Illustration by Sara Otterstätter


Death at the Swaddled Otter!

Tuesday, February 23, 2009

This illustration, from Pathfinder Adventure Path #31, should explain to everyone why we love Sara Otterstätter.

James Sutter
Fiction Editor

More Paizo Blog.
Tags: Kingmaker Pathfinder Adventure Path Sara Otterstätter

I'm glad to see more black and white art, and more work by Sarah Otterstätter. Swaddled Otter...ha!

Sovereign Court RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32, 2010 Top 8

I like it, looks like an old woodcutting.

The name of the inn/artists name makes me chuckle too.


Did she do the art for the Six Trials of Larazod portion of AP#26?

If so, that was spectacular and this is spectacular. I love the ink work!


That's her!


Rather unimpressive. Her style is better suited for text borders, chapter title bars and other pseudo-engraving fare.

Sovereign Court

I saw the Swaddled Otter burn and all I got was this lousy T-shirt...


Matthew Morris wrote:

I like it, looks like an old woodcutting.

This is exactly what I like about her. Her work looks like something from an 18th century book


Viriato wrote:
Rather unimpressive. Her style is better suited for text borders, chapter title bars and other pseudo-engraving fare.

Too each their own, but personally I like her style, and can't wait for more.


Pathfinder Card Game, Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Charter Superscriber

She has style. Nice!

Sczarni

Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Adventure, Companion, Lost Omens Subscriber
Viriato wrote:
Rather unimpressive. Her style is better suited for text borders, chapter title bars and other pseudo-engraving fare.

I'm going to guess that this is for the pathfinder journal section of the book, which is supposed to represent sketches in a journal, for that purpose, her work is excellent.

RPG Superstar 2008 Top 32

Ice Titan wrote:

Did she do the art for the Six Trials of Larazod portion of AP#26?

If so, that was spectacular and this is spectacular. I love the ink work!

She did! You can see some of her other work here at her blog tag.

Paizo Employee Franchise Manager

According to her official website and dA account, it seems her name is Sara with no h. See her deviantArt account.

Contributor

Cpt_kirstov wrote:


I'm going to guess that this is for the pathfinder journal section of the book, which is supposed to represent sketches in a journal, for that purpose, her work is excellent.

Exactly!

Contributor

yoda8myhead wrote:
According to her official website and dA account, it seems her name is Sara with no h. See her deviantArt account.

Typo. Should be fixed shortly.

Sovereign Court RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32, 2010 Top 8

James Sutter wrote:
Cpt_kirstov wrote:


I'm going to guess that this is for the pathfinder journal section of the book, which is supposed to represent sketches in a journal, for that purpose, her work is excellent.
Exactly!

Wow, the (in character) artist must be a real hardcase. "I'd love to help put the fire out, but I'm sketching here!"


Pathfinder Companion Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Lovely style. I hope Mr Baur does not find her or I'm out of a job...

Dark Archive

Matthew Morris wrote:

I like it, looks like an old woodcutting.

The name of the inn/artists name makes me chuckle too.

Heh, 'Swaddled Otter'! I, too, like the picture a lot.

Dark Archive

yoda8myhead wrote:
According to her official website and dA account, it seems her name is Sara with no h. See her deviantArt account.

Weird... she seems to be a fan of Hugo Simberg, Värttinä and Arto Paasilinna. I guess she either has Finnish friends, or has visited Finland?


Did she list Arvo Part?

Dark Archive

Mairkurion {tm} wrote:
Did she list Arvo Part?

Arvo Pärt is Estonian, Mairkurion...


Aw. I failed.

Dark Archive

Mairkurion {tm} wrote:
Aw. I failed.

As usually... but don't feel bad -- we know the fungus infesting your trunk and roots affects your thinking.

Now, if you would only sign this brimstone-smelling contract, I could make the fungus go away...


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

I thought it was great. I certainly wouldn't want everything to be so unlike the usual Paizo style, but this is a wonderful bit of spice in the mostly-realistic stew. Thumbs up, and keep on pushing that envelope!


Asgetrion wrote:
Mairkurion {tm} wrote:
Aw. I failed.

As usually... but don't feel bad -- we know the fungus infesting your trunk and roots affects your thinking.

Now, if you would only sign this brimstone-smelling contract, I could make the fungus go away...

I may not know where they're from, but I know quality artists when I see/hear them: Sara, Arvo, non-Cheliaxian dwarves...


