DM Brainiac's Shattered Star 2E

Game Master Brainiac


801 to 850 of 932 << first < prev | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | next > last >>

Female Human Rogue 6 | HP: 68: | AC: 24 | F:+10 R:+14 W:+12 | Initiative: +14 | Perception: +12

Elara, perceiving the underlying skepticism in Fallende's query, chooses her words carefully "Fallende, your prowess and that of your companions are well-known and respected by my aunt Sheila. Her decision to send me was not born out of doubt in your abilities but rather from a desire to augment your strengths. I bring with me skills and knowledge that could prove beneficial in your endeavors, particularly in areas of arcane lore and magical insight."

She pauses for a moment, allowing her sincerity to resonate, then continues. "As for being a burden, I assure you, that is the last thing I intend to be. I have trained extensively in all matters Thassilonan have honed my other special abilities to be an asset, not a liability. My presence here is to offer support, share in the challenges, and contribute to your success. I seek to learn from you as much as I hope to be of assistance. My expertise in Thassilonian lore and arcane matters could prove invaluable in navigating the challenges ahead."

To Charlotte she nods, understanding the importance of trust and verification in such situations. Reaching into her belongings, she produces a token - a distinct emblem that clearly indicates her affiliation with the Pathfinder Society and, by extension, her connection to Venture-Captain Shelia Heidmarch. Holding the token out for the group to see, Elara says confidently, "Indeed, Lady Charlotte Plumth. Venture-Captain Heidmarch entrusted me with this to assure you of my genuine intentions."


HP: 62/68 AC: 19; F: +10, R: +10, W: +14 | Perc: +12 low light | Speed 25ft | Weapon +8, d6. | spell +12 22dc | battle medicine Bel 1/2 Wes 2/2 Fall 1/2 | spells 1st 3/3 2nd 1/3 3rd 1/3 | fp: 3/3 | Active conditions: Minor Curse

Charlotte leans forward, barely brushing against her protector's shoulder. She studies the token for several moments before turning and saying to Fall "It seems like she is telling the truth." she does not move forward yet though, until the elf is satisfied.

Liberty's Edge

|HP: 59/68 AC: 24; F: +12, R: +12, W: +10 | Perc: +10, Stl/Perf +12, Dec/Dip +13, ELore +14, Itm +15, Arc/Occ/Nat/Rel/Soc +8 | Speed 25ft | Weapon +15, 2d6+4+2. | Foc 1/1 | Active conditions:

"Terribly clumsy of me." Isabel replies, giving Fall a rather sarcastic look.

When the new woman appears she closes in behind Lottie, not overly aggressive, but ready to protect her friend if things go wrong. Thankfully they don't - in fact things go pretty well. The new woman has all the right answers and while that might be a tad suspicious, there's no way that Sheila Heidmarch would be fooled, so it seems above board.

"So what skills are you offering then?" She asks, snagging one of Lottie's hands and squeezing gently. "We have magic, and we have knowledge of Thassilon. What more can you add?"


Female Elf Fighter 6 | HP 78 | AC 24 | Fort +12 Ref +13 Will +12 | Perc +12 (+14 for initiative) | Hero Point: 0/3

Determining that it wouldn't be likely that an assassin would immediately attack them after having gone through all the trouble and effort of a ruse of this depth, Fallende returns her sword to her back with a decisive gesture.

"Très bien. We will accept your efforts on our behalf," she states. "But be warned that you have not yet earned our full trust."


HP: 62/68 AC: 19; F: +10, R: +10, W: +14 | Perc: +12 low light | Speed 25ft | Weapon +8, d6. | spell +12 22dc | battle medicine Bel 1/2 Wes 2/2 Fall 1/2 | spells 1st 3/3 2nd 1/3 3rd 1/3 | fp: 3/3 | Active conditions: Minor Curse

with that behind them, Charlotte says "I need to see to our wounds." she squeezes Bel's hand before releasing it to shift her satchel from her back to her hip, she pulls out a cloth, various chemicals,needle and thread. ""Sit please" she directs her friend, before starting to clean her from the smearing, then begins to work.


Female Human Rogue 6 | HP: 68: | AC: 24 | F:+10 R:+14 W:+12 | Initiative: +14 | Perception: +12

Elara, sensing a shift in the group's demeanor, allows herself a moment of relief before addressing their inquiries. "I appreciate your restraint. I realize my sudden appearance here is unexpected, and I did not have the luxury of time to prepare a more formal introduction."

She then shifts her focus to her qualifications. "Regarding my expertise, I must assert that while you possess a commendable understanding of Thassilon, my years of dedicated study have given me a unique depth of knowledge in this field. My specialization lies in the interpretation of ancient scripts and magical inscriptions, with a focus on Thassilonian artifacts."

Acknowledging her privileged position, she adds, "Thanks to my aunt Sheila and my association with the Pathfinder Society, I have had access to resources and institutions that have greatly broadened my knowledge base."

