GM Doug's Fire & Bone (MoTD) (Inactive)

Game Master Doug Hahn

Macros | Maps


1 to 50 of 563 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

SoT (Semester 1 Year 3): Tactical Map, Handouts, Macros ⠀Sundered Song: Map & Handouts, Macros ⠀Pallid Peril: Map & Handouts, Macros

Centuries ago, the massive Shining Crusade destroyed the Whispering Tyrant Tar-Baphon, an incredibly powerful lich. Knowing he might someday return, the Whispering Tyrant’s foes sealed his remains away under his old tower, Gallowspire, and formed the nation of Lastwall to guard his crumbling edifice for centuries… until three years ago, when the Tyrant was reborn. In a matter of weeks, the furious lich laid waste to Lastwall. The lost nation, now known as the Gravelands, is a haunted and desolate place overrun with undead. On the edge of the Gravelands, someone from the tiny village of Fiorna’s Faith sends a desperate message…


Male Gnoll Champion 3 | hp 49/49, hero 2/3 | AC 21, F+10 R+6 W+7 | Speed 20ft | Perception +5, Athletics +11, Crafting +6, Intimidation +5, Undead Lore +5, Religion +5, Stealth +6 | Current Conditions:

.


SoT (Semester 1 Year 3): Tactical Map, Handouts, Macros ⠀Sundered Song: Map & Handouts, Macros ⠀Pallid Peril: Map & Handouts, Macros

We begin!

Trunau is a lonely outpost in Belzken on the border of the gravelands. Trunau's townsfolk have a reputation for being vicious defenders of home and hearth. Every able-bodied citizen is tasked with defending the town at a moment's notice… it's probably the main reason why it's even is still here, so close to the horrors of the Gravlands.

The most famous feature of Trunau is its palisade. The walls are made of ten-foot-high tree trunks whose tops are sharpened into wicked points and fitted so tightly that not even light passes between them; the bottom half of the wall is encased in a stone foundation. Trenches filled with smaller spikes create a deadly briar patch guarding the wall against assault. The town itself rises up a steep switchback, allowing even a handful of defenders to pick off hordes of invaders. Stone watchtowers stand in the town's higher levels as well, with fortified structures crowding between normal houses and shops.

You are very familiar with one particular shop up here on the plateau: the House of Wonder, a place filled with magical curios from far-away lands and owned by Councilwoman Agrit Staginsdar. The dwarf wizard has been giving you odd jobs in the region for months now — anything from helping her track down magical items to taking care of problems for the town council.

Art of town and Agrit on slides.

⚰ ⚰ ⚰

Earlier today a sparrow alighted on your shoulder. It chirped a message in Agrit's voice: I've a job for you. Meet me in the House of Wonder.

Let's do some intros and a little group improv. Intro your character, and tell me about a previous job you did for Agrit. I encourage (but do not require) you to have done said job with your fellow PCs before, so feel free to include others and let them add to the tale!


Male Gnoll Champion 3 | hp 49/49, hero 2/3 | AC 21, F+10 R+6 W+7 | Speed 20ft | Perception +5, Athletics +11, Crafting +6, Intimidation +5, Undead Lore +5, Religion +5, Stealth +6 | Current Conditions:

Graaxyn Bloodfinger arrived in town a few months ago. Although the sight of a heavily armoured gnoll drew some stares and even a measure of alarm from the town militia, he has since proven himself useful to the town council on a number of occasions. He has demanded to perform increasingly difficult and dangerous acts of service to the town, explaining that his oath to the Cardinal Martyr requires his blood sacrifice.

He recently rescued a pair of local children who had failed to return home after dark, using his keen sense to track them through the night where he found they had fallen through the entrance of a long forgotten ancient tomb. They both refuse to speak of the events of that night, but were returned home with no lasting physical harm.

He is generally a sullen and quiet warrior who largely keeps to himself, but jumps at any opportunity to help others where he can.


NG Duskwalker Human Summoner 3 | HP 44/44| AC 16 | F: +8, R: +6, W: +10| Perc: +10 | Focus Points: 2 | Speed 25ft | Spell DC: 19 | Active conditions: None

Jakobi Vulkk knows there no such things as coincidences. That he should awake in a temple to Pharasma not far from the Gravelands, that he has a strong bond with the planar creature that calls itself Vengeance from the Boneyard, and that they should find themselves called again to the House of Wonder.

"This way, Vengeance, let's not be late."

Jakobi is small and svelt with dak hair, and skin the color of twilight. Atop his head he wears bone white a mask with a long curing beak. The mask of a nosoi.

Vengeance growls in understanding. The black, lionlike creature has a main of dark feathers, and a head that resembles a crocodile skull.

"We should pick up a few things while we're there too," Jakobi says, feeling under-prepared for an adventure. "We don't want a repeat of last time."

Vengeance shivers its feather cowl at the thought.


CG Male (he/him) gnoll ifrit Magaambya Academic Laughing Shadow Magus 3 | HP 15/32 | AC 22 | Fort +7; Ref +7; Will +7| Perc: +5 | Speed 25ft| Hero Points 1/3 | Exploration Mode: Scouting | Active conditions: Arcane Cascade(bludgeoning), Shield

A second gnoll walks back into town after spending time gathering spell components for his magic, and, of course, running around in the woods. He almost swats the bird off his shoulder before realizing who sent it. ”More outings to find rare herbs for her ales again, I expect. Ridiculous dwarf beverages.”