Awww, thanks a lot. I am really glad, that you like my artwork. There was a question about the reason, why I like artists und musicians from Finland and Estonia (in case of Arvo Pärt). I am of half Finnish descent. My mother is from Finland. And so I have relatives in Finland and have also been in holidays there. Thanks again for your commendation and your critic. I appreciate it and will keep up my work and will work on to become better. :)

Dark Archive

Welcome to Paizoland Sara!

Finns point 1: The Finns also came up with the Molotov cocktail a weapon put to use in now on the gaming table as a low level fireball. (ok there was Greek fire but ...)

Finns point 2: I MISS the Finnish Pantheon!! I know Loviatar and Mielikki live on in FR but I'm talking about Ukko and Untamo !


Sara Otterstätter wrote:
Awww, thanks a lot. I am really glad, that you like my artwork. There was a question about the reason, why I like artists und musicians from Finland and Estonia (in case of Arvo Pärt). I am of half Finnish descent. My mother is from Finland. And so I have relatives in Finland and have also been in holidays there. Thanks again for your commendation and your critic. I appreciate it and will keep up my work and will work on to become better. :)

Woo-hoo! I was somehow mystically right! (Why am I still surprised?)

Sara, I hope you saw that I was cheering your stuff from it's first appearance. You're a worthy addition to Pathfinder art, and this from someone who always goes for shiny colors first.

Second post Man it took me forever to find that one. I'm still looking for my first post.

A-ha! Geez, I'm committed today.

Dark Archive

baron arem heshvaun wrote:


Welcome to Paizoland Sara!

Finns point 1: The Finns also came up with the Molotov cocktail a weapon put to use in now on the gaming table as a low level fireball. (ok there was Greek fire but ...)

Finns point 2: I MISS the Finnish Pantheon!! I know Loviatar and Mielikki live on in FR but I'm talking about Ukko and Untamo !

M'lord baron, surely Ukko and Untamo are nothing but minor demigods in comparison to our Beloved Asmodeus, aren't they? And Chelaxians *did* invent Alchemist's Fire (and a host of other diabol... er, fabulous innovations), which is practically a low-level fireball. :)

Dark Archive

Mairkurion {tm} wrote:
Sara Otterstätter wrote:
Awww, thanks a lot. I am really glad, that you like my artwork. There was a question about the reason, why I like artists und musicians from Finland and Estonia (in case of Arvo Pärt). I am of half Finnish descent. My mother is from Finland. And so I have relatives in Finland and have also been in holidays there. Thanks again for your commendation and your critic. I appreciate it and will keep up my work and will work on to become better. :)

Woo-hoo! I was somehow mystically right! (Why am I still surprised?)

Sara, I hope you saw that I was cheering your stuff from it's first appearance. You're a worthy addition to Pathfinder art, and this from someone who always goes for shiny colors first.

Second post Man it took me forever to find that one. I'm still looking for my first post.

A-ha! Geez, I'm committed today.

You were right? Er... if I recall correctly, you were wrong in your assumption that Arvo Pärt is Finnish; you did not mention anything about Sara being of Finnish descent.

Poor Mairkurion! I would gladly burn away that debilitating fungus with Hellfire... you only need to ask! ;P

Dark Archive

Sara Otterstätter wrote:
Awww, thanks a lot. I am really glad, that you like my artwork. There was a question about the reason, why I like artists und musicians from Finland and Estonia (in case of Arvo Pärt). I am of half Finnish descent. My mother is from Finland. And so I have relatives in Finland and have also been in holidays there. Thanks again for your commendation and your critic. I appreciate it and will keep up my work and will work on to become better. :)

So that explains it. Welcome to the Paizo boards, Sara, and keep up the good work! Those illustrations are *GREAT*! :)


She likes Arvo Pärt. Deal with it, devilkin. And memorize this helpful rule: Even when it seems Mairkurion is wrong, somehow he'll turn out to be right. Maybe it's time to listen to Credo.

Silver Crusade

Mairkurion {tm} wrote:
She likes Arvo Pärt. Deal with it, devilkin. And memorize this helpful rule: Even when it seems Mairkurion is wrong, somehow he'll turn out to be right. Maybe it's time to listen to Credo.

Maybe if you fused Arvo Pärt and Jean Sibelius together...


Who around here mixes mash-ups?