Delving into specifics, Elara elaborates, "My academic journey took me to the Arcanamirium in Absalom, where I developed a profound grasp of magical theories and their practical applications. The Great Library of the Serpent in Egorian, Cheliax, furthered my understanding of historical and arcane subjects."

"My research endeavors at the Stone of the Seers in Magnimar, in conjunction with the extensive resources of the Pathfinder Society, have significantly enhanced my comprehension of ancient Thassilon. I achieved a doctorate in this subject and am generally considered a resident expert within the Society. You may call me Dr. Heidmarch if you prefer, but I do not require such formalities."

" Additionally, my work with the Sincomakti School of Sciences has endowed me with an innovative approach to resolving problems, blending scientific methodologies with arcane techniques."

Concluding her explanation, she states, "My expertise extends beyond the theoretical; I have ample experience in the practical application of these arcane principles in real-world situations. If you would like to see documentation of my accreditations and certifications, I've brought them with me for your review."

Well.... did you ask.

Liberty's Edge

|HP: 59/68 AC: 24; F: +12, R: +12, W: +10 | Perc: +10, Stl/Perf +12, Dec/Dip +13, ELore +14, Itm +15, Arc/Occ/Nat/Rel/Soc +8 | Speed 25ft | Weapon +15, 2d6+4+2. | Foc 1/1 | Active conditions:

"And what did you think of Egorian?" Bel asks. The question seems innocent enough but there's a slight shift in the air as she asks.


HP: 62/68 AC: 19; F: +10, R: +10, W: +14 | Perc: +12 low light | Speed 25ft | Weapon +8, d6. | spell +12 22dc | battle medicine Bel 1/2 Wes 2/2 Fall 1/2 | spells 1st 3/3 2nd 1/3 3rd 1/3 | fp: 3/3 | Active conditions: Minor Curse

Charlotte's hand paused, wet cloth still pressed against Bel's cheek. There is a sharp tension in the doctor's body as she waits for the other woman's answer as well.


Female Human Rogue 6 | HP: 68: | AC: 24 | F:+10 R:+14 W:+12 | Initiative: +14 | Perception: +12

Recalling her specific time in Egorian sends a chill down her spine, but she does her best to keep a straight face and answer as neutrally as possible. "I'm afraid I wasn't in Egorian for sightseeing and spent the majority of my time in the Great Library. From what I did see, the architecture was interesting but I'm afraid the abundance and prolific slave nature of the infernal city is not to my tastes. I eagerly awaited my return to Varisia."

Taking note of Charlotte's care of Isabel, she offers "I have also trained extensively in the arts of medicine and healing. I was privileged enough to spend some time in Ustalav where I seconded at the University of Lepidstadt under Dr. Rembrahd. If you would like assistance in treating Ms. Rhelian's lacerations and contusions, I readily offer my services to assist you as needed, Ms. Plumth." For future note, Elara is an expert in medicine and has battle medicine as well.


Female Elf Fighter 6 | HP 78 | AC 24 | Fort +12 Ref +13 Will +12 | Perc +12 (+14 for initiative) | Hero Point: 0/3

As a skilled warrior, Fallende sees Isabel's verbal maneuvers as one feeling out an opponent. While she doesn't recognize any of the names nor most of the places, she follows the interchange closely, her body remaining tense and prepared for any sudden change in tone.


HP: 62/68 AC: 19; F: +10, R: +10, W: +14 | Perc: +12 low light | Speed 25ft | Weapon +8, d6. | spell +12 22dc | battle medicine Bel 1/2 Wes 2/2 Fall 1/2 | spells 1st 3/3 2nd 1/3 3rd 1/3 | fp: 3/3 | Active conditions: Minor Curse

Charlotte pauses for another moment, her shoulders tensing. Her practicality is one of her strongest traits though, allowing it to overwhelm other feelings. "My schooling came mostly from Lastwall, so your assistance would be appreciated." she nods, shifting over to let the other woman come help.


Female Human Rogue 6 | HP: 68: | AC: 24 | F:+10 R:+14 W:+12 | Initiative: +14 | Perception: +12

Elara's eyes light up, barely able to contain her giddiness "Lastwall, you say! Lucky day! Why, I have been eagerly awaiting an opportunity to employ the Valtorin method in the field! Please allow me to observe and assist you!"

She quickly moves over alongside Charlotte, her mouth going a mile a minute "His method combined rapid assessment techniques with efficient triage and emergency care practices, significantly improving the survival rates of soldiers and civilians injured during conflicts with the undead forces is unparalleled! Of particular note, the ability to prevent the spread of infection with limited resources..." and so on.

She flings her pack off her shoulders as she stops next to Charlotte, dropping to one knee and quickly rummaging through her sack to pull out her tools and hold them out for Charlotte to pick between.


HP: 62/68 AC: 19; F: +10, R: +10, W: +14 | Perc: +12 low light | Speed 25ft | Weapon +8, d6. | spell +12 22dc | battle medicine Bel 1/2 Wes 2/2 Fall 1/2 | spells 1st 3/3 2nd 1/3 3rd 1/3 | fp: 3/3 | Active conditions: Minor Curse

As the dark-eyed doctor picks masonry out of one of Bel's wounds, she nods "Proper sanitizing was key we found. Manually, since necrotic particles seemed resistant to cantrips. Sewing or magical healing would seal the residue in the patient and..." she looks up at Bel, and stops, her lips drawn in a Charlotte kind of frown, realizing proper bedside manner was being compromised.

