GM Bret’s Outpost V Lodge of the Living God (Inactive)

Game Master BretI

Maps and handouts
Player notes because there are just that many NPCs!
Character macros sheet


1 to 50 of 535 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

The Festering Blot | Tarnbreaker’s Trail

Please dot & delete


The Festering Blot | Tarnbreaker’s Trail

You are passengers about the Queen of Elysium, a river sloop that is headed for the hamlet of Prophet’s Rest in southern Razmiran. You have been traveling for a few days on the sloop.

You were given two letters see handouts and a leather satchel containing 150 gp to help pay for renovations to the lodge.

There are two other groups of passengers hoping to disembark in Razmiran: a sullen and unfriendly group of Razmiran spice merchants returning home from abroad, and a family of five refugees from Lastwall fleeing the destruction of their nation by the Whispering Tyrant.

You expect to arrive in Prophet’s Rest tomorrow.

Radiant Oath

NG Half Elf Redeemer Champion of Milani 7 | AC 28 (29 w Shield) | HP 92/92 | P +10 F +13 R +9 W +12 | Def. Expl.:? | ◆ | ◇ ◈ | ↺ | | Hero Points: 1/3 | Focus Points: 1/1 |

"One more day of travel and then we see what this place is really like." Bastian muses as he stands by the rail. He hasn't worn his armour whilst on board, but you have probably seen him taking care of both weapons and armour. "You really do love to head for the heart of tyranny."

Bastian Sunbright, champion of Milani and Radiant Oath operative, will have been quite chatty on the journey, trying to get to know his companions and learn about them. You will know by now that he was born over ten thousand years ago, was trapped in a time loop and he really doesn't like Belimarius, the Runelord of Envy.

He is a tall, muscular and charismatic Snow-born Half Elf. Tattoos of runes and other arcane markings run all the way up his left hand side, from hip to ear and he has short, white hair. His ears have a small point and his eyes are human-like and a crystal green colour.

His Taldane is slightly accented but you know it is not his first language.

Radiant Oath

NG Half Elf Redeemer Champion of Milani 7 | AC 28 (29 w Shield) | HP 92/92 | P +10 F +13 R +9 W +12 | Def. Expl.:? | ◆ | ◇ ◈ | ↺ | | Hero Points: 1/3 | Focus Points: 1/1 |

Bastian will have tried to get to know both other groups of travellers, engaging the refugees first and the merchants second. He will have be amiable and have used his charm (Diplomacy +8) to get them to open up about themselves.


The Festering Blot | Tarnbreaker’s Trail

The family consists of the father Bresk, the mother Vanka, two boys and one girl. The eldest girl Zika looks to be on the cusp of becoming a teenager. The boy Karesk looks to be about ten years old and is somewhat quiet and reserved. The youngest girl Shelka is about three and like many of that age is rather rambunctious. The parents and eldest daughter spend much of their time trying to keep the youngest from being in the way of the sailors or getting into danger. “Shelka! Stop running on the deck!” is a frequent refrain that you here many times during the trip.

When Bastian approaches the three merchants, one of them steps forward while the other two position themselves to protect their bags. “Our products are already spoken for, we have nothing to trade with you.” says the merchant who steps forward. They seem a bit paranoid and most certainly unfriendly, never wanting anyone near them.


The Festering Blot | Tarnbreaker’s Trail

Anyone who wants to know what their character knows about Razmiran and its inhabitants may give me a Society (Recall Knowledge) or Diplomacy (Gather Information) check.
Please put the check in a spoiler, it is supposed to be a secret check.

Vigilant Seal

"I am number four" | 820-2004 | Female Duskwalker Elf Ancestry Oracle 6 with Witch Dedication | HP 54/54| AC 24 | F +8 R +12 W +12 | Perc +10 | 30 Speed (40 with Longstrider) | Focus 2/2 | Spells 1st 3/3 2nd 3/3 3rd 3/3 | Hero Points 1/3 | Campaign Coin 1/1 | Active Conditions: Darkvision; Resist Cold & Mental 2; Negative 1 ---

"Isn't this wonderful?" Tess comes up beside Bastian at the rail, and enjoys the spray of the water on her skin. Her curling red hair keeps escaping her ponytail and flies about her face. As she shrugs off her jacket to enjoy the mist, the tattoos that cover her arms like a full sleeve become visible -- skulls, bones, and Pharasma's spirals in intricate patterns all over her skin. "Bastian, I do believe that you are the oldest person I have had the pleasure of meeting. Well, except for Mom, but she's an immortal and that doesn't count. Am I the youngest you've met?" Then she grins. "Or perhaps you were a babysitter as a teen."