More than once she had sent Artemis out, assuming he was a typical gnoll, even though he made it clear he didn’t know that much about the woods and such. He always made it back, though sometimes he just found a small glen a few miles out of town where he knew the hops grew. Sometimes that was enough.

What the “coriander” she wanted for her gruit, he never found out. She seemed to like the berries that he found instead.


| HP 32/35 AC: 18 | F: +8 R: +6, W: +11 | Perc: +9 (T, LLV)
Class Abilities:
  • Focus Pool: 1/1
  • Healing Font: 1/4
  • Default Exploration: Search

    Hot damn! This takes place in Trunau! (I ran Giantslayer via PbP.)

    That didn't take long, Agrit again already? I must have made an impression. Nar makes his way towards the House of Wonder. He doesn't take the direct route, instead he makes a detour to the mound where the Troubles began years ago. After that band of heroes defended the town from invaders, unquiet dead occasionally popped up. Nar closes his crimson eyes for a moment and remembers back a few months ago to when he helped the Council woman quell the restless spirits. It was the start of a mutualistic relationship.

    After a moment of nostalgia he opens his eyes and turns them directly towards the sun. He runs his hands through his thick main of red and orange hair. I wonder what's in store? He makes his way over.

    Ah the gnolls. Good. Ha! Who'd have thought as a child I would ever say that‽

    Dark Archive

    Tengu Fighter 3 |HP 12/41| AC 21 | F +8 R +9 W +9 | Perc +9 (darkvision) | Stealth +2 | 25 ft | Hero 0/3 | ◆ | ◇ | ↺ | Active Conditions: bravery, marshal aura (10 ft radius, +1 vs. fear)

    As a tengu, Too-tuk's midnight blue feathers and obsidian eyes would mark him no different than any other tengu to those not of his kind. However, the ash gray scales on his hands and feet signal to others of his kind that he is touched by something other. He awoke in the temple of Tsukiyo years ago and followed the zugunruhe all the way to Lastwall.

    He was displaced to Trunau after the fall of Gallowspire and the Tyrant's armies fell upon the Knight's stronghold. It was a glorious exodus, though. His blade cut through many restless dead and released their souls to the Boneyard.

    Since then, Too-tuk has served Pharasma and the city council by joining in the defense of the city, especially against incursions from the Gravelands or other restless souls. Over time and through several assignments, he met a pair of ifrit, another duskwalker, and others still. He enjoyed their company most when they stood shoulder to shoulder against the Tyrant's soldiers.

    He breaks away from tending the graves when the bird lands upon his shoulder and speaks. Even when conducting mundane tasks, Too-tuk wears his black armor and bleached white half helm that makes him look like an anthropomorphic nosoi. He snatches his fauchard away from the wall as he passed through the gate.

    "Nar," Too-tuk calls out in a monotone to the ifrit as he nears the House of Wonder.


    | HP 32/35 AC: 18 | F: +8 R: +6, W: +11 | Perc: +9 (T, LLV)
    Class Abilities:
  • Focus Pool: 1/1
  • Healing Font: 1/4
  • Default Exploration: Search

    Too-tuk! I knew I'd end up running into you again. How goes the flock?" The pun is intentional, light hearted.

    Dark Archive

    Tengu Fighter 3 |HP 12/41| AC 21 | F +8 R +9 W +9 | Perc +9 (darkvision) | Stealth +2 | 25 ft | Hero 0/3 | ◆ | ◇ | ↺ | Active Conditions: bravery, marshal aura (10 ft radius, +1 vs. fear)

    "All find their way to their proper roost in the end," Too-tuk responds with a dead pan monotone. He never seems bothered by jokes, but even after all this time, it is incredibly difficult to tell if the duskwalker tengu has an incredibly subtle sense of humor or is extremely literal. "I have not caught any signs of undead activity. This will probably be another mercantile assignment." He rests his polearm over his shoulder.


    | HP 32/35 AC: 18 | F: +8 R: +6, W: +11 | Perc: +9 (T, LLV)
    Class Abilities:
  • Focus Pool: 1/1
  • Healing Font: 1/4
  • Default Exploration: Search

    "I hope not. I sometimes wish Agrit never found out that my tongue is silver. I prefer undead to merchants."


    Grippli Rog3 | HP 32/33 | AC 20 | Fort +8 (E), Refl +11 (E), Will +8 (E) | Perc +8 (E, drkvsn) | Speed 25 | Default exploration: Avoid Notice | Hero Points: 0/3 |

    A portly grippli of mottled-brown coloration, but with a hint of something...more, even Zher'myeh Quattro doesn't know how he came to be in Belkzen; it's been where he has lived for as long as he can remember. He has a natural glow about him, and that's not just a metaphor — his two-and-a-half foot tall body actually emits a soft glow, the nimbus of light swirling out like a comet across the night sky. With some effort he can suppress it, but usually it's too much work.

    Zher'myeh fancies himself a hunter of a sort and is rarely seen without his shortbow strapped across his back, but frankly is best known about Trunau as an herbalist of some note, able to whip up concoctions and tinctures from the Belkzen scrublands adroitly. He's helped Agrit out several times with tracking down various hard-to-find things, and expects this call to be no different.


    SoT (Semester 1 Year 3): Tactical Map, Handouts, Macros ⠀Sundered Song: Map & Handouts, Macros ⠀Pallid Peril: Map & Handouts, Macros

    You meet up in the House of Wonder, whosse shelves chock full of simmering potions, bubbling elixirs, and glowing curios. Agrit leads the way to a table in the back, at which she sits and pours herself a steaming cup of tea — is that a hint of coriander rising from the steaming cups?