Instead of continuing, she looked down to see Ms. Heidmarch had a full jar of antibiotic save, while her own was nearly empty. "May I?" she requested, pausing before reaching.


Female Human Rogue 6 | HP: 68: | AC: 24 | F:+10 R:+14 W:+12 | Initiative: +14 | Perception: +12

"Yes, yes. Of course." Quickly handing Charlotte what she needs as it's requested, she begins to mentally catalog these events for her after-action notes later.

Liberty's Edge

|HP: 59/68 AC: 24; F: +12, R: +12, W: +10 | Perc: +10, Stl/Perf +12, Dec/Dip +13, ELore +14, Itm +15, Arc/Occ/Nat/Rel/Soc +8 | Speed 25ft | Weapon +15, 2d6+4+2. | Foc 1/1 | Active conditions:

Bel settles into her accustomed role as patient, not accessing the magic that hovers just below her skin, ready to seal her wounds at a moments notice. This is for Lottie and besides it seems like it might be a bonding experience with the new girl.

"Where after this?" She asks. "Back in the boats?"


Wesley accepts Elanna's presence with a nod of acknowledgment. You head back into the boats and proceed to the west along the length of the vast underground lake.

The lake constricts here to a width of thirty feet or so, the cave walls narrowing down to form a tunnel. The ceiling is thirty feet above, while numerous ledges line the walls at varying heights. Several of these ledges contain manacled humanoid bodies. The remains are in advanced stages of decomposition, and in many cases are no more than skeletons.

A pair of enormous undead bats detach from the ceiling, spreading their tattered wings! They screech as they swoop towards you, skin sagging and eyes glowing a baleful green!

Initiative:
Charlotte: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (15) + 12 = 27
Elanna: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (17) + 14 = 31
Fallende: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (4) + 14 = 18
Isabel: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (2) + 11 = 13
Wesley: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (19) + 12 = 31
Enemies: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (15) + 15 = 30

Elanna and Wesley may act first!


Female Human Rogue 6 | HP: 68: | AC: 24 | F:+10 R:+14 W:+12 | Initiative: +14 | Perception: +12

Elara's training and knowledge immediately kick in as she assesses the situation. With her eyes sharply focused on the undead bats, she tries to recall any relevant information about such creatures from her extensive studies. Her mind races through the information she has acquired from her scholarly pursuits, seeking any vulnerabilities or weaknesses these undead creatures might possess.

"Ah! Yes, of course!" she says as she fires an arrow toward the bat.

◈ Recall Knowledge: Relgion: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (19) + 10 = 29
◈ Analyze Weakness
◈ Attack Shortbow: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (12) + 14 = 26 Damage: 2d6 ⇒ (3, 6) = 9 SA+AW Damage: 2d6 + 2d6 ⇒ (3, 4) + (5, 6) = 18


Elara recognizes the undead creatures as skavelings. Also known as ghoul bats, these monsters are not true ghouls but instead are specifically crafted undead creatures. Despite this, they can still spread ghoul fever and paralyze victims that they strike.

Projectile: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (14) + 12 = 26
Damage: 3d6 + 4 ⇒ (1, 5, 2) + 4 = 12

Elara launches an arrow, badly wounding one of the skavelings. Wesley follows up with a telekinetic projectile.

The uninjured skaveling flies overhead and lets out a bone-chilling shriek, while the wounded one swoops down to attack Elara! The rogue manages to dodge!

Screech Recharge: 1d4 ⇒ 3
Fangs, Wings: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (1) + 15 = 161d20 + 11 ⇒ (10) + 11 = 21

Everybody must attempt a DC 22 Will save against Bone-Chilling Screech.

Bone-Chilling Screech (auditory, emotion, fear, mental, necromancy, occult):
The skaveling unleashes a horrifying screech that chills the very bones of those close enough to feel it. The screech can be heard for miles, but each creature in a 20-foot emanation must also attempt a DC 22 Will save.

Critical Success: The creature is unaffected and is temporarily immune to Bone-Chilling Screech for 24 hours.
Success: The creature is frightened 1.
Failure: The creature is frightened 2.
Critical Failure: The creature is frightened 2 and stunned 1 by fear.


Female Elf Fighter 6 | HP 78 | AC 24 | Fort +12 Ref +13 Will +12 | Perc +12 (+14 for initiative) | Hero Point: 0/3

Will Save vs DC 22: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (10) + 12 = 22

Fallende resists the chill that runs straight down her spine in response to the nerve-tearing sound and pulls her blade into her hands.