She watches with amusement as Shelka escapes her parents yet again, and kneels down to chat with the child. "Have you ever seen a story told with a string book before?" Tess pulls out a loop of string, and weaving her hands around tells the story of a plucky spider that keeps weaving a web until a small child -- in this case, Shelka -- wipes it away. Tess claps her hands, her fingers dropping out of the slip knots, and opens them to just have the loop of string, untangled once more. It's a silly little story, but fortunately, young children tend to be forgiving audiences.

Perform: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (6) + 10 = 16

"Whoops! That poor spider! Should we help her rebuild again, Miss Shelka?" Tess keeps the child busy until her parents can reclaim her.

On the ship, she asks others about the land of the Razmirans.

She would also like to examine the plants that they were given to plant at the lodge with Lore Herbalism, +8

Asking Questions:
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (20) + 10 = 30


The Festering Blot | Tarnbreaker’s Trail

Tess:

It is your understanding that most common Razmiri are poor and are closely monitored by the government. The clergy of Razmir are its upper and governing class and live in opulence.

One of the sailors mentions that he has heard rumors that undead minions of the Whispering Tyrant have been seen lurking near the northern coastline. The Razmiri priesthood have been keeping them at bay.

Tess has a +1 circumstance bonus to Make An Impression or Request things from citizens of Razmiran.

Shelka is delighted to have someone to tell her stories and play with her. She does ask Tess “Why do you have patterns on your skin?” at which point Vanka comes running up apologizing for the question.

The elder sister just looks relieved to have a small break.

Horizon Hunters

Female Human|Alchemist 2 [bomber]|26/26 HP|AC 18|F: +7 R: +9 W: +4|P: +4|Avoid Notice|Character Sheet|Alchemy: fire 3/6 acid 2/6

Vinny comes up on deck and joins Tess and Bastian. "So, we're off to Razmir, huh? This should prove interesting. I seem to recall hearing some things about them at some point..." She shrugs, thinking it will come to her eventually. She smiles at the mischievous Shelka and claps at Tess's string story. "What fun! Do you know any other stories? You'll have to show us sometime."

Society check:
Society: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12


The Festering Blot | Tarnbreaker’s Trail

Vinny:
You know that the country of Razmiran is named for and ruled by Razmir and that he claims he has passed the test of the Starstone. The country is only about 50 years old.

You haven’t heard any recent news about it.

Radiant Oath

NG Half Elf Redeemer Champion of Milani 7 | AC 28 (29 w Shield) | HP 92/92 | P +10 F +13 R +9 W +12 | Def. Expl.:? | ◆ | ◇ ◈ | ↺ | | Hero Points: 1/3 | Focus Points: 1/1 |

Gather Info:
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21


The Festering Blot | Tarnbreaker’s Trail

Bastian:
You learn that most common Razmiri are poor and are closely monitored by the government. The clergy of Razmir are its upper and governing class and live in opulence. You have a pretty good understanding of what topics to avoid in conversation — such as any criticism of Razmir or the church.

Your character gets a +1 circumstance bonus to Make An Impression or Request things from citizens of Razmiran.

Envoy's Alliance

F Half Elf Rogue 3 [Thief] | 32/32 HP | AC 20 | F: +5 R: +11 W: +9 | Perception: +9 | Avoid Notice | Character Sheet

Faerinaa will enjoy the fresh air and the scenery as it passes by, walking around the ship and stopping periodically, taking in the sights from all sides. While she's moving about, she tries to keep an eye out for any place she could stand where the spice merchants might not notice her while she eavesdrops on their conversion. If she sees a good location and opportunity, she'll slide into it quietly and listen for a bit, otherwise keep circling around.

Stealth:
Stealth: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (3) + 11 = 14

Perception:
Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (17) + 9 = 26

When she notices her companions gathering at the side of the ship, Faerinaa slowly meanders around until she approaches them and waves hello.
"Hey Vinny, hi everyone. So, we're going to Razmiran, right? Anyone ever been there before? I didn't really travel before the society, so its going to be my first time. Should be pretty interesting, I think!"

Society for Razmiran:
Society: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8


The Festering Blot | Tarnbreaker’s Trail

Faerinaa:
You discover a few things about the merchants. They don’t even talk among themselves all that much. They are very distrustful. They are better at noticing someone eavesdropping than you are at doing it. “Is that elven woman trying to spy on us again?” Oh, at least one of them also seems to only see you as an elf.

You know that the common people of Razmiran are prosperous and wholeheartedly love and worship Razmir.


The Festering Blot | Tarnbreaker’s Trail

Spoiler:
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13

Tess of Tosof wrote:
She would also like to examine the plants that they were given to plant at the lodge with Lore Herbalism, +8

Sorry, I had missed this in my response.

Tess has never seen nor heard of the Whispering Lily before and wishes she could stay long enough after the planting to see them bloom.

