The GameMastery Guide: Mascots & Masterpieces!

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Aside from a metric ton of advice, new rules, charts, tools, and the like, one thing the GameMastery Guide has in spades is awesome new art! As you might have seen on the snippet from the credits page last week, a horde of fantastic artists contributed to this tome. We also did something a little unusual. Rather than illustrating every topic with our iconic heroes or scenes of battle or whatever have you, Andrew Hou created a host of murderously adorable little mascots. A host of murderously adorable little goblin mascots. So, guiding you through the ins and outs, the perils and the pleasures of the GM's art, you'll find these mischievous little menaces causing all sorts of trouble.

Illustrations by Andrew Hou

But the goblins aren't alone. We've got an entire gallery full of incredible art, with quite a few familiar faces, to preview over the coming weeks. For now, check out a few of our mascots' hijinks, along with a sampling of some of the GameMastery Guide's other full-body illustrations.

Illustrations by Eva WidermannIllustration by Florian Stitz

Next week, check in for a first look at one of the things sure to get you GMs drooling, a preview of the GameMastery Guide's expansive NPC Gallery.

F. Wesley Schneider
Managing Editor

More Paizo Blog.
Tags: Andrew Hou Eva Widermann Ezren Florian Stitz GameMastery Goblins Iconics Monsters Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Sarenrae Wizards
Dark Archive

Thanks for the great art preview, I wish the goblin had the paizo purple die though.

And who knew Ezren was a repressed Bard and a Hamlet fanboy ?

Alas poor Yorick ... I scried him well ...

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Coming up next (ok...after 6 months), Q-Workshop Jumbo Goblin Die. Comes with a free Goblin with every purchase !

The Exchange Contributor, RPG Superstar 2008 Top 6

Argh! It's "I knew him, Horatio"

One of the most misquoted of lines :)

Play it, Sam.
Why don't you come up some time and see me.
If you wanna call me that, smile.
Ask yourself, "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?
If you build it, he will come.
No, I am your father!

:)

Dark Archive

Russ Taylor wrote:

Argh! It's "I knew him, Horatio"

One of the most misquoted of lines :)

Play it, Sam.
Why don't you come up some time and see me.
If you wanna call me that, smile.
Ask yourself, "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?
If you build it, he will come.
No, I am your father!

:)

Go ahead, make my day.

Sorry, couldn't resist. :-D


God, I really can't wait for the GMG! This countdown is great!

Dark Archive

The goblin with the d20 is the funniest thing I have seen in a while.


All of them are cool.

But do I spy a classic D&D reference in Ezren's orb?


Pathfinder Adventure Subscriber

Ooh! Eva Widermann pictures, there's been much too few of those lately. (Of course, I'd like nothing better than if half the artwork in every Pathfinder product was a Widermann, with a nice split between Julie Dillon, Ben Wootten and "some new guy given a test run" for the rest.)

Contributor

Mairkurion {tm} wrote:
But do I spy a classic D&D reference in Ezren's orb?

Maaaaaaybe.

David Fryer wrote:
The goblin with the d20 is the funniest thing I have seen in a while.

Heh. These are the boring ones - I think at least (not Crystal, she flips for the "fancy" goblin). I'm saving the best for later, for the book itself, and for shots of what's hang on the door of James's office.

Liberty's Edge

F. Wesley Schneider wrote:
Mairkurion {tm} wrote:
But do I spy a classic D&D reference in Ezren's orb?

Maaaaaaybe.

David Fryer wrote:
The goblin with the d20 is the funniest thing I have seen in a while.

Heh. These are the boring ones - I think at least (not Crystal, she flips for the "fancy" goblin). I'm saving the best for later, for the book itself, and for shots of what's hang on the door of James's office.

Hmmm ...

OK, so give! I started playing D&D back in the early days of First Edition and I don't get it - what's the 'classic D&D reference'?????


Marc Radle wrote:
F. Wesley Schneider wrote:
Mairkurion {tm} wrote:
But do I spy a classic D&D reference in Ezren's orb?

Maaaaaaybe.

David Fryer wrote:
The goblin with the d20 is the funniest thing I have seen in a while.

Heh. These are the boring ones - I think at least (not Crystal, she flips for the "fancy" goblin). I'm saving the best for later, for the book itself, and for shots of what's hang on the door of James's office.

Hmmm ...

OK, so give! I started playing D&D back in the early days of First Edition and I don't get it - what's the 'classic D&D reference'?????

Man, I know I recognize that temple... It's gonna drive me nuts 'til I can place it.