{A} Quick Draw - Greatsword Attack: 1d20 + 18 - 1 ⇒ (7) + 18 - 1 = 24
Greatsword Damage - P/S: 2d12 + 4 ⇒ (11, 3) + 4 = 18

{A} Greatsword Attack: 1d20 + 13 - 1 ⇒ (14) + 13 - 1 = 26
Greatsword Damage - P/S: 2d12 + 4 ⇒ (9, 8) + 4 = 21

{A} Greatsword Attack: 1d20 + 8 - 1 ⇒ (8) + 8 - 1 = 15
Greatsword Damage - P/S: 2d12 + 4 ⇒ (7, 9) + 4 = 20

Current HP: 78/78
Current Hero Points: 0/3
Current Effects: n/a


HP: 62/68 AC: 19; F: +10, R: +10, W: +14 | Perc: +12 low light | Speed 25ft | Weapon +8, d6. | spell +12 22dc | battle medicine Bel 1/2 Wes 2/2 Fall 1/2 | spells 1st 3/3 2nd 1/3 3rd 1/3 | fp: 3/3 | Active conditions: Minor Curse

will: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (18) + 14 = 32

Charlotte sees the creature about to scream and covers her ears as quickly as she can. Even without magic, a creature that big screaming in a cavern could burst eardrums.

The quick thinking (the hellfire in her veins probably helped as well) saved her from the creature's attack. As Fall swings with skill, the doctor tries to move in the opposite direction to keep them from flipping, while also attempting to fling a ray of fire at the one still hovering.

fire ray with guidance: 1d20 + 12 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 12 + 1 = 30
damage: 6d6 ⇒ (3, 4, 3, 2, 4, 2) = 18


Female Human Rogue 6 | HP: 68: | AC: 24 | F:+10 R:+14 W:+12 | Initiative: +14 | Perception: +12

Will DC22: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (18) + 12 = 30

Elara is slightly afraid by the screeching creature, wincing and crouching lower in the boat. She swiftly notches another arrow she addresses the team with confidence "These are skavelings, ghoul bats created through dark magic! They can spread ghoul fever and paralyze with their attacks. So don't get hit!" she informs her new companions.

She tracks the creature with precision and fires another arrow, demonstrating her skills as an impressive marksman.

◈ Analyze Weakness
◈ Attack Shortbow: 1d20 + 14 - 1 ⇒ (20) + 14 - 1 = 33 Damage: 4d6 ⇒ (1, 3, 6, 3) = 13 SA+AW Damage: 2d6 + 2d6 ⇒ (2, 1) + (2, 6) = 11 Deadly: 1d10 ⇒ 8

Liberty's Edge

|HP: 59/68 AC: 24; F: +12, R: +12, W: +10 | Perc: +10, Stl/Perf +12, Dec/Dip +13, ELore +14, Itm +15, Arc/Occ/Nat/Rel/Soc +8 | Speed 25ft | Weapon +15, 2d6+4+2. | Foc 1/1 | Active conditions:

Will: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (4) + 10 = 14

Isabel reels from the sheer noise and crouches in the bottom of the boat, trying desperately to block the sound out. Her small crossbow hangs forgotten on her belt.


Telekinetic Projectile: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (18) + 12 = 30
Damage: 3d6 + 4 ⇒ (2, 5, 5) + 4 = 16

Fallende cuts down the wounded skaveling, while Charlotte, Elara, and Wesley take out the second one with a barrage of ranged attacks! Both undead bats splash into the water and sink beneath the murky surface.

With the threats neutralized, you continue on. The ceiling peaks nearly forty feet overhead in this enormous underground lake. Phosphorescent lichen and fungus cling to the stalactites above, reflected by the waters below to make the walls of the cave dance with a pearlescent shimmer.

As you enter the cavern, you hear strangely familiar, seductive whispers in your native language. You begin to feel an urgent desire building within your hearts, an overwhelming sense of need and longing pounding in your chests.

The enchantment can be disabled with two successful DC 24 Arcana or Occultism checks, or a dispel magic against a 3rd-level effect. Each of you has time to attempt a check once.


HP: 62/68 AC: 19; F: +10, R: +10, W: +14 | Perc: +12 low light | Speed 25ft | Weapon +8, d6. | spell +12 22dc | battle medicine Bel 1/2 Wes 2/2 Fall 1/2 | spells 1st 3/3 2nd 1/3 3rd 1/3 | fp: 3/3 | Active conditions: Minor Curse

Whispers in infernal lap against her ear, enter her mind, and make her want so had the doctor almost doubles over. "Magic" she says in a heated voice, almost a whine, but somehow she manages to grasp her own magic. Attempting to weave a defense against the spell.

dispel magic, 2nd level: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (9) + 12 = 21


Female Human Rogue 6 | HP: 68: | AC: 24 | F:+10 R:+14 W:+12 | Initiative: +14 | Perception: +12

"Do you... hear that?" Elara asks, intruiged by the whisper. [smaller]"No. Feel that?"[/smaller

She clears her throat and shifts in her seat, adjusting her clothing as she attempts to identify the source of the whispers and the feeling of longing. She listens carefully, trying to discern if the voice has a direction or emanates from a specific object or area in the cavern.

