It's What's on the Inside that Counts

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

We did a few tricky things with the upcoming GameMastery Map Pack: Shops and Flip Mat: City Streets:

First: NEW FORMAT! Starting with Map Pack: Shops and going forward we'll be employing the same technology that makes our Flip Mats erasable wonders, resistant to wet-erase, dry-erase, even permanent markers. One of the things we heard again and again at conventions over the summer was that folks loved the Map Packs, but wished they could write on them. Great idea! And for everyone who wished for this: wish granted!

Second: They Sync Up! Look at your Map Pack: Shops. Now look at Flip Mat: City Streets. Now back to Map Pack: Shops. Notice anything? Map Pack: Shops shows the insides and multiple floors of the buildings on Flip Mat: City Streets! Confused? Just look at the clever little illustration Crystal put together showing exactly how these two useful map tools become even handier when used together.

Cartography by Corey Macourek. Graphic by Crystal Frasier

Third: Look at Map Pack: Shops. Close. No, real close. See that? Yeah, that's a little symbol of Desna, just like the one that showed up in the Rise of the Runelords Item Cards. Tricky huh? Since these are shops, cartographer Corey Macourek threw in a few bits of inventory from our past Item Card sets. They're really tiny, so it's still up to you what these shops carry, but for all of you now in the know, it's just a cool Easter egg.

So just a few new ideas to keep your game fresh and your gaming table looking great! We've also got a few more tricks in store for the Map Pack and Flip Mat lines coming down the road, so keep your eye out for what's ahead!

Wes Schneider
Managing Editor

More Paizo Blog.
Tags: Cards Corey Macourek Crystal Frasier GameMastery Maps
Dark Archive

Vunderbär!

Dark Archive

Now this is much more useful than a 3d hut.


On the wish list! :-)

Dark Archive

Well... darn... this might make me want to start to buy map packs... but how can I afford it? darn you paizo, darn you to heck.

Dark Archive

So, all we need now are some little plastic struts for when some of your PCs are downstairs, and others up ;)

Contributor, RPG Superstar 2009, RPG Superstar Judgernaut

Awesome. Real awesome.


I really like the syncing idea. And the writable idea. And the Easter egg idea. And the Flip-Mat idea. And also the Map Pack idea.

A "but really the up with which to sync" J


Paizo Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Dark_Mistress wrote:
Well... darn... this might make me want to start to buy map packs... but how can I afford it? darn you paizo, darn you to heck.

It is just another step in their sinister plan to make you a Paizo Superscriber.


Syncing the map packs together like this is a brilliant move. Well done, Paizo. I'm starting to seriously consider investing in some of these.

The Exchange

Sorry... just have to post this...

Quote:
...Look at your Map Pack: Shops. Now look at Flip Mat: City Streets. Now back to Map Pack: Shops. Notice anything?
End Quote...

It's on a horse?

The Exchange

Wander Weir wrote:
Syncing the map packs together like this is a brilliant move. Well done, Paizo. I'm starting to seriously consider investing in some of these.

I have pretty much all of them... and they are awesome. They are far superior to a certain competitor's product.

I have to admit, I have given Paizo a sizable amount of my disposable income over the years... and I feel better about it than the money I have given their former associates. I'm still using the Paizo stuff...

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
R. Doyle wrote:

Sorry... just have to post this...

Quote:
...Look at your Map Pack: Shops. Now look at Flip Mat: City Streets. Now back to Map Pack: Shops. Notice anything?
End Quote...

It's on a horse?

Should be accompanied by a clip of Jason saying:

"I'm the game designer your man could smell like !"

Scarab Sages

All I want now is the ability to buy a PDF of these things so I can use them in MapTools. :)


Map subscription incoming! Nice work guys!

Scarab Sages

Excellent!!!

Liberty's Edge

Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

Wait, I was under the impression that this was a one time deal.

Will all Future Flip-Mats have a Matching Map Pack in the future, or just this one?

Paizo Employee Franchise Manager

Karui Kage wrote:
All I want now is the ability to buy a PDF of these things so I can use them in MapTools. :)

Invest in a scanner.

Contributor

Dragnmoon wrote:

Wait, I was under the impression that this was a one time deal.

Will all Future Flip-Mats have a Matching Map Pack in the future, or just this one?

All future flip mats will NOT have matching map packs.

Paizo Employee Franchise Manager

F. Wesley Schneider wrote:
Dragnmoon wrote:

Wait, I was under the impression that this was a one time deal.

Will all Future Flip-Mats have a Matching Map Pack in the future, or just this one?

All future flip mats will NOT have matching map packs.

But Map Pack:Crypts and Flip-Mat:Necropolis will!

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Mark Moreland wrote:
F. Wesley Schneider wrote:
Dragnmoon wrote:

Wait, I was under the impression that this was a one time deal.

Will all Future Flip-Mats have a Matching Map Pack in the future, or just this one?

All future flip mats will NOT have matching map packs.
But Map Pack:Crypts and Flip-Mat:Necropolis will!

Yep—"not all will" would be better phrasing. We hope to do a lot more like this in the future.


This is a really neat idea. I'm thinking it would be great fun to buy both of these and set up an adventure to explore the abandoned village. I think my group would love exploring through the various buildings.

That would be a really fun product actually. A brief adventure packaged with a matching Map Pack and Flip Mat. It would be just the thing for a quick pick up and play session of gaming!


Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Lost Omens Subscriber
Berik wrote:

This is a really neat idea. I'm thinking it would be great fun to buy both of these and set up an adventure to explore the abandoned village. I think my group would love exploring through the various buildings.

