EbonFist's #10-20 Countdown to Round Mountain (Inactive)

Game Master EbonFist

Maps and Slides


1 to 50 of 229 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>

Ruby Phoenix Tournament Games I've Played (Session Tracker)

"“After the sweltering heat of Nagajor, some might consider the coolness of these tunnels delightful, but we have little time to rest,” Venture-Captain Amara Li begins, addressing a sizeable caravan of Pathfinder agents, laborers, and nagaji guides. “By my calculations, we are now about two thousand feet below the surface, which places us in Nar-Voth. Welcome to the Darklands, Pathfinders. We’ll establish a base camp here.”

Grand Lodge

open | NG male (he/him) human inquisitor (Nethys) 7 | AC 22 (T 16, FF 17) | HP 52/52 | F +8, R +9, W +9 | I +7, P +12 | Spells: 1st (5/5) 2nd (4/4) 3rd (2/2) | Judg (3/3) Bane (10/10) | Active Conditions: none

Bocke looks around nervously. It's been a while since he's been on a mission, and never one this so far out of his ... depth.

Dark Archive

Ganzi Bloodrager 5/DD 6 | HP 136/136 (169*) | Resistance (5 Acid, Electricity, Sonic, Fire +10*) DR 5/magic |AC 23 (*22) (32 buffed) |Rage*:16/16 BW 2/2 Quibble 1/1, Spells 1st: 3/3 2nd: 2/2|CMB +13 (15*) (+2 trip), CMD 29 | F: +16/*+19, R: +9, W: +11/*+13 (+2 charm, 1/1 Reroll) |Perc: +6 Dipl +14 DV 60', Blind: 30'| 30ft | Conditions:

"Sounds good, Captain" Kal says, haphazardly leaning against a cavern wall. "I assume the mess will be open soon?"

HIs short black hair furls around despite the lack of any air movement in the cave- and his skin takes on an even clearer shade of red in the torch light. His dark eyes and nails glint in the dancing flame and a sly smile seems permanently affixed to his face.

"Until then, I suppose we will have to use our personal supplies of whiskey. Can I offer any of you gents a pour?" he says to those standing around him, but to no one in particular- as he produces a bottle full of amber liquid from somewhere within his robes.

Liberty's Edge

Male Half-Elf Sniper 6th / Urban Ranger 3rd | HP:77/77| AC:28 T:18 FF:20 | CMB:9 CMD:25 | Saves F:+8 R:+15 W:+5 (+2 vs enchantments) | Init:+12 | Per: +15| 30 ft

A figure emerges from the shadows…

Stealth: 1d20 + 26 ⇒ (13) + 26 = 39

…in a dark green cloak…he pulls back his head to reveal dark wavy hair and sharp pointy ears. He bows curtly, smiling, as he says, ”Mythryndyr at your service…but my friends call me Myth…”

Scarab Sages

F Kitsune Bard 10|HP:56/73|AC: 25 (F:18,T:14)|F:6 R:11 W:9| CMB:+5 CMD:19|INIT:+5|PERC:+5|

"Well, I'm not sure I'd call either a sweltering jungle or a dark underground tunnel 'delightful', but this should at least be interesting." says Aja in a cheerfully theatrical aside to her companions.

Aja is one of those people for whom everything just seems to come easily. Smart, pretty, funny, talented, inspiring at times, she seems to just float effortlessly through most situations and has the aura of someone for whom everything is certainly going to work out just fine.

At first glance she appears human, but has an intriguing tendency to not always look completely consistent. Her eyes shift in color slightly from day to day, as does her hair, and the placement of a few tasteful Varisian tattoos shift a little from time to time. At the moment her hair is a breezy auburn and her eyes are a greenish-gold, a striking combination even when one is crawling along in the dark. A magical bag seems to hold a nearly endless supply of tasteful, practical, fashionable clothes for any occasion, and she never seems to wear the same thing twice.

As the caravan has progressed she has been outgoing and friendly toward all, making a point of trying to get to know everyone, and gently probing them for details about themselves. She's also been a frequent source of amusing anecdotes and obscure but intriguing legends and folk stories. Often flirty but never lewd, she seems like one of those people who can make anyone feel like the center of the universe just by smiling at them.

When the halt is called, Aja takes a moment to set down her pack and stretch her back and shoulders, then looks about curiously at the features of Nar-Voth... or lack thereof. But her attention is quickly drawn to Kal'ryon and his offer of whiskey.

"Ah, ah! Ladies first!" she jokes, pulling an empty potion flask from the interior of her pack and bouncing to the front of the line. "How did you know exactly what I wanted?" she asks the ganzi, leaning toward him conspiratorially.

"What shall we toast to?"

The Exchange

Male LN Dwarf from Qadira | Follower of Erastil | Monk 3 & Inquisitor 7 | Freedom of Movement 3/3 | Spells 1st 5/6, 2nd 5/5, 3rd 3/3 | HP 106/106 | Normal: AC 22 T 20 FF 20 | CMB +6, CMD 27 | F: +18, R: +12, W: +22 | Init: +9 | Perc: +22, SM: +18, Diplomacy: +26 | Discern Lies 7/7 | BoSpeed 3/10 | Reroll 1/1 | Lucky Horseshoe 1/1 | Bane 15/15 | Perfect Strike 4/4 | Darkvision | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: Divine Favor

Background:

Almaas is a Dwarf from a Kelish merchant family that always felt that community, tradition and fairness are the values that should be inherently present in any civilisation .

Thus, he embraces the lessons of Erastil and tries to use his family fortune to bring prosperity through fair trade. He often comes across as arrogant and patronizing.

He can be a stoic negotiator but has an empathic approach. He is very perceptive and understands people's motives which is very important to him as a merchant and a pillar of his community.

He typically wears no armor and during battle usually tries to use his bow to attack but also uses his legs and fists if necessary.

Almaas' family has deep roots in the Exchange faction of the Pathfinder Society.

Thus, the Kargar brothers Almaas, Jangafzaar, Toral and Sadaf are all members of the Pathfinder Society.

Almaas is a Dwarven archer and devout follower of Erastil.