Arcana Check 1: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (20) + 14 = 34


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Elf Fighter 6 | HP 78 | AC 24 | Fort +12 Ref +13 Will +12 | Perc +12 (+14 for initiative) | Hero Point: 0/3

Being a warrior, Fallende would concede matters of magical ideology to her Ange, the new woman, Elara, or even Isabel if push came to shove. But that didn't mean that she was entirely ignorant on the subject. She was a daughter of the House Westagho after all. And no one that carried that name left their home without a thorough education in arcane matters. So, while her sister might belittle the knowledge Fallende held, it was not insubstantial.

Feeling the tendrils of emotional magic slithering into her psyche, the elf reacted just as she had been taught - counter with a stronger emotion.

"Arrêt! Vous ne m'influencerez pas!" she shouts out.

Arcana vs DC 24: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (16) + 9 = 25


Fortunately, the group is quite savvy in the arcane arts. With wards and gestures and counter-spells, you foil the insidious enchantment before you are compelled to strip out of your clothes and dive into the likely dangerous waters.

You make it across the cavern without further incident, approaching a beach on the far side. Large amounts of lichen on this cave’s walls glow with intense vibrancy, providing brilliant illumination to the cave and making the sandy beach along the lakeshore glitter. Two rowboats are beached on this sandy shore. Two dry tunnels head off to the east. The faint smell of decay wafts from the northernmost tunnel, while from the southern tunnel, you can hear cries of anguish and pain--cries that abruptly cut off a few seconds after they are first heard.

Survival DC 20:
You notice a trail of footprints leading across the sand to the northern wall of the cave. The trail suspiciously comes to an end in front of the wall...


Female Human Rogue 6 | HP: 68: | AC: 24 | F:+10 R:+14 W:+12 | Initiative: +14 | Perception: +12

Elara, clearly impressed by Fallende's effective use of arcane knowledge, approaches her with a respectful demeanor and offers a sincere compliment:

Turnign to the fight, Elara inclines her head and sawys "Exceptionnellement manipulé, Fallende. Votre aptitude à utiliser la sagesse arcanique est aussi formidable que votre habileté à manier la lame. Je dois dire que je suis profondément impressionné par votre perspicacité. Vos talents continuent de me surprendre et de me captiver, une combinaison rare et délicieuse que je trouve de plus en plus intriguante."

Elven:
"Exceptionally handled, Fallende. Your adeptness in employing arcane wisdom is as formidable as your skill with the blade. I must say, I am thoroughly impressed by your acumen. Your talents continue to surprise and captivate me, a rare and delightful combination that I find increasingly intriguing."

She pulls out a small notebook and scribbles a few notes before closing it and putting it back in her pocket.

survival: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (13) + 10 = 23

Arriving at the shore, Elara begins to examine the area. She finds footprints that end, turning to her companions with a mix of excitement and intrigue in her voice. "Everyone, come take a look at this," she calls out. "I've found something here. These footprints lead directly to the wall and then just... stop. There's more to this wall than meets the eye."


HP: 62/68 AC: 19; F: +10, R: +10, W: +14 | Perc: +12 low light | Speed 25ft | Weapon +8, d6. | spell +12 22dc | battle medicine Bel 1/2 Wes 2/2 Fall 1/2 | spells 1st 3/3 2nd 1/3 3rd 1/3 | fp: 3/3 | Active conditions: Minor Curse

Charlotte follows most of what Elara says and it almost, almost, sounds like flirting... which has another stab of pure irrational jealousy inside her where the fires of hell bubble and boil.

Mastering her out of control emotions is hard, but she does, then smiles at the accomplished elf, choosing that to show how impressed she is.

At the footsteps, she is impressed again, this time with their new addition "A secret door or illusion?" she asks. Her ears prickle at the sudden lack of screaming. "How fresh are the footprints?"


Female Elf Fighter 6 | HP 78 | AC 24 | Fort +12 Ref +13 Will +12 | Perc +12 (+14 for initiative) | Hero Point: 0/3

Having been subject to her sister Ficaansa's manipulative flattery from a young age, Fallende immediately puts up an emotional shield against Elara's compliments. She accepts them with a nod of acknowledgement and and curt, "Merci." She then tenses for the inevitable follow-up request.

When a favor isn't immediately made known, her eyes narrow in suspicion. She considers asking for an explanation, but then the attention is redirected to the hidden door.

"Should we not seek out the source of the cries first?" she questions.

Liberty's Edge

|HP: 59/68 AC: 24; F: +12, R: +12, W: +10 | Perc: +10, Stl/Perf +12, Dec/Dip +13, ELore +14, Itm +15, Arc/Occ/Nat/Rel/Soc +8 | Speed 25ft | Weapon +15, 2d6+4+2. | Foc 1/1 | Active conditions:

Isabel is clearly of Fallende's mind and is already halfway towards the tunnel. She never used to be this impetuous but with a strong feeling of right on her side the true course of action is clear.

(The fact that she completely missed any trace of footprints what-so-ever has nothing to do with it!)

Full speed towards the screams! I can set off traps too!