Vigilant Seal

"I am number four" | 820-2004 | Female Duskwalker Elf Ancestry Oracle 6 with Witch Dedication | HP 54/54| AC 24 | F +8 R +12 W +12 | Perc +10 | 30 Speed (40 with Longstrider) | Focus 2/2 | Spells 1st 3/3 2nd 3/3 3rd 3/3 | Hero Points 1/3 | Campaign Coin 1/1 | Active Conditions: Darkvision; Resist Cold & Mental 2; Negative 1 ---
Shelka wrote:
"Why do you have patterns on your skin?"

"No, she's just curious," Tess smiles to Vanka. "I take no offense." Tess shows the curious girl the patterns, which are linked by spiderwebs. "My mum is a very strict pharasmite. She made me with all her love, and all her faith, and wanted me to remember the circle of life that links us all. This pattern reminds me of all of that."

Vinny wrote:
"What fun! Do you know any other stories? You'll have to show us sometime."

"I would love to! And you should share your stories."

Faerinaa wrote:
"So, we're going to Razmiran, right? Anyone ever been there before?"

"No, I have never been. But I know something of it. One of the sailors mentions that he has heard rumors that undead minions of the Whispering Tyrant have been seen lurking near the northern coastline. The Razmiri priesthood have been keeping them at bay."


The Festering Blot | Tarnbreaker’s Trail

Vanka is visibly relieved when Tess doesn’t take offense at the question. Then she blushes when Shelka turns to her and says “Mommy, do you and daddy have pictures on your skin? I don’t!” Bresk smiles, probably because the child is looking to her mother rather than him for an answer. Zika manages not to giggle. You’re not sure Karesk even heard the exchange.

——

The next day the Queen of Elysium pulls alongside the dock of the small Razmiri village of Prophet's Rest on a chilly late-winter morning, with the sun just beginning to burn the morning mist off the Glass River.

The rickety wooden dock is quiet, with only a few fishermen going about their business while a single guard in the yellow and purple colors of Razmiran leans lazily against a longspear. He jumps to attention when the ship's gangplank comes crashing down, then lumbers toward the ship, stretching his cold limbs.

As the other passengers move to disembark, a priest of Razmir appears out of the fog. He wears an iron mask and white robes and comes flanked by two more guards. The priest places himself at the bottom of the gangplank, ready to meet the travelers.

The first group to descend is the group of three poorly-clad Razmiri merchants carrying goods in large sacks on their backs. They hand a small bag to the priest, who peers inside, then nods and gestures for them to move on.

Next is Bresk, Vanka and their three children. Bresk fishes through their packs and hand a few silver coins to the masked priest. He looks at the coins with obvious disdain and hands the money back, motioning for the family to return to the ship. When the parents shake their heads and begin to argue with him, he points at Zika (the eldest child) and states: “If you cannot pay the immigration fee, you may dedicate your child to the Razmiran priesthood instead.

New slides for the hamlet and a picture of the priest.

Radiant Oath

NG Half Elf Redeemer Champion of Milani 7 | AC 28 (29 w Shield) | HP 92/92 | P +10 F +13 R +9 W +12 | Def. Expl.:? | ◆ | ◇ ◈ | ↺ | | Hero Points: 1/3 | Focus Points: 1/1 |

In response to Tess

"I believe you are, Tess. And your iconography is superb." He looks intently at the patterns.

At the docks....

Whispered, to the Pathfinders, "We have funds to make things work here. I suggest we grease the palms here, pay for the Lastwallers and develop them as sympathetic contacts."

Vigilant Seal

"I am number four" | 820-2004 | Female Duskwalker Elf Ancestry Oracle 6 with Witch Dedication | HP 54/54| AC 24 | F +8 R +12 W +12 | Perc +10 | 30 Speed (40 with Longstrider) | Focus 2/2 | Spells 1st 3/3 2nd 3/3 3rd 3/3 | Hero Points 1/3 | Campaign Coin 1/1 | Active Conditions: Darkvision; Resist Cold & Mental 2; Negative 1 ---

Tess is already reaching in her pocket to pay the family's immigration fee with her own funds when Bastian speaks. "Do you want me to go talk to the guards, and find out what the immigration fee is? Or see if I can talk them down?"

She turns to Vanka. "I'd like to plead your case. What did you and your spouse do before coming here? Any special skills that I can brag about?"

Tess has a +1 to talk with Razmiris do to her extensive knowledge of their customs.

"Though this does not seem a nice place to settle... I wish that I could find them a nicer spot."


The Festering Blot | Tarnbreaker’s Trail

As Bastian and Tess are trying to figure out what the fee might be, the family turns back and tries to reboard the ship. They are stopped by the ship’s bosun, who loudly proclaims “Sorry, you only paid to be taken this far.

Tess goes over to talk to the parents. Vanka has been primary care giver for the children, taking in laundry and other tasks to help support the family. Bresk was an accountant but lately has taken any odd jobs he can find.