He wears no armor, is well groomed and has a slightly arrogant and distant behavior.

"Ahh Kal'ryon … good to see you again! Oh and Myth and Bocke! I heard that you are both experts on the tapestry! I will follow your lead as experience is very important!"

He bows slightly.

”Almaas is my name!!"

Almaas seems to be in the mood for a lecture. He looks at his fellow Pathfinders, "I want you all to behave and be civil as this is a Society mission in a very delicate environment."

He looks at all of you like a father that teaches his children.

"For once, I hope that you have listened to the preaching of followers of Erastil in your communities! It is always important to feel a spark of family, community, and duty in your hearts! I will help you with that! If we show these traits then we will have no problem.“

You clearly notice that Almaas can really go on one’s nerves with his preaching.

He turns to VC Li.

"It is an honor to work with you Venture Captain."

The Exchange

Scouting SOP:
Dist: 30-60' ahead of party /Move spd:20'. Stealth Scar Take10=34. Pop Take10=35. Perception Scar Take10=29 (33 v Traps)+Trap spotter Pop Take10=26+Detect Magic & Evil
UBar1/URog9, HP96/96 - AC 23, T 17, FF 23/ F+9, R+14, W+8/ CMD 24, CMB +7/ Per +19(Dk Vis), Init +9, Mv 40
Poppy:
F/Lyrakien, HP48/48- AC22,T16,FF18/DR 5(evil)Immune elec, petrify;Res cold & fire 10/ F6,R10,W6/CMD 16,CMB 9/DV 60 ft., LL vis vision; Perc +16 , Init +8, Move 30/60ft
Constant det evil & magic

From the darkness a reply to Ajas question floats in "Too a successful mission with few injuries and much gold"

A lithe cat-woman dressed in dark tones and finely made mail of delicate black chain slides into view, she only carries a beautifully made crossbow and a quality haversack.

Beside the cat-woman is a 2' tall angelic woman riding a black and white spotted dog (with a saddle!) whilst playing a jaunty tune on a mandolin. She also appears to be dressed for adventure in a fine leather jerkin and carrying a child-sized crossbow that still looks oversized for the small woman. The dog lets out a playful bark. The angel calls out “Now touring the Underdark! The Scarlet and Poppy Show with Rusty the Wonderdog! Acrobatic displays! Magic! Death-defying tricks of derring-do!"

The catwoman speaks as she smiles a toothy too-wide smile ”Scarlet and this is my fellow aider and abetter, Poppy”

Dark Archive

Ganzi Bloodrager 5/DD 6 | HP 136/136 (169*) | Resistance (5 Acid, Electricity, Sonic, Fire +10*) DR 5/magic |AC 23 (*22) (32 buffed) |Rage*:16/16 BW 2/2 Quibble 1/1, Spells 1st: 3/3 2nd: 2/2|CMB +13 (15*) (+2 trip), CMD 29 | F: +16/*+19, R: +9, W: +11/*+13 (+2 charm, 1/1 Reroll) |Perc: +6 Dipl +14 DV 60', Blind: 30'| 30ft | Conditions:

A swirl of air movement kicks up as Kal pours the whiskey into the flask provided by Aja. "Aren't you the polite one- I was just going to hand you the bottle...", once again a coy smile slides across his face.

Looking around, Kal now notices the familiar faces of Alma's, Myth, and Bocke. There is a moment of respect, and a knowing nod, before Kal continues with his showmanship.

"Not much of an expert in the Tapestry- as least not any of the important bits. We did meet the Ruby Phoenix once but..." he trails off. "All this magic stuff is a bit over my head- I am just happy to be the muscle and cash the coins"

His head turns to Scarlet, and her proposed toast. "See, I was just going to suggest a toast to Chaos... but yours is probably a bit more appropriate". After the pouring is complete, he raises the bottle before drinking.

...But also, Chaos.

Scarab Sages

F Kitsune Bard 10|HP:56/73|AC: 25 (F:18,T:14)|F:6 R:11 W:9| CMB:+5 CMD:19|INIT:+5|PERC:+5|
Scarlet Scoundrel wrote:
From the darkness a reply to Ajas question floats in "Too a successful mission with few injuries and much gold"

Aja smiles at Scarlet and raises her potion flask of whiskey. "Couldn't have said it better myself." she says, then gamely tosses back a swallow. She winces a little afterwards at the sting of the alcohol, but otherwise beams with pleasure at the experience through squinty eyes. "Hoo! Good morning!"

Scarlet Scoundrel wrote:
The catwoman speaks as she smiles a toothy too-wide smile ”Scarlet and this is my fellow aider and abetter, Poppy”

"Dogs and cats, living together. Must be the end times." quips Aja. She looks the little angel over curiously. "Tell me Scarlet, how did you and Poppy meet?"

Scarab Sages

F Kitsune Bard 10|HP:56/73|AC: 25 (F:18,T:14)|F:6 R:11 W:9| CMB:+5 CMD:19|INIT:+5|PERC:+5|
Almaas Kargar wrote:

”Almaas is my name!!"

Almaas seems to be in the mood for a lecture. He looks at his fellow Pathfinders, "I want you all to behave and be civil as this is a Society mission in a very delicate environment."

"I'm *always* nice. Even when I'm not." counters Aja.

Almaas Kargar wrote:
"For once, I hope that you have listened to the preaching of followers of Erastil in your communities! It is always important to feel a spark of family, community, and duty in your hearts! I will help you with that! If we show these traits then we will have no problem.“

"Sounds like you must have had some bad experiences in the past." says Aja wryly. "But I'm sure we all agree with the advantages of working together and behaving honorably. That's what the Pathfinders should be all about, right? Now, stop dwarf-splaining and come have a drink with us, to seal our dedication to the mission." She lifts her drink again. "To Erastil's antlers!"

Scarab Sages

F Kitsune Bard 10|HP:56/73|AC: 25 (F:18,T:14)|F:6 R:11 W:9| CMB:+5 CMD:19|INIT:+5|PERC:+5|
Kal'ryon wrote:
A swirl of air movement kicks up as Kal pours the whiskey into the flask provided by Aja. "Aren't you the polite one- I was just going to hand you the bottle...", once again a coy smile slides across his face.