Isabel rushes down the tunnel with the rest of you following behind her. The tunnel opens into another cavern. Water fills the majority of this cavern, although an oval rock island protrudes from the middle of the water. A single stone post extends from the middle of the island.

A woman with a scarred face and wearing nothing but her undergarments is bound to the post on the island by lengths of seaweed. Numerous fresh wounds bleed on her unconscious body, while looming over her, poking at her body with the butt of a spear, is a hunch-backed humanoid woman with wet green skin, dripping white hair, and bulging orange eyes. Four strange creatures caper and dance at her feet—wolf-headed, lobster-clawed little men.

They don't seem to have noticed you yet...


Female Elf Fighter 6 | HP 78 | AC 24 | Fort +12 Ref +13 Will +12 | Perc +12 (+14 for initiative) | Hero Point: 0/3

Fallende's blade is in her hands as if by magic.

"Fell creature! Release la femme alive and we may allow you to live!" she shouts out.


Female Human Rogue 6 | HP: 68: | AC: 24 | F:+10 R:+14 W:+12 | Initiative: +14 | Perception: +12

Elara quickly assesses the situation, recognizing the urgency and danger. She whispers to her companions, "We need to act fast but cautiously. The woman bound to the post is in immediate danger, and those creatures are not to be underestimated."

She then focuses on the hunch-backed humanoid and the strange, wolf-headed creatures, trying to recall any relevant information from her studies that might help identify them and their weaknesses. "These beings are not common," she mutters under her breath, analyzing their features and behaviors.

She begins to gesture to her companions "We might need to engage, but-" she fails to finish before her companions are shouting and running towards the enemy.

Elara sighs and shakes her head, drawing her bow and preparing to engage.

Liberty's Edge

|HP: 59/68 AC: 24; F: +12, R: +12, W: +10 | Perc: +10, Stl/Perf +12, Dec/Dip +13, ELore +14, Itm +15, Arc/Occ/Nat/Rel/Soc +8 | Speed 25ft | Weapon +15, 2d6+4+2. | Foc 1/1 | Active conditions:

Isabel doesn't halt her pace at all, as she vaguely makes out Fall shouting behind her. There's no need to worry - she has complete faith in Lottie to keep her alive, but right now she has to save the woman tied to the stake.

Recall Know with Eso Lore: 1d20 + 14 - 2 ⇒ (9) + 14 - 2 = 21


HP: 62/68 AC: 19; F: +10, R: +10, W: +14 | Perc: +12 low light | Speed 25ft | Weapon +8, d6. | spell +12 22dc | battle medicine Bel 1/2 Wes 2/2 Fall 1/2 | spells 1st 3/3 2nd 1/3 3rd 1/3 | fp: 3/3 | Active conditions: Minor Curse

While Charlotte does not declare intentions like Fall or exhibit them like the rushing Bel, Charlotte is in full agreement with the other two women.

Raising her hand, she gets ready to let loose hellfire.


Isabel recognizes the woman as a sea hag, and the little creatures as gremlins known as fuaths.

When Fallende calls out, the hag turns and cackles in glee. "Oh, oh! New playmates here for Daefu to toy with! Sorshen is good to Daefu! Sorshen loves Daefu as Daefu loves her! One? Two? Three? How many more playmates come to Daefu? More sweet, pink flesh to poke and prod, more mouths to sing songs of agony, all because Daefu is loved by Sorshen..."

Initiative:
Charlotte: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (11) + 12 = 23
Elara: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (17) + 14 = 31
Fallende: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (19) + 14 = 33
Isabel: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (1) + 11 = 12
Wesley: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (17) + 12 = 29
Enemies: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (19) + 11 = 30

Fallende and Elara may act first.


Female Elf Fighter 6 | HP 78 | AC 24 | Fort +12 Ref +13 Will +12 | Perc +12 (+14 for initiative) | Hero Point: 0/3

"Alors préparez-vous à chanter!" the declares as she closes the distance and her blade sings through the air targeting one of the minions.

{A} Stride

{A} Greatsword Attack: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (5) + 18 = 23
Greatsword Damage - P/S: 2d12 + 4 ⇒ (6, 2) + 4 = 12

{A} Greatsword Attack: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (2) + 13 = 15
Greatsword Damage - P/S: 2d12 + 4 ⇒ (10, 6) + 4 = 20

Attack of Opportunity - If Required:

{R} Attack of Opportunity - Greatsword: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (3) + 18 = 21
Greatsword Damage - P/S: 2d12 + 4 ⇒ (7, 12) + 4 = 23

Current HP: 78/78
Current Hero Points: 0/3
Current Effects: n/a


Female Human Rogue 6 | HP: 68: | AC: 24 | F:+10 R:+14 W:+12 | Initiative: +14 | Perception: +12

Elara's mind races, drawing upon her vast knowledge of arcane creatures as she quickly sizes up the sea hag, Daefu. She knows sea hags are physically dangerous and adept at using dark magic.

While observing, Elara notices the hag's reliance on her sight and posture, suggesting a potential vulnerability to sudden movements or distractions. Remembering the hag lore, Elara understands that disrupting their concentration can weaken their magical abilities. She calls out to Fallende "Je vais créer une distraction pour retenir leur attention!"