    "Looks like everyone is here. You know, at first the town council was apprehensive about some of you… " She looks at the Gnolls, Ifrit, Duskwalker in an nosoi mask, Tengu, and Grippli. "…well, all of you. We don't take to outsiders well around here, on account of Trunau's history. But you have acquitted yourselves well, saving children, destroying undead, or even just by getting me herbs to help quell that recent bout of Salmonella."

    "Anyway, I just wanted to say 'thanks.' This might be a dangerous mission, so you can say no if you want."

    She sips her tea. "So, let's get to it. I've an old friend. Jacra Hillwren. After a bandit raid some years ago she moved to Fiorna’s Faith, a small village just outside the border of what was once Lastwall. We shared a passion for all things arcane, so I was sad to see her leave. Though Lastwall fell during the Whispering Tyrant’s rebirth, it seemed like Fiorna’s Faith managed to avoid becoming part of the Gravelands. Or so we all thought.”

    She sets her mug down and brings forth a small parchment. “Jacra and I still correspond via her raven familiar, Coal— mostly personal letters and theories about magic. But then, last week, Coal arrived at my window with nothing in its talons but this single scrap of blood-stained parchment. I’ve not heard anything since, nor has anyone else.”

    She spreads the torn parchment out on her table. Letter on Slide 1 It reads:

    Bloodstained Parchment wrote:
    I must be brief. Something terrible is happening in Fiorna’s Faith. Folk have been disappearing. I fear I'm next. My hope is —

    Here the missive is torn.

    Clearly Jacra hopes someone can save her, or the town. Someone or something tore the message, and I can only pray my friend is alright. I have Coal here, safe with me.

    Travel to Fiorna’s Faith and find out what’s happened. Reestablish communications with the townsfolk; barring that, search the town and rescue as many people as you can find. All will be welcome in Trunau should they make the journey north.

    She pauses. Finally, if all is lost, locate the leatherbound spellbook I lent Jacra a few months back; as it contains valuable research we'd been working on — research that will be used to strengthen our own walls here and could help other towns in or near the gravelands. It's important not just as an artifact of my friendship, but for all the people of Trunau!


    Grippli Rog3 | HP 32/33 | AC 20 | Fort +8 (E), Refl +11 (E), Will +8 (E) | Perc +8 (E, drkvsn) | Speed 25 | Default exploration: Avoid Notice | Hero Points: 0/3 |

    The Gravelands means the living dead, of that we can be sure. Zher'myeh nods. What details can you tell us of Fiorna's Faith, and of your friend Jacra?

    Dark Archive

    Tengu Fighter 3 |HP 12/41| AC 21 | F +8 R +9 W +9 | Perc +9 (darkvision) | Stealth +2 | 25 ft | Hero 0/3 | ◆ | ◇ | ↺ | Active Conditions: bravery, marshal aura (10 ft radius, +1 vs. fear)

    Too-tuk's beak chatters rapidly, a sign of eagerness as you have come to recognize through your work with him in the past. "Yes. Too-tuk would not say no. The blade grows rusty in idleness, and this assignment promises many souls to be set free."


    SoT (Semester 1 Year 3): Tactical Map, Handouts, Macros ⠀Sundered Song: Map & Handouts, Macros ⠀Pallid Peril: Map & Handouts, Macros
    Zher'myeh Quattro wrote:
    The Gravelands means the living dead, of that we can be sure. Zher'myeh nods. What details can you tell us of Fiorna's Faith, and of your friend Jacra?

    Fiorna's Faith is about three days South of here, in a valley just over a mountain pass. Jacra is a scholar but also knows how to fight; she has a fondness for birds and carries a pair of shortswords with crossguards depicting ravens and doves.

    Too-Tuk wrote:
    Too-tuk's beak chatters rapidly, a sign of eagerness as you have come to recognize through your work with him in the past. "Yes. Too-tuk would not say no. The blade grows rusty in idleness, and this assignment promises many souls to be set free."

    Excellent! I knew I chose the right people.


    SoT (Semester 1 Year 3): Tactical Map, Handouts, Macros ⠀Sundered Song: Map & Handouts, Macros ⠀Pallid Peril: Map & Handouts, Macros

    If there are no other questions feel free to make your final purchases for a tound-trip journey that will last at LEAST 7 days (if everything goes perfectly).


    CG Male (he/him) gnoll ifrit Magaambya Academic Laughing Shadow Magus 3 | HP 15/32 | AC 22 | Fort +7; Ref +7; Will +7| Perc: +5 | Speed 25ft| Hero Points 1/3 | Exploration Mode: Scouting | Active conditions: Arcane Cascade(bludgeoning), Shield

    "Well, I guess we'd better stock up on supplies. We should each have 4 weeks worth of rations, I think, just to make sure we don't run out.
    "Oh, and what sort of magical research? Sounds like something my skills would have been better suited to!"

    Artemis checks his funds, "Guess I can only afford 2 more weeks of rations. Guess I shouldn't have splurged on the nice clothes and the waffle iron."


    SoT (Semester 1 Year 3): Tactical Map, Handouts, Macros ⠀Sundered Song: Map & Handouts, Macros ⠀Pallid Peril: Map & Handouts, Macros

    You purchase rations, make final preparations, and head out. Travel montage!