"Politeness is for strangers. I save my rudeness for my friends." answers Aja, briefly tickling Kal'ryon's chin with her finger.

Kal'ryon wrote:
"Not much of an expert in the Tapestry- as least not any of the important bits. We did meet the Ruby Phoenix once but..." he trails off. "All this magic stuff is a bit over my head- I am just happy to be the muscle and cash the coins"

"I've read up a little on it. And I've talked with several people who've gone there, and even one who went to the Ruby Phoenix tournament and helped win the Tapestry in the first place... Wait, you *met* Hao Jin? Fascinating! What was she like? Was her hair actually red?"

Kal'ryon wrote:

His head turns to Scarlet, and her proposed toast. "See, I was just going to suggest a toast to Chaos... but yours is probably a bit more appropriate". After the pouring is complete, he raises the bottle before drinking.

...But also, Chaos.

"Ooo, I'm not sure Erastil will approve." says Aja with cheeky solemnity."Maybe we should just leave it at... interesting?"

The Exchange

Scouting SOP:
Dist: 30-60' ahead of party /Move spd:20'. Stealth Scar Take10=34. Pop Take10=35. Perception Scar Take10=29 (33 v Traps)+Trap spotter Pop Take10=26+Detect Magic & Evil
UBar1/URog9, HP96/96 - AC 23, T 17, FF 23/ F+9, R+14, W+8/ CMD 24, CMB +7/ Per +19(Dk Vis), Init +9, Mv 40
Poppy:
F/Lyrakien, HP48/48- AC22,T16,FF18/DR 5(evil)Immune elec, petrify;Res cold & fire 10/ F6,R10,W6/CMD 16,CMB 9/DV 60 ft., LL vis vision; Perc +16 , Init +8, Move 30/60ft
Constant det evil & magic
Aja wrote:

"Dogs and cats, living together. Must be the end times." quips Aja. She looks the little angel over curiously. "Tell me Scarlet, how did you and Poppy meet?"

"The end times are always nigh if we listen to all the clerics" the cat smiles, "We're performers! Poppy and I met in Varisia, one circus led to another, and now here we are - a traveling circus in miniature. Of course it turns out we had quite a few complementary skills we employ at the behest of the Society, mostly in the collections and acquisitions line of work"

Scarab Sages

F Kitsune Bard 10|HP:56/73|AC: 25 (F:18,T:14)|F:6 R:11 W:9| CMB:+5 CMD:19|INIT:+5|PERC:+5|
Scarlet Scoundrel wrote:
"We're performers! Poppy and I met in Varisia, one circus led to another, and now here we are - a traveling circus in miniature. Of course it turns out we had quite a few complementary skills we employ at the behest of the Society, mostly in the collections and acquisitions line of work"

"Oh, I love the circus! Especially Varisian ones -- the fortune tellers, the carnie games, the food, all of that! Of course I may be projecting about circuses a bit, I've sometimes heard they can be difficult lives as well, I hope that wasn't the case for you and Poppy... and Rusty of course!" Aja squats down to pet Rusty about the ears.

"Well, if you're called on to perform, I dabble a bit in music. Perhaps I can help you out with a little dramatic accompaniment?"


Ruby Phoenix Tournament Games I've Played (Session Tracker)

"Before we begin your briefing, we'll set up base camp here," Venture Captain Li says then puts action to words, organizing the set up and directing the gathered Pathfinders.

When that bustle is completed, she gathers the team together as well as several other teams of Pathfinders.

"As you may or may not be aware, the Hao Jin tapestry has become unstable and threatens to disintegrate entirely. Larger than the loss of such a wondrous artifact is the fact that countless lives will be lost if this happens as the denizens of the tapestry will either be destroyed or cast out into the ethereal plane.

"But, we believe that we've determined a solution. Some of you know of Round Mountain, I believe at least one of you has been to Round Mountain. In ages past, a rat folk army attacked the surface. Hao Jin used her powers to take a portion of the Darklands into her tapestry. This collapsed many of the tunnels the rat folk were using and cut off many others, halting the attack.

"That enormous ball of stone has been in the tapestry ever since and our plan is to use it as a vessel to return as many inhabitants of the tapestry as possible back to the material plane."

She pauses.

“According to our Master of Spells, Sorryna Westyr we have fifteen days before they transport Round Mountain back to the Material Plane. In that time, we must locate the mountain’s original location, explore and document the site, convince anyone who might be residing in the area to evacuate, and evacuate ourselves.

“Unfortunately, we do not know the exact location of the original site. Most of the surface access tunnels that led there collapsed under their own weight once Hao Jin carved out Round Mountain. However, we have managed to piece together folklore from up above—mostly stories to frighten children—and purchased information about various smuggling and trade routes between the surface and the Diguo-Dashu. Thus, based on the intelligence available, I am certain that a large cavern known as the Old Rat’s Stolen Heart is the site of Round Mountain’s return. The name is clearly a reference to the goddess Lao Shu Po and the supposed heartbreak the remaining ratfolk experienced after their defeat. According to our informants, though, the cavern has an easier nickname—the Broken Ticker. This is our only opportunity to explore the Broken Ticker before the return of Round Mountain destroys potentially half a millennium of Darklands history.

“We plan to send a small team down each of the secondary and tertiary tunnels that may lead to the large cavern that was once Round Mountain. Remember, this is not a competition. Good cooperation and communication between the teams may be vital to the success of this mission. I shall brief each team individually, but, if there are any questions for the greater group, now is the time to ask."

Liberty's Edge

Male Half-Elf Sniper 6th / Urban Ranger 3rd | HP:77/77| AC:28 T:18 FF:20 | CMB:9 CMD:25 | Saves F:+8 R:+15 W:+5 (+2 vs enchantments) | Init:+12 | Per: +15| 30 ft

Myth arches an eyebrow. ”Uh…how are we suppose to communicate with other teams since they’ll be likely a good distance from us? And, aside from what I assume will be ratfolk, what other opposition are we likely to encounter?”

