GM Unsouled's Sky King's Tomb Campaign

Game Master SparkyDarren

Pathfinder 2e campaign, private recruitment.


51 to 87 of 87 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>

AC 17|Perc +6|Ref +7|Fort +7|Will +4| Pathbuilder Link

Having to nearly jog to keep up, Egón still manages to catch a few of the sights as they make their way through the city.

Upon reaching their destination he let's others take the lead, only nodding his greeting and adding in, I'm Egón. to the introductions. He accepts the proffered ale and also sits, eager to have some purpose while waiting for the meeting to take place.


Male Dwarf Wizard....HP 18 | AC 14 | Fort 5 .. Reflex 4 .. Will 7.. Perc 5 +2 vs Stonework.... Brown Sugar Stonemason's Eye |Quick Identification | Specialty Crafting | Widen Spell

Voicing his observations in a friendly, breaking the ice kind of way, Noticed you're repairing your fence, must be difficult to find a match to the older sections. What in blazes smashed in it? An what stone have you decided on for the new section?


A grin and a nod mark Ektar’s agreement with Balor’s sentiments as the host lands four full mugs of ale on the table and whisks off to the kitchen. ” Be right back and we’ll get into that.”

As promised, Ektar returns quickly and has a plate of steaming flatbread, obviously freshly baked, in each hand. ” Coarse and tasty, true to ma’s recipe.” Your host takes a seat facing you all and begins by taking a deep breath. ” Bought this place from Karya Tolphaga—a legend among horse breeders, though she recently retired. Figured it was time for me to strike it rich with ranching augdunars. We Gelderon folks, we keep properties in the clan when we can, so she sold it to me at a fair price just a few months back. Good deal, right?” He half-heartedly fingers the foam at the top of his ale as he answers his own question. “ Phah! Been hell, it has! Someone’s been breaking fences, hiding tools, bleeding the mules, and making a right mess of things!” He looks about with a scowl and sniffs derisively. “Much as I’ve kept watch, I haven’t been able to catch the vandals in action. Tried calling in family to help, but they’ve all politely declined, like I’m some pariah. This needs proper investigation, and I have some funds set aside to make it worth your while.”

Ektar looks at you all expectantly, he comes across as honest and seems genuine in wanting an explanation of his mystery. ” What do you say? I need answers here, want to be the investigators to relieve me of my gold?”


Male Dwarf Cleric (Warpriest) 1 Perception +6 AC 17 (19 w/shield) HP 21 Fort +8 Ref +3 Will +8

We are at your service.

That is quite the variety of issues you have been dealing with. Are you aware if the previous owner suffered any similar incidents. Perhaps we could talk with them?


Male Dwarf Fighter 1 Perception +6 AC 18 (20 w/shield) HP 23 Fort +8 Ref +6 Will +4

Sounds like a mischievous race at work. Fey? Goblins? Hard to believe they would be found this deep within Highhelm. Are there any sewers or tunnels under this property? Any of your neighbors suffering similar problems?


Male Dwarf Wizard....HP 18 | AC 14 | Fort 5 .. Reflex 4 .. Will 7.. Perc 5 +2 vs Stonework.... Brown Sugar Stonemason's Eye |Quick Identification | Specialty Crafting | Widen Spell

Mentally ticking off boxes the two brothers have addressed Alon adds, What do you mean, bleeding the mules? They left them alive then? An what kind of injuries are bleeding them? Cuts or bites? Are any of your mules about that we can have a look?


AC 17|Perc +6|Ref +7|Fort +7|Will +4| Pathbuilder Link

It does seem a bit odd, the nature of the damages. Any chance someone wanted this land and was unsuccessful in convincing your relative to sell it to them and is trying to "convince" you instead?

He looks around a bit. Maybe I'll see if I can spot any tracks or anything left behind. When was the last attack?