Given the reaction of the priest to the silvers, Tess and Bastian think the fee would likely be 10 gold. That is assuming someone can even convince the priest to accept it at all.

I will need a Deception, Diplomacy or Intimdiate check with the bribe fee.

Vigilant Seal

"I am number four" | 820-2004 | Female Duskwalker Elf Ancestry Oracle 6 with Witch Dedication | HP 54/54| AC 24 | F +8 R +12 W +12 | Perc +10 | 30 Speed (40 with Longstrider) | Focus 2/2 | Spells 1st 3/3 2nd 3/3 3rd 3/3 | Hero Points 1/3 | Campaign Coin 1/1 | Active Conditions: Darkvision; Resist Cold & Mental 2; Negative 1 ---

"I believe we can come to a solution here. A laundress and an accountant? These are skills that we most definitely will need in our new lodge!"

Tess approaches, the Razmirans, brimming with self-confidence. "I believe there has been a misunderstanding here, as this family has agreed to work for us. Your eminence," Tess bows, "we were invited at the express invitation of the exalted Narsen to found a lodge here in Prophet's Rest. Think of all the future custom you will earn, as so many future travelers will come here, pay fees and spend money. What is the entrance fee for our servants, who are here to help us express the will of Living God?"

Diplomacy+Razmiran Circumstance Bonus: 1d20 + 10 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 10 + 1 = 21

I probably should have used Deception here, but it's the same bonus and I do have Charming Liar feat. Bret I am guessing at titles here. Can you roll Tess a Religion or Society check for what she may know of actual Razmiri ranks?


The Festering Blot | Tarnbreaker’s Trail

Spoiler:
Tess of Tosof's Society (T): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20 Tess of Tosof's Perception (E): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27

Tess:
You know that the formal way to address a Razmiri priest would use the prefix Mask, their name, and what step they are. Step indicates how far up the steps the priest can come in the presence of the Living God.

Since you don’t know this priest’s name nor step, that isn’t possible here.

Tess would have said Mask Narsen above.

The priest seems a little mollified by Tess’s respectful manner. “A total of ten gold pieces would be sufficient if the family does not want to give up their eldest.” The priest reaches out their hand for the money.

At this point, the bosun says “For that amount, you could buy them passage out of this country.

The family doesn’t know which they want.
Let me know who you want to pay. Tess finds the bosun more friendly than the priest.


The Festering Blot | Tarnbreaker’s Trail

As you are finishing the negotiations, another priest of Razmir arrives. This one has a silver mask hiding all his facial features except his hazel eyes and wears blue silk robes with a cowl edged in silver thread. He does not have any guards with him.

He gives the slightest of nods to the black robed priest and says “Mask Lumley, thank you for greating our guests.

He then turns to you and says “Greetings! I am Mask Narsen, short for Mask of the Twelfth Step.

He gives you each a chance to introduce yourselves.

Please follow me, you are no doubt hungry after your trip.

He starts up the steep embankment from the docks. It is a ten minute walk from the docks into the hamlet.

If any of you wish to, you have time to talk with him during the walk.

As you enter the village, you see a ruin about a mile away on top of a tall promontory rock overlooking the village and the Glass River valley. Even from a distance, it looks to be in poor repair.

The buildings you pass on the way to the inn are all recently painted, and many windowsills are decorated with colorful flower boxes or draped with the yellow and purple flag of Razmiran. The hamlet looks rich and prosperous.

Mask Narsen leads you towards a two story stone building with a sign saying Melcat’s Folly Inn. It is the only stone building you have seen in the village.

Horizon Hunters

Female Human|Alchemist 2 [bomber]|26/26 HP|AC 18|F: +7 R: +9 W: +4|P: +4|Avoid Notice|Character Sheet|Alchemy: fire 3/6 acid 2/6

Vinny introduces herself to Mask Narsen and pats her belly when he mentions being hungry. "Oh yes, definitely hungry! Traveling always gives me quite an appetite." She hefts her bag onto her shoulder and follows on the walk through town. "What beautiful flowers on the windowsills!" she exclaims as she notices them. "I always love to see new flowers, my family has a florist shop back home and we're always looking for interesting and exotic blooms to add to our catalog."

Envoy's Alliance

F Half Elf Rogue 3 [Thief] | 32/32 HP | AC 20 | F: +5 R: +11 W: +9 | Perception: +9 | Avoid Notice | Character Sheet

Faerinaa whispers to the Vanka and gives her a small comforting squeeze on the shoulder while Tess talks to the priest. "It's going to be ok. We'll make sure things get worked out with your family together."

Once the issue of the family is resolved and the group is walking back with Narsen, Faerinaa will appreciateively examine the hamlet. "I have to say, I heard good things about your country, and it looks like it doesn't disappoint. This seems like a very nice town, and I'm looking forward to our work here."


The Festering Blot | Tarnbreaker’s Trail

I am glad to hear it. Appearances are important.