The Exchange

Scouting SOP:
Dist: 30-60' ahead of party /Move spd:20'. Stealth Scar Take10=34. Pop Take10=35. Perception Scar Take10=29 (33 v Traps)+Trap spotter Pop Take10=26+Detect Magic & Evil
UBar1/URog9, HP96/96 - AC 23, T 17, FF 23/ F+9, R+14, W+8/ CMD 24, CMB +7/ Per +19(Dk Vis), Init +9, Mv 40
Poppy:
F/Lyrakien, HP48/48- AC22,T16,FF18/DR 5(evil)Immune elec, petrify;Res cold & fire 10/ F6,R10,W6/CMD 16,CMB 9/DV 60 ft., LL vis vision; Perc +16 , Init +8, Move 30/60ft
Constant det evil & magic
Aja wrote:
"I've sometimes heard they can be difficult lives as well, I hope that wasn't the case for you and Poppy... and Rusty of course!"

"Quite enjoyable and lucrative when uncle Guaril is the ringleader"

***

Scarlet and Poppy listen to the brief, their usual charm and patter notably absent and instead displaying a slightly roguish demeanour, as though they were two burglars being briefed on a job...

"That's going to be quite some task, any idea who might be living in the area and what their interests are? Do we have any contacts down there?"

Scarab Sages

F Kitsune Bard 10|HP:56/73|AC: 25 (F:18,T:14)|F:6 R:11 W:9| CMB:+5 CMD:19|INIT:+5|PERC:+5|

"Hmmm. A large cavern in the Darklands is likely to be a prime spot for settlement for any number of people. We may be dealing with a new city of thousands of people. Or a crossroads for 3 or 4 different tribal communities. It might take the better part of a week to even properly explore the whole area and make sure we don't miss anyone."

"So, do we have any idea where we might be potentially moving all these people to? This will likely go more smoothly if we come to them with a full plan instead of just a warning. They'll likely be suspicious of a bunch of outsiders coming to them and telling them they have to move. We'll have no proof of what we say. There's bound to be a large number who will consider it a trick, even if we manage to convince their leaders. Or who will just decide to 'take their chances'.

"Still, I suppose all we can do is try. It will be interesting how the stories of the disappearance of Round Mountain have made it down to the current time, if at all."


Ruby Phoenix Tournament Games I've Played (Session Tracker)

Venture Captain Li addresses the group's questions in the order in which they're presented.

“Some teams will have access to magical means that can allow them to communicate with me or the other teams. I also have a small supply of various scrolls that can allow a team to communicate directly with our base camp; I can then relay information to the other teams from here. I plan to dole out these supplies during the individual team briefings.”

“Expect to encounter the ratfolk of Diguo-Dashu. Based on our intelligence, they might be used to dealing with individuals from the surface, and you might be able to resolve any encounters with them peacefully. You might also encounter dangerous local flora and fauna, but if the cavern is indeed inhabited by an organized group or society, they likely have measures in place to handle the wildlife. You might also encounter representatives of any of the other civilizations and city-states of the Darklands. Some might be hostile. Finally, there are of course the dangers common to exploring cave networks deep beneath the surface—poor air quality, toxic gases, darkness, sudden drops, and cave-ins. If you haven’t already, I suggest you talk to our quartermaster about outfitting yourselves for underground exploration.”

“Yes, we believe that the Diguo-Dashu maintain at least some presence within the Old Rat’s Stolen Heart. If the rumors prove true, the cavern now links all three layers of the Darklands—Nar-Voth, Sekamina, and Orv. If so, the Old Rat’s Stolen Heart could be an incredibly valuable location here in the Darklands. I would expect that somebody must have exploited the opportunity in the intervening centuries. Any inhabitants likely speak Undercommon and potentially Tien."

“Smugglers, most of them. There is, unsurprisingly, a market for goods that one can only find on the surface—crops, lumber, meat, and other farm goods. Our associate, Trade-Prince Aaqir al’Hakam, has suggested that you consider adopting the guise of traders and merchants. He has also kindly donated several samples of his organization’s wares to complement such an approach. I’ll have packages apportioned to you during your individual team briefings, but you are in no way beholden to follow our associate’s suggestions."

Scarab Sages

F Kitsune Bard 10|HP:56/73|AC: 25 (F:18,T:14)|F:6 R:11 W:9| CMB:+5 CMD:19|INIT:+5|PERC:+5|

"Well, that should at least give us a foot in the door." says Aja, who sounds satisfied with the briefing. "Is the Trade Prince actually authorizing us to initiate deals with the residents of the cavern, or are the goods only for show? I realize that's not our mission, but there's a difference in how we'll be perceived if we're beginning actual trade negotiations versus simply pretending to. We're trying to gain their trust after all."

Grand Lodge

open | NG male (he/him) human inquisitor (Nethys) 7 | AC 22 (T 16, FF 17) | HP 52/52 | F +8, R +9, W +9 | I +7, P +12 | Spells: 1st (5/5) 2nd (4/4) 3rd (2/2) | Judg (3/3) Bane (10/10) | Active Conditions: none

"To clarify, if we are allowed to trade, is it only the goods provided, or could we promise more?"


Ruby Phoenix Tournament Games I've Played (Session Tracker)

After the mass briefing, Li begins discussing specific assignments with each of the Pathfinder teams present, four teams in total, including you. When she gets to you, she explains: "I have assigned you to a suspected trade route. The trade route follows a wider secondary tunnel that I believe may have been used to smuggle larger cargoes, potentially livestock, lumber, metal ores, or even caravans of slaves.

"These should aid you in communicating with the rest of the group," she says, providing a wand of animal messenger (3 charges), a scroll of whispering wind, and a small handbook of cryptographic cyphers.

"You should encrypt any written communications using the cyphers provided. If none of you can make use of the magical communication options, I can spare a scout or messenger. You can establish dead drops along your tunnel that the scouts can use to relay information back to base camp, albeit less frequently and reliably than the magical means.

"Immediately contact me should you discover a viable entrance to the Old Rat’s Stolen Heart."