Fate, Chance and Destiny:

MAP - House of Six Nails (1A)
MAP - House of Six Nails (1B)

Ektar clasps hands with the cleric, sealing the deal. '' Excellent, I appreciate that.” The rancher responds to the brothers first, Balor and then Drakan. ” Karya Tolphaga was the previous owner and, as far as she told me, had none of these issues. Since I took ownership there were some mishaps early on. Damage really got bad around three weeks ago, and nearly every day there’s some new misfortune. Honestly, it’s like the House of Six Nails refers to some Kuthite torment!” Ektar takes a pull of his ale before continuing. ” You’re welcome to talk to anyone you like, they won't talk to me. The whole of the clan helped me wrangle the gold for a down payment, but since then, they’ve shunned me like I’ve done something wrong.” Seeming to be anxious to switch topics, your host jumps to answering the next question in line. ” I agree that goblins would be unlikely and no, I’m not aware of any possible access under here.” Ektar stamps a foot on the ground, indicating what he meant by ‘here’. ” As you can see, it’s quite a ways to the neighbour’s houses from here, I’ve asked but no one else seems to be sharing these troubles.”

” Bottoms up and follow me!” Ektar waves you all to follow him as he leaves through the cabin's back door, digging out a specific key from his ring as he leads you. ” This way. I’ll show you the stable area, let you see the animals and answer the rest of your questions as we walk.” Once you’re all outside and following, Ektar resumes his response, this time directing his reply to Aloniori. ” Bleeding is a process of strengthening the mules for their workload in the upcoming season. In the winter months, a controlled amount of blood is removed from the animals, the process their body undergoes to replace the vital fluid is what fortifies them for the work to come. I referenced it only to mean that they were bled but not by enough to truly harm the animal. Instigation, not mutilation.”

’ As for your inquiry…” Ektar speaks to Egon, ” I haven’t really made any enemies around these parts. And as far as I know, I was one of the first people to make Karya an offer and she didn’t advertise the sale as a courtesy to me; to give me the time I needed to get the funds together.”

You are led to the smaller of two buildings in the yard, your host unlocks the door and sweeps an arm as he holds the door. '' Help yourself and take your time. It's a single room, about twenty feet square, shouldn’t have any trouble but if you do I’ll be just out here, feeding the animals in the pen. Once you've had a look in here I’ll take you to the barn.”

Ektar lets you hold the door for each other as he leaves you to your business and departs to tend to his own chores.


Male Dwarf Cleric (Warpriest) 1 Perception +6 AC 17 (19 w/shield) HP 21 Fort +8 Ref +3 Will +8
GM Unsouled wrote:
You’re welcome to talk to anyone you like, they won't talk to me. The whole of the clan helped me wrangle the gold for a down payment, but since then, they’ve shunned me like I’ve done something wrong.” Seeming to be anxious to switch topics, your host jumps to answering the next question in line.

Balor raises an eyebrow at Ektar's comment, and his apparent desire to avoid discussing it further.

Before Ektar leaves to do his shores, Balor would ask him, "Are you positive your haven't done anything to turn your clan against you?" If you don't want to retcon, that's fine. Either way, Balor would like to Sense Motive regarding this comment.


Male Dwarf Fighter 1 Perception +6 AC 18 (20 w/shield) HP 23 Fort +8 Ref +6 Will +4

Drakan starts rummaging around the apparent workshop, looking for anything that might be a clue to explain the strange goings on described by Ektar. Seek action please.


Male Dwarf Cleric (Warpriest) 1 Perception +6 AC 17 (19 w/shield) HP 21 Fort +8 Ref +3 Will +8

After ensuring that Ektar has left, Balor joins his brother in searching the building, quietly adding, We might do well to talk to the neighbors and his clan. See if they have any information or ideas as to what is going on. There is always the chance that Ektar isn't being totally honest with us. He might not even be aware of it himself.

Seak action as well and then suggesting we might Gather Information after our search, should it bear no fruit.


Male Dwarf Wizard....HP 18 | AC 14 | Fort 5 .. Reflex 4 .. Will 7.. Perc 5 +2 vs Stonework.... Brown Sugar Stonemason's Eye |Quick Identification | Specialty Crafting | Widen Spell

Hmmm, The practice of bleeding an animal to fortify it is something Aloniori had not heard of before and his hand subconsciously gives the side of his face a quick scratch as he files this bit of information away.

Seek Action, looking for other unobserved ways into the stable


AC 17|Perc +6|Ref +7|Fort +7|Will +4| Pathbuilder Link

Egón joins the others in searching the area, paying special attention to any evidence of tool, tooth, or claw marks.

Technically seek is a turn based action. Search is the exploration activity.