This town is actually under the care of Mask Lumley, the priest you met at the docks. My responsibility is with the establishment of the lodge.

Vigilant Seal

NG M Dwarf Champion-6; HP 100/100; Focus 1/1; HeroP 1/3; Potion lesser healing 1/1; AC 27(with shield); Fort +14; Ref +8; Will +13; poison resist/3; cold resistance/2; mental resistance/2;Perc +11; +1 to saves vs disease,; Active conditions: Shield (hardness 11, hp96/96). Default exploration: Defend;Action Symbols: (◆), (◆◆), (◆◆◆), (◇), (↺); sheet

Khaul, who really doesn't travel well by water it seems is ironically enough the last of the team to disembark. It's not that he doesn't want dry land beneath his feet, but rather, he's not 100% sure of being able to make the plank in his current state, and throwing up on it before everyone else disembarks would seem to be anti social.

As he lands on the dock, he stomps his feet a couple of times, as if reassuring himself of the solidity and lack of movement in the structure.

He offers Tess a grateful nod of appreciation. "That was a kindness lass. And a smart move too." As the rest of the team heads up the hill, the dwarf lets his short legs provide more than ample excuse for lagging behind a little. Still he can't help but stop at the odd bush and sniff the flowers.

Presming the group waits for him at the top of the hill, they find the dwarf quickly recovered by the fresh air and exercise. He extends his hand to the priest. "Khaul, of the Irontoe clan. And if yer dunnie mind me askin... is the lodge to me in the territory of Mask Lumley?"

Radiant Oath

NG Half Elf Redeemer Champion of Milani 7 | AC 28 (29 w Shield) | HP 92/92 | P +10 F +13 R +9 W +12 | Def. Expl.:? | ◆ | ◇ ◈ | ↺ | | Hero Points: 1/3 | Focus Points: 1/1 |

"Were you the one who suggested this Lodge? It seems a curious decision." Bastian asks politely.

To Khaul -

"It's good to see you back on solid ground, Khaul. Have you recovered from the Maze yet? I think it will take me a while to process. The view from Akiton was incredible."


The Festering Blot | Tarnbreaker’s Trail

The status of the lodge is still being negotiated, but since Prophet’s Rest is the nearest settlement I expect the lodge will often be interacting with those in Mask Lumley’s village.

Yes, it is I who convinced the Visions of the 15th Step that make up the highest echelon of the Razmiri government to allow your group access to our blessed nation and to establish a lodge. We can talk more about the details once we are at the local inn.

Vigilant Seal

"I am number four" | 820-2004 | Female Duskwalker Elf Ancestry Oracle 6 with Witch Dedication | HP 54/54| AC 24 | F +8 R +12 W +12 | Perc +10 | 30 Speed (40 with Longstrider) | Focus 2/2 | Spells 1st 3/3 2nd 3/3 3rd 3/3 | Hero Points 1/3 | Campaign Coin 1/1 | Active Conditions: Darkvision; Resist Cold & Mental 2; Negative 1 ---

Tess turns to Vanka and Bresk. "If you have no preference, I would love for you to stay with us. When founding a new lodge, it's important for us to have people we trust. And if you don't like the new town, when we leave, I will pay for your passage out so that you can come with us to Absalom."

Tess pays the 10 gold for the family's entrance fee. Just checked Tess's funds, and she can well afford to pay their way back as well if it's needed.

Tess smiles and turns to the Bosun. "Thank you good sir, but we'll be taking these friends with us for now."

Tess offers to help carry the family's gear, or even Shelka, who she will hoist onto her shoulders if the child and the family are comfortable with the assistance. "Oh, Prophet's Rest is such a pretty place. I do love these flowers!"

When Mask Narsen suggests that the town is under the care of the brute they met at the docks, Tess keeps her face serene, but is grateful that Khaul asked the question he did. "Mask Lumley! How charming. I'm sure that we all look forward to working with him," Tess says, lying with a sweet smile on her face.

Deception+Razmiri Bonus: 1d20 + 10 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 10 + 1 = 25

"May I ask where your seat is, Mask Narsen? In case we need to contact you later?"


The Festering Blot | Tarnbreaker’s Trail

With a chuckle, Mask Narsen admits “My seat is to be with the lodge once it is established. The village that I groomed has been given to another’s care several years ago so that I could concentrate on higher tasks.

Vigilant Seal

NG M Dwarf Champion-6; HP 100/100; Focus 1/1; HeroP 1/3; Potion lesser healing 1/1; AC 27(with shield); Fort +14; Ref +8; Will +13; poison resist/3; cold resistance/2; mental resistance/2;Perc +11; +1 to saves vs disease,; Active conditions: Shield (hardness 11, hp96/96). Default exploration: Defend;Action Symbols: (◆), (◆◆), (◆◆◆), (◇), (↺); sheet

"Aye laddie, the view was one to remember for the ages. Tah be honest, I'm not fully recovered from that maze. I'm sure that a little wooden boat wouldn't normally turn me stomach like that."