With the briefing and specific instructions now fully relayed to you, Li also hands over Trade-Prince Aaqir al’Hakam’s donated trade goods, which you can use in negotiations with the ratfolk dwelling in the Old Rat’s Stolen Heart. These include a handy haversack and efficient quiver. The Exchange has stuffed the haversack with 80 pounds of coffee beans, an ornate coffee pot, grinder, cups, and carefully written preparation instructions for each type of bean. These trade goods represent a total value of 2,500 gp. The quiver contains several samples of lumber and woodwork, including 60 masterwork arrows, two masterwork composite longbows, and a masterwork darkwood longspear. Before you depart, you may also visit the camp’s quartermaster to purchase any basic gear and consumable items.

"Feel free to use these samples as opening bids for trade negotiations. I'm sure the Exchange would be quite pleased to open up these new markets."

Finally, you may know a thing or two about a thing or two:

DC15 KNOWLEDGE (DUNGEONEERING, GEOGRAPHY, OR HISTORY):

Unlike the caverns beneath the Inner Sea region, the Darklands beneath Tian Xia are not inhabited by drow, duergar, or darkfolk, nor was there any dwarven Quest for Sky. Instead, below Tian Xia, one can expect to find ratfolk, oni, and, if truly unfortunate, underworld dragons.

DC20 KNOWLEDGE (DUNGEONEERING, GEOGRAPHY, OR HISTORY):

After the sorceress Hao Jin helped put an end to the ratfolk invasion of Lung Wa, Imperial citizens soon discovered that the wells and natural springs in the surrounding areas ran dry. In capturing Round Mountain, Hao Jin had inadvertently disrupted the passage of underground water. This has created localized flooding and “cold walks”—Darklands slang for
tunnels that terminate in a river or water-filled cavern.

DC15 KNOWLEDGE (RELIGION):

The ratfolk of Diguo-Dashu likely worship Lao Shu Po, the goddess of night, thieves, and rats. Her holy symbols typically take the form of a curled and emaciated rat.

DC20 KNOWLEDGE (RELIGION):

Lao Shu Po was not always a goddess. She was once a simple rat until she fed on the corpse of the moon god Tsukiyo and absorbed some of his divine power. When Tsukiyo returned to life and banished his killer—his brother Fumeiyoshi—from heaven, Lao Shu Po stole Fumeiyoshi’s portfolio and become the goddess of night

The Exchange

Scouting SOP:
Dist: 30-60' ahead of party /Move spd:20'. Stealth Scar Take10=34. Pop Take10=35. Perception Scar Take10=29 (33 v Traps)+Trap spotter Pop Take10=26+Detect Magic & Evil
UBar1/URog9, HP96/96 - AC 23, T 17, FF 23/ F+9, R+14, W+8/ CMD 24, CMB +7/ Per +19(Dk Vis), Init +9, Mv 40
Poppy:
F/Lyrakien, HP48/48- AC22,T16,FF18/DR 5(evil)Immune elec, petrify;Res cold & fire 10/ F6,R10,W6/CMD 16,CMB 9/DV 60 ft., LL vis vision; Perc +16 , Init +8, Move 30/60ft
Constant det evil & magic

Scarlet - Dungeon 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22
Poppy - Dungeon 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10

"I remember a few stories around the campfire during my circus days, the resident fortune teller always had the best stories..."

"Unlike the caverns beneath the Inner Sea region, the Darklands beneath Tian Xia are not inhabited by drow, duergar, or darkfolk, nor was there any dwarven Quest for Sky. Instead, below Tian Xia, one can expect to find ratfolk, oni, and, if truly unfortunate, underworld dragons"

"After the sorceress Hao Jin helped put an end to the ratfolk invasion of Lung Wa, Imperial citizens soon discovered that the wells and natural springs in the surrounding areas ran dry. In capturing Round Mountain, Hao Jin had inadvertently disrupted the passage of underground water. This has created localized flooding and “cold walks”—Darklands slang for tunnels that terminate in a river or water-filled cavern"


Ruby Phoenix Tournament Games I've Played (Session Tracker)

Everyone please put your perception and initiative in the appropriate places on Slide 1. Slide 2 is a handy tracking sheet for you guys as you gather information about the culture and society here. Feel free to retcon stopping at the quartermaster's in the next post.

Li's information proves solid and after a day's travel the trader’s route comes to an abrupt end as it exits some distance up a massive, slightly concave wall overlooking an inky darkness. A guardhouse, partially carved out of the tunnel wall, stands alongside the lip of the tunnel’s exit. A massive mechanism of wood, ropes, and pulleys stands just beyond the exit.

The Exchange

Male LN Dwarf from Qadira | Follower of Erastil | Monk 3 & Inquisitor 7 | Freedom of Movement 3/3 | Spells 1st 5/6, 2nd 5/5, 3rd 3/3 | HP 106/106 | Normal: AC 22 T 20 FF 20 | CMB +6, CMD 27 | F: +18, R: +12, W: +22 | Init: +9 | Perc: +22, SM: +18, Diplomacy: +26 | Discern Lies 7/7 | BoSpeed 3/10 | Reroll 1/1 | Lucky Horseshoe 1/1 | Bane 15/15 | Perfect Strike 4/4 | Darkvision | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: Divine Favor

kn dung : 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11
kn religion : 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23

Almaas thinks.

“Hey! I just remembered something! [I] The ratfolk of Diguo-Dashu likely worship Lao Shu Po, the goddess of night, thieves, and rats. Her holy symbols typically take the form of a curled and emaciated rat!“ he explains.

“Oh and there’s more!! [I] Lao Shu Po was not always a goddess. She was once a simple rat until she fed on the corpse of the moon god Tsukiyo and absorbed some of his divine power. When Tsukiyo returned to life and banished his killer—his brother Fumeiyoshi—from heaven, Lao Shu Po stole Fumeiyoshi’s portfolio and become the goddess of night!“ he states.