    ⚰ ⚰ ⚰

    Day 1

    Clouds appear in the sky on your first day out and you hear distant thunder; by the afternoon your trip has already become a miserable slog. The road gets washed out. Mud sucks at your boots and you often lose Too-tuk in the rain when he scouts ahead.

    The countryside is barren this close to the gravelands; you are the only travelers on this road. At sundown Graaxyn notices a tiny hut in the forest — likely a trapper's old place. It's long abandoned, and even the firewood is gone. You shelter there for the night, but the chill doesn't leave your bones.

    ⚰ ⚰ ⚰

    Day 2

    The downpour continues through the second day. You cross over a low mountain pass and down into a long valley… somewhere below lies Fiorna's Faith. The landscape is eerily still. You see no animals here — not even birds.

    At sunset you come across a lonely farmhouse with its door hanging open. Inside there's an unfinished meal moldering on the table. The barn doors out back are left wide open; the livestock is nowhere to be seen.

    ⚰ ⚰ ⚰

    Day 3

    On the third morning, you suspect you're finally nearing Fiorna’s Faith, but the rain is coming down so hard that you can't see more than 60 feet. A lone farmhouse stands near the road, closed shutters rattling in their frames as the wind howls.

    The wind suddenly shifts, banging the door open. You smell something rotting inside.

    GM:
    4d20 ⇒ (19, 16, 8, 8) = 51


    CG Male (he/him) gnoll ifrit Magaambya Academic Laughing Shadow Magus 3 | HP 15/32 | AC 22 | Fort +7; Ref +7; Will +7| Perc: +5 | Speed 25ft| Hero Points 1/3 | Exploration Mode: Scouting | Active conditions: Arcane Cascade(bludgeoning), Shield

    previously, each day.
    Artemis grumbles as the trudging through the muck continues ever onward. His fine clothing is likely spoiled by the mud and dirt, something he goes on about, endlessly.

    However, each night when the find a place, he shows his cautious nature, casting one of his few defensive spells, readying himself to fight. Though the shelters are poor, they are better than the continual muck.

    Now
    Artemis wrinkles his snout at the smell. ”Best be ready for anything.” The magus wonders if his choice of weapons is going to be an issue here, and hopes things don’t taste too awful!

    He then casts false life, as he always does prior to entering an unknown building.


    | HP 32/35 AC: 18 | F: +8 R: +6, W: +11 | Perc: +9 (T, LLV)
    Class Abilities:
  • Focus Pool: 1/1
  • Healing Font: 1/4
  • Default Exploration: Search

    Nar, expecting the worst, readies himself. The prayer words for a spell to Disrupt the Undead hide just behind his pursed lips. He nods at the others to lead the way....


    NG Duskwalker Human Summoner 3 | HP 44/44| AC 16 | F: +8, R: +6, W: +10| Perc: +10 | Focus Points: 2 | Speed 25ft | Spell DC: 19 | Active conditions: None

    In Agrits' office, Jakobi takes the letter and allows Vengeance to sniff the dried blood.

    Now, as the party approaches the farmhouse, Jakobi lowers the white nosoi mask onto his face, and Vengeance gives a low growl.

    Dark Archive

    Tengu Fighter 3 |HP 12/41| AC 21 | F +8 R +9 W +9 | Perc +9 (darkvision) | Stealth +2 | 25 ft | Hero 0/3 | ◆ | ◇ | ↺ | Active Conditions: bravery, marshal aura (10 ft radius, +1 vs. fear)

    Too-tuk trudges through the rain and mud inexorably. His dark and muted color scheme does not help him from disappearing from sight as the precipitation increases. He approaches each shelter eager for a fight and seems somewhat disappointed each time nothing leaps out of the shadows. The duskwalker does take note of the recent abandonments, though. "More souls to free from the Tyrant's grasp," he morbidly comments over the abandoned meal. "The work is never finished until we return to the river of souls ourselves."

    Today...

    The tengu shifts his polearm off of his shoulder and approaches the unlatched door. His beak clatters, not that one could hear it over the rain.


    CG Male (he/him) gnoll ifrit Magaambya Academic Laughing Shadow Magus 3 | HP 15/32 | AC 22 | Fort +7; Ref +7; Will +7| Perc: +5 | Speed 25ft| Hero Points 1/3 | Exploration Mode: Scouting | Active conditions: Arcane Cascade(bludgeoning), Shield

    While he waits, Artemis takes a moment to cast prestidigitation to clean off his fine clothes. "There... now I am ready for an entrance."


    SoT (Semester 1 Year 3): Tactical Map, Handouts, Macros ⠀Sundered Song: Map & Handouts, Macros ⠀Pallid Peril: Map & Handouts, Macros

    You step past the rocking chair on the porch and peek inside. Cold wind whistles in the back door, which has been smashed in.

    A trail of dried blood is smeared along the floor, running towards a room to your left.

    Map updated

    Dark Archive

    Tengu Fighter 3 |HP 12/41| AC 21 | F +8 R +9 W +9 | Perc +9 (darkvision) | Stealth +2 | 25 ft | Hero 0/3 | ◆ | ◇ | ↺ | Active Conditions: bravery, marshal aura (10 ft radius, +1 vs. fear)

    Too-tuk leads the way inside and towards the left.


    Male Gnoll Champion 3 | hp 49/49, hero 2/3 | AC 21, F+10 R+6 W+7 | Speed 20ft | Perception +5, Athletics +11, Crafting +6, Intimidation +5, Undead Lore +5, Religion +5, Stealth +6 | Current Conditions:

    Graaxyn sniffs at the air as he scouts. seeing if he smells anyone living or dead within. He advances with his flail at the ready.

