small forge in the centre of the room. An anvil, a few scattered tools, and a little furnace were all that remained. The walls you were trying to gain access to were tall, perhaps twenty five feet high. A spiraling stairway set into the standing section of tower wall led up onto the third floor.

Above, you could see that much of the third floor had fallen away. There was still a semicircle of stone hugging the standing half of the wall. You could see a door on the North side of the third floor that must lead out onto the walls you were trying to access.

Looking carefully at the remnants of the third floor, Karti determined that they were highly unstable. Anyone other than Atash who stepped off the staircase leading up to the third floor and onto the remaining stones of the third floor would surely cause them to collapse. The collapse might even ruin the second floor, which you were currently standing on.

Dice:

Atash: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (1) + 10 = 11

Karti: 1d20 + 7 + 1d6 ⇒ (13) + 7 + (6) = 26


Female Dwarf Paladin 7 (AC:24[T:12 FF:23] | HP: 66/71 (0NL) | F+10*, R+5*, W+10* | Init: +1 |Perc: +10*)

Torvi will take a brief timeout to slightly dust and take care of the old Torag shrine and then before the group moves on, she will say a quick prayer to the Father of Creation.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male CG Dwarf Ranger 2 | Investigator 5 | HP: 64/64 | AC: 20 (13 Tch, 18 Fl) | CMB: +7, CMD: 19 | F: +9, R: +10, W: +8 | Init: +7 | Perc: +12, SM: +6 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration: 4/4 | Spells: 1st 5/5 | 2nd 3/3 Active conditions: nones

Wary of the tower's structural integrity, and in particular the staircase's lack thereof, Karti stays well clear from the steps that would lead them forward to their goal. He scowls at the uncaring stone and then turns to his companions. "Well, these steps will certainly give away under our feet so we'll have to find another way up. They might carry Atash's weight, but even that I cannot promise."


Male Multiclass Arcane Trickster Ratfolk | HP: 53/53 (Temp 13) | AC: 21, T: 16, FF: 17 | Fort: +9, Ref: +10, Will: +7 (+1 vs illusions & continuous effects) | CMD: 13 | Init: +7, Perception: +14 | Spells: 3rd (4/4), 2nd (4/6), 1st (4/6) | Extracts: 1st (3/3) | Subtle Misdirection (9/9) | Cognotagen (1/1) | Message (1/1) | Impromptu Sneak Attack (1/1)

"How about...the walls?" Atash inquires of Karti, quietly pointing to his mount's claws.


Male CG Dwarf Ranger 2 | Investigator 5 | HP: 64/64 | AC: 20 (13 Tch, 18 Fl) | CMB: +7, CMD: 19 | F: +9, R: +10, W: +8 | Init: +7 | Perc: +12, SM: +6 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration: 4/4 | Spells: 1st 5/5 | 2nd 3/3 Active conditions: nones

"They look sturdy enough. The problem, I suppose, is that our weight ...", and he looks at Raza and Torvi before returning to Atash. "Well, it might antagonize gravity. If we could somehow get you to the door, and then find a way to create some sort of safe climbable path to it, using rope ... hrm ..."

Karti steps back and takes in the scene. Is it possible to circumvent the stairs and their tricksy scheme to cause the entire tower to collapse?


Half-orc brawler 1/warpriest 5 (AC:29 [T:23 FF:17] | HP: 31/52 (0NL) | F+10*, R+11*, W+8* | Init: +6 |Perc: +11*)

"Can you hang a rope from the battlements? And totally circumvent the tower?" - Razaniel whispered to Atash.


Immediate Map - Small Regional Map Day 6 Morning: 30 F, Thinning Clouds

Ok, you've seen the instability and formulated a plan to deal with it. I'm going to speed forward a little bit.

While Torvi dusted off a carving that depicted Torag forging the dwarves, Atash climbed to the third floor. He made quick work of the simple lock on the door out onto the wall. While he dragged another rope up onto the wall, Razaniel and Karti untied the first rope and recoiled it. Everyone was able to climb the rope, though Torvi was quite clumsy while doing so, and then you were on top of the wall.

The walk was thin, with only about ten feet of space for you to walk on top. It led straight North, away from the rubble of the ruined gatehouse. You followed it back to the gatehouse Atash had inspected earlier. From this direction, you would have to first pass through a small tower which stood at the corner of two walls.