Grand Lodge

open | NG male (he/him) human inquisitor (Nethys) 7 | AC 22 (T 16, FF 17) | HP 52/52 | F +8, R +9, W +9 | I +7, P +12 | Spells: 1st (5/5) 2nd (4/4) 3rd (2/2) | Judg (3/3) Bane (10/10) | Active Conditions: none

No dungeoneering, geography or history. :(

The Exchange

Scouting SOP:
Dist: 30-60' ahead of party /Move spd:20'. Stealth Scar Take10=34. Pop Take10=35. Perception Scar Take10=29 (33 v Traps)+Trap spotter Pop Take10=26+Detect Magic & Evil
UBar1/URog9, HP96/96 - AC 23, T 17, FF 23/ F+9, R+14, W+8/ CMD 24, CMB +7/ Per +19(Dk Vis), Init +9, Mv 40
Poppy:
F/Lyrakien, HP48/48- AC22,T16,FF18/DR 5(evil)Immune elec, petrify;Res cold & fire 10/ F6,R10,W6/CMD 16,CMB 9/DV 60 ft., LL vis vision; Perc +16 , Init +8, Move 30/60ft
Constant det evil & magic

Meanwhile, back at the traders
Scarlet and poppy ensure they have sufficient provisions for the trip (currently holding 7 days), and ten more sunrods.

***

"Well I'm sure they're friendly, everyone likes entertainers and traders"

Scarlet and Poppy approach the guardhouse, Poppy gently strumming away.


Ruby Phoenix Tournament Games I've Played (Session Tracker)

Two rat folk - soldiers based on the armor they wear and the weaponry they carry - come out of the tower and approach the group.

They speak first in one language then another should they get no response from the first.

"Вітання. Який бізнес приводить вас до?"

"问候。 什么业务将您带到大股票代码"

Undercommon or Tien:
"Greetings. What business brings you to the Big Ticker?"

Scarab Sages

F Kitsune Bard 10|HP:56/73|AC: 25 (F:18,T:14)|F:6 R:11 W:9| CMB:+5 CMD:19|INIT:+5|PERC:+5|

Aja nods matter-of-factly as her companions list off helpful facts about the ratfolk of the Darklands, signifying that she knew all these things already as was simply confirming their veracity.

*****

As her group approaches the checkpoint, Aja steps forth and addresses whoever might be in the guardhouse, using the Undercommon tongue.

**Undercommon**"Hello, is anyone there? We are travelers from the surface, seeking out the Diguo-Dashu in the Old Rat's Stolen Heart. We have trade goods for barter. May we pass?"

Dark Archive

Ganzi Bloodrager 5/DD 6 | HP 136/136 (169*) | Resistance (5 Acid, Electricity, Sonic, Fire +10*) DR 5/magic |AC 23 (*22) (32 buffed) |Rage*:16/16 BW 2/2 Quibble 1/1, Spells 1st: 3/3 2nd: 2/2|CMB +13 (15*) (+2 trip), CMD 29 | F: +16/*+19, R: +9, W: +11/*+13 (+2 charm, 1/1 Reroll) |Perc: +6 Dipl +14 DV 60', Blind: 30'| 30ft | Conditions:

No knowledges, no undercommon

Kal stands alongside Aja, quiet but alert. His long pole arm is currently stowed on his back and his hands are open- though his deep black nails catch the torch light and glint ominously.

The Exchange

Scouting SOP:
Dist: 30-60' ahead of party /Move spd:20'. Stealth Scar Take10=34. Pop Take10=35. Perception Scar Take10=29 (33 v Traps)+Trap spotter Pop Take10=26+Detect Magic & Evil
UBar1/URog9, HP96/96 - AC 23, T 17, FF 23/ F+9, R+14, W+8/ CMD 24, CMB +7/ Per +19(Dk Vis), Init +9, Mv 40
Poppy:
F/Lyrakien, HP48/48- AC22,T16,FF18/DR 5(evil)Immune elec, petrify;Res cold & fire 10/ F6,R10,W6/CMD 16,CMB 9/DV 60 ft., LL vis vision; Perc +16 , Init +8, Move 30/60ft
Constant det evil & magic

Poppy chimes in "Travelers, traders, AND entertainers"
Truespeech


Ruby Phoenix Tournament Games I've Played (Session Tracker)

The conversation continues in Undercommon when it becomes apparent that the visitors (or at least two of them) understand the language.

"Oh, traders and entertainers. We like both those here in the Broken Ticker. But, of course, there's paper work that has to be filled out. You know how it goes. It's a lot, too. Could take hours even," one of the guards says, standing slightly turned away from you and stroking her chin thoughtfully.

DC10 Sense Motive Check:
It seems likely that the guards could "expedite" the process for the right "fee."

Scarab Sages

F Kitsune Bard 10|HP:56/73|AC: 25 (F:18,T:14)|F:6 R:11 W:9| CMB:+5 CMD:19|INIT:+5|PERC:+5|

Bardic ability Versatile Performance allows a Perform check to stand in for standard Sense Motive

Perform (Sense Motive): 1d20 + 23 ⇒ (14) + 23 = 37

"Oh, of course, we understand. But perhaps you can help us... expedite things? Perhaps it would help if you were to have a first look at our wares and, perhaps, accept a few valuable samples for your trouble?"

"We have many plant based products that are unique to the surface. Have you ever heard of coffee?"

Aja reaches into her haversack and pulls out a sample bag. "You simply must give this a smell."

What sort of check might be appropriate for gauging how much is an appropriate bribe for this situation? Would 25g worth of goods or coin be in the right range?

The Exchange

Scouting SOP:
Dist: 30-60' ahead of party /Move spd:20'. Stealth Scar Take10=34. Pop Take10=35. Perception Scar Take10=29 (33 v Traps)+Trap spotter Pop Take10=26+Detect Magic & Evil
UBar1/URog9, HP96/96 - AC 23, T 17, FF 23/ F+9, R+14, W+8/ CMD 24, CMB +7/ Per +19(Dk Vis), Init +9, Mv 40
Poppy:
F/Lyrakien, HP48/48- AC22,T16,FF18/DR 5(evil)Immune elec, petrify;Res cold & fire 10/ F6,R10,W6/CMD 16,CMB 9/DV 60 ft., LL vis vision; Perc +16 , Init +8, Move 30/60ft
Constant det evil & magic

SM S 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20
SM P 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24

Both Scarlet and Poppy barely hide a chuckle "Oh yes, paperwork problems."