    He has kept it to himself, but his deep shame at hearing that this settlement was once the victim of bandit attacks has motivated him to do everything he can to save them. He owes so much to these humans for the misguided violence and bloodshed in his past, and he will make amends or die in the attempt.


    Grippli Rog3 | HP 32/33 | AC 20 | Fort +8 (E), Refl +11 (E), Will +8 (E) | Perc +8 (E, drkvsn) | Speed 25 | Default exploration: Avoid Notice | Hero Points: 0/3 |

    Zher'myeh doesn't appear to mind the rain, and might even be said to enjoy it if one were familiar with grippli facial expressions. He looks on with some amusement as Growl dandies himself, but does stay anything, simply nocking an arrow.

    Inside, he kneels near the smear of dried blood, trying to get a sample. Silently he offers what he retrieves to Jacobi, nodding toward the latter's pet.


    | HP 32/35 AC: 18 | F: +8 R: +6, W: +11 | Perc: +9 (T, LLV)
    Class Abilities:
  • Focus Pool: 1/1
  • Healing Font: 1/4
  • Default Exploration: Search

    Despite his unease with the weapon, Nar takes out his scimitar and advances slowly. Can I switch to Investigate? Looking for undead sign. Religion is +9 (T)


    SoT (Semester 1 Year 3): Tactical Map, Handouts, Macros ⠀Sundered Song: Map & Handouts, Macros ⠀Pallid Peril: Map & Handouts, Macros

    You move inside. The common room features handmade furniture, but most personal effects are missing as if they were grabbed in a hurry.

    The trail of dried blood leads to a gruesome scene. The corpse of a cow lies in the middle of the kitchen. The poor beast’s head is crushed but it's hard to tell anything else from all the cockroaches feasting on the body.

    DC 10 Survival on trail of blood:
    the cow was dragged to through the house's current position moments after it died. It's clear enough that you could follow the trail into the backyard even though its raining.

    DC 15 Medical check to inspect the body:
    I will tell you something interesting


    1 person marked this as a favorite.
    | HP 32/35 AC: 18 | F: +8 R: +6, W: +11 | Perc: +9 (T, LLV)
    Class Abilities:
  • Focus Pool: 1/1
  • Healing Font: 1/4
  • Default Exploration: Search

    Nar moves slowly and deliberately, "Remember what happened that time in the warehouse, get those weapons out and be ready." In an effort to prevent a repeat of the "last time" he levels a ray of undead disruption on the cow.

    Only then does he move to examine the body. Medicine: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (6) + 11 = 17


    Grippli Rog3 | HP 32/33 | AC 20 | Fort +8 (E), Refl +11 (E), Will +8 (E) | Perc +8 (E, drkvsn) | Speed 25 | Default exploration: Avoid Notice | Hero Points: 0/3 |

    Survival: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15

    Zher'myeh motions to the trail of blood as it heads toward the back yard and the grippli follows behind Nar. We should check that out, shortly.

    Dark Archive

    Tengu Fighter 3 |HP 12/41| AC 21 | F +8 R +9 W +9 | Perc +9 (darkvision) | Stealth +2 | 25 ft | Hero 0/3 | ◆ | ◇ | ↺ | Active Conditions: bravery, marshal aura (10 ft radius, +1 vs. fear)

    Survival (T): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12

    "Too-tuk always has a weapon at the ready," the tengu states dryly while he waits for the ifrit to finish his inspection. "Jakobi should be careful in back. What killed it came from the outside and might return. Blood trail is easy to follow."


    CG Male (he/him) gnoll ifrit Magaambya Academic Laughing Shadow Magus 3 | HP 15/32 | AC 22 | Fort +7; Ref +7; Will +7| Perc: +5 | Speed 25ft| Hero Points 1/3 | Exploration Mode: Scouting | Active conditions: Arcane Cascade(bludgeoning), Shield

    Artemis turns to Zher'myeh, growling, "You got a problem there?"
    intimidation: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23

    Not being skilled in tracking or medicine, he awaits the others' investigations while casting detect magic, just in case.


    SoT (Semester 1 Year 3): Tactical Map, Handouts, Macros ⠀Sundered Song: Map & Handouts, Macros ⠀Pallid Peril: Map & Handouts, Macros

    Who can forget that time in the warehouse!? Too-Tuk and Zher'myeh note that the backyard might be a good place to investigate but follow the cleric into the room, ready to help protect him should the cow rise up and attack!

    Nar's Distupt undead fails to affect the cow so he moves in; the roaches on the corpse wriggle about but stubbornly focus on their feast. Interesting idea!

    GM Ruling on shooting disrupt undead targeting living creatures/corpse:
    Full disclosure as this may be subjective as to whether the spell would annoy the roaches or other creatures, but since Disrupt Undead has no effect on non-undead (and cannot even target non-undead creatures or objects such as a corpse) so I will say "not much" but they probably notice and are a little annoyed.

    The Sarenite approaches, closely followed by friends who're on edge.