He looks a little surprised at Narsen's revelation.
"Yer wish ta also join the Pathfinders?" he asks.


The Festering Blot | Tarnbreaker’s Trail

I am not against such an idea.” Narsen says “However, what I meant is that I would be the contact between your society and the government. I believe your society has had arrangements like that in the past with different nations.

He steps up to the door to the inn and opens it,

Let’s get settled and we can talk about such things.

He waves you in.


The Festering Blot | Tarnbreaker’s Trail

As he enters the inn, he looks to a middle aged human female behind the bar and says “Lotte, do you have a private room for us to use?

She instantly jumps to her feet saying “It would be my pleasure, Mask Narsen!” and ushers him and your group into a back room. There you see a simple yet delicious lunch has been laid out on a table.

Narsen looks at Bresk and his family, then at your group. Guesturing towards them he asks “Are they with you?

—-

Narsen helps himself to a plate of food and sits. He gestures and says “Please, help yourselves! Once we all have our food and are seated, we can discuss the lodge in further detail.

Vigilant Seal

"I am number four" | 820-2004 | Female Duskwalker Elf Ancestry Oracle 6 with Witch Dedication | HP 54/54| AC 24 | F +8 R +12 W +12 | Perc +10 | 30 Speed (40 with Longstrider) | Focus 2/2 | Spells 1st 3/3 2nd 3/3 3rd 3/3 | Hero Points 1/3 | Campaign Coin 1/1 | Active Conditions: Darkvision; Resist Cold & Mental 2; Negative 1 ---

Tess doesn't hesitate. A family that did not have the entrance fee for Razmiran would not have money for food after such a long journey, and the children would be hungry. She smiles up at Narsen. "Yes, this is Bresk, our lodge's newest accountant, and Vanka, our head of housekeeping and concierge, and their children."

Tess is curious about all the food, and asks questions about each item. "Look, these potatoes have been mashed! And they put butter on them! And what are these tiny green round fruits?" she asks, pointing at the peas. Then she struggles to figure out how to get one of the peas on her fork, until she realizes that she can stick mashed potatoes on her fork, and then roll the mashed potatoes on to the peas. "Amazing!"

It is quite clear that she does not have a wide experience with mortal cuisines.


The Festering Blot | Tarnbreaker’s Trail
Tess of Tosof wrote:
Tess smiles up at Narsen. "Yes, this is Bresk, our lodge's newest accountant, and Vanka, our head of housekeeping and concierge, and their children."

Servants.” He nods, then looks over to Lotte and says “Please find a space for them.

He turns back to your group and explains “I doubt you will need them for this meeting.

Lotte escorts them out, yelling “Bessama! Where are you girl, I’ve a task for you!” as she closes the door.

Narsen makes no comment on Tess’s table manners, allowing those in her own group to answer her questions about the food. It is difficult to judge behind the mask, but you think he is amused by her antics.

Envoy's Alliance

F Half Elf Rogue 3 [Thief] | 32/32 HP | AC 20 | F: +5 R: +11 W: +9 | Perception: +9 | Avoid Notice | Character Sheet

Faerinaa helps herself to a heaping plate of food, and starts diggin in next to Tess. "Yup! Mashed potatoes are the best. You can also fry them up in oil so they're nice and crispy, or put them in stew...they're just tasty. Butter makes everything better too. Butter, and bacon."

"So...the lodge we're going to be setting up. What was it before we're turning it into a Pathfinder Lodge? Is it in good shape?"

Horizon Hunters

Female Human|Alchemist 2 [bomber]|26/26 HP|AC 18|F: +7 R: +9 W: +4|P: +4|Avoid Notice|Character Sheet|Alchemy: fire 3/6 acid 2/6

Vinny will also take a plate of food and sit down with Faerinaa. "Thanks again for the hospitality, Mask Narsen, much appreciated after the long trip. I'm really looking forward to looking around the new lodge, and meeting some more of the people of Razmir."


The Festering Blot | Tarnbreaker’s Trail

Narsen finishes chewing the food he was eating. Taking a napkin and wiping under the mask, he sets the napkin down.

Well, I was planning to eat before talking business. Seems you would prefer to get right into it.

He stands but motions the rest of you to stay sitting.

First let me thank you on behalf of the government of Razmiran for coming to Prophet’s Rest.

I have been making preparations for your arrival for several months now. As I stated while walking here, it was I who convinced the Visions of the 15th Step that make up the highest echelon of our government to allow the Pathfinder Society access to our blessed nation and establish a lodge here.