"I'm not in a particular hurry, I'm an entertainer, not a physician or firefighter"


Ruby Phoenix Tournament Games I've Played (Session Tracker)

"Oh, that smells delightful. I'm sure that it doesn't taste any different than it smells," the head guard says.

She looks over the group and the goods.

"Well, looking at you folks, I think we could process the paperwork for 100 gold pieces.

"Per person."

Grand Lodge

open | NG male (he/him) human inquisitor (Nethys) 7 | AC 22 (T 16, FF 17) | HP 52/52 | F +8, R +9, W +9 | I +7, P +12 | Spells: 1st (5/5) 2nd (4/4) 3rd (2/2) | Judg (3/3) Bane (10/10) | Active Conditions: none

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (6) + 15 = 21

"That seems awfully steep. We are humble merchants. How about 10 gp each?"


Ruby Phoenix Tournament Games I've Played (Session Tracker)

"We're not here to negotiate!" the guard says.

But see the discussion tab.

Scarab Sages

F Kitsune Bard 10|HP:56/73|AC: 25 (F:18,T:14)|F:6 R:11 W:9| CMB:+5 CMD:19|INIT:+5|PERC:+5|

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 23 ⇒ (19) + 23 = 42

"Oh dear, I can see that the economy of the Darklands has changed dramatically since the last time I was here. Perhaps this was a bad idea -- we may lose money on this expedition."

"Look, why don't we all sit down together, we'll brew up some coffee, perhaps add a little sugar to sweeten it, and hash all this out? I know you're trying to make us a fair offer, but my companions may feel it's worth their while to turn back and find another tunnel to -- what did you call it? The Broken Ticker? Charming name!"


Ruby Phoenix Tournament Games I've Played (Session Tracker)

"Well...I can't really say no to that offer," the guard says and invites you into the tower and to a small commissary just inside.

No more than half an hour later, after you've all had a cup of coffee together, she pulls out a ledger and has you each sign your name and briefly describe your business before sending you on your way with no fee required.

"You should take this to Zhotan," one of the guards says, pointing a mile down to the floor of the massive cavern and to the center of it where you can see some lights twinkling.

In fact, it is about the only place where the lights are twinkling. Most of the cavern is dark as all the rat folk have dark vision and need fire only for things other than light. It seems that those of you not blessed with dark vision will need some sort of light source for most of this trip.

Liberty's Edge

Male Half-Elf Sniper 6th / Urban Ranger 3rd | HP:77/77| AC:28 T:18 FF:20 | CMB:9 CMD:25 | Saves F:+8 R:+15 W:+5 (+2 vs enchantments) | Init:+12 | Per: +15| 30 ft

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21

While Myth could easily sense the motivation of the guards, knowing his own ineptness of his diplomatic skills, he kept his mouth shut and let his betters do all the talking, keeping his eyes peeled all the same…

Perception: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (18) + 15 = 33

The Exchange

Scouting SOP:
Dist: 30-60' ahead of party /Move spd:20'. Stealth Scar Take10=34. Pop Take10=35. Perception Scar Take10=29 (33 v Traps)+Trap spotter Pop Take10=26+Detect Magic & Evil
UBar1/URog9, HP96/96 - AC 23, T 17, FF 23/ F+9, R+14, W+8/ CMD 24, CMB +7/ Per +19(Dk Vis), Init +9, Mv 40
Poppy:
F/Lyrakien, HP48/48- AC22,T16,FF18/DR 5(evil)Immune elec, petrify;Res cold & fire 10/ F6,R10,W6/CMD 16,CMB 9/DV 60 ft., LL vis vision; Perc +16 , Init +8, Move 30/60ft
Constant det evil & magic

Scar - Know (Dung) 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22
Poppy - Know (Dung) 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20

The two rogues try case the area, paying attention to the features of the terrain.

Scarab Sages

F Kitsune Bard 10|HP:56/73|AC: 25 (F:18,T:14)|F:6 R:11 W:9| CMB:+5 CMD:19|INIT:+5|PERC:+5|

Aja lingers over her coffee, allowing the others to sign the ledger first. One might think she was more interested in luxuriating in the warm aromatic experience of the invigorating beverage than she was in exploring a dark dangerous cavern. She makes unhurried small talk with the ratfolk guard right up to the moment it's time to leave, sharing bits of juicy news and gossip from the surface world, none of it terribly important in itself. When everyone has signed and moved through the gate, she sighs lightly, signs her 3 letter name with a hurried flourish, drains her mug, and proceeds away after a friendly wave of goodbye.

As the tunnel opens onto the dark cavern, there is a swish of movement in the air behind Aja, almost like the whisking of tail, and she sings a single note into the palm of one hand. In her palm, one at a time, 3 tiny ghostly luminescent foxes emerge from her skin, look about, then run along her fingers to leap into the air and begin cavorting about above her head. They quickly brighten to such a degree that they appear to mostly just be little balls of light, about the same illumination as a torch. With flicks of her finger, Aja moves the little creatures this way and that about the immediate area, then allows them to settle in the air about 10 feet above the ground and 5 feet ahead of her.

"Well, I suppose we should start with that settlement." she says, no longer paying attention to the lights playfully buzzing about above, like kits play-fighting in a meadow.

Scarab Sages

F Kitsune Bard 10|HP:56/73|AC: 25 (F:18,T:14)|F:6 R:11 W:9| CMB:+5 CMD:19|INIT:+5|PERC:+5|

Aja lingers over her coffee, allowing the others to sign the ledger first. One might think she was more interested in luxuriating in the warm aromatic experience of the invigorating beverage than she was in exploring a dark dangerous cavern. She makes unhurried small talk with the ratfolk guard right up to the moment it's time to leave, sharing bits of juicy news and gossip from the surface world, none of it terribly important in itself. When everyone has signed and moved through the gate, she sighs lightly, signs her 3 letter name with a hurried flourish, drains her mug, and proceeds away after a friendly wave of goodbye.