Elven:
"I'll create a distraction to keep their attention!"

With this in mind, Elara nocks an arrow, aiming not to kill but to distract and disorient Daefu, providing Fallende an opening to advance. She waits for the right moment, then lets the arrow fly, aiming near the hag to startle her and break her focus.

◈ Recall Knowledge: Sea hag: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (18) + 10 = 28
◈ Analyze Weakness
◈ Attack Shortbow: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (13) + 14 = 27 Damage: 2d6 ⇒ (3, 2) = 5 SA+AW Damage: 2d6 + 2d6 ⇒ (2, 2) + (5, 2) = 11


Fallende splashes through the water and slices one of the gremlins, wounding it but not finishing it off.

Elara recalls that sea hags kill and eat fishers and sailors who come near their lairs, torment coastal dwellers with dark promises and vague threats, and enjoy the act of causing distress and discord in small towns. Their dreadful gaze can cause fear and even prolonged death! The rogue fires an arrow, wounding the hag!

"Ah! You will get the first kiss from Daefu!" the hag replies angrily. "Don't worry, new flesh, be patient! All will get a turn!" She focuses her dread gaze on Elara!

The gremlin Fallende wounded claws back at her. The other three wave their claws, trying to surround your heads with films of viscous water!

Claw: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 151d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 161d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21
Damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5

10 slashing damage to Fallende. Elara must attempt a DC 22 Wil save against Dread Gaze. Fallende, Isabel, and Wesley must each succeed at a DC 17 Reflex save or begin to choke and must hold their breath to avoid drowning. The film can be temporarily wiped away with a total of 3 Interact actions by the choking creature or creatures adjacent to it, allowing a new Reflex save with a +2 circumstance bonus to end the effect. (These actions don't need to be consecutive or made by the same creature.)

Dread Gaze (curse, emotion, fear, mental, occult):
The hag gazes upon a creature, afflicting it with intense distress and a gnawing sense of impending doom, with a result depending on its Will save. The target does not need to be able to see the sea hag.

Critical Success: No effect.
Success: Frightened 1.
Failure: Frightened 1 and slowed 1 for 1 round. If the target was dying, it remains unconscious for 1 day. At the end of the day, it must attempt a Fortitude save against the same DC; if it fails, it dies.
Critical Failure: Frightened 2 and slowed 1 for 1 minute. If the target was dying, it remains unconscious for 1 day. At the end of the day, it must attempt a Fortitude save against the same DC; if it fails, it dies.


Female Elf Fighter 6 | HP 78 | AC 24 | Fort +12 Ref +13 Will +12 | Perc +12 (+14 for initiative) | Hero Point: 0/3

The determined elf slashes her way through the intervening lobster-handed creatures in water-induced silence, clearing a path to their mistress.

Reflex Save vs DC 17: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (14) + 13 = 27

{A} Greatsword Attack: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (16) + 18 = 34
Greatsword Damage - P/S: 2d12 + 4 ⇒ (10, 9) + 4 = 23

{A} Greatsword Attack: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (18) + 13 = 31
Greatsword Damage - P/S: 2d12 + 4 ⇒ (9, 9) + 4 = 22

{A} Greatsword Attack: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12
Greatsword Damage - P/S: 2d12 + 4 ⇒ (11, 9) + 4 = 24

Current HP: 68/78
Current Hero Points: 0/3
Current Effects: holding her breath


Female Human Rogue 6 | HP: 68: | AC: 24 | F:+10 R:+14 W:+12 | Initiative: +14 | Perception: +12

Will DC22: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (2) + 12 = 14 Hero Point.
Will DC22: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (17) + 12 = 29

Overwhelmed by the sea hag's dreadful gaze, Elara is momentarily fearful. Her heart pounds fiercely as she lets out a cry, the terror almost consuming her. But her resolve quickly kicks in. She scrambles for cover, regaining her composure. With trembling hands, she raises her bow again, hesitantly releasing another arrow towards the hag. The shot is not nearly as accurate as her previous one, her trembling hands causing the arrow to sail too high.

◈ Analyze Weakness
◈ Attack Shortbow: 1d20 + 14 - 1 ⇒ (6) + 14 - 1 = 19 Damage: 2d6 ⇒ (6, 5) = 11 SA+AW Damage: 2d6 + 2d6 ⇒ (1, 4) + (2, 4) = 11

Liberty's Edge

|HP: 59/68 AC: 24; F: +12, R: +12, W: +10 | Perc: +10, Stl/Perf +12, Dec/Dip +13, ELore +14, Itm +15, Arc/Occ/Nat/Rel/Soc +8 | Speed 25ft | Weapon +15, 2d6+4+2. | Foc 1/1 | Active conditions:

Ref DC17: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (7) + 12 = 19

Isabel jerks out of the strange film of water and closes in on the hag, her rapier gleaming threateningly.