Part of that time was spent finding a suitable site. The site I am proposing is Fort Agate, the abandoned fort that you most likely saw on the walk here. The fort rests on a small tor just outside Prophet’s Rest. It is in poor repair, but I promise you that you will find the villagers of Prophet’s Rest willing to help with the necessary repairs — for a price, of course.

I would like to encourage you to see the site for yourselves as soon as possible. I fear that I am getting a bit old for tromping through the hills, but my understanding is that you are well trained for such activities.

With a gesture to Faerinaa, he says “In answer to the young elf’s question, the fort was last held by a bandit lord before the coming of Razmir, thrice-blessed be His name, but the ruin is several hundred years older than that. It was most likely built by a Taldan or Kellid lord long ago to control the estuary of the Glass River.

It may be in rough shape, but it has great bones!

Looking to Vinny, he says “You will have an opportunity to meet all the residents of Prophet’s Rest as you perform the repairs. There is also a skilled stonemason from the capital that I have brought here for you to hire. Junissa Yovitch is well known in Xer for her stone working skills.

Everyone in Prophet’s Rest is at your service for appropriate payment so that you may repair and restore Fort Agate.

He sits back down and says “Hopefully I have given you enough to discuss. I will answer questions as they come up.

He then takes another bite of his food.

Vigilant Seal

NG M Dwarf Champion-6; HP 100/100; Focus 1/1; HeroP 1/3; Potion lesser healing 1/1; AC 27(with shield); Fort +14; Ref +8; Will +13; poison resist/3; cold resistance/2; mental resistance/2;Perc +11; +1 to saves vs disease,; Active conditions: Shield (hardness 11, hp96/96). Default exploration: Defend;Action Symbols: (◆), (◆◆), (◆◆◆), (◇), (↺); sheet

Khaul eyes up the food warily. He [i]was[i] feeling better... mostly. But as soon as the smell of fresh food hits his nose, the dwarf turns a tad green.

"If it not be causin any offense.." he starts. "I think I might be skippin lunch today. Me stomach nay yet ready fer such a feast after being upped and downed on tha boat fer so long."

He doesn't leave the table, and is more than happy to down a mug of pretty much anything on offer.

He listens to Mask Narsen's words with interest, sipping as he does so.

"That does indeed sound to be an excellent site. Even if the bones be hundreds of years old, sitting on a Tor be a good position. And on behalf of ta Society we be most grateful for yer help in securing the locals and this stone mason for our restoration efforts. I take it tha keep itself be of stone then, and not a wooden work?"


The Festering Blot | Tarnbreaker’s Trail

Once again Narsen finishes his current food and wipes beneath the mask before answering.

Few buildings are all stone. Gates, portions of the roof, some of the beams are likely wood. You would need to inspect the fort, but I expect that you will need lumber for the repairs. Fortunately, if you check with carpenter Brumn you will find he has quite a stack of lumber that I had shipped here from Xer.

He then picks up a fresh raspberry tart and takes a bite. It would seem that he has many years of experience eating while masked.

Vigilant Seal

NG M Dwarf Champion-6; HP 100/100; Focus 1/1; HeroP 1/3; Potion lesser healing 1/1; AC 27(with shield); Fort +14; Ref +8; Will +13; poison resist/3; cold resistance/2; mental resistance/2;Perc +11; +1 to saves vs disease,; Active conditions: Shield (hardness 11, hp96/96). Default exploration: Defend;Action Symbols: (◆), (◆◆), (◆◆◆), (◇), (↺); sheet

"If yer dunnie mind me askin.." starts Rhuul.

"What be the story with the masks? I be meaning, they be fine masks and all, but what be the reason for them? And please be excusin me if it be a rude question. Tis me first time in your lands."


The Festering Blot | Tarnbreaker’s Trail

Once again, he waits to finish his food and uses the napkin before replying.

The masks are a symbol of our Living God, Razmir, may all praise his name. You likely noticed the material changes, lower ranking priests having masks of bronze or copper.

To be seen without a mask would be an embarrassment to any priest of Razmir.

Vigilant Seal

"I am number four" | 820-2004 | Female Duskwalker Elf Ancestry Oracle 6 with Witch Dedication | HP 54/54| AC 24 | F +8 R +12 W +12 | Perc +10 | 30 Speed (40 with Longstrider) | Focus 2/2 | Spells 1st 3/3 2nd 3/3 3rd 3/3 | Hero Points 1/3 | Campaign Coin 1/1 | Active Conditions: Darkvision; Resist Cold & Mental 2; Negative 1 ---

"Oh, we would not wish to cause embarrassment!" Tess smiles. "Mask Narsen, you said that 'Mask Narsen' is short for being a priest of the twelfth step, correct? Does that mean that 'Mask Narsen' is a title, and not a name? Is 'Mask Lumley' also a title and not a name? What step has he achieved?"