As the tunnel opens onto the dark cavern, there is a swish of movement in the air behind Aja, almost like the whisking of tail, and she sings a single note into the palm of one hand. In her palm, one at a time, 3 tiny ghostly luminescent foxes emerge from her skin, look about, then run along her fingers to leap into the air and begin cavorting about above her head. They quickly brighten to such a degree that they appear to mostly just be little balls of light, about the same illumination as a torch. With flicks of her finger, Aja moves the little creatures this way and that about the immediate area, then allows them to settle in the air about 10 feet above the ground and 5 feet ahead of her.

"Well, I suppose we should start with that settlement." she says, no longer paying attention to the lights playfully buzzing about above, like kits play-fighting in a meadow.

Cast Dancing Lights


Ruby Phoenix Tournament Games I've Played (Session Tracker)

Scarlet and Poppy spend the day exploring the various tunnels nearby after being allowed through, determining other exits and entrances to the Big Ticker. (Success!)

Wooden elevators descend to the lower levels and cavern floor. Dedicated teams of engineers manage and operate the elevators. Passengers communicate with the engineers by tugging on a variety of ropes in different colors. As the elevator platforms move, the various mechanisms clank and thump noisily, which becomes quite pronounced if the engineers engage several elevators at once.

Kal heads off to chat the engineers up (Diplomacy Check.)

While Aja goes to observe the flow of goods and traffic (Appraise or Knowledge (Merchant) check.)

Any checks from Mythryndyr, Bocke or Almaas? Multiple people can try the same check but there is no advantage for multiple successes.

Also, is the city the next stop?

The Exchange

Male LN Dwarf from Qadira | Follower of Erastil | Monk 3 & Inquisitor 7 | Freedom of Movement 3/3 | Spells 1st 5/6, 2nd 5/5, 3rd 3/3 | HP 106/106 | Normal: AC 22 T 20 FF 20 | CMB +6, CMD 27 | F: +18, R: +12, W: +22 | Init: +9 | Perc: +22, SM: +18, Diplomacy: +26 | Discern Lies 7/7 | BoSpeed 3/10 | Reroll 1/1 | Lucky Horseshoe 1/1 | Bane 15/15 | Perfect Strike 4/4 | Darkvision | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: Divine Favor

Almaas is definitely interested in the activities of commerce, and would like to understand if that is something to where he can create some opportunity for the group!

profession merchant : 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (16) + 16 = 32

Liberty's Edge

Male Half-Elf Sniper 6th / Urban Ranger 3rd | HP:77/77| AC:28 T:18 FF:20 | CMB:9 CMD:25 | Saves F:+8 R:+15 W:+5 (+2 vs enchantments) | Init:+12 | Per: +15| 30 ft

Myth tags along with Aja and Almaas…

Only relevant skill I’m trained in is Appraise and Almaas already nailed the merchant check…

Scarab Sages

F Kitsune Bard 10|HP:56/73|AC: 25 (F:18,T:14)|F:6 R:11 W:9| CMB:+5 CMD:19|INIT:+5|PERC:+5|

Appraise: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (14) + 15 = 29

The Exchange

Scouting SOP:
Dist: 30-60' ahead of party /Move spd:20'. Stealth Scar Take10=34. Pop Take10=35. Perception Scar Take10=29 (33 v Traps)+Trap spotter Pop Take10=26+Detect Magic & Evil
UBar1/URog9, HP96/96 - AC 23, T 17, FF 23/ F+9, R+14, W+8/ CMD 24, CMB +7/ Per +19(Dk Vis), Init +9, Mv 40
Poppy:
F/Lyrakien, HP48/48- AC22,T16,FF18/DR 5(evil)Immune elec, petrify;Res cold & fire 10/ F6,R10,W6/CMD 16,CMB 9/DV 60 ft., LL vis vision; Perc +16 , Init +8, Move 30/60ft
Constant det evil & magic

We need:
Appraise OR profession (Merchant) done Almass
Craft (Carpentry) OR Know (Engineering)
Diplomacy
Knowledge Dungeoneering OR Geography. done Scarlet

* Aja - Know:Eng please, Almass got in on the Merchants :)
* Kal - Diplomacy please :)

GM:
Yes - City please as the next stop.

The Exchange

Male LN Dwarf from Qadira | Follower of Erastil | Monk 3 & Inquisitor 7 | Freedom of Movement 3/3 | Spells 1st 5/6, 2nd 5/5, 3rd 3/3 | HP 106/106 | Normal: AC 22 T 20 FF 20 | CMB +6, CMD 27 | F: +18, R: +12, W: +22 | Init: +9 | Perc: +22, SM: +18, Diplomacy: +26 | Discern Lies 7/7 | BoSpeed 3/10 | Reroll 1/1 | Lucky Horseshoe 1/1 | Bane 15/15 | Perfect Strike 4/4 | Darkvision | Speed 30ft | Active conditions: Divine Favor

Almaas would also stop by the engineers to form a relationship based on understanding and empathy.

diplomacy : 1d20 + 26 ⇒ (18) + 26 = 44

The Exchange

Scouting SOP:
Dist: 30-60' ahead of party /Move spd:20'. Stealth Scar Take10=34. Pop Take10=35. Perception Scar Take10=29 (33 v Traps)+Trap spotter Pop Take10=26+Detect Magic & Evil
UBar1/URog9, HP96/96 - AC 23, T 17, FF 23/ F+9, R+14, W+8/ CMD 24, CMB +7/ Per +19(Dk Vis), Init +9, Mv 40
Poppy:
F/Lyrakien, HP48/48- AC22,T16,FF18/DR 5(evil)Immune elec, petrify;Res cold & fire 10/ F6,R10,W6/CMD 16,CMB 9/DV 60 ft., LL vis vision; Perc +16 , Init +8, Move 30/60ft
Constant det evil & magic

Think we're one check per event :)

Scarab Sages

F Kitsune Bard 10|HP:56/73|AC: 25 (F:18,T:14)|F:6 R:11 W:9| CMB:+5 CMD:19|INIT:+5|PERC:+5|

Comme vous voulez

Knowledge Engineering: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (18) + 12 = 30

1 to 50 of 229 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / EbonFist's #10-20 Countdown to Round Mountain All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.