    Init:

    Jakobi Vulkk's Perception (E): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (2) + 10 = 12
    Graaxyn Bloodfinger's Perception (T): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22 [ooc] Scent
    Too-tuk's Perception (E): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20 Darkvision
    Artemis Growl's Perception (T): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19 low-light
    Zher'Myeh Quattro's Perception (E): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16
    Nar's Perception (T): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14 Low-Light

    Babies: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26

    The swarm notices an intruder in its territory, and erupts from the corpse, crawling over you Graaxyn, Too-tuk, Artemis, and Nar! They feel tiny creatures skitter under pant legs and into armor, biting their flesh… Won initiative somehow

    Piercing: 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9 DC 20 basic reflex save
    Piercing: 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3 DC 20 basic reflex save

    ⚰ ⚰ ⚰
    A Horrible Discovery!

    Battlemap

    ──────────
    BEFORE YOUR TURN:
    ──────────
    Graaxyn: DC 20 basic ref vs 9 P; DC 20 basic ref vs 3 P
    Too-tuk: DC 20 basic ref vs 9 P; DC 20 basic ref vs 3 P
    Artemis: DC 20 basic ref vs 9 P; DC 20 basic ref vs 3 P
    Nar: DC 20 basic ref vs 9 P; DC 20 basic ref vs 3 P

    ──────────
    BOLD IS UP!:
    ──────────
    Roach Swarm (-0 HP)
    ➤ Graaxyn (49/49 HP)
    ➤ Too-tuk (41/41 HP)
    ➤ Artemis (42/42 HP)
    ➤ Zher’myeh (33/33 HP)
    ➤ Nar (35/35 HP)
    ➤ Jakobi (44/44 HP)
    ⠀⠀➤ Vengeance (44/44 HP)

    ──────────
    RECALL KNOWLEDGE:
    ──────────

    DC 18 (Nature, Insect Lore) on Roach Swarm:
    This is an elite cockroach swarm! They resist Bludgeoning, Piercing, and Slashing
    DC 28 (crit success), second success by another PC, or DC 20 as second check after first success:
    Spoiler:
    Theya re weak to area damage and splash

    Dark Archive

    Tengu Fighter 3 |HP 12/41| AC 21 | F +8 R +9 W +9 | Perc +9 (darkvision) | Stealth +2 | 25 ft | Hero 0/3 | ◆ | ◇ | ↺ | Active Conditions: bravery, marshal aura (10 ft radius, +1 vs. fear)

    Too-tuk's Reflex (E): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (1) + 9 = 10
    Too-tuk's Reflex (E): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (9) + 9 = 18

    Too-tuk steps out of the swarm, blood-covered cockroaches continue to tumble out of his armor. "Ka! Filthy insects are beneath Too-tuk!"

    He shortens his grip on his fauchard and sweeps the blade through the mass of cockroaches.

    ◆ Step
    ◆◆ Power Attack: +1 fauchard (E): 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (19) + 12 = 31
    Magic, Ghost Touch, Slashing: 2d8 + 4 ⇒ (5, 4) + 4 = 13
    Deadly: 1d8 ⇒ 4


    Grippli Rog3 | HP 32/33 | AC 20 | Fort +8 (E), Refl +11 (E), Will +8 (E) | Perc +8 (E, drkvsn) | Speed 25 | Default exploration: Avoid Notice | Hero Points: 0/3 |
    Artemis Growl wrote:
    Artemis turns to Zher'myeh, growling, "You got a problem there?"

    'bout a million of 'em, maybe more, Zher'myeh retorts, pointing to the roach swarm. Less talking and more killing, maybe? Zher'myeh tries to identify the swarm. Nature, I think? +6. Oops, sorry, too many syllables for ya. How 'bout GROWL KILL.

    Zher'myeh then moves around the dead cow to get closer to Too-Tuk, hoping to administer first aid before the blood gets much worse.

    Recall Knowledge ◈, Stride x2.


    SoT (Semester 1 Year 3): Tactical Map, Handouts, Macros ⠀Sundered Song: Map & Handouts, Macros ⠀Pallid Peril: Map & Handouts, Macros

    Too-tuk decimates the swarm but doesn't quite discorporate it.

    Zher'Myeh Quattro's Nature (T): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11

    Zher'myeh isn't sure what kind of creature this roach swarm is.

    Cool if you roll your own RK to keep things moving; note the spoiler under the init block


    CG Male (he/him) gnoll ifrit Magaambya Academic Laughing Shadow Magus 3 | HP 15/32 | AC 22 | Fort +7; Ref +7; Will +7| Perc: +5 | Speed 25ft| Hero Points 1/3 | Exploration Mode: Scouting | Active conditions: Arcane Cascade(bludgeoning), Shield

    reflex DC20: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12
    reflex DC20: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15

    Artemis howls in pain from the nasty roaches, but in the back of his mind he is happy that he prepared for this. Eats up all of his false life, and then some.

    He then decides to pay back their snacking on him by snacking on them!

    He steps back to flank, and performs a spellstrike, by casting acid splash and biting.
    jaws (flanking): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (18) + 10 = 28
    piercing: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12
    acid: 1d6 ⇒ 5 Plus 1 splash to everyone except Zher’myeh.
    24 piercing, 10 acid, 1 persistent acid if that is a crit!


    SoT (Semester 1 Year 3): Tactical Map, Handouts, Macros ⠀Sundered Song: Map & Handouts, Macros ⠀Pallid Peril: Map & Handouts, Macros

    The swarm disperses! Roaches crawl alongg the walls, slipping out of sight.

    We are still in initiative.

    ⚰ ⚰ ⚰
    A Horrible Discovery!