Tess leans forward, curiously. "I know that mask colors indicate ranks. Do your robe colors do as well? And if you have two priests of the same rank in an area, how do you tell each other apart? Do you do it via jewelry, tattoos, hairstyles? I have never encountered the faith of the Living God before, as I was literally born into mine. My mum is a very strict pharasmite."


The Festering Blot | Tarnbreaker’s Trail

Mask Lumley would be of the Third Step. Since you are outsiders, the etiquette for formal address would be Mask Lumley of the Third Step.

What I did was give your group permission to refer to me as Mask Narsen without needing to include the full formal title. It would be quite a mouthful if you had to say the full title each time.” His tone as he says this is gentle but firm, like a teacher lecturing students. You can hear a mirthful tone as he said the last sentence.

In order to gain the answers to all those mysteries, you would have to join the church. Would that be of interest to you?

He waits a short time for her answer.

Speaking of churches, we do not allow the worship of other gods here. Do not engage in any sort of evangelism and avoid showing holy symbols of other gods while you are on the holy grounds of Razmiran.

With a gesture into the distance, he says “We have officially granted special compensation to those within Fort Agate, which is to become the local lodge. Within its walls the restrictions on religion are lifted.

Vigilant Seal

1 person marked this as a favorite.
NG M Dwarf Champion-6; HP 100/100; Focus 1/1; HeroP 1/3; Potion lesser healing 1/1; AC 27(with shield); Fort +14; Ref +8; Will +13; poison resist/3; cold resistance/2; mental resistance/2;Perc +11; +1 to saves vs disease,; Active conditions: Shield (hardness 11, hp96/96). Default exploration: Defend;Action Symbols: (◆), (◆◆), (◆◆◆), (◇), (↺); sheet

"That is mighty appreciated Mask Narsen. We'll keep the laws o' tha land front-o-tha-mind." says the slightly green dwarf.

"Yer dunnie remember tha name o' tha bandit what lorded over these here lands before tha comin of yer own Razmir do yer? We bein a historical society and such, have a bit of an interest in such lore."

Vigilant Seal

"I am number four" | 820-2004 | Female Duskwalker Elf Ancestry Oracle 6 with Witch Dedication | HP 54/54| AC 24 | F +8 R +12 W +12 | Perc +10 | 30 Speed (40 with Longstrider) | Focus 2/2 | Spells 1st 3/3 2nd 3/3 3rd 3/3 | Hero Points 1/3 | Campaign Coin 1/1 | Active Conditions: Darkvision; Resist Cold & Mental 2; Negative 1 ---

"Ah. Mask Narsen of the Twelfth Step and Mask Lumley of the Third Step. Thank you!" Tess smiles graciously, and then proceeds to roll her sleeves down to her wrists, covering the tattoos on her arms that bear Pharasma's iconography. "Is that better, Mask Narsen? My mum would be horribly disappointed if I converted, but I can avoid shocking the residents of the village by wearing long sleeves whenever I am outside the lodge."

"Also... would you mind giving me some seeds for these tiny green fruits?" Tess asks hopefully about the peas. "Perhaps we could plant an orchard of them outside the lodge. I'd also love some flowers, if the village would be willing to spare me a few cuttings. I am good with plants, especially medicinal ones."

Also, does this Inn have a name other than 'the Inn?'


The Festering Blot | Tarnbreaker’s Trail

I am sorry, so far I have not been able to find the name of the bandit lord. If you should find any clues on that in the fort, I would be interested.

Looking at Tess, he says “That is most appreciated. Although I was referring specifically to the holy symbols such as Pharasma’s spiral, it would be best if none of you tested the boundaries of the rules. There were several who were against allowing any exceptions.

Pushing his plate to the side, he asks “So, when will you be able to inspect the fort? I would suggest some care, it has been abandoned so long that I would be surprised if a wild animal or something hasn’t taken up residence there.

The view from the fort is supposed to be stupendous!


The Festering Blot | Tarnbreaker’s Trail
GM Bret wrote:
Mask Narsen leads you towards a two story stone building with a sign saying Melcat’s Folly Inn. It is the only stone building you have seen in the village.

I have also labeled it on the map of the village. I will add labels as you visit other locations.

Radiant Oath

1 person marked this as a favorite.
NG Half Elf Redeemer Champion of Milani 7 | AC 28 (29 w Shield) | HP 92/92 | P +10 F +13 R +9 W +12 | Def. Expl.:? | ◆ | ◇ ◈ | ↺ | | Hero Points: 1/3 | Focus Points: 1/1 |

Bastian has been listening intently to the conversation. Can I make a sense motive check on Narsen please? Bastian is suspicious.

He will also cover his shield for now, what with it having a bloody rose on the front!

He simply asks "Why do you want our Society here? It is a surprising request. Forgive my bluntness in asking, but I've been intrigued since I got the invitation."

1 to 50 of 535 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Bret’s Outpost V Lodge of the Living God All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.