Dark Archive

Asgetrion wrote:
M'lord baron, surely Ukko and Untamo are nothing but minor demigods in comparison to our Beloved Asmodeus, aren't they? And Chelaxians *did* invent Alchemist's Fire (and a host of other diabol... er, fabulous innovations), which is practically a low-level fireball. :)

All so very true.

At times the voices that echo in my head recall days of yore when the tomes spoke of Asmodeus as mere lesser god.

Bile blasphemy.

Where are these pretender godlings now I can not say, but our lord Asmodeus could bring fire to heavens had it been his will to do so.

One Infernal lord, One True Faith, One Eternal Empire.

Cheliax is Victorious on all fronts.

Dark Archive

Mairkurion {tm} wrote:
She likes Arvo Pärt. Deal with it, devilkin. And memorize this helpful rule: Even when it seems Mairkurion is wrong, somehow he'll turn out to be right. Maybe it's time to listen to Credo.

You live in denial, old treant -- false assumptions are false assumptions, no matter how you spin it. And your misguided prejudice towards Chelaxians makes you refuse from my good-natured offer to help with your awkward problem... *sigh*.

Dark Archive

baron arem heshvaun wrote:
Asgetrion wrote:
M'lord baron, surely Ukko and Untamo are nothing but minor demigods in comparison to our Beloved Asmodeus, aren't they? And Chelaxians *did* invent Alchemist's Fire (and a host of other diabol... er, fabulous innovations), which is practically a low-level fireball. :)

All so very true.

At times the voices that echo in my head recall days of yore when the tomes spoke of Asmodeus as mere lesser god.

Bile blasphemy.

Where are these pretender godlings now I can not say, but our lord Asmodeus could bring fire to heavens had it been his will to do so.

One Infernal lord, One True Faith, One Eternal Empire.

Cheliax is Victorious on all fronts.

Truly, ours is the supreme nation rivaled by none in the past or the future, ruled by the wisest and the most beautiful queen to ever have sat on a throne! And in His Divine Glory, Holy Asmodeus has graced us with his Blessings and Guidance, cleansing us from the taint of pretender deities and their petty minions! Why others (such as Mairkurion) deny these facts, or our benevolent aims, I cannot comprehend; if only I could show these unenlightened primitives how fortunate and happy I am as a Chelaxian!

M'lord baron, my eyes are welling up with tears of pride and joy!

ALL HAIL ETERNAL CHELIAX! ALL HAIL THE BELOVED ASMODEUS! ALL HAIL THE BLESSED MAJESTRIX!

(I think it might be the time for the Dwarven Naked Beard Dance...)


Matthew Morris wrote:


Wow, the (in character) artist must be a real hardcase. "I'd love to help put the fire out, but I'm sketching here!"

Did you see those flames? The building is obviously a lost cause. Better to jot it down for posterity than waste time sweating with the bucket brigade.

It's better than the sketches one of our PCs does in our Legacy of Fire campaign. He's a wayfinder, but he's also a necromancer(phile). All his stuff is just creepy and wrong.

Dark Archive

Sara Otterstätter wrote:
Awww, thanks a lot. I am really glad, that you like my artwork. There was a question about the reason, why I like artists und musicians from Finland and Estonia (in case of Arvo Pärt). I am of half Finnish descent. My mother is from Finland. And so I have relatives in Finland and have also been in holidays there. Thanks again for your commendation and your critic. I appreciate it and will keep up my work and will work on to become better. :)

Glad to know I'm not the only Arvo fan out there. Most folks just look confused when I go all fanboy on him. :D

Dark Archive

Shadowborn wrote:
Matthew Morris wrote:


Wow, the (in character) artist must be a real hardcase. "I'd love to help put the fire out, but I'm sketching here!"

Did you see those flames? The building is obviously a lost cause. Better to jot it down for posterity than waste time sweating with the bucket brigade.

It's better than the sketches one of our PCs does in our Legacy of Fire campaign. He's a wayfinder, but he's also a necromancer(phile). All his stuff is just creepy and wrong.

Those are Sacred Flames of Asmodeus... so the building is *definitely* a lost cause! ;)


*Burns the heart and liver of a fish in the thread*

Dark Archive

Mairkurion {tm} wrote:
*Burns the heart and liver of a fish in the thread*

You're a making an offer to Asmodeus? Finally, Mairkurion, finally... ;P

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder Adventure Path / Kingmaker / Paizo Blog: Death at the Swaddled Otter! All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.