    Battlemap

    ──────────
    BEFORE YOUR TURN:
    ──────────
    Graaxyn: DC 20 basic ref vs 9 P; DC 20 basic ref vs 3 P
    Nar: DC 20 basic ref vs 9 P; DC 20 basic ref vs 3 P

    ──────────
    BOLD IS UP!:
    ──────────
    ➤ Graaxyn (49/49 HP)
    Too-tuk (20/41 HP)
    Artemis (30/42 HP)
    Zher’myeh (33/33 HP)
    ➤ Nar (35/35 HP)
    ➤ Jakobi (44/44 HP)
    ⠀⠀➤ Vengeance (44/44 HP)

    ──────────
    RECALL KNOWLEDGE:
    ──────────

    DC 18 (Nature, Insect Lore) on Roach Swarm:
    This is an elite cockroach swarm! They resist Bludgeoning, Piercing, and Slashing
    DC 28 (crit success), second success by another PC, or DC 20 as second check after first success:
    Spoiler:
    Theya re weak to area damage and splash


    | HP 32/35 AC: 18 | F: +8 R: +6, W: +11 | Perc: +9 (T, LLV)
    Class Abilities:
  • Focus Pool: 1/1
  • Healing Font: 1/4
  • Default Exploration: Search

    REF 1: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7 An auspicious start. Thank you Desna
    REF 1: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18

    The swarm completely overwhelms Nar as the creatures splash through the joints in his leather armor and bit him everywhere.

    He tries to think straight:
    Nature: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12 but has nothing.

    He moves to heal his wounds a bit:
    Battle Medicine v. DC 20: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (20) + 11 = 31 for Heal: 4d8 + 10 ⇒ (3, 7, 2, 2) + 10 = 24

    He takes just a moment to scan the room for more threats:
    Perception (Nova): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 11


    NG Duskwalker Human Summoner 3 | HP 44/44| AC 16 | F: +8, R: +6, W: +10| Perc: +10 | Focus Points: 2 | Speed 25ft | Spell DC: 19 | Active conditions: None

    Jakobi and Vengeance move to the center of the room.

    "Stay away from the windows," Jakobi says in a hushed voice. He then concentrates for a moment and attempts to boost the power of Vengeance's attacks.

    Extend boost?: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28 I think that will extend the boost for 4 rounds!

    Dark Archive

    Graaxyn Bloodfinger's Reflex (T): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17
    Graaxyn Bloodfinger's Reflex (T): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23

    Graaxyn Bloodfinger's Perception (T): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11 Scent
    Graaxyn Bloodfinger's Perception (T): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21 Scent

    Graaxyn gets bit. He seeks and seeks again. He thinks for a moment he saw a muscle of the cow move, but he can't be sure.

    He moves into the room.


    SoT (Semester 1 Year 3): Tactical Map, Handouts, Macros ⠀Sundered Song: Map & Handouts, Macros ⠀Pallid Peril: Map & Handouts, Macros

    Nar battle medicines himself, feeling fully recovered from the insect bites. He fails to locate any more enemies or ID the swarm of roaches.

    1d4 ⇒ 4

    The skin of the cow ripples. Long, spiny legs emerge from its abdomen revealing a three-foot-long roach. It lunges at Too-tok!

    Mandibles: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (5) + 10 = 15
    Mandibles: 1d20 + 10 - 5 ⇒ (15) + 10 - 5 = 20

    It narrowly misses him.

    The cow's hide writhes. There are more things inside of it.

    ⚰ ⚰ ⚰
    More Horrible Discoveries! Round 2

    Battlemap

    ──────────
    BOLD IS UP!:
    ──────────
    Uncle (1) (-0 HP)
    ➤ Graaxyn (39/49 HP)
    ➤ Too-tuk (20/41 HP)
    ➤ Artemis (30/42 HP)
    ????
    Zher’myeh (33/33 HP)
    Nar (35/35 HP) │ Bolstered vs Nar's BM
    Jakobi (44/44 HP)
    ⠀⠀Vengeance (44/44 HP) │ Boost round 1/4

    ──────────
    RECALL KNOWLEDGE:
    ──────────

    DC 18 (Nature, Insect Lore) on Roach:
    This is an elite giant cockroach! They have a reaction that lets them scurry away when targeted by a melee attack (giving a bonus to the AC to the attack then letting them move)
    DC 28 (crit success), second success by another PC, or DC 20 as second check after first success:
    Spoiler:
    Uhhh their weak save is will.


    Male Gnoll Champion 3 | hp 49/49, hero 2/3 | AC 21, F+10 R+6 W+7 | Speed 20ft | Perception +5, Athletics +11, Crafting +6, Intimidation +5, Undead Lore +5, Religion +5, Stealth +6 | Current Conditions:

    "Stay close!" Graaxyn growls as he strides in and lays waste to the roach with his flail.

    +1 War Flail: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (10) + 10 = 20

    Damage: 1d10 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13

    He strikes the roach again. If it is dead he hits the dead cow with his flail, hoping to damage whatever else is inside it.

    2nd Attack: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (10) - 1 = 9

    Damage: 1d10 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11

    He prepares to use Retributive Strike if anything in reach attacks his allies.

    Spoiler:
    Reduces damage by 5 and he strikes if in reach.

    +1 War Flail: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (6) + 10 = 16

    Damage: 1d10 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11


    SoT (Semester 1 Year 3): Tactical Map, Handouts, Macros ⠀Sundered Song: Map & Handouts, Macros ⠀Pallid Peril: Map & Handouts, Macros

    The roach skitters along the floor, trying to escape the blow but not quite managing to do so as it runs along the floor.