I love the d20 goblin. :^D

Liberty's Edge

Wolfthulhu wrote:
Marc Radle wrote:
F. Wesley Schneider wrote:
Mairkurion {tm} wrote:
But do I spy a classic D&D reference in Ezren's orb?

Maaaaaaybe.

David Fryer wrote:
The goblin with the d20 is the funniest thing I have seen in a while.

Heh. These are the boring ones - I think at least (not Crystal, she flips for the "fancy" goblin). I'm saving the best for later, for the book itself, and for shots of what's hang on the door of James's office.

Hmmm ...

OK, so give! I started playing D&D back in the early days of First Edition and I don't get it - what's the 'classic D&D reference'?????

Man, I know I recognize that temple... It's gonna drive me nuts 'til I can place it.

I love the d20 goblin. :^D

Is it something from the Lost Temple of Tamoatchan (or however you spell it?)

Or maybe Dwellers of the Forbidden City?

I'm trying to remember old AD&D modules with pyramid / ziggurat temples ...

The Exchange

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber
golem101 wrote:
Russ Taylor wrote:

Argh! It's "I knew him, Horatio"

One of the most misquoted of lines :)

Play it, Sam.
Why don't you come up some time and see me.
If you wanna call me that, smile.
Ask yourself, "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?
If you build it, he will come.
No, I am your father!

:)

Go ahead, make my day.

Sorry, couldn't resist. :-D

That's no moon.

We're gonna need a bigger boat.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.


Adventure Path Charter Subscriber
Marc Radle wrote:


Is it something from the Lost Temple of Tamoatchan (or however you spell it?)

Or maybe Dwellers of the Forbidden City?

I'm trying to remember old AD&D modules with pyramid / ziggurat temples ...

B4 The Lost City, perhaps?

Cheers,
Colin

Scarab Sages RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32

Wow... Eva's Sarenrae... just... WOW! :D


More! More goblins for the tribe! There can never be enough goblins. Soon the Paizo cubicles will be ours!!

Grand Lodge

Eva's Sarenrae is amazing. The colors are lovely and the flow has a pleasant, almost hypnotic pattern. Absolutely delicious!

the goblins! lol

Now honestly I must start a petition for these guys as a wallpaper or something! This is just too juicy to not have!

Silver Crusade

Oh man, those goblins.

And that is another fantastic Sarenrae there. That's like four for four as far as making that goddess look awesome.

Oh God is that some dwarfcake? She's probably human. I'm assuming dwarf for the novelty. :D

Sarenrae's holding that awfully close to the planet....


I bear a striking resemblance to that barmaid when tipsy. :-k

Silver Crusade

Lilith wrote:
I bear a striking resemblance to that barmaid when tipsy. :-k

Cheerful as sunshine and dressed for Ren Faire? ;)


Mikaze wrote:
Lilith wrote:
I bear a striking resemblance to that barmaid when tipsy. :-k
Cheerful as sunshine and dressed for Ren Faire? ;)

Hey, I was in the SCA for many years, so yeah, I've got the requisite wench garb. :P

Silver Crusade

Lilith wrote:
Mikaze wrote:
Lilith wrote:
I bear a striking resemblance to that barmaid when tipsy. :-k
Cheerful as sunshine and dressed for Ren Faire? ;)
Hey, I was in the SCA for many years, so yeah, I've got the requisite wench garb. :P

Damn. I've only been in one fair and all I got was a dagged hood, wool itch, and a near death experience that I didn't even know about until the next day. :/

We need more Ren Faires dammit!

/threadjack


Personally I hope they release the pic of the goblin holding a d20 to be a pic used in the Community Use Pack.

RPG Superstar 2008 Top 32

xorial wrote:
Personally I hope they release the pic of the goblin holding a d20 to be a pic used in the Community Use Pack.

The community use policy does allow you to use artwork from the blog.


Ross Byers wrote:
xorial wrote:
Personally I hope they release the pic of the goblin holding a d20 to be a pic used in the Community Use Pack.
The community use policy does allow you to use artwork from the blog.

That is fantastic. I guess I missed that in my reading of it.


Why no Koblod love?

Doesn't anyone think about the Kobolds?

Think about the Koblods!

WE LOVE YOU!!!

Dark Archive

no you don't


LIES!!!
LIES, LIES, LIES AND DECEIT!!!
LIES, LIES, LIES AND WRECHED DECEIT!!!

But we still love you!!

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / General Discussion / Paizo Blog: The GameMastery Guide: Mascots & Masterpieces! All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.