That would be a really fun product actually. A brief adventure packaged with a matching Map Pack and Flip Mat. It would be just the thing for a quick pick up and play session of gaming!

They tried something like that with an adventure chest thing before. It contained the woodlands map, the haunted forest adventure, critical hits deck, and a couple other goodies. I don't think it did well enough for them to try again though. Part of it was the timing (I believe it was planned for a Christmas release but got delayed until January that year.)

I picked it up a few months back and it is well worth it if you don't have the included stuff.

Liberty's Edge

Paizo Charter Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Pathfinder Accessories Subscriber; Starfinder Charter Superscriber

I will have to rethink my canceling my Map Subscription. This gives options I did not have before, that may make up for to many "Blanks Sides" Though Even if I do re add the subscriptions, there will be maps that I will complain about having blank sides...

Silver Crusade

Oh man.

These are incredibly attractive.


Laser eye beams of hatred at Paizo...

...as I subscribe. *sigh*

I've always loved the flip mats (I own eight); never a fan of the map packs. However, laminating the map packs was inspired (and, as is often the case, obvious -- but only in retrospect).


deinol wrote:
Berik wrote:

This is a really neat idea. I'm thinking it would be great fun to buy both of these and set up an adventure to explore the abandoned village. I think my group would love exploring through the various buildings.

That would be a really fun product actually. A brief adventure packaged with a matching Map Pack and Flip Mat. It would be just the thing for a quick pick up and play session of gaming!

They tried something like that with an adventure chest thing before. It contained the woodlands map, the haunted forest adventure, critical hits deck, and a couple other goodies. I don't think it did well enough for them to try again though. Part of it was the timing (I believe it was planned for a Christmas release but got delayed until January that year.)

I picked it up a few months back and it is well worth it if you don't have the included stuff.

Cheers! I seem to vaguely recall hearing about those before now that you mention it, probably where 'my' idea came from. :)

They came out before I knew much about Paizo, so I might have to see about checking them out...

Dark Archive

Dragnmoon wrote:
Though Even if I do re add the subscriptions, there will be maps that I will complain about having blank sides...

I'm sure Paizo could set up a thread for that, so long as you don't mind them also setting up a bot to reply to your posts in the thread with "The other side *isn't* blank, it is textured, rather than cartographed, which most users find very useful."

;)

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Berik wrote:
deinol wrote:
Berik wrote:
That would be a really fun product actually. A brief adventure packaged with a matching Map Pack and Flip Mat. It would be just the thing for a quick pick up and play session of gaming!

They tried something like that with an adventure chest thing before. It contained the woodlands map, the haunted forest adventure, critical hits deck, and a couple other goodies. I don't think it did well enough for them to try again though. Part of it was the timing (I believe it was planned for a Christmas release but got delayed until January that year.)

I picked it up a few months back and it is well worth it if you don't have the included stuff.

Cheers! I seem to vaguely recall hearing about those before now that you mention it, probably where 'my' idea came from. :)

They came out before I knew much about Paizo, so I might have to see about checking them out...

We only did one—the GameMastery Treasure Chest. It's no longer available—but only because we sold out of Flip-Mat: Woodlands.


Pathfinder Adventure, Adventure Path, Lost Omens Subscriber
Vic Wertz wrote:
We only did one—the GameMastery Treasure Chest. It's no longer available—but only because we sold out of Flip-Mat: Woodlands.

I would think that if you still have a ton of the other components you could replace Woodlands with the newer Forest mat and nobody would notice.

I must admit it was hard to find on the site since it doesn't fall directly in any of the main lines/categories. I must have picked up one of the last ones; I'm glad I got it while Woodlands was still in stock.

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

deinol wrote:
I would think that if you still have a ton of the other components you could replace Woodlands with the newer Forest mat and nobody would notice.

Nope... the Woodlands mat is specifically used for the encounter maps in the adventure. (Just one example of several: "For this encounter, use the portion of the GameMastery Flip-Mat: Woodlands that depicts an altar flanked by two stone monoliths. Fold the Flip-Mat so that only that section is showing...")

deinol wrote:
I must admit it was hard to find on the site since it doesn't fall directly in any of the main lines/categories.

We'd mistakenly taken it down a while back—I just realize that and put it back up today (for historical purposes only).


This was a challenging set to complete. The big challenge was to work on the individual shops and then have them match perfectly with the larger flip mat. The biggest joy came from placing the little easter eggs everywhere. My favorite shop is the Curiosity Shop. The ambience is excellent, a little creepy with some wispy smoke curling through the shop from a skull-incense burner. Fun stuff. Can't wait to get my hands on both of these.


Corey Macourek wrote:
This was a challenging set to complete. The big challenge was to work on the individual shops and then have them match perfectly with the larger flip mat. The biggest joy came from placing the little easter eggs everywhere. My favorite shop is the Curiosity Shop. The ambience is excellent, a little creepy with some wispy smoke curling through the shop from a skull-incense burner. Fun stuff. Can't wait to get my hands on both of these.

I am curious why this was such a challenge. To me (as a complete amateur) it seems pretty simple to match up the outsides of the building. I expect there is more to it than that...

The Exchange

Pathfinder Maps, Pawns Subscriber

I love this concept.

As for the match-ups, perhaps the problem was the colors. Print colors for a flip mat and a map pack might come slightly off given the different processes involved. Scaling might also have been a problem.

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder Accessories / Paizo Blog: It's What's on the Inside that Counts All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Pathfinder Accessories

See Also: