Mr Clint's Sunless Citadel

Game Master Mr Clint

Interactive Map
Loot Tracker


1 to 50 of 282 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>

You find yourself in the Ol’ Boar Inn in the small town of Oakhurst. You either arrived last night and stayed the night or you have just arrived this mid-morning, but the barkeep, Garon, is standing behind the counter making sure things are running as orderly as possible. Two young bar maids work the room, both vaguely resemble Garon.

Looking around the room, you see what you would expect in a tavern mid-morning. Travelers, or farmhands that have finished up their morning chores ahead of schedule. Many of them have a mug of ale before them as they wait for their meal of roasted boar. Those who arrived recently were able to follow their nose to the Ol Boar Inn.

You spend some time in the inn last night or this morning talking to the patrons and the barmaids. You find out some information.

Roll 1 Gather Information check to reveal to information below. A high check reveals all the information of a lower roll.

Gather Information DC 10:

The Old Road ran right past the nearby ruins, but fell into disuse because of goblin banditry. No one knows for sure what the Sunless Citadel once was, but old legends hint that it served as the retreat of an ancient dragon cult.

Gather Information DC12:

Cattle herders don’t graze there stock too far afield these days. They’re frightened by stories of new monsters that maraud by night. No one has seen these creatures, nor do they leave a discernible trail; however, cattle and people who have been caught out alone have been found dead the next day, pierced by dozens of needlelike claws.

Gather Information DC14:

The missing adventurers include a fighter, a wizard, a paladin of Pelor, and a ranger. Sir Bradford was not a local, and he had a magic sword called Shatterspike.

Gather Information DC16:

Sometimes the goblins offer another apple at midwinter. This apple is corpse-white and utterly poisonous, even to the mere touch of the skin. No samples of either type of apple remain anywhere near Oakhurst.

Gather Information DC18:

Garon, the barkeep of the Ol’ Boar Inn, remembers the last time anyone, aside from Talgen and Sharwyn, asked questions about the Sunless Citadel. About thirty years ago, a grim man named Belak stopped by, and he had a very large pet tree frog.

For the next check you can roll if you have the rank in one of the following Knowledge Checks

K-History, Geography or Local DC12:

The Old Road also skirts the Ashen Plain, a lifeless land. The desolation of this land is attributed to the ancient rampage of a dragon named Ashardalon.

What do you do? Take a moment describing your character and link a photo if you used one for inspiration.

Alden Cooperson 12/12 | Boros the Snake 8/8 | Emma of Wye 11/11 | Meiril Malwood ?/? | Syrain Blowblossom 8/8


Male Human Paladin (Warrior of the Holy Light) 2 l AC 19 T 12 FF 17 l CMD 17 I HP 22/22 l F +10 R +6 W +8 l Init +2 l Perc +1

Gather Information: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11

Alden enters the common room of the Old Boar, orders a mug of ale, and stands at the bar top to drink. He nods politely to other patrons, but doesn't engage in any conversation. Instead, he listens carefully to a pair of local fellows discussing goblin bandits along the Old Road, near the ruins of the Sunless Citadel.

Alden is a slightly taller than average, broad shouldered young man dressed in a suit of splint mail armor. He wears a full backpack, javelin, and large wooden shield strapped to his back. His left hip bears a sheathed longsword, and a morningstar rest on a hanger on his right, next to a sheathed dagger. He wears a holy symbol of Heironeous around his neck.

His helm is set on the bar top next to his ale. His features of those of a young man fresh out of childhood, but his face is one of carefully controlled emotion, bearing little hint of his thoughts or emotions.

Liberty's Edge

Male Half Elf Bard 1 HP 8 |AC 12 (Touch 10; FF 11) | F +2; R +2; W +2 | GRP +2 | Speed 30 ft | Init +0 | Spot +1 Bard 1

I'm a half ELF not a halfLING LOL

Gather Info: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12

A young half elf enters and looks around the room. He heads to the bar and turns to the barkeep.

"Good publican. What news of the area?"


Emma, following her nose, enters the Ol'Boar and takes a seat. She is a young lass of only 20 summers but seems to have the confidence of someone much older. Her hair was hidden by a scarf, but now inside she removes the scrap of cloth to let her curly blonde hair free. While not a raving beauty, her bright blue eyes and delicate features make her more cute than alluring. Her clothes are travel-stained, but in good repair and the pack she carries seems to be on the small, and light side. A second shoulder bag hangs from her left side and a stout wooden cudgel or baton hangs from a loop on her right.

Gather Info. 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 = 13


Male Half-Elf Cleric of Corellon Larethian 1

Gather Knowledge: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9

A tall, blonde-haired man with piercing blue eyes emerges from his room. He appears to be half-elven, though he favors the elven side more than the human. His scale mail clinks against a holy symbol of Corellon Larethian as he walks downstairs. He orders an ale, and takes it to an open table. He removes his scabbard from his belt, and lays his sheathed longsword on the table between him and the ale. Although he tries to remain alert and listen to the conversation going on around him, he finds himself distractedly drinking his ale as he reflects on the journey that has brought him here.

Liberty's Edge

Male Half Elf Bard 1 HP 8 |AC 12 (Touch 10; FF 11) | F +2; R +2; W +2 | GRP +2 | Speed 30 ft | Init +0 | Spot +1 Bard 1

Meiril tries to remember about the area.

Knowledge:Local: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10


Male Human Paladin (Warrior of the Holy Light) 2 l AC 19 T 12 FF 17 l CMD 17 I HP 22/22 l F +10 R +6 W +8 l Init +2 l Perc +1

"Your pardon, fiends," Alden says to the two farmers whose conversation he eavesdropped upon. "You mentioned goblin bandits. I am to understand they are persistent enough to restrict trade along the Old Road. Is the local constable in need of assistance in rooting them out?"

Diplomacy, if needed: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15


Male Halfling Rogue 1 | HP 16/16 | AC 18 / 20 if nimble dodge | F+5 R+9 W+7 | Perc+7 |

Gather Info: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21
K. Local: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26

What appears at first to be a halfling enters the room, though on closer inspection his skin appears unusually scaly. A forked tongue flickers in the air as if to taste it.

He chats up the locals--at least those who were willing to talk with such a strange character--and manages to learn quite a bit.

Seeing a well-armed half-elf mulling into his cups, Boros decides to make an approach. He props himself onto a barstool and remains standing to approximate an eye-level conversation. "Good friend, are you here for an adventure? Sssssurely you're no mere merchant sssselling wares. The name'ssss Borosssss."


Male Half-Elf Cleric of Corellon Larethian 1

Snapping out of his reverie as the small one approaches, Syrain gives him a polite nod.

"Well met, Boros. I am Syrain, Syrain Blowblossom. Aye, I am looking for an adventure. My god bids that I bring honor to him by distinguishing myself in battle or learning ancient lore. Might you know of a foe who needs smiting, or a treasure that needs recovering, in the name of fair Corellon Larethian?"


Oakhurst

Those who belly up to the bar find themselves greeted by Garon; “Welcome to the Ol’ Boar Inn. Names Garon, owner and proprietor of this fine establishment for as long as I can remember.” looking at the way you’re dressed he continues on; “You all have the looks of someone new to the town, and those about business.” He says with a hint of a question as he begins to pour large steins of frothy ale and places it before those who are here.

Alden spooks the two farmers who he was listening in on; “Oh! Young lad, sit before if you must, but don’t be going round giving people scares. Ivan is old enough that you might as well stop his heart!” Ivan shakes his head, and in a shaky voice; “there do be attacks along that road. But not much trade since the split of the ravine.” the other man chimes in; “Those goblins be damned! Their trickery and vileness is a blight upon all of Faerun!” he says with a spit and takes a drink of his ale.

The man and his disgust of goblins gain the attention of those in the surrounding tables. His words may draw some in or push them away in disgust.

What do you do?

Alden Cooperson 12/12 | Boros the Snake 8/8 | Emma of Wye 11/11 | Meiril Malwood 8/8 | Syrain Blowblossom 8/8


Male Human Paladin (Warrior of the Holy Light) 2 l AC 19 T 12 FF 17 l CMD 17 I HP 22/22 l F +10 R +6 W +8 l Init +2 l Perc +1

"My apologies, good men, I did not mean to startle you. My thanks for your clarification," Alden replies to the farmers, giving them each a respectful nod.

He then turns his attention to the proprietor, Garon. "Well met, Master Garon. My name is Alden Cooperson. Speaking for myself, I am new to town. In truth, I am new to life on the road. I have recently set forth from the home of my parents to find the will of Heironeous, such as it may present itself to his faithful servant."


Male Halfling Rogue 1 | HP 16/16 | AC 18 / 20 if nimble dodge | F+5 R+9 W+7 | Perc+7 |

"Niccce ta meet ya, Sssyrian," responds Boros. "And you too, Garon and Alden. Ssseeems like we got a couple of holy warriorsss in town. And me, your sssscout. Maybe it'sss the godssss will that the trade routesss be opened up again, eh?"

And an opportunity for a reward, thinks Boros to himself, as he tries to glom himself to a pair of seemingly capable men.


Emma has been sitting quietly at her table watching the warriors and such introduce themselves. Perhaps these men would be interested in helping her discover more about the lands hereabouts. There was a strange feeling to this place...one of darkness and danger.

Making up her mind she stands up and walks over to the group.

"Umm..hi. My name is Emma and I could not help but overhear you talking about ...ummm...adventure. I am also interested in what is going on in these parts. I am a follower of Nature and Druid of Mother Earth."

Liberty's Edge

Male Half Elf Bard 1 HP 8 |AC 12 (Touch 10; FF 11) | F +2; R +2; W +2 | GRP +2 | Speed 30 ft | Init +0 | Spot +1 Bard 1

Meiril turns to Garon and the group. "I am Meiril Malwood. A budding bard!" He looks at Garon. "I would be glad to play a song for your patrons good sir! If it pleases you!" He takes out his lute.


Male Half-Elf Cleric of Corellon Larethian 1

Syrain nods after Boros finishes speaking. "Aye, I believe it is. Corellon Larethian has little patience with the greenskins in any event, but I have no doubt he would have me deal with them in this case, when they are attacking innocents.

He turns to Alden. Sir, I dare say the same is true of your own deity: what could more clearly be the will of such a stout deity as yours?

When Emma introduces herself, Syrain nods and says, "Well met, Emma. I suspect we can find common cause as well."

Upon hearing that there is a bard in the establishment, and a fellow half-elf at that, Syrain turns and says, "Aye, I think a song is just the thing to bolster spirits after this talk of goblins. By Corellon Larethian, sing on!"


Oakhurst

Hearing the reasons for your arrival, Garon smiles; “That’s good to hear. The mood of the town has been dire since the Hucrele twins went missing.” shaking his head; “Dumb kids had visions of glory blinding them. Talgen and Sharwyn, the brother and sister, set off down the south road to delve into the Sunless Citadel about a month ago. Went off with a few others that weren’t from town, and haven’t been seen again.”

Pulling closer to the group; “They were part of a rich merchant family based here in Oakhurst. Out of her mind with worry and grief, Kerowyn Hucrele has been offering a large reward for the return of her children. Or at least their gold signet rings that they each wore.” Looking at this mixed matched group that has formed before him; “I don’t know if I would be so bold to go, but from the sound of it you are looking for a challenge. This may be it!”

As the half-elf mentions performing; “A mid-morning performance? Never had such a thing, but I won’t say no. Jump up there on the hearth and give it a go.” Give me a perform check. How long are you wanting to stay and perform?

What does everyone want to do?
- Looking at the linked map above, it shows you the different locations in town. 1) Temple of Pelor, 2) a forge, and 3) a general shop are all available incase you need to pick up any supplies that you didn’t have from the start.
- Each place carries all the standard basic items found in the Player’s Handbook and if you have the right amount of coin, you are able to purchase the items. Sorry no +5 Vorpal Longswords, fresh out.

Alden Cooperson 12/12 | Boros the Snake 8/8 | Emma of Wye 11/11 | Meiril Malwood 8/8 | Syrain Blowblossom 8/8


Male Human Paladin (Warrior of the Holy Light) 2 l AC 19 T 12 FF 17 l CMD 17 I HP 22/22 l F +10 R +6 W +8 l Init +2 l Perc +1
Syrain Blowblossom wrote:


He turns to Alden. Sir, I dare say the same is true of your own deity: what could more clearly be the will of such a stout deity as yours?

Barkeep wrote:

Hearing the reasons for your arrival, Garon smiles; “That’s good to hear. The mood of the town has been dire since the Hucrele twins went missing.” shaking his head; “Dumb kids had visions of glory blinding them. Talgen and Sharwyn, the brother and sister, set off down the south road to delve into the Sunless Citadel about a month ago. Went off with a few others that weren’t from town, and haven’t been seen again.”

Pulling closer to the group; “They were part of a rich merchant family based here in Oakhurst. Out of her mind with worry and grief, Kerowyn Hucrele has been offering a large reward for the return of her children. Or at least their gold signet rings that they each wore.” Looking at this mixed matched group that has formed before him; “I don’t know if I would be so bold to go, but from the sound of it you are looking for a challenge. This may be it!”

"My name is Alden Cooperson, and alas, I have yet to earn the title of Sir. I serve Heironeous, the God of Valor and Justice," Alden replies with a respectful nod to Syrain. "I have little doubt that it was his will that brought me to this place for this purpose. I freely admit that I am young, and have yet to truly win my spurs, but I am strong in body and faith, and I will go in search of the missing youths." He nods to the barkeep in acknowledgement.

Liberty's Edge

Male Half Elf Bard 1 HP 8 |AC 12 (Touch 10; FF 11) | F +2; R +2; W +2 | GRP +2 | Speed 30 ft | Init +0 | Spot +1 Bard 1
Mr Clint's Sunless Citadel wrote:


As the half-elf mentions performing; “A mid-morning performance? Never had such a thing, but I won’t say no. Jump up there on the hearth and give it a go.” Give me a perform check. How long are you wanting to stay and perform?

Just one song..

"Thank you sir!" He says to the bartender. Then he turns to Syrain. In a softer voice he smiles and says. "I'm going to do the "Fox may steal..."

Then he heads over to the stage. Meiril launches into "A fox may steal your hens, Sir,"

"A fox may steal your hens, Sir, A Whore your health and Pence, Sir,
Your daughter rob your Chest, Sir,"

perform: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13

Then looks at the crowd.


Male Halfling Rogue 1 | HP 16/16 | AC 18 / 20 if nimble dodge | F+5 R+9 W+7 | Perc+7 |

"Nicccce ta meet you, Emma," says Boros, as he pays the budding bard no mind. He stays to listen to the performance only because that's where Emma is, and Emma might have something of great interest to her. As the song ends, he sits there, unmoved. "I hope Meiril doessssn't expect a tip for that drivel," whispers Boros to the others as the song comes to a conclusion.

Sorry, Meiril, Boros is a cranky one.

In Boros's view, the conclusion of the song is a relief because gives him a chance to ask Emma something important. "Ssssso, a druid. I heard you folkssss know how to turn into animalsss. Any chanccce you can help me sssssso I'm not quite sssso sssssnake-like? I wassssn't born thisss way, lemme tell ya." He looks at Emma with pleading hope.


Emma looks a little taken aback by the halfling.

"What happened to you? I cannot guarantee anything, but if I can help you I will certainly try."


Male Halfling Rogue 1 | HP 16/16 | AC 18 / 20 if nimble dodge | F+5 R+9 W+7 | Perc+7 |

Boros nods excitedly. "Yesss, I ussed to be an ordinary halfling, living a normal life. Did a brisssk busssinesss in usssed gooodsss. One day I got my handssss on an old sssspellbook. It sssseemed valuable, sssso I tried to ssssell it like everything else. Turnsss out it was ssstolen by a powerful wizard. The ssstupid man blamed me, assss if I had anything to do with what he losssst. He decccided to punisssh me and turned me into a sssnake with his magicsss. Sssssso now, I'm cursssed. Do you know how to undo this magic? It ssssounds like nature magic to me."

Boros suddenly realizes he's being a little too desperate in spilling his life story, and tries to change course. "We can talk more about thisss later. It'ssss a long road we have to travel. I'm ready to go right now--to fight sssome goblinsss and rescue these lossst adventurerssss!"


Oakhurst

Garon nods; “Most of us would pray to anyone at this point to have the two of them back to safety.” Looking at the group “If you want, I can send one of the girls to Kerowyn and let her know there is a group that is willing to set out to rescue her children. But I know she wouldn’t want you to wait for her to make an appearance for you to set off.”

Meiril performs The fox may steal your hens, Sir and the people in the inn enjoy it. Some even join in on bits they know. It was nothing that would rouse a tavern into dancing, but then again this is mid-morning.

Garon applauds Meiril as he gives Boros a sideways glance at his comment; “Well if you find yourself around evenin time you’re welcome to take the stage. Get a few more drinks in them and the lasses will have them up dancing in no time.”

What does everyone want to do?

Alden Cooperson 12/12 | Boros the Snake 8/8 | Emma of Wye 11/11 | Meiril Malwood 8/8 | Syrain Blowblossom 8/8


Male Human Paladin (Warrior of the Holy Light) 2 l AC 19 T 12 FF 17 l CMD 17 I HP 22/22 l F +10 R +6 W +8 l Init +2 l Perc +1

”It would be prudent for us to take stock of what gear we possess among those of us who will be going, and perhaps pool our coin to purchase any missing necessities, so it would not delay us to wait for he arrival. If anything, we should be able to properly prepare in the interim and then leave immediately following our conversation with her,” Alden offers.


Male Half-Elf Cleric of Corellon Larethian 1

Syrain claps after Meiril's performance.

After Alden suggests an inventory, Syrain speaks up: "Good idea, Alden. I have my longsword, my armor, and the necessary components for the abilities given me by Corellon Larethian. I am not sure how long we plan to be gone, but I have enough food for nearly a week and camping supplies. I have some silk rope, some candles, a small mirror, and such like. I must confess that I have very little coin left with which to buy further supplies."


Male Halfling Rogue 1 | HP 16/16 | AC 18 / 20 if nimble dodge | F+5 R+9 W+7 | Perc+7 |

"I've got a couple days' suppliesss," hisses Boros. "I'll buy a few more before we get outta here. Alright, sounds like we got a plan!". Boros doesn't mention the thieves' tools he's got tucked away.

Liberty's Edge

Male Half Elf Bard 1 HP 8 |AC 12 (Touch 10; FF 11) | F +2; R +2; W +2 | GRP +2 | Speed 30 ft | Init +0 | Spot +1 Bard 1

The bard bows and thanks Garon. He stows his lute then turns to Alden. "Good sir..Did I hear you mention something about finding the missing kids? I am Meiril a bard but of little renown. I would be glad to help if you could you me. I know a bit about using my sword." He points to the sword tied to his pack.


Emma looks after the cursed halfling, her mind awhirl at the possible reasons for his disfigurement. A curse is the first thing she thinks of, but removing such is, at the moment well beyond her ability.

As others talk about supplies and such, Emma reaches into her belt pouch and removes several blueberries.

"I can create these good berries for the party as well. One acts as a full day's meal as well as healing some of the minor ills we may find ourselves suffering."

She hands them out, one to each person.


Male Human Paladin (Warrior of the Holy Light) 2 l AC 19 T 12 FF 17 l CMD 17 I HP 22/22 l F +10 R +6 W +8 l Init +2 l Perc +1

"I have three torches, flint and steel, chalk, and two sacks, in addition to my personal gear, arms and weapons. If we are exploring ruins, I am concerned that we may also need rope, a grapplng hook, pitons, and possibly a crowbar."

Alden accepts the goodberry from Emma with a grateful nod. "My thanks to you, Miss Emma." He places the goodberry in his patch.


Oakhurst

At this point it is really up to the group of you to do what you all want to do.

Here is a listing of the places in town that you could visit if you want to group your coin together to pick up any missed supplies. Now is the time to see if there is anything you might be missing for this venture.

Also, be sure to know where you are at when it comes to your carrying capacity. Boros might need some friends with heavy lifting capabilities. I want us to keep an eye on that, ammo, trail rations, etc. All of those things will come into play in this dungeon delve, that is your warning. *Insert Evil Laughter*

Garon goes about his business helping those who come in for a meal or a mug of ale. He will stop over and refill your mugs of ale as needed, for 4 copper each after the first one. The first taste is free you know…

What does everyone want to do?

Alden Cooperson 12/12 | Boros the Snake 8/8 | Emma of Wye 11/11 | Meiril Malwood 8/8 | Syrain Blowblossom 8/8

DM Screen:

H: 1d4 ⇒ 3
.
.


Male Human Paladin (Warrior of the Holy Light) 2 l AC 19 T 12 FF 17 l CMD 17 I HP 22/22 l F +10 R +6 W +8 l Init +2 l Perc +1

"When can we expect Kerowyn to arrive?" Alden asks Garon.


Mr Clint's Sunless Citadel wrote:
“If you want, I can send one of the girls to Kerowyn and let her know there is a group that is willing to set out to rescue her children. But I know she wouldn’t want you to wait for her to make an appearance for you to set off.”
Alden Cooperson wrote:
"When can we expect Kerowyn to arrive?" Alden asks Garon.

Garon comes back over to the group; "Oh, I wouldn't wait for her to show up. My girls just left to send word, she is also a merchant and might not directly see her. Unless you are leaving tomorrow, I wouldn't wait."


Male Human Paladin (Warrior of the Holy Light) 2 l AC 19 T 12 FF 17 l CMD 17 I HP 22/22 l F +10 R +6 W +8 l Init +2 l Perc +1

Alden nods in acknowledgment. "I will be across the way at the general store, if anyone else wishes to make final purchases. I will return here so that we can form up and be on our way. " Alden sets down his mug, picks up his helm and exits the inn. He heads over to the general store and purchases: a piton, a 50' ball of twine, and three wandermeal cakes, spending his remaining one silver and four copper coins.

After packing away the new gear and provisions, he returns to the inn common room. "Master Garon, do you have a map, or can you give us precise directions to the citadel ruins?"


Male Halfling Rogue 1 | HP 16/16 | AC 18 / 20 if nimble dodge | F+5 R+9 W+7 | Perc+7 |

Boros follows Alden to the general store. "Ssssso how far is the sssssunlesssss cccitadel?" he asks the storekeep, feeling annoyed at how many "s" sounds were in the phrase. He needed to practice keeping that sound shorter.

He makes sure to buy enough rations to go there and back, and have a few days for exploring. He also buys some rope.

Liberty's Edge

Male Half Elf Bard 1 HP 8 |AC 12 (Touch 10; FF 11) | F +2; R +2; W +2 | GRP +2 | Speed 30 ft | Init +0 | Spot +1 Bard 1

Meiril turns to Alden as he comes back. "I have a donkey if we need to carry things."


Oakhurst

When asked, either at the Inn or shop, about the distance to the Citadel you receive answers of "Just about seven miles." or "You walkin? bout a half day walk down the Old Road. Won't get lost, nowhere to go down that road except to the ruins."

I am going to make a second post moving things forward. Please feel free to still take time to purchase what you might need and make a post about it. It can even be a quick shopping list like Alden.

Alden Cooperson 12/12 | Boros the Snake 8/8 | Emma of Wye 11/11 | Meiril Malwood 8/8 | Syrain Blowblossom 8/8


Oakhurst

“All things roll here: horrors of midnights,
Campaigns of a lost year,
Dungeons disturbed, and groves of lights;
Echoing on these shores, still clear,
Dead ecstasies of questing knights-
Yet how the wind revives us here!”
- Arthur Rimbaud

As you travel, you realize that you are thankful that you left Oakhurst this morning. The overgrown Old Road winds through rocky downs, near stands of old-growth oak, and past three abandoned farm shacks. The lonely road is empty of all travelers except for this newly founded party. Before leaving you learned that the distance down the Old Road to the Citadel is roughly 7 miles. Without horses, this will take you a half a day’s walk.

Though there was mention of goblin attacks on this road, you see no sighting of the fowl creatures.

Spot DC 15:

As you make your way, you do notice small sized tracks that look as if they could be goblin tracks. Though, it has been sometime since they have been around here.

The Old Road passes to the east of a narrow ravine. At the road’s closest approach to the cleft, several broken pillars jut from the earth where the ravine widens and opens into something more akin to a deep, but narrow, canyon. Two of the pillars stand straight, but most of the lean against the sloped earth. Others are broken, and several have apparently fallen into the darkness-shrouded depths. A few similar pillars are visible on the opposite side of the ravine.

What does everyone do?

Alden Cooperson 12/12 | Boros the Snake 8/8 | Emma of Wye 11/11 | Meiril Malwood 8/8 | Syrain Blowblossom 8/8


Male Human Paladin (Warrior of the Holy Light) 2 l AC 19 T 12 FF 17 l CMD 17 I HP 22/22 l F +10 R +6 W +8 l Init +2 l Perc +1

Spot Check: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18

"There are some old tracks here; small, humanoid. Could be goblins, though it doesn't look like they have been here recently," Alden says, indicating the tracks on the Old Road with his foot. "Unless, I have missed my guess, those pillars are the ruins of this Sunless Citadel we seek." He points to the pillars and ravine.


Once out and on the road, Emma wanders over to the edge of the road running through the forest and kneeling down she makes a strange, almost growling sound and a few moments later, a large grey wolf appears like a ghost from the woods.

"This is my friend and protector, Pooka. Please let him sniff each of you so he knows who is a companion and who is not. Do not worry, he will not harm you."


Male Human Paladin (Warrior of the Holy Light) 2 l AC 19 T 12 FF 17 l CMD 17 I HP 22/22 l F +10 R +6 W +8 l Init +2 l Perc +1

Alden removes his gauntlet and overs his hand to the wolf without reservation. If I wish my companions to trust me, I must show that I trust them, he silently reminds himself. "Well met, Pooka."

Once the creature ceases sniffing, he replaces the gauntlet and waits patiently for it to greet the others.


Male Halfling Rogue 1 | HP 16/16 | AC 18 / 20 if nimble dodge | F+5 R+9 W+7 | Perc+7 |

Boros does indeed buy some rope, and another 3 days' rations.

* * *

"Yikes!" Boros cowers behind Syrian as a wolf suddenly appears. Definitely not something he was familiar with. "Are you ssssure he doesn't eat halfling?" He seems perfectly happy to stay behind Syrian, though he does risk extending a hand as the elf gets closer.

He then looks at the ravine. "What could've caused thisss? And is there ssssuppposed to be a bridge across thisss thing?" Boros peers down into the ravine, trying to study its depths.


Male Half-Elf Cleric of Corellon Larethian 1

Spot: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

Syrain looks around startled as Alden announces the small tracks, and his hand drops to his sheathed longsword. When Alden announces that the tracks are not fresh, Syrain looks somewhat disappointed. He says, I suspect you are correct, Alden. Let's check them out.".

Upon seeing Pooka, a broad smile crosses Syrain's face. "A welcome companion, indeed! Well met, Pooka.". He stretches his hand out for Pooka to sniff and then slowly places it on top of Pooka's head to pet him. Turning to Boros, he says: "See? Nothing to worry about. He's a good boy."

Liberty's Edge

Male Half Elf Bard 1 HP 8 |AC 12 (Touch 10; FF 11) | F +2; R +2; W +2 | GRP +2 | Speed 30 ft | Init +0 | Spot +1 Bard 1

get some rations too

Meiril throws some jerky for the wolf.

"Nice boy!"

He then turns to Alden. "I agree with Syrain. Let's check them out. Perhaps they're the missing children."


Male Human Paladin (Warrior of the Holy Light) 2 l AC 19 T 12 FF 17 l CMD 17 I HP 22/22 l F +10 R +6 W +8 l Init +2 l Perc +1

"That is possible," Alden says nodding in agreement. "Despite noticing the tracks, I must admit I am not trained in woodcraft or hunting. If the tracks aren't fairly obvious, I will certainly lose them in short order. Are any of you experienced hunters or trackers? Perhaps our friend, Pooka might be able to pick up the trail?" he suggests.


Emma and Pooka move forward and take a look at the trail.

spot: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13
tracking: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28


Male Halfling Rogue 1 | HP 16/16 | AC 18 / 20 if nimble dodge | F+5 R+9 W+7 | Perc+7 |

Boros eases up as Emma and Pooka press forward. Happy to allow Pooka to be at the head of the party, He keeps an eye out for trouble.
Spot: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9


Oakhurst

As Boros stands and looks down into the ravine, he notices a few things. The first one which could have been thought to be part of the rope bridge, is a sturdy knotted rope tied to one of the leaning pillars. The rope hangs down into the darkness below. From the good condition that the room is in, it could not have been hung here any longer than two or three weeks ago. You also realize that the pillars are worn and broken, covered in graffiti in dwarven alphabet.

Character who know Dwarven AND Goblin:

Though it is in some kind of cruel blend between dwarves and goblin, you recognize the inscriptions as warnings and threats against potential trespassers.

With the help from Alden, everyone can see the old tracks. Emma & Pooka set into action looking for the trail. After a short amount of time 10-15 minutes you realize that there is no “trail,” except that they have been all over this area. All headed towards the pillars and the ravine.

Looking a little closer at the ravine, you see older weathered hand and footholds carved into the face of the cliff. All of them seem impossibly small for most of you to climb, except Boros.

What does everyone do?

Alden Cooperson 12/12 | Boros the Snake 8/8 | Emma of Wye 11/11 | Meiril Malwood 8/8 | Syrain Blowblossom 8/8


Male Human Paladin (Warrior of the Holy Light) 2 l AC 19 T 12 FF 17 l CMD 17 I HP 22/22 l F +10 R +6 W +8 l Init +2 l Perc +1

"The rope is new; possibly left by the missing twins. It seems our time to enter the citadel has come. Unless there are any objections, I volunteer to go down first," Alden says.

Liberty's Edge

Male Half Elf Bard 1 HP 8 |AC 12 (Touch 10; FF 11) | F +2; R +2; W +2 | GRP +2 | Speed 30 ft | Init +0 | Spot +1 Bard 1

Meiril translates for everyone. "Those writings are the inscriptions as warnings and threats against potential trespassers. But they look old to me!" He turns Alden. "By all means!" He ties his donkey to a tree nearby.

"Be safe old girl!!"

I hope she's OK


Pooka whines as he sees the others getting ready to climb down the hole.

"Sorry boy...wish you could be with us...but you need to stay up here and protect Meiril's donkey. We should not be too long!"

She hugs the great grey wolf, burring her face into the ruff around his neck. Pooka leans into the hug and gives a very low sort of non-threatening growl. When Emma releases him, he moves over near the donkey...staying out of the creature's kicking radius, and lays down.


Male Halfling Rogue 1 | HP 16/16 | AC 18 / 20 if nimble dodge | F+5 R+9 W+7 | Perc+7 |

Boros is clearly puzzled by the graffiti. "Weird how it's a mix of dwarven AND goblin, don'cha think? Those are two kinds that don't get along."

Boros notices the alternate set of footholds and handholds that only he is small enough to travel. "Say, this is pretty interesting. Could lead somewhere good."

Boros is not an especially good climber, but examines the alternate path to see if he could manage it. And to see if anything else has traveled it. +0 to climb checks after accounting for armor check penalty.
Spot: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6

1 to 50 of 282 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Mr Clint's Sunless Citadel All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.