Male Dwarf Cleric (Warpriest) 1 Perception +6 AC 17 (19 w/shield) HP 21 Fort +8 Ref +3 Will +8

Whatever nerd. :D We are on a battlemap. Sense Motive isn't an exploration activity. Exploration activities cover activities done while also travelling. "In exploration mode, each player who wants to do something beyond just traveling chooses an exploration activity for their character." We ain't "travelling" so we ain't in exploration mode, we are in encounter mode. :)


Fate, Chance and Destiny:

Balor, SM (vs DC 10): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16
Balor, Seek/Search (PERC vs DC 18): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8
Drakan, Seek/Search (PERC vs DC 18): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19
Aloniori, Seek/Search (PERC vs DC 18): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25
Egon, Seek/Search (PERC vs DC 18): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25

Maps
House of Six Nails (2)

Balor’s question catches Ektar’s attention as he releases the door to you but halts his departure. " As positive as I am that these ‘issues’ of mine are mine alone and did not plague the previous owner, Karya. Oddly, the whole of the clan had no trouble talking to me when I asked them for the loans but as soon as I started to gripe about my recent goings-on here…..” He leaves the building, the rest of his sentence trailing off into what sounds like the beginning of a dwarven grumbling session.

It only takes you a few minutes to search the entirety of the shop; it is small and seems orderly, aside from the newest disturbance, and there are enough of you to navigate the space quickly. Largely unchanged over Ektar’s tenure, this large shed houses various tools for grooming, cleaning, and feeding livestock. That includes a small furnace suitable for heating and shaping horseshoes, with a modest stockpile of coal and iron bars. Your search yields nothing in the way of secret doors or hidden items but you do notice several clear signs of damage that look fairly recent, recent enough not to have been cleaned up or disturbed yet.

The first thing you notice is a set of gashes in a stool, their shape and angle seem to show that someone struck it a few times with a small blade, leaving deep gouges that indicate considerable strength but little subtlety. Further into the shop, at the end of one of the benches, the spilled grain bags show signs of being slashed and then neatly overturned, again showing the culprit has considerable strength. Above the workstation, because their owner has a specific place marked on a shadow board, you find it easy to tell that a random assortment of tools were missing though not anything tied to a particular task or trade. The last oddity added to your list is that there are about a dozen iron bars jammed into the unlit furnace. Even without skill as a smith, you are certain that this is not how one approaches the art of blacksmithing.


Balor:

You subtly scrutinize the man, Ektar, as he speaks to both you and your companions. Though you don't think he is outright lying to you, you can't help but feel like something in his words just doesn't fit right..... a willful omission?


Male Dwarf Cleric (Warpriest) 1 Perception +6 AC 17 (19 w/shield) HP 21 Fort +8 Ref +3 Will +8

Are the slashes on the legs of the stool or the seat? Trying the determine the likely size of the one making the marks. Does the cuts in the stool look like an attempt to weaken it so that the stool would collapse when sat upon?

Balor observes the gouges in the stool and the slashes in the grain bags. Why attack a stool or a sack of grain? Someone having a tantrum perhaps? Turning his attention to the bars in the furnace, he removes one and examines it more closely.Did they want to forge something but couldn't light the furnace? he ponders out loud.


Male Dwarf Fighter 1 Perception +6 AC 18 (20 w/shield) HP 23 Fort +8 Ref +6 Will +4

Was the door to the shed open when we approached? Does it have a means to lock it? Other than the door are there any other means of entering the shack? Including for tiny or small sized individuals.

Drakan steps outside to look for tracks around the shed.


Balor Blackforge wrote:

Are the slashes on the legs of the stool or the seat? Trying the determine the likely size of the one making the marks. Does the cuts in the stool look like an attempt to weaken it so that the stool would collapse when sat upon?

The damages to the stool are in the seat portion. As near as any of you can tell, the cut grooves don't resemble any form of writing, nor do they look like they were placed with much thought or intention in their specific placement.