Exploit: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (1) + 14 = 15
Strike: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (13) + 15 = 282d6 + 6 ⇒ (5, 3) + 6 = 14

Exploit, move, strike. Will use Glimpse of Redemption the first time an ally takes damage in combat.


HP: 62/68 AC: 19; F: +10, R: +10, W: +14 | Perc: +12 low light | Speed 25ft | Weapon +8, d6. | spell +12 22dc | battle medicine Bel 1/2 Wes 2/2 Fall 1/2 | spells 1st 3/3 2nd 1/3 3rd 1/3 | fp: 3/3 | Active conditions: Minor Curse

damage, reflex vs dc22: 5d6 ⇒ (6, 3, 4, 6, 1) = 20

Standing straight, eyes forward (though with a quick glance at Fall being injured), and palm outstretched "Burn" the doctor orders before her fire comes. Instead of the normal ray of fire that shoots from her hand, a storm of whirling flames engulfing the area around the hag.

Whirling Flames: Range 30 feet; Area up to two 5-foot bursts that don’t overlap:

she will definitely hit the hag with one and a gremlin with another, but if she can get any other of the gremlins without hitting Fall or Bel that would be great

As they burn, the doctor hurries to Fall's side, assuming more injuries will come shortly.


Wesley Reflex: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (15) + 10 = 25
Reflex vs Whirling Flames: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (6) + 10 = 161d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 161d20 + 9 ⇒ (13) + 9 = 221d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 21
TK Projectile: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (5) + 12 = 17

Everybody resists choking on the water. Charlotte's flames prove quite effective, killing two of the flammable gremlins and wounding a third while also injuring the hag! Fallende annihilates the remaining gremlins, hacking them apart with her greatsword! Wesley misses the hag with a telekinetic projectile, but Isabel stabs her with her blade!

The hag shrieks and assaults Isabel!

Claws: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (14) + 14 = 281d20 + 9 ⇒ (9) + 9 = 181d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11
Damage: 2d10 + 6 ⇒ (7, 6) + 6 = 19

19 slashing damage to Isabel.


Female Elf Fighter 6 | HP 78 | AC 24 | Fort +12 Ref +13 Will +12 | Perc +12 (+14 for initiative) | Hero Point: 0/3

"Sing, foul beast! Sing your song!" Fallende challenges, stepping close to the hag. Her slender jaw is set firm as her blade moves through its dance.

{A} Stride

{A} Greatsword Attack: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (20) + 18 = 38
Greatsword Damage - P/S: 2d12 + 4 ⇒ (10, 3) + 4 = 17

{A} Greatsword Attack: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (20) + 13 = 33
Greatsword Damage - P/S: 2d12 + 4 ⇒ (1, 3) + 4 = 8

Current HP: 68/78
Current Hero Points: 0/3
Current Effects: n/a

Liberty's Edge

|HP: 59/68 AC: 24; F: +12, R: +12, W: +10 | Perc: +10, Stl/Perf +12, Dec/Dip +13, ELore +14, Itm +15, Arc/Occ/Nat/Rel/Soc +8 | Speed 25ft | Weapon +15, 2d6+4+2. | Foc 1/1 | Active conditions:

Isabel steps to the side, she and Fall are getting quite good at this whole flanking business, and continues stabbing.

Strikes: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (4) + 15 = 191d20 + 10 ⇒ (2) + 10 = 12
Damage: 2d6 + 6 ⇒ (2, 4) + 6 = 122d6 + 6 ⇒ (2, 4) + 6 = 12

Wildly and utterly without accuracy!


Female Human Rogue 6 | HP: 68: | AC: 24 | F:+10 R:+14 W:+12 | Initiative: +14 | Perception: +12

Meanwhile, Elara continues to suffer from this frightening hag, her previous assault ruining the rogue's concentration. She fires but doesn't take her time to aim well before releasing the arrow.

◈ Analyze Weakness
◈ Attack Shortbow: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (3) + 14 = 17 Damage: 2d6 ⇒ (4, 3) = 7 SA+AW Damage: 2d6 + 2d6 ⇒ (6, 5) + (1, 6) = 18


HP: 62/68 AC: 19; F: +10, R: +10, W: +14 | Perc: +12 low light | Speed 25ft | Weapon +8, d6. | spell +12 22dc | battle medicine Bel 1/2 Wes 2/2 Fall 1/2 | spells 1st 3/3 2nd 1/3 3rd 1/3 | fp: 3/3 | Active conditions: Minor Curse

The smoke around Charlotte bellows darker, sparks of hellfire ripping through the black. All that can be seen is her arm still extended, hand out, a searing ray of fire shoots out a second later. Hopefully hitting the hag.

fire ray: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (7) + 12 = 19
damage: 6d6 ⇒ (5, 5, 3, 1, 1, 6) = 21


Fallende's devastating critical hits leave the hag off-guard, allowing Isabel to score a hit as well as Charlotte with her fire ray! The monster's charred, bloodied body falls backward into the water!

The woman tied to the post has lapsed into unconsciousness...

801 to 850 of 932 << first < prev | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Brainiac's Shattered Star 2E All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.