    Graaxyn has 1 action left! Unless I hear otherwise I will assume he strides toward the roach.

    ⚰ ⚰ ⚰
    More Horrible Discoveries! Round 2

    Battlemap

    ──────────
    BOLD IS UP!:
    ──────────
    Uncle (1) (-13 HP) │ Reaction used
    ➤ Graaxyn (39/49 HP) │ 1 action left
    ➤ Too-tuk (20/41 HP)
    ➤ Artemis (30/42 HP)
    ????
    Zher’myeh (33/33 HP)
    Nar (35/35 HP) │ Bolstered vs Nar's BM
    Jakobi (44/44 HP)
    ⠀⠀Vengeance (44/44 HP) │ Boost round 1/4

    ──────────
    RECALL KNOWLEDGE:
    ──────────

    DC 18 (Nature, Insect Lore) on Roach:
    This is an elite giant cockroach! They have a reaction that lets them scurry away when targeted by a melee attack (giving a bonus to the AC to the attack then letting them move)
    DC 28 (crit success), second success by another PC, or DC 20 as second check after first success:
    Spoiler:
    Uhhh their weak save is will.

    Dark Archive

    Tengu Fighter 3 |HP 12/41| AC 21 | F +8 R +9 W +9 | Perc +9 (darkvision) | Stealth +2 | 25 ft | Hero 0/3 | ◆ | ◇ | ↺ | Active Conditions: bravery, marshal aura (10 ft radius, +1 vs. fear)

    Too-tuk groans as he dodges the giant cockroach. He moves after the insect as it scuttles away from Graaxyn but stays within Zher'myeh's reach. He bring his fauchard down in a heavy, overhead chop toward the cockroach.

    ◆ Stride
    ◆◆ Power Attack: +1 fauchard (E): 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (6) + 12 = 18
    Magic, Ghost Touch, Slashing: 2d8 + 4 ⇒ (5, 2) + 4 = 11
    Deadly: 1d8 ⇒ 6

    ↺ Attack of Opportunity

    Did the giant cockroach's movement trigger Too-tuk's attack of opportunity?

    ↺ Attack of Opportunity (earlier cockroach movement): 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (3) + 12 = 15
    Magic, Ghost Touch, Slashing: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11
    Deadly: 1d8 ⇒ 6

    ↺ Attack of Opportunity (next trigger):

    ↺ Strike: +1 fauchard (E): 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (15) + 12 = 27
    Magic, Ghost Touch, Slashing: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5
    Deadly: 1d8 ⇒ 8


    CG Male (he/him) gnoll ifrit Magaambya Academic Laughing Shadow Magus 3 | HP 15/32 | AC 22 | Fort +7; Ref +7; Will +7| Perc: +5 | Speed 25ft| Hero Points 1/3 | Exploration Mode: Scouting | Active conditions: Arcane Cascade(bludgeoning), Shield

    "More bugs to crunch?"

    He decides that it is time to enter into his arcane cascade, so he starts by casting an attack spell! He casts telekinetic projectile, chucking the corpse of a cockroach at the larger cockroach!
    spell attack vs big papa roach: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22
    bludgeoning: 2d6 + 3 ⇒ (2, 4) + 3 = 9

    He then enters his arcane cascade


    SoT (Semester 1 Year 3): Tactical Map, Handouts, Macros ⠀Sundered Song: Map & Handouts, Macros ⠀Pallid Peril: Map & Handouts, Macros

    Too-tuk's fauchard goughes the floor as the roach skitters away. He then strides after it and cuts one of its wings off. Artemis finished the beast off with one of its young!

    The cow's corpse writhes… Grax can Stride after the Roach

    1d3 ⇒ 3

    Another roach emerges from the corpse, and it attacks Nar!

    Mandibles: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (15) + 10 = 25
    P: 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5
    Mandibles: 1d20 + 10 - 5 ⇒ (4) + 10 - 5 = 9

    ⚰ ⚰ ⚰
    More Horrible Discoveries! Round 2

    Battlemap

    ──────────
    BOLD IS UP!:
    ──────────
    Graaxyn (39/49 HP)
    Too-tuk (20/41 HP)
    Artemis (30/42 HP)
    Poppa (2) (-0 HP) │ Skitter Reaction Available
    ➤ Zher’myeh (33/33 HP)
    ➤ Nar (30/35 HP) │ Bolstered vs Nar's BM
    ????
    Jakobi (44/44 HP)
    ⠀⠀Vengeance (44/44 HP) │ Boost round 1/4

    ──────────
    RECALL KNOWLEDGE:
    ──────────

    DC 18 (Nature, Insect Lore) on Roach:
    This is an elite giant cockroach! They have a reaction that lets them scurry away when targeted by a melee attack (giving a bonus to the AC to the attack then letting them move)
    DC 28 (crit success), second success by another PC, or DC 20 as second check after first success:
    Spoiler:
    Uhhh their weak save is will.


    Male Gnoll Champion 3 | hp 49/49, hero 2/3 | AC 21, F+10 R+6 W+7 | Speed 20ft | Perception +5, Athletics +11, Crafting +6, Intimidation +5, Undead Lore +5, Religion +5, Stealth +6 | Current Conditions:

    From where Graaxyn was he can use his reaction to reduce the damage it did by 5 and counterattack. See Spoiler above for results!

    1 to 50 of 563 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
    Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Doug's March of the Dead All Messageboards

    Want to post a reply? Sign in.