Male Dwarf Wizard....HP 18 | AC 14 | Fort 5 .. Reflex 4 .. Will 7.. Perc 5 +2 vs Stonework.... Brown Sugar Stonemason's Eye |Quick Identification | Specialty Crafting | Widen Spell

Stepping back to take in the entire scene Alon grumbles, Looks too random. And there's no real rhythm or reason ta doing any of this, almost like fey mischief. 'Cept, if am not mistaken, fey aren't usually this violent. Would you agree? Alon throws the question out to anyone paying attention. And what about these slashes? Alon bends in for a closer look of the marks trying to determine if any of them were created by a tool, say by the ones missing from the board, of by natural means like being struck on stone or perhaps a claw. Could a knife have done this Drakan?

More recall knowledge checking


AC 17|Perc +6|Ref +7|Fort +7|Will +4| Pathbuilder Link

At Ektar's mention of the clan's change in demeanor, Egón queries, Is you clan a superstitious bunch at all? and I guess the obvious question is, do you have any enemies or anyone you suspect of this, even something trivial could be relevant.


Fate, Chance and Destiny:

Draken PERC: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18

Drakan Blackforge wrote:

Was the door to the shed open when we approached? Does it have a means to lock it? Other than the door are there any other means of entering the shack? Including for tiny or small sized individuals.

Drakan steps outside to look for tracks around the shed.

The door has a standard keyed lock and it was locked when you arrived; Ektar unlocked it to let you guys in.

As you make a lap around the structure you are unable to find any signs of tracks or trespassing. Aside from the door you entered through there is only one other opening; the large double doors facing east. Approaching these doors, you can see they are closed and barred from the inside. The
only other conceivable opening could possibly be the chimney for the forge but that was currently filled with raw material and it was clearly not constructed to facilitate something going through in that direction.


Male Dwarf Cleric (Warpriest) 1 Perception +6 AC 17 (19 w/shield) HP 21 Fort +8 Ref +3 Will +8
Aloniori wrote:
Looks too random. And there's no real rhythm or reason ta doing any of this, almost like fey mischief. 'Cept, if am not mistaken, fey aren't usually this violent. Would you agree?

I'm sure some fey are capable of such behavior. Could be the work restless spirits perhaps? Might explain why Ektar is being shunned as well? He upset someone's ancestors or something?


Male Dwarf Fighter 1 Perception +6 AC 18 (20 w/shield) HP 23 Fort +8 Ref +6 Will +4

Drakan re-enters the workshop. Doesn't appear to be any tracks outside.

Aloniori wrote:
Could a knife have done this Drakan?

Some edged implement I'm sure. Perhaps just something taken from the work bench?

Drakan takes to re-examining the work bench and forge, searching high and low, and rummaging through crates and barrels for additional clues.


Male Dwarf Cleric (Warpriest) 1 Perception +6 AC 17 (19 w/shield) HP 21 Fort +8 Ref +3 Will +8
Egón Helmcleaver wrote:
Is you clan a superstitious bunch at all? and I guess the obvious question is, do you have any enemies or anyone you suspect of this, even something trivial could be relevant.

We should talk to someone from his clan for certain. Neighbors. The previous owner if they are still in Highhelm.


AC 17|Perc +6|Ref +7|Fort +7|Will +4| Pathbuilder Link

I can't remember if it was asked previously but was everything still locked up when he found the damage or was the door open?

Egon checks the door for signs it was forced or that the lock had been picked and then checks around for any possibly secret/hidden entrances.


Male Dwarf Cleric (Warpriest) 1 Perception +6 AC 17 (19 w/shield) HP 21 Fort +8 Ref +3 Will +8

Asked and answered in last GM post.


AC 17|Perc +6|Ref +7|Fort +7|Will +4| Pathbuilder Link

I can't believe I missed that! Still want to check the lock for possible tampering.


Fate, Chance and Destiny:

Aloniori Seek (slashes): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23
Drakan, Seek (throughout): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25
Egon, Seek (lock): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15

House of Six Nails (2)

Aloniori spends significant effort looking at the slashes in the stool before coming to the conclusion that these were most definitely made by a small blade. As near as he can tell, none of the missing tools seem to fit the damages.

Returning from his search outside, Drakan goes through anything within his reach with meticulous attention to detail. Though his examination is thorough, no further clues are revealed.

It took Egon only a few moments to inspect the locking mechanism of the door, there wasn’t much to examine here and no new details were found. Ektar did have to use his key to let you guys in.


