Illustration by Scott Purdy

Kaer Maga

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

It is coming.

James Sutter
Editor

More Paizo Blog.
Tags: Kaer Maga Pathfinder Campaign Setting Scott Purdy Varisia Wallpapers
Silver Crusade

HOLY CRAP.

...I take it this is pre-ten millenia of erosion, right?! Damn. Place is creepier than I thought.

Spoiler:
And my PCs just left their army of followers there while they're traipsing about the Cinderlands. The things they'll see before the party gets back to them...

I had described it to them as being inside one gigantic, half-mile wide hexagonal building as per the description in 7 Swords of Sin. Is this what lay outside those walls, way back when?

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Ummm... ah... Ya know Tirana can just keep the alara'hai. I ain't goin' anywhere that place

Dark Archive

Just like Mt. Rushmore, Cthulhu style.


Holy sphincter failure batman - I almost fell off my chair, that is AWEsome Art work.

Before seeing the picture - brains says yeh Petra like city - might be interesting.

After seeing the picture and cleaning up the puddle of squee and other assorted fluids. I MUST HAVE THIS NOW! - THERE MUST BE AN AP SET THERE NOW!

Pure marketing genius...that picture and little bit of text... well done. I hope that is going to be the cover.


"Looks like a great place for a summer home! And I appreciate the image accompanying this real-estate investment opportunity."


We.Have.Blog-pic.

YAY!

Liberty's Edge

"It's coming straight for us! Shoot it, Ned!"


That art work makes me feel odd in a way that if my wife made me feel that way I would be like, "Ooooo that's nice"


Amazing. Major creepy....

Where has this location appeared in before? Mikaze mentioned the mod 7 Swords of Sin...

Shadow Lodge

Wow! Not at all what I pictured it to be like, but very impressive. I like it.

Silver Crusade

Panda40 wrote:

Amazing. Major creepy....

Where has this location appeared in before? Mikaze mentioned the mod 7 Swords of Sin...

It's located in Varisia, a bit north to and in-between Magnimar and Korvosa. It's only been featured specifically in the module Seven Swords of Sin and in one of the fiction pieces(The Pathfinder Journals in the AP volumes). It's also one of the city-states that make up the centers of power in Varisia, but Kaer Maga's influence is simultaneously less(in that it doesn't have outlying holdings like Magnimar and Korvosa) and further-reaching(Kaer Maga draws a LOT of strange folk from far-flung places. It's a haven for outcasts, strange cults, smugglers, and all sorts of unscrupulous types).

It's a very likely locale to turn up for people playing in adventures set in Varisia who do a good bit of travelling. (Being purposefully vague to avoid spoilers, of course)

I thought of it as having a Mos Eisley crossed with Sigil's Great Bazaar, from how it was described in other sources.


I have a new desktop wallpaper :)

Jon Brazer Enterprises

I was on the fence about this book ... until just now. SOLD!

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Wow. Anyone else getting the impresion that this isent so much built into a cliff as actually floating in the air?

Contributor

Mikaze wrote:

HOLY CRAP.

...I take it this is pre-ten millenia of erosion, right?! Damn. Place is creepier than I thought.

I had described it to them as being inside one gigantic, half-mile wide hexagonal building as per the description in 7 Swords of Sin. Is this what lay outside those walls, way back when?

Yes. This is Kaer Maga in it's heyday (or rather, one of them... this city is OLD), though it probably has many of the same features now, even with erosion. The giant hexagon description is accurate as well, though - you're looking at it from the cliff side, so you're seeing all the towers of Highside Stacks, which break up the uniformity. Though the other sides of the city are similarly carved with windows and doors at every level, the walls are a lot flatter and more uniform in their shape.

As for those awesome carvings on the cliff... well, there's a lot about those in here, and you might just find out more about them in the upcoming Pathfinder Module The Godsmouth Heresy....

Spoiler:

Uh... and by all of that, I meant to say:

It is still coming.

Contributor

Mikaze wrote:


I thought of it as having a Mos Eisley crossed with Sigil's Great Bazaar, from how it was described in other sources.

Yes!

Paizo Employee Managing Developer

More!

Now!

:)

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Nice.

Paizo Employee Managing Editor

The creepiness of the cover art for Kaer Maga is so beautifully appropriate for the content - I'm so excited to see the laid out copy with all the interior art!

Dark Archive

Mikaze wrote:
Panda40 wrote:

Amazing. Major creepy....

Where has this location appeared in before? Mikaze mentioned the mod 7 Swords of Sin...

It's located in Varisia, a bit north to and in-between Magnimar and Korvosa. It's only been featured specifically in the module Seven Swords of Sin and in one of the fiction pieces(The Pathfinder Journals in the AP volumes). It's also one of the city-states that make up the centers of power in Varisia, but Kaer Maga's influence is simultaneously less(in that it doesn't have outlying holdings like Magnimar and Korvosa) and further-reaching(Kaer Maga draws a LOT of strange folk from far-flung places. It's a haven for outcasts, strange cults, smugglers, and all sorts of unscrupulous types).

It's a very likely locale to turn up for people playing in adventures set in Varisia who do a good bit of travelling. (Being purposefully vague to avoid spoilers, of course)

I thought of it as having a Mos Eisley crossed with Sigil's Great Bazaar, from how it was described in other sources.

It also briefly is featured in book 4 of Curse of the Crimson Throne. More of a stop off on your way to reaching somewhere else.

Jon Brazer Enterprises

Judy Bauer wrote:
The creepiness of the cover art for Kaer Maga is so beautifully appropriate for the content - I'm so excited to see the laid out copy with all the interior art!

Can we see?!? Can we see?!?

Contributor

For the record, that picture is not the cover art... that's just one illustration from the book. One of many. :D

Dark Archive

Love it. I'm going to steal this image for my Scarred Land game. It is the perfect look for Glivid-Autel.

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Companion, Pawns, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber

Add me to the list of people that are looking forward to this. :)

Dark Archive

David Fryer wrote:
Love it. I'm going to steal this image for my Scarred Land game. It is the perfect look for Glivid-Autel.

Oh, it really is, since the city is described as being up on a mesa! Nice!

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Lost Omens Campaign Setting / Lost Omens Products / Paizo Blog: Kaer Maga All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Lost Omens Products