See quick sketch.

There was a curved balcony along the Southwest corner of the tower which provided a good view of the entrance to the gatehouse, where you had been standing earlier. An extremely sturdy door, more iron than wood, led from the wall walk into the tower.

How would you like to proceed?


Male Multiclass Arcane Trickster Ratfolk | HP: 53/53 (Temp 13) | AC: 21, T: 16, FF: 17 | Fort: +9, Ref: +10, Will: +7 (+1 vs illusions & continuous effects) | CMD: 13 | Init: +7, Perception: +14 | Spells: 3rd (4/4), 2nd (4/6), 1st (4/6) | Extracts: 1st (3/3) | Subtle Misdirection (9/9) | Cognotagen (1/1) | Message (1/1) | Impromptu Sneak Attack (1/1)

Atash slowly creeps up to the door, eyes wary for traps or ambushes.

Stealth: 1d20 + 22 ⇒ (6) + 22 = 28
Perception: 1d20 + 13 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 13 + 2 = 24


Immediate Map - Small Regional Map Day 6 Morning: 30 F, Thinning Clouds

The door does not appear to be trapped. No one jumps out to attack you as you move forward.

The door is locked.


Half-orc brawler 1/warpriest 5 (AC:29 [T:23 FF:17] | HP: 31/52 (0NL) | F+10*, R+11*, W+8* | Init: +6 |Perc: +11*)

Razaniel stood watch as his companion checked the door.


Female Dwarf Paladin 7 (AC:24[T:12 FF:23] | HP: 66/71 (0NL) | F+10*, R+5*, W+10* | Init: +1 |Perc: +10*)

Torvi will scan the area for Evil!


Male Multiclass Arcane Trickster Ratfolk | HP: 53/53 (Temp 13) | AC: 21, T: 16, FF: 17 | Fort: +9, Ref: +10, Will: +7 (+1 vs illusions & continuous effects) | CMD: 13 | Init: +7, Perception: +14 | Spells: 3rd (4/4), 2nd (4/6), 1st (4/6) | Extracts: 1st (3/3) | Subtle Misdirection (9/9) | Cognotagen (1/1) | Message (1/1) | Impromptu Sneak Attack (1/1)

Atash fiddles with the lock from a safe distance.

Disable Device (RL0: 1d20 + 15 - 5 ⇒ (16) + 15 - 5 = 26


Immediate Map - Small Regional Map Day 6 Morning: 30 F, Thinning Clouds

The lock had four pins, which meant that it took you four seconds to unlock. The door budged and then stuck firm. It must have been either stuck or barred from the inside.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male CG Dwarf Ranger 2 | Investigator 5 | HP: 64/64 | AC: 20 (13 Tch, 18 Fl) | CMB: +7, CMD: 19 | F: +9, R: +10, W: +8 | Init: +7 | Perc: +12, SM: +6 | Speed 20ft | Inspiration: 4/4 | Spells: 1st 5/5 | 2nd 3/3 Active conditions: nones

Karti groans when the door refuses to budge and grimaces when he considers what other options they have. "Like a rock in your porridge ... "

Is there a way 'around' the door?


Immediate Map - Small Regional Map Day 6 Morning: 30 F, Thinning Clouds

Not from this section of wall walk. You could climb to the top of the tower, which is another 20 feet or so up.


Male Multiclass Arcane Trickster Ratfolk | HP: 53/53 (Temp 13) | AC: 21, T: 16, FF: 17 | Fort: +9, Ref: +10, Will: +7 (+1 vs illusions & continuous effects) | CMD: 13 | Init: +7, Perception: +14 | Spells: 3rd (4/4), 2nd (4/6), 1st (4/6) | Extracts: 1st (3/3) | Subtle Misdirection (9/9) | Cognotagen (1/1) | Message (1/1) | Impromptu Sneak Attack (1/1)

Atash chitters to his capybara and together they quickly climb up to the top of the tour, continuing to scout ahead for their less mobile companions and seeing if there was an easy way forward.

Atash Stealth: 1d20 + 22 ⇒ (2) + 22 = 24
Atash Perception: 1d20 + 13 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 13 + 2 + 2 = 22

Mount Stealth: 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (10) + 20 = 30
Mount Perception: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (18) + 13 = 31 +scent

151 to 200 of 1,488 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Under the Mountain Dark and Tall All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.