AC 17|Perc +6|Ref +7|Fort +7|Will +4| Pathbuilder Link

Just wondered if someone had picked the lock and then relocked it when they left, with a pick, and there were tell tale scratches or something.

It doesn't seem like there is much to be found here. This really is a head-scratcher. Maybe we should move on to these suspicious relatives. And maybe stakeout the property over night.


Male Dwarf Cleric (Warpriest) 1 Perception +6 AC 17 (19 w/shield) HP 21 Fort +8 Ref +3 Will +8

What about the rest of the property? The larger building, which I presume to be the barn for the mules?

GM wrote:
You are led to the smaller of two buildings in the yard, your host unlocks the door and sweeps an arm as he holds the door.

Corral and building pictured in map 1A.


AC 17|Perc +6|Ref +7|Fort +7|Will +4| Pathbuilder Link

Of course, of course! Hopefully something will turn up there, but whatever did this seems to be pretty skilled at removing their traces, or not leaving any to start with.

Egon attempts to cover for forgetting about the barn.


Male Dwarf Wizard....HP 18 | AC 14 | Fort 5 .. Reflex 4 .. Will 7.. Perc 5 +2 vs Stonework.... Brown Sugar Stonemason's Eye |Quick Identification | Specialty Crafting | Widen Spell

As the others talk of moving on to interviews and stakeouts, Alon mutters a series of arcane words (Casts: Detect Magic). Unfocusing his eyes, Aloniroi directs a fraction of the ever present currents lingering in the ether to combine. Directly before his eyes, a pair of invisible lenses form through which the ginger haired dwarf takes in the contents of the room.


Male Dwarf Fighter 1 Perception +6 AC 18 (20 w/shield) HP 23 Fort +8 Ref +6 Will +4

So to the barn, and then talk to the neighbors, clan members and the previous owner.

Over to the barn and then either Gather Info, summation narration or role-play the rest?


Fate, Chance and Destiny:

House of Six Nails (3)

Aloniori:

As you scan the entirety of the workshop you don't reveal any sign of a magical aura.

As if coordinated with Drakan’s declaration, Ektar’s head pokes into the doorway. ” Well then, it appears my timing is bang on; I was just coming to check in and see how you were making out.” Opening the door and stepping back, your guide directs you to the barn before closing the door behind you and inserting his key to re-secure the lock.

CRASH! Metal on stone. The sound seems to have originated from somewhere inside the barn which you are heading toward. The clang rings out across the property, eventually being cut off by the rancher’s knowing complaint. ” Here we go, that’ll just be where it starts.”

Ektar takes you from the south-facing door of the workshop to the double doors in the northwest face of the barn. ” As you probably noticed from outside, this is a three-sectioned building but inside it is continuous through to the doors leading to the pen outside.” Again holding the door for you to enter Ektar takes a permanent-looking stance outside the building.

You enter the barn and let your eyes adjust a moment as you take in your surroundings. Although designed for housing and training horses, the stable itself has been partly renovated. Many of its inner walls are knocked out while the columns remain, creating a more open space for augdunars to shelter in small groups when they’re not grazing outside Highhelm. The ground floor has over a foot of compacted soil sitting atop the cavern’s stone, scattered with straw and droppings the exhausted Ektar hasn’t cleaned up yet. A few small traps for catching pests are set along the periphery. Several augdunar droppings are smeared near the ceiling at one end of the barn. At the other end, a hay loft creates a partial second floor, though the ladder that should access the loft was, as your host mentioned earlier, among the first casualties in any of the buildings.

The marching order is fully adjustable if you want something else.


Male Dwarf Cleric (Warpriest) 1 Perception +6 AC 17 (19 w/shield) HP 21 Fort +8 Ref +3 Will +8

Balor moves forward cautiously, trying to see the entirety of the structure and spot whatever may have made the crashing noise. [Seek action please] He call out in a non-threatening voice and he goes, Hello? Anyone there? We mean you no harm.


Male Dwarf Fighter 1 Perception +6 AC 18 (20 w/shield) HP 23 Fort +8 Ref +6 Will +4

It might mean us harm though good brother, Drakan thinks to himself. His hands move to grip his weapons, but he does not draw them yet. Like Balor, Drakan looks high and low for anything that seems out of place, or a threat. [Seek action]

51 to 87 of 87 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Unsouled's Sky